|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was injured at Ypres in Chapter 6?
2. Who did Mina have an affair with in Chapter 4?
3. How did Vera feel about her provincial life?
4. What did Vera's coworkers tease her about in Chapter 5?
5. What was Vera reprimanded for doing in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What change occurred in Vera's parents' lives in Chapter 5?
2. What did Vera decide to do after her contract at the hospital ended in Chapter 6?
3. What did Vera do to contribute to the war effort in Chapter 4?
4. Why was Vera allowed to attend University in Chapter 2?
5. What did Vera's father tell her at the end of Chapter 2? How did Edward respond to this?
6. Why was Edward not able to enlist in the military when he wanted to? Why was Roland rejected by the military at first?
7. How did Vera and Roland's relationship progress in Chapter 3?
8. Why was Vera ridiculed by the locals in Buxton in Chapter 2?
9. Who did Vera strike up a friendship with in Chapter 2?
10. Who were Vera's two friends at boarding school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conflicts in the autobiography. Who does Brittain have conflict with and why? How does she deal with these conflicts? What causes these conflicts? How do they affect her life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Brittain's education. Why did Brittain want to gain an education? Why was this a struggle to do? What problems did she face during her education?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of ambition in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of ambition in the book? Was Brittain an ambitious person? Why or why not? What were her goals and dreams? How did she go about achieving them, and was she successful?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)