|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Vera and Betty grow apart in Chapter 7?
(a) Betty and Vera fought over a man.
(b) Betty and Vera were too busy to see each other.
(c) Vera spent a lot of time alone reading.
(d) Betty became part of the tennis set.
2. In Chapter 9, where were the nurses in Etaples said to have been sleeping?
(a) On the hospital floor.
(b) In a quarantined area.
(c) In the trenches.
(d) At a luxury hotel.
3. What illness did Vera contract shortly after arriving at her foreign post?
(a) Food poisoning.
(d) Scarlet fever.
4. Compared to Malta, why did Vera like her new work post in Chapter 8?
(a) She was in a populated area.
(b) She had more privacy.
(c) She had more free time.
(d) She had less free time.
5. After her brother's death, what did Vera publish?
(a) A book of verse.
(b) Magazine articles about Malta.
(c) A collection of short stories.
(d) A novel.
Short Answer Questions
1. After her brother's death, what did Vera lose interest in?
2. Whose grave did Vera find in France?
3. Where did Vera give a lecture in Chapter 11?
4. In which month did Vera depart for England in Chapter 8?
5. What got lost in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Roland's mother help Vera to do in Chapter 9?
2. What did Vera hope to find on her European trip?
3. What controversy did Vera become involved in in Chapter 10. Who did she meet as a result?
4. What legislation was passed in England around 1919? How did Vera benefit from this?
5. How did the process of getting their novels published go for Vera and Winifred?
6. How did Vera and Winifred's odd work schedules cause them problems in Chapter 11?
7. After returning from Europe, what was Vera's main source of income? What were Vera's career ambitions?
8. What was life at Etaples like for Vera?
9. After the Armistice, what did Vera spend a lot of time thinking about?
10. Why did Vera and Betty grow apart in Malta?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)