|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Vera do on her first exams in Chapter 10?
2. Where did Vera take her mother after returning to England in Chapter 9?
3. How many weeks did Vera spend travelling through Europe?
4. Why did Vera and Betty grow apart in Chapter 7?
5. What was Vera ill with after returning from Italy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Vera clash with in Chapter 10?
2. Where did Vera and Winifred decide to travel to in Chapter 11 and why?
3. What did Oxford allow for the first time after the war, and what did Vera think of this?
4. In Chapter 11, what were Vera's thoughts on marriage?
5. What was life at Etaples like for Vera?
6. How did the process of getting their novels published go for Vera and Winifred?
7. On what topic did Vera become an accomplished speaker? How in-demand was she as a lecturer?
8. What did Vera find out when she reapplied for foreign service in Chapter 9?
9. In Chapter 8, where did Vera ask to be sent for her next nursing assignment?
10. What became of Vera's friends Victor and Geoffrey in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Brittain's life during the war. How did the war affect Brittain? What struggles did Brittain face during the war? How did the war change Brittain's world?
Essay Topic 2
What is feminism and what issues were at the core of feminism during the first quarter of the 20th century? What were Brittain's viewpoints in regards to feminism? What feminist groups did she join?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Brittain's writing. When did she start writing? What genre did she often write in? What struggles did she face as a writer? What were some of her successes?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)