|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Klan whips a man named __________________, he visits Floyd Rusk the next day.
2. Who kills Benito Garza during a raid on his ranch in Mexico?
3. Why does Yancey Quimper withdraw from the political race?
4. The colonel assigned to Fort Sam Garner and his men rescue _________________ who had been captured by the Indians.
5. Black men in the army unit are known as __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does General Santa Anna deceive the U.S. government through a deal with the Polk administration?
2. Why do the Cobb women not tell their slaves about the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation in 1863?
3. What year is it in Chapter XII and what is the composition of Texas rural areas to city areas?
4. Who is Kimbro and what unlikely partnership does he enter into with Floyd Rusk?
5. Who is R.J. Poteet and what role does he play in the new town?
6. Why does Laurel Cobb have to face trial within the church?
7. What is Benito Garza's opinion of the Mexican War and why would he feel this way?
8. What law enforcement group does Otto join and whom is he supposed to capture?
9. What role does slavery play in Texas prior to the Civil War?
10. What was the purpose of the Peace Policy instituted by President Polk in 1869?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Personal identity is an important theme in this book. Who were some of the people who had the strongest personalities? What were their personal codes? Which person in the book would you look up to? Who did you think was less exemplary in character? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of General Santa Anna. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
Essay Topic 3
What positions, other than wife and mother, did most Texas prairie women hold? What was expected of a prairie woman by others? What expectations did she place on herself? Explain.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)