|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year was Sade imprisoned for debt?
2. What writer loathed Sade and referred to him as "monster author"?
3. What year did both Maurice Heine and Gilbert Lely give as the birth year of Sade "the writer"?
4. In Klossowski's quoting of "120 Days of Sodom," what will never exist "wherever men are equal and when differences do not exist"?
5. Villeterque wonders about the painting of scenes where crime reigns __________.
(a) As Nature wanted.
6. Who, according to Sade, passed novels on to "our courtly storytellers"?
7. On what holiday did Sade terrorize Rose Keller?
(b) New Year's.
(c) All Hallow's Eve.
8. Who is the first slave to Nature's laws?
9. What does Courval's wife devote herself to after leaving him?
10. In March of 1793, how old was Sade?
11. What do biographers fail to present in regard to Sade?
(a) A history of his life in Bastille.
(b) A record of his crimes.
(c) An objective view on his work.
(d) An authentic portrait of him.
12. What does Florville want to tell Courval before they marry?
(a) The story of her parents.
(b) The story about her finding God.
(c) The story behind her affair.
(d) The adventures of her life.
13. How old is Florville during the action of the story?
14. What is Courval's income, as noted by Sade?
(a) 10,000 francs.
(b) 25,000 francs.
(c) 5,000 francs.
(d) 15,000 francs.
15. What did Sade believe Villeterque's insults were "dictated by"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Sade believe existed outside of the three kingdoms of species and creatures?
2. In what year did Sade publish "Les Crimes de l'Amour"?
3. According to Klossowski, "the substitution of Nature in a state of perpetual motion for God signifies, not the arrival of a happier era for humanity," but ____________________.
4. What was Voltaire's purpose in writing?
5. At the end of his review, what did Villeterque say would happen to Rousseau, Voltaire, Marmontel, Fielding, and Richardson?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)