|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Vera ask for leave at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) Betty needed Vera's help.
(b) Vera's mother was sick.
(c) Vera's brother was injured.
(d) Vera had been contacted by a publisher.
2. After Malta, where did Vera ask to be sent for her next nursing assignment?
3. In Chapter 11, what idea had Vera more or less accepted?
(a) That she would never publish a book.
(b) That she would work in politics instead of writing.
(c) That she would be a spinster.
(d) That her lecturing career was over.
4. After her brother's death, what did Vera lose interest in?
(a) The war.
5. Who was Winifred?
(a) The leader of the Oxford suffrage group.
(b) A nurse Vera worked with.
(c) The secretary of the Debating Society.
(d) Vera's roommate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vera find her students were interested in?
2. Where did Vera and Winifred decide to travel together?
3. What did Vera have published in Chapter 10?
4. What got lost in Chapter 8?
5. How did Vera think Winifred viewed her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did students who had been involved with the war find hard to adjust to at Oxford?
2. How did Vera travel back to England for a visit in Chapter 7?
3. What was the title of Vera's published novel and what was it about?
4. What legislation was passed in England around 1919? How did Vera benefit from this?
5. What was life at Etaples like for Vera?
6. What did Vera hope to find on her European trip?
7. On what topic did Vera become an accomplished speaker? How in-demand was she as a lecturer?
8. What did Roland's mother help Vera to do in Chapter 9?
9. Why did Vera and Betty grow apart in Malta?
10. Why was Edward agitated in Chapter 8?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)