|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Klossowski state was the only way Sadean conscience recovers her liberty?
2. Who ordered a mistress of a brothel to stop giving women to Sade?
3. According to Sade, who needed to be classified as poets and not novelists?
4. According to Beauvoir, what did Sade come to know at an early age?
5. Who were the first novelists in Europe where "we dwell today"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way did Klossowski believe that Sade looked at man as a competitor of Nature?
2. What does Florville require of Courval before she will agree to marry him?
3. According to Beauvoir, what did Sade fear?
4. What does Courval do to find a new wife?
5. What was Sade's last wish to be respected?
6. What did Klossowski quote from "The 120 Days of Sodom" regarding happiness?
7. What did the writings of Crebillion speak about?
8. According to Pierre Klossowski, why could God be viewed as "the original guilty party"?
9. What two things does the "arranger" believe Florville has that count against her?
10. Why is Courval considering remarrying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you believe that Sade's writings were pornographic? Or, did he go beyond pornographic for you (as a reader)? Were there specific actions that you would consider "going a little too far"? Or, do you believe that Sade went just far enough?
Essay Topic 2
In an age where technology reigns supreme, people are mystified and obsessed with criminals. This is evidenced by television shows which feature serial killers and movies that are meant to disgust and frighten. Do you think that society is ready for Sade? Why/Why not?
Essay Topic 3
While it is a fact that Sade's writing was banned for close to 170 years in France, it was also banned in England and the United States. Why do you think that the ban was lifted on the text? What about the text did some find worthy of lifting the ban? Would you have lifted the ban? Why/Why not?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)