|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which periodical requesting a quote from Nick Naylor in Chapter 1 annoys him?
2. What does Naylor discover the Captain done for him at the beginning of Chapter 7?
3. Why did Polly Bailey move from a Representative's office to the Moderation Council?
4. What word does Naylor use to describe the office's collective attitude toward him in the beginning of Chapter 7?
5. With what fictional newspaper does Heather Holloway have an interview coming up in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the nico-terrorists in Chapter 11 attempt to kill Nick?
2. What is the purpose of Nick Naylor's meeting with Reverend Griggs in Chapter 10?
3. What types of messages does Nick have waiting for him at the Academy in Chapter 7?
4. Describe the Captain.
5. How did Bobby Jay Bliss find his way to SAFETY?
6. Why did Polly Baily join the Moderation Council?
7. How does the Academy respond to the death threat in Chapter 9?
8. In Chapter 1, what differences between BR and his predecessor does Naylor note?
9. What does the reader learn about Gazelle in Chapter 7?
10. What is the MOD Squad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although the novel is told from a third-person point-of-view, much of the action is left in a sort of uncertain state. Write an essay about information withheld by the narrator in the novel. What is the purpose of withholding information? How does the omitting of this information place the reader very much in the same situation as Nick Naylor? Is all of this information connected to the main betrayal at the end? Sum up the essay by discussing the importance of the revelations in the final chapters.
Essay Topic 2
The characters of Thank You for Smoking are almost uniformly compromised, selfish, and deeply callous. Only a few characters attempt to do what is right, and they generally pay a price for it. Write an essay about these good souls. What does each one attempt to do to make things better? How are they invariably foiled in their attempts? Do any of these good hearts succeed in making some form of change in the system? If so, how does this come about?
Part 1) Lorne Lutch
Part 2) Polly Bailey
Part 3) Gomez O'Neal
Essay Topic 3
The narrative of Thank You for Smoking is peppered with interactions between Nick Naylor and individuals that he wants to encourage to join the push in improving tobacco's image. Write an essay about these interchanges. What does each person have to offer big tobacco? How does Naylor go about convincing individual in question that teaming up with the Academy is a good idea? What compromised ethics are required in this deal?
Part 1) Penelope Dent
Part 2) Jeff Megall
Part 3) Lorne Lutch
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)