|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tex begin walking down the freeway after fighting with his brother?
(a) To run away from home
(b) To find his father
(c) To find the horses
(d) To clear his head and think about things
2. Why does Tex increase his speed?
(a) To try to disarm the hitchhiker
(b) Because he sees police in his rearview mirror
(c) To give Mason a chance to escape
(d) To get to the state line faster
3. Which of the following characters is the protagonist in this novel?
4. Who is Tex going to the fair with?
(c) Bob and Johnny
5. Who do Mason and Tex think could be the next 'hitchhiker'?
6. What announcement does Mason and Tex's nighttime visitor share?
(a) Lem and his wife are going back to school
(b) Lem and his wife had a baby
(c) Lem and his wife are divorcing
(d) Lem and his wife are moving in with Tex and Mason
7. What happens on the drive back home from the city?
(a) Mason needs to stop to be ill by the side of the road
(b) Tex picks up a hitchhiker
(c) Tex gets a speeding ticket
(d) Tex and Mason give Jamie a ride back to her house
8. When does Mason think their father will return?
(b) Before Thanksgiving
(c) Next week
(d) In the spring
9. When does Tex think their father will return?
(a) In the spring
(c) Next week
(d) Before Thanksgiving
10. What did Tex's mother die from?
(a) Trampled by a horse
(b) Heart disease
(d) Broken neck
11. How does the vice principal generally respond when Tex is sent there?
(a) Does nothing as Tex rarely if ever gets in trouble
(b) Calls Mason to deal with him
(c) Scolds him
(d) Suspends him
12. Who is Tex chasing in his dreams?
13. What does Lem tell Mason and Tex he is doing for work?
(a) A go-between selling drugs
(b) Using welfare
(c) Working in a lumber yard
(d) Making illegal drugs
14. What is Tex's dream about?
(a) His father
(b) He is leaving the house
(c) His brother going to college
(d) His mother
15. Why is Tex sad when they leave Tex's house?
(a) Because he thinks he will never see him again
(b) Because he thinks Lem will be killed selling drugs
(c) Because he thinks Mason will be too sick for Tex to make it back to the city
(d) Because Lem will no longer want to see Tex or Mason
Short Answer Questions
1. What activity did Tex and Johnny spend a lot of time doing during the previous summer?
2. What causes Johnny and Tex to stop speaking for a period of time?
3. Which of the following characters is NOT a Collins?
4. Where do Tex and Mason decide to go before they leave the city and head home?
5. What does the hitchhiker tell Mason and Tex he has done?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)