|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days do Tevye and Golde mourn Chava when they realize she isn't coming home?
2. What does Tevye take with him when he goes to Yehupetz to look for Mendl?
3. Where does Mendl hide Tevye's money so that no one would steal it from him on his journey?
4. What do Tevye's Christian neighbors call him?
5. How much money does Kivke request when he has been cheated by his father-in-law?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tevye convince Golde that Tsaytl should marry Motl instead of Layzar?
2. Describe the appearance of the man from Kaminka in Baranovich Station.
3. What does Tsaytl beg her father for at the end of Lekh-Lekho?
4. What type of welcome does Tevye receive when he goes to visit Beilke and Podhotzur after they return from their honeymoon?
5. How does Golde regard Menachem?
6. What are the ailments of the happy man from Kodny's son?
7. Why does Ahronchik's brother offer Tevye money to Shprintze?
8. Describe the appearance of the man who suggests they "pass the hat around," in the Competitors.
9. What does Kivke threaten to do to Nissl Shapiro if he does not give him the 1000 rubles he requests?
10. How doe Tevye and Menachem spend their evening together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Aleichem establish money as a literary symbol in "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories" and what abstract meanings are represented by it?
Essay Topic 2
How does Aleichem utilize the literary tool of metaphor to establish the theme of good versus evil throughout "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories"?
Essay Topic 3
How does Aleichem draw attention to the generation gap between youth and their parents in this book, and what developments in the plot arise from the misunderstandings between generations?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)