|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Reflections on the Novel.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What writer loathed Sade and referred to him as "monster author"?
2. Who, according to Sade, passed novels on to "our courtly storytellers"?
3. In March of 1793, how old was Sade?
4. Given that Beauvoir stated that he found no "hint of ambition" in Sade, what did Beauvoir state that he believed about Sade?
(a) He was satisfied living a mundane life.
(b) He was a coward.
(c) He was bound for greatness.
(d) He would be burned for his sins.
5. Which of Sade's plays was a great success?
(b) "Le Prevaricateur ou le Magistrat du temps passe."
(c) "Les Antiquaires."
(d) "Les Fetes de l'amitie."
Short Answer Questions
1. What character did Beauvoir claim had been created as a projection of Sade himself?
2. Who ordered a mistress of a brothel to stop giving women to Sade?
3. Who mistreated a poor family and then called for his own punishment by whipping?
4. According to Sade, man is prey to what two weaknesses?
5. Who had written successful novels, although he "indulged vice and strayed from virtue"?
This section contains 201 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)