|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Edward's regiment sent in Chapter 4?
2. How many women did Vera share a room with at the hostel?
3. Where did Vera's family move when she was eleven years old?
4. During her vacation from Oxford, what kind of work did Vera do?
(a) Society tea parties.
(b) Anti-war rallies.
(c) Publishing industry functions.
5. In Chapter 5, who moved into quarters next to the hospital with Vera and Betty?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vera like to do as a child for amusement?
2. After the war began, what did the townspeople do when they began to panic?
3. Why did Vera's family move when she was eleven years old?
4. What did Vera often do at the hospital?
5. How long was the journey from Buxton to London by train?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Roland's December leave approached, what did Vera begin to think about?
2. Who were Vera's two friends at boarding school?
3. What did Vera's father tell her at the end of Chapter 2? How did Edward respond to this?
4. What was Vera's family background? How did her parents meet?
5. Why was Vera ridiculed by the locals in Buxton in Chapter 2?
6. Why was Edward not able to enlist in the military when he wanted to? Why was Roland rejected by the military at first?
7. How did Vera and Roland's relationship progress in Chapter 3?
8. Who did Vera strike up a friendship with in Chapter 2?
9. What was often the topic of conversation when Vera spoke to Edward and wrote to Roland?
10. What did Vera have a dream about in Chapter 4?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)