|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do biographers fail to present in regard to Sade?
(a) A record of his crimes.
(b) An authentic portrait of him.
(c) An objective view on his work.
(d) A history of his life in Bastille.
2. Villeterque accused Rousseau, Voltaire, Marmontel, Fielding, and Richardson of saying that the way to happiness was _______________.
(b) Sin alone.
(c) Virtue alone.
(d) Loneliness with another.
3. According to Freud, what is "the life instinct"?
4. Whom did Klossowski quote about "original sin"?
(c) Joseph de Maistre.
5. At what "level" did Freud look at life?
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Nature find man "wrong"?
2. What did Klossowski state was the only way Sadean conscience recovers her liberty?
3. What did Sade call Villeterque during his response to him?
4. What did Sade accuse Villeterque of quoting?
5. What did Klossowski state was a "moral being and not a created being"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the writings of Crebillion speak about?
2. Why is Courval considering remarrying?
3. What did Klossowski quote from "The 120 Days of Sodom" regarding happiness?
4. What was the progression of the novel throughout history?
5. According to Beauvoir, what did Sade fear?
6. Why did Sade state that he did not want to make vice attractive in his writings?
7. What does Florville require of Courval before she will agree to marry him?
8. What does the "arranger" believe will not please Courval about Florville's conduct?
9. What did Sade believe regarding motion?
10. What were Sade's beliefs about giving the title of "novel" to a written work?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)