|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Texas governor want by the Sesquicentennial?
2. What is an auto-de-fe?
3. Who is the first son born to Alvara and Benita?
4. What does Dr. Barlow anticipate among the members of the Task Force?
5. Whom does Benito spot and urge to run away prior to the massacre at Goliad?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the missions in San Antonio had to be prepared to fend off Indian attacks.
2. Why did the Methodist Qimpers experience religious conflict when settling in Texas?
3. Why has the Governor of Texas put together a Task Force?
4. Who is The Kronk?
5. How does Benito help Otto prior to the prisoner executions at Goliad?
6. What are the underlying reasons for the Texas move toward independence?
7. How old is Ramon in Chapter III and who is his only remaining family member?
8. What good fortune does Garcilaco have after the death of Frey Marcos
9. Which women do Zave Campbell and Finlay McNab marry in Texas?
10. What were the beginnings of San Antonio as described by the author in Chapter II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the process of breaking ground and planting crops. Which crops were experimented with by the homesteaders? Which crops became the staples for Texas homesteaders? Are those crops the primary crops for Texas yet today?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the influx of immigrants to the Texas frontier. For what reasons did they leave their homes? What special challenges did they experience in homesteading in Texas that Americans did not experience? How readily accepted were the immigrants by the established settlers in Texas?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)