|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many questions did Villeterque say that Sade had raised in "Reflections on the Novel"?
2. At the opening of "Florville and Courval," how old is Courval?
3. According to "Must We Burn Sade?" what happened to Sade's manuscripts?
(a) They were stolen.
(b) They were burned.
(c) They were lost.
(d) They were banned.
4. According to Klossowski, what philosopher opposed the sufferings of the innocent?
5. What kind of life did Florville live, according to a former colleague of Courval's?
(a) An charmed life.
(b) A sad life.
(c) A libertine life.
(d) A secluded life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What writer loathed Sade and referred to him as "monster author"?
2. According to Sade, the Romans had the weaknesses of ________________.
3. Given that Beauvoir stated that he found no "hint of ambition" in Sade, what did Beauvoir state that he believed about Sade?
4. Which of Sade's plays was a great success?
5. Where was the only place that Sade believed he could assert himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mademoiselle de Florville.
2. Why did Villeterque state that Sade held "erroneous opinions"?
3. What did the writings of Crebillion speak about?
4. What did Sade state about Vileterque's response to "Les Crimes de l'Amour"?
5. What does Courval do to find a new wife?
6. What did Klossowski state that Sade believed regarding "Nature in a state of perpetual motion"?
7. What did Sade say about the effect that "insults directed by jealousy" had on a "man of letters"?
8. Why did Villeterque state that he would only address one of the questions that Sade posed in "Reflections on the Novel"?
9. According to Sade, how did Villeterque use "out of context isolated phrases"?
10. What does the "arranger" believe will not please Courval about Florville's conduct?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)