|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Vera get to meet as a result of her writing?
(a) The head of Oxford.
(b) The Queen.
(c) The commander of the British army.
(d) The Prime Minister.
2. Legislation was being passed in England for what purpose around 1919?
(a) To make conscription illegal.
(b) For better equality between men and women.
(c) To ban alcohol consumption.
(d) To reform the British school system.
3. What did Vera's school allow for the first time after the war?
(a) Scholarships for low income students.
(b) Female students wearing trousers.
(c) Male-female debates.
(d) Female team sports.
4. What did Vera find her students were interested in?
(a) Sinn Fein.
(b) The League of Nations.
(d) The Olympics.
5. What kind of rules still existed at Vera's school?
(a) Rules about which classes women could take.
(b) Rules about students holding down jobs.
(c) Rules about the fraternization of males and females.
(d) Rules about women playing sports.
6. Why did Vera and Winifred's charlady quit?
(a) She claimed Vera and Winifred were of questionable character.
(b) She claimed Vera and Winifred were rude to her.
(c) She claimed Vera and Winifred were too messy.
(d) She claimed Vera and Winifred refused to pay her.
7. How did Vera do on her first exams in Chapter 10?
(a) She didn't do as well as she had hoped.
(b) She finished top of her class.
(c) Not as well as Winifred.
(d) She failed.
8. What worried Vera during her voyage to her foreign post?
(a) Home sickness.
9. Where did Vera live while working at the civilian hospital in Chapter 9?
(a) In a shared flat.
(b) In a mansion.
(c) In the hospital basement.
(d) In a cottage.
10. In the 1920s, many women were dismissed from their jobs for what reason?
(a) They were unmarried.
(b) They were pregnant.
(c) They were married.
(d) They had children.
11. In Chapter 11, what is said to have been spreading through Europe?
(a) Anti-British feelings.
12. In which month did Vera depart for England in Chapter 8?
(a) In June.
(b) In January.
(c) In September.
(d) In April.
13. Where was Queen Alexandra's Hospital located?
14. What was the name of the town Vera was sent to for her next nursing assignment?
15. In Chapter 7, who died in April?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who died while Vera was back in England in Chapter 7?
2. On what topic did Vera become an accomplished lecturer?
3. How long did Vera spend submitting her first novel to publishers?
4. What is a charlady?
5. In Chapter 9, what did the letters from Etaples tell Vera?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)