|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vera and Winifred often have to do because of their jobs?
2. Who mainly was treated at the hospital Vera began working at in Chapter 7?
3. Who did Vera get to meet as a result of her writing?
4. What kind of rules still existed at Vera's school?
5. Where did Vera and Winifred find a new flat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Edward agitated in Chapter 8?
2. In Chapter 8, where did Vera ask to be sent for her next nursing assignment?
3. How did Vera pursue her interest in writing in Chapter 10?
4. What did Oxford allow for the first time after the war, and what did Vera think of this?
5. After returning from Europe, what was Vera's main source of income? What were Vera's career ambitions?
6. What did Vera find out when she reapplied for foreign service in Chapter 9?
7. In Chapter 11, what were Vera's thoughts on marriage?
8. Why did Vera and Betty grow apart in Malta?
9. After the Armistice, what did Vera spend a lot of time thinking about?
10. Who did Vera clash with in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of death in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of death in the autobiography? Who died and how did why? How did Brittain handle these deaths? How did they affect her?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the conclusion of the autobiography Testament of Youth. How did Brittain choose to end the book? Why might she have decided to end the book at this point? Does the book tie up all loose ends? Are there any surprises at the end? Are there any unanswered questions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the struggles faced by Brittain in the book. What struggles did she face in regards to her education? The war? Her family? Her writing?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)