|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was injured at Ypres in Chapter 6?
(a) Vera's cousin.
2. What did Edward tell Vera in a letter in Chapter 6?
(a) That he was leaving the army.
(b) That he had gotten engaged.
(c) That he had been wounded.
(d) That he was returning to England.
3. In which month did Roland leave for the front in France?
4. What was evident from the way Vera worked after Roland died?
(a) That she no longer liked working at the hospital.
(b) That she didn't believe Roland was dead.
(c) That she wanted to save others from Roland's fate.
(d) That she felt like she was among family at the hospital.
5. What did Vera once have a dream about after finishing University?
(a) Edward being lost at sea.
(b) Roland dying in France.
(c) Her wedding.
(d) London being bombed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Oxford exam did Vera sit and pass in Chapter 3?
2. How did Vera feel about her provincial life?
3. Where was Edward's regiment sent in Chapter 4?
4. When did Vera sit for her university examination?
5. Why did Vera's father retire?
Short Essay Questions
1. What change occurred in Vera's parents' lives in Chapter 5?
2. What did Edward report seeing on his way back from military camp in Chapter 3? What did the townspeople begin to do after the war started?
3. How did Vera settle into life at Oxford?
4. Why was Vera allowed to attend University in Chapter 2?
5. As Roland's December leave approached, what did Vera begin to think about?
6. In Chapter 6, what is said to have occurred beginning in July, and how did this affect Vera's family?
7. What did Vera have a dream about in Chapter 4?
8. How did Vera change after Roland's death?
9. What did Vera decide to do after her contract at the hospital ended in Chapter 6?
10. What did Vera's father tell her at the end of Chapter 2? How did Edward respond to this?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)