|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Yancey Quimper withdraw from the political race?
(a) He has family obligations to tend to.
(b) Earnshaw Rusk exposes his fraud.
(c) He is injured and cannot serve.
(d) He buys a new ranch instead.
2. What happens to the Germans at Fredericksbug who can't support the Civil War?
(a) They are imprisoned.
(b) Nothing happens to them.
(c) They are hanged.
(d) They are exiled.
3. The man, who was caught in 1961 trying to illegally cross the border, manages to cross the U.S. Border again and lives in which Texas community?
(a) El Paso.
4. The Larkins are _________________ who move onto Comanche land.
5. What does Earnshaw Rust's wife do?
(a) Delivers babies as a midwife.
(b) Teaches Indian children how to speak English.
(c) Tames and sells wild horses.
(d) Works as a rancher.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Persifier's brother?
2. Where is Santa Anna living in exile?
3. Who is Persifier's wife?
4. With whom does Otto decide to work together?
5. Why does Laurel face trial within his church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Cobb women not tell their slaves about the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation in 1863?
2. How do Agent Talbot's feelings about Muzquiz' immigration different from how he feels about El Lobo?
3. What years did the Mexican War take place and why is there such lingering hatred between the Texans and Mexicans at this time?
4. What law enforcement group does Otto join and whom is he supposed to capture?
5. Why do new Texas residents like Persifier and Somerset Cobb decide to side with the South in the Civil War?
6. What would account for the brutality of the Texans during the Mexican War?
7. How does General Santa Anna deceive the U.S. government through a deal with the Polk administration?
8. What was the purpose of the Peace Policy instituted by President Polk in 1869?
9. What year is it in Chapter XII and what is the composition of Texas rural areas to city areas?
10. What responsibilities does Earnshaw assume for the town and what is it eventually named?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)