|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Otto in Chapter VII?
2. Otto learns that Franza's brother has been trying to negotiate peace with the _________________ Indians.
3. What is Earnshaw Rusk's job?
4. Earnshaw Rusk is a Quaker from which state?
5. Who gives the Rusks money to pay the bank when they can't make a mortgage payment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does slavery play in Texas prior to the Civil War?
2. Who are the first residents of Fort Sam Garner and why do they want to develop a town?
3. How does General Santa Anna deceive the U.S. government through a deal with the Polk administration?
4. Why does Laurel Cobb have to face trial within the church?
5. How did the Indians feel about President Polk's Peace Policy?
6. How do Earnshaw and Emma go about building a town?
7. What time period does Chapter VII cover?
8. What is Benito Garza's opinion of the Mexican War and why would he feel this way?
9. Who is named the first U.S. Indian Agent?
10. Why does the speaker at the Task Force meeting think that Texas was greatly influenced by the South?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why were social visits so welcome among the Texas homesteaders? What was the nature of a typical social call from one family on another? What were some of the social events held so that groups of homesteaders could meet and form friendships? What were the usual activities that would occur at these events?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply TEXAS? What was he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Lyndon Johnson. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)