|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the school Vera was sent to at age thirteen?
2. In which month did Vera's night duty end?
3. Where was Roland's family estate?
4. Why did Vera's father retire?
5. What sport did Vera participate in while at Oxford?
Short Essay Questions
1. What change occurred in Vera's parents' lives in Chapter 5?
2. What did Vera's father tell her at the end of Chapter 2? How did Edward respond to this?
3. What was often the topic of conversation when Vera spoke to Edward and wrote to Roland?
4. What was Vera's family background? How did her parents meet?
5. How did Vera and Roland's relationship progress in Chapter 3?
6. In Chapter 6, what is said to have occurred beginning in July, and how did this affect Vera's family?
7. What did Vera decide to do after her contract at the hospital ended in Chapter 6?
8. What illness did Vera and Betty contract in Chapter 6?
9. Where did Vera meet Roland when he returned to England in Chapter 4? What happened on their train journey?
10. As Roland's December leave approached, what did Vera begin to think about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the struggles faced by Brittain in the book. What struggles did she face in regards to her education? The war? Her family? Her writing?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Brittain's writing. When did she start writing? What genre did she often write in? What struggles did she face as a writer? What were some of her successes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Brittain's education. Why did Brittain want to gain an education? Why was this a struggle to do? What problems did she face during her education?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)