|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ship did Vera and Betty take to their foreign post?
2. Who did Vera get to meet as a result of her writing?
3. Resulting from the societal changes around 1919, what was Vera able to do in Chapter 10?
4. Where did Vera and Winifred find a new flat?
5. How many weeks did Vera spend travelling through Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news did Vera receive from Etaples in Chapter 9?
2. Why was Edward agitated in Chapter 8?
3. How did Vera travel to Malta? What worried Vera during her journey to Malta?
4. Where did Vera live while working at St. Jude's?
5. What was life at Etaples like for Vera?
6. On what topic did Vera become an accomplished speaker? How in-demand was she as a lecturer?
7. Why did Vera and Betty grow apart in Malta?
8. Who did Vera clash with in Chapter 10?
9. What did Vera hope to find on her European trip?
10. Who was Sir Percy Harris? What position did he offer Vera?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe a few of the anecdotes that Brittain shares with the reader. Why did she choose to include these anecdotes and what is their significance?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the conclusion of the autobiography Testament of Youth. How did Brittain choose to end the book? Why might she have decided to end the book at this point? Does the book tie up all loose ends? Are there any surprises at the end? Are there any unanswered questions?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Brittain and Roland. How did they meet? How did they feel for one another? What struggles did they face throughout their relationship? How did Brittain deal with Roland's death?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)