|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Beauvoir, what did Sade long for?
(a) A strong soul.
(b) The ability to be regarded as a famous writer.
(c) A real life.
(d) The ability to do what he wished without punishment.
2. During the storming of the Bastille, how many volumes of Sade's library were looted?
3. How old was Florville when she had a child that died?
4. What was the only thing that Sade believed would fulfill his existence?
5. When does Nature find man "wrong"?
(a) When he sins against God.
(b) When he multiplies.
(c) When he sins against Nature.
(d) When he sins against mankind.
6. Who had written successful novels, although he "indulged vice and strayed from virtue"?
7. What "matter" does Courval state "concerns me not the least"?
(a) Her sin.
(b) Her religion.
(c) Her modesty.
(d) Her birth.
8. What did Sade call Villeterque at the opening of his reply to him?
(a) Hack writer.
9. How old is Florville during the action of the story?
10. What was the first thing that Sade did when society "quickly seized upon Sade's secret and classified it as a crime"?
(c) All of the given answers.
11. What language was a mixture of Celtic and Latin?
(a) Gothic language.
(b) Romance language.
(c) Germanic language.
(d) Portuguese language.
12. How many children does Courval have?
13. What kind of opinions does an author hold when they contradict their own views?
14. What does Courval's wife devote herself to after leaving him?
15. What did Sade "push to a point" where "it will be invested with the form of a truly transcendental fatalism"?
(a) Crime and ounishment.
(d) Materialistic atheism.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what novel did Sade say virtue was best rewarded?
2. At what "level" did Freud look at life?
3. In what year was Sade imprisoned for debt?
4. How many years longer does Sade say that Courval will live?
5. Villeterque accused Rousseau, Voltaire, Marmontel, Fielding, and Richardson of saying that the way to happiness was _______________.
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)