Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year did both Maurice Heine and Gilbert Lely give as the birth year of Sade "the writer"?
2. Where does Courval spend most of his time?
3. Which author did Sade supposedly ignore because of his jealousy regarding the individual's success as a writer?
4. What writer loathed Sade and referred to him as "monster author"?
5. What did Sade call Villeterque at the opening of his reply to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Duclos continues her story on the First Day, what questions does Duc have regarding the story?
2. Why did Villeterque state that he would only address one of the questions that Sade posed in "Reflections on the Novel"?
3. What are the facts regarding the 150 Complex Passions?
4. What were the pairings of the "four libertines"?
5. What are the stage directions for Act Three?
6. What was the progression of the novel throughout history?
7. Why does Duclos' story get interrupted on the First Day?
8. Why does Herman want to wait to marry?
9. Describe Mademoiselle de Florville.
10. What did the writings of Crebillion speak about?
Essay Topic 1
Many ancient cultures, dating back over 4,000 years, boasted very sexual imagery. Some of the imagery was very perverse in nature. While perverse, the desire for such imagery remained among many of the great cultures. Based upon this, do you believe that Sade's writings had a place in his own culture? Why/Why not? Why do you think that writings, such as Sade's, were desired among the great societies of the world?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you believe that Sade found it necessary to describe his characters from "120 Days of Sodom" in such depth? What did the depth of the description do for you as a reader? Did the description cause you to feel differently about the character than if they were not described in such depth? Why? What do you think a more "lacking" description would have done for you as a reader?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you believe that the "Passions" moved from "complex" to "criminal" to "murderous"? What was the progression? What changed as the "Passions" progressed? Why do you believe the "Passions" changed?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)