|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Vera ill with after returning from Italy?
(a) Food poisoning.
2. What was Vera's published novel about?
(a) Life in Malta.
(b) Life at Oxford.
(c) Her expericences during the war.
(d) Growing up in rural England.
3. Why did Vera ask for leave at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) Vera's mother was sick.
(b) Vera had been contacted by a publisher.
(c) Vera's brother was injured.
(d) Betty needed Vera's help.
4. What subject did Vera switch to when she returned to Somerville?
(a) French language.
5. Who helped Vera publish her work?
(a) Rose Macauley.
(b) Roland's mother.
(c) Sir John Marriott.
(d) Vera's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vera decide to never mention at school?
2. What kind of organization did Vera and Winifred join in Chapter 11?
3. What did Vera call her new roommate in Chapter 8?
4. How did Vera think Winifred viewed her?
5. On what topic did Vera become an accomplished lecturer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Vera live while working at St. Jude's?
2. What did Oxford allow for the first time after the war, and what did Vera think of this?
3. Where did Vera and Winifred decide to travel to in Chapter 11 and why?
4. After returning from Europe, what was Vera's main source of income? What were Vera's career ambitions?
5. What did Vera hope to find on her European trip?
6. What was life at Etaples like for Vera?
7. What was Vera's first assignment upon arriving at the hospital in France?
8. Who did Vera clash with in Chapter 10?
9. Why was Edward agitated in Chapter 8?
10. What legislation was passed in England around 1919? How did Vera benefit from this?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)