|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Edward need his father's permission to do?
2. Where did Edward say there was a chance his regiment would be sent in Chapter 4?
3. What field did Roland's mother work in?
4. Which university did Vera's father agree to send her to?
5. When did Roland say he would have leave in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Vera and Winifred's odd work schedules cause them problems in Chapter 11?
2. Who was Sir Percy Harris? What position did he offer Vera?
3. What controversy did Vera become involved in in Chapter 10. Who did she meet as a result?
4. Why wasn't Mina eager to join Vera as a nurse in London?
5. How did Vera and Roland's relationship progress in Chapter 3?
6. How did Vera travel back to England for a visit in Chapter 7?
7. What news did Vera receive from Etaples in Chapter 9?
8. Where did Vera and Winifred decide to travel to in Chapter 11 and why?
9. Who did Vera strike up a friendship with in Chapter 2?
10. How did the process of getting their novels published go for Vera and Winifred?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Brittain's education. Why did Brittain want to gain an education? Why was this a struggle to do? What problems did she face during her education?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conflicts in the autobiography. Who does Brittain have conflict with and why? How does she deal with these conflicts? What causes these conflicts? How do they affect her life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of ambition in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of ambition in the book? Was Brittain an ambitious person? Why or why not? What were her goals and dreams? How did she go about achieving them, and was she successful?
This section contains 1,397 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)