|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Sir Percy Harris want to hire Vera as?
2. What did Vera spend a lot of time thinking about after the Armistice?
3. What was Vera's published novel about?
4. What did Vera want a career as?
5. After her brother's death, what did Vera publish?
Short Essay Questions
1. What legislation was passed in England around 1919? How did Vera benefit from this?
2. What news did Vera receive from Etaples in Chapter 9?
3. What did Roland's mother help Vera to do in Chapter 9?
4. In Chapter 8, where did Vera ask to be sent for her next nursing assignment?
5. What became of Vera's friends Victor and Geoffrey in Chapter 7?
6. What was life at Etaples like for Vera?
7. What was Vera's first assignment upon arriving at the hospital in France?
8. In Chapter 11, what were Vera's thoughts on marriage?
9. What controversy did Vera become involved in in Chapter 10. Who did she meet as a result?
10. Where did Vera live while working at St. Jude's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret Brittain's nursing period. Why did she become a nurse? How did she react to the horrors she saw? How did this period of her life affect her? What are some different places she went as a nurse? What are some struggles she faced while nursing?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of discrimination in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of discrimination in the book? What discrimination did Brittain face, particularly in regards to her education? How did she handle this discrimination?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Brittain's life during the war. How did the war affect Brittain? What struggles did Brittain face during the war? How did the war change Brittain's world?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)