|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1558, Marcos arranges a marriage between Garcilaco and ____________________.
2. Where had Finlay McNab studied?
3. How many graduate students will help the Task Force?
4. The Quimpers settle in an area of which river?
5. Garcilaco's master says they must deliver their goods to _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the seven cultural inheritances that make up Texas?
2. Why did the Methodist Qimpers experience religious conflict when settling in Texas?
3. How does the author end each chapter in the book and what topic is addressed in this chapter?
4. What Native American and island people settle in the area that is to become San Antonio?
5. What were the beginnings of San Antonio as described by the author in Chapter II?
6. Benito sides with General Santa Anna and rides to the Alamo. What happens to start the siege there?
7. What good fortune does Garcilaco have after the death of Frey Marcos
8. What are the underlying reasons for the Texas move toward independence?
9. Who was appointed the chairman of the Task Force and where were the meetings to be held?
10. Why does Ramon want Trinidad to marry a Spaniard from Spain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Texas cowboys and cattle drives had a lasting impression on American culture yet they were active for only about a 20-year period. What was the purpose of a cattle drive? How was a cattle drive structured? Who were the personnel included on a cattle drive? What were the advantages and disadvantages of cattle drives to the Texas settlers?
Essay Topic 2
Explain some of the examples of regionalism found in the book. Can regionalism include more than accents and food? What else encompasses the culture and personality of a region?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the value that Michener's book has for preserving the heritage and culture of Texas. What value does it have for historians and students today? What value will you take away from this literary experience? Explain.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)