|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Vera's published novel about?
(a) Life in Malta.
(b) Life at Oxford.
(c) Growing up in rural England.
(d) Her expericences during the war.
2. Where was Queen Alexandra's Hospital located?
3. What did Vera experience for the first time while she was in London in Chapter 8?
(a) A meeting with a publisher.
(b) A wartime rally.
(d) A bombing raid.
4. Why did Vera ask for leave at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) Vera had been contacted by a publisher.
(b) Vera's mother was sick.
(c) Vera's brother was injured.
(d) Betty needed Vera's help.
5. What was Vera ill with after returning from Italy?
(a) Food poisoning.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the 1920s, many women were dismissed from their jobs for what reason?
2. In Chapter 8, where did Edward indicate he may be sent to fight?
3. What ship did Vera and Betty take to their foreign post?
4. Where did Vera meet with Oswaldo Giacoma?
5. What did Vera hope to find when she went to Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Vera travel to Malta? What worried Vera during her journey to Malta?
2. What did Vera hope to find on her European trip?
3. Why did Vera and Betty grow apart in Malta?
4. Why was Edward agitated in Chapter 8?
5. What did Oxford allow for the first time after the war, and what did Vera think of this?
6. What news did Vera receive from Etaples in Chapter 9?
7. In Chapter 11, what were Vera's thoughts on marriage?
8. What did Roland's mother help Vera to do in Chapter 9?
9. What legislation was passed in England around 1919? How did Vera benefit from this?
10. How did Vera travel back to England for a visit in Chapter 7?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)