|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Tex known Lem?
2. What does Mason tell Tex is wrong with him?
3. Which word best describes Mason's feelings as he describes them to Bob?
4. When does Mason think their father will return?
5. Where does Johnny like to ride his motorbike?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can you tell by reading this that Tex cares for Jamie?
2. Why is Tex upset with Mason at the end of this chapter?
3. Why is Mason frustrated with his life?
4. What goes through Tex's mind when he considers that Mason may be quite ill?
5. How did Mason get the heat to be turned back on the next day?
6. Why do you think the conversation in chapter twelve between Tex and Mason is somewhat strained?
7. What does Mason tell Pop it takes to have a family?
8. Which character seems to have stayed the same throughout the novel?
9. How does Tex react to Mason's news?
10. What problem does Jamie have with Lem's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing the realizations that Tex has come to throughout the novel and what led to these realizations. Be sure to use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the societal prejudices of being poor. Include examples from your own personal experience and examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing the many poor choices that Tex makes throughout the novel. Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your essay.
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)