|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of life did Florville live, according to a former colleague of Courval's?
(a) A secluded life.
(b) An charmed life.
(c) A libertine life.
(d) A sad life.
2. To what Roman goddess does Courval compare Florville?
3. Villeterque accused Rousseau, Voltaire, Marmontel, Fielding, and Richardson of saying that the way to happiness was _______________.
(b) Loneliness with another.
(c) Sin alone.
(d) Virtue alone.
4. According to "Must We Burn Sade?" what happened to Sade's manuscripts?
(a) They were lost.
(b) They were stolen.
(c) They were burned.
(d) They were banned.
5. How many children does Courval have?
6. According to Klossowski, "the substitution of Nature in a state of perpetual motion for God signifies, not the arrival of a happier era for humanity," but ____________________.
(a) The right to do as one wished.
(b) The beginning of tragedy.
(c) The acceptance of the refusal to change.
(d) The reality of sin.
7. What language was a mixture of Celtic and Latin?
(a) Portuguese language.
(b) Gothic language.
(c) Romance language.
(d) Germanic language.
8. According to Sade, the truly honest man refuses to deal in ____________.
9. What did Klossowski state was a "moral being and not a created being"?
10. What writer loathed Sade and referred to him as "monster author"?
11. According to Klossowski, "what we call crime must contain the key" to ___________.
(d) Societal aversions.
12. Who ordered a mistress of a brothel to stop giving women to Sade?
(a) Sade's mother-in-law.
(b) An inspector.
(c) Sade's mother.
(d) Sade's wife.
13. Courval is told that Florville is related to ______________.
(a) St. Pierre.
(c) Marcus Flind.
14. How much did Florville receive from her adoptive mother upon her death?
(a) 4,000 francs a year.
(b) 2,000 francs a year.
(c) 500 francs a year.
15. According to Sade, who needed to be classified as poets and not novelists?
(a) The troubadours.
(b) The prose writers.
(c) The miracle pageant writers.
(d) The satirists.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of his review, what did Villeterque say would happen to Rousseau, Voltaire, Marmontel, Fielding, and Richardson?
2. How old was Florville when she had a child that died?
3. In what month was Sade married?
4. What does Florville want to tell Courval before they marry?
5. In what year did Sade publish "Les Crimes de l'Amour"?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)