|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many women did Vera share a room with at the hostel?
2. After the war began, what did the townspeople do when they began to panic?
3. Where was Roland to be sent in Chapter 2?
4. Who changed Vera's father's mind about the education of women?
5. What did Vera and Roland discuss after having dinner with her parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Vera and Winifred decide to travel to in Chapter 11 and why?
2. Why was Vera allowed to attend University in Chapter 2?
3. Who did the man from New College Oxford tell think Vera was?
4. What change occurred in Vera's parents' lives in Chapter 5?
5. What was Vera's family background? How did her parents meet?
6. What did Oxford allow for the first time after the war, and what did Vera think of this?
7. What was often the topic of conversation when Vera spoke to Edward and wrote to Roland?
8. What did Vera decide to do after her contract at the hospital ended in Chapter 6?
9. Why did Vera and Winifred travel to Oxford in June 1923? What did Vera receive while there?
10. Why was Edward not able to enlist in the military when he wanted to? Why was Roland rejected by the military at first?
Essay Topic 1
Describe a few of the anecdotes that Brittain shares with the reader. Why did she choose to include these anecdotes and what is their significance?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Brittain and Roland. How did they meet? How did they feel for one another? What struggles did they face throughout their relationship? How did Brittain deal with Roland's death?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the conclusion of the autobiography Testament of Youth. How did Brittain choose to end the book? Why might she have decided to end the book at this point? Does the book tie up all loose ends? Are there any surprises at the end? Are there any unanswered questions?
This section contains 1,366 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)