|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who taught Florville to live a virtuous life?
2. Who had written successful novels, although he "indulged vice and strayed from virtue"?
3. What does Florville want to tell Courval before they marry?
(a) The story behind her affair.
(b) The adventures of her life.
(c) The story of her parents.
(d) The story about her finding God.
4. How many questions did Villeterque say that Sade had raised in "Reflections on the Novel"?
5. Who mistreated a poor family and then called for his own punishment by whipping?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "Journees amusantes"?
2. What book did Sade say that Villeterque had not read, based upon his "stupid account"?
3. Who did Beauvoir state embodied Sade's failure?
4. Madame de Verquin tries to set Florville up with __________.
5. What did Sade accuse Villeterque of quoting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two things does the "arranger" believe Florville has that count against her?
2. Why did man write novels?
3. What does the "arranger" believe will not please Courval about Florville's conduct?
4. Why did Villeterque state that Sade held "erroneous opinions"?
5. What were Sade's beliefs about giving the title of "novel" to a written work?
6. Why did Sade state that he did not want to make vice attractive in his writings?
7. What did Sade say that Voltaire did when he wrote?
8. What did Sade state about Vileterque's response to "Les Crimes de l'Amour"?
9. What was the description of Sade from March 1793?
10. According to Sade, how did Villeterque use "out of context isolated phrases"?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)