|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Otto decide to work together?
2. When the Klan whips a man named __________________, he visits Floyd Rusk the next day.
3. Which family is the first to move into one of the abandoned houses at the fort to make a town?
4. The colonel assigned to Fort Sam Garner and his men rescue _________________ who had been captured by the Indians.
5. Comanche Chief _____________ holds a war council and decides to attack the settlement in #124.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the purpose of the Peace Policy instituted by President Polk in 1869?
2. Who is named the first U.S. Indian Agent?
3. What responsibilities does Earnshaw assume for the town and what is it eventually named?
4. What years did the Mexican War take place and why is there such lingering hatred between the Texans and Mexicans at this time?
5. Who are the first residents of Fort Sam Garner and why do they want to develop a town?
6. What would account for the brutality of the Texans during the Mexican War?
7. What time period does Chapter VII cover?
8. Who is R.J. Poteet and what role does he play in the new town?
9. What is Benito Garza's opinion of the Mexican War and why would he feel this way?
10. Why does the Republic of Texas come to an end and on what date does that occur?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who was your favorite fictional character in the book? Why? Who was your favorite nonfiction person in the book? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of General Santa Anna. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
Essay Topic 3
Name at least three environmental catastrophes that plagued the Texas homesteaders. Then cite the reasons why each catastrophe was so devastating to the settlers. If there were any preventative measures employed by the settlers, state those also in your answer.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)