|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of his review, what did Villeterque say would happen to Rousseau, Voltaire, Marmontel, Fielding, and Richardson?
(a) They would "be found guilty of their crimes."
(b) They would be "read no more."
(c) They would "be revered."
(d) They would "be exhaulted."
2. What did Sade call Villeterque at the opening of his reply to him?
(a) Hack writer.
3. According to Sade, the truly honest man refuses to deal in ____________.
4. Who ordered a mistress of a brothel to stop giving women to Sade?
(a) An inspector.
(b) Sade's mother-in-law.
(c) Sade's mother.
(d) Sade's wife.
5. What did Sade believe Villeterque's insults were "dictated by"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What year did both Maurice Heine and Gilbert Lely give as the birth year of Sade "the writer"?
2. In what cell was Sade kept while at Vincennes prison?
3. In what year did Sade publish "Les Crimes de l'Amour"?
4. According to Klossowski, "what we call crime must contain the key" to ___________.
5. In what novel did Sade say virtue was best rewarded?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two things does the "arranger" believe Florville has that count against her?
2. In what way did Klossowski believe that Sade looked at man as a competitor of Nature?
3. What does Courval do to find a new wife?
4. According to Pierre Klossowski, why could God be viewed as "the original guilty party"?
5. Why did Villeterque state that Sade held "erroneous opinions"?
6. According to Sade, how did Villeterque use "out of context isolated phrases"?
7. What did Sade believe regarding motion?
8. Why did Villeterque state that he would only address one of the questions that Sade posed in "Reflections on the Novel"?
9. What did the writings of Crebillion speak about?
10. What was the description of Sade from March 1793?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)