|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Vera one day while working in the ward?
(a) She sprained her ankle.
(b) She came down with a high fever.
(c) She collapsed.
(d) She was yelled at by a doctor.
2. Where did Vera receive an appointment to work at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) Westminster Hospital.
(b) King's College Hospital.
(c) The Royal London Hospital.
(d) The 1st London General Hospital.
3. Who changed Vera's father's mind about the education of women?
(a) A doctor.
(b) Vera's grandmother.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A businessman.
4. What did Edward tell Vera in a letter in Chapter 6?
(a) That he had gotten engaged.
(b) That he had been wounded.
(c) That he was leaving the army.
(d) That he was returning to England.
5. Where was Roland's family estate?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Vera's father retire?
2. Which of Edward's friends did Vera strike up a friendship with in Chapter 2?
3. What did Vera often do at the hospital?
4. In Chapter 2, what did Vera spend her time writing?
5. Why did Vera's family move when she was eleven years old?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Vera pursue her interest in writing in Chapter 10?
2. How did Vera and Roland's relationship progress in Chapter 3?
3. What did Vera find out when she returned home to Buxton from Lowestoft?
4. What did Oxford allow for the first time after the war, and what did Vera think of this?
5. What did Vera do to contribute to the war effort in Chapter 4?
6. What was Vera's first assignment upon arriving at the hospital in France?
7. In Chapter 6, what is said to have occurred beginning in July, and how did this affect Vera's family?
8. Where did Vera meet Roland when he returned to England in Chapter 4? What happened on their train journey?
9. What did Vera hope to find on her European trip?
10. What did students who had been involved with the war find hard to adjust to at Oxford?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)