|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of opinions does an author hold when they contradict their own views?
2. What did Sade accuse Villeterque of quoting?
(a) Out of context isolated phrases.
(b) Out of context passages of dialogue.
(c) Out of context passages of lust.
(d) Out of context delusions.
3. According to Sade, the truly honest man refuses to deal in ____________.
4. At what "level" did Freud look at life?
5. Villeterque accused Sade of portraying villains who were _________.
6. What did Sade believe existed outside of the three kingdoms of species and creatures?
(b) An original and eternal Nature.
7. In what year was the Bastille stormed?
8. What was the first thing that Sade did when society "quickly seized upon Sade's secret and classified it as a crime"?
(b) All of the given answers.
9. What did Klossowski state was a "moral being and not a created being"?
10. "Punishments are always ___________________ to the crime."
11. What do biographers fail to present in regard to Sade?
(a) An objective view on his work.
(b) A record of his crimes.
(c) An authentic portrait of him.
(d) A history of his life in Bastille.
12. When does Nature find man "wrong"?
(a) When he sins against mankind.
(b) When he sins against Nature.
(c) When he sins against God.
(d) When he multiplies.
13. Where was the only place that Sade believed he could assert himself?
(a) His bed.
(b) A brothel.
(c) His home.
(d) In prison.
14. Courval is told that Florville is related to ______________.
(a) St. Pierre.
(b) Marcus Flind.
15. Who engineered Sade's escape form Miolans?
(a) His wife.
(b) His mother.
(c) His best friend.
(d) His mistress.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Florville during the action of the story?
2. What did Klossowski state was the only way Sadean conscience recovers her liberty?
3. How many questions did Villeterque say that Sade had raised in "Reflections on the Novel"?
4. During the storming of the Bastille, how many volumes of Sade's library were looted?
5. Given that Beauvoir stated that he found no "hint of ambition" in Sade, what did Beauvoir state that he believed about Sade?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)