|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the largest professional organization and largest labor union in the United States, representing public school teachers and other support personnel, faculty and staffers at colleges and universities, retired educators, and college students preparing to become teachers?
2. According to the authors, what is the first cause for the decline of America?
3. What, according to the authors, is the driver of the new reality that is making changes at a furious rate, as described in Chapter 4: "Up in the Air"?
4. What does NATO stand for?
5. What is the fourth major challenge that America faces?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did General Martin Dempsey realize about America's soldiers in Chapter 5: "Help Wanted"?
2. What are the three factors brought about by the new flat world of globalization?
3. What United States policy was adopted regarding the Cold War in 1946?
4. What three mindsets do the authors describe for being a creative thinker?
5. What are employers looking for in workers today according to the authors in Chapter 5: "Help Wanted"?
6. How long did it take Tianjin to build the conference building?
7. What do the authors assert Americans must do in order to compete?
8. What do the authors write about Abraham Lincoln's advancements?
9. What are the four major challenges which face the U.S. as described in Chapter 2: "Ignoring Our Problems"?
10. What examples are given for America's decline in ambition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the six crucial elements to improving education in America as discussed in Chapter 6. Do you agree that these are essential elements to quality education? Who would disagree? How are each of these elements defined, and how do we, as a nation, go about changing them?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the different mindsets of an immigrant, waitress, and artisan. How do each of these individuals approach problem solving differently? Do you agree with the authors' assertions about creative success? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Association for Computing Collegiate Programming contest described in Chapter 6. What did the results of the contest indicate for the authors? How has education in former Soviet countries changed?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)