|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What writer loathed Sade and referred to him as "monster author"?
2. Villeterque accused Sade of portraying villains who were _________.
3. What did Sade call Villeterque at the opening of his reply to him?
(b) Hack writer.
4. What was Voltaire's purpose in writing?
(a) To create law.
(b) To put forth new knowledge.
(c) To admonish culture.
(d) To insert philosophy in his novels.
5. Who ordered a mistress of a brothel to stop giving women to Sade?
(a) Sade's mother-in-law.
(b) Sade's mother.
(c) Sade's wife.
(d) An inspector.
6. During the storming of the Bastille, how many volumes of Sade's library were looted?
7. Which author did Sade supposedly ignore because of his jealousy regarding the individual's success as a writer?
(d) Thackeray .
8. In what novel did Sade say virtue was best rewarded?
(a) "Le Criminel Par Vertu."
(b) "Les Dangers de la Bienfaisance."
(c) "Juliette et Raunai."
(d) "Le Président Mystifié."
9. What did Sade call Villeterque during his response to him?
10. How many children does Courval have?
11. What kind of opinions does an author hold when they contradict their own views?
12. Who engineered Sade's escape form Miolans?
(a) His mistress.
(b) His mother.
(c) His best friend.
(d) His wife.
13. Given that Beauvoir stated that he found no "hint of ambition" in Sade, what did Beauvoir state that he believed about Sade?
(a) He was bound for greatness.
(b) He was satisfied living a mundane life.
(c) He was a coward.
(d) He would be burned for his sins.
14. What "matter" does Courval state "concerns me not the least"?
(a) Her sin.
(b) Her modesty.
(c) Her birth.
(d) Her religion.
15. According to Beauvoir, what did Sade long for?
(a) The ability to be regarded as a famous writer.
(b) A real life.
(c) The ability to do what he wished without punishment.
(d) A strong soul.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of feeling did Villeterque state that he had while reading Sade's work?
2. According to Sade, the Romans had the weaknesses of ________________.
3. What did Sade believe Villeterque's insults were "dictated by"?
4. What does Courval's wife devote herself to after leaving him?
5. Courval is told that Florville is related to ______________.
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)