|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Voltaire's purpose in writing?
(a) To admonish culture.
(b) To put forth new knowledge.
(c) To create law.
(d) To insert philosophy in his novels.
2. What do biographers fail to present in regard to Sade?
(a) A history of his life in Bastille.
(b) A record of his crimes.
(c) An authentic portrait of him.
(d) An objective view on his work.
3. What did Klossowski state was the only way Sadean conscience recovers her liberty?
(a) By forging forward at all costs.
(b) By forgetting who she is completely.
(c) By destroying her own works.
(d) By insuring that her works become immortal.
4. Who is the first slave to Nature's laws?
5. Villeterque wonders about the painting of scenes where crime reigns __________.
(b) As Nature wanted.
6. Villeterque accused Rousseau, Voltaire, Marmontel, Fielding, and Richardson of saying that the way to happiness was _______________.
(a) Loneliness with another.
(c) Sin alone.
(d) Virtue alone.
7. What book did Sade say that Villeterque had not read, based upon his "stupid account"?
(b) "L'Instituteur Philosophe."
(c) "Les Crimes de L'Amour."
(d) "Le Cocu de Lui-même."
8. According to Sade, the Romans had the weaknesses of ________________.
(a) Hate and power.
(b) Prayer and love.
(c) Lust and love.
(d) Spite and malice.
9. What "matter" does Courval state "concerns me not the least"?
(a) Her birth.
(b) Her religion.
(c) Her sin.
(d) Her modesty.
10. Who taught Florville to live a virtuous life?
11. What did Sade call Villeterque at the opening of his reply to him?
(a) Hack writer.
12. Who ordered a mistress of a brothel to stop giving women to Sade?
(a) An inspector.
(b) Sade's mother.
(c) Sade's mother-in-law.
(d) Sade's wife.
13. During the storming of the Bastille, how many volumes of Sade's library were looted?
14. In March of 1793, how old was Sade?
15. Who engineered Sade's escape form Miolans?
(a) His wife.
(b) His mistress.
(c) His best friend.
(d) His mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name is given to "any work of imagination fashioned from the most uncommon adventures which men experience in the course of their lives"?
2. How old is Florville during the action of the story?
3. What did Sade "push to a point" where "it will be invested with the form of a truly transcendental fatalism"?
4. What did Sade call Villeterque during his response to him?
5. How old was Florville when she had a child that died?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)