|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far were Vera's lodgings from the hospital?
(a) Three miles.
(b) One and a half miles.
(c) Half a mile.
(d) Next door.
2. Who visited Vera near the end of the term in Chapter 4?
(c) Her mother.
3. Why was Roland at first refused by the military?
(a) He was underage.
(b) He was deaf in one ear.
(c) He had pneumonia.
(d) He had poor eyesight.
4. Why did Vera go back to Buxton in Chapter 3?
(a) For Christmas.
(b) For a funeral.
(c) For Easter.
(d) For her birthday.
5. How did Vera act at work after Roland's death?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vera attend while in London to see Roland?
2. What did Vera's maternal grandfather do for a living?
3. How long were Vera and Betty in the hospital due to their illness?
4. Where did Edward say there was a chance his regiment would be sent in Chapter 4?
5. In Chapter 2, where did Edward and his friends intend to go after their school term ended?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what is said to have occurred beginning in July, and how did this affect Vera's family?
2. In Chapter 5, what happened to Vera one day while working at the hospital? What did Vera do while on leave from work?
3. Why did Vera consider taking a leave from her schooling in Chapter 4?
4. What was Vera's childhood like? What did she like to do as a child?
5. What did Edward report seeing on his way back from military camp in Chapter 3? What did the townspeople begin to do after the war started?
6. What did Vera decide to do after her contract at the hospital ended in Chapter 6?
7. How did Vera settle into life at Oxford?
8. What illness did Vera and Betty contract in Chapter 6?
9. What was often the topic of conversation when Vera spoke to Edward and wrote to Roland?
10. What did Vera have a dream about in Chapter 4?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)