|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who insisted that his own gravestone be marked with the fact that he had founded the University of Virginia?
(a) Alexander Hamilton.
(b) Benjamin Franklin.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) George Washington.
2. According to the authors, there are six crucial elements to improving the country's educational system. What is the fourth?
(a) Taxpayers willing to support education.
(b) Business leaders committed to raising standards.
(c) Involved parents.
(d) Politicians who support education.
3. According to the author, what train in his Maryland hometown had been under construction for almost a year for modernization?
4. What new type of attorney do the authors assert law firms are adding, as discussed in Chapter 5: "Help Wanted"?
(a) Criminal defense teams.
(b) Copyright investigators.
(c) Chief innovation officers.
(d) Corporate municipal liasons.
5. In the context of United States constitutional interpretation, what is a principle of interpretation that tries to discover the original meaning or intent of the constitution?
6. According to the authors, there are three mindsets when thinking about being a creative creator or a creative server. What is the first?
(a) Think like an artisan.
(b) Think like a waitress.
(c) Think like an immigrant.
(d) Think like a teacher.
7. What is the fourth major challenge that America faces?
(a) How to cope with soaring budget deficits.
(b) How to adjust to the IT revolution.
(c) How to adapt to globalization.
(d) How to manage rising energy consugemption and increasing climate threats.
8. Who saw to it that returning soldiers were given an advantage for serving the country with the institution of the GI Bill of Rights?
(a) Abraham Lincoln.
(b) Harry Truman.
(c) John F. Kennedy.
(d) Richard Nixon.
9. Where in China did Tom Friedman attend the World Economic Forum summer conference?
10. The Cold War came to an end in what year?
11. Where was Tom Friedman at an education conference when a junior high student told him that the Chinese people have more ambition than Americans?
(a) Phoenix, AZ.
(b) Boise, ID.
(c) Portland, OR.
(d) San Jose, CA.
12. When was Martin Dempsey born?
13. What was the DuPont Corporation originally founded to manufacture?
14. According to the authors, what is the first cause for the decline of America?
(a) Leaders have stopped recognizing what America needs to thrive in today's world.
(b) Our political system is paralyzed and ineffective.
(c) Some of the most important matters that are suffering from neglect are education, deficits and dept and climate change.
(d) We have stopped investing in our future.
15. What position has Martin Dempsey held since October, 2011?
(a) Speaker of the House.
(b) Head of Pentagon Security.
(c) Vice President.
(d) Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the authors, Americans have to recognize that when a company moves off-shore or outsources many of its functions, we are not only losing current jobs but also __________.
2. According to the authors, there are three mindsets when thinking about being a creative creator or a creative server. What is the third?
3. What does "IT" stand for?
4. When was Alexander Hamilton born?
5. What word means to give (a person) the right to do or have something; qualify?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)