|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mendl hide Tevye's money so that no one would steal it from him on his journey?
2. What is the name of the secret police spy who informed on so many revolutionaries that is being discussed at Baranovich Station?
3. How many rubles does Tevye come home with, after saving the two women from the forest?
4. What is the name of Borodenko's village?
5. What is the name of the happy man from Kodny?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tevye give Pertchik the nickname of Peppercorn?
2. Why doesn't Tevye initially want to take the two women he meets into the forest back to Boberick?
3. What is the misconception about the topic of conversation in Eighteen from Pereshchepena?
4. What are the ailments of the happy man from Kodny's son?
5. Describe the appearance of Motek.
6. How did Paysi's father die?
7. How does Moshke like to celebrate?
8. How do Moshke's neighbors respond when his store burns down a second time?
9. How doe Tevye and Menachem spend their evening together?
10. Describe the appearance of the reluctant Jew in The Tenth Man?
Essay Topic 1
Aleichem utilizes the literary tool of irony extensively throughout "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories". Using at least three textual examples, describe how Aleichem utilized irony to establish themes, strengthen characterizations and add humor.
Essay Topic 2
How is God portrayed in this book, specifically, and how is the relationship between God and man elucidated through the character of Tevye?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the point of view utilized by Aleichem in his stories. How does the type of narration and point of view affect the pacing of the plot and engage the reader? Make sure and specific textual examples to support your assertions.
This section contains 1,232 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)