|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Sade's plays was a great success?
(a) "Les Fetes de l'amitie."
(b) "Les Antiquaires."
(c) "Le Prevaricateur ou le Magistrat du temps passe."
2. Villeterque wonders about the painting of scenes where crime reigns __________.
(d) As Nature wanted.
3. Who is the first slave to Nature's laws?
4. How many things did Sade challenge Villeterque to do?
5. "Punishments are always ___________________ to the crime."
6. What language was a mixture of Celtic and Latin?
(a) Gothic language.
(b) Germanic language.
(c) Romance language.
(d) Portuguese language.
7. What was Voltaire's purpose in writing?
(a) To put forth new knowledge.
(b) To admonish culture.
(c) To insert philosophy in his novels.
(d) To create law.
8. Who taught Florville to live a virtuous life?
9. What did Klossowski state was the only way Sadean conscience recovers her liberty?
(a) By forgetting who she is completely.
(b) By destroying her own works.
(c) By insuring that her works become immortal.
(d) By forging forward at all costs.
10. What did Sade "push to a point" where "it will be invested with the form of a truly transcendental fatalism"?
(b) Materialistic atheism.
(c) Crime and ounishment.
11. Who mistreated a poor family and then called for his own punishment by whipping?
12. In what cell was Sade kept while at Vincennes prison?
13. Who did Beauvoir state embodied Sade's failure?
(a) His son.
(b) His mother-in-law.
(c) His own mother.
(d) His wife.
14. What did Sade state that "I have never written"?
(a) Immoral books.
(b) Sinful memories.
(c) Aberrations of Nature.
(d) Sins against God.
15. What was the only thing that Sade believed would fulfill his existence?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Sade, man is prey to what two weaknesses?
2. When does Nature find man "wrong"?
3. How many questions did Villeterque say that Sade had raised in "Reflections on the Novel"?
4. What did Sade believe existed outside of the three kingdoms of species and creatures?
5. How old was Florville when she had a child that died?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)