|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vera want a career as?
2. What was Vera ill with after returning from Italy?
3. What did Vera call her new roommate in Chapter 8?
4. In Chapter 11, what is said to have been spreading through Europe?
5. What was the name of the town Vera was sent to for her next nursing assignment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news did Vera receive from Etaples in Chapter 9?
2. What legislation was passed in England around 1919? How did Vera benefit from this?
3. What did Vera find out when she reapplied for foreign service in Chapter 9?
4. What did Roland's mother help Vera to do in Chapter 9?
5. What was Vera's first assignment upon arriving at the hospital in France?
6. Who did Vera clash with in Chapter 10?
7. How did Vera pursue her interest in writing in Chapter 10?
8. How did the process of getting their novels published go for Vera and Winifred?
9. Where did Vera live while working at St. Jude's?
10. Where did Vera and Winifred decide to travel to in Chapter 11 and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret Brittain's family. Describe the members of her immediate family, as well as Brittain's relationship with each member. What conflicts did Brittain have with her family?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of death in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of death in the autobiography? Who died and how did why? How did Brittain handle these deaths? How did they affect her?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of ambition in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of ambition in the book? Was Brittain an ambitious person? Why or why not? What were her goals and dreams? How did she go about achieving them, and was she successful?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)