|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Resulting from the societal changes around 1919, what was Vera able to do in Chapter 10?
2. Who did Sir Percy Harris work for?
3. In Chapter 9, what did the letters from Etaples tell Vera?
4. How long did Vera spend submitting her first novel to publishers?
5. What did Vera's school allow for the first time after the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Vera travel back to England for a visit in Chapter 7?
2. Where did Vera and Winifred decide to travel to in Chapter 11 and why?
3. What became of Vera's friends Victor and Geoffrey in Chapter 7?
4. Why did Vera and Betty grow apart in Malta?
5. What did Oxford allow for the first time after the war, and what did Vera think of this?
6. In Chapter 8, where did Vera ask to be sent for her next nursing assignment?
7. After returning from Europe, what was Vera's main source of income? What were Vera's career ambitions?
8. What was the title of Vera's published novel and what was it about?
9. What was Vera's first assignment upon arriving at the hospital in France?
10. What did Roland's mother help Vera to do in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of discrimination in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of discrimination in the book? What discrimination did Brittain face, particularly in regards to her education? How did she handle this discrimination?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of death in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of death in the autobiography? Who died and how did why? How did Brittain handle these deaths? How did they affect her?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the conclusion of the autobiography Testament of Youth. How did Brittain choose to end the book? Why might she have decided to end the book at this point? Does the book tie up all loose ends? Are there any surprises at the end? Are there any unanswered questions?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)