|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Vera's family move when she was eleven years old?
2. What is the name of the boarding school friend Vera kept in touch with for many years?
3. What did Vera find out when she went to Brighton to wait for Roland?
(a) That Roland had died.
(b) That one of her short stories was to be published.
(c) That Edward had been wounded.
(d) That her father had had a heart attack.
4. How far was the location of Vera's training from Buxton?
(a) Ten minutes.
(b) Half an hour.
(c) Two hours.
(d) One hour.
5. Why did the length of Vera's letters to Roland decrease?
(a) She had to ration her letter-writing paper.
(b) She ran out of things to say to Roland.
(c) She didn't have time to write to Roland.
(d) She wasn't allowed to say what happened at the hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vera begin to do after she finished school?
2. In which month did Vera begin her work training after finishing at Oxford?
3. What did Edward need his father's permission to do?
4. What Oxford exam did Vera sit and pass in Chapter 3?
5. What happened on the train ride from London to Buxton in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Vera find out when she returned home to Buxton from Lowestoft?
2. Who did Vera strike up a friendship with in Chapter 2?
3. What change occurred in Vera's parents' lives in Chapter 5?
4. What did Vera agonize over in Chapter 4?
5. What did Vera do to contribute to the war effort in Chapter 4?
6. What were Vera's living arrangements when she started working at the 1st London General Hospital?
7. How did Vera settle into life at Oxford?
8. How did Vera change after Roland's death?
9. Why did Vera consider taking a leave from her schooling in Chapter 4?
10. How did Vera and Roland's relationship progress in Chapter 3?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)