|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Beauvoir state embodied Sade's failure?
(a) His son.
(b) His own mother.
(c) His mother-in-law.
(d) His wife.
2. Madame de Verquin tries to set Florville up with __________.
(a) An officer in the Navy.
(b) A slave boy.
3. According to Klossowski, "the substitution of Nature in a state of perpetual motion for God signifies, not the arrival of a happier era for humanity," but ____________________.
(a) The beginning of tragedy.
(b) The right to do as one wished.
(c) The acceptance of the refusal to change.
(d) The reality of sin.
4. What did Sade believe existed outside of the three kingdoms of species and creatures?
(b) An original and eternal Nature.
5. Villeterque accused Rousseau, Voltaire, Marmontel, Fielding, and Richardson of saying that the way to happiness was _______________.
(a) Loneliness with another.
(b) Virtue alone.
(d) Sin alone.
6. What did Sade call Villeterque at the opening of his reply to him?
(d) Hack writer.
7. According to "Must We Burn Sade?" what happened to Sade's manuscripts?
(a) They were lost.
(b) They were burned.
(c) They were stolen.
(d) They were banned.
8. What "matter" does Courval state "concerns me not the least"?
(a) Her birth.
(b) Her religion.
(c) Her sin.
(d) Her modesty.
9. Who, according to Sade, passed novels on to "our courtly storytellers"?
10. According to Sade, man is prey to what two weaknesses?
(a) Desire and need.
(b) Prayer and desire.
(c) Prayer and love.
(d) Lust and love.
11. In what year did Sade publish "Les Crimes de l'Amour"?
12. How old was Florville when Saint-Agne proposed to her?
13. To what Roman goddess does Courval compare Florville?
14. Who taught Florville to live a virtuous life?
15. What did Sade call Villeterque during his response to him?
Short Answer Questions
1. At what "level" did Freud look at life?
2. What did Sade state that "I have never written"?
3. In what novel did Sade say virtue was best rewarded?
4. What kind of feeling did Villeterque state that he had while reading Sade's work?
5. What do biographers fail to present in regard to Sade?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)