|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first slave to Nature's laws?
2. What does Courval's wife devote herself to after leaving him?
3. How many children does Courval have?
4. The purpose of Nature is ___________.
(a) Being a creative evolutionist.
(b) Being an accuser.
(c) Being a destroyer.
(d) Being a forgiver.
5. Which of Sade's plays was a great success?
(a) "Les Antiquaires."
(b) "Le Prevaricateur ou le Magistrat du temps passe."
(d) "Les Fetes de l'amitie."
6. Who ordered a mistress of a brothel to stop giving women to Sade?
(a) Sade's mother.
(b) Sade's wife.
(c) Sade's mother-in-law.
(d) An inspector.
7. How old was Florville when Saint-Agne proposed to her?
8. What did Sade believe Villeterque's insults were "dictated by"?
9. Whom did Klossowski quote about "original sin"?
(c) Joseph de Maistre.
10. According to Freud, what is "the life instinct"?
11. To what Roman goddess does Courval compare Florville?
12. In what year was Sade imprisoned for debt?
13. Why did Beauvoir state that Sade "mistrusted everything and everybody"?
(a) Sade's bad relationship with his mother.
(b) Sade was a criminal.
(c) Sade was bipolar.
(d) Sade was maladjusted.
14. What was the first thing that Sade did when society "quickly seized upon Sade's secret and classified it as a crime"?
(a) All of the given answers.
15. Whom did Klossowski name as the "original guilty party"?
Short Answer Questions
1. During the storming of the Bastille, how many volumes of Sade's library were looted?
2. What kind of opinions does an author hold when they contradict their own views?
3. How old was Florville when she had a child that died?
4. In what year did Sade publish "Les Crimes de l'Amour"?
5. In Klossowski's quoting of "120 Days of Sodom," what will never exist "wherever men are equal and when differences do not exist"?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)