|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people are in the Quimper family heading for Texas in Chapter IV?
2. What do Garcilaco and his wife find of Marcos' after Marcos dies?
3. Finlay McNab worked as a merchant husbandman near ______________________.
4. What is a mestizo?
5. Who is Damian's assistant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is The Kronk?
2. Why did the Methodist Qimpers experience religious conflict when settling in Texas?
3. What are the underlying reasons for the Texas move toward independence?
4. What was the reason for so many bigamist marriages in Texas?
5. Who were the members of the governor's Task Force and why were they chosen?
6. Why has the Governor of Texas put together a Task Force?
7. Where does the Qimper family come from and where do they settle in Texas?
8. How many sons do Benita and Alvara have and which one will become important?
9. Why does Ramon want Trinidad to marry a Spaniard from Spain?
10. Benito sides with General Santa Anna and rides to the Alamo. What happens to start the siege there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the drive it took to be a Texas homesteader. What did it require? Who were the best candidates for homesteading?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply TEXAS? What was he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
Essay Topic 3
Who was your favorite fictional character in the book? Why? Who was your favorite nonfiction person in the book? Why?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)