|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What impressive feet does the actress do in footage Nick watches with Jeff Megall in Chapter 23?
2. Why is the Captain in the hospital in Chapter 14?
3. What does Nick indignantly argue with the MOD Squad in Chapter 13?
4. Which of the following characters does not leave a message for Nick while he is having sex with Jeannette in Chapter 21?
5. What were the boxes of condoms what Jeannette kept handing Nick during sex?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the argument the MOD Squad has in Chapter 13.
2. What request does the Captain make of Nick in Chapter 13?
3. How does Nick convince Lady Bent to speak against trade regulations in Chapter 16?
4. What do Allman and Monmaney find that prompts them to arrest Nick in this section?
5. How does Nick convince Lorne Lutch to take the bribe in Chapter 18?
6. Who is Jack Bein?
7. What issues in Chapter 19 make Nick uneasy about agrees to a deal with Jeff Megall?
8. How does the film footage in Chapter 23 look?
9. What problem is the Academy having in Asia?
10. Why is Nick unable to get counsel from Carlinsky in Chapter 26?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In many pieces of literature words are simply the vessels of meaning; not so with Thank You for Smoking. Write an essay on the alternate use of words in the novel. Firstly, how are they used as weapons? Secondly, how are they used to conceal meaning? Discuss which characters are noted as being most effective in using words. How does he or she do so? What does all of this say about the world of politics and lobbying in the modern era?
Essay Topic 2
Although the novel is told from a third-person point-of-view, much of the action is left in a sort of uncertain state. Write an essay about information withheld by the narrator in the novel. What is the purpose of withholding information? How does the omitting of this information place the reader very much in the same situation as Nick Naylor? Is all of this information connected to the main betrayal at the end? Sum up the essay by discussing the importance of the revelations in the final chapters.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the characters of BR and Jeannette. What forewarning does the reader have that these characters are both deceptive and ambitious? Why does Nick fall prey to their lies even though he knows they are not to be trusted? Specifically, what strange actions does each character undertake over the course of the novel that seem unexplainable? How are they eventually explained by the final betrayal of the novel? What do they reveal about them?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)