|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year is it in Chapter I when Garcilaco travels to Mexico City?
2. How many people are in the Quimper family heading for Texas in Chapter IV?
3. Finlay McNab worked as a merchant husbandman near ______________________.
4. The Task Force held in October of 1983 discusses which subject?
5. Garcilaco's master sells him to a friar named ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Finlay McNab and how did he come to settle in Texas?
2. What happens to Finlay McNab's first family?
3. Benito sides with General Santa Anna and rides to the Alamo. What happens to start the siege there?
4. Why does Ramon want Trinidad to marry a Spaniard from Spain?
5. What are the underlying reasons for the Texas move toward independence?
6. What does Garcilaco decide after traveling and listening to the stories of Cabeza and Esteban?
7. Who was appointed the chairman of the Task Force and where were the meetings to be held?
8. How does the author end each chapter in the book and what topic is addressed in this chapter?
9. Who is Garcilaco and what is his role in Chapter I?
10. How does Benito help Otto prior to the prisoner executions at Goliad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the drive it took to be a Texas homesteader. What did it require? Who were the best candidates for homesteading?
Essay Topic 2
Personal identity is an important theme in this book. Who were some of the people who had the strongest personalities? What were their personal codes? Which person in the book would you look up to? Who did you think was less exemplary in character? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Lyndon Johnson. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)