|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Somersett Cobb is running against Yancey Quimper for which political office?
2. How many children does the man in #159 have?
3. Earnshaw dies from complications following ____________________.
4. Which states does President Polk want to buy from Mexico to add them to the union?
5. Captain George Reed is sent to erect a fort which is then named _______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the purpose of the Peace Policy instituted by President Polk in 1869?
2. How does Yancey come to own the ten thousand acres owned by the Garza women?
3. What would account for the brutality of the Texans during the Mexican War?
4. Explain the situation of illegal alien Eloy Muzquiz and his attempts to immigrate to Texas.
5. Who is R.J. Poteet and what role does he play in the new town?
6. What law enforcement group does Otto join and whom is he supposed to capture?
7. Why does the Republic of Texas come to an end and on what date does that occur?
8. Why do the Cobb women not tell their slaves about the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation in 1863?
9. What time period does Chapter VII cover?
10. How did the U.S. troops finally get the Indians to move to the reservation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Texas cowboys and cattle drives had a lasting impression on American culture yet they were active for only about a 20-year period. What was the purpose of a cattle drive? How was a cattle drive structured? Who were the personnel included on a cattle drive? What were the advantages and disadvantages of cattle drives to the Texas settlers?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of religion--especially Catholicism--on the Texas prairie. Was there an increase in religious life because just living on the prairie was such a trying experience? What were the primary religions represented on the Texas frontier?
Essay Topic 3
Personal identity is an important theme in this book. Who were some of the people who had the strongest personalities? What were their personal codes? Which person in the book would you look up to? Who did you think was less exemplary in character? Explain.
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)