|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why had Ramon tried to kill Mordacai Marr?
2. Which of the following do Mordecai and Amalia Marr NOT meet at the Alamo?
3. What happens to Father Clooney after he converts Finlay and Otto to Catholicism?
4. To what U.S. city did Finlay McNab flee when he got into trouble with the law in Bristol, England?
5. Finlay McNab worked as a merchant husbandman near ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Which women do Zave Campbell and Finlay McNab marry in Texas?
2. What are the underlying reasons for the Texas move toward independence?
3. Who is Finlay McNab and how did he come to settle in Texas?
4. Who is Garcilaco and what is his role in Chapter I?
5. What good fortune does Garcilaco have after the death of Frey Marcos
6. Who is The Kronk?
7. Why does Ramon want Trinidad to marry a Spaniard from Spain?
8. Who were the members of the governor's Task Force and why were they chosen?
9. How does the author end each chapter in the book and what topic is addressed in this chapter?
10. Explain why the missions in San Antonio had to be prepared to fend off Indian attacks.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of religion--especially Catholicism--on the Texas prairie. Was there an increase in religious life because just living on the prairie was such a trying experience? What were the primary religions represented on the Texas frontier?
Essay Topic 2
Texas cowboys and cattle drives had a lasting impression on American culture yet they were active for only about a 20-year period. What was the purpose of a cattle drive? How was a cattle drive structured? Who were the personnel included on a cattle drive? What were the advantages and disadvantages of cattle drives to the Texas settlers?
Essay Topic 3
Explain some of the examples of regionalism found in the book. Can regionalism include more than accents and food? What else encompasses the culture and personality of a region?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)