|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Tevye's Christian neighbors call him?
2. How does Reb Nissl help Kivke avoid running the gauntlet?
3. Which is not one of the items mentioned as wares of the salespeople in The Competitors?
4. Who wrote a letter for the happy man from Kodny to take to the professor?
5. How much money does Kivke request from Kaminka for a dowry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the appearance of the man from Kaminka in Baranovich Station.
2. Why does Beilke agree to marry Podhotzur even though she does not love him?
3. What is the misconception about the topic of conversation in Eighteen from Pereshchepena?
4. What does Tsaytl beg her father for at the end of Lekh-Lekho?
5. How doe Tevye and Menachem spend their evening together?
6. What does Tevye plan to do when he finds that he is being expelled from the village?
7. Describe the appearance of Ahronchik.
8. How does Golde regard Menachem?
9. How do people treat Tevye different when he become rich from his reward from the two rescued women?
10. How does Tevye react when he finds that Mendl has lost all of his money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the relationship between Jews and Christians described in the book, and what theme arrives from the comparison of the two different religions?
Essay Topic 2
How can the plot of Tevye and his family be seen as a paradigm of the fate of the Russian Jewry around the turn of the century?
Essay Topic 3
How does Aleichem establish the theme of fate in "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories", and how does concept of fate differ between different characters in the book?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)