|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vera feel she had to lecture about?
2. How did Vera travel back to England in Chapter 7?
3. What did Vera spend a lot of time thinking about after the Armistice?
4. What was the title of Vera's published novel?
5. Where did Vera and Winifred decide to travel together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Oxford allow for the first time after the war, and what did Vera think of this?
2. Who was Sir Percy Harris? What position did he offer Vera?
3. Who did Vera clash with in Chapter 10?
4. What became of Vera's friends Victor and Geoffrey in Chapter 7?
5. How did the process of getting their novels published go for Vera and Winifred?
6. What did Roland's mother help Vera to do in Chapter 9?
7. What was life at Etaples like for Vera?
8. After the Armistice, what did Vera spend a lot of time thinking about?
9. In Chapter 8, where did Vera ask to be sent for her next nursing assignment?
10. What did Vera hope to find on her European trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret Brittain's nursing period. Why did she become a nurse? How did she react to the horrors she saw? How did this period of her life affect her? What are some different places she went as a nurse? What are some struggles she faced while nursing?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conflicts in the autobiography. Who does Brittain have conflict with and why? How does she deal with these conflicts? What causes these conflicts? How do they affect her life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Brittain's education. Why did Brittain want to gain an education? Why was this a struggle to do? What problems did she face during her education?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)