|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Vera do on her first exams in Chapter 10?
2. Who did Sir Percy Harris work for?
3. What was the title of Vera's published novel?
4. In Chapter 11, what is said to have been spreading through Europe?
5. What did Vera find her students were interested in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Vera pursue her interest in writing in Chapter 10?
2. In Chapter 8, where did Vera ask to be sent for her next nursing assignment?
3. After returning from Europe, what was Vera's main source of income? What were Vera's career ambitions?
4. Why did Vera and Betty grow apart in Malta?
5. On what topic did Vera become an accomplished speaker? How in-demand was she as a lecturer?
6. What did Vera find out when she reapplied for foreign service in Chapter 9?
7. What was life at Etaples like for Vera?
8. Why was Edward agitated in Chapter 8?
9. In Chapter 11, what were Vera's thoughts on marriage?
10. How did the process of getting their novels published go for Vera and Winifred?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of fear in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of fear in the book? What was Brittain afraid of and why? How did this affect her? How did she deal with her fears? Were her fears realized?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Brittain's life during the war. How did the war affect Brittain? What struggles did Brittain face during the war? How did the war change Brittain's world?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of discrimination in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of discrimination in the book? What discrimination did Brittain face, particularly in regards to her education? How did she handle this discrimination?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)