|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Somersett Cobb is running against Yancey Quimper for which political office?
2. Ransom Rusk's lawn is torn up by which animals?
3. The Texas War for Independence ends with Santa Anna ______________________.
4. Who was the U.S. Border Patrol agent who caught the man illegally crossing the border in 1961?
5. How do the army troops force the Indians to surrender and move to the reservations?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Earnshaw and Emma go about building a town?
2. Explain the situation of illegal alien Eloy Muzquiz and his attempts to immigrate to Texas.
3. What years did the Mexican War take place and why is there such lingering hatred between the Texans and Mexicans at this time?
4. What is Benito Garza's opinion of the Mexican War and why would he feel this way?
5. Why do the Cobb women not tell their slaves about the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation in 1863?
6. Who is Kimbro and what unlikely partnership does he enter into with Floyd Rusk?
7. How do Agent Talbot's feelings about Muzquiz' immigration different from how he feels about El Lobo?
8. Why do new Texas residents like Persifier and Somerset Cobb decide to side with the South in the Civil War?
9. How did the U.S. troops finally get the Indians to move to the reservation?
10. Why do so many people seem to move to Texas between 1928 and 1968? Who are two famous political men who came from Texas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of religion--especially Catholicism--on the Texas prairie. Was there an increase in religious life because just living on the prairie was such a trying experience? What were the primary religions represented on the Texas frontier?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the value that Michener's book has for preserving the heritage and culture of Texas. What value does it have for historians and students today? What value will you take away from this literary experience? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)