|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the length of Vera's letters to Roland decrease?
2. Which college at the university does Vera decide to enter?
3. What did Edward need his father's permission to do?
4. What happened on the train ride from London to Buxton in Chapter 4?
5. What did Edward tell his father at the end of Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was often the topic of conversation when Vera spoke to Edward and wrote to Roland?
2. In Chapter 5, what happened to Vera one day while working at the hospital? What did Vera do while on leave from work?
3. How did Vera and Roland's relationship progress in Chapter 3?
4. Why was Edward not able to enlist in the military when he wanted to? Why was Roland rejected by the military at first?
5. Why was Vera allowed to attend University in Chapter 2?
6. Where did Vera meet Roland when he returned to England in Chapter 4? What happened on their train journey?
7. What did Vera decide to do after her contract at the hospital ended in Chapter 6?
8. What did Edward report seeing on his way back from military camp in Chapter 3? What did the townspeople begin to do after the war started?
9. Why wasn't Mina eager to join Vera as a nurse in London?
10. What was Vera's childhood like? What did she like to do as a child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of ambition in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of ambition in the book? Was Brittain an ambitious person? Why or why not? What were her goals and dreams? How did she go about achieving them, and was she successful?
Essay Topic 2
Outline the career of the author of the autobiography Testament of Youth. What other works did Brittain do? What organizations did Brittain become involved with that influenced her work?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of separation in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of separation in the book? Who was Brittain separated from and why? How did these separations affect her and her life path?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)