|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Florville want to tell Courval before they marry?
(a) The story about her finding God.
(b) The adventures of her life.
(c) The story of her parents.
(d) The story behind her affair.
2. According to "Must We Burn Sade?" what happened to Sade's manuscripts?
(a) They were banned.
(b) They were lost.
(c) They were stolen.
(d) They were burned.
3. What writer loathed Sade and referred to him as "monster author"?
4. What was Voltaire's purpose in writing?
(a) To put forth new knowledge.
(b) To admonish culture.
(c) To insert philosophy in his novels.
(d) To create law.
5. How many years longer does Sade say that Courval will live?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Courval spend most of his time?
2. Villeterque wonders about the painting of scenes where crime reigns __________.
3. How old is Florville during the action of the story?
4. What did Sade believe Villeterque's insults were "dictated by"?
5. According to Sade, the truly honest man refuses to deal in ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mademoiselle de Florville.
2. Through what "relationship" does Sade "compel our attention"?
3. What did Sade say that Voltaire did when he wrote?
4. Why did Villeterque state that Sade held "erroneous opinions"?
5. What did Klossowski state that Sade believed regarding "Nature in a state of perpetual motion"?
6. What did Sade say about the effect that "insults directed by jealousy" had on a "man of letters"?
7. What two things does the "arranger" believe Florville has that count against her?
8. What does Courval do to find a new wife?
9. According to Pierre Klossowski, why could God be viewed as "the original guilty party"?
10. Why is Courval considering remarrying?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)