|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does B.R. give Naylor to come up with a new media plan for the Academy?
2. Where does the Captain recommend Nick go as soon as possible in Chapter 9?
3. What does Naylor accuse people like Ron Goode of in Chapter 5?
4. What event prompted Bliss to join the military in the 1960's?
5. What plan does the Captain tell Naylor that BR has come up with in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nick survive the attempt on his life by the nico-terrorists?
2. Why is Nick's Today Show interview in Chapter 12 such a hit?
3. How is Nick taken hostage in Chapter 11?
4. What does the reader learn about Gazelle in Chapter 7?
5. What is the Academy of Tobacco Studies?
6. What is the MOD Squad?
7. What bad news does BR give Naylor at the end of Chapter 4?
8. How does Heather portray Nick in her article?
9. What is the purpose of Nick Naylor's meeting with Reverend Griggs in Chapter 10?
10. What types of messages does Nick have waiting for him at the Academy in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thank You for Smoking is in many respects a satire on the nanny-state that developed in America in the mid-1990's. Write an essay about how the efforts of the "gaspers" reflect the domestic policies of the Clinton years. How are characters like Senator Finisterre and Gordon Craighead portrayed in the novel? Are they protecting Americans, in Buckley's opinion, or curtailing their freedoms? What was happening in America at the time that this novel was published that is reflected in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the Academy of Tobacco Studies. Begin by analyzing its name, how it is itself an act of brazen deception. Who founds the Academy, and what historical event in the late 1950's precipitates its founding? At the beginning of the novel, what is the public perception of the Academy and Nick as a representative of it? In summation, discuss how the Academy serves as a symbol for all lobbyists in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The MOD Squad is a compelling device in the novel. It allows several characters, particularly Nick, to speak honestly about their industry and the world of lobbying in general. Write an essay about the role of the MOD Squad in the novel. How do the three merchants of death relate to each other? What information do they discuss that they could not discuss with the general public? What arguments do they have? Describe each individual relationship within the group.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)