|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how many years did Vera lecture on her specialist subject?
(a) More than five years.
(b) Only one year.
(c) More than three years.
(d) Two years.
2. What did Vera find out when she reapplied for foreign service in Chapter 9?
(a) That she would be shipped out immediately.
(b) That she was banned.
(c) That she had to take another nursing course.
(d) That the rules had changed.
3. Which exam did Vera pass in Chapter 10?
(a) Modern Art.
(c) Practical Nursing.
(d) English Literature.
4. Where did Vera and Winifred decide to travel together?
(a) Wales and Ireland.
(c) Central Europe.
5. What did Vera want a career as?
(a) A lecturer.
(b) A writer.
(c) A nurse.
(d) An activist.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who died while Vera was back in England in Chapter 7?
2. In the 1920s, many women were dismissed from their jobs for what reason?
3. Who did Sir Percy Harris work for?
4. Why was Vera unable to go out until the end of her leave in Chapter 8?
5. What did Vera decide to never mention at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Vera and Winifred decide to travel to in Chapter 11 and why?
2. What was the title of Vera's published novel and what was it about?
3. What controversy did Vera become involved in in Chapter 10. Who did she meet as a result?
4. What news did Vera receive from Etaples in Chapter 9?
5. What was life at Etaples like for Vera?
6. Why was Edward agitated in Chapter 8?
7. In Chapter 8, where did Vera ask to be sent for her next nursing assignment?
8. How did Vera and Winifred's odd work schedules cause them problems in Chapter 11?
9. How did Vera travel to Malta? What worried Vera during her journey to Malta?
10. What did Oxford allow for the first time after the war, and what did Vera think of this?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)