|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Sade accuse Villeterque of quoting?
(a) Out of context isolated phrases.
(b) Out of context delusions.
(c) Out of context passages of dialogue.
(d) Out of context passages of lust.
2. What did Sade call Villeterque at the opening of his reply to him?
(a) Hack writer.
3. Which of Sade's plays was a great success?
(a) "Les Fetes de l'amitie."
(b) "Le Prevaricateur ou le Magistrat du temps passe."
(c) "Les Antiquaires."
4. In what month was Sade married?
5. What character did Beauvoir claim had been created as a projection of Sade himself?
6. Villeterque accused Rousseau, Voltaire, Marmontel, Fielding, and Richardson of saying that the way to happiness was _______________.
(a) Sin alone.
(b) Virtue alone.
(c) Loneliness with another.
7. During the storming of the Bastille, how many volumes of Sade's library were looted?
8. What did Sade state that "I have never written"?
(a) Sins against God.
(b) Aberrations of Nature.
(c) Sinful memories.
(d) Immoral books.
9. Villeterque accused Rousseau, Voltaire, Marmontel, Fielding, and Richardson of "painting" ____________.
10. What do biographers fail to present in regard to Sade?
(a) An authentic portrait of him.
(b) An objective view on his work.
(c) A history of his life in Bastille.
(d) A record of his crimes.
11. According to Beauvoir, what did Sade long for?
(a) A strong soul.
(b) The ability to be regarded as a famous writer.
(c) A real life.
(d) The ability to do what he wished without punishment.
12. What chemist did Klossowski quote regarding his fears about Nature?
13. With what people did the novel originate?
(a) The Moors.
(b) The Greeks.
(c) The Egyptions.
(d) The Palestinians.
14. What "matter" does Courval state "concerns me not the least"?
(a) Her birth.
(b) Her sin.
(c) Her religion.
(d) Her modesty.
15. Whom did Klossowski name as the "original guilty party"?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was the Bastille stormed?
2. When does Nature find man "wrong"?
3. Who, according to Sade, passed novels on to "our courtly storytellers"?
4. What kind of feeling did Villeterque state that he had while reading Sade's work?
5. On what holiday did Sade terrorize Rose Keller?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)