|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Villeterque wonders about the painting of scenes where crime reigns __________.
(b) As Nature wanted.
2. How many questions did Villeterque say that Sade had raised in "Reflections on the Novel"?
3. Where did Florville go to give birth?
4. Whom did Klossowski name as the "original guilty party"?
5. How old was Florville when she had a child that died?
6. Villeterque accused Rousseau, Voltaire, Marmontel, Fielding, and Richardson of "painting" ____________.
7. Why did Beauvoir state that Sade "mistrusted everything and everybody"?
(a) Sade was maladjusted.
(b) Sade was bipolar.
(c) Sade was a criminal.
(d) Sade's bad relationship with his mother.
8. Who were the first novelists in Europe where "we dwell today"?
(a) The Greeks.
(b) The Gauls.
(c) The Italians.
(d) The Romans.
9. According to Klossowski, what philosopher opposed the sufferings of the innocent?
10. When does Nature find man "wrong"?
(a) When he multiplies.
(b) When he sins against Nature.
(c) When he sins against God.
(d) When he sins against mankind.
11. Who mistreated a poor family and then called for his own punishment by whipping?
12. How many years longer does Sade say that Courval will live?
13. Who wrote "Journees amusantes"?
(c) De Sevigne.
14. To what Roman goddess does Courval compare Florville?
15. According to Klossowski, "the substitution of Nature in a state of perpetual motion for God signifies, not the arrival of a happier era for humanity," but ____________________.
(a) The beginning of tragedy.
(b) The reality of sin.
(c) The right to do as one wished.
(d) The acceptance of the refusal to change.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who taught Florville to live a virtuous life?
2. How many questions did Villeterque state he would "bother with"?
3. Who, according to Sade, passed novels on to "our courtly storytellers"?
4. In Klossowski's quoting of "120 Days of Sodom," what will never exist "wherever men are equal and when differences do not exist"?
5. Villeterque accused Rousseau, Voltaire, Marmontel, Fielding, and Richardson of saying that the way to happiness was _______________.
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)