|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Chava in the priest's custody?
2. What items are Podhotzur's house full of?
3. Which is not one of the items mentioned as wares of the salespeople in The Competitors?
4. How much did Tevye get paid to drag logs from the forest to the train station every day?
5. What does Shprintze call Ahronchik?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the term "meeting the train" mean?
2. Why does the 60-year-old man tell the narrator a long story about how someone was tricked out of money playing cards?
3. Why does Ahronchik's brother offer Tevye money to Shprintze?
4. Describe the appearance of Danielchik.
5. Describe the appearance of the man who suggests they "pass the hat around," in the Competitors.
6. In The Automatic Exemption, when the father visits lawyers in Yehupetz and explains his predicament to them, why are they unable to give him advice?
7. What does Tevye plan to do when he finds that he is being expelled from the village?
8. What does the 60-year-old man do to giveaway his skill at cards?
9. What are the ailments of the happy man from Kodny's son?
10. Describe the appearance of Yoyl Tashker.
Essay Topic 1
How can the plot of Tevye and his family be seen as a paradigm of the fate of the Russian Jewry around the turn of the century?
Essay Topic 2
What type of dramatic or narrative structure does Aleichem utilize in "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories"? How is this structure unique and how does it contribute to the establishment of themes?
Essay Topic 3
How does Aleichem use the literary tool of dialogue to introduce new characters and establish themes? Is he effective in its use, why or why not?
This section contains 1,268 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)