|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Texan becomes both Vice President and President of the United States?
2. Colonel Persifier ______________ decides to leave the army after the Mexican War.
3. Why does Yancey Quimper withdraw from the political race?
4. Soon after Texas becomes a state, the ____________________ occurs from 1846-1848.
5. How old is Otto in Chapter VII?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the situation of illegal alien Eloy Muzquiz and his attempts to immigrate to Texas.
2. What years did the Mexican War take place and why is there such lingering hatred between the Texans and Mexicans at this time?
3. How does General Santa Anna deceive the U.S. government through a deal with the Polk administration?
4. Why do the Cobb women not tell their slaves about the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation in 1863?
5. What was the purpose of the Peace Policy instituted by President Polk in 1869?
6. Who is Kimbro and what unlikely partnership does he enter into with Floyd Rusk?
7. Why do so many people seem to move to Texas between 1928 and 1968? Who are two famous political men who came from Texas?
8. Why does Laurel Cobb have to face trial within the church?
9. Who are the first residents of Fort Sam Garner and why do they want to develop a town?
10. What responsibilities does Earnshaw assume for the town and what is it eventually named?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply TEXAS? What was he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the influx of immigrants to the Texas frontier. For what reasons did they leave their homes? What special challenges did they experience in homesteading in Texas that Americans did not experience? How readily accepted were the immigrants by the established settlers in Texas?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the drive it took to be a Texas homesteader. What did it require? Who were the best candidates for homesteading?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)