|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom did Klossowski name as the "original guilty party"?
2. What did Sade "push to a point" where "it will be invested with the form of a truly transcendental fatalism"?
(c) Materialistic atheism.
(d) Crime and ounishment.
3. How many questions did Villeterque state he would "bother with"?
4. When does Nature find man "wrong"?
(a) When he sins against mankind.
(b) When he sins against God.
(c) When he multiplies.
(d) When he sins against Nature.
5. The purpose of Nature is ___________.
(a) Being a forgiver.
(b) Being an accuser.
(c) Being a creative evolutionist.
(d) Being a destroyer.
6. According to Klossowski, "the substitution of Nature in a state of perpetual motion for God signifies, not the arrival of a happier era for humanity," but ____________________.
(a) The right to do as one wished.
(b) The acceptance of the refusal to change.
(c) The reality of sin.
(d) The beginning of tragedy.
7. At what "level" did Freud look at life?
8. Given that Beauvoir stated that he found no "hint of ambition" in Sade, what did Beauvoir state that he believed about Sade?
(a) He would be burned for his sins.
(b) He was bound for greatness.
(c) He was a coward.
(d) He was satisfied living a mundane life.
9. What year did both Maurice Heine and Gilbert Lely give as the birth year of Sade "the writer"?
10. According to "Must We Burn Sade?" what happened to Sade's manuscripts?
(a) They were lost.
(b) They were stolen.
(c) They were banned.
(d) They were burned.
11. Who had written successful novels, although he "indulged vice and strayed from virtue"?
12. Why did Beauvoir state that Sade "mistrusted everything and everybody"?
(a) Sade was maladjusted.
(b) Sade was a criminal.
(c) Sade was bipolar.
(d) Sade's bad relationship with his mother.
13. In March of 1793, how old was Sade?
14. Who wrote "Journees amusantes"?
(d) De Sevigne.
15. Which author did Sade supposedly ignore because of his jealousy regarding the individual's success as a writer?
(d) Thackeray .
Short Answer Questions
1. Madame de Verquin tries to set Florville up with __________.
2. What was the first thing that Sade did when society "quickly seized upon Sade's secret and classified it as a crime"?
3. What language was a mixture of Celtic and Latin?
4. In Klossowski's quoting of "120 Days of Sodom," what will never exist "wherever men are equal and when differences do not exist"?
5. Which of Sade's plays was a great success?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)