|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Vera get to meet as a result of her writing?
2. Who did Vera live with after finishing school?
3. For how many years did Vera lecture on her specialist subject?
4. What was the title of Vera's published novel?
5. Where did Vera meet with Oswaldo Giacoma?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did students who had been involved with the war find hard to adjust to at Oxford?
2. How did Vera pursue her interest in writing in Chapter 10?
3. How did the process of getting their novels published go for Vera and Winifred?
4. On what topic did Vera become an accomplished speaker? How in-demand was she as a lecturer?
5. What did Vera hope to find on her European trip?
6. After the Armistice, what did Vera spend a lot of time thinking about?
7. Who was Sir Percy Harris? What position did he offer Vera?
8. How did Vera travel to Malta? What worried Vera during her journey to Malta?
9. What legislation was passed in England around 1919? How did Vera benefit from this?
10. After returning from Europe, what was Vera's main source of income? What were Vera's career ambitions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the male and female place in society during the first quarter of the 20th century. How did the woman's place in society restrict the ambitions of Brittain? How had the gender roles changed post-war?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the conclusion of the autobiography Testament of Youth. How did Brittain choose to end the book? Why might she have decided to end the book at this point? Does the book tie up all loose ends? Are there any surprises at the end? Are there any unanswered questions?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret Brittain's nursing period. Why did she become a nurse? How did she react to the horrors she saw? How did this period of her life affect her? What are some different places she went as a nurse? What are some struggles she faced while nursing?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)