|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Vera one day while working in the ward?
2. Why was Roland at first refused by the military?
3. Where did Vera begin to do volunteer work?
4. Why did Vera go back to Buxton in Chapter 3?
5. Where was Edward's regiment sent in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Vera strike up a friendship with in Chapter 2?
2. What did Edward report seeing on his way back from military camp in Chapter 3? What did the townspeople begin to do after the war started?
3. What did Vera decide to do after her contract at the hospital ended in Chapter 6?
4. In Chapter 6, what is said to have occurred beginning in July, and how did this affect Vera's family?
5. Why was Vera allowed to attend University in Chapter 2?
6. Why wasn't Mina eager to join Vera as a nurse in London?
7. What were Vera's living arrangements when she started working at the 1st London General Hospital?
8. What was Vera's family background? How did her parents meet?
9. What was Mrs. Heath Jones's influence on Vera?
10. What was often the topic of conversation when Vera spoke to Edward and wrote to Roland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Outline the career of the author of the autobiography Testament of Youth. What other works did Brittain do? What organizations did Brittain become involved with that influenced her work?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of ambition in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of ambition in the book? Was Brittain an ambitious person? Why or why not? What were her goals and dreams? How did she go about achieving them, and was she successful?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Brittain and Roland. How did they meet? How did they feel for one another? What struggles did they face throughout their relationship? How did Brittain deal with Roland's death?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)