|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hector Garza lives in an area where ________________ of the population is Hispanic.
2. Yancey Quimper acquires control of which type of business?
3. With whom does Otto decide to work together?
4. The Larkins are _________________ who move onto Comanche land.
5. Yancey leads a movement to make ________________ a slave state.
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does slavery play in Texas prior to the Civil War?
2. What is Benito Garza's opinion of the Mexican War and why would he feel this way?
3. What was the purpose of the Peace Policy instituted by President Polk in 1869?
4. What years did the Mexican War take place and why is there such lingering hatred between the Texans and Mexicans at this time?
5. Who is R.J. Poteet and what role does he play in the new town?
6. Who are the first residents of Fort Sam Garner and why do they want to develop a town?
7. Why does Laurel Cobb have to face trial within the church?
8. How does General Santa Anna deceive the U.S. government through a deal with the Polk administration?
9. Why does the speaker at the Task Force meeting think that Texas was greatly influenced by the South?
10. Why do so many people seem to move to Texas between 1928 and 1968? Who are two famous political men who came from Texas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Personal identity is an important theme in this book. Who were some of the people who had the strongest personalities? What were their personal codes? Which person in the book would you look up to? Who did you think was less exemplary in character? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the process of breaking ground and planting crops. Which crops were experimented with by the homesteaders? Which crops became the staples for Texas homesteaders? Are those crops the primary crops for Texas yet today?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)