|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Sade accuse Villeterque of quoting?
(a) Out of context delusions.
(b) Out of context isolated phrases.
(c) Out of context passages of lust.
(d) Out of context passages of dialogue.
2. In what year was Sade imprisoned for debt?
3. What did Sade state that "I have never written"?
(a) Sins against God.
(b) Sinful memories.
(c) Immoral books.
(d) Aberrations of Nature.
4. What "matter" does Courval state "concerns me not the least"?
(a) Her religion.
(b) Her birth.
(c) Her sin.
(d) Her modesty.
5. How many years longer does Sade say that Courval will live?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many things did Sade challenge Villeterque to do?
2. What kind of life did Florville live, according to a former colleague of Courval's?
3. According to Klossowski, what philosopher opposed the sufferings of the innocent?
4. How old was Florville when Saint-Agne proposed to her?
5. What character did Beauvoir claim had been created as a projection of Sade himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did man write novels?
2. Why did Villeterque state that Sade held "erroneous opinions"?
3. What was the progression of the novel throughout history?
4. What does Courval do to find a new wife?
5. According to Pierre Klossowski, why could God be viewed as "the original guilty party"?
6. Through what "relationship" does Sade "compel our attention"?
7. What did the writings of Crebillion speak about?
8. What were Sade's beliefs about giving the title of "novel" to a written work?
9. What did Sade say that Voltaire did when he wrote?
10. According to Beauvoir, what did Sade fear?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)