|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Courval's income, as noted by Sade?
(a) 25,000 francs.
(b) 10,000 francs.
(c) 5,000 francs.
(d) 15,000 francs.
2. How old is Florville during the action of the story?
3. In what month was Sade married?
4. Villeterque accused Rousseau, Voltaire, Marmontel, Fielding, and Richardson of saying that the way to happiness was _______________.
(a) Sin alone.
(c) Loneliness with another.
(d) Virtue alone.
5. At what "level" did Freud look at life?
6. Villeterque accused Sade of portraying villains who were _________.
7. Given that Beauvoir stated that he found no "hint of ambition" in Sade, what did Beauvoir state that he believed about Sade?
(a) He would be burned for his sins.
(b) He was satisfied living a mundane life.
(c) He was bound for greatness.
(d) He was a coward.
8. What did Sade believe Villeterque's insults were "dictated by"?
9. Who mistreated a poor family and then called for his own punishment by whipping?
10. What chemist did Klossowski quote regarding his fears about Nature?
11. According to Beauvoir, what did Sade come to know at an early age?
(a) Foulness and violence.
(b) Hatred and violence.
(c) Resentment and violence.
(d) Hatred and sadism.
12. "Punishments are always ___________________ to the crime."
13. According to Sade, man is prey to what two weaknesses?
(a) Lust and love.
(b) Prayer and love.
(c) Prayer and desire.
(d) Desire and need.
14. According to Klossowski, what philosopher opposed the sufferings of the innocent?
15. What was Voltaire's purpose in writing?
(a) To insert philosophy in his novels.
(b) To admonish culture.
(c) To create law.
(d) To put forth new knowledge.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first slave to Nature's laws?
2. Whom did Klossowski quote about "original sin"?
3. In what novel did Sade say virtue was best rewarded?
4. What was the first thing that Sade did when society "quickly seized upon Sade's secret and classified it as a crime"?
5. What did Klossowski state was the only way Sadean conscience recovers her liberty?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)