Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who marries Avara?
2. Who is one of the first men killed at the battle of the Alamo?
3. Who is the man that is summoned to the Texas governor's office?
4. Benito Garza decides to side with __________________ in the revolution.
5. What year is it in Chapter I when Garcilaco travels to Mexico City?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Agent Talbot's feelings about Muzquiz' immigration different from how he feels about El Lobo?
2. How does General Santa Anna deceive the U.S. government through a deal with the Polk administration?
3. Why has the Governor of Texas put together a Task Force?
4. What years did the Mexican War take place and why is there such lingering hatred between the Texans and Mexicans at this time?
5. Who are the first residents of Fort Sam Garner and why do they want to develop a town?
6. What role does slavery play in Texas prior to the Civil War?
7. Why do the Cobb women not tell their slaves about the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation in 1863?
8. Why do Todd and Maggie Morrison move to Texas and how successful are they at adapting?
9. What does Garcilaco decide after traveling and listening to the stories of Cabeza and Esteban?
10. Who is Kimbro and what unlikely partnership does he enter into with Floyd Rusk?
Personal identity is an important theme in this book. Who were some of the people who had the strongest personalities? What were their personal codes? Which person in the book would you look up to? Who did you think was less exemplary in character? Explain.
Texas cowboys and cattle drives had a lasting impression on American culture yet they were active for only about a 20-year period. What was the purpose of a cattle drive? How was a cattle drive structured? Who were the personnel included on a cattle drive? What were the advantages and disadvantages of cattle drives to the Texas settlers?
Explain the value that Michener's book has for preserving the heritage and culture of Texas. What value does it have for historians and students today? What value will you take away from this literary experience? Explain.
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)