|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the opening of "Florville and Courval," how old is Courval?
2. According to Sade, the truly honest man refuses to deal in ____________.
3. How many children does Courval have?
4. What book did Sade say that Villeterque had not read, based upon his "stupid account"?
(b) "L'Instituteur Philosophe."
(c) "Le Cocu de Lui-même."
(d) "Les Crimes de L'Amour."
5. When does Nature find man "wrong"?
(a) When he sins against mankind.
(b) When he sins against Nature.
(c) When he multiplies.
(d) When he sins against God.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language was a mixture of Celtic and Latin?
2. Where was the only place that Sade believed he could assert himself?
3. Who, according to Sade, passed novels on to "our courtly storytellers"?
4. According to Sade, the Romans had the weaknesses of ________________.
5. Which author did Sade supposedly ignore because of his jealousy regarding the individual's success as a writer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Duc require of Curval if he is to allow Curval to marry his daughter Julie?
2. What did Klossowski state that Sade believed regarding "Nature in a state of perpetual motion"?
3. What are the details surrounding Herman?
4. Why does Duclos' story get interrupted on the First Day?
5. What does Florville require of Courval before she will agree to marry him?
6. What did Sade say about the effect that "insults directed by jealousy" had on a "man of letters"?
7. What do Sade's admirers admit about Sade's work?
8. What are the stage directions for Act Three?
9. When "the story opens," what are the circumstances surrounding Saunders?
10. Why does Herman want to wait to marry?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)