|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness did Vera contract shortly after arriving at her foreign post?
2. Which exam did Vera pass in Chapter 10?
3. What did Vera earn her income from?
4. On what topic did Vera become an accomplished lecturer?
5. Who did Vera visit in hospitals in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Vera travel back to England for a visit in Chapter 7?
2. Where did Vera and Winifred decide to travel to in Chapter 11 and why?
3. In Chapter 11, what were Vera's thoughts on marriage?
4. After returning from Europe, what was Vera's main source of income? What were Vera's career ambitions?
5. What did Vera hope to find on her European trip?
6. Who did Vera clash with in Chapter 10?
7. What did Vera find out when she reapplied for foreign service in Chapter 9?
8. What did students who had been involved with the war find hard to adjust to at Oxford?
9. What legislation was passed in England around 1919? How did Vera benefit from this?
10. On what topic did Vera become an accomplished speaker? How in-demand was she as a lecturer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe a few of the anecdotes that Brittain shares with the reader. Why did she choose to include these anecdotes and what is their significance?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of ambition in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of ambition in the book? Was Brittain an ambitious person? Why or why not? What were her goals and dreams? How did she go about achieving them, and was she successful?
Essay Topic 3
What is feminism and what issues were at the core of feminism during the first quarter of the 20th century? What were Brittain's viewpoints in regards to feminism? What feminist groups did she join?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)