|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Sade accuse Villeterque of quoting?
(a) Out of context passages of lust.
(b) Out of context isolated phrases.
(c) Out of context delusions.
(d) Out of context passages of dialogue.
2. What did Klossowski state was the only way Sadean conscience recovers her liberty?
(a) By forging forward at all costs.
(b) By destroying her own works.
(c) By insuring that her works become immortal.
(d) By forgetting who she is completely.
3. Which of Sade's plays was a great success?
(b) "Le Prevaricateur ou le Magistrat du temps passe."
(c) "Les Fetes de l'amitie."
(d) "Les Antiquaires."
4. According to Freud, what is "the life instinct"?
5. Villeterque accused Rousseau, Voltaire, Marmontel, Fielding, and Richardson of "painting" ____________.
6. Who did Beauvoir state embodied Sade's failure?
(a) His wife.
(b) His own mother.
(c) His mother-in-law.
(d) His son.
7. What chemist did Klossowski quote regarding his fears about Nature?
8. According to Klossowski, "what we call crime must contain the key" to ___________.
(a) Societal aversions.
9. Who ordered a mistress of a brothel to stop giving women to Sade?
(a) Sade's wife.
(b) An inspector.
(c) Sade's mother-in-law.
(d) Sade's mother.
10. How old was Florville when she had a child that died?
11. Who taught Florville to live a virtuous life?
12. In what cell was Sade kept while at Vincennes prison?
13. What kind of opinions does an author hold when they contradict their own views?
14. Villeterque accused Rousseau, Voltaire, Marmontel, Fielding, and Richardson of saying that the way to happiness was _______________.
(a) Sin alone.
(b) Virtue alone.
(d) Loneliness with another.
15. Where was the only place that Sade believed he could assert himself?
(a) A brothel.
(b) In prison.
(c) His bed.
(d) His home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What writer loathed Sade and referred to him as "monster author"?
2. Who engineered Sade's escape form Miolans?
3. To what Roman goddess does Courval compare Florville?
4. What was the first thing that Sade did when society "quickly seized upon Sade's secret and classified it as a crime"?
5. Villeterque accused Sade of portraying villains who were _________.
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)