Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what people did the novel originate?
(a) The Egyptions.
(b) The Greeks.
(c) The Moors.
(d) The Palestinians.
2. According to Klossowski, what philosopher opposed the sufferings of the innocent?
3. What name is given to "any work of imagination fashioned from the most uncommon adventures which men experience in the course of their lives"?
4. Who mistreated a poor family and then called for his own punishment by whipping?
5. Who were the first novelists in Europe where "we dwell today"?
(a) The Greeks.
(b) The Romans.
(c) The Gauls.
(d) The Italians.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who taught Florville to live a virtuous life?
2. What did Sade call Villeterque during his response to him?
3. In what cell was Sade kept while at Vincennes prison?
4. "Punishments are always ___________________ to the crime."
5. Who ordered a mistress of a brothel to stop giving women to Sade?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Villeterque state that he would only address one of the questions that Sade posed in "Reflections on the Novel"?
2. What was the description of Sade from March 1793?
3. In a short summary, what happens during the action of Duclos' story?
4. According to Sade, how did Villeterque use "out of context isolated phrases"?
5. Who assumes the task of the storytelling in December?
6. What did Sade say that Voltaire did when he wrote?
7. Describe Mademoiselle de Florville.
8. In what way did Klossowski believe that Sade looked at man as a competitor of Nature?
9. What are the facts regarding the 150 Criminal Passions?
10. When "the story opens," what are the circumstances surrounding Saunders?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)