Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what state is the caller who announces he will kill Nick Naylor in Chapter 8?
2. Which famous public figure recently had a sex scandal explode in the restaurant where Nick meets Heather Holloway in Chapter 9?
3. What drink does the Captain insist Nick Naylor join him in?
4. Which lobby is not represented regularly in the MOD Squad lunches?
5. What does Bobby Jay Bliss and Polly bet on in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Sven improved the anti-underage-smoking campaign in Chapter 13?
2. How does the Academy respond to the death threat in Chapter 9?
3. What is odd about Monmaney and Allman's question is Chapter 14?
4. Why is Nick unable to get counsel from Carlinsky in Chapter 26?
5. What vision does Nick have at the beginning of Chapter 15?
6. Describe the transfixed moment Naylor experiences at the end of Chapter 3.
7. Why is USA Today trying to contact Naylor in Chapter 1?
8. Describe Budd Rohrabacher.
9. Who is Jack Bein?
10. How does Nick fare in the Oprah show?
Essay Topic 1
The characters of Thank You for Smoking are almost uniformly compromised, selfish, and deeply callous. Only a few characters attempt to do what is right, and they generally pay a price for it. Write an essay about these good souls. What does each one attempt to do to make things better? How are they invariably foiled in their attempts? Do any of these good hearts succeed in making some form of change in the system? If so, how does this come about?
Part 1) Lorne Lutch
Part 2) Polly Bailey
Part 3) Gomez O'Neal
Essay Topic 2
Nick Naylor is a dynamic protagonists who achieves dizzying heights and harrowing lows over the course of the novel. Write an essay on the scope of his rise and fall, dividing it into a first part about his high water mark. What is the greatest level of power that Nick achieves as a lobbyist in the novel? The second part should deal with his deepest low. What betrayals and freak incidents contribute to this precipitous fall? In summation, discuss what Nick learns from these events.
Essay Topic 3
The MOD Squad is a compelling device in the novel. It allows several characters, particularly Nick, to speak honestly about their industry and the world of lobbying in general. Write an essay about the role of the MOD Squad in the novel. How do the three merchants of death relate to each other? What information do they discuss that they could not discuss with the general public? What arguments do they have? Describe each individual relationship within the group.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)