|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What request does Tevye make from Pan Sholem Aleichem at the end of Tevye Strikes It Rich?
2. When Tevye returns from his meeting with Layzar, how does Golde initially react?
3. What question about Mendle does Tevye ask Golde after he leaves their home?
4. What does Tevye do when he meets Chava in the forest after her marriage?
5. After losing his fortune, what is Tevye's hope for the future?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tevye like Pertchik?
2. How does Tevye react when he finds that Mendl has lost all of his money?
3. Describe the appearance of Ahronchik.
4. Why does Tevye give Pertchik the nickname of Peppercorn?
5. What does Tsaytl beg her father for at the end of Lekh-Lekho?
6. Why does Beilke agree to marry Podhotzur even though she does not love him?
7. What are the ailments of the happy man from Kodny's son?
8. Why doesn't Tevye initially want to take the two women he meets into the forest back to Boberick?
9. Why does Ahronchik's brother offer Tevye money to Shprintze?
10. What good deeds do the manor owners of Kodny do for the poor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aleichem utilizes the literary tool of irony extensively throughout "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories". Using at least three textual examples, describe how Aleichem utilized irony to establish themes, strengthen characterizations and add humor.
Essay Topic 2
How does Aleichem depict the social issue of the unfair Russian drafting of Jews in his stories and what stance does Aleichem make about the concept?
Essay Topic 3
How does Aleichem utilize the literary tool of metaphor to establish the theme of good versus evil throughout "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories"?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)