|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helped Vera publish her work?
2. What did Vera make notes for in Chapter 10?
3. What worried Vera during her voyage to her foreign post?
4. Who did Vera visit in hospitals in Chapter 9?
5. On what topic did Vera become an accomplished lecturer?
Short Essay Questions
1. On what topic did Vera become an accomplished speaker? How in-demand was she as a lecturer?
2. How did the process of getting their novels published go for Vera and Winifred?
3. What did Roland's mother help Vera to do in Chapter 9?
4. What was the title of Vera's published novel and what was it about?
5. What legislation was passed in England around 1919? How did Vera benefit from this?
6. Who did Vera clash with in Chapter 10?
7. What became of Vera's friends Victor and Geoffrey in Chapter 7?
8. What did Vera hope to find on her European trip?
9. What was Vera's first assignment upon arriving at the hospital in France?
10. After the Armistice, what did Vera spend a lot of time thinking about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the book. Why is the setting of "Testament of Youth" an important element of the book? Why was this time and place so influential on Brittain's life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of discrimination in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of discrimination in the book? What discrimination did Brittain face, particularly in regards to her education? How did she handle this discrimination?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of death in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of death in the autobiography? Who died and how did why? How did Brittain handle these deaths? How did they affect her?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)