|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What worried Vera during her voyage to her foreign post?
(a) Home sickness.
2. Which ward was Vera assigned to in Chapter 8?
(a) The pediatric ward.
(b) The civilian ward.
(c) The German prisoner ward.
(d) The British ward.
3. What kind of organization did Vera and Winifred join in Chapter 11?
(a) A liberal organization.
(b) A fascist organization.
(c) A conservative organization.
(d) A revolutionary organization.
4. In what month did Vera leave Millbank?
5. In Chapter 11, what is said to have been spreading through Europe?
(d) Anti-British feelings.
6. What did Vera feel she had to lecture about?
7. What did a cable that Vera received in Chapter 7 say?
(a) That Edward had been injured.
(b) That Edward had run away from his regiment.
(c) That Victor had been seriously wounded.
(d) That Vera's father was ill.
8. Why did Vera ask for leave at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) Vera had been contacted by a publisher.
(b) Vera's mother was sick.
(c) Betty needed Vera's help.
(d) Vera's brother was injured.
9. Whose grave did Vera find in France?
(c) Her cousin's.
10. Why did Vera and Betty grow apart in Chapter 7?
(a) Betty and Vera were too busy to see each other.
(b) Betty and Vera fought over a man.
(c) Vera spent a lot of time alone reading.
(d) Betty became part of the tennis set.
11. After her brother's death, what did Vera publish?
(a) Magazine articles about Malta.
(b) A book of verse.
(c) A novel.
(d) A collection of short stories.
12. Who did Vera get to meet as a result of her writing?
(a) The head of Oxford.
(b) The Queen.
(c) The commander of the British army.
(d) The Prime Minister.
13. Where did Vera live while working at the civilian hospital in Chapter 9?
(a) In a shared flat.
(b) In a mansion.
(c) In the hospital basement.
(d) In a cottage.
14. Who did Sir Percy Harris work for?
(a) The League of Nations.
(b) The British military.
(c) The London County Council.
(d) The London Mayor's office.
15. How did Vera travel back to England in Chapter 7?
(a) In a plane.
(b) On a cargo ship.
(c) On a passenger ship.
(d) By train.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vera earn her income from?
2. What ship did Vera and Betty take to their foreign post?
3. In Chapter 7, where was there talk that the hospital staff may be sent from Vera's original foreign post?
4. Who did Vera spend a lot of her time with after the Armistice?
5. What was the name of the town Vera was sent to for her next nursing assignment?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)