|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Naylor discover the Captain done for him at the beginning of Chapter 7?
2. With what fictional newspaper does Heather Holloway have an interview coming up in Chapter 12?
3. What news did Naylor accidentally announce on air as a television announcer?
4. What does Naylor accuse people like Ron Goode of in Chapter 5?
5. What is the name of the conference at which Naylor is speaking in the Prologue?
Short Essay Questions
1. How have Naylor's fortunes changed when he returns to the Academy at the beginning of Chapter 7?
2. What bet do Polly and Bobby Jay make at Bert's in Chapter 7?
3. How does Nick fare in the Oprah show?
4. What is the Academy of Tobacco Studies?
5. Describe Budd Rohrabacher.
6. Describe the Captain.
7. What bad news does BR give Naylor at the end of Chapter 4?
8. Why is Nick's Today Show interview in Chapter 12 such a hit?
9. How does Oprah betray Naylor at the beginning of Chapter 5?
10. What ominous assignment does BR give Naylor at the end of Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The world of tobacco in Buckley's novel is divided into two groups: the old-school manufacturers and the slick image men who try to sell the industry to the country. Write a essay about this conflict, focusing on each side individually:
Part 1) The old style of tobacco men is represented most clearly by the character of the Captain. What does the old man value in business? Why does he take to Nick Naylor so fervently? How are his views considered antiquated by the new guard, and how does his death mark the passing of an era?
Part 2) The new style of image and branding is perhaps best represented by the slick, deceptive BR. What does he want to do to change the Academy, and how do these changes jive with the old style of men like the Captain? What kind of support does BR have at the Academy, and how is his power derived almost exclusively from lies and treachery?
Essay Topic 2
The narrative of Thank You for Smoking is peppered with interactions between Nick Naylor and individuals that he wants to encourage to join the push in improving tobacco's image. Write an essay about these interchanges. What does each person have to offer big tobacco? How does Naylor go about convincing individual in question that teaming up with the Academy is a good idea? What compromised ethics are required in this deal?
Part 1) Penelope Dent
Part 2) Jeff Megall
Part 3) Lorne Lutch
Essay Topic 3
The MOD Squad is a compelling device in the novel. It allows several characters, particularly Nick, to speak honestly about their industry and the world of lobbying in general. Write an essay about the role of the MOD Squad in the novel. How do the three merchants of death relate to each other? What information do they discuss that they could not discuss with the general public? What arguments do they have? Describe each individual relationship within the group.
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)