|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vera have published in Chapter 10?
2. In Chapter 9, what did the letters from Etaples tell Vera?
3. Where did Vera take a teaching job?
4. How long did Vera spend submitting her first novel to publishers?
5. What got lost in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. After returning from Europe, what was Vera's main source of income? What were Vera's career ambitions?
2. How did Vera travel back to England for a visit in Chapter 7?
3. What was the title of Vera's published novel and what was it about?
4. Why was Edward agitated in Chapter 8?
5. Who was Sir Percy Harris? What position did he offer Vera?
6. What did Oxford allow for the first time after the war, and what did Vera think of this?
7. In Chapter 11, what were Vera's thoughts on marriage?
8. How did Vera travel to Malta? What worried Vera during her journey to Malta?
9. Where did Vera and Winifred decide to travel to in Chapter 11 and why?
10. What legislation was passed in England around 1919? How did Vera benefit from this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the struggles faced by Brittain in the book. What struggles did she face in regards to her education? The war? Her family? Her writing?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of separation in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of separation in the book? Who was Brittain separated from and why? How did these separations affect her and her life path?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the male and female place in society during the first quarter of the 20th century. How did the woman's place in society restrict the ambitions of Brittain? How had the gender roles changed post-war?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)