|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Courval's wife devote herself to after leaving him?
2. Villeterque wonders about the painting of scenes where crime reigns __________.
(c) As Nature wanted.
3. How many things did Sade challenge Villeterque to do?
4. In March of 1793, how old was Sade?
5. The purpose of Nature is ___________.
(a) Being a creative evolutionist.
(b) Being a forgiver.
(c) Being an accuser.
(d) Being a destroyer.
6. According to Sade, man is prey to what two weaknesses?
(a) Desire and need.
(b) Lust and love.
(c) Prayer and desire.
(d) Prayer and love.
7. "Punishments are always ___________________ to the crime."
8. In Klossowski's quoting of "120 Days of Sodom," what will never exist "wherever men are equal and when differences do not exist"?
9. On what holiday did Sade terrorize Rose Keller?
(a) New Year's.
(d) All Hallow's Eve.
10. Who had written successful novels, although he "indulged vice and strayed from virtue"?
11. At the end of his review, what did Villeterque say would happen to Rousseau, Voltaire, Marmontel, Fielding, and Richardson?
(a) They would "be revered."
(b) They would "be exhaulted."
(c) They would "be found guilty of their crimes."
(d) They would be "read no more."
12. Who wrote "Journees amusantes"?
(a) De Sevigne.
13. Where did Florville go to give birth?
14. Which of Sade's plays was a great success?
(a) "Les Antiquaires."
(c) "Les Fetes de l'amitie."
(d) "Le Prevaricateur ou le Magistrat du temps passe."
15. To what Roman goddess does Courval compare Florville?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Florville when Saint-Agne proposed to her?
2. What did Sade accuse Villeterque of quoting?
3. What writer loathed Sade and referred to him as "monster author"?
4. What "matter" does Courval state "concerns me not the least"?
5. What was the first thing that Sade did when society "quickly seized upon Sade's secret and classified it as a crime"?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)