|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was the journey from Buxton to London by train?
2. While on leave from work in Chapter 5, where did Vera travel to?
3. What was evident from the way Vera worked after Roland died?
4. Why did Vera go back to Buxton in Chapter 3?
5. What did Vera intend to do after she finished at Oxford?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Vera's childhood like? What did she like to do as a child?
2. Why was Edward not able to enlist in the military when he wanted to? Why was Roland rejected by the military at first?
3. Why did Vera consider taking a leave from her schooling in Chapter 4?
4. In Chapter 6, what is said to have occurred beginning in July, and how did this affect Vera's family?
5. As Roland's December leave approached, what did Vera begin to think about?
6. Why wasn't Mina eager to join Vera as a nurse in London?
7. What did Vera's father tell her at the end of Chapter 2? How did Edward respond to this?
8. How did Vera settle into life at Oxford?
9. What was often the topic of conversation when Vera spoke to Edward and wrote to Roland?
10. Where did Vera meet Roland when he returned to England in Chapter 4? What happened on their train journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Brittain and Roland. How did they meet? How did they feel for one another? What struggles did they face throughout their relationship? How did Brittain deal with Roland's death?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conflicts in the autobiography. Who does Brittain have conflict with and why? How does she deal with these conflicts? What causes these conflicts? How do they affect her life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of discrimination in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of discrimination in the book? What discrimination did Brittain face, particularly in regards to her education? How did she handle this discrimination?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)