|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The purpose of Nature is ___________.
(a) Being a forgiver.
(b) Being a destroyer.
(c) Being an accuser.
(d) Being a creative evolutionist.
2. In what year was Sade imprisoned for debt?
3. Who taught Florville to live a virtuous life?
4. According to Beauvoir, what did Sade come to know at an early age?
(a) Resentment and violence.
(b) Hatred and violence.
(c) Hatred and sadism.
(d) Foulness and violence.
5. What kind of life did Florville live, according to a former colleague of Courval's?
(a) A secluded life.
(b) A sad life.
(c) An charmed life.
(d) A libertine life.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the opening of "Florville and Courval," how old is Courval?
2. What was the only thing that Sade believed would fulfill his existence?
3. How many things did Sade challenge Villeterque to do?
4. What did Sade state that "I have never written"?
5. Which author did Sade supposedly ignore because of his jealousy regarding the individual's success as a writer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the progression of the novel throughout history?
2. According to Sade, how did Villeterque use "out of context isolated phrases"?
3. What was the contradiction that Villeterque set up regarding glory, virtue, and villainy?
4. What does the "arranger" believe will not please Courval about Florville's conduct?
5. What were Sade's beliefs about giving the title of "novel" to a written work?
6. According to Beauvoir, what was Sade like at the age of twenty-three?
7. What did Sade say that Voltaire did when he wrote?
8. What do Sade's admirers admit about Sade's work?
9. What does Florville require of Courval before she will agree to marry him?
10. What did Sade state about Vileterque's response to "Les Crimes de l'Amour"?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)