|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which month did Vera begin her work training after finishing at Oxford?
(a) In September.
(b) In June.
(c) In November.
(d) In August.
2. What group did Vera become involved in at Oxford in Chapter 3?
(a) A journalism group.
(b) A suffrage organization.
(c) A humorist group.
(d) A pacifism organization.
3. When did Vera sit for her university examination?
(a) Two weeks before WWI began.
(b) Four days before WWI began.
(c) On the day WWI began.
(d) One month before WWI began.
4. Why did Vera's father retire?
(a) His business started losing money.
(b) He was too old to continue working.
(c) He was diagnosed with cancer.
(d) He had a disagreement with his associates.
5. How far were Vera's lodgings from the hospital?
(a) Half a mile.
(b) One and a half miles.
(c) Next door.
(d) Three miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mrs. Heath Jones encourage her students to do?
2. How did Vera feel about her provincial life?
3. Where did Vera begin to do volunteer work?
4. In Chapter 5, who moved into quarters next to the hospital with Vera and Betty?
5. What did Edward tell his family about when he returned from camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Vera settle into life at Oxford?
2. What did Edward report seeing on his way back from military camp in Chapter 3? What did the townspeople begin to do after the war started?
3. What illness did Vera and Betty contract in Chapter 6?
4. How did Vera and Roland's relationship progress in Chapter 3?
5. How did Vera change after Roland's death?
6. Where did Vera meet Roland when he returned to England in Chapter 4? What happened on their train journey?
7. What change occurred in Vera's parents' lives in Chapter 5?
8. Why did Vera consider taking a leave from her schooling in Chapter 4?
9. Why was Edward not able to enlist in the military when he wanted to? Why was Roland rejected by the military at first?
10. What was Vera's childhood like? What did she like to do as a child?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)