|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Florville when Saint-Agne proposed to her?
2. On what holiday did Sade terrorize Rose Keller?
3. What writer loathed Sade and referred to him as "monster author"?
4. During the storming of the Bastille, how many volumes of Sade's library were looted?
5. According to Beauvoir, what did Sade long for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Sade believe that the original and eternal Nature existed?
2. Why did Villeterque state that Sade held "erroneous opinions"?
3. According to Pierre Klossowski, why could God be viewed as "the original guilty party"?
4. What were Sade's beliefs about giving the title of "novel" to a written work?
5. Describe Mademoiselle de Florville.
6. According to Beauvoir, what was Sade like at the age of twenty-three?
7. Why did man write novels?
8. What two things does the "arranger" believe Florville has that count against her?
9. According to Beauvoir, what did Sade fear?
10. Through what "relationship" does Sade "compel our attention"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you believe that Sade appropriately defended himself in his response to Villeterque? In what ways did Sade appropriately defend himself? In what ways did he fail to defend himself? Do you believe that Sade wrote the best response that he could to Villeterque? Why/Why not?
Essay Topic 2
In your opinion, was Duc, the Bishop, the President de Curval, or Durcet the most deviant character? Which character do you believe to be the least deviant? Why? Use textual evidence to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you believe that the "Passions" moved from "complex" to "criminal" to "murderous"? What was the progression? What changed as the "Passions" progressed? Why do you believe the "Passions" changed?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)