|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Vera begin to do after she finished school?
(a) Write in a diary.
(b) Work a part-time job.
(c) Save her money so she could travel.
(d) Write a novel.
2. Why did Vera's father retire?
(a) He was diagnosed with cancer.
(b) He had a disagreement with his associates.
(c) He was too old to continue working.
(d) His business started losing money.
3. In Chapter 5, who moved into quarters next to the hospital with Vera and Betty?
4. How far was the location of Vera's training from Buxton?
(a) Ten minutes.
(b) Half an hour.
(c) One hour.
(d) Two hours.
5. What did Mrs. Heath Jones introduce Vera to while she was at school?
(a) The civil rights movement.
(d) The feminist movement.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened on the train ride from London to Buxton in Chapter 4?
2. What did Vera's coworkers tease her about in Chapter 5?
3. How did Vera act at work after Roland's death?
4. Who changed Vera's father's mind about the education of women?
5. What Oxford exam did Vera sit and pass in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why wasn't Mina eager to join Vera as a nurse in London?
2. What was Vera's family background? How did her parents meet?
3. What change occurred in Vera's parents' lives in Chapter 5?
4. What did Vera find out when she returned home to Buxton from Lowestoft?
5. What did Vera decide to do after her contract at the hospital ended in Chapter 6?
6. What were Vera's living arrangements when she started working at the 1st London General Hospital?
7. What did Vera do to contribute to the war effort in Chapter 4?
8. In Chapter 6, what is said to have occurred beginning in July, and how did this affect Vera's family?
9. What did Edward report seeing on his way back from military camp in Chapter 3? What did the townspeople begin to do after the war started?
10. Why was Vera allowed to attend University in Chapter 2?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)