|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Legislation was being passed in England for what purpose around 1919?
(a) To make conscription illegal.
(b) To ban alcohol consumption.
(c) To reform the British school system.
(d) For better equality between men and women.
2. How did Vera travel back to England in Chapter 7?
(a) On a cargo ship.
(b) By train.
(c) On a passenger ship.
(d) In a plane.
3. Compared to Malta, why did Vera like her new work post in Chapter 8?
(a) She had more free time.
(b) She had less free time.
(c) She had more privacy.
(d) She was in a populated area.
4. On what topic did Vera become an accomplished lecturer?
(a) Equality for men and women.
(b) The British health care system.
(c) Women's suffrage.
(d) The League of Nations.
5. What ship did Vera and Betty take to their foreign post?
(a) The Queen Mary.
(b) The Royal Earnest.
(c) The Britannic.
(d) The Discovery.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Vera get to meet as a result of her writing?
2. What is a charlady?
3. What was Vera's published novel about?
4. Who was Winifred?
5. What did Vera want a career as?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did students who had been involved with the war find hard to adjust to at Oxford?
2. On what topic did Vera become an accomplished speaker? How in-demand was she as a lecturer?
3. Where did Vera live while working at St. Jude's?
4. What legislation was passed in England around 1919? How did Vera benefit from this?
5. After the Armistice, what did Vera spend a lot of time thinking about?
6. What became of Vera's friends Victor and Geoffrey in Chapter 7?
7. What did Oxford allow for the first time after the war, and what did Vera think of this?
8. What was Vera's first assignment upon arriving at the hospital in France?
9. After returning from Europe, what was Vera's main source of income? What were Vera's career ambitions?
10. Where did Vera and Winifred decide to travel to in Chapter 11 and why?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)