|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vera often do at the hospital?
2. Who did Mina have an affair with in Chapter 4?
3. What did Vera like to do as a child for amusement?
4. What did the locals ridicule Vera for in Chapter 2?
5. What is the name of the school Vera was sent to at age thirteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Vera's family background? How did her parents meet?
2. How did Vera settle into life at Oxford?
3. Why was Vera allowed to attend University in Chapter 2?
4. Who did Vera strike up a friendship with in Chapter 2?
5. What did Edward report seeing on his way back from military camp in Chapter 3? What did the townspeople begin to do after the war started?
6. What did Vera agonize over in Chapter 4?
7. What illness did Vera and Betty contract in Chapter 6?
8. What was often the topic of conversation when Vera spoke to Edward and wrote to Roland?
9. Why was Edward not able to enlist in the military when he wanted to? Why was Roland rejected by the military at first?
10. What did Vera's father tell her at the end of Chapter 2? How did Edward respond to this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret Brittain's nursing period. Why did she become a nurse? How did she react to the horrors she saw? How did this period of her life affect her? What are some different places she went as a nurse? What are some struggles she faced while nursing?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of separation in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of separation in the book? Who was Brittain separated from and why? How did these separations affect her and her life path?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of fear in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of fear in the book? What was Brittain afraid of and why? How did this affect her? How did she deal with her fears? Were her fears realized?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)