|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Finlay learns that he must ___________________ and get married in order to obtain land.
2. The Task Force held in October of 1983 discusses which subject?
3. What is a mestizo?
4. Which girl does Simon Garza marry?
5. How many graduate students will help the Task Force?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author end each chapter in the book and what topic is addressed in this chapter?
2. How does Benito help Otto prior to the prisoner executions at Goliad?
3. Why does Ramon want Trinidad to marry a Spaniard from Spain?
4. Who was appointed the chairman of the Task Force and where were the meetings to be held?
5. What good fortune does Garcilaco have after the death of Frey Marcos
6. Who were the members of the governor's Task Force and why were they chosen?
7. What are the seven cultural inheritances that make up Texas?
8. Where does the Qimper family come from and where do they settle in Texas?
9. Why has the Governor of Texas put together a Task Force?
10. Explain why the missions in San Antonio had to be prepared to fend off Indian attacks.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who was your favorite fictional character in the book? Why? Who was your favorite nonfiction person in the book? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Why were social visits so welcome among the Texas homesteaders? What was the nature of a typical social call from one family on another? What were some of the social events held so that groups of homesteaders could meet and form friendships? What were the usual activities that would occur at these events?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Lyndon Johnson. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)