|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Garcilaco when his marriage is arranged?
2. How many cultural inheritance groups are there in Texas?
3. With which general does Garcilaco go on an expedition?
4. What do the Quimpers establish at their settlement?
5. Where had Finlay McNab studied?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jubal Qimper establish at the Brazos River?
2. How many sons do Benita and Alvara have and which one will become important?
3. What does Garcilaco decide after traveling and listening to the stories of Cabeza and Esteban?
4. Who is The Kronk?
5. What does Ramon do when he learns that Trinidad is interested in Domingo Garza?
6. Who is Garcilaco and what is his role in Chapter I?
7. How does the author end each chapter in the book and what topic is addressed in this chapter?
8. Which women do Zave Campbell and Finlay McNab marry in Texas?
9. Where does the Qimper family come from and where do they settle in Texas?
10. What was the reason for so many bigamist marriages in Texas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Lyndon Johnson. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the reasons for the Texas Revolution in 1836. Why was it an overwhelming loss for Texas? Who were some of the major figures fighting for Texas in the Revolution? Is their legacy worth their struggles?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)