|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vera's maternal grandfather do for a living?
2. What did Vera attend while in London to see Roland?
3. Where did Vera receive an appointment to work at the end of Chapter 4?
4. What did Edward hint that Vera and Roland should do in Chapter 4?
5. What is the name of the boarding school friend Vera kept in touch with for many years?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what is said to have occurred beginning in July, and how did this affect Vera's family?
2. Why was Vera ridiculed by the locals in Buxton in Chapter 2?
3. What change occurred in Vera's parents' lives in Chapter 5?
4. What did Vera find out when she returned home to Buxton from Lowestoft?
5. What was Mrs. Heath Jones's influence on Vera?
6. What did Vera have a dream about in Chapter 4?
7. Why was Vera allowed to attend University in Chapter 2?
8. Who were Vera's two friends at boarding school?
9. What did Vera decide to do after her contract at the hospital ended in Chapter 6?
10. What was Vera's childhood like? What did she like to do as a child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the book. Why is the setting of "Testament of Youth" an important element of the book? Why was this time and place so influential on Brittain's life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of death in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of death in the autobiography? Who died and how did why? How did Brittain handle these deaths? How did they affect her?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of discrimination in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of discrimination in the book? What discrimination did Brittain face, particularly in regards to her education? How did she handle this discrimination?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)