|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the length of Vera's letters to Roland decrease?
2. Why did Vera's father retire?
3. Where was Edward's regiment sent in Chapter 4?
4. During her vacation from Oxford, what kind of work did Vera do?
5. How did Vera feel about her provincial life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why wasn't Mina eager to join Vera as a nurse in London?
2. As Roland's December leave approached, what did Vera begin to think about?
3. What was often the topic of conversation when Vera spoke to Edward and wrote to Roland?
4. What were Vera's living arrangements when she started working at the 1st London General Hospital?
5. Why did Vera consider taking a leave from her schooling in Chapter 4?
6. Where did Vera meet Roland when he returned to England in Chapter 4? What happened on their train journey?
7. What was Mrs. Heath Jones's influence on Vera?
8. What did Vera decide to do after her contract at the hospital ended in Chapter 6?
9. What was Vera's family background? How did her parents meet?
10. What was Vera's childhood like? What did she like to do as a child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret Brittain's nursing period. Why did she become a nurse? How did she react to the horrors she saw? How did this period of her life affect her? What are some different places she went as a nurse? What are some struggles she faced while nursing?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of fear in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of fear in the book? What was Brittain afraid of and why? How did this affect her? How did she deal with her fears? Were her fears realized?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Brittain and Roland. How did they meet? How did they feel for one another? What struggles did they face throughout their relationship? How did Brittain deal with Roland's death?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)