|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who died while Vera was back in England in Chapter 7?
2. After her brother's death, what did Vera publish?
(a) A book of verse.
(b) Magazine articles about Malta.
(c) A collection of short stories.
(d) A novel.
3. Where did Vera take a teaching job?
(d) South Kensington.
4. Why was Vera unable to go out until the end of her leave in Chapter 8?
(a) Vera had the flu.
(b) There was heavy fighting nearby.
(c) Vera was needed at the hospital.
(d) Vera had broken her leg.
5. What kind of rules still existed at Vera's school?
(a) Rules about students holding down jobs.
(b) Rules about the fraternization of males and females.
(c) Rules about women playing sports.
(d) Rules about which classes women could take.
6. Whose grave did Vera find in France?
(a) Her cousin's.
7. What illness did Vera contract shortly after arriving at her foreign post?
(a) Scarlet fever.
(c) Food poisoning.
8. Who did Vera get to meet as a result of her writing?
(a) The Queen.
(b) The head of Oxford.
(c) The commander of the British army.
(d) The Prime Minister.
9. What was the title of Vera's published novel?
(a) The Dark Tide.
(b) The Lament of the Demobilised.
(c) The Superfluous Woman.
(d) Honourable Estate.
10. What kind of housing did Vera have with her new nursing assignment in Chapter 8?
(a) An inn.
(b) A flat.
(c) A cabin.
(d) A hut.
11. Who looked down on the V.A.D.s at the civilian hospital in Chapter 9?
(a) The doctors.
(b) The administration.
(c) The nurses.
(d) The patients.
12. Who helped Vera publish her work?
(a) Sir John Marriott.
(b) Rose Macauley.
(c) Vera's father.
(d) Roland's mother.
13. What did Vera find her students were interested in?
(a) Sinn Fein.
(b) The League of Nations.
(d) The Olympics.
14. What is a charlady?
(a) A housekeeper.
(b) A chaperone.
(c) A personal assistant.
(d) A landlady.
15. What did Vera earn her income from?
(a) From writing for a newspaper.
(b) From tutoring.
(c) Shares in her family business.
(d) A trust left by her grandparents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vera spend a lot of time thinking about after the Armistice?
2. In the 1920s, many women were dismissed from their jobs for what reason?
3. What kind of organization did Vera and Winifred join in Chapter 11?
4. Where was Queen Alexandra's Hospital located?
5. What did Vera make notes for in Chapter 10?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)