|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Reflections on the Novel.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Sade, the Romans had the weaknesses of ________________.
(a) Prayer and love.
(b) Lust and love.
(c) Hate and power.
(d) Spite and malice.
2. What did Sade "push to a point" where "it will be invested with the form of a truly transcendental fatalism"?
(b) Crime and ounishment.
(c) Materialistic atheism.
3. Who did Beauvoir state embodied Sade's failure?
(a) His own mother.
(b) His wife.
(c) His mother-in-law.
(d) His son.
4. Who is the first slave to Nature's laws?
5. Whom did Klossowski quote about "original sin"?
(d) Joseph de Maistre.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Sade imprisoned for debt?
2. According to Klossowski, what philosopher opposed the sufferings of the innocent?
3. What chemist did Klossowski quote regarding his fears about Nature?
4. According to Klossowski, "the substitution of Nature in a state of perpetual motion for God signifies, not the arrival of a happier era for humanity," but ____________________.
5. What was Voltaire's purpose in writing?
This section contains 197 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)