|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters is NOT a member of Tex's family?
2. What could it be said that Tex helps Johnny recover by making the jump?
3. How does the vice principal generally respond when Tex is sent there?
4. What is the main problem of this chapter?
5. Why does Tex feel the hitchhiker died?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mason react to Lem's decision for work?
2. What does Tex realize about Lem once he gets in the car?
3. What characteristics does the fact that Tex makes the bike jump show about him?
4. Why would you say Tex is concerned about people leaving?
5. How does Tex feel after he overhears what Jamie says to her friends?
6. How does Lem come to the revelation that Mason wants respect more than money?
7. Why is Mason frustrated with his life?
8. Why do you think Mason is skipping the fair this year?
9. How does Mason hope to escape his home?
10. What goes through Tex's mind when he considers that Mason may be quite ill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing how the relationship between Mason and Tex might improve once Mason has gone off to college.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about how Jamie feels about Tex. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
This novel has several examples of irony in it. Write an essay about these examples, being sure to include at least three examples of irony. Explain why they are ironic and how the author develops this sense throughout the novel.
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)