|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Voltaire's purpose in writing?
(a) To insert philosophy in his novels.
(b) To create law.
(c) To put forth new knowledge.
(d) To admonish culture.
2. What did Sade state that "I have never written"?
(a) Sins against God.
(b) Immoral books.
(c) Aberrations of Nature.
(d) Sinful memories.
3. What was the only thing that Sade believed would fulfill his existence?
4. How many things did Sade challenge Villeterque to do?
5. On what holiday did Sade terrorize Rose Keller?
(c) New Year's.
(d) All Hallow's Eve.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of opinions does an author hold when they contradict their own views?
2. What "matter" does Courval state "concerns me not the least"?
3. What name is given to "any work of imagination fashioned from the most uncommon adventures which men experience in the course of their lives"?
4. What does Courval's wife devote herself to after leaving him?
5. According to Klossowski, what philosopher opposed the sufferings of the innocent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the "arranger" believe will not please Courval about Florville's conduct?
2. What were Sade's beliefs about giving the title of "novel" to a written work?
3. What did Sade say that Voltaire did when he wrote?
4. What did Sade believe regarding motion?
5. What does Courval do to find a new wife?
6. What was Sade's last wish to be respected?
7. According to Beauvoir, what was Sade like at the age of twenty-three?
8. What does Florville require of Courval before she will agree to marry him?
9. What two things does the "arranger" believe Florville has that count against her?
10. What did Sade state about Vileterque's response to "Les Crimes de l'Amour"?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)