|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Otto in Chapter VII?
2. What is the nickname for Maria de la Luz?
3. Peavine is chased out of the county because he is a troublemaker, but he returns and kills a _______________ named Parmenteer.
4. Which one of the Allerkamp daughters does Otto McNab marry?
5. Which of the following groups is NOT welcome in Larkin County after the arrival of the Ku Klux Klan?
Essay Topic 1
Conflict takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of much of the conflict? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Why were social visits so welcome among the Texas homesteaders? What was the nature of a typical social call from one family on another? What were some of the social events held so that groups of homesteaders could meet and form friendships? What were the usual activities that would occur at these events?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the value that Michener's book has for preserving the heritage and culture of Texas. What value does it have for historians and students today? What value will you take away from this literary experience? Explain.
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)