|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What group did Vera become involved in at Oxford in Chapter 3?
2. Why did the length of Vera's letters to Roland decrease?
3. While on leave from work in Chapter 5, where did Vera travel to?
4. When did Roland say he would have leave in Chapter 5?
5. What is the name of the school Vera was sent to at age thirteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Vera and Roland's relationship progress in Chapter 3?
2. What change occurred in Vera's parents' lives in Chapter 5?
3. How did Vera change after Roland's death?
4. What was often the topic of conversation when Vera spoke to Edward and wrote to Roland?
5. Where did Vera meet Roland when he returned to England in Chapter 4? What happened on their train journey?
6. What did Edward report seeing on his way back from military camp in Chapter 3? What did the townspeople begin to do after the war started?
7. Who did Vera strike up a friendship with in Chapter 2?
8. What did Vera agonize over in Chapter 4?
9. Who were Vera's two friends at boarding school?
10. What illness did Vera and Betty contract in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Brittain's education. Why did Brittain want to gain an education? Why was this a struggle to do? What problems did she face during her education?
Essay Topic 2
Describe a few of the anecdotes that Brittain shares with the reader. Why did she choose to include these anecdotes and what is their significance?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the struggles faced by Brittain in the book. What struggles did she face in regards to her education? The war? Her family? Her writing?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)