|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what caste does Ni Wayan Laksmi's family belong in Bali?
2. Where does the chauffeur drive Allan to meet his potential employer in Chapter 16?
3. Who was the Nobel-prize laureate that Yury Borisovich Popov studied with?
4. On what date does Chapter 29 begin?
5. What years are covered in Chapter 26?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the setting described in Chapter 28? How does the setting evolve?
2. How are Allan's years in Bali described in Chapter 20?
3. What leads to the conflict between Allan and President Johnson in Chapter 23?
4. How have the Boss's objectives changed in Chapter 17? Why?
5. How is the theme of fate illustrated in Chapter 18?
6. What story do Allan and his friends give to Prosecutor Ranelid in Chapter 25?
7. How have Allan's circumstances changed by the beginning of Chapter 24?
8. How would you describe Allan's behavior when he meets President Johnson in Chapter 23?
9. What is reflected through the reconsiliation of Benny and Bosse in the narrative?
10. Would you consider the revelations in Chapter 22 to be realistic? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the characters of Prosecutor Ranelid and Chief Inspector Aronsson in The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared. What are the actions, objectives, and obstacles that these characters face? How are these characters similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Allan's encounter with Winston Churchill in the narrative. How does Allan "save" Churchill? Is the author's depiction of Churchill realistic and/or historically accurate? How does Churchill regard Allan?
Essay Topic 3
What are examples of irony that surround the characters of the Boss and Bosse in the novel? What history do these characters share? How has their relationship changed when they re-meet in the story?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)