|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of life did Florville live, according to a former colleague of Courval's?
(a) An charmed life.
(b) A libertine life.
(c) A secluded life.
(d) A sad life.
2. At the end of his review, what did Villeterque say would happen to Rousseau, Voltaire, Marmontel, Fielding, and Richardson?
(a) They would "be exhaulted."
(b) They would be "read no more."
(c) They would "be found guilty of their crimes."
(d) They would "be revered."
3. Whom did Klossowski quote about "original sin"?
(c) Joseph de Maistre.
4. Who mistreated a poor family and then called for his own punishment by whipping?
5. According to Klossowski, "the substitution of Nature in a state of perpetual motion for God signifies, not the arrival of a happier era for humanity," but ____________________.
(a) The right to do as one wished.
(b) The reality of sin.
(c) The acceptance of the refusal to change.
(d) The beginning of tragedy.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Nature find man "wrong"?
2. Who, according to Sade, passed novels on to "our courtly storytellers"?
3. What language was a mixture of Celtic and Latin?
4. Who did Beauvoir state embodied Sade's failure?
5. What does Courval's wife devote herself to after leaving him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Villeterque state that he would only address one of the questions that Sade posed in "Reflections on the Novel"?
2. What did Sade state about Vileterque's response to "Les Crimes de l'Amour"?
3. What two things does the "arranger" believe Florville has that count against her?
4. What does Courval do to find a new wife?
5. What did Klossowski state that Sade believed regarding "Nature in a state of perpetual motion"?
6. What do Sade's admirers admit about Sade's work?
7. What was Sade's last wish to be respected?
8. What did Sade believe regarding motion?
9. Why did man write novels?
10. What did Sade say that Voltaire did when he wrote?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)