|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Chapter 25 begin?
2. Where did Jonas Jonasson study language?
3. In what secret city did the Soviets develop their atomic bomb program?
4. Who is the deputy chief of police in Jönköping that Chief Inspector Aronsson has gotten a lead from in Chapter 17?
5. During what years is Chapter 20 set?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is indicated through Allan's meeting with President Nixon in Chapter 26?
2. How are Allan's years in Bali described in Chapter 20?
3. What motif appears in Chapter 16? How does this motif reflect upon Allan's character?
4. What is significant about the explosion in Chapter 28?
5. What leads to the conflict between Allan and President Johnson in Chapter 23?
6. How is the setting described in Chapter 28? How does the setting evolve?
7. Why does Chief Inspector Aronsson decide to join Allan and his friends in the end of the novel?
8. What story do Allan and his friends give to Prosecutor Ranelid in Chapter 25?
9. How would you describe Allan's behavior when he meets President Johnson in Chapter 23?
10. How have the mood and tone of the narrative changed in Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are examples of irony that surround the characters of the Boss and Bosse in the novel? What history do these characters share? How has their relationship changed when they re-meet in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Allan's friendship with Esteban and his subsequent journey to Spain. What world leader does Allan meet in Spain? What is the basis of Allan's friendship with this historical figure? How does Allan depart Spain?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Allan Karlsson in The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared. What qualities of Allan's characterization make him a good protagonist? What are Allan's weaknesses? What can you discern of the character based on his actions in the story?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)