|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Reflections on the Novel.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Sade "push to a point" where "it will be invested with the form of a truly transcendental fatalism"?
(b) Materialistic atheism.
(d) Crime and ounishment.
2. "Punishments are always ___________________ to the crime."
3. Who mistreated a poor family and then called for his own punishment by whipping?
4. Who were the first novelists in Europe where "we dwell today"?
(a) The Greeks.
(b) The Romans.
(c) The Italians.
(d) The Gauls.
5. Given that Beauvoir stated that he found no "hint of ambition" in Sade, what did Beauvoir state that he believed about Sade?
(a) He was satisfied living a mundane life.
(b) He was bound for greatness.
(c) He would be burned for his sins.
(d) He was a coward.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Klossowski state was the only way Sadean conscience recovers her liberty?
2. Who had written successful novels, although he "indulged vice and strayed from virtue"?
3. What was the only thing that Sade believed would fulfill his existence?
4. According to Sade, man is prey to what two weaknesses?
5. According to Freud, what is "the life instinct"?
This section contains 223 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)