|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Father Francis Xavier Clooney tells the Quimpers that they will get no land in Texas unless _______________________.
2. Who is Jubal Quimpers' wife?
3. Which of the following do the Quimpers NOT experience as they travel across Texas?
4. Who is Damian's assistant?
5. Finlay learns that he must ___________________ and get married in order to obtain land.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Cobb women not tell their slaves about the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation in 1863?
2. What time period does Chapter VII cover?
3. Who is named the first U.S. Indian Agent?
4. What were the beginnings of San Antonio as described by the author in Chapter II?
5. Why does the Republic of Texas come to an end and on what date does that occur?
6. Explain why the missions in San Antonio had to be prepared to fend off Indian attacks.
7. Why do Todd and Maggie Morrison move to Texas and how successful are they at adapting?
8. What Native American and island people settle in the area that is to become San Antonio?
9. How does Yancey come to own the ten thousand acres owned by the Garza women?
10. Who were the members of the governor's Task Force and why were they chosen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain some of the examples of regionalism found in the book. Can regionalism include more than accents and food? What else encompasses the culture and personality of a region?
Essay Topic 2
Personal identity is an important theme in this book. Who were some of the people who had the strongest personalities? What were their personal codes? Which person in the book would you look up to? Who did you think was less exemplary in character? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the value that Michener's book has for preserving the heritage and culture of Texas. What value does it have for historians and students today? What value will you take away from this literary experience? Explain.
This section contains 1,460 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)