|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After her brother's death, what did Vera publish?
2. Why did Vera and Winifred's charlady quit?
3. Who did Vera live with after finishing school?
4. Compared to Malta, why did Vera like her new work post in Chapter 8?
5. What did Vera feel she had to lecture about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Sir Percy Harris? What position did he offer Vera?
2. Why was Edward agitated in Chapter 8?
3. How did Vera travel to Malta? What worried Vera during her journey to Malta?
4. What was Vera's first assignment upon arriving at the hospital in France?
5. What did Vera find out when she reapplied for foreign service in Chapter 9?
6. What legislation was passed in England around 1919? How did Vera benefit from this?
7. After the Armistice, what did Vera spend a lot of time thinking about?
8. What did Roland's mother help Vera to do in Chapter 9?
9. What did Oxford allow for the first time after the war, and what did Vera think of this?
10. What did students who had been involved with the war find hard to adjust to at Oxford?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of death in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of death in the autobiography? Who died and how did why? How did Brittain handle these deaths? How did they affect her?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of fear in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of fear in the book? What was Brittain afraid of and why? How did this affect her? How did she deal with her fears? Were her fears realized?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of separation in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of separation in the book? Who was Brittain separated from and why? How did these separations affect her and her life path?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)