|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many cultural inheritance groups are there in Texas?
2. How many children does Trinidad have?
3. The requirement of Mexican law to get land resulted in many ___________________.
4. Finlay learns that he must ___________________ and get married in order to obtain land.
5. Whom does Benito spot and urge to run away prior to the massacre at Goliad?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the beginnings of San Antonio as described by the author in Chapter II?
2. Who is Finlay McNab and how did he come to settle in Texas?
3. Benito sides with General Santa Anna and rides to the Alamo. What happens to start the siege there?
4. What good fortune does Garcilaco have after the death of Frey Marcos
5. What does Ramon do when he learns that Trinidad is interested in Domingo Garza?
6. Who is Garcilaco and what is his role in Chapter I?
7. What was the reason for so many bigamist marriages in Texas?
8. What happens to Finlay McNab's first family?
9. Who were the members of the governor's Task Force and why were they chosen?
10. Explain the irony of Ramon's actions to keep Trinidad from Domingo Garza.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Personal identity is an important theme in this book. Who were some of the people who had the strongest personalities? What were their personal codes? Which person in the book would you look up to? Who did you think was less exemplary in character? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Who was your favorite fictional character in the book? Why? Who was your favorite nonfiction person in the book? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the influx of immigrants to the Texas frontier. For what reasons did they leave their homes? What special challenges did they experience in homesteading in Texas that Americans did not experience? How readily accepted were the immigrants by the established settlers in Texas?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)