|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the profession of Motl Komzoyl, who Tsaytl want to marry?
2. What does Tevye do when he meets Chava in the forest after her marriage?
3. What does Shprintze call Ahronchik?
4. How much money does the man from Kodny offer the professor to see his son?
5. Who does Golde have a dream about in Tevye Strikes It Rich that foreshadowed the milk cow Tevye was to receive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ahronchik's brother offer Tevye money to Shprintze?
2. Why doesn't Tevye initially want to take the two women he meets into the forest back to Boberick?
3. Describe the appearance of the two women Tevye meets in the forest in Tevye Strikes It Rich.
4. Describe the appearance of the man from Kaminka in Baranovich Station.
5. What does Tevye plan to do when he finds that he is being expelled from the village?
6. Why does Tevye like Pertchik?
7. Why does Beilke agree to marry Podhotzur even though she does not love him?
8. How does the rich Jew respond when Tevye requests three rubles as a reward for bringing the two women in from the forest?
9. Describe the table that is set for the two women, when Tevye brings them back to the dacha in Boberick?
10. How doe Tevye and Menachem spend their evening together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What type of dramatic or narrative structure does Aleichem utilize in "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories"? How is this structure unique and how does it contribute to the establishment of themes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the point of view utilized by Aleichem in his stories. How does the type of narration and point of view affect the pacing of the plot and engage the reader? Make sure and specific textual examples to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 3
How is the relationship between Jews and Christians described in the book, and what theme arrives from the comparison of the two different religions?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)