|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What illness did Vera contract shortly after arriving at her foreign post?
(b) Food poisoning.
(d) Scarlet fever.
2. What did Vera decide to never mention at school?
(a) Her wealth.
(b) The war.
(c) Her writing aspirations.
(d) Her brother's death.
3. Who was Winifred?
(a) The secretary of the Debating Society.
(b) Vera's roommate.
(c) The leader of the Oxford suffrage group.
(d) A nurse Vera worked with.
4. Which exam did Vera pass in Chapter 10?
(a) English Literature.
(b) Practical Nursing.
(d) Modern Art.
5. What kind of organization did Vera and Winifred join in Chapter 11?
(a) A fascist organization.
(b) A revolutionary organization.
(c) A conservative organization.
(d) A liberal organization.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Sir Percy Harris want to hire Vera as?
2. Where did Vera live while working at the civilian hospital in Chapter 9?
3. Who did Vera visit in hospitals in Chapter 9?
4. Where did Vera and Winifred find a new flat?
5. In what month did Vera leave Millbank?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news did Vera receive from Etaples in Chapter 9?
2. How did Vera and Winifred's odd work schedules cause them problems in Chapter 11?
3. What was the title of Vera's published novel and what was it about?
4. What controversy did Vera become involved in in Chapter 10. Who did she meet as a result?
5. On what topic did Vera become an accomplished speaker? How in-demand was she as a lecturer?
6. What was Vera's first assignment upon arriving at the hospital in France?
7. How did Vera travel to Malta? What worried Vera during her journey to Malta?
8. Why did Vera and Betty grow apart in Malta?
9. What did Vera hope to find on her European trip?
10. What did Oxford allow for the first time after the war, and what did Vera think of this?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)