|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the man who is visiting the governor in Texas?
2. How does Jubal Quimper die?
3. A group of people from the ______________________ is brought to settle the area around Bexar.
4. Benito Garza feels thinks that the Alamo will last ________________ days if it is under siege.
5. What starts the siege at the Alamo?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author end each chapter in the book and what topic is addressed in this chapter?
2. What does Ramon do when he learns that Trinidad is interested in Domingo Garza?
3. Explain the irony of Ramon's actions to keep Trinidad from Domingo Garza.
4. Who were the members of the governor's Task Force and why were they chosen?
5. Why did the Methodist Qimpers experience religious conflict when settling in Texas?
6. Why has the Governor of Texas put together a Task Force?
7. How many sons do Benita and Alvara have and which one will become important?
8. Who is The Kronk?
9. Who was appointed the chairman of the Task Force and where were the meetings to be held?
10. Explain why the missions in San Antonio had to be prepared to fend off Indian attacks.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Texas cowboys and cattle drives had a lasting impression on American culture yet they were active for only about a 20-year period. What was the purpose of a cattle drive? How was a cattle drive structured? Who were the personnel included on a cattle drive? What were the advantages and disadvantages of cattle drives to the Texas settlers?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the process of breaking ground and planting crops. Which crops were experimented with by the homesteaders? Which crops became the staples for Texas homesteaders? Are those crops the primary crops for Texas yet today?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply TEXAS? What was he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)