|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Reflections on the Novel.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Klossowski, "what we call crime must contain the key" to ___________.
(b) Societal aversions.
2. In March of 1793, how old was Sade?
3. What was Voltaire's purpose in writing?
(a) To admonish culture.
(b) To insert philosophy in his novels.
(c) To put forth new knowledge.
(d) To create law.
4. Who did Beauvoir state embodied Sade's failure?
(a) His mother-in-law.
(b) His son.
(c) His own mother.
(d) His wife.
5. According to Beauvoir, what did Sade come to know at an early age?
(a) Resentment and violence.
(b) Hatred and violence.
(c) Foulness and violence.
(d) Hatred and sadism.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Beauvoir, what did Sade long for?
2. What name is given to "any work of imagination fashioned from the most uncommon adventures which men experience in the course of their lives"?
3. Given that Beauvoir stated that he found no "hint of ambition" in Sade, what did Beauvoir state that he believed about Sade?
4. What was the only thing that Sade believed would fulfill his existence?
5. According to "Must We Burn Sade?" what happened to Sade's manuscripts?
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)