|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far was the location of Vera's training from Buxton?
(a) Ten minutes.
(b) One hour.
(c) Two hours.
(d) Half an hour.
2. What did Vera find out when she went to Brighton to wait for Roland?
(a) That Edward had been wounded.
(b) That her father had had a heart attack.
(c) That Roland had died.
(d) That one of her short stories was to be published.
3. Who was injured at Ypres in Chapter 6?
(a) Vera's cousin.
4. What did Vera pass the examination for in Chapter 3?
(a) Veterinary care.
(b) Driving an automobile.
(c) First aid.
(d) Child care.
5. What was evident from the way Vera worked after Roland died?
(a) That she no longer liked working at the hospital.
(b) That she didn't believe Roland was dead.
(c) That she wanted to save others from Roland's fate.
(d) That she felt like she was among family at the hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which battle made Vera fear for Roland's safety?
2. In Chapter 2, where did Edward and his friends intend to go after their school term ended?
3. How long were Vera and Betty in the hospital due to their illness?
4. How long was the journey from Buxton to London by train?
5. What did Vera and Roland discuss after having dinner with her parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Vera's father tell her at the end of Chapter 2? How did Edward respond to this?
2. What was Mrs. Heath Jones's influence on Vera?
3. In Chapter 6, what is said to have occurred beginning in July, and how did this affect Vera's family?
4. How did Vera change after Roland's death?
5. Why wasn't Mina eager to join Vera as a nurse in London?
6. What did Vera have a dream about in Chapter 4?
7. What did Vera do to contribute to the war effort in Chapter 4?
8. Who did Vera strike up a friendship with in Chapter 2?
9. What was Vera's childhood like? What did she like to do as a child?
10. What did Vera find out when she returned home to Buxton from Lowestoft?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)