|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Klan whips a man named __________________, he visits Floyd Rusk the next day.
2. The slave named _________________ sells cotton in Mexico and receives a letter of credit with which he buys land.
3. Which family is the first to move into one of the abandoned houses at the fort to make a town?
4. How many children does the man in #159 have?
5. The capital of Texas moved to _____________ in 1839.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the situation of illegal alien Eloy Muzquiz and his attempts to immigrate to Texas.
2. What is Benito Garza's opinion of the Mexican War and why would he feel this way?
3. How does General Santa Anna deceive the U.S. government through a deal with the Polk administration?
4. How did the Indians feel about President Polk's Peace Policy?
5. What years did the Mexican War take place and why is there such lingering hatred between the Texans and Mexicans at this time?
6. What role does slavery play in Texas prior to the Civil War?
7. Who are the first residents of Fort Sam Garner and why do they want to develop a town?
8. What was the purpose of the Peace Policy instituted by President Polk in 1869?
9. What year is it in Chapter XII and what is the composition of Texas rural areas to city areas?
10. Why does the Republic of Texas come to an end and on what date does that occur?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Personal identity is an important theme in this book. Who were some of the people who had the strongest personalities? What were their personal codes? Which person in the book would you look up to? Who did you think was less exemplary in character? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the influx of immigrants to the Texas frontier. For what reasons did they leave their homes? What special challenges did they experience in homesteading in Texas that Americans did not experience? How readily accepted were the immigrants by the established settlers in Texas?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Lyndon Johnson. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)