|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the length of Vera's letters to Roland decrease?
(a) She had to ration her letter-writing paper.
(b) She didn't have time to write to Roland.
(c) She wasn't allowed to say what happened at the hospital.
(d) She ran out of things to say to Roland.
2. What did Vera once have a dream about after finishing University?
(a) Her wedding.
(b) London being bombed.
(c) Roland dying in France.
(d) Edward being lost at sea.
3. Which of Vera's boarding school friends did she lose touch with after becoming a nurse?
4. What did Vera volunteer for in Chapter 6?
(a) For tutoring students hoping to go to Oxford.
(b) For work at a newspaper.
(c) For the Women's Royal Naval Service.
(d) For the foreign service.
5. What did Mrs. Heath Jones encourage her students to do?
(a) Read the newspaper.
(b) Participate in political protests.
(c) Go abroad to study.
(d) Write to politicians.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sport did Vera participate in while at Oxford?
2. Why did Vera go back to Buxton in Chapter 3?
3. What did Vera often do at the hospital?
4. How did Vera feel about her provincial life?
5. Where did Vera receive an appointment to work at the end of Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what is said to have occurred beginning in July, and how did this affect Vera's family?
2. As Roland's December leave approached, what did Vera begin to think about?
3. What did Vera decide to do after her contract at the hospital ended in Chapter 6?
4. What was Mrs. Heath Jones's influence on Vera?
5. What did Edward report seeing on his way back from military camp in Chapter 3? What did the townspeople begin to do after the war started?
6. Why was Vera ridiculed by the locals in Buxton in Chapter 2?
7. Who did Vera strike up a friendship with in Chapter 2?
8. In Chapter 5, what happened to Vera one day while working at the hospital? What did Vera do while on leave from work?
9. What was Vera's family background? How did her parents meet?
10. What was Vera's childhood like? What did she like to do as a child?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)