|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Edward say there was a chance his regiment would be sent in Chapter 4?
2. What did Edward hint that Vera and Roland should do in Chapter 4?
3. Where was Edward's regiment sent in Chapter 4?
4. Who was injured at Ypres in Chapter 6?
5. What did Vera begin to do after she finished school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news did Vera receive from Etaples in Chapter 9?
2. What was often the topic of conversation when Vera spoke to Edward and wrote to Roland?
3. Who were Vera's two friends at boarding school?
4. Why was Edward agitated in Chapter 8?
5. What did Vera agonize over in Chapter 4?
6. What did Roland's mother help Vera to do in Chapter 9?
7. On what topic did Vera become an accomplished speaker? How in-demand was she as a lecturer?
8. Why did Vera consider taking a leave from her schooling in Chapter 4?
9. After returning from Europe, what was Vera's main source of income? What were Vera's career ambitions?
10. In Chapter 8, where did Vera ask to be sent for her next nursing assignment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the book. Why is the setting of "Testament of Youth" an important element of the book? Why was this time and place so influential on Brittain's life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conflicts in the autobiography. Who does Brittain have conflict with and why? How does she deal with these conflicts? What causes these conflicts? How do they affect her life?
Essay Topic 3
Outline the career of the author of the autobiography Testament of Youth. What other works did Brittain do? What organizations did Brittain become involved with that influenced her work?
This section contains 1,331 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)