|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many questions did Villeterque say that Sade had raised in "Reflections on the Novel"?
2. The purpose of Nature is ___________.
(a) Being a forgiver.
(b) Being an accuser.
(c) Being a destroyer.
(d) Being a creative evolutionist.
3. How many children does Courval have?
4. Villeterque accused Sade of portraying villains who were _________.
5. During the storming of the Bastille, how many volumes of Sade's library were looted?
6. What did Sade accuse Villeterque of quoting?
(a) Out of context isolated phrases.
(b) Out of context passages of lust.
(c) Out of context passages of dialogue.
(d) Out of context delusions.
7. At the opening of "Florville and Courval," how old is Courval?
8. What did Sade call Villeterque at the opening of his reply to him?
(d) Hack writer.
9. What year did both Maurice Heine and Gilbert Lely give as the birth year of Sade "the writer"?
10. According to Beauvoir, what did Sade long for?
(a) A real life.
(b) The ability to be regarded as a famous writer.
(c) The ability to do what he wished without punishment.
(d) A strong soul.
11. According to "Must We Burn Sade?" what happened to Sade's manuscripts?
(a) They were stolen.
(b) They were lost.
(c) They were banned.
(d) They were burned.
12. What "matter" does Courval state "concerns me not the least"?
(a) Her birth.
(b) Her sin.
(c) Her religion.
(d) Her modesty.
13. What did Klossowski state was a "moral being and not a created being"?
14. What did Sade state that "I have never written"?
(a) Aberrations of Nature.
(b) Sins against God.
(c) Immoral books.
(d) Sinful memories.
15. According to Klossowski, what philosopher opposed the sufferings of the innocent?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Beauvoir state that Sade "mistrusted everything and everybody"?
2. According to Klossowski, "the substitution of Nature in a state of perpetual motion for God signifies, not the arrival of a happier era for humanity," but ____________________.
3. What character did Beauvoir claim had been created as a projection of Sade himself?
4. What did Sade call Villeterque during his response to him?
5. In what month was Sade married?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)