|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was the only place that Sade believed he could assert himself?
(a) A brothel.
(b) His home.
(c) His bed.
(d) In prison.
2. What did Sade accuse Villeterque of quoting?
(a) Out of context delusions.
(b) Out of context passages of dialogue.
(c) Out of context isolated phrases.
(d) Out of context passages of lust.
3. What does Florville want to tell Courval before they marry?
(a) The story behind her affair.
(b) The story of her parents.
(c) The story about her finding God.
(d) The adventures of her life.
4. Villeterque accused Rousseau, Voltaire, Marmontel, Fielding, and Richardson of saying that the way to happiness was _______________.
(a) Loneliness with another.
(b) Sin alone.
(c) Virtue alone.
5. What kind of feeling did Villeterque state that he had while reading Sade's work?
(a) Feeling of pride.
(b) Feeling of indignation.
(c) Feeling of calmness.
(d) Feeling of synthesis.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Nature find man "wrong"?
2. According to Sade, the truly honest man refuses to deal in ____________.
3. Whom did Klossowski name as the "original guilty party"?
4. According to "Must We Burn Sade?" what happened to Sade's manuscripts?
5. What was Voltaire's purpose in writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two things does the "arranger" believe Florville has that count against her?
2. What were Sade's beliefs about giving the title of "novel" to a written work?
3. What did Klossowski state that Sade believed regarding "Nature in a state of perpetual motion"?
4. Through what "relationship" does Sade "compel our attention"?
5. What was the progression of the novel throughout history?
6. Where did Sade believe that the original and eternal Nature existed?
7. Why did Villeterque state that he would only address one of the questions that Sade posed in "Reflections on the Novel"?
8. What was the description of Sade from March 1793?
9. What did Klossowski quote from "The 120 Days of Sodom" regarding happiness?
10. What do Sade's admirers admit about Sade's work?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)