|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the only thing that Sade believed would fulfill his existence?
2. In March of 1793, how old was Sade?
3. Villeterque accused Sade of portraying villains who were _________.
4. According to Freud, what is "the life instinct"?
5. How old was Florville when Saint-Agne proposed to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Sade, how did Villeterque use "out of context isolated phrases"?
2. What was the progression of the novel throughout history?
3. Why did Villeterque state that Sade held "erroneous opinions"?
4. Why did man write novels?
5. What does the "arranger" believe will not please Courval about Florville's conduct?
6. Why did Villeterque state that he would only address one of the questions that Sade posed in "Reflections on the Novel"?
7. What did Sade state about Vileterque's response to "Les Crimes de l'Amour"?
8. What two things does the "arranger" believe Florville has that count against her?
9. Describe Mademoiselle de Florville.
10. What did Sade believe regarding motion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you believe that Sade's writings were pornographic? Or, did he go beyond pornographic for you (as a reader)? Were there specific actions that you would consider "going a little too far"? Or, do you believe that Sade went just far enough?
Essay Topic 2
In your opinion, was Duc, the Bishop, the President de Curval, or Durcet the most deviant character? Which character do you believe to be the least deviant? Why? Use textual evidence to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In "Must We Burn Sade?" Simone de Beauvior stated that he believed that Sade's hatred of his mother was "the key to his life and work." What do you believe this to mean? Given that not much is known about Sade's life as a child, what could one assume that Sade's hatred for his mother was based upon? (Hint: Freud is mentioned in this section. What would Freud say?)
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)