|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Tevye's Christian neighbors call him?
2. How much did Tevye get paid to drag logs from the forest to the train station every day?
3. What causes the saleswoman to sit down on her basket and cry into her shawl?
4. Why is Chava in the priest's custody?
5. Where did the happy man from Kodny get his rubles to offer the professor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the appearance of Ahronchik.
2. What causes the man from Pereshchepena to become irritated with the other two Jews?
3. Why does Beilke agree to marry Podhotzur even though she does not love him?
4. Why does Tevye like Pertchik?
5. How do people treat Tevye different when he become rich from his reward from the two rescued women?
6. Why does Tevye give Pertchik the nickname of Peppercorn?
7. Describe the appearance of the man who suggests they "pass the hat around," in the Competitors.
8. How does Golde regard Menachem?
9. How does Tevye react when he finds that Mendl has lost all of his money?
10. How does Tsaytl feel about the marrying Layzar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the relationship between Jews and Christians described in the book, and what theme arrives from the comparison of the two different religions?
Essay Topic 2
How can the character of Tevye be seen as an permutation of the biblical character of Job and how has Aleichem fostered this comparison through Tevye's experiences and outlook?
Essay Topic 3
In "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories", much focus is given to the issues of right versus wrong. Using specific characters and situations, discuss how Aleichem highlights this dichotomy and specifically how the idea of right versus wrong relates to being piously religious or irreligious.
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)