|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to "Must We Burn Sade?" what happened to Sade's manuscripts?
(a) They were lost.
(b) They were stolen.
(c) They were banned.
(d) They were burned.
2. Who were the first novelists in Europe where "we dwell today"?
(a) The Gauls.
(b) The Italians.
(c) The Romans.
(d) The Greeks.
3. What did Sade state that "I have never written"?
(a) Sinful memories.
(b) Immoral books.
(c) Aberrations of Nature.
(d) Sins against God.
4. The purpose of Nature is ___________.
(a) Being a forgiver.
(b) Being a creative evolutionist.
(c) Being a destroyer.
(d) Being an accuser.
5. What did Klossowski state was the only way Sadean conscience recovers her liberty?
(a) By destroying her own works.
(b) By forging forward at all costs.
(c) By forgetting who she is completely.
(d) By insuring that her works become immortal.
6. Who did Beauvoir state embodied Sade's failure?
(a) His mother-in-law.
(b) His son.
(c) His own mother.
(d) His wife.
7. Who engineered Sade's escape form Miolans?
(a) His mistress.
(b) His mother.
(c) His wife.
(d) His best friend.
8. What "matter" does Courval state "concerns me not the least"?
(a) Her sin.
(b) Her modesty.
(c) Her religion.
(d) Her birth.
9. Who wrote "Journees amusantes"?
(c) De Sevigne.
10. Which of Sade's plays was a great success?
(a) "Les Fetes de l'amitie."
(b) "Le Prevaricateur ou le Magistrat du temps passe."
(d) "Les Antiquaires."
11. What did Sade "push to a point" where "it will be invested with the form of a truly transcendental fatalism"?
(a) Crime and ounishment.
(b) Materialistic atheism.
12. According to Sade, the Romans had the weaknesses of ________________.
(a) Lust and love.
(b) Hate and power.
(c) Prayer and love.
(d) Spite and malice.
13. At what "level" did Freud look at life?
14. In what novel did Sade say virtue was best rewarded?
(a) "Le Criminel Par Vertu."
(b) "Le Président Mystifié."
(c) "Juliette et Raunai."
(d) "Les Dangers de la Bienfaisance."
15. In what year did Sade publish "Les Crimes de l'Amour"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Courval spend most of his time?
2. With what people did the novel originate?
3. What was Voltaire's purpose in writing?
4. Who, according to Sade, passed novels on to "our courtly storytellers"?
5. How old is Florville during the action of the story?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)