|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tex end the crisis with the hitchhiker?
2. Where is the fair?
3. When does Mason think their father will return?
4. How do Tex and Johnny get to school at the beginning of this chapter?
5. What announcement does Mason and Tex's nighttime visitor share?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mason accuse Tex of regularly?
2. What kind of summer job did the Miss Johnson find for Tex?
3. How did Mason get the heat to be turned back on the next day?
4. Why does Tex decide to pick up the hitchhiker?
5. What does Mason tell Pop it takes to have a family?
6. Why does Tex want to ensure Mason goes to college?
7. What role would you say Mason has had to fulfill for Tex?
8. Why would you say Tex is concerned about people leaving?
9. Why does Johnny lose the right to ride his motorbike at the beginning of chapter four?
10. How does Mason hope to escape his home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing in detail the relationship between Tex and Mason and how it changes throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing Mason's relationship with his father and how it is described throughout the novel. Use specific examples from the novel to provide examples to support your essay.
Essay Topic 3
This novel has several examples of irony in it. Write an essay about these examples, being sure to include at least three examples of irony. Explain why they are ironic and how the author develops this sense throughout the novel.
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)