|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who, according to Sade, passed novels on to "our courtly storytellers"?
2. In what year did Sade publish "Les Crimes de l'Amour"?
3. What language was a mixture of Celtic and Latin?
(a) Romance language.
(b) Portuguese language.
(c) Germanic language.
(d) Gothic language.
4. How many children does Courval have?
5. In what cell was Sade kept while at Vincennes prison?
6. In Klossowski's quoting of "120 Days of Sodom," what will never exist "wherever men are equal and when differences do not exist"?
7. At the opening of "Florville and Courval," how old is Courval?
8. At the end of his review, what did Villeterque say would happen to Rousseau, Voltaire, Marmontel, Fielding, and Richardson?
(a) They would be "read no more."
(b) They would "be revered."
(c) They would "be exhaulted."
(d) They would "be found guilty of their crimes."
9. Who did Beauvoir state embodied Sade's failure?
(a) His mother-in-law.
(b) His own mother.
(c) His son.
(d) His wife.
10. What did Sade call Villeterque at the opening of his reply to him?
(d) Hack writer.
11. In what year was Sade imprisoned for debt?
12. What did Klossowski state was a "moral being and not a created being"?
13. "Punishments are always ___________________ to the crime."
14. What does Florville want to tell Courval before they marry?
(a) The adventures of her life.
(b) The story behind her affair.
(c) The story about her finding God.
(d) The story of her parents.
15. Madame de Verquin tries to set Florville up with __________.
(a) A slave boy.
(d) An officer in the Navy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first slave to Nature's laws?
2. During the storming of the Bastille, how many volumes of Sade's library were looted?
3. Who mistreated a poor family and then called for his own punishment by whipping?
4. How old was Florville when she had a child that died?
5. What chemist did Klossowski quote regarding his fears about Nature?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)