|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes care of Tevye after his wife, Golde dies?
2. What are the two men discussing in Eighteen from Pereshchepena?
3. Where does Hodl go at the end of the chapter Hodl?
4. What does Shprintze ultimately do after she is heartbroken by Ahronchik?
5. Who suggests Podhotzur as a spouse for Beilke?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Tevye initially want to take the two women he meets into the forest back to Boberick?
2. What is the misconception about the topic of conversation in Eighteen from Pereshchepena?
3. What does Tevye plan to do when he finds that he is being expelled from the village?
4. Describe the table that is set for the two women, when Tevye brings them back to the dacha in Boberick?
5. Why does Tevye like Pertchik?
6. Why does Tevye give Pertchik the nickname of Peppercorn?
7. Describe the appearance of the man from Kaminka in Baranovich Station.
8. What good deeds do the manor owners of Kodny do for the poor?
9. What type of welcome does Tevye receive when he goes to visit Beilke and Podhotzur after they return from their honeymoon?
10. Why does Beilke agree to marry Podhotzur even though she does not love him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Aleichem reveal motives of protagonists in his stories? Using at least three different examples, discuss how Aleichem reveals the motives of the narrators and how those motives strengthen the characterizations.
Essay Topic 2
How does Aleichem establish money as a literary symbol in "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories" and what abstract meanings are represented by it?
Essay Topic 3
How does Aleichem depict the social issue of the unfair Russian drafting of Jews in his stories and what stance does Aleichem make about the concept?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)