|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What celebration is set to take place on the day that Allan escapes the nursing home?
2. Who arrests and questions Allan after he has blown up his childhood home in Chapter 7?
3. What is the name of the company that Allan establishes after his mother's death?
4. Who spends much of his time fishing while staying at the Beauty's farm?
5. When does Chapter 14 begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Allan's meeting with world leaders throughout the narrative?
2. What is notable about the first and last chapters of The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared?
3. How does Allan describe his political views in Chapter 13?
4. How does the narrator describe Bolt's character?
5. What protagonist characters are introduced in Chapter 6? What does their introduction represent?
6. What causes Allan's father to leave his family and go to Russia during Allan's childhood?
7. What is illustrated through Allan's encounter with Father Ferguson in Chapter 13?
8. How do Allan and his friends attain safe refuge from their assailants in Chapter 15?
9. What is illustrated through Allan's meeting with Bolt at the train station in Chapter 2?
10. For whom is Allan working in Chapter 11? Why does he change sides?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Allan Karlsson in The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared. What qualities of Allan's characterization make him a good protagonist? What are Allan's weaknesses? What can you discern of the character based on his actions in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the circular and nonlinear aspects of the narrative. Why do you think the author chooses to jump back and forth through time in telling Allan's story? How does the beginning of the novel relate to its ending?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Allan's encounter with Bolt at the train station in the beginning of the novel. What leads Allan to steal the suitcase? How does Bolt respond when he discovers the suitcase to be missing? How does he manage to find Allan?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)