|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The slave named _________________ sells cotton in Mexico and receives a letter of credit with which he buys land.
2. Peavine is chased out of the county because he is a troublemaker, but he returns and kills a _______________ named Parmenteer.
3. Santa Anna promises to end the war if the U.S. government would give him one half million dollars in gold and transport him to _________________.
4. Who is one of the Ku Klux Klan leaders in Larkin County?
5. Where does R.J. Poteet take horses and cattle for shipment to the East?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does slavery play in Texas prior to the Civil War?
2. What year is it in Chapter XII and what is the composition of Texas rural areas to city areas?
3. Why do the Cobb women not tell their slaves about the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation in 1863?
4. How do Earnshaw and Emma go about building a town?
5. Who is named the first U.S. Indian Agent?
6. Why does the Republic of Texas come to an end and on what date does that occur?
7. What is Benito Garza's opinion of the Mexican War and why would he feel this way?
8. Who is Kimbro and what unlikely partnership does he enter into with Floyd Rusk?
9. Why do Todd and Maggie Morrison move to Texas and how successful are they at adapting?
10. Why do so many people seem to move to Texas between 1928 and 1968? Who are two famous political men who came from Texas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of religion--especially Catholicism--on the Texas prairie. Was there an increase in religious life because just living on the prairie was such a trying experience? What were the primary religions represented on the Texas frontier?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the reasons for the Texas Revolution in 1836. Why was it an overwhelming loss for Texas? Who were some of the major figures fighting for Texas in the Revolution? Is their legacy worth their struggles?
Essay Topic 3
Personal identity is an important theme in this book. Who were some of the people who had the strongest personalities? What were their personal codes? Which person in the book would you look up to? Who did you think was less exemplary in character? Explain.
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)