Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year did both Maurice Heine and Gilbert Lely give as the birth year of Sade "the writer"?
2. Where does Courval spend most of his time?
3. Which author did Sade supposedly ignore because of his jealousy regarding the individual's success as a writer?
4. What writer loathed Sade and referred to him as "monster author"?
5. What did Sade call Villeterque at the opening of his reply to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Duclos continues her story on the First Day, what questions does Duc have regarding the story?
2. Why did Villeterque state that he would only address one of the questions that Sade posed in "Reflections on the Novel"?
3. What are the facts regarding the 150 Complex Passions?
4. What were the pairings of the "four libertines"?
5. What are the stage directions for Act Three?
6. What was the progression of the novel throughout history?
7. Why does Duclos' story get interrupted on the First Day?
8. Why does Herman want to wait to marry?
9. Describe Mademoiselle de Florville.
10. What did the writings of Crebillion speak about?
Essay Topic 1
Do you agree with Villeterque's point of view on Sade's writings? Why/Why not? With what part of his statements do you agree? Why? With what part of his statements do you disagree? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the character of Oxtiern in the play "Oxtiern" and in the story "Ernestine." How are the depictions similar? How are they different? Which Oxtiern did you find more offensive? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Although Sade was an atheist, do you think that he believed himself to be "god-like" or divine? What qualities did he show that would cause one to believe that Sade carried himself like a god? Or, do you believe that Sade thought himself to be simply mortal? Why?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)