|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Gorky?
2. How many days do Tevye and Golde mourn Chava when they realize she isn't coming home?
3. Who wrote a letter for the happy man from Kodny to take to the professor?
4. Why does Tevye envy the young man Yisro-eyl?
5. When Tevye meets the two women in the forest, which is not one of the things he offers to sell them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Tevye initially want to take the two women he meets into the forest back to Boberick?
2. How do people treat Tevye different when he become rich from his reward from the two rescued women?
3. What are the ailments of the happy man from Kodny's son?
4. How does Tevye convince Golde that Tsaytl should marry Motl instead of Layzar?
5. Why does Beilke agree to marry Podhotzur even though she does not love him?
6. How does Moshke like to celebrate?
7. How does the narrator describe the appearance of the man and woman salespeople he encounters on the train in Competitors?
8. What does the term "meeting the train" mean?
9. When Tevye first learns of Chava's engagement, what does he do to take out his frustration?
10. Describe the appearance of the two women Tevye meets in the forest in Tevye Strikes It Rich.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Aleichem use the literary tool of dialogue to introduce new characters and establish themes? Is he effective in its use, why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories", much focus is given to the issues of right versus wrong. Using specific characters and situations, discuss how Aleichem highlights this dichotomy and specifically how the idea of right versus wrong relates to being piously religious or irreligious.
Essay Topic 3
How is the theme of greed displayed in "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories"? Use at least three textual examples to show what commentary Aleichem is making about this theme.
This section contains 1,383 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)