|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Madame de Verquin tries to set Florville up with __________.
(a) A slave boy.
(b) An officer in the Navy.
2. What book did Sade say that Villeterque had not read, based upon his "stupid account"?
(a) "L'Instituteur Philosophe."
(c) "Les Crimes de L'Amour."
(d) "Le Cocu de Lui-même."
3. According to Klossowski, what philosopher opposed the sufferings of the innocent?
4. In what month was Sade married?
5. What kind of opinions does an author hold when they contradict their own views?
Short Answer Questions
1. "Punishments are always ___________________ to the crime."
2. During the storming of the Bastille, how many volumes of Sade's library were looted?
3. Who mistreated a poor family and then called for his own punishment by whipping?
4. According to Beauvoir, what did Sade long for?
5. What did Sade believe existed outside of the three kingdoms of species and creatures?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Klossowski state that Sade believed regarding "Nature in a state of perpetual motion"?
2. What was the contradiction that Villeterque set up regarding glory, virtue, and villainy?
3. Why did Villeterque state that Sade held "erroneous opinions"?
4. What did Klossowski quote from "The 120 Days of Sodom" regarding happiness?
5. What were Sade's beliefs about giving the title of "novel" to a written work?
6. What does Florville require of Courval before she will agree to marry him?
7. What was Sade's last wish to be respected?
8. Where did Sade believe that the original and eternal Nature existed?
9. What do Sade's admirers admit about Sade's work?
10. According to Sade, how did Villeterque use "out of context isolated phrases"?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)