|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Vera once have a dream about after finishing University?
(a) Her wedding.
(b) Roland dying in France.
(c) Edward being lost at sea.
(d) London being bombed.
2. What did Edward tell his family about when he returned from camp?
(a) Witnessing a hotel fire.
(b) Seeing trains full of troops.
(c) Flooding in the north.
(d) A concert he went to.
3. After the war began, what did the townspeople do when they began to panic?
(a) Planted vegetable gardens.
(b) Took all of their savings out of the bank.
(c) Stockpiled food.
(d) Fled from the town.
4. Who was injured at Ypres in Chapter 6?
(c) Vera's cousin.
5. What sport did Vera participate in while at Oxford?
(b) Show jumping.
(d) Field hockey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vera often do at the hospital?
2. Why did Vera go back to Buxton in Chapter 3?
3. In which month did Vera begin her work training after finishing at Oxford?
4. What did Vera find out when she went to Brighton to wait for Roland?
5. How far was the location of Vera's training from Buxton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What legislation was passed in England around 1919? How did Vera benefit from this?
2. What did Roland's mother help Vera to do in Chapter 9?
3. How did Vera change after Roland's death?
4. In Chapter 6, what is said to have occurred beginning in July, and how did this affect Vera's family?
5. What did Edward report seeing on his way back from military camp in Chapter 3? What did the townspeople begin to do after the war started?
6. What was life at Etaples like for Vera?
7. In Chapter 11, what were Vera's thoughts on marriage?
8. What did Vera find out when she reapplied for foreign service in Chapter 9?
9. In Chapter 8, where did Vera ask to be sent for her next nursing assignment?
10. Why did Vera and Betty grow apart in Malta?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)