|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the Ayatollah Khomeini born?
2. When was Paul O'Neill born?
3. What refers to the current rise in the average temperature of Earth's atmosphere and oceans and its projected continuation?
4. When was James Inhofe born?
5. When did the Iranian Revolution take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did America begin the process of deficit spending?
2. What did Arne Duncan relate about American education?
3. What led to the housing bubble in America, according to the authors in Chapter 11: "The Terrible Twos"?
4. How did the Republican Party change in the 1960s?
5. How are the finalists in the 2010 Intel Science Talent Search described in Chapter 11?
6. What has led to the struggle between the old and young, as described in Chapter 9: "The War on Math (and the Future)"?
7. Who are examples used by the authors to demonstrate great success in Chapter 14?
8. What do the authors say regarding America's borrowing power?
9. What is the principle motivation of politicians in politics today?
10. How do the authors describe Americans' growing sense of entitlement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Milton Friedman, President Nixon's Administration, and the history of deficit spending. What did Milton Friedman project would happen with a free market economy? How was the American economy affected by leaving the gold standard?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the six crucial elements to improving education in America as discussed in Chapter 6. Do you agree that these are essential elements to quality education? Who would disagree? How are each of these elements defined, and how do we, as a nation, go about changing them?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the history of liberal arts education and the three "C's" discussed in Chapter 7. Why do many schools today abandon liberal arts? Why do the authors find a broad range of knowledge more advantageous to specialized fields? Do you agree or disagree? Why?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)