|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does the man presumed to be Albert Einstein claim to be after he has been kidnapped by the Soviets?
2. Why has Allan exploded his cottage in the end of the novel?
3. How old is Ni Wayan Laksmi when she meets Allan and Herbert in Bali?
4. In what year does the narrator describe the Balinese volcano eruption in Chapter 23?
5. What is Bosse's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the setting described in Chapter 28? How does the setting evolve?
2. How do the themes of fate and chance apply to Allan and the main characters in the novel?
3. What motif appears in Chapter 16? How does this motif reflect upon Allan's character?
4. How do Allan and Herbert manage to escape the gulag in Chapter 18?
5. What does Allan solicit Yury Borisovich to do in Chapter 26? How does he go about convincing him?
6. What is significant about the explosion in Chapter 28?
7. What makes Allan agree to cooperate with the government agent in the Epilogue?
8. How is the theme of fate illustrated in Chapter 18?
9. What story do Allan and his friends give to Prosecutor Ranelid in Chapter 25?
10. How does Allan feel about Amanda Einstein's rise in political power in Bali?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Bucket track down Allan and his cohorts? What does Bucket do once he finds them? How is Bucket killed? What are the repercussions of Bucket's death on the protagonist?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of fate, chance, and destiny in The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared. How does the author develop these themes through character, setting, symbolism, and imagery? What is Allan's viewpoint regarding the happenstance nature of life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the circular and nonlinear aspects of the narrative. Why do you think the author chooses to jump back and forth through time in telling Allan's story? How does the beginning of the novel relate to its ending?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)