|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of his review, what did Villeterque say would happen to Rousseau, Voltaire, Marmontel, Fielding, and Richardson?
(a) They would "be revered."
(b) They would be "read no more."
(c) They would "be exhaulted."
(d) They would "be found guilty of their crimes."
2. What was the first thing that Sade did when society "quickly seized upon Sade's secret and classified it as a crime"?
(b) All of the given answers.
3. What writer loathed Sade and referred to him as "monster author"?
4. According to "Must We Burn Sade?" what happened to Sade's manuscripts?
(a) They were lost.
(b) They were stolen.
(c) They were banned.
(d) They were burned.
5. Who taught Florville to live a virtuous life?
6. What did Sade call Villeterque at the opening of his reply to him?
(b) Hack writer.
7. How many years longer does Sade say that Courval will live?
8. According to Beauvoir, what did Sade come to know at an early age?
(a) Foulness and violence.
(b) Hatred and sadism.
(c) Hatred and violence.
(d) Resentment and violence.
9. In what year was Sade imprisoned for debt?
10. In what month was Sade married?
11. What kind of feeling did Villeterque state that he had while reading Sade's work?
(a) Feeling of pride.
(b) Feeling of indignation.
(c) Feeling of calmness.
(d) Feeling of synthesis.
12. Where was the only place that Sade believed he could assert himself?
(a) A brothel.
(b) His home.
(c) In prison.
(d) His bed.
13. Villeterque accused Sade of portraying villains who were _________.
14. Why did Beauvoir state that Sade "mistrusted everything and everybody"?
(a) Sade was a criminal.
(b) Sade's bad relationship with his mother.
(c) Sade was maladjusted.
(d) Sade was bipolar.
15. According to Klossowski, "what we call crime must contain the key" to ___________.
(d) Societal aversions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of life did Florville live, according to a former colleague of Courval's?
2. Who wrote "Journees amusantes"?
3. How many questions did Villeterque say that Sade had raised in "Reflections on the Novel"?
4. How much did Florville receive from her adoptive mother upon her death?
5. What kind of opinions does an author hold when they contradict their own views?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)