|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. McNab learns that the papers for the land he paid ________________________ for are not legitimate.
2. The requirement of Mexican law to get land resulted in many ___________________.
3. What nationality is Finlay McNab?
4. What does the Texas governor want by the Sesquicentennial?
5. Whom does Garcilao recognize when visiting the bishop?
Short Essay Questions
1. What Native American and island people settle in the area that is to become San Antonio?
2. What good fortune does Garcilaco have after the death of Frey Marcos
3. What was the reason for so many bigamist marriages in Texas?
4. What are the underlying reasons for the Texas move toward independence?
5. Who were the members of the governor's Task Force and why were they chosen?
6. Why did the Methodist Qimpers experience religious conflict when settling in Texas?
7. Why does following your own conscience regarding a rebellion create such conflict among friends and family?
8. Where does the Qimper family come from and where do they settle in Texas?
9. How many sons do Benita and Alvara have and which one will become important?
10. How old is Ramon in Chapter III and who is his only remaining family member?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Lyndon Johnson. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
Essay Topic 2
Who was your favorite fictional character in the book? Why? Who was your favorite nonfiction person in the book? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Texas cowboys and cattle drives had a lasting impression on American culture yet they were active for only about a 20-year period. What was the purpose of a cattle drive? How was a cattle drive structured? Who were the personnel included on a cattle drive? What were the advantages and disadvantages of cattle drives to the Texas settlers?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)