|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Tevye, what is a "dog's age ago"?
2. How was Chvedka educated?
3. What is the name of the secret police spy who informed on so many revolutionaries that is being discussed at Baranovich Station?
4. Where doe Beilke and Podhotzur go on their honeymoon?
5. Where did the happy man from Kodny get his rubles to offer the professor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tevye like Pertchik?
2. What are the ailments of the happy man from Kodny's son?
3. Describe the appearance of the man who suggests they "pass the hat around," in the Competitors.
4. How does Tevye convince Golde that Tsaytl should marry Motl instead of Layzar?
5. What good deeds do the manor owners of Kodny do for the poor?
6. How does Tevye react when he finds that Mendl has lost all of his money?
7. What type of welcome does Tevye receive when he goes to visit Beilke and Podhotzur after they return from their honeymoon?
8. Why does Ahronchik's brother offer Tevye money to Shprintze?
9. What is the misconception about the topic of conversation in Eighteen from Pereshchepena?
10. How does Golde regard Menachem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the point of view utilized by Aleichem in his stories. How does the type of narration and point of view affect the pacing of the plot and engage the reader? Make sure and specific textual examples to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 2
How does Aleichem reveal motives of protagonists in his stories? Using at least three different examples, discuss how Aleichem reveals the motives of the narrators and how those motives strengthen the characterizations.
Essay Topic 3
How does Aleichem establish the theme of fate in "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories", and how does concept of fate differ between different characters in the book?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)