Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who marries Avara?
2. Who is one of the first men killed at the battle of the Alamo?
3. Who is the man that is summoned to the Texas governor's office?
4. Benito Garza decides to side with __________________ in the revolution.
5. What year is it in Chapter I when Garcilaco travels to Mexico City?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Agent Talbot's feelings about Muzquiz' immigration different from how he feels about El Lobo?
2. How does General Santa Anna deceive the U.S. government through a deal with the Polk administration?
3. Why has the Governor of Texas put together a Task Force?
4. What years did the Mexican War take place and why is there such lingering hatred between the Texans and Mexicans at this time?
5. Who are the first residents of Fort Sam Garner and why do they want to develop a town?
6. What role does slavery play in Texas prior to the Civil War?
7. Why do the Cobb women not tell their slaves about the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation in 1863?
8. Why do Todd and Maggie Morrison move to Texas and how successful are they at adapting?
9. What does Garcilaco decide after traveling and listening to the stories of Cabeza and Esteban?
10. Who is Kimbro and what unlikely partnership does he enter into with Floyd Rusk?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the influx of immigrants to the Texas frontier. For what reasons did they leave their homes? What special challenges did they experience in homesteading in Texas that Americans did not experience? How readily accepted were the immigrants by the established settlers in Texas?
Essay Topic 2
Name at least three environmental catastrophes that plagued the Texas homesteaders. Then cite the reasons why each catastrophe was so devastating to the settlers. If there were any preventative measures employed by the settlers, state those also in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how a Texas frontier town was established. Where was it most likely to be located? What were the typical establishments in a frontier town? Why were frontier towns so volatile?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)