|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tevye meets the two women in the forest, which is not one of the things he offers to sell them?
2. What does Shprintze ultimately do after she is heartbroken by Ahronchik?
3. What question about Mendle does Tevye ask Golde after he leaves their home?
4. What happens to Tevye when he stops to pray in the evening after hauling logs all day?
5. What do Tevye and his wife decide to buy with their reward from the rich Jew?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Beilke agree to marry Podhotzur even though she does not love him?
2. Why does Ahronchik's brother offer Tevye money to Shprintze?
3. What good deeds do the manor owners of Kodny do for the poor?
4. Describe the appearance of Ahronchik.
5. How doe Tevye and Menachem spend their evening together?
6. Why does Tevye try to avoid having discussions with the town Priest?
7. How does Golde regard Menachem?
8. Why does Tevye give Pertchik the nickname of Peppercorn?
9. When Tevye first learns of Chava's engagement, what does he do to take out his frustration?
10. How does the narrator describe the appearance of the man and woman salespeople he encounters on the train in Competitors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What type of dramatic or narrative structure does Aleichem utilize in "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories"? How is this structure unique and how does it contribute to the establishment of themes?
Essay Topic 2
How can the plot of Tevye and his family be seen as a paradigm of the fate of the Russian Jewry around the turn of the century?
Essay Topic 3
How can the character of Tevye be seen as an permutation of the biblical character of Job and how has Aleichem fostered this comparison through Tevye's experiences and outlook?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)