|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Sade's plays was a great success?
(b) "Les Fetes de l'amitie."
(c) "Le Prevaricateur ou le Magistrat du temps passe."
(d) "Les Antiquaires."
2. When does Nature find man "wrong"?
(a) When he sins against mankind.
(b) When he sins against Nature.
(c) When he sins against God.
(d) When he multiplies.
3. Whom did Klossowski quote about "original sin"?
(b) Joseph de Maistre.
4. Villeterque accused Rousseau, Voltaire, Marmontel, Fielding, and Richardson of saying that the way to happiness was _______________.
(a) Loneliness with another.
(b) Virtue alone.
(c) Sin alone.
5. What do biographers fail to present in regard to Sade?
(a) A record of his crimes.
(b) An authentic portrait of him.
(c) A history of his life in Bastille.
(d) An objective view on his work.
6. What kind of feeling did Villeterque state that he had while reading Sade's work?
(a) Feeling of calmness.
(b) Feeling of indignation.
(c) Feeling of synthesis.
(d) Feeling of pride.
7. Who mistreated a poor family and then called for his own punishment by whipping?
8. Who did Beauvoir state embodied Sade's failure?
(a) His son.
(b) His own mother.
(c) His mother-in-law.
(d) His wife.
9. Who, according to Sade, passed novels on to "our courtly storytellers"?
10. In what novel did Sade say virtue was best rewarded?
(a) "Les Dangers de la Bienfaisance."
(b) "Juliette et Raunai."
(c) "Le Criminel Par Vertu."
(d) "Le Président Mystifié."
11. What did Sade state that "I have never written"?
(a) Sinful memories.
(b) Sins against God.
(c) Aberrations of Nature.
(d) Immoral books.
12. How many questions did Villeterque state he would "bother with"?
13. What writer loathed Sade and referred to him as "monster author"?
14. How many things did Sade challenge Villeterque to do?
15. Who wrote "Journees amusantes"?
(d) De Sevigne.
Short Answer Questions
1. The purpose of Nature is ___________.
2. What did Klossowski state was a "moral being and not a created being"?
3. According to Sade, man is prey to what two weaknesses?
4. What was the first thing that Sade did when society "quickly seized upon Sade's secret and classified it as a crime"?
5. In what month was Sade married?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)