|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Vera like to do as a child for amusement?
(a) Horseback riding.
2. What did Edward tell his family about when he returned from camp?
(a) Witnessing a hotel fire.
(b) Flooding in the north.
(c) Seeing trains full of troops.
(d) A concert he went to.
3. What is the name of Vera's brother?
4. Why was Roland at first refused by the military?
(a) He was deaf in one ear.
(b) He was underage.
(c) He had poor eyesight.
(d) He had pneumonia.
5. How long were Vera and Betty in the hospital due to their illness?
(a) Two months.
(b) One month.
(c) One week.
(d) Three weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vera do after Roland left for France?
2. What did Roland send to Vera after being sent to the front?
3. What did Vera attend while in London to see Roland?
4. How far was the location of Vera's training from Buxton?
5. Where was Roland to be sent in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why wasn't Mina eager to join Vera as a nurse in London?
2. What illness did Vera and Betty contract in Chapter 6?
3. What did Edward report seeing on his way back from military camp in Chapter 3? What did the townspeople begin to do after the war started?
4. What did Vera decide to do after her contract at the hospital ended in Chapter 6?
5. As Roland's December leave approached, what did Vera begin to think about?
6. How did Vera settle into life at Oxford?
7. What were Vera's living arrangements when she started working at the 1st London General Hospital?
8. What change occurred in Vera's parents' lives in Chapter 5?
9. Why was Edward not able to enlist in the military when he wanted to? Why was Roland rejected by the military at first?
10. What did Vera do to contribute to the war effort in Chapter 4?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)