|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Florville go to give birth?
2. What language was a mixture of Celtic and Latin?
(a) Gothic language.
(b) Romance language.
(c) Portuguese language.
(d) Germanic language.
3. What was the only thing that Sade believed would fulfill his existence?
4. According to Beauvoir, what did Sade long for?
(a) The ability to do what he wished without punishment.
(b) A real life.
(c) The ability to be regarded as a famous writer.
(d) A strong soul.
5. Who mistreated a poor family and then called for his own punishment by whipping?
6. In what year was Sade imprisoned for debt?
7. What did Sade believe Villeterque's insults were "dictated by"?
8. Where was the only place that Sade believed he could assert himself?
(a) His home.
(b) In prison.
(c) His bed.
(d) A brothel.
9. What did Sade "push to a point" where "it will be invested with the form of a truly transcendental fatalism"?
(c) Crime and ounishment.
(d) Materialistic atheism.
10. To what Roman goddess does Courval compare Florville?
11. What character did Beauvoir claim had been created as a projection of Sade himself?
12. In March of 1793, how old was Sade?
13. Whom did Klossowski name as the "original guilty party"?
14. How many children does Courval have?
15. Which author did Sade supposedly ignore because of his jealousy regarding the individual's success as a writer?
(b) Thackeray .
Short Answer Questions
1. What "matter" does Courval state "concerns me not the least"?
2. Who ordered a mistress of a brothel to stop giving women to Sade?
3. During the storming of the Bastille, how many volumes of Sade's library were looted?
4. Who had written successful novels, although he "indulged vice and strayed from virtue"?
5. What year did both Maurice Heine and Gilbert Lely give as the birth year of Sade "the writer"?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)