|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is written on the sign the nico-terrorist put on Nick in Chapter 12?
2. In Chapter 2, what contention does the shooting survivor Bliss interviews make?
3. From what state is the caller who announces he will kill Nick Naylor in Chapter 8?
4. What fictional newspaper does Heather Holloway work for?
5. Which periodical requesting a quote from Nick Naylor in Chapter 1 annoys him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Academy respond to the death threat in Chapter 9?
2. How does Nick Naylor defend his position at Clean Lungs 2000?
3. How does Heather portray Nick in her article?
4. How does Nick's meeting with Heather Holloway end in Chapter 9?
5. Why is USA Today trying to contact Naylor in Chapter 1?
6. How do the nico-terrorists in Chapter 11 attempt to kill Nick?
7. Why does Nick survive the attempt on his life by the nico-terrorists?
8. How does Oprah betray Naylor at the beginning of Chapter 5?
9. How does Nick fare in the Oprah show?
10. What fire is Bobby Jay Bliss putting out in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The MOD Squad is a compelling device in the novel. It allows several characters, particularly Nick, to speak honestly about their industry and the world of lobbying in general. Write an essay about the role of the MOD Squad in the novel. How do the three merchants of death relate to each other? What information do they discuss that they could not discuss with the general public? What arguments do they have? Describe each individual relationship within the group.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the Academy of Tobacco Studies. Begin by analyzing its name, how it is itself an act of brazen deception. Who founds the Academy, and what historical event in the late 1950's precipitates its founding? At the beginning of the novel, what is the public perception of the Academy and Nick as a representative of it? In summation, discuss how the Academy serves as a symbol for all lobbyists in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Nick Naylor is a dynamic protagonists who achieves dizzying heights and harrowing lows over the course of the novel. Write an essay on the scope of his rise and fall, dividing it into a first part about his high water mark. What is the greatest level of power that Nick achieves as a lobbyist in the novel? The second part should deal with his deepest low. What betrayals and freak incidents contribute to this precipitous fall? In summation, discuss what Nick learns from these events.
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)