|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the only thing that Sade believed would fulfill his existence?
2. At the opening of "Florville and Courval," how old is Courval?
3. How many years longer does Sade say that Courval will live?
4. What did Sade accuse Villeterque of quoting?
(a) Out of context isolated phrases.
(b) Out of context passages of dialogue.
(c) Out of context delusions.
(d) Out of context passages of lust.
5. In March of 1793, how old was Sade?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Sade publish "Les Crimes de l'Amour"?
2. According to Sade, the Romans had the weaknesses of ________________.
3. Villeterque accused Sade of portraying villains who were _________.
4. In what novel did Sade say virtue was best rewarded?
5. How many questions did Villeterque state he would "bother with"?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Beauvoir, what did Sade fear?
2. What did Sade state about Vileterque's response to "Les Crimes de l'Amour"?
3. Why did Sade state that he did not want to make vice attractive in his writings?
4. What did the writings of Crebillion speak about?
5. Why did man write novels?
6. What two things does the "arranger" believe Florville has that count against her?
7. According to Beauvoir, what was Sade like at the age of twenty-three?
8. What did Klossowski state that Sade believed regarding "Nature in a state of perpetual motion"?
9. What does Florville require of Courval before she will agree to marry him?
10. What was the description of Sade from March 1793?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)