|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Vera go back to Buxton in Chapter 3?
2. Who visited Vera near the end of the term in Chapter 4?
3. How did Vera feel about her provincial life?
4. Where was Roland to be sent in Chapter 2?
5. What Oxford exam did Vera sit and pass in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Vera change after Roland's death?
2. On what topic did Vera become an accomplished speaker? How in-demand was she as a lecturer?
3. How did Vera travel to Malta? What worried Vera during her journey to Malta?
4. When 'G' said he was coming to London, what did Vera want to tell him? How did their relationship progress?
5. What did Vera's father tell her at the end of Chapter 2? How did Edward respond to this?
6. Who did the man from New College Oxford tell think Vera was?
7. What was the title of Vera's published novel and what was it about?
8. Who were Vera's two friends at boarding school?
9. Where did Vera live while working at St. Jude's?
10. After returning from Europe, what was Vera's main source of income? What were Vera's career ambitions?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the book. Why is the setting of "Testament of Youth" an important element of the book? Why was this time and place so influential on Brittain's life?
Essay Topic 2
Outline the career of the author of the autobiography Testament of Youth. What other works did Brittain do? What organizations did Brittain become involved with that influenced her work?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the struggles faced by Brittain in the book. What struggles did she face in regards to her education? The war? Her family? Her writing?
This section contains 1,424 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)