|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What service does Peppercorn give to Tevye in exchange for a hot meal?
2. Which is not one of the towns listed in Eighteen from Pereshchepena?
3. How does Beilke react when Tevye tells her that he is leaving for Palestine?
4. What class does the narrator generally take when he goes by trains?
5. Why does Tevye think that Podhotzur has summoned him to his house after his marriage to Beilke?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tsaytl feel about the marrying Layzar?
2. What does Tsaytl beg her father for at the end of Lekh-Lekho?
3. How do people treat Tevye different when he become rich from his reward from the two rescued women?
4. Describe the appearance of the two women Tevye meets in the forest in Tevye Strikes It Rich.
5. How does Golde regard Menachem?
6. How does the narrator describe the appearance of the man and woman salespeople he encounters on the train in Competitors?
7. Why does Tevye like Pertchik?
8. Why does Tevye give Pertchik the nickname of Peppercorn?
9. How does the rich Jew respond when Tevye requests three rubles as a reward for bringing the two women in from the forest?
10. What good deeds do the manor owners of Kodny do for the poor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Aleichem use the literary tool of dialogue to introduce new characters and establish themes? Is he effective in its use, why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How does Aleichem reveal motives of protagonists in his stories? Using at least three different examples, discuss how Aleichem reveals the motives of the narrators and how those motives strengthen the characterizations.
Essay Topic 3
How does Aleichem establish money as a literary symbol in "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories" and what abstract meanings are represented by it?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)