|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Villeterque's Review of Les Crimes de l'Amour and Sade's Reply.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Sade accuse Villeterque of quoting?
(a) Out of context passages of lust.
(b) Out of context delusions.
(c) Out of context isolated phrases.
(d) Out of context passages of dialogue.
2. "Punishments are always ___________________ to the crime."
3. At the end of his review, what did Villeterque say would happen to Rousseau, Voltaire, Marmontel, Fielding, and Richardson?
(a) They would "be revered."
(b) They would "be exhaulted."
(c) They would "be found guilty of their crimes."
(d) They would be "read no more."
4. Who mistreated a poor family and then called for his own punishment by whipping?
5. According to Beauvoir, what did Sade come to know at an early age?
(a) Foulness and violence.
(b) Resentment and violence.
(c) Hatred and sadism.
(d) Hatred and violence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do biographers fail to present in regard to Sade?
2. What did Sade believe Villeterque's insults were "dictated by"?
3. What year did both Maurice Heine and Gilbert Lely give as the birth year of Sade "the writer"?
4. According to Sade, the Romans had the weaknesses of ________________.
5. Which of Sade's plays was a great success?
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)