|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Indians were responsible for mass burning and killing at San Antonio?
2. What is the nickname for Maria de la Luz?
3. Which one of the Allerkamp daughters does Otto McNab marry?
4. Colonel ___________________ is assigned to Fort Sam Garner and leads several raids against the Comanche Indians.
5. Soon after Texas becomes a state, the ____________________ occurs from 1846-1848.
Short Essay Questions
1. What time period does Chapter VII cover?
2. What is Benito Garza's opinion of the Mexican War and why would he feel this way?
3. Why do Todd and Maggie Morrison move to Texas and how successful are they at adapting?
4. Who is named the first U.S. Indian Agent?
5. What responsibilities does Earnshaw assume for the town and what is it eventually named?
6. Who is R.J. Poteet and what role does he play in the new town?
7. Why do new Texas residents like Persifier and Somerset Cobb decide to side with the South in the Civil War?
8. What would account for the brutality of the Texans during the Mexican War?
9. What law enforcement group does Otto join and whom is he supposed to capture?
10. How did the U.S. troops finally get the Indians to move to the reservation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the process of breaking ground and planting crops. Which crops were experimented with by the homesteaders? Which crops became the staples for Texas homesteaders? Are those crops the primary crops for Texas yet today?
Essay Topic 2
Name at least three environmental catastrophes that plagued the Texas homesteaders. Then cite the reasons why each catastrophe was so devastating to the settlers. If there were any preventative measures employed by the settlers, state those also in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Who was your favorite fictional character in the book? Why? Who was your favorite nonfiction person in the book? Why?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)