|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vera earn her income from?
2. What got lost in Chapter 8?
3. Where did Vera and Winifred decide to travel together?
4. What did Vera make notes for in Chapter 10?
5. What did Sir Percy Harris want to hire Vera as?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Vera hope to find on her European trip?
2. What controversy did Vera become involved in in Chapter 10. Who did she meet as a result?
3. What did Oxford allow for the first time after the war, and what did Vera think of this?
4. Why was Edward agitated in Chapter 8?
5. Where did Vera live while working at St. Jude's?
6. What news did Vera receive from Etaples in Chapter 9?
7. What did Vera find out when she reapplied for foreign service in Chapter 9?
8. Who did Vera clash with in Chapter 10?
9. What was Vera's first assignment upon arriving at the hospital in France?
10. What legislation was passed in England around 1919? How did Vera benefit from this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of separation in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of separation in the book? Who was Brittain separated from and why? How did these separations affect her and her life path?
Essay Topic 2
What is feminism and what issues were at the core of feminism during the first quarter of the 20th century? What were Brittain's viewpoints in regards to feminism? What feminist groups did she join?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of fear in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of fear in the book? What was Brittain afraid of and why? How did this affect her? How did she deal with her fears? Were her fears realized?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)