|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vera once have a dream about after finishing University?
2. In Chapter 2, what did Vera spend her time writing?
3. What Oxford exam did Vera sit and pass in Chapter 3?
4. What happened to Vera one day while working in the ward?
5. Where did Vera receive an appointment to work at the end of Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Vera strike up a friendship with in Chapter 2?
2. What change occurred in Vera's parents' lives in Chapter 5?
3. In Chapter 5, what happened to Vera one day while working at the hospital? What did Vera do while on leave from work?
4. How did Vera change after Roland's death?
5. As Roland's December leave approached, what did Vera begin to think about?
6. What was Mrs. Heath Jones's influence on Vera?
7. Why wasn't Mina eager to join Vera as a nurse in London?
8. Why was Edward not able to enlist in the military when he wanted to? Why was Roland rejected by the military at first?
9. What did Vera find out when she returned home to Buxton from Lowestoft?
10. Why did Vera consider taking a leave from her schooling in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret Brittain's family. Describe the members of her immediate family, as well as Brittain's relationship with each member. What conflicts did Brittain have with her family?
Essay Topic 2
What is feminism and what issues were at the core of feminism during the first quarter of the 20th century? What were Brittain's viewpoints in regards to feminism? What feminist groups did she join?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the book. Why is the setting of "Testament of Youth" an important element of the book? Why was this time and place so influential on Brittain's life?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)