Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vera often do at the hospital?
2. Where did Vera's parents move to from Buxton?
3. Where did Vera go for comfort during her last semester at Oxford?
4. Who changed Vera's father's mind about the education of women?
5. Which battle made Vera fear for Roland's safety?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Sir Percy Harris? What position did he offer Vera?
2. How did the process of getting their novels published go for Vera and Winifred?
3. Who did Vera clash with in Chapter 10?
4. After returning from Europe, what was Vera's main source of income? What were Vera's career ambitions?
5. What was often the topic of conversation when Vera spoke to Edward and wrote to Roland?
6. Why was Vera ridiculed by the locals in Buxton in Chapter 2?
7. Where did Vera and Winifred decide to travel to in Chapter 11 and why?
8. Why was Vera allowed to attend University in Chapter 2?
9. In Chapter 6, what is said to have occurred beginning in July, and how did this affect Vera's family?
10. How did Vera travel to Malta? What worried Vera during her journey to Malta?
What is feminism and what issues were at the core of feminism during the first quarter of the 20th century? What were Brittain's viewpoints in regards to feminism? What feminist groups did she join?
Describe the social classes in England during this time period, particularly the social class in which Brittain was a part. How did her social class affect her education and time during the war? How did it influence the views of her parents and others around her?
Discuss the motif of ambition in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of ambition in the book? Was Brittain an ambitious person? Why or why not? What were her goals and dreams? How did she go about achieving them, and was she successful?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)