|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Robert Stevenson family's business was founded in what year?
2. Arne Duncan stated that America was ranked what in the world in the number of college graduates per capita?
3. When did the Three Mile Island accident occur?
4. In a report entitled, "Rising Above the Gathering Storm," which was requested by Congress in 2005, statistics showed that funding of R&D as a percentage of GDP had declined by what percentage over forty years?
5. To what political party does Michelle Bachmann belong?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the authors describe the beginning of the twenty-first century?
2. What examples do the authors make of Wendy Kopp and Robert Stevenson?
3. What is the role of lobbyists in American Politics? How are they described in Chapter 12?
4. How do the authors use Dick Cheney as reasoning to fight climate change in Chapter 10?
5. What do the authors assert as the reason Paul O'Neill was fired?
6. How do the authors describe partisan politics in Chapter 12: "Whatever It Is, I'm Against It"?
7. What led to the housing bubble in America, according to the authors in Chapter 11: "The Terrible Twos"?
8. How did the Three Mile Island incident impact America's use of nuclear energy?
9. How do the authors describe Americans' growing sense of entitlement?
10. How do the authors describe the impact of the Tea Party in 2010?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the impact of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster. How has this incident changed contemporary perceptions about nuclear power? In what ways is this disaster similar and different than that of Three Mile Island?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the restructuring of the job market and the disparity between Wall Street and Main Street. How is Wall Street affected differently in a recession? What structural challenges are faced in the labor market today? What do the authors assert needs to be done to repair this disparity?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss education in America today. How do you feel your education compares to education in countries like China or Japan, or to European nations? Do you feel there is a lack of drive in American education? Why or why not? How do the authors feel about this subject?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)