|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vera find her students were interested in?
2. What is a charlady?
3. What did Vera spend a lot of time thinking about after the Armistice?
4. Who mainly was treated at the hospital Vera began working at in Chapter 7?
5. What was the name of the town Vera was sent to for her next nursing assignment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What legislation was passed in England around 1919? How did Vera benefit from this?
2. In Chapter 11, what were Vera's thoughts on marriage?
3. What was Vera's first assignment upon arriving at the hospital in France?
4. How did the process of getting their novels published go for Vera and Winifred?
5. Why did Vera and Betty grow apart in Malta?
6. What was life at Etaples like for Vera?
7. On what topic did Vera become an accomplished speaker? How in-demand was she as a lecturer?
8. How did Vera travel to Malta? What worried Vera during her journey to Malta?
9. How did Vera pursue her interest in writing in Chapter 10?
10. What did Oxford allow for the first time after the war, and what did Vera think of this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Brittain's writing. When did she start writing? What genre did she often write in? What struggles did she face as a writer? What were some of her successes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the book. Why is the setting of "Testament of Youth" an important element of the book? Why was this time and place so influential on Brittain's life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Brittain's life during the war. How did the war affect Brittain? What struggles did Brittain face during the war? How did the war change Brittain's world?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)