|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Peavine is chased out of the county because he is a troublemaker, but he returns and kills a _______________ named Parmenteer.
2. Texans Cactus John Garner and ____________________ both become Speakers of the House.
3. Comanche Chief _____________ holds a war council and decides to attack the settlement in #124.
4. In Chapter XII, what is the largest city in Texas?
5. The slave named _________________ sells cotton in Mexico and receives a letter of credit with which he buys land.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Republic of Texas come to an end and on what date does that occur?
2. Who is named the first U.S. Indian Agent?
3. How does General Santa Anna deceive the U.S. government through a deal with the Polk administration?
4. Who is Kimbro and what unlikely partnership does he enter into with Floyd Rusk?
5. What was the purpose of the Peace Policy instituted by President Polk in 1869?
6. Why does the speaker at the Task Force meeting think that Texas was greatly influenced by the South?
7. What years did the Mexican War take place and why is there such lingering hatred between the Texans and Mexicans at this time?
8. Why does Laurel Cobb have to face trial within the church?
9. Who is R.J. Poteet and what role does he play in the new town?
10. How did the U.S. troops finally get the Indians to move to the reservation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the influx of immigrants to the Texas frontier. For what reasons did they leave their homes? What special challenges did they experience in homesteading in Texas that Americans did not experience? How readily accepted were the immigrants by the established settlers in Texas?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the value that Michener's book has for preserving the heritage and culture of Texas. What value does it have for historians and students today? What value will you take away from this literary experience? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Why were social visits so welcome among the Texas homesteaders? What was the nature of a typical social call from one family on another? What were some of the social events held so that groups of homesteaders could meet and form friendships? What were the usual activities that would occur at these events?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)