|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 10, in which month did Vera and her flatmate leave for a European trip?
2. What did Sir Percy Harris want to hire Vera as?
(a) His advisor.
(b) His office manager.
(c) His speech writer.
(d) His secretary.
3. What was Vera ill with after returning from Italy?
(d) Food poisoning.
4. What is a charlady?
(a) A landlady.
(b) A chaperone.
(c) A housekeeper.
(d) A personal assistant.
5. What worried Vera during her voyage to her foreign post?
(d) Home sickness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Vera give a lecture in Chapter 11?
2. Where was Queen Alexandra's Hospital located?
3. Who did Vera visit in hospitals in Chapter 9?
4. What did Vera experience for the first time while she was in London in Chapter 8?
5. How did Vera think Winifred viewed her?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 11, what were Vera's thoughts on marriage?
2. After the Armistice, what did Vera spend a lot of time thinking about?
3. What did students who had been involved with the war find hard to adjust to at Oxford?
4. After returning from Europe, what was Vera's main source of income? What were Vera's career ambitions?
5. How did Vera travel back to England for a visit in Chapter 7?
6. Why was Edward agitated in Chapter 8?
7. What did Vera hope to find on her European trip?
8. In Chapter 8, where did Vera ask to be sent for her next nursing assignment?
9. How did the process of getting their novels published go for Vera and Winifred?
10. How did Vera and Winifred's odd work schedules cause them problems in Chapter 11?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)