|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of housing did Vera have with her new nursing assignment in Chapter 8?
(a) A cabin.
(b) An inn.
(c) A hut.
(d) A flat.
2. In Chapter 11, what is said to have been spreading through Europe?
(d) Anti-British feelings.
3. Where did Vera meet with Oswaldo Giacoma?
4. Who mainly was treated at the hospital Vera began working at in Chapter 7?
(a) Patients with little chance of survival.
(b) Civilian patients.
(c) Torpedo attack survivors.
(d) Bombing victims.
5. Who did Vera visit in hospitals in Chapter 9?
(a) Former classmates.
(b) Patients who had been transferred from Malta.
(c) People who were with her brother when he died.
(d) Fellow voluntary aid detachment nurses.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, who died in April?
2. Why did Vera and Winifred's charlady quit?
3. In the 1920s, many women were dismissed from their jobs for what reason?
4. What worried Vera during her voyage to her foreign post?
5. Where did Vera give a lecture in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What controversy did Vera become involved in in Chapter 10. Who did she meet as a result?
2. After returning from Europe, what was Vera's main source of income? What were Vera's career ambitions?
3. What legislation was passed in England around 1919? How did Vera benefit from this?
4. What was Vera's first assignment upon arriving at the hospital in France?
5. Why did Vera and Betty grow apart in Malta?
6. What was life at Etaples like for Vera?
7. What did students who had been involved with the war find hard to adjust to at Oxford?
8. What did Roland's mother help Vera to do in Chapter 9?
9. In Chapter 11, what were Vera's thoughts on marriage?
10. How did Vera and Winifred's odd work schedules cause them problems in Chapter 11?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)