|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Vera's father retire?
(a) He was diagnosed with cancer.
(b) His business started losing money.
(c) He had a disagreement with his associates.
(d) He was too old to continue working.
2. What did Vera attend while in London to see Roland?
(a) A war fundraiser.
(b) A job interview.
(c) A debutant ball.
(d) A suffrage rally.
3. What did Roland send to Vera after being sent to the front?
(a) Ruby earrings.
(b) An amethyst brooch.
(c) A pearl necklace.
(d) A diamond ring.
4. What did Mrs. Heath Jones introduce Vera to while she was at school?
(b) The civil rights movement.
(d) The feminist movement.
5. When did Roland say he would have leave in Chapter 5?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Roland's family estate?
2. During her vacation from Oxford, what kind of work did Vera do?
3. What did Vera volunteer for in Chapter 6?
4. Why did the length of Vera's letters to Roland decrease?
5. Who did Mina have an affair with in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Vera and Roland's relationship progress in Chapter 3?
2. In Chapter 5, what happened to Vera one day while working at the hospital? What did Vera do while on leave from work?
3. What did Edward report seeing on his way back from military camp in Chapter 3? What did the townspeople begin to do after the war started?
4. Why wasn't Mina eager to join Vera as a nurse in London?
5. Why was Vera allowed to attend University in Chapter 2?
6. What was often the topic of conversation when Vera spoke to Edward and wrote to Roland?
7. What were Vera's living arrangements when she started working at the 1st London General Hospital?
8. How did Vera settle into life at Oxford?
9. What did Vera find out when she returned home to Buxton from Lowestoft?
10. Why was Edward not able to enlist in the military when he wanted to? Why was Roland rejected by the military at first?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)