|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Reflections on the Novel.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Beauvoir, what did Sade long for?
(a) The ability to do what he wished without punishment.
(b) A strong soul.
(c) A real life.
(d) The ability to be regarded as a famous writer.
2. "Punishments are always ___________________ to the crime."
3. Why did Beauvoir state that Sade "mistrusted everything and everybody"?
(a) Sade was a criminal.
(b) Sade's bad relationship with his mother.
(c) Sade was bipolar.
(d) Sade was maladjusted.
4. According to Klossowski, "the substitution of Nature in a state of perpetual motion for God signifies, not the arrival of a happier era for humanity," but ____________________.
(a) The acceptance of the refusal to change.
(b) The right to do as one wished.
(c) The reality of sin.
(d) The beginning of tragedy.
5. In March of 1793, how old was Sade?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Klossowski, "what we call crime must contain the key" to ___________.
2. According to Freud, what is "the life instinct"?
3. Which of Sade's plays was a great success?
4. Which author did Sade supposedly ignore because of his jealousy regarding the individual's success as a writer?
5. What year did both Maurice Heine and Gilbert Lely give as the birth year of Sade "the writer"?
This section contains 214 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)