|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which month did Roland leave for the front in France?
2. What did Vera's maternal grandfather do for a living?
3. Who did Vera have problems with in Chapter 4?
4. How many women did Vera share a room with at the hostel?
5. Why did Vera's family move when she was eleven years old?
Short Essay Questions
1. What illness did Vera and Betty contract in Chapter 6?
2. Where did Vera meet Roland when he returned to England in Chapter 4? What happened on their train journey?
3. What was Vera's childhood like? What did she like to do as a child?
4. What did Vera have a dream about in Chapter 4?
5. Why wasn't Mina eager to join Vera as a nurse in London?
6. What change occurred in Vera's parents' lives in Chapter 5?
7. Why did Vera consider taking a leave from her schooling in Chapter 4?
8. What was Mrs. Heath Jones's influence on Vera?
9. What did Edward report seeing on his way back from military camp in Chapter 3? What did the townspeople begin to do after the war started?
10. How did Vera settle into life at Oxford?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of fear in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of fear in the book? What was Brittain afraid of and why? How did this affect her? How did she deal with her fears? Were her fears realized?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conflicts in the autobiography. Who does Brittain have conflict with and why? How does she deal with these conflicts? What causes these conflicts? How do they affect her life?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the conclusion of the autobiography Testament of Youth. How did Brittain choose to end the book? Why might she have decided to end the book at this point? Does the book tie up all loose ends? Are there any surprises at the end? Are there any unanswered questions?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)