|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hodl go at the end of the chapter Hodl?
2. How much did Tevye get paid to drag logs from the forest to the train station every day?
3. Who does Golde have a dream about in Tevye Strikes It Rich that foreshadowed the milk cow Tevye was to receive?
4. How does Reb Nissl help Kivke avoid running the gauntlet?
5. What service does Peppercorn give to Tevye in exchange for a hot meal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Golde regard Menachem?
2. What causes the man from Pereshchepena to become irritated with the other two Jews?
3. Why does Tevye give Pertchik the nickname of Peppercorn?
4. What does Kivke threaten to do to Nissl Shapiro if he does not give him the 1000 rubles he requests?
5. Why doesn't Tevye initially want to take the two women he meets into the forest back to Boberick?
6. Why does Ahronchik's brother offer Tevye money to Shprintze?
7. Describe the table that is set for the two women, when Tevye brings them back to the dacha in Boberick?
8. Describe the appearance of the two women Tevye meets in the forest in Tevye Strikes It Rich.
9. What is the misconception about the topic of conversation in Eighteen from Pereshchepena?
10. How does the rich Jew respond when Tevye requests three rubles as a reward for bringing the two women in from the forest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the point of view utilized by Aleichem in his stories. How does the type of narration and point of view affect the pacing of the plot and engage the reader? Make sure and specific textual examples to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 2
How does Aleichem depict violence, specifically the pogroms against the Jews, in "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories", and how does it affect the development of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
How does Aleichem draw attention to the generation gap between youth and their parents in this book, and what developments in the plot arise from the misunderstandings between generations?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)