|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Amanda begin writing after Allan gives her a computer?
2. When does Chapter 25 begin?
3. Where does the chauffeur drive Allan to meet his potential employer in Chapter 16?
4. In what year does Chapter 18 begin?
5. During what years is Chapter 20 set?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Prosecutor Ranelid's main objective in coming to Bellringer Farm in Chapter 25?
2. How have Allan's circumstances changed by the beginning of Chapter 24?
3. What story do Allan and his friends give to Prosecutor Ranelid in Chapter 25?
4. How have the mood and tone of the narrative changed in Chapter 19?
5. Why does Allan's meeting with Joseph Stalin end badly? What are the repercussions of the meeting?
6. Why does Chief Inspector Aronsson decide to join Allan and his friends in the end of the novel?
7. How does Allan's involvement influence the historical development of atomic weapons?
8. Would you consider the revelations in Chapter 22 to be realistic? Why or why not?
9. How do the themes of fate and chance apply to Allan and the main characters in the novel?
10. What motif appears in Chapter 16? How does this motif reflect upon Allan's character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are examples of irony that surround the characters of the Boss and Bosse in the novel? What history do these characters share? How has their relationship changed when they re-meet in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Allan Karlsson in The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared. What qualities of Allan's characterization make him a good protagonist? What are Allan's weaknesses? What can you discern of the character based on his actions in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the characters of Prosecutor Ranelid and Chief Inspector Aronsson in The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared. What are the actions, objectives, and obstacles that these characters face? How are these characters similar? How are they different?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)