|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Vera take a teaching job?
2. Who helped Vera publish her work?
3. Why did Vera ask for leave at the end of Chapter 8?
4. In Chapter 11, what idea had Vera more or less accepted?
5. What is a charlady?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Vera and Winifred decide to travel to in Chapter 11 and why?
2. What was life at Etaples like for Vera?
3. What became of Vera's friends Victor and Geoffrey in Chapter 7?
4. What did Vera hope to find on her European trip?
5. What controversy did Vera become involved in in Chapter 10. Who did she meet as a result?
6. In Chapter 11, what were Vera's thoughts on marriage?
7. How did Vera and Winifred's odd work schedules cause them problems in Chapter 11?
8. In Chapter 8, where did Vera ask to be sent for her next nursing assignment?
9. Who did Vera clash with in Chapter 10?
10. What was the title of Vera's published novel and what was it about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of separation in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of separation in the book? Who was Brittain separated from and why? How did these separations affect her and her life path?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Brittain's education. Why did Brittain want to gain an education? Why was this a struggle to do? What problems did she face during her education?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of fear in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of fear in the book? What was Brittain afraid of and why? How did this affect her? How did she deal with her fears? Were her fears realized?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)