|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who challenges Oxtiern to a duel?
(b) Ernestine's brother.
(d) Ernestine's father.
2. How many men seized Herman as he ran from Madame Scholtz's house after being accused of theft?
3. Oxtiern tells Derbac his one goal in life is ____________.
(a) To be happy.
(b) To be married.
(c) To be published as a poet.
(d) To be wealthy.
4. Where does Act One open in "Oxtiern"?
(a) A stable.
(b) A sitting room of an inn.
(c) A garden.
(d) The entrance to a castle.
5. What is the name of Duc's daughter whom he gives to Curval to marry?
6. What does Ernestine tell Herman to do on the night of Madame Scholtz's ball?
(a) Hide her.
(b) Challenge Oxtiern to a duel.
(c) Tell her father they were to marry the next day.
(d) Run away so as not to be killed.
7. Whom does Duc kiss on the mouth in the third room that the "society" visits on the "First Day"?
(a) The young maids.
(b) Their wives.
(c) All of the boys.
8. How many men are gathered to be "guests" at the first supper party of "the society"?
9. Who throws a plate at his wife during the mid-day meal?
10. In Part Two, on what evening is Duc flogged while copulating with Zelmire's maid?
11. In Tale 7, How old is the maid that lost her virginity to "his" valet?
12. What is the name of the man whom Ernestine loves?
13. How much money does Madame Scholtz accuse Herman of stealing?
(a) 50,000 ducats.
(b) 250,000 ducats.
(c) 10,000 ducats.
(d) 100,000 ducats.
14. According to Duc during the first day, ______________ are "they who absolutely cannot bear the instant when the illusion is shattered."
15. On what day is the "First Day"?
(a) December 1.
(b) May 1.
(c) November 1.
(d) January 1.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ernestine sees Herman for the first time after he is accused of theft, where is he?
2. At what time do the "Statutes" declare that the men should rise in the morning?
3. Who are the guests at the second dinner party?
4. According to Ernestine, what will she never be able to do again?
5. According to Champville, on the 16th of December, with whom is Duc always pictured?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)