|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 11, what is said to have been spreading through Europe?
(c) Anti-British feelings.
2. Who helped Vera publish her work?
(a) Vera's father.
(b) Sir John Marriott.
(c) Rose Macauley.
(d) Roland's mother.
3. What did Vera find her students were interested in?
(a) The Olympics.
(b) Sinn Fein.
(c) The League of Nations.
4. In Chapter 8, where did Edward indicate he may be sent to fight?
5. Where did Vera and Winifred find a new flat?
(c) Westbourne Green.
(d) Maida Vale.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what did the letters from Etaples tell Vera?
2. Who did Sir Percy Harris work for?
3. Where did Vera live while working at the civilian hospital in Chapter 9?
4. What worried Vera during her voyage to her foreign post?
5. Which exam did Vera pass in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Roland's mother help Vera to do in Chapter 9?
2. What was Vera's first assignment upon arriving at the hospital in France?
3. Why was Edward agitated in Chapter 8?
4. After returning from Europe, what was Vera's main source of income? What were Vera's career ambitions?
5. What was the title of Vera's published novel and what was it about?
6. What news did Vera receive from Etaples in Chapter 9?
7. What became of Vera's friends Victor and Geoffrey in Chapter 7?
8. What did students who had been involved with the war find hard to adjust to at Oxford?
9. Who did Vera clash with in Chapter 10?
10. After the Armistice, what did Vera spend a lot of time thinking about?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)