|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who looked down on the V.A.D.s at the civilian hospital in Chapter 9?
2. On what topic did Vera become an accomplished lecturer?
3. What subject did Vera switch to when she returned to Somerville?
4. Where was Queen Alexandra's Hospital located?
5. Why did Vera ask for leave at the end of Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What legislation was passed in England around 1919? How did Vera benefit from this?
2. What did Vera hope to find on her European trip?
3. What did students who had been involved with the war find hard to adjust to at Oxford?
4. Why did Vera and Betty grow apart in Malta?
5. How did the process of getting their novels published go for Vera and Winifred?
6. Why was Edward agitated in Chapter 8?
7. After returning from Europe, what was Vera's main source of income? What were Vera's career ambitions?
8. What was the title of Vera's published novel and what was it about?
9. Where did Vera live while working at St. Jude's?
10. Where did Vera and Winifred decide to travel to in Chapter 11 and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret Brittain's family. Describe the members of her immediate family, as well as Brittain's relationship with each member. What conflicts did Brittain have with her family?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret Brittain's nursing period. Why did she become a nurse? How did she react to the horrors she saw? How did this period of her life affect her? What are some different places she went as a nurse? What are some struggles she faced while nursing?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Brittain's life during the war. How did the war affect Brittain? What struggles did Brittain face during the war? How did the war change Brittain's world?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)