|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many slaves do Persifier and Tessa Mae give to Sett and Lissa when they leave for Texas?
2. Comanche Chief _____________ holds a war council and decides to attack the settlement in #124.
3. Whom does Ransom Rusk marry in Larkin?
4. Peavine is chased out of the county because he is a troublemaker, but he returns and kills a _______________ named Parmenteer.
5. The group that Otto now belongs to is called ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the first residents of Fort Sam Garner and why do they want to develop a town?
2. How did the U.S. troops finally get the Indians to move to the reservation?
3. When does the Ku Klux Klan appear in Larkin County and which groups of people are most affected by their presence?
4. Who is named the first U.S. Indian Agent?
5. Why do so many people seem to move to Texas between 1928 and 1968? Who are two famous political men who came from Texas?
6. What years did the Mexican War take place and why is there such lingering hatred between the Texans and Mexicans at this time?
7. How did the Indians feel about President Polk's Peace Policy?
8. Why do Todd and Maggie Morrison move to Texas and how successful are they at adapting?
9. What role does slavery play in Texas prior to the Civil War?
10. How does Yancey come to own the ten thousand acres owned by the Garza women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of religion--especially Catholicism--on the Texas prairie. Was there an increase in religious life because just living on the prairie was such a trying experience? What were the primary religions represented on the Texas frontier?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the influx of immigrants to the Texas frontier. For what reasons did they leave their homes? What special challenges did they experience in homesteading in Texas that Americans did not experience? How readily accepted were the immigrants by the established settlers in Texas?
Essay Topic 3
Name at least three environmental catastrophes that plagued the Texas homesteaders. Then cite the reasons why each catastrophe was so devastating to the settlers. If there were any preventative measures employed by the settlers, state those also in your answer.
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)