|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hector Garza lives in an area where ________________ of the population is Hispanic.
2. Which Texan becomes both Vice President and President of the United States?
(a) Hubert Humphrey.
(b) Lyndon Johnson.
(c) George McGovern.
(d) Richard Nixon.
3. Why does Yancey Quimper withdraw from the political race?
(a) He buys a new ranch instead.
(b) He is injured and cannot serve.
(c) He has family obligations to tend to.
(d) Earnshaw Rusk exposes his fraud.
4. Colonel Persifier ______________ decides to leave the army after the Mexican War.
5. How old is Otto in Chapter VII?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Persifier's wife?
2. What year is it in Chapter XII?
3. A black man and Floyd Rusk go into the _____________ business together.
4. Otto joins a police-like unit called a/an ________________________.
5. The colonel assigned to Fort Sam Garner and his men rescue _________________ who had been captured by the Indians.
Short Essay Questions
1. What would account for the brutality of the Texans during the Mexican War?
2. How do Agent Talbot's feelings about Muzquiz' immigration different from how he feels about El Lobo?
3. Why do so many people seem to move to Texas between 1928 and 1968? Who are two famous political men who came from Texas?
4. What law enforcement group does Otto join and whom is he supposed to capture?
5. Why do the Cobb women not tell their slaves about the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation in 1863?
6. How did the Indians feel about President Polk's Peace Policy?
7. What responsibilities does Earnshaw assume for the town and what is it eventually named?
8. What years did the Mexican War take place and why is there such lingering hatred between the Texans and Mexicans at this time?
9. Why does the Republic of Texas come to an end and on what date does that occur?
10. When does the Ku Klux Klan appear in Larkin County and which groups of people are most affected by their presence?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)