Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vera often do at the hospital?
2. Where did Vera's parents move to from Buxton?
3. Where did Vera go for comfort during her last semester at Oxford?
4. Who changed Vera's father's mind about the education of women?
5. Which battle made Vera fear for Roland's safety?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Sir Percy Harris? What position did he offer Vera?
2. How did the process of getting their novels published go for Vera and Winifred?
3. Who did Vera clash with in Chapter 10?
4. After returning from Europe, what was Vera's main source of income? What were Vera's career ambitions?
5. What was often the topic of conversation when Vera spoke to Edward and wrote to Roland?
6. Why was Vera ridiculed by the locals in Buxton in Chapter 2?
7. Where did Vera and Winifred decide to travel to in Chapter 11 and why?
8. Why was Vera allowed to attend University in Chapter 2?
9. In Chapter 6, what is said to have occurred beginning in July, and how did this affect Vera's family?
10. How did Vera travel to Malta? What worried Vera during her journey to Malta?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret Brittain's nursing period. Why did she become a nurse? How did she react to the horrors she saw? How did this period of her life affect her? What are some different places she went as a nurse? What are some struggles she faced while nursing?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the struggles faced by Brittain in the book. What struggles did she face in regards to her education? The war? Her family? Her writing?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of separation in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of separation in the book? Who was Brittain separated from and why? How did these separations affect her and her life path?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)