|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Mexican army retreats after a few battles at ___________________.
2. Black men in the army unit are known as __________________.
3. A black man and Floyd Rusk go into the _____________ business together.
4. Why does Sam Houston resign as governor of Texas?
5. Who is Laurel Cobb's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What time period does Chapter VII cover?
2. Who is named the first U.S. Indian Agent?
3. Why does Laurel Cobb have to face trial within the church?
4. What law enforcement group does Otto join and whom is he supposed to capture?
5. How do Earnshaw and Emma go about building a town?
6. How do Agent Talbot's feelings about Muzquiz' immigration different from how he feels about El Lobo?
7. What years did the Mexican War take place and why is there such lingering hatred between the Texans and Mexicans at this time?
8. Who is R.J. Poteet and what role does he play in the new town?
9. What is Benito Garza's opinion of the Mexican War and why would he feel this way?
10. Why do so many people seem to move to Texas between 1928 and 1968? Who are two famous political men who came from Texas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the drive it took to be a Texas homesteader. What did it require? Who were the best candidates for homesteading?
Essay Topic 2
Conflict takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of much of the conflict? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Lyndon Johnson. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)