|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Prime Minister with whose daughter Esteban fell in love?
2. Where does the narrator describe Allan's mother marching in the May Day parade in Chapter 4?
3. What celebration is set to take place on the day that Allan escapes the nursing home?
4. To what location do General Franco's escorts take Allan so that he can take a ship home after leaving Spain?
5. What is Julius's last name in the narrative?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the major conflicts in Chapter 8 resolved?
2. How would you compare the characters in the contemporary timeline to those in the historical timelines in the novel?
3. What character is introduced at a press meeting in Chapter 5? How is the media depicted?
4. How do Allan and his friends attain safe refuge from their assailants in Chapter 15?
5. How does black comedy contribute to the tone and mood of The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared?
6. How does the author employ black comedy in describing Bucket's death?
7. What is ironic about Allan's meeting with world leaders throughout the narrative?
8. How does Allan describe his political views in Chapter 13?
9. What central character is introduced in Chapter 1? What is he doing when the narrative begins?
10. How does the narrator describe Bolt's character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character called "the Boss" in the novel. What is the Boss's real name? How does the Boss become injured and who takes care of him after his injury?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Allan Karlsson in The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared. What qualities of Allan's characterization make him a good protagonist? What are Allan's weaknesses? What can you discern of the character based on his actions in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Allan's encounter with Bolt at the train station in the beginning of the novel. What leads Allan to steal the suitcase? How does Bolt respond when he discovers the suitcase to be missing? How does he manage to find Allan?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)