|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Garcilao recognize when visiting the bishop?
2. Who is appointed as the chairman of the Task Force?
3. What does Ramon give Domingo Garza's family when he learns that his granddaughter is interested in him?
4. What nationality is Finlay McNab?
5. At Ayish Bayou, Father Clooney officiates at a _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jubal Qimper establish at the Brazos River?
2. What are the seven cultural inheritances that make up Texas?
3. What are the underlying reasons for the Texas move toward independence?
4. Who is Finlay McNab and how did he come to settle in Texas?
5. Who were the members of the governor's Task Force and why were they chosen?
6. Explain the irony of Ramon's actions to keep Trinidad from Domingo Garza.
7. What does Ramon do when he learns that Trinidad is interested in Domingo Garza?
8. Which women do Zave Campbell and Finlay McNab marry in Texas?
9. Why does Ramon want Trinidad to marry a Spaniard from Spain?
10. How does Benito help Otto prior to the prisoner executions at Goliad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
TEXAS is a classic work of historical fiction. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the process of breaking ground and planting crops. Which crops were experimented with by the homesteaders? Which crops became the staples for Texas homesteaders? Are those crops the primary crops for Texas yet today?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the value that Michener's book has for preserving the heritage and culture of Texas. What value does it have for historians and students today? What value will you take away from this literary experience? Explain.
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)