|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Freud, what is "the life instinct"?
2. According to Klossowski, "what we call crime must contain the key" to ___________.
(d) Societal aversions.
3. How old was Florville when she had a child that died?
4. What is Courval's income, as noted by Sade?
(a) 15,000 francs.
(b) 25,000 francs.
(c) 5,000 francs.
(d) 10,000 francs.
5. Where did Florville go to give birth?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of feeling did Villeterque state that he had while reading Sade's work?
2. What year did both Maurice Heine and Gilbert Lely give as the birth year of Sade "the writer"?
3. What does Courval's wife devote herself to after leaving him?
4. What did Klossowski state was the only way Sadean conscience recovers her liberty?
5. When does Nature find man "wrong"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two things does the "arranger" believe Florville has that count against her?
2. What did Klossowski quote from "The 120 Days of Sodom" regarding happiness?
3. What was the description of Sade from March 1793?
4. Why did Villeterque state that he would only address one of the questions that Sade posed in "Reflections on the Novel"?
5. Why did man write novels?
6. What did Sade say that Voltaire did when he wrote?
7. What did the writings of Crebillion speak about?
8. In what way did Klossowski believe that Sade looked at man as a competitor of Nature?
9. What was the progression of the novel throughout history?
10. What did Klossowski state that Sade believed regarding "Nature in a state of perpetual motion"?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)