|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Santa Anna promises to end the war if the U.S. government would give him one half million dollars in gold and transport him to _________________.
2. Who is the man who would take pregnant women across the border into the U.S. so their child would be born an American citizen?
3. Which one of the Allerkamp daughters does Otto McNab marry?
4. What does the man who works with Otto study?
5. Whom does the first president of Texas marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would account for the brutality of the Texans during the Mexican War?
2. How do Agent Talbot's feelings about Muzquiz' immigration different from how he feels about El Lobo?
3. What year is it in Chapter XII and what is the composition of Texas rural areas to city areas?
4. Who is R.J. Poteet and what role does he play in the new town?
5. How did the U.S. troops finally get the Indians to move to the reservation?
6. How do Earnshaw and Emma go about building a town?
7. When does the Ku Klux Klan appear in Larkin County and which groups of people are most affected by their presence?
8. Why do new Texas residents like Persifier and Somerset Cobb decide to side with the South in the Civil War?
9. How does Yancey come to own the ten thousand acres owned by the Garza women?
10. Why does the speaker at the Task Force meeting think that Texas was greatly influenced by the South?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how a Texas frontier town was established. Where was it most likely to be located? What were the typical establishments in a frontier town? Why were frontier towns so volatile?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the influx of immigrants to the Texas frontier. For what reasons did they leave their homes? What special challenges did they experience in homesteading in Texas that Americans did not experience? How readily accepted were the immigrants by the established settlers in Texas?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Lyndon Johnson. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)