|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tevye do when he meets Chava in the forest after her marriage?
2. What does Shprintze call Ahronchik?
3. What gift does the old woman offer to Tevye for bring her back to the dacha?
4. Why does Tevye go to see Layzar Wolf in Today's Children?
5. According to the narrator in The Happiest Man in All Kodny, when is the best time to travel by train?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Tevye initially want to take the two women he meets into the forest back to Boberick?
2. What type of welcome does Tevye receive when he goes to visit Beilke and Podhotzur after they return from their honeymoon?
3. What does Tevye plan to do when he finds that he is being expelled from the village?
4. When Tevye first learns of Chava's engagement, what does he do to take out his frustration?
5. How does Tevye react when he finds that Mendl has lost all of his money?
6. Describe the table that is set for the two women, when Tevye brings them back to the dacha in Boberick?
7. How does Tsaytl feel about the marrying Layzar?
8. Why does Tevye like Pertchik?
9. How does Golde regard Menachem?
10. How does Tevye convince Golde that Tsaytl should marry Motl instead of Layzar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is God portrayed in this book, specifically, and how is the relationship between God and man elucidated through the character of Tevye?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the point of view utilized by Aleichem in his stories. How does the type of narration and point of view affect the pacing of the plot and engage the reader? Make sure and specific textual examples to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 3
How is the relationship between Jews and Christians described in the book, and what theme arrives from the comparison of the two different religions?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)