|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Villeterque wonders about the painting of scenes where crime reigns __________.
(a) As Nature wanted.
2. According to Sade, the Romans had the weaknesses of ________________.
(a) Prayer and love.
(b) Spite and malice.
(c) Hate and power.
(d) Lust and love.
3. How many children does Courval have?
4. What did Sade accuse Villeterque of quoting?
(a) Out of context delusions.
(b) Out of context isolated phrases.
(c) Out of context passages of dialogue.
(d) Out of context passages of lust.
5. What did Sade "push to a point" where "it will be invested with the form of a truly transcendental fatalism"?
(a) Materialistic atheism.
(b) Crime and ounishment.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Beauvoir, what did Sade come to know at an early age?
2. What was Voltaire's purpose in writing?
3. Which author did Sade supposedly ignore because of his jealousy regarding the individual's success as a writer?
4. In March of 1793, how old was Sade?
5. During the storming of the Bastille, how many volumes of Sade's library were looted?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Sade state that he did not want to make vice attractive in his writings?
2. What did Sade say that Voltaire did when he wrote?
3. Why did Villeterque state that Sade held "erroneous opinions"?
4. Why is Courval considering remarrying?
5. What does Courval do to find a new wife?
6. What was the progression of the novel throughout history?
7. In what way did Klossowski believe that Sade looked at man as a competitor of Nature?
8. What did Klossowski quote from "The 120 Days of Sodom" regarding happiness?
9. Describe Mademoiselle de Florville.
10. What did the writings of Crebillion speak about?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)