|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Otto joins a police-like unit called a/an ________________________.
(a) Legal company.
(b) Ranging company.
(c) Tracker company.
(d) Equine company.
2. What does Earnshaw Rust's wife do?
(a) Tames and sells wild horses.
(b) Teaches Indian children how to speak English.
(c) Delivers babies as a midwife.
(d) Works as a rancher.
3. How do the army troops force the Indians to surrender and move to the reservations?
(a) They force them at gunpoint.
(b) They kill off their animals.
(c) They begin to poison them.
(d) They burn their encampments.
4. Why does Yancey Quimper withdraw from the political race?
(a) He buys a new ranch instead.
(b) He is injured and cannot serve.
(c) He has family obligations to tend to.
(d) Earnshaw Rusk exposes his fraud.
5. Who becomes the first president of Texas?
(a) William Austin.
(b) Sam Houston.
(c) Lyndon Johnson.
(d) John Gerard Dallas.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Indians were responsible for mass burning and killing at San Antonio?
2. Otto learns that Franza's brother has been trying to negotiate peace with the _________________ Indians.
3. The Ku Klux Klan appears in Larken County in December of what year?
4. How many slaves do Persifier and Tessa Mae give to Sett and Lissa when they leave for Texas?
5. What year is it in Chapter XII?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Yancey come to own the ten thousand acres owned by the Garza women?
2. When does the Ku Klux Klan appear in Larkin County and which groups of people are most affected by their presence?
3. Who is Kimbro and what unlikely partnership does he enter into with Floyd Rusk?
4. Why do the Cobb women not tell their slaves about the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation in 1863?
5. Who is named the first U.S. Indian Agent?
6. Why does the speaker at the Task Force meeting think that Texas was greatly influenced by the South?
7. What responsibilities does Earnshaw assume for the town and what is it eventually named?
8. Explain the situation of illegal alien Eloy Muzquiz and his attempts to immigrate to Texas.
9. What year is it in Chapter XII and what is the composition of Texas rural areas to city areas?
10. Why do so many people seem to move to Texas between 1928 and 1968? Who are two famous political men who came from Texas?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)