|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what state is the caller who announces he will kill Nick Naylor in Chapter 8?
2. Which famous public figure recently had a sex scandal explode in the restaurant where Nick meets Heather Holloway in Chapter 9?
3. What drink does the Captain insist Nick Naylor join him in?
4. Which lobby is not represented regularly in the MOD Squad lunches?
5. What does Bobby Jay Bliss and Polly bet on in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Sven improved the anti-underage-smoking campaign in Chapter 13?
2. How does the Academy respond to the death threat in Chapter 9?
3. What is odd about Monmaney and Allman's question is Chapter 14?
4. Why is Nick unable to get counsel from Carlinsky in Chapter 26?
5. What vision does Nick have at the beginning of Chapter 15?
6. Describe the transfixed moment Naylor experiences at the end of Chapter 3.
7. Why is USA Today trying to contact Naylor in Chapter 1?
8. Describe Budd Rohrabacher.
9. Who is Jack Bein?
10. How does Nick fare in the Oprah show?
Essay Topic 1
Nick Naylor is portrayed in the novel as a man who is consistently marginalized by society not because of race or beliefs, but because he has allied himself with a deeply unpopular entity. Write an essay about this marginalization in three parts:
Part 1) How does the Prologue of the novel express the omnipresent antipathy Nick Naylor faces in life? What does society at large dislike about what he does? How has Nick adapted to this antipathy? What defenses has he developed?
Part 2) Discuss the relationship that exists among the members of the MOD Squad in the novel. What do the three of them discuss when they meet for lunch? What do they understand about each other's life that most of society cannot?
Part 3) Describe the public attitude that surround's Nick's work, and how this attitude lends credence to the abduction and attempted murder. Are death threats a regular part of Nick Naylor's life? What precautions does the Academy take regarding these omnipresent fears?
Essay Topic 2
In many pieces of literature words are simply the vessels of meaning; not so with Thank You for Smoking. Write an essay on the alternate use of words in the novel. Firstly, how are they used as weapons? Secondly, how are they used to conceal meaning? Discuss which characters are noted as being most effective in using words. How does he or she do so? What does all of this say about the world of politics and lobbying in the modern era?
Essay Topic 3
The MOD Squad is a compelling device in the novel. It allows several characters, particularly Nick, to speak honestly about their industry and the world of lobbying in general. Write an essay about the role of the MOD Squad in the novel. How do the three merchants of death relate to each other? What information do they discuss that they could not discuss with the general public? What arguments do they have? Describe each individual relationship within the group.
This section contains 2,854 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)