Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vera often do at the hospital?
2. Where did Vera's parents move to from Buxton?
3. Where did Vera go for comfort during her last semester at Oxford?
4. Who changed Vera's father's mind about the education of women?
5. Which battle made Vera fear for Roland's safety?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Sir Percy Harris? What position did he offer Vera?
2. How did the process of getting their novels published go for Vera and Winifred?
3. Who did Vera clash with in Chapter 10?
4. After returning from Europe, what was Vera's main source of income? What were Vera's career ambitions?
5. What was often the topic of conversation when Vera spoke to Edward and wrote to Roland?
6. Why was Vera ridiculed by the locals in Buxton in Chapter 2?
7. Where did Vera and Winifred decide to travel to in Chapter 11 and why?
8. Why was Vera allowed to attend University in Chapter 2?
9. In Chapter 6, what is said to have occurred beginning in July, and how did this affect Vera's family?
10. How did Vera travel to Malta? What worried Vera during her journey to Malta?
Discuss the struggles faced by Brittain in the book. What struggles did she face in regards to her education? The war? Her family? Her writing?
Discuss the conflicts in the autobiography. Who does Brittain have conflict with and why? How does she deal with these conflicts? What causes these conflicts? How do they affect her life?
Discuss the setting of the book. Why is the setting of "Testament of Youth" an important element of the book? Why was this time and place so influential on Brittain's life?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)