|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to "Must We Burn Sade?" what happened to Sade's manuscripts?
(a) They were burned.
(b) They were banned.
(c) They were stolen.
(d) They were lost.
2. With what people did the novel originate?
(a) The Egyptions.
(b) The Palestinians.
(c) The Greeks.
(d) The Moors.
3. How many children does Courval have?
4. In what year was Sade imprisoned for debt?
5. Given that Beauvoir stated that he found no "hint of ambition" in Sade, what did Beauvoir state that he believed about Sade?
(a) He would be burned for his sins.
(b) He was a coward.
(c) He was satisfied living a mundane life.
(d) He was bound for greatness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Courval spend most of his time?
2. Who engineered Sade's escape form Miolans?
3. What was Voltaire's purpose in writing?
4. According to Freud, what is "the life instinct"?
5. What does Courval's wife devote herself to after leaving him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Sade say about the effect that "insults directed by jealousy" had on a "man of letters"?
2. According to Pierre Klossowski, why could God be viewed as "the original guilty party"?
3. What does the "arranger" believe will not please Courval about Florville's conduct?
4. In what way did Klossowski believe that Sade looked at man as a competitor of Nature?
5. What was the contradiction that Villeterque set up regarding glory, virtue, and villainy?
6. What did Sade say that Voltaire did when he wrote?
7. Why did Sade state that he did not want to make vice attractive in his writings?
8. What was the description of Sade from March 1793?
9. According to Sade, how did Villeterque use "out of context isolated phrases"?
10. According to Beauvoir, what did Sade fear?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)