|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Peavine is chased out of the county because he is a troublemaker, but he returns and kills a _______________ named Parmenteer.
2. What do Laurel and his wife open in Waxahachie?
3. How do the army troops force the Indians to surrender and move to the reservations?
4. Texans Cactus John Garner and ____________________ both become Speakers of the House.
5. What does Santa Anna do with the money given to him by the U.S. government?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the purpose of the Peace Policy instituted by President Polk in 1869?
2. What time period does Chapter VII cover?
3. What years did the Mexican War take place and why is there such lingering hatred between the Texans and Mexicans at this time?
4. Why does the Republic of Texas come to an end and on what date does that occur?
5. Why do the Cobb women not tell their slaves about the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation in 1863?
6. What role does slavery play in Texas prior to the Civil War?
7. Why does Laurel Cobb have to face trial within the church?
8. Why does the speaker at the Task Force meeting think that Texas was greatly influenced by the South?
9. Who is R.J. Poteet and what role does he play in the new town?
10. Who is named the first U.S. Indian Agent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the process of breaking ground and planting crops. Which crops were experimented with by the homesteaders? Which crops became the staples for Texas homesteaders? Are those crops the primary crops for Texas yet today?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the drive it took to be a Texas homesteader. What did it require? Who were the best candidates for homesteading?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how a Texas frontier town was established. Where was it most likely to be located? What were the typical establishments in a frontier town? Why were frontier towns so volatile?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)