|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Mina have an affair with in Chapter 4?
2. In which month did Vera begin her work training after finishing at Oxford?
3. What did Vera attend while in London to see Roland?
4. How many women did Vera share a room with at the hostel?
5. Which of Edward's friends did Vera strike up a friendship with in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Vera strike up a friendship with in Chapter 2?
2. What did Vera find out when she returned home to Buxton from Lowestoft?
3. What was often the topic of conversation when Vera spoke to Edward and wrote to Roland?
4. Why wasn't Mina eager to join Vera as a nurse in London?
5. Why was Vera allowed to attend University in Chapter 2?
6. In Chapter 6, what is said to have occurred beginning in July, and how did this affect Vera's family?
7. What change occurred in Vera's parents' lives in Chapter 5?
8. What did Vera do to contribute to the war effort in Chapter 4?
9. What did Vera decide to do after her contract at the hospital ended in Chapter 6?
10. Why was Vera ridiculed by the locals in Buxton in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the struggles faced by Brittain in the book. What struggles did she face in regards to her education? The war? Her family? Her writing?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of discrimination in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of discrimination in the book? What discrimination did Brittain face, particularly in regards to her education? How did she handle this discrimination?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret Brittain's family. Describe the members of her immediate family, as well as Brittain's relationship with each member. What conflicts did Brittain have with her family?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)