|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Laurel Cobb's wife?
2. Yancey gives himself the military title of __________________.
3. Otto learns that Franza's brother has been trying to negotiate peace with the _________________ Indians.
4. Which of the following is NOT in the same unit serving under General Lee?
5. What happens to the Germans at Fredericksbug who can't support the Civil War?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do new Texas residents like Persifier and Somerset Cobb decide to side with the South in the Civil War?
2. Explain the situation of illegal alien Eloy Muzquiz and his attempts to immigrate to Texas.
3. What time period does Chapter VII cover?
4. Why do Todd and Maggie Morrison move to Texas and how successful are they at adapting?
5. How did the Indians feel about President Polk's Peace Policy?
6. What year is it in Chapter XII and what is the composition of Texas rural areas to city areas?
7. Who is Kimbro and what unlikely partnership does he enter into with Floyd Rusk?
8. What role does slavery play in Texas prior to the Civil War?
9. What was the purpose of the Peace Policy instituted by President Polk in 1869?
10. What years did the Mexican War take place and why is there such lingering hatred between the Texans and Mexicans at this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how a Texas frontier town was established. Where was it most likely to be located? What were the typical establishments in a frontier town? Why were frontier towns so volatile?
Essay Topic 2
Explain some of the examples of regionalism found in the book. Can regionalism include more than accents and food? What else encompasses the culture and personality of a region?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the drive it took to be a Texas homesteader. What did it require? Who were the best candidates for homesteading?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)