Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what state is the caller who announces he will kill Nick Naylor in Chapter 8?
2. Which famous public figure recently had a sex scandal explode in the restaurant where Nick meets Heather Holloway in Chapter 9?
3. What drink does the Captain insist Nick Naylor join him in?
4. Which lobby is not represented regularly in the MOD Squad lunches?
5. What does Bobby Jay Bliss and Polly bet on in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Sven improved the anti-underage-smoking campaign in Chapter 13?
2. How does the Academy respond to the death threat in Chapter 9?
3. What is odd about Monmaney and Allman's question is Chapter 14?
4. Why is Nick unable to get counsel from Carlinsky in Chapter 26?
5. What vision does Nick have at the beginning of Chapter 15?
6. Describe the transfixed moment Naylor experiences at the end of Chapter 3.
7. Why is USA Today trying to contact Naylor in Chapter 1?
8. Describe Budd Rohrabacher.
9. Who is Jack Bein?
10. How does Nick fare in the Oprah show?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the characters of BR and Jeannette. What forewarning does the reader have that these characters are both deceptive and ambitious? Why does Nick fall prey to their lies even though he knows they are not to be trusted? Specifically, what strange actions does each character undertake over the course of the novel that seem unexplainable? How are they eventually explained by the final betrayal of the novel? What do they reveal about them?
Essay Topic 2
Christopher Buckley uses a convention in the novel that was popular both with Shakespeare and Dickens where he pointedly gives his character's names that obviously reflect their nature. Write an essay in which you choose three characters for whom this is the case. What essential part of each character does his or her name reflect? Does the name act as a forewarning about the character to the reader or does the name's meaning only become clear after the fact?
Essay Topic 3
Buckley uses setting in Thank You for Smoking to show the different fiefdoms created by powerful industries in America. Write an essay about the three most prevalent locations in the novel. What industry does the reader associate with each setting? How does this industry permeate every aspect of this setting? What characters are most dominant in each city, and how do they affect their surroundings in a palpable way?
Part 1) Washington, DC
Part 2) Los Angeles
Part 3) Winston-Salem
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)