|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What business is Rene-Claude d'Ambreuze in?
2. At Ayish Bayou, Father Clooney officiates at a _________________.
3. Which location was another site of battles in the Texas revolution?
4. Who is one of the first men killed at the battle of the Alamo?
5. Benito Garza feels thinks that the Alamo will last ________________ days if it is under siege.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Garcilaco and what is his role in Chapter I?
2. Who were the members of the governor's Task Force and why were they chosen?
3. What Native American and island people settle in the area that is to become San Antonio?
4. How does the author end each chapter in the book and what topic is addressed in this chapter?
5. How old is Ramon in Chapter III and who is his only remaining family member?
6. What are the seven cultural inheritances that make up Texas?
7. Who is Finlay McNab and how did he come to settle in Texas?
8. How many sons do Benita and Alvara have and which one will become important?
9. What does Jubal Qimper establish at the Brazos River?
10. Explain the irony of Ramon's actions to keep Trinidad from Domingo Garza.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Conflict takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of much of the conflict? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of religion--especially Catholicism--on the Texas prairie. Was there an increase in religious life because just living on the prairie was such a trying experience? What were the primary religions represented on the Texas frontier?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Lyndon Johnson. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)