|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many weeks did Vera spend travelling through Europe?
2. Where did Vera take a teaching job?
3. What ship did Vera and Betty take to their foreign post?
4. What was Vera ill with after returning from Italy?
5. In Chapter 9, where were the nurses in Etaples said to have been sleeping?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Vera and Betty grow apart in Malta?
2. How did Vera pursue her interest in writing in Chapter 10?
3. What did Roland's mother help Vera to do in Chapter 9?
4. Why was Edward agitated in Chapter 8?
5. What did Vera hope to find on her European trip?
6. Where did Vera and Winifred decide to travel to in Chapter 11 and why?
7. What news did Vera receive from Etaples in Chapter 9?
8. Who was Sir Percy Harris? What position did he offer Vera?
9. What became of Vera's friends Victor and Geoffrey in Chapter 7?
10. In Chapter 8, where did Vera ask to be sent for her next nursing assignment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Brittain's education. Why did Brittain want to gain an education? Why was this a struggle to do? What problems did she face during her education?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the male and female place in society during the first quarter of the 20th century. How did the woman's place in society restrict the ambitions of Brittain? How had the gender roles changed post-war?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the social classes in England during this time period, particularly the social class in which Brittain was a part. How did her social class affect her education and time during the war? How did it influence the views of her parents and others around her?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)