|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who mainly was treated at the hospital Vera began working at in Chapter 7?
2. What did Vera hope to find when she went to Europe?
3. In Chapter 7, who died in April?
4. What did Vera want a career as?
5. What did Vera find her students were interested in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What legislation was passed in England around 1919? How did Vera benefit from this?
2. Who was Sir Percy Harris? What position did he offer Vera?
3. Why did Vera and Betty grow apart in Malta?
4. Why was Edward agitated in Chapter 8?
5. How did the process of getting their novels published go for Vera and Winifred?
6. How did Vera travel back to England for a visit in Chapter 7?
7. In Chapter 8, where did Vera ask to be sent for her next nursing assignment?
8. How did Vera pursue her interest in writing in Chapter 10?
9. What did students who had been involved with the war find hard to adjust to at Oxford?
10. After returning from Europe, what was Vera's main source of income? What were Vera's career ambitions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of separation in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of separation in the book? Who was Brittain separated from and why? How did these separations affect her and her life path?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of death in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of death in the autobiography? Who died and how did why? How did Brittain handle these deaths? How did they affect her?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of discrimination in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of discrimination in the book? What discrimination did Brittain face, particularly in regards to her education? How did she handle this discrimination?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)