|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how many years did Vera lecture on her specialist subject?
2. In Chapter 9, where were the nurses in Etaples said to have been sleeping?
3. What did a cable that Vera received in Chapter 7 say?
4. Who did Sir Percy Harris work for?
5. On what topic did Vera become an accomplished lecturer?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 11, what were Vera's thoughts on marriage?
2. What was Vera's first assignment upon arriving at the hospital in France?
3. What did Vera hope to find on her European trip?
4. In Chapter 8, where did Vera ask to be sent for her next nursing assignment?
5. What news did Vera receive from Etaples in Chapter 9?
6. What became of Vera's friends Victor and Geoffrey in Chapter 7?
7. After the Armistice, what did Vera spend a lot of time thinking about?
8. After returning from Europe, what was Vera's main source of income? What were Vera's career ambitions?
9. Who did Vera clash with in Chapter 10?
10. Why did Vera and Betty grow apart in Malta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret Brittain's nursing period. Why did she become a nurse? How did she react to the horrors she saw? How did this period of her life affect her? What are some different places she went as a nurse? What are some struggles she faced while nursing?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of discrimination in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of discrimination in the book? What discrimination did Brittain face, particularly in regards to her education? How did she handle this discrimination?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Brittain and Roland. How did they meet? How did they feel for one another? What struggles did they face throughout their relationship? How did Brittain deal with Roland's death?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)