|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Edward's regiment sent in Chapter 4?
2. Why was Roland at first refused by the military?
3. What is the name of Vera's brother?
4. What was evident from the way Vera worked after Roland died?
5. What did Edward tell Vera in a letter in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Edward not able to enlist in the military when he wanted to? Why was Roland rejected by the military at first?
2. Why was Vera ridiculed by the locals in Buxton in Chapter 2?
3. What did Vera do to contribute to the war effort in Chapter 4?
4. What did Vera have a dream about in Chapter 4?
5. In Chapter 6, what is said to have occurred beginning in July, and how did this affect Vera's family?
6. Where did Vera meet Roland when he returned to England in Chapter 4? What happened on their train journey?
7. What did Vera's father tell her at the end of Chapter 2? How did Edward respond to this?
8. What change occurred in Vera's parents' lives in Chapter 5?
9. What did Vera find out when she returned home to Buxton from Lowestoft?
10. What was Vera's family background? How did her parents meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is feminism and what issues were at the core of feminism during the first quarter of the 20th century? What were Brittain's viewpoints in regards to feminism? What feminist groups did she join?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conflicts in the autobiography. Who does Brittain have conflict with and why? How does she deal with these conflicts? What causes these conflicts? How do they affect her life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the book. Why is the setting of "Testament of Youth" an important element of the book? Why was this time and place so influential on Brittain's life?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)