|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many graduate students will help the Task Force?
2. How does Jubal Quimper die?
3. What happens to Father Clooney after he converts Finlay and Otto to Catholicism?
4. Father Francis Xavier Clooney tells the Quimpers that they will get no land in Texas unless _______________________.
5. Where had Finlay McNab studied?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the beginnings of San Antonio as described by the author in Chapter II?
2. What are the underlying reasons for the Texas move toward independence?
3. Who were the members of the governor's Task Force and why were they chosen?
4. What Native American and island people settle in the area that is to become San Antonio?
5. What does Jubal Qimper establish at the Brazos River?
6. Which women do Zave Campbell and Finlay McNab marry in Texas?
7. How does Benito help Otto prior to the prisoner executions at Goliad?
8. How many sons do Benita and Alvara have and which one will become important?
9. What happens to Finlay McNab's first family?
10. How does the author end each chapter in the book and what topic is addressed in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain some of the examples of regionalism found in the book. Can regionalism include more than accents and food? What else encompasses the culture and personality of a region?
Essay Topic 2
Personal identity is an important theme in this book. Who were some of the people who had the strongest personalities? What were their personal codes? Which person in the book would you look up to? Who did you think was less exemplary in character? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)