|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Texans Cactus John Garner and ____________________ both become Speakers of the House.
2. Soon after Texas becomes a state, the ____________________ occurs from 1846-1848.
3. Otto learns that Franza's brother has been trying to negotiate peace with the _________________ Indians.
4. What do Laurel and his wife open in Waxahachie?
5. What does Earnshaw Rust's wife do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Earnshaw and Emma go about building a town?
2. Why do the Cobb women not tell their slaves about the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation in 1863?
3. What is Benito Garza's opinion of the Mexican War and why would he feel this way?
4. Why does the Republic of Texas come to an end and on what date does that occur?
5. When does the Ku Klux Klan appear in Larkin County and which groups of people are most affected by their presence?
6. What years did the Mexican War take place and why is there such lingering hatred between the Texans and Mexicans at this time?
7. Who is R.J. Poteet and what role does he play in the new town?
8. Why do new Texas residents like Persifier and Somerset Cobb decide to side with the South in the Civil War?
9. Why does Laurel Cobb have to face trial within the church?
10. What year is it in Chapter XII and what is the composition of Texas rural areas to city areas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain some of the examples of regionalism found in the book. Can regionalism include more than accents and food? What else encompasses the culture and personality of a region?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of General Santa Anna. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)