|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Villeterque's Review of Les Crimes de l'Amour and Sade's Reply.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the first thing that Sade did when society "quickly seized upon Sade's secret and classified it as a crime"?
(a) All of the given answers.
2. According to Freud, what is "the life instinct"?
3. Who were the first novelists in Europe where "we dwell today"?
(a) The Greeks.
(b) The Romans.
(c) The Italians.
(d) The Gauls.
4. What did Sade believe Villeterque's insults were "dictated by"?
5. Who, according to Sade, passed novels on to "our courtly storytellers"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Villeterque accused Sade of portraying villains who were _________.
2. What year did both Maurice Heine and Gilbert Lely give as the birth year of Sade "the writer"?
3. Who had written successful novels, although he "indulged vice and strayed from virtue"?
4. In what month was Sade married?
5. What did Sade accuse Villeterque of quoting?
This section contains 173 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)