|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the man in the suit describe his country's president in the Epilogue?
(a) A wise and responsible person.
(b) A loose cannon.
(c) Mad and insufferable.
(d) A dictator.
2. How old is Allan when he returns to Sweden and buys a cottage in Chapter 28?
3. How much money is promised to Allan if his help to the Soviets helps produce an atomic bomb in Chapter 16?
4. What title does the American President give for Ryan Hutton in Chapter 23?
(a) Prime Minister.
(b) Head of Staff.
(d) Legal advisor.
5. What political party does Herbert's wife found in Chapter 20?
(a) The Balinese Labor Party.
(b) The Communist Bali Party.
(c) The Liberal Democratic Freedom Party.
(d) The Socialist Balinese Labor Party.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the word "kodok" translate to from Balinese?
2. On what date does Allan go to the Moscow Opera to look for Yury in Chapter 26?
3. Who was the Nobel-prize laureate that Yury Borisovich Popov studied with?
4. What is Bosse's last name?
5. Where does the chauffeur drive Allan to meet his potential employer in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads to the conflict between Allan and President Johnson in Chapter 23?
2. What does Allan solicit Yury Borisovich to do in Chapter 26? How does he go about convincing him?
3. What government agent comes to meet with Allan in the Epilogue? Why is this significant?
4. How is the setting described in Chapter 28? How does the setting evolve?
5. How is Allan's life echoed through the actions in the Epilogue?
6. How is the confrontation between Chief Inspector Aronsson and Allan described in Chapter 21?
7. What is Prosecutor Ranelid's main objective in coming to Bellringer Farm in Chapter 25?
8. What story do Allan and his friends give to Prosecutor Ranelid in Chapter 25?
9. Why does Allan's meeting with Joseph Stalin end badly? What are the repercussions of the meeting?
10. What are Chief Inspector Aronsson's impressions of Allan and his friends when he meets them in Chapter 21?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)