|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helped Vera publish her work?
(a) Rose Macauley.
(b) Vera's father.
(c) Sir John Marriott.
(d) Roland's mother.
2. Compared to Malta, why did Vera like her new work post in Chapter 8?
(a) She had more privacy.
(b) She had more free time.
(c) She was in a populated area.
(d) She had less free time.
3. Where did Vera and Winifred decide to travel together?
(c) Central Europe.
(d) Wales and Ireland.
4. How did Vera think Winifred viewed her?
(a) As someone to brainstorm with.
(b) As someone to share secrets with.
(c) As someone to manipulate.
(d) As someone to make fun of.
5. What did Vera call her new roommate in Chapter 8?
(a) Red-haired F.
(b) Red-haired D.
(c) Red-haired M.
(d) Red-haired S.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Malta, where did Vera ask to be sent for her next nursing assignment?
2. What did Vera decide to never mention at school?
3. What kind of organization did Vera and Winifred join in Chapter 11?
4. Where did Vera and Winifred find a new flat?
5. Why did Vera and Betty grow apart in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Vera clash with in Chapter 10?
2. What did Oxford allow for the first time after the war, and what did Vera think of this?
3. What became of Vera's friends Victor and Geoffrey in Chapter 7?
4. What did Roland's mother help Vera to do in Chapter 9?
5. What was life at Etaples like for Vera?
6. How did the process of getting their novels published go for Vera and Winifred?
7. What news did Vera receive from Etaples in Chapter 9?
8. How did Vera travel to Malta? What worried Vera during her journey to Malta?
9. Where did Vera and Winifred decide to travel to in Chapter 11 and why?
10. Where did Vera live while working at St. Jude's?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)