|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Sade, the truly honest man refuses to deal in ____________.
2. Villeterque wonders about the painting of scenes where crime reigns __________.
(a) As Nature wanted.
3. On what holiday did Sade terrorize Rose Keller?
(b) All Hallow's Eve.
(d) New Year's.
4. What was the first thing that Sade did when society "quickly seized upon Sade's secret and classified it as a crime"?
(b) All of the given answers.
5. Which of Sade's plays was a great success?
(a) "Les Fetes de l'amitie."
(b) "Les Antiquaires."
(c) "Le Prevaricateur ou le Magistrat du temps passe."
6. In what month was Sade married?
7. In Klossowski's quoting of "120 Days of Sodom," what will never exist "wherever men are equal and when differences do not exist"?
8. "Punishments are always ___________________ to the crime."
9. At the end of his review, what did Villeterque say would happen to Rousseau, Voltaire, Marmontel, Fielding, and Richardson?
(a) They would "be found guilty of their crimes."
(b) They would be "read no more."
(c) They would "be exhaulted."
(d) They would "be revered."
10. What was Voltaire's purpose in writing?
(a) To create law.
(b) To put forth new knowledge.
(c) To insert philosophy in his novels.
(d) To admonish culture.
11. According to Sade, who needed to be classified as poets and not novelists?
(a) The prose writers.
(b) The satirists.
(c) The miracle pageant writers.
(d) The troubadours.
12. What did Sade state that "I have never written"?
(a) Sins against God.
(b) Sinful memories.
(c) Aberrations of Nature.
(d) Immoral books.
13. Who taught Florville to live a virtuous life?
14. What did Klossowski state was a "moral being and not a created being"?
15. What did Sade believe Villeterque's insults were "dictated by"?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years longer does Sade say that Courval will live?
2. Where does Courval spend most of his time?
3. How much did Florville receive from her adoptive mother upon her death?
4. What year did both Maurice Heine and Gilbert Lely give as the birth year of Sade "the writer"?
5. Villeterque accused Rousseau, Voltaire, Marmontel, Fielding, and Richardson of saying that the way to happiness was _______________.
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)