|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What "matter" does Courval state "concerns me not the least"?
(a) Her birth.
(b) Her sin.
(c) Her religion.
(d) Her modesty.
2. How old is Florville during the action of the story?
3. In what year did Sade publish "Les Crimes de l'Amour"?
4. Madame de Verquin tries to set Florville up with __________.
(b) A slave boy.
(c) An officer in the Navy.
5. According to Klossowski, what philosopher opposed the sufferings of the innocent?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many questions did Villeterque state he would "bother with"?
2. What book did Sade say that Villeterque had not read, based upon his "stupid account"?
3. Villeterque accused Rousseau, Voltaire, Marmontel, Fielding, and Richardson of "painting" ____________.
4. How many years longer does Sade say that Courval will live?
5. Why did Beauvoir state that Sade "mistrusted everything and everybody"?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Beauvoir, what was Sade like at the age of twenty-three?
2. Describe Mademoiselle de Florville.
3. What did Sade believe regarding motion?
4. According to Sade, how did Villeterque use "out of context isolated phrases"?
5. Why did Sade state that he did not want to make vice attractive in his writings?
6. What did Sade say that Voltaire did when he wrote?
7. Why did Villeterque state that Sade held "erroneous opinions"?
8. What was the progression of the novel throughout history?
9. What did Sade state about Vileterque's response to "Les Crimes de l'Amour"?
10. According to Beauvoir, what did Sade fear?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)