|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Vera ill with after returning from Italy?
(b) Food poisoning.
2. Who did Vera get to meet as a result of her writing?
(a) The commander of the British army.
(b) The Queen.
(c) The Prime Minister.
(d) The head of Oxford.
3. Where did Vera and Winifred find a new flat?
(a) Maida Vale.
(b) Westbourne Green.
4. For how many years did Vera lecture on her specialist subject?
(a) More than five years.
(b) Two years.
(c) More than three years.
(d) Only one year.
5. What kind of rules still existed at Vera's school?
(a) Rules about the fraternization of males and females.
(b) Rules about women playing sports.
(c) Rules about which classes women could take.
(d) Rules about students holding down jobs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who died while Vera was back in England in Chapter 7?
2. What did Sir Percy Harris want to hire Vera as?
3. Where did Vera take a teaching job?
4. Who was Winifred?
5. Who did Vera spend a lot of her time with after the Armistice?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 8, where did Vera ask to be sent for her next nursing assignment?
2. On what topic did Vera become an accomplished speaker? How in-demand was she as a lecturer?
3. What legislation was passed in England around 1919? How did Vera benefit from this?
4. What was the title of Vera's published novel and what was it about?
5. What news did Vera receive from Etaples in Chapter 9?
6. Why was Edward agitated in Chapter 8?
7. What controversy did Vera become involved in in Chapter 10. Who did she meet as a result?
8. How did the process of getting their novels published go for Vera and Winifred?
9. Why did Vera and Betty grow apart in Malta?
10. How did Vera pursue her interest in writing in Chapter 10?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)