|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What items are Podhotzur's house full of?
2. How much money does the man from Kodny offer the professor to see his son?
3. What is the name of the coachman who took Kivke to Germany?
4. Where is Ahronchik and his mother from?
5. Who does Tevye sell his house to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kivke threaten to do to Nissl Shapiro if he does not give him the 1000 rubles he requests?
2. Describe the appearance of the man who suggests they "pass the hat around," in the Competitors.
3. How doe Tevye and Menachem spend their evening together?
4. Why does Beilke agree to marry Podhotzur even though she does not love him?
5. Why does Ahronchik's brother offer Tevye money to Shprintze?
6. Why does Tevye try to avoid having discussions with the town Priest?
7. Describe the appearance of the two women Tevye meets in the forest in Tevye Strikes It Rich.
8. Why does Tevye like Pertchik?
9. How does Golde regard Menachem?
10. How does Tsaytl feel about the marrying Layzar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Aleichem draw attention to the generation gap between youth and their parents in this book, and what developments in the plot arise from the misunderstandings between generations?
Essay Topic 2
How does Aleichem depict violence, specifically the pogroms against the Jews, in "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories", and how does it affect the development of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
How does Aleichem utilize the literary technique of periphrasis throughout the novel to create believable narrators? How does this inclusion of periphrasis affect the pacing and tone of the stories?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)