|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Reflections on the Novel.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Sade's plays was a great success?
(a) "Le Prevaricateur ou le Magistrat du temps passe."
(b) "Les Antiquaires."
(c) "Les Fetes de l'amitie."
2. Who engineered Sade's escape form Miolans?
(a) His wife.
(b) His mother.
(c) His mistress.
(d) His best friend.
3. Why did Beauvoir state that Sade "mistrusted everything and everybody"?
(a) Sade was a criminal.
(b) Sade was bipolar.
(c) Sade's bad relationship with his mother.
(d) Sade was maladjusted.
4. What was Voltaire's purpose in writing?
(a) To insert philosophy in his novels.
(b) To create law.
(c) To put forth new knowledge.
(d) To admonish culture.
5. According to Beauvoir, what did Sade come to know at an early age?
(a) Resentment and violence.
(b) Foulness and violence.
(c) Hatred and sadism.
(d) Hatred and violence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year did both Maurice Heine and Gilbert Lely give as the birth year of Sade "the writer"?
2. According to Klossowski, "what we call crime must contain the key" to ___________.
3. What chemist did Klossowski quote regarding his fears about Nature?
4. What was the first thing that Sade did when society "quickly seized upon Sade's secret and classified it as a crime"?
5. Where was the only place that Sade believed he could assert himself?
This section contains 210 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)