|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Vera's boarding school friends did she lose touch with after becoming a nurse?
2. Who was injured at Ypres in Chapter 6?
3. What is the name of the boarding school friend Vera kept in touch with for many years?
4. While on leave from work in Chapter 5, where did Vera travel to?
5. Where did Vera live while working at the 1st London General Hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Vera find out when she returned home to Buxton from Lowestoft?
2. Where did Vera meet Roland when he returned to England in Chapter 4? What happened on their train journey?
3. What were Vera's living arrangements when she started working at the 1st London General Hospital?
4. What did Vera agonize over in Chapter 4?
5. How did Vera settle into life at Oxford?
6. Who were Vera's two friends at boarding school?
7. What did Edward report seeing on his way back from military camp in Chapter 3? What did the townspeople begin to do after the war started?
8. Why was Edward not able to enlist in the military when he wanted to? Why was Roland rejected by the military at first?
9. What was Mrs. Heath Jones's influence on Vera?
10. As Roland's December leave approached, what did Vera begin to think about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe a few of the anecdotes that Brittain shares with the reader. Why did she choose to include these anecdotes and what is their significance?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Brittain's writing. When did she start writing? What genre did she often write in? What struggles did she face as a writer? What were some of her successes?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Brittain and Roland. How did they meet? How did they feel for one another? What struggles did they face throughout their relationship? How did Brittain deal with Roland's death?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)