|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why had Ramon tried to kill Mordacai Marr?
2. Who kills Ramon?
3. In 1558, Marcos arranges a marriage between Garcilaco and ____________________.
4. What business is Rene-Claude d'Ambreuze in?
5. Whom does Benito spot and urge to run away prior to the massacre at Goliad?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the seven cultural inheritances that make up Texas?
2. What good fortune does Garcilaco have after the death of Frey Marcos
3. Explain the irony of Ramon's actions to keep Trinidad from Domingo Garza.
4. Benito sides with General Santa Anna and rides to the Alamo. What happens to start the siege there?
5. How old is Ramon in Chapter III and who is his only remaining family member?
6. Why does Ramon want Trinidad to marry a Spaniard from Spain?
7. What are the underlying reasons for the Texas move toward independence?
8. Who is The Kronk?
9. What were the beginnings of San Antonio as described by the author in Chapter II?
10. What does Jubal Qimper establish at the Brazos River?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why were social visits so welcome among the Texas homesteaders? What was the nature of a typical social call from one family on another? What were some of the social events held so that groups of homesteaders could meet and form friendships? What were the usual activities that would occur at these events?
Essay Topic 2
Conflict takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of much of the conflict? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how a Texas frontier town was established. Where was it most likely to be located? What were the typical establishments in a frontier town? Why were frontier towns so volatile?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)