|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Tevye related to Menachem Mendl?
2. What service does Peppercorn give to Tevye in exchange for a hot meal?
3. How much money does Kivke request when he has been cheated by his father-in-law?
4. Which is not one of the items mentioned as wares of the salespeople in The Competitors?
5. How much money does the man from Kodny offer the professor to see his son?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the appearance of the man from Kaminka in Baranovich Station.
2. When Tevye first learns of Chava's engagement, what does he do to take out his frustration?
3. Describe the appearance of the man who suggests they "pass the hat around," in the Competitors.
4. How does the narrator describe the appearance of the man and woman salespeople he encounters on the train in Competitors?
5. Why does Beilke agree to marry Podhotzur even though she does not love him?
6. How does Golde regard Menachem?
7. What type of welcome does Tevye receive when he goes to visit Beilke and Podhotzur after they return from their honeymoon?
8. What good deeds do the manor owners of Kodny do for the poor?
9. How do people treat Tevye different when he become rich from his reward from the two rescued women?
10. What is the misconception about the topic of conversation in Eighteen from Pereshchepena?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Aleichem establish the theme of fate in "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories", and how does concept of fate differ between different characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
How does Aleichem reveal motives of protagonists in his stories? Using at least three different examples, discuss how Aleichem reveals the motives of the narrators and how those motives strengthen the characterizations.
Essay Topic 3
How can the character of Tevye be seen as an permutation of the biblical character of Job and how has Aleichem fostered this comparison through Tevye's experiences and outlook?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)