|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the authors, Ronald Reagan was against deficits and raised taxes how many times during his eight years in office?
2. Robert Stevenson family's business was founded in what year?
3. A disproportionate number of officers on what missile cruiser in the U.S. Navy are women?
4. What refers to the current rise in the average temperature of Earth's atmosphere and oceans and its projected continuation?
5. Where did Arne Duncan previously work as CEO?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the role of lobbyists in American Politics? How are they described in Chapter 12?
2. When was the gold standard scrapped? What do the authors say regarding this in Chapter 9?
3. What do the authors say is the reasoning behind Michele Bachmann's comment and those who believed it?
4. What do the authors maintain to be reasons for hope for America in Chapter 14: "They Just Didn't Get the Word"?
5. How do the authors describe the beginning of the twenty-first century?
6. What is the principle motivation of politicians in politics today?
7. How do the authors describe the loss of moral values in America in Chapter 13: "Devaluation"?
8. What did Arne Duncan relate about American education?
9. When did the crisis take place on Three Mile Island as described in Chapter 10?
10. When did America begin the process of deficit spending?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the political and economic policies of President Ronald Reagan and those of George W. Bush. How did these presidents differ in regard to their views on climate control? How did they approach the deficit and taxes differently and/or similarly?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the impact of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster. How has this incident changed contemporary perceptions about nuclear power? In what ways is this disaster similar and different than that of Three Mile Island?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the impact of outsourcing on the American economy and job market. When did outsourcing begin to impact the American economy? How has it evolved? How are American jobs impacted by companies moving to India, China, or elsewhere?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)