|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives the Rusks money to pay the bank when they can't make a mortgage payment?
2. Laurel Cobb's cotton crop is ruined by __________________.
3. Which Indians were responsible for mass burning and killing at San Antonio?
4. Why does Yancey Quimper withdraw from the political race?
5. The Rust settlement gives the remaining Comanches permission to hunt ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Agent Talbot's feelings about Muzquiz' immigration different from how he feels about El Lobo?
2. What years did the Mexican War take place and why is there such lingering hatred between the Texans and Mexicans at this time?
3. How does General Santa Anna deceive the U.S. government through a deal with the Polk administration?
4. Why do Todd and Maggie Morrison move to Texas and how successful are they at adapting?
5. What was the purpose of the Peace Policy instituted by President Polk in 1869?
6. Why does the speaker at the Task Force meeting think that Texas was greatly influenced by the South?
7. Who are the first residents of Fort Sam Garner and why do they want to develop a town?
8. Why do the Cobb women not tell their slaves about the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation in 1863?
9. Who is R.J. Poteet and what role does he play in the new town?
10. What law enforcement group does Otto join and whom is he supposed to capture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Conflict takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of much of the conflict? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
What positions, other than wife and mother, did most Texas prairie women hold? What was expected of a prairie woman by others? What expectations did she place on herself? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Lyndon Johnson. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)