|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ship did Vera and Betty take to their foreign post?
(a) The Royal Earnest.
(b) The Queen Mary.
(c) The Discovery.
(d) The Britannic.
2. After Malta, where did Vera ask to be sent for her next nursing assignment?
3. Which exam did Vera pass in Chapter 10?
(a) Modern Art.
(b) English Literature.
(d) Practical Nursing.
4. Who looked down on the V.A.D.s at the civilian hospital in Chapter 9?
(a) The patients.
(b) The administration.
(c) The doctors.
(d) The nurses.
5. Who mainly was treated at the hospital Vera began working at in Chapter 7?
(a) Torpedo attack survivors.
(b) Bombing victims.
(c) Civilian patients.
(d) Patients with little chance of survival.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vera want a career as?
2. In Chapter 11, what is said to have been spreading through Europe?
3. What did a cable that Vera received in Chapter 7 say?
4. In the 1920s, many women were dismissed from their jobs for what reason?
5. Where did Vera take her mother after returning to England in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Vera's first assignment upon arriving at the hospital in France?
2. Where did Vera live while working at St. Jude's?
3. Where did Vera and Winifred decide to travel to in Chapter 11 and why?
4. After the Armistice, what did Vera spend a lot of time thinking about?
5. What did students who had been involved with the war find hard to adjust to at Oxford?
6. What controversy did Vera become involved in in Chapter 10. Who did she meet as a result?
7. Who was Sir Percy Harris? What position did he offer Vera?
8. What news did Vera receive from Etaples in Chapter 9?
9. Why was Edward agitated in Chapter 8?
10. On what topic did Vera become an accomplished speaker? How in-demand was she as a lecturer?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)