|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Yancey Quimper acquires control of which type of business?
2. The colonel assigned to Fort Sam Garner and his men rescue _________________ who had been captured by the Indians.
3. Which Indians were responsible for mass burning and killing at San Antonio?
4. Where does R.J. Poteet take horses and cattle for shipment to the East?
5. The man, who was caught in 1961 trying to illegally cross the border, manages to cross the U.S. Border again and lives in which Texas community?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name at least three environmental catastrophes that plagued the Texas homesteaders. Then cite the reasons why each catastrophe was so devastating to the settlers. If there were any preventative measures employed by the settlers, state those also in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Conflict takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of much of the conflict? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the value that Michener's book has for preserving the heritage and culture of Texas. What value does it have for historians and students today? What value will you take away from this literary experience? Explain.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)