|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Vera and Winifred often have to do because of their jobs?
(a) Stay awake for days.
(b) Attend fancy parties.
(c) Interview prisoners.
(d) Stay out overnight.
2. What worried Vera during her voyage to her foreign post?
(a) Home sickness.
3. Resulting from the societal changes around 1919, what was Vera able to do in Chapter 10?
(a) Receive a grant to start her own business.
(c) Join the army.
(d) Earn a degree from Oxford.
4. Who was Winifred?
(a) The secretary of the Debating Society.
(b) A nurse Vera worked with.
(c) The leader of the Oxford suffrage group.
(d) Vera's roommate.
5. How did Vera do on her first exams in Chapter 10?
(a) She didn't do as well as she had hoped.
(b) She finished top of her class.
(c) She failed.
(d) Not as well as Winifred.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helped Vera publish her work?
2. What did Vera have published in Chapter 10?
3. Why did Vera ask for leave at the end of Chapter 8?
4. Where did Vera take her mother after returning to England in Chapter 9?
5. Where did Vera spend a lot of time after the Armistice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Vera find out when she reapplied for foreign service in Chapter 9?
2. How did Vera pursue her interest in writing in Chapter 10?
3. What controversy did Vera become involved in in Chapter 10. Who did she meet as a result?
4. What was life at Etaples like for Vera?
5. How did Vera and Winifred's odd work schedules cause them problems in Chapter 11?
6. Where did Vera live while working at St. Jude's?
7. After the Armistice, what did Vera spend a lot of time thinking about?
8. In Chapter 11, what were Vera's thoughts on marriage?
9. Who did Vera clash with in Chapter 10?
10. What did Roland's mother help Vera to do in Chapter 9?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)