|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Edward tell his father at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) The he failed his university entrance exams.
(b) That he was going to fight in Europe.
(c) That he would go to Harvard.
(d) That he would not attend University unless Vera did
2. Why did Vera's family move when she was eleven years old?
(a) To be near her grandparents.
(b) Because they couldn't afford to live in the city anymore.
(c) To be near good schools.
(d) Because her father's job was transferred.
3. What did the locals ridicule Vera for in Chapter 2?
(a) Spending most of her time in London.
(b) Wearing the latest fashions.
(c) Studying hard.
(d) Speaking Latin in the village.
4. What was evident from the way Vera worked after Roland died?
(a) That she felt like she was among family at the hospital.
(b) That she didn't believe Roland was dead.
(c) That she no longer liked working at the hospital.
(d) That she wanted to save others from Roland's fate.
5. Who visited Vera near the end of the term in Chapter 4?
(b) Her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what did Vera tell the Principal at Somerville?
2. Who changed Vera's father's mind about the education of women?
3. In what year did Vera make her debut in London?
4. Who did Vera have problems with in Chapter 4?
5. What did Vera often do at the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Vera's childhood like? What did she like to do as a child?
2. What did Vera's father tell her at the end of Chapter 2? How did Edward respond to this?
3. What was Vera's family background? How did her parents meet?
4. Where did Vera meet Roland when he returned to England in Chapter 4? What happened on their train journey?
5. Why was Edward not able to enlist in the military when he wanted to? Why was Roland rejected by the military at first?
6. In Chapter 6, what is said to have occurred beginning in July, and how did this affect Vera's family?
7. How did Vera and Roland's relationship progress in Chapter 3?
8. What did Vera have a dream about in Chapter 4?
9. Who were Vera's two friends at boarding school?
10. What did Vera agonize over in Chapter 4?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)