|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Vera's family move when she was eleven years old?
2. What group did Vera become involved in at Oxford in Chapter 3?
3. Whom did Vera become closer to after Roland died?
4. What did Edward hint that Vera and Roland should do in Chapter 4?
5. What illness did Vera and Betty contract in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Vera allowed to attend University in Chapter 2?
2. How did Vera change after Roland's death?
3. In Chapter 6, what is said to have occurred beginning in July, and how did this affect Vera's family?
4. Who were Vera's two friends at boarding school?
5. What did Edward report seeing on his way back from military camp in Chapter 3? What did the townspeople begin to do after the war started?
6. In Chapter 5, what happened to Vera one day while working at the hospital? What did Vera do while on leave from work?
7. What change occurred in Vera's parents' lives in Chapter 5?
8. What was Vera's family background? How did her parents meet?
9. Where did Vera meet Roland when he returned to England in Chapter 4? What happened on their train journey?
10. What did Vera have a dream about in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of ambition in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of ambition in the book? Was Brittain an ambitious person? Why or why not? What were her goals and dreams? How did she go about achieving them, and was she successful?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of death in the autobiography Testament of Youth. What are some examples of death in the autobiography? Who died and how did why? How did Brittain handle these deaths? How did they affect her?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Brittain and Roland. How did they meet? How did they feel for one another? What struggles did they face throughout their relationship? How did Brittain deal with Roland's death?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)