|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Oxford exam did Vera sit and pass in Chapter 3?
2. What did Vera attend at her brother's school in Chapter 2?
3. What did Edward tell his father at the end of Chapter 2?
4. Where did Edward say there was a chance his regiment would be sent in Chapter 4?
5. After the war began, what did the townspeople do when they began to panic?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Vera find out when she returned home to Buxton from Lowestoft?
2. What was Mrs. Heath Jones's influence on Vera?
3. What did Vera find out when she reapplied for foreign service in Chapter 9?
4. What was Vera's childhood like? What did she like to do as a child?
5. What were Vera's living arrangements when she started working at the 1st London General Hospital?
6. How did Vera and Roland's relationship progress in Chapter 3?
7. What did students who had been involved with the war find hard to adjust to at Oxford?
8. Why did Vera and Winifred travel to Oxford in June 1923? What did Vera receive while there?
9. What change occurred in Vera's parents' lives in Chapter 5?
10. Who was Sir Percy Harris? What position did he offer Vera?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of discrimination in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of discrimination in the book? What discrimination did Brittain face, particularly in regards to her education? How did she handle this discrimination?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of fear in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of fear in the book? What was Brittain afraid of and why? How did this affect her? How did she deal with her fears? Were her fears realized?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conflicts in the autobiography. Who does Brittain have conflict with and why? How does she deal with these conflicts? What causes these conflicts? How do they affect her life?
This section contains 1,453 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)