|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bolt's real name revealed to be in Chapter 10?
2. What words are on the jacket of the greasy young man who has left his suitcase with Allan at the train statoin?
3. Who is the husband of Soong May-ling?
4. What is Allan Karlsson's middle name?
5. During what years is Chapter 11 set?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about the Boss's actions in Chapter 12?
2. What leads to the conflict between the Beauty and the other characters in Chapter 8?
3. For whom is Allan working in Chapter 11? Why does he change sides?
4. What is illustrated through Allan's encounter with Father Ferguson in Chapter 13?
5. What is notable about the first and last chapters of The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared?
6. How does black comedy contribute to the tone and mood of The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared?
7. What causes Allan's father to leave his family and go to Russia during Allan's childhood?
8. What is illustrated through Allan's encounter meeting Julius in Chapter 3?
9. What protagonist characters are introduced in Chapter 6? What does their introduction represent?
10. What antagonistic characters are introduced in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was Allen incarcerated after his arrival in the United States? For how long was he held? Where is Allan taken after his release? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the characters of Herbert and Amanda Einstein in the narrative. Where do Herbert and Amanda meet? What career does Amanda pursue after their marriage? How does Allan regard Amanda?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the circular and nonlinear aspects of the narrative. Why do you think the author chooses to jump back and forth through time in telling Allan's story? How does the beginning of the novel relate to its ending?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)