|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Vera find out when she reapplied for foreign service in Chapter 9?
(a) That she had to take another nursing course.
(b) That she would be shipped out immediately.
(c) That she was banned.
(d) That the rules had changed.
2. How did Vera view Winifred?
(a) As someone who knew how to get what she wanted.
(b) As someone who sat out the war in a classroom.
(c) As someone to act as a role model.
(d) As someone who didn't think for herself..
3. What was the name of the feminist campaign group that Vera was a member of?
(a) Women's Social and Political Union.
(b) The Six Point Group.
(c) The London Suffragettes.
(d) Women for England.
4. What was the title of Vera's published novel?
(a) The Lament of the Demobilised.
(b) The Dark Tide.
(c) The Superfluous Woman.
(d) Honourable Estate.
5. Why was Vera unable to go out until the end of her leave in Chapter 8?
(a) There was heavy fighting nearby.
(b) Vera had broken her leg.
(c) Vera was needed at the hospital.
(d) Vera had the flu.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of organization did Vera and Winifred join in Chapter 11?
2. In the 1920s, many women were dismissed from their jobs for what reason?
3. Where did Vera meet with Oswaldo Giacoma?
4. Who mainly was treated at the hospital Vera began working at in Chapter 7?
5. What did Sir Percy Harris want to hire Vera as?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Vera live while working at St. Jude's?
2. What controversy did Vera become involved in in Chapter 10. Who did she meet as a result?
3. How did the process of getting their novels published go for Vera and Winifred?
4. Who was Sir Percy Harris? What position did he offer Vera?
5. Where did Vera and Winifred decide to travel to in Chapter 11 and why?
6. What was Vera's first assignment upon arriving at the hospital in France?
7. What was the title of Vera's published novel and what was it about?
8. What did Vera hope to find on her European trip?
9. What did students who had been involved with the war find hard to adjust to at Oxford?
10. Who did Vera clash with in Chapter 10?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)