|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Oxtiern, or The Misfortunes of Libertinage.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who ordered a mistress of a brothel to stop giving women to Sade?
(a) Sade's wife.
(b) Sade's mother-in-law.
(c) An inspector.
(d) Sade's mother.
2. "Punishments are always ___________________ to the crime."
3. What do biographers fail to present in regard to Sade?
(a) A record of his crimes.
(b) An authentic portrait of him.
(c) A history of his life in Bastille.
(d) An objective view on his work.
4. Where does Oxtiern plan to take Ernestine after leaving Fabrice's home?
(a) To Kalix.
(b) To Dalby.
(c) To Norrkoping.
(d) To Hogelid.
5. Who did Beauvoir state embodied Sade's failure?
(a) His mother-in-law.
(b) His own mother.
(c) His wife.
(d) His son.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Freud, what is "the life instinct"?
2. What did Sade accuse Villeterque of quoting?
3. According to Ernestine, what will she never be able to do again?
4. Given that Beauvoir stated that he found no "hint of ambition" in Sade, what did Beauvoir state that he believed about Sade?
5. How many men are gathered to be "guests" at the first supper party of "the society"?
This section contains 216 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)