|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what people did the novel originate?
(a) The Egyptions.
(b) The Palestinians.
(c) The Moors.
(d) The Greeks.
2. According to Sade, who needed to be classified as poets and not novelists?
(a) The miracle pageant writers.
(b) The troubadours.
(c) The satirists.
(d) The prose writers.
3. How old was Florville when Saint-Agne proposed to her?
4. According to Klossowski, what philosopher opposed the sufferings of the innocent?
5. In what cell was Sade kept while at Vincennes prison?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Klossowski, "the substitution of Nature in a state of perpetual motion for God signifies, not the arrival of a happier era for humanity," but ____________________.
2. How many years longer does Sade say that Courval will live?
3. What chemist did Klossowski quote regarding his fears about Nature?
4. To what Roman goddess does Courval compare Florville?
5. At the opening of "Florville and Courval," how old is Courval?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way did Klossowski believe that Sade looked at man as a competitor of Nature?
2. What two things does the "arranger" believe Florville has that count against her?
3. What was Sade's last wish to be respected?
4. What did Sade say about the effect that "insults directed by jealousy" had on a "man of letters"?
5. What does Florville require of Courval before she will agree to marry him?
6. Describe Mademoiselle de Florville.
7. According to Sade, how did Villeterque use "out of context isolated phrases"?
8. What did Sade say that Voltaire did when he wrote?
9. Why did Sade state that he did not want to make vice attractive in his writings?
10. What did Sade believe regarding motion?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)