|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Tom Friedman at an education conference when a junior high student told him that the Chinese people have more ambition than Americans?
2. When was Alexander Hamilton born?
3. What is the largest professional organization and largest labor union in the United States, representing public school teachers and other support personnel, faculty and staffers at colleges and universities, retired educators, and college students preparing to become teachers?
4. According to the authors, there are three mindsets when thinking about being a creative creator or a creative server. What is the third?
5. What is the second major challenge that America faces?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did the Cold War end? What impact did this have?
2. In Chapter 2, how do the authors describe the "Long Telegram"?
3. What do the authors assert Americans must do in order to compete?
4. What do the authors write about the communication technology of social networking?
5. What United States policy was adopted regarding the Cold War in 1946?
6. What must be improved in American schools for students to succeed in the global market?
7. What is responsible for the growing lack of jobs in America, according to the authors in Chapter 4?
8. How does the author describe Tianjin, China in Chapter 1: "If You See Something, Say Something"? Why did he travel there?
9. What are the six crucial elements to improving America's educational system?
10. What are ways in which the successful achieve success?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the political and economic policies of President Ronald Reagan and those of George W. Bush. How did these presidents differ in regard to their views on climate control? How did they approach the deficit and taxes differently and/or similarly?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the restructuring of the job market and the disparity between Wall Street and Main Street. How is Wall Street affected differently in a recession? What structural challenges are faced in the labor market today? What do the authors assert needs to be done to repair this disparity?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss OPEC, America's oil consumption, and the impact of the Iraq and Afghan Wars on the American economy. When was OPEC established and how were oil prices affected? How dependent are we on oil from Middle Eastern countries? How does this affect our international trade policies?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)