|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the MOD Squad regularly sneak Nick in Chapter 12?
2. What is found in the mad shooter's car in at the end of Chapter 2?
3. In Chapter 5, who is Naylor is seated onstage next?
4. What event prompted Bliss to join the military in the 1960's?
5. Which coworker comes to Naylor's office with overly-excited praise in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the history of cigarettes as related by Nick Naylor in Chapter 4.
2. What ominous assignment does BR give Naylor at the end of Chapter 1?
3. How is Nick's Larry King interview interrupted with some shocking news?
4. Why is Nick's Today Show interview in Chapter 12 such a hit?
5. What is the MOD Squad?
6. Describe Budd Rohrabacher.
7. Why did Polly Baily join the Moderation Council?
8. In Chapter 3, how does BR try to undermine Naylor?
9. What bad news does BR give Naylor at the end of Chapter 4?
10. What is the Academy of Tobacco Studies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the Academy of Tobacco Studies. Begin by analyzing its name, how it is itself an act of brazen deception. Who founds the Academy, and what historical event in the late 1950's precipitates its founding? At the beginning of the novel, what is the public perception of the Academy and Nick as a representative of it? In summation, discuss how the Academy serves as a symbol for all lobbyists in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Nick Naylor is a dynamic protagonists who achieves dizzying heights and harrowing lows over the course of the novel. Write an essay on the scope of his rise and fall, dividing it into a first part about his high water mark. What is the greatest level of power that Nick achieves as a lobbyist in the novel? The second part should deal with his deepest low. What betrayals and freak incidents contribute to this precipitous fall? In summation, discuss what Nick learns from these events.
Essay Topic 3
The MOD Squad is a compelling device in the novel. It allows several characters, particularly Nick, to speak honestly about their industry and the world of lobbying in general. Write an essay about the role of the MOD Squad in the novel. How do the three merchants of death relate to each other? What information do they discuss that they could not discuss with the general public? What arguments do they have? Describe each individual relationship within the group.
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)