|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Pop explain Tex's mother contracted pneumonia?
(a) She was mad at him and walked to a dance in the snow and cold
(b) She refused to go to the doctor for any treatment
(c) He would not allow her to go to the doctor
(d) He could not afford to pay for heat during the winter
2. Who does Tex call from the phone booth when he is bleeding?
(b) The hospital
3. How does Tex answer the questions the police ask him?
(a) He made up a wild story on his own
(b) He refused to answer any of the questions
(d) As Lem told him to
4. What realization about Pop and Mason does Tex come to after Mason is injured?
(a) Pop doesn't care about his kids
(b) Mason is going to die
(c) Pop worries more about Mason than Tex
(d) Mason is not a good basketball player
5. Who is the first person Tex talks to upon waking in the hospital?
6. Where does Tex take Jamie after they leave the game?
(a) Gravel pits
(b) His house
(c) Football field
7. Why doesn't Tex stop Lem from making one stop on his way back to the city?
(a) Because he is emotionally distraught
(b) Because he is looking for a fight
(c) Because he hopes Lem will stop at his house
(d) Because he has no control over what Lem does
8. Who does Lem remind Tex of after he reads his letter?
(a) Pop and his young wife
(b) Mason and his girlfriend
(c) Tex and Jamie
(d) Cole and his wife
9. Why can't Tex shoot the people that Lem is talking to?
(a) He cannot find the gun
(b) He just wants to leave
(c) He is in too much pain
(d) He wonders if they have mothers and sisters
10. Why does Tex say he will never shoot anything again?
(a) Because he no longer has the guts to kill things
(b) Because he made a promise to God
(c) Because he is afraid of guns
(d) Because he knows how it feels
11. What does one of the fans of the other team do to make Tex jump him?
(a) Make a nasty comment about Jamie
(b) Make a nasty comment about Tex
(c) Make a nasty comment about Mason
(d) Make a nsaty comment about Pop
12. Why does Mason have a bandage on his head?
(a) Because he attacked the man who shot Tex
(b) Because he was in a fight after the basketball game
(c) Because he was shot too
(d) Because he attacked Lem
13. What revelation does Lem make about Mason?
(a) That he wants money not respect
(b) That he does not like Tex
(c) That he wants respect not money
(d) That he does not like Lem
14. From whom does Tex receive a letter?
15. What does Tex realize about Lem?
(a) That he is not that smart
(b) That he is just another person who will dump him
(c) That he only cares about himself
(d) That he is a trouble maker
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Tex and Mason decide to do as the book closes?
2. What does Tex indicate is the worst thing that could happen to the two of them?
3. Why don't the people Lem is talking to want Tex to go outside and wait?
4. What is the only thing that keeps Tex's mind off of his horse?
5. Why has Pop decided to come home?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)