|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Vera have problems with in Chapter 4?
2. What did Vera often do at the hospital?
3. Where did Edward say there was a chance his regiment would be sent in Chapter 4?
4. In which month did Roland leave for the front in France?
5. Who visited Vera near the end of the term in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were Vera's two friends at boarding school?
2. In Chapter 5, what happened to Vera one day while working at the hospital? What did Vera do while on leave from work?
3. What were Vera's living arrangements when she started working at the 1st London General Hospital?
4. What did Vera decide to do after her contract at the hospital ended in Chapter 6?
5. What did Vera have a dream about in Chapter 4?
6. What illness did Vera and Betty contract in Chapter 6?
7. What did Vera's father tell her at the end of Chapter 2? How did Edward respond to this?
8. What was Vera's family background? How did her parents meet?
9. What did Vera agonize over in Chapter 4?
10. What was Mrs. Heath Jones's influence on Vera?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret Brittain's nursing period. Why did she become a nurse? How did she react to the horrors she saw? How did this period of her life affect her? What are some different places she went as a nurse? What are some struggles she faced while nursing?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conflicts in the autobiography. Who does Brittain have conflict with and why? How does she deal with these conflicts? What causes these conflicts? How do they affect her life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Brittain's education. Why did Brittain want to gain an education? Why was this a struggle to do? What problems did she face during her education?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)