|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following do Mordecai and Amalia Marr NOT meet at the Alamo?
2. How many children does Trinidad have?
3. Those men who supported the Texas revolution were mostly _______________________.
4. Who is Jubal Quimpers' wife?
5. Who is McNab's son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the beginnings of San Antonio as described by the author in Chapter II?
2. How old is Ramon in Chapter III and who is his only remaining family member?
3. What was the reason for so many bigamist marriages in Texas?
4. Why did the Methodist Qimpers experience religious conflict when settling in Texas?
5. What are the underlying reasons for the Texas move toward independence?
6. Why has the Governor of Texas put together a Task Force?
7. Benito sides with General Santa Anna and rides to the Alamo. What happens to start the siege there?
8. Who is Garcilaco and what is his role in Chapter I?
9. Why does Ramon want Trinidad to marry a Spaniard from Spain?
10. What are the seven cultural inheritances that make up Texas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What positions, other than wife and mother, did most Texas prairie women hold? What was expected of a prairie woman by others? What expectations did she place on herself? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of religion--especially Catholicism--on the Texas prairie. Was there an increase in religious life because just living on the prairie was such a trying experience? What were the primary religions represented on the Texas frontier?
Essay Topic 3
Who was your favorite fictional character in the book? Why? Who was your favorite nonfiction person in the book? Why?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)