|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what novel did Sade say virtue was best rewarded?
(a) "Les Dangers de la Bienfaisance."
(b) "Le Criminel Par Vertu."
(c) "Juliette et Raunai."
(d) "Le Président Mystifié."
2. How many questions did Villeterque state he would "bother with"?
3. Whom did Klossowski name as the "original guilty party"?
4. What was Voltaire's purpose in writing?
(a) To put forth new knowledge.
(b) To insert philosophy in his novels.
(c) To create law.
(d) To admonish culture.
5. What does Courval's wife devote herself to after leaving him?
Short Answer Questions
1. What character did Beauvoir claim had been created as a projection of Sade himself?
2. What did Sade believe Villeterque's insults were "dictated by"?
3. According to Sade, the Romans had the weaknesses of ________________.
4. How many things did Sade challenge Villeterque to do?
5. In what month was Sade married?
Short Essay Questions
1. Through what "relationship" does Sade "compel our attention"?
2. According to Pierre Klossowski, why could God be viewed as "the original guilty party"?
3. What does Courval do to find a new wife?
4. According to Beauvoir, what was Sade like at the age of twenty-three?
5. What did Klossowski state that Sade believed regarding "Nature in a state of perpetual motion"?
6. Why did man write novels?
7. What do Sade's admirers admit about Sade's work?
8. Why did Villeterque state that he would only address one of the questions that Sade posed in "Reflections on the Novel"?
9. What did the writings of Crebillion speak about?
10. What did Klossowski quote from "The 120 Days of Sodom" regarding happiness?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)