|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What popular television show is Naylor invited on in Chapter 3?
2. Which of the following is an aspect that makes Polly Bailey particularly attractive?
3. In Chapter 12, what do the two D.C. policeman think Nick is?
4. What is St. Euthanasius?
5. What two talking points does Naylor cite in Chapter 1's call to a dubious periodical?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Budd Rohrabacher.
2. How do the nico-terrorists in Chapter 11 attempt to kill Nick?
3. Describe the Captain.
4. In Chapter 3, how does BR try to undermine Naylor?
5. What fire is Bobby Jay Bliss putting out in Chapter 2?
6. Why did Polly Baily join the Moderation Council?
7. Why was Nick Naylor fired as a television reporter?
8. What is the MOD Squad?
9. How does Nick Naylor defend his position at Clean Lungs 2000?
10. Describe the history of cigarettes as related by Nick Naylor in Chapter 4.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Christopher Buckley uses a convention in the novel that was popular both with Shakespeare and Dickens where he pointedly gives his character's names that obviously reflect their nature. Write an essay in which you choose three characters for whom this is the case. What essential part of each character does his or her name reflect? Does the name act as a forewarning about the character to the reader or does the name's meaning only become clear after the fact?
Essay Topic 2
The characters of Thank You for Smoking are almost uniformly compromised, selfish, and deeply callous. Only a few characters attempt to do what is right, and they generally pay a price for it. Write an essay about these good souls. What does each one attempt to do to make things better? How are they invariably foiled in their attempts? Do any of these good hearts succeed in making some form of change in the system? If so, how does this come about?
Part 1) Lorne Lutch
Part 2) Polly Bailey
Part 3) Gomez O'Neal
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the Academy of Tobacco Studies. Begin by analyzing its name, how it is itself an act of brazen deception. Who founds the Academy, and what historical event in the late 1950's precipitates its founding? At the beginning of the novel, what is the public perception of the Academy and Nick as a representative of it? In summation, discuss how the Academy serves as a symbol for all lobbyists in the novel.
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)