|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, what words does Sven subliminally embed int he anti-smoking ad he makes for the Academy?
2. What does Heather tell Nick when she calls him back in Chapter 15?
3. What does Nick indignantly argue with the MOD Squad in Chapter 13?
4. What does Jeff Megall send to pick up Nick instead of a Mustang in Chapter 17?
5. Who does Nick find in his office in Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. What deal do Jeff Megall and Nick discuss in Chapter 17?
2. How has Sven improved the anti-underage-smoking campaign in Chapter 13?
3. What issues in Chapter 19 make Nick uneasy about agrees to a deal with Jeff Megall?
4. What does Heather imply to Nick in Chapter 21?
5. Describe the argument the MOD Squad has in Chapter 13.
6. What problem is the Academy having in Asia?
7. How does Nick convince Lady Bent to speak against trade regulations in Chapter 16?
8. Who is Jack Bein?
9. How does the film footage in Chapter 23 look?
10. Why is Nick unable to get counsel from Carlinsky in Chapter 26?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The MOD Squad is a compelling device in the novel. It allows several characters, particularly Nick, to speak honestly about their industry and the world of lobbying in general. Write an essay about the role of the MOD Squad in the novel. How do the three merchants of death relate to each other? What information do they discuss that they could not discuss with the general public? What arguments do they have? Describe each individual relationship within the group.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout most of the novel, the nico-terrorists seem like a credible and immediate danger to Nick Naylor. They turn out, in the end, to be a red herring designed to catalyze Nick's public discrediting. Write an essay about this process int he novel. How are the nico-terrorists introduced? Why are they unsuccessful in killing Nick? How does the reader become aware that their organization is a farce? Sum up the essay by explaining who the terrorists, are.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about cigarettes as a symbol in the novel. How are cigarettes at once an enduring icon in American history and a sort of scapegoat for American excess? What do cigarettes symbolize in Buckley's novel? How does the attitudes and biases surrounding them permeate every aspect of Nick Naylor's life? How do they simultaneously endanger him and save his life in the novel? In summation, discuss whether cigarettes are presented in a largely positive or negative light.
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)