|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vera decide to never mention at school?
2. What was the name of the hospital where Vera worked at her foreign post?
3. How long did Vera spend submitting her first novel to publishers?
4. Where did Vera and Winifred decide to travel together?
5. In Chapter 11, what idea had Vera more or less accepted?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 11, what were Vera's thoughts on marriage?
2. What controversy did Vera become involved in in Chapter 10. Who did she meet as a result?
3. How did Vera and Winifred's odd work schedules cause them problems in Chapter 11?
4. In Chapter 8, where did Vera ask to be sent for her next nursing assignment?
5. How did the process of getting their novels published go for Vera and Winifred?
6. On what topic did Vera become an accomplished speaker? How in-demand was she as a lecturer?
7. What was life at Etaples like for Vera?
8. How did Vera travel back to England for a visit in Chapter 7?
9. Why was Edward agitated in Chapter 8?
10. What became of Vera's friends Victor and Geoffrey in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of discrimination in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of discrimination in the book? What discrimination did Brittain face, particularly in regards to her education? How did she handle this discrimination?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the book. Why is the setting of "Testament of Youth" an important element of the book? Why was this time and place so influential on Brittain's life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Brittain's life during the war. How did the war affect Brittain? What struggles did Brittain face during the war? How did the war change Brittain's world?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)