|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the storming of the Bastille, how many volumes of Sade's library were looted?
2. What is Courval's income, as noted by Sade?
(a) 5,000 francs.
(b) 15,000 francs.
(c) 25,000 francs.
(d) 10,000 francs.
3. Who had written successful novels, although he "indulged vice and strayed from virtue"?
4. According to Klossowski, "what we call crime must contain the key" to ___________.
(d) Societal aversions.
5. According to Freud, what is "the life instinct"?
Short Answer Questions
1. With what people did the novel originate?
2. How many things did Sade challenge Villeterque to do?
3. When does Nature find man "wrong"?
4. According to Beauvoir, what did Sade long for?
5. What does Florville want to tell Courval before they marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Sade say that Voltaire did when he wrote?
2. What was the contradiction that Villeterque set up regarding glory, virtue, and villainy?
3. What was Sade's last wish to be respected?
4. What were Sade's beliefs about giving the title of "novel" to a written work?
5. What did the writings of Crebillion speak about?
6. What do Sade's admirers admit about Sade's work?
7. What two things does the "arranger" believe Florville has that count against her?
8. In what way did Klossowski believe that Sade looked at man as a competitor of Nature?
9. Through what "relationship" does Sade "compel our attention"?
10. What was the progression of the novel throughout history?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)