|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Reflections on the Novel.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which author did Sade supposedly ignore because of his jealousy regarding the individual's success as a writer?
(c) Thackeray .
2. Who engineered Sade's escape form Miolans?
(a) His wife.
(b) His best friend.
(c) His mistress.
(d) His mother.
3. What was Voltaire's purpose in writing?
(a) To insert philosophy in his novels.
(b) To create law.
(c) To put forth new knowledge.
(d) To admonish culture.
4. What name is given to "any work of imagination fashioned from the most uncommon adventures which men experience in the course of their lives"?
5. According to Freud, what is "the life instinct"?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Sade, man is prey to what two weaknesses?
2. What year did both Maurice Heine and Gilbert Lely give as the birth year of Sade "the writer"?
3. During the storming of the Bastille, how many volumes of Sade's library were looted?
4. According to Beauvoir, what did Sade long for?
5. What was the only thing that Sade believed would fulfill his existence?
This section contains 201 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)