|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Somersett Cobb is running against Yancey Quimper for which political office?
(b) U.S. Senator.
2. Laurel Cobb's cotton crop is ruined by __________________.
(a) Boll weevils.
3. Which of the following is NOT in the same unit serving under General Lee?
4. Earnshaw dies from complications following ____________________.
(a) A near drowning.
(b) A car accident.
(c) Being stomped by a horse.
(d) A knife wound.
5. Why does Laurel face trial within his church?
(a) He is accused of encouraging women to dance.
(b) He does not make his children attend church services.
(c) He has been seen with another man's wife.
(d) He has taken money from the church coffers.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Klan whips a man named __________________, he visits Floyd Rusk the next day.
2. Who kills Benito Garza during a raid on his ranch in Mexico?
3. Whom does the first president of Texas marry?
4. The slave named _________________ sells cotton in Mexico and receives a letter of credit with which he buys land.
5. Who becomes the first president of Texas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What responsibilities does Earnshaw assume for the town and what is it eventually named?
2. Why does the Republic of Texas come to an end and on what date does that occur?
3. Who is Kimbro and what unlikely partnership does he enter into with Floyd Rusk?
4. How do Agent Talbot's feelings about Muzquiz' immigration different from how he feels about El Lobo?
5. How does Yancey come to own the ten thousand acres owned by the Garza women?
6. When does the Ku Klux Klan appear in Larkin County and which groups of people are most affected by their presence?
7. What is Benito Garza's opinion of the Mexican War and why would he feel this way?
8. Why do new Texas residents like Persifier and Somerset Cobb decide to side with the South in the Civil War?
9. What years did the Mexican War take place and why is there such lingering hatred between the Texans and Mexicans at this time?
10. Why do Todd and Maggie Morrison move to Texas and how successful are they at adapting?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)