|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The slave named _________________ sells cotton in Mexico and receives a letter of credit with which he buys land.
2. Why does Laurel face trial within his church?
3. Who was the U.S. Border Patrol agent who caught the man illegally crossing the border in 1961?
4. The Rust settlement gives the remaining Comanches permission to hunt ________________.
5. Comanche Chief _____________ holds a war council and decides to attack the settlement in #124.
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Agent Talbot's feelings about Muzquiz' immigration different from how he feels about El Lobo?
2. Why do the Cobb women not tell their slaves about the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation in 1863?
3. How do Earnshaw and Emma go about building a town?
4. Why do so many people seem to move to Texas between 1928 and 1968? Who are two famous political men who came from Texas?
5. How did the Indians feel about President Polk's Peace Policy?
6. What is Benito Garza's opinion of the Mexican War and why would he feel this way?
7. What years did the Mexican War take place and why is there such lingering hatred between the Texans and Mexicans at this time?
8. Why does the Republic of Texas come to an end and on what date does that occur?
9. Who is R.J. Poteet and what role does he play in the new town?
10. Why do Todd and Maggie Morrison move to Texas and how successful are they at adapting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how a Texas frontier town was established. Where was it most likely to be located? What were the typical establishments in a frontier town? Why were frontier towns so volatile?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the process of breaking ground and planting crops. Which crops were experimented with by the homesteaders? Which crops became the staples for Texas homesteaders? Are those crops the primary crops for Texas yet today?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the drive it took to be a Texas homesteader. What did it require? Who were the best candidates for homesteading?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)