|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what caste does Ni Wayan Laksmi's family belong in Bali?
2. During what dates is Chapter 22 set?
3. How much money has the sailor been paid for dumping Bucket's remains in Chapter 22?
4. In what field of study does Herbert's wife get a degree in Chapter 20?
5. On what date does Allan go to the Moscow Opera to look for Yury in Chapter 26?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Allan and Herbert manage to escape the gulag in Chapter 18?
2. What story do Allan and his friends give to Prosecutor Ranelid in Chapter 25?
3. How would you describe Allan's behavior when he meets President Johnson in Chapter 23?
4. Would you consider the revelations in Chapter 22 to be realistic? Why or why not?
5. How does Yury Borisovich react when he encounters Allan in Chapter 26?
6. What is significant about the explosion in Chapter 28?
7. What is indicated through Allan's meeting with President Nixon in Chapter 26?
8. How are Allan's years in Bali described in Chapter 20?
9. How do the themes of fate and chance apply to Allan and the main characters in the novel?
10. How have the Boss's objectives changed in Chapter 17? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Allan Karlsson in The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared. What qualities of Allan's characterization make him a good protagonist? What are Allan's weaknesses? What can you discern of the character based on his actions in the story?
Essay Topic 2
What are examples of irony that surround the characters of the Boss and Bosse in the novel? What history do these characters share? How has their relationship changed when they re-meet in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the characters of Herbert and Amanda Einstein in the narrative. Where do Herbert and Amanda meet? What career does Amanda pursue after their marriage? How does Allan regard Amanda?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)