|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vera once have a dream about after finishing University?
2. Why did Vera go back to Buxton in Chapter 3?
3. Whom did Vera become closer to after Roland died?
4. What illness did Vera and Betty contract in Chapter 6?
5. In which month did Vera begin her work training after finishing at Oxford?
Short Essay Questions
1. What change occurred in Vera's parents' lives in Chapter 5?
2. Who did Vera strike up a friendship with in Chapter 2?
3. How did Vera change after Roland's death?
4. What did Vera have a dream about in Chapter 4?
5. What was Mrs. Heath Jones's influence on Vera?
6. How did Vera and Roland's relationship progress in Chapter 3?
7. What did Vera decide to do after her contract at the hospital ended in Chapter 6?
8. Why wasn't Mina eager to join Vera as a nurse in London?
9. What did Vera do to contribute to the war effort in Chapter 4?
10. In Chapter 5, what happened to Vera one day while working at the hospital? What did Vera do while on leave from work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Brittain's life during the war. How did the war affect Brittain? What struggles did Brittain face during the war? How did the war change Brittain's world?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of death in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of death in the autobiography? Who died and how did why? How did Brittain handle these deaths? How did they affect her?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret Brittain's family. Describe the members of her immediate family, as well as Brittain's relationship with each member. What conflicts did Brittain have with her family?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)