|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Roland's family estate?
2. What did Vera like to do as a child for amusement?
3. What sport did Vera participate in while at Oxford?
4. What did Mrs. Heath Jones encourage her students to do?
5. What did Roland's mother think of Vera?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Vera's childhood like? What did she like to do as a child?
2. What did Vera do to contribute to the war effort in Chapter 4?
3. What illness did Vera and Betty contract in Chapter 6?
4. What was often the topic of conversation when Vera spoke to Edward and wrote to Roland?
5. What did Vera agonize over in Chapter 4?
6. What did Edward report seeing on his way back from military camp in Chapter 3? What did the townspeople begin to do after the war started?
7. Why was Vera allowed to attend University in Chapter 2?
8. What was Mrs. Heath Jones's influence on Vera?
9. Why wasn't Mina eager to join Vera as a nurse in London?
10. What did Vera find out when she returned home to Buxton from Lowestoft?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Brittain's life during the war. How did the war affect Brittain? What struggles did Brittain face during the war? How did the war change Brittain's world?
Essay Topic 2
Describe a few of the anecdotes that Brittain shares with the reader. Why did she choose to include these anecdotes and what is their significance?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the male and female place in society during the first quarter of the 20th century. How did the woman's place in society restrict the ambitions of Brittain? How had the gender roles changed post-war?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)