|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Friar Damian de Saldana's brother that is an officer in the army?
2. Which man is instrumental in the capture of Santa Anna?
3. How old is Ramon, son of Alvara and Benita, in Chapter III?
4. What happens to Father Clooney after he converts Finlay and Otto to Catholicism?
5. Garcilaco's master sells him to a friar named ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Benito sides with General Santa Anna and rides to the Alamo. What happens to start the siege there?
2. What does Jubal Qimper establish at the Brazos River?
3. Explain the irony of Ramon's actions to keep Trinidad from Domingo Garza.
4. How many sons do Benita and Alvara have and which one will become important?
5. What does Ramon do when he learns that Trinidad is interested in Domingo Garza?
6. Where does the Qimper family come from and where do they settle in Texas?
7. Who is Garcilaco and what is his role in Chapter I?
8. Why does Ramon want Trinidad to marry a Spaniard from Spain?
9. What Native American and island people settle in the area that is to become San Antonio?
10. What does Garcilaco decide after traveling and listening to the stories of Cabeza and Esteban?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Personal identity is an important theme in this book. Who were some of the people who had the strongest personalities? What were their personal codes? Which person in the book would you look up to? Who did you think was less exemplary in character? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the value that Michener's book has for preserving the heritage and culture of Texas. What value does it have for historians and students today? What value will you take away from this literary experience? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the influx of immigrants to the Texas frontier. For what reasons did they leave their homes? What special challenges did they experience in homesteading in Texas that Americans did not experience? How readily accepted were the immigrants by the established settlers in Texas?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)