|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does the man from Kodny offer the professor to see his son?
2. What relationship do the saleswoman and the salesman on the train have in the Competitors?
3. What dishes of Golde's does Tevye call "heaven on earth?"
4. What request does Tevye make from Pan Sholem Aleichem at the end of Tevye Strikes It Rich?
5. Where is Ahronchik and his mother from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How doe Tevye and Menachem spend their evening together?
2. Describe the appearance of the man from Kaminka in Baranovich Station.
3. How does the narrator describe the appearance of the man and woman salespeople he encounters on the train in Competitors?
4. Why doesn't Tevye initially want to take the two women he meets into the forest back to Boberick?
5. What are the ailments of the happy man from Kodny's son?
6. Why does Tevye like Pertchik?
7. What type of welcome does Tevye receive when he goes to visit Beilke and Podhotzur after they return from their honeymoon?
8. Describe the table that is set for the two women, when Tevye brings them back to the dacha in Boberick?
9. Describe the appearance of the man who suggests they "pass the hat around," in the Competitors.
10. Why does Beilke agree to marry Podhotzur even though she does not love him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of greed displayed in "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories"? Use at least three textual examples to show what commentary Aleichem is making about this theme.
Essay Topic 2
What is Sholem Aleichem's writing style? Discuss both the mechanical aspect of his writing and his "voice" throughout the novel. Make sure and discuss what literary tools and devices he relies on most and what specific parts of the text reflect his voice.
Essay Topic 3
How does Aleichem use the literary tool of dialogue to introduce new characters and establish themes? Is he effective in its use, why or why not?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)