|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Vera take a teaching job?
2. What did Vera earn her income from?
3. What was the name of the hospital where Vera worked at her foreign post?
4. In what month did Vera leave Millbank?
5. Who did Vera get to meet as a result of her writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Vera's first assignment upon arriving at the hospital in France?
2. What legislation was passed in England around 1919? How did Vera benefit from this?
3. What was the title of Vera's published novel and what was it about?
4. What was life at Etaples like for Vera?
5. What did Vera hope to find on her European trip?
6. Who was Sir Percy Harris? What position did he offer Vera?
7. What became of Vera's friends Victor and Geoffrey in Chapter 7?
8. What did students who had been involved with the war find hard to adjust to at Oxford?
9. Why did Vera and Betty grow apart in Malta?
10. After returning from Europe, what was Vera's main source of income? What were Vera's career ambitions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Outline the career of the author of the autobiography Testament of Youth. What other works did Brittain do? What organizations did Brittain become involved with that influenced her work?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of death in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of death in the autobiography? Who died and how did why? How did Brittain handle these deaths? How did they affect her?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret Brittain's family. Describe the members of her immediate family, as well as Brittain's relationship with each member. What conflicts did Brittain have with her family?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)