|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is St. Euthanasius?
2. What does Naylor discover the Captain done for him at the beginning of Chapter 7?
3. With what fictional newspaper does Heather Holloway have an interview coming up in Chapter 12?
4. At the end of Chapter 9, what does Heather say attracts her to Nick?
5. Which lobby is not represented regularly in the MOD Squad lunches?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1, what differences between BR and his predecessor does Naylor note?
2. In Chapter 3, how does BR try to undermine Naylor?
3. How have Naylor's fortunes changed when he returns to the Academy at the beginning of Chapter 7?
4. What issue does Nick have with with Sven Gland's ad campaign in Chapter 7?
5. What does the reader learn about Gazelle in Chapter 7?
6. Why was Nick Naylor fired as a television reporter?
7. Describe the transfixed moment Naylor experiences at the end of Chapter 3.
8. Describe the Captain.
9. How did Bobby Jay Bliss find his way to SAFETY?
10. What fire is Bobby Jay Bliss putting out in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout most of the novel, the nico-terrorists seem like a credible and immediate danger to Nick Naylor. They turn out, in the end, to be a red herring designed to catalyze Nick's public discrediting. Write an essay about this process int he novel. How are the nico-terrorists introduced? Why are they unsuccessful in killing Nick? How does the reader become aware that their organization is a farce? Sum up the essay by explaining who the terrorists, are.
Essay Topic 2
Nick Naylor is a dynamic protagonists who achieves dizzying heights and harrowing lows over the course of the novel. Write an essay on the scope of his rise and fall, dividing it into a first part about his high water mark. What is the greatest level of power that Nick achieves as a lobbyist in the novel? The second part should deal with his deepest low. What betrayals and freak incidents contribute to this precipitous fall? In summation, discuss what Nick learns from these events.
Essay Topic 3
The MOD Squad is a compelling device in the novel. It allows several characters, particularly Nick, to speak honestly about their industry and the world of lobbying in general. Write an essay about the role of the MOD Squad in the novel. How do the three merchants of death relate to each other? What information do they discuss that they could not discuss with the general public? What arguments do they have? Describe each individual relationship within the group.
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)