|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book did Sade say that Villeterque had not read, based upon his "stupid account"?
(a) "L'Instituteur Philosophe."
(c) "Les Crimes de L'Amour."
(d) "Le Cocu de Lui-même."
2. How much did Florville receive from her adoptive mother upon her death?
(a) 500 francs a year.
(b) 4,000 francs a year.
(c) 2,000 francs a year.
3. According to Sade, the Romans had the weaknesses of ________________.
(a) Spite and malice.
(b) Lust and love.
(c) Prayer and love.
(d) Hate and power.
4. At what "level" did Freud look at life?
5. What chemist did Klossowski quote regarding his fears about Nature?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Klossowski, what philosopher opposed the sufferings of the innocent?
2. Who ordered a mistress of a brothel to stop giving women to Sade?
3. How old is Florville during the action of the story?
4. To what Roman goddess does Courval compare Florville?
5. In what year was Sade imprisoned for debt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Florville require of Courval before she will agree to marry him?
2. What did Klossowski state that Sade believed regarding "Nature in a state of perpetual motion"?
3. What did Sade believe regarding motion?
4. Through what "relationship" does Sade "compel our attention"?
5. According to Beauvoir, what did Sade fear?
6. What do Sade's admirers admit about Sade's work?
7. What two things does the "arranger" believe Florville has that count against her?
8. What did the writings of Crebillion speak about?
9. What does Courval do to find a new wife?
10. What was the contradiction that Villeterque set up regarding glory, virtue, and villainy?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)