|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Edward's friends did Vera strike up a friendship with in Chapter 2?
2. What did Edward need his father's permission to do?
3. What did Vera find out when she went to Brighton to wait for Roland?
4. Who visited Vera near the end of the term in Chapter 4?
5. Who did Mina have an affair with in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Vera and Roland's relationship progress in Chapter 3?
2. Why was Vera allowed to attend University in Chapter 2?
3. In Chapter 6, what is said to have occurred beginning in July, and how did this affect Vera's family?
4. What did Vera agonize over in Chapter 4?
5. What did Vera find out when she returned home to Buxton from Lowestoft?
6. What were Vera's living arrangements when she started working at the 1st London General Hospital?
7. Who did Vera strike up a friendship with in Chapter 2?
8. What change occurred in Vera's parents' lives in Chapter 5?
9. Who were Vera's two friends at boarding school?
10. As Roland's December leave approached, what did Vera begin to think about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe a few of the anecdotes that Brittain shares with the reader. Why did she choose to include these anecdotes and what is their significance?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the struggles faced by Brittain in the book. What struggles did she face in regards to her education? The war? Her family? Her writing?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the book. Why is the setting of "Testament of Youth" an important element of the book? Why was this time and place so influential on Brittain's life?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)