|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Vera think Winifred viewed her?
2. In Chapter 9, what did the letters from Etaples tell Vera?
3. What did Vera have published in Chapter 10?
4. For how many years did Vera lecture on her specialist subject?
5. Where was Queen Alexandra's Hospital located?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Vera and Winifred's odd work schedules cause them problems in Chapter 11?
2. What news did Vera receive from Etaples in Chapter 9?
3. Who was Sir Percy Harris? What position did he offer Vera?
4. Who did Vera clash with in Chapter 10?
5. How did the process of getting their novels published go for Vera and Winifred?
6. What was Vera's first assignment upon arriving at the hospital in France?
7. What did Vera find out when she reapplied for foreign service in Chapter 9?
8. In Chapter 11, what were Vera's thoughts on marriage?
9. Where did Vera live while working at St. Jude's?
10. What legislation was passed in England around 1919? How did Vera benefit from this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Brittain's writing. When did she start writing? What genre did she often write in? What struggles did she face as a writer? What were some of her successes?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret Brittain's family. Describe the members of her immediate family, as well as Brittain's relationship with each member. What conflicts did Brittain have with her family?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of fear in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of fear in the book? What was Brittain afraid of and why? How did this affect her? How did she deal with her fears? Were her fears realized?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)