|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Todd Morrison becomes a multimillionaire in which industry?
2. What does Earnshaw Rust's wife do?
3. Why does Beth Morrison have problems in school in Texas?
4. The man, who was caught in 1961 trying to illegally cross the border, manages to cross the U.S. Border again and lives in which Texas community?
5. The capital of Texas moved to _____________ in 1839.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Yancey come to own the ten thousand acres owned by the Garza women?
2. Who are the first residents of Fort Sam Garner and why do they want to develop a town?
3. How do Agent Talbot's feelings about Muzquiz' immigration different from how he feels about El Lobo?
4. What responsibilities does Earnshaw assume for the town and what is it eventually named?
5. Who is R.J. Poteet and what role does he play in the new town?
6. How did the Indians feel about President Polk's Peace Policy?
7. Why do so many people seem to move to Texas between 1928 and 1968? Who are two famous political men who came from Texas?
8. Why does the Republic of Texas come to an end and on what date does that occur?
9. What role does slavery play in Texas prior to the Civil War?
10. Why does the speaker at the Task Force meeting think that Texas was greatly influenced by the South?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who was your favorite fictional character in the book? Why? Who was your favorite nonfiction person in the book? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the value that Michener's book has for preserving the heritage and culture of Texas. What value does it have for historians and students today? What value will you take away from this literary experience? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the drive it took to be a Texas homesteader. What did it require? Who were the best candidates for homesteading?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)