|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The 120 Days of Sodom: Part One.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Sade accuse Villeterque of quoting?
(a) Out of context passages of dialogue.
(b) Out of context passages of lust.
(c) Out of context isolated phrases.
(d) Out of context delusions.
2. According to Klossowski, "the substitution of Nature in a state of perpetual motion for God signifies, not the arrival of a happier era for humanity," but ____________________.
(a) The beginning of tragedy.
(b) The acceptance of the refusal to change.
(c) The reality of sin.
(d) The right to do as one wished.
3. What kind of opinions does an author hold when they contradict their own views?
4. According to Beauvoir, what did Sade come to know at an early age?
(a) Foulness and violence.
(b) Hatred and violence.
(c) Hatred and sadism.
(d) Resentment and violence.
5. The "society" collect dues for __________.
(c) Interests of pleasure.
(d) Court fines.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was the Bastille stormed?
2. According to Sade, man is prey to what two weaknesses?
3. Villeterque accused Rousseau, Voltaire, Marmontel, Fielding, and Richardson of "painting" ____________.
4. According to "Must We Burn Sade?" what happened to Sade's manuscripts?
5. What do the eight young sultanas serve to the "society" at 11:00?
This section contains 212 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)