|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Given that Beauvoir stated that he found no "hint of ambition" in Sade, what did Beauvoir state that he believed about Sade?
2. To what Roman goddess does Courval compare Florville?
3. According to Sade, the truly honest man refuses to deal in ____________.
4. What does Courval's wife devote herself to after leaving him?
5. At the end of his review, what did Villeterque say would happen to Rousseau, Voltaire, Marmontel, Fielding, and Richardson?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Sade say about the effect that "insults directed by jealousy" had on a "man of letters"?
2. What two things does the "arranger" believe Florville has that count against her?
3. What did Klossowski quote from "The 120 Days of Sodom" regarding happiness?
4. Where did Sade believe that the original and eternal Nature existed?
5. Through what "relationship" does Sade "compel our attention"?
6. What do Sade's admirers admit about Sade's work?
7. According to Beauvoir, what did Sade fear?
8. Why did man write novels?
9. What did Sade say that Voltaire did when he wrote?
10. What does the "arranger" believe will not please Courval about Florville's conduct?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Women have fought over Sade's writing. Angela Carter ("The Sadeian Woman: And the Ideology of Pornography" (1979)) believed Sade to be a "moral pornographer." Andrea Dworkin ("Pornography: Men Possessing Women" (1979)) saw Sade as the model of the "woman-hating pornographer." With whom do you agree? Did Sade hate women, or did he create a "special place" for women in the lives of men?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you believe that the "Passions" moved from "complex" to "criminal" to "murderous"? What was the progression? What changed as the "Passions" progressed? Why do you believe the "Passions" changed?
Essay Topic 3
In an age where technology reigns supreme, people are mystified and obsessed with criminals. This is evidenced by television shows which feature serial killers and movies that are meant to disgust and frighten. Do you think that society is ready for Sade? Why/Why not?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)