|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 11, what is said to have been spreading through Europe?
2. In Chapter 9, what did the letters from Etaples tell Vera?
3. Which exam did Vera pass in Chapter 10?
4. What got lost in Chapter 8?
5. Where did Vera take a teaching job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was life at Etaples like for Vera?
2. What did Oxford allow for the first time after the war, and what did Vera think of this?
3. Where did Vera and Winifred decide to travel to in Chapter 11 and why?
4. Who was Sir Percy Harris? What position did he offer Vera?
5. After the Armistice, what did Vera spend a lot of time thinking about?
6. What did Roland's mother help Vera to do in Chapter 9?
7. What was the title of Vera's published novel and what was it about?
8. In Chapter 11, what were Vera's thoughts on marriage?
9. What did Vera find out when she reapplied for foreign service in Chapter 9?
10. Where did Vera live while working at St. Jude's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Brittain's writing. When did she start writing? What genre did she often write in? What struggles did she face as a writer? What were some of her successes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the struggles faced by Brittain in the book. What struggles did she face in regards to her education? The war? Her family? Her writing?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret Brittain's family. Describe the members of her immediate family, as well as Brittain's relationship with each member. What conflicts did Brittain have with her family?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)