|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Tevye's Christian neighbors call him?
2. How much money does Kivke request when he has been cheated by his father-in-law?
3. What do Tevye and his wife decide to buy with their reward from the rich Jew?
4. Who suggests Podhotzur as a spouse for Beilke?
5. How many times does Tevye count his money before he gives it to Mendl?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the table that is set for the two women, when Tevye brings them back to the dacha in Boberick?
2. How do people treat Tevye different when he become rich from his reward from the two rescued women?
3. Describe the appearance of the man from Kaminka in Baranovich Station.
4. What causes the man from Pereshchepena to become irritated with the other two Jews?
5. How does Tevye convince Golde that Tsaytl should marry Motl instead of Layzar?
6. How was Motek able to emigrate to Buenos Aires?
7. How does Golde regard Menachem?
8. When Tevye first learns of Chava's engagement, what does he do to take out his frustration?
9. How does Moyshe-Nachman regard the affair of the arrest of his brother-in-law?
10. Why does Tevye give Pertchik the nickname of Peppercorn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Aleichem utilize the literary tool of metaphor to establish the theme of good versus evil throughout "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories"?
Essay Topic 2
What type of dramatic or narrative structure does Aleichem utilize in "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories"? How is this structure unique and how does it contribute to the establishment of themes?
Essay Topic 3
How is God portrayed in this book, specifically, and how is the relationship between God and man elucidated through the character of Tevye?
This section contains 1,266 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)