|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Madame de Verquin tries to set Florville up with __________.
(a) A slave boy.
(d) An officer in the Navy.
2. According to "Must We Burn Sade?" what happened to Sade's manuscripts?
(a) They were stolen.
(b) They were burned.
(c) They were lost.
(d) They were banned.
3. Who taught Florville to live a virtuous life?
4. What year did both Maurice Heine and Gilbert Lely give as the birth year of Sade "the writer"?
5. Where did Florville go to give birth?
6. Villeterque accused Rousseau, Voltaire, Marmontel, Fielding, and Richardson of "painting" ____________.
7. In what year was the Bastille stormed?
8. Where does Courval spend most of his time?
(a) Near Saulcet.
(b) Near Caaux.
(c) Near Nemours.
(d) Near Laiz.
9. How many years longer does Sade say that Courval will live?
10. What did Sade call Villeterque at the opening of his reply to him?
(a) Hack writer.
11. What did Klossowski state was a "moral being and not a created being"?
12. What did Sade believe Villeterque's insults were "dictated by"?
13. At the end of his review, what did Villeterque say would happen to Rousseau, Voltaire, Marmontel, Fielding, and Richardson?
(a) They would "be found guilty of their crimes."
(b) They would "be exhaulted."
(c) They would "be revered."
(d) They would be "read no more."
14. What kind of opinions does an author hold when they contradict their own views?
15. What name is given to "any work of imagination fashioned from the most uncommon adventures which men experience in the course of their lives"?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Beauvoir, what did Sade long for?
2. What writer loathed Sade and referred to him as "monster author"?
3. What did Sade call Villeterque during his response to him?
4. In March of 1793, how old was Sade?
5. Who did Beauvoir state embodied Sade's failure?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)