|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Edward need his father's permission to do?
(a) Enter an artistic competition.
(b) Join the military.
(c) Register to vote.
(d) Go to University.
2. While on leave from work in Chapter 5, where did Vera travel to?
3. How long was the journey from Buxton to London by train?
(a) One hour.
(b) Three hours.
(c) Two hours.
(d) Four hours.
4. Where did Vera begin to do volunteer work?
(a) A hospital in Devonshire.
(b) A hospital in Dorset.
(c) A hospital in Wiltshire.
(d) A hospital in Cornwall.
5. What was Vera reprimanded for doing in Chapter 1?
(a) Skipping school.
(b) Dressing in boys' clothes.
(c) Talking to her brother's friends.
(d) Taking part in a political protest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vera volunteer for in Chapter 6?
2. Which battle made Vera fear for Roland's safety?
3. What did Vera's coworkers tease her about in Chapter 5?
4. What did the locals ridicule Vera for in Chapter 2?
5. In which month did Vera's night duty end?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Vera's family background? How did her parents meet?
2. What did Vera do to contribute to the war effort in Chapter 4?
3. As Roland's December leave approached, what did Vera begin to think about?
4. Who were Vera's two friends at boarding school?
5. Why was Edward not able to enlist in the military when he wanted to? Why was Roland rejected by the military at first?
6. What did Edward report seeing on his way back from military camp in Chapter 3? What did the townspeople begin to do after the war started?
7. Why was Vera allowed to attend University in Chapter 2?
8. In Chapter 5, what happened to Vera one day while working at the hospital? What did Vera do while on leave from work?
9. What did Vera decide to do after her contract at the hospital ended in Chapter 6?
10. What did Vera have a dream about in Chapter 4?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)