|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year did both Maurice Heine and Gilbert Lely give as the birth year of Sade "the writer"?
2. Where does Courval spend most of his time?
(a) Near Caaux.
(b) Near Laiz.
(c) Near Nemours.
(d) Near Saulcet.
3. Which author did Sade supposedly ignore because of his jealousy regarding the individual's success as a writer?
(b) Thackeray .
4. What writer loathed Sade and referred to him as "monster author"?
5. What did Sade call Villeterque at the opening of his reply to him?
(a) Hack writer.
6. What did Sade state that "I have never written"?
(a) Aberrations of Nature.
(b) Sins against God.
(c) Sinful memories.
(d) Immoral books.
7. What character did Beauvoir claim had been created as a projection of Sade himself?
8. Who mistreated a poor family and then called for his own punishment by whipping?
9. What did Klossowski state was the only way Sadean conscience recovers her liberty?
(a) By forgetting who she is completely.
(b) By destroying her own works.
(c) By forging forward at all costs.
(d) By insuring that her works become immortal.
10. During the storming of the Bastille, how many volumes of Sade's library were looted?
11. In what novel did Sade say virtue was best rewarded?
(a) "Juliette et Raunai."
(b) "Les Dangers de la Bienfaisance."
(c) "Le Président Mystifié."
(d) "Le Criminel Par Vertu."
12. What name is given to "any work of imagination fashioned from the most uncommon adventures which men experience in the course of their lives"?
13. How old was Florville when she had a child that died?
14. What kind of opinions does an author hold when they contradict their own views?
15. Whom did Klossowski name as the "original guilty party"?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what cell was Sade kept while at Vincennes prison?
2. According to "Must We Burn Sade?" what happened to Sade's manuscripts?
3. In what month was Sade married?
4. What chemist did Klossowski quote regarding his fears about Nature?
5. Why did Beauvoir state that Sade "mistrusted everything and everybody"?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)