|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Klossowski state was the only way Sadean conscience recovers her liberty?
(a) By destroying her own works.
(b) By insuring that her works become immortal.
(c) By forgetting who she is completely.
(d) By forging forward at all costs.
2. During the storming of the Bastille, how many volumes of Sade's library were looted?
3. What does Florville want to tell Courval before they marry?
(a) The story about her finding God.
(b) The adventures of her life.
(c) The story behind her affair.
(d) The story of her parents.
4. How much did Florville receive from her adoptive mother upon her death?
(b) 4,000 francs a year.
(c) 2,000 francs a year.
(d) 500 francs a year.
5. What writer loathed Sade and referred to him as "monster author"?
6. What name is given to "any work of imagination fashioned from the most uncommon adventures which men experience in the course of their lives"?
7. Villeterque accused Sade of portraying villains who were _________.
8. When does Nature find man "wrong"?
(a) When he sins against mankind.
(b) When he sins against Nature.
(c) When he multiplies.
(d) When he sins against God.
9. In March of 1793, how old was Sade?
10. What did Sade believe existed outside of the three kingdoms of species and creatures?
(d) An original and eternal Nature.
11. Madame de Verquin tries to set Florville up with __________.
(b) An officer in the Navy.
(d) A slave boy.
12. According to Sade, the Romans had the weaknesses of ________________.
(a) Prayer and love.
(b) Spite and malice.
(c) Lust and love.
(d) Hate and power.
13. Who, according to Sade, passed novels on to "our courtly storytellers"?
14. According to Sade, the truly honest man refuses to deal in ____________.
15. Villeterque wonders about the painting of scenes where crime reigns __________.
(b) As Nature wanted.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "Journees amusantes"?
2. How many children does Courval have?
3. According to Beauvoir, what did Sade long for?
4. According to Sade, who needed to be classified as poets and not novelists?
5. Given that Beauvoir stated that he found no "hint of ambition" in Sade, what did Beauvoir state that he believed about Sade?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)