|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Mason and Tex think could be the next 'hitchhiker'?
2. What does Cole demand to Mason?
3. Which of the following terms best describes how Tex feels as he goes to pick up Mason from the hospital?
4. What activity did Tex and Johnny spend a lot of time doing during the previous summer?
5. Why is Tex sad when they leave Tex's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mason tell Pop it takes to have a family?
2. Why do you think Mason is skipping the fair this year?
3. Why is Tex upset with Mason at the end of this chapter?
4. What promise does Tex keep in this chapter?
5. Why does Tex believe he will never see Lem again?
6. How does Mason ruin Tex's good mood?
7. What does Tex finally realize about Mason leaving?
8. What characteristics does the fact that Tex makes the bike jump show about him?
9. What goes through Tex's mind when he considers that Mason may be quite ill?
10. How does Mason hope to escape his home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This novel has several examples of irony in it. Write an essay about these examples, being sure to include at least three examples of irony. Explain why they are ironic and how the author develops this sense throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Considering that Mason reveals that Pop is not Tex's father, write an essay reflecting back throughout the events in the novel regarding Tex and Mason's behavior. Be sure to include specific examples from the novel to support your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Tex enjoyed one book in particular and at the end compares his relationship to Mason to an event in the book. Write an essay comparing the relationship between yourself and someone else to that of Tex and Mason in this book. Be sure to include specific examples.
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)