|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vera find out when she went to Brighton to wait for Roland?
2. How did Vera feel about her provincial life?
3. How far were Vera's lodgings from the hospital?
4. When was Vera's nursing contract with the 1st London General set to expire?
5. What did Mrs. Heath Jones encourage her students to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Vera agonize over in Chapter 4?
2. Who were Vera's two friends at boarding school?
3. How did Vera change after Roland's death?
4. What was often the topic of conversation when Vera spoke to Edward and wrote to Roland?
5. How did Vera settle into life at Oxford?
6. Who did Vera strike up a friendship with in Chapter 2?
7. Why was Edward not able to enlist in the military when he wanted to? Why was Roland rejected by the military at first?
8. In Chapter 6, what is said to have occurred beginning in July, and how did this affect Vera's family?
9. What change occurred in Vera's parents' lives in Chapter 5?
10. Why wasn't Mina eager to join Vera as a nurse in London?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the social classes in England during this time period, particularly the social class in which Brittain was a part. How did her social class affect her education and time during the war? How did it influence the views of her parents and others around her?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the conclusion of the autobiography Testament of Youth. How did Brittain choose to end the book? Why might she have decided to end the book at this point? Does the book tie up all loose ends? Are there any surprises at the end? Are there any unanswered questions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of death in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of death in the autobiography? Who died and how did why? How did Brittain handle these deaths? How did they affect her?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)