|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the fourth major challenge that America faces?
2. When did Tom Friedman travel to China for the World Economic Forum summer conference?
3. According to the authors, what is the first cause for the decline of America?
4. What is an online social networking service and microblogging service that enables its users to send and read text-based posts of up to 140 characters?
5. How many of the top ten prizes were awarded to Russian teams in the the 2011 Association for Computing Collegiate Programming contest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the authors write about the communication technology of social networking?
2. What are the five pillars of prosperity described by the authors in Chapter 3?
3. What three mindsets do the authors describe for being a creative thinker?
4. When did the Cold War end? What impact did this have?
5. How does the author describe Tianjin, China in Chapter 1: "If You See Something, Say Something"? Why did he travel there?
6. What are the six crucial elements to improving America's educational system?
7. What do the authors assert Americans need to do in order to keep up in today's job market?
8. What are ways in which the successful achieve success?
9. What criticisms do the authors assert for the Tea Party movement in Chapter 3: "Ignoring Our History"?
10. What were the results of the 2011 Association for Computing Collegiate Programming contest, according to the authors in Chapter 6: "Homework x 2 = The American Dream"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Senator Inhofe of Oklahoma, Secretary of the Treasury Paul O'Neill, Vice President Dick Cheney, President George W. Bush, and the impact of the climate crisis and the Bush tax cuts in America. How do the authors assert that these Republicans have contributed to the climate crisis? What examples do the authors rely on?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the different mindsets of an immigrant, waitress, and artisan. How do each of these individuals approach problem solving differently? Do you agree with the authors' assertions about creative success? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the importance of critical thinking in today's job market. How do the authors believe jobs will evolve in the future? Why is critical thinking so important in jobs like at DuPont and other companies? How is critical thinking needed more in the military than before?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)