|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Vera call her new roommate in Chapter 8?
(a) Red-haired F.
(b) Red-haired S.
(c) Red-haired D.
(d) Red-haired M.
2. Who helped Vera publish her work?
(a) Roland's mother.
(b) Sir John Marriott.
(c) Rose Macauley.
(d) Vera's father.
3. After her brother's death, what did Vera publish?
(a) A book of verse.
(b) A novel.
(c) Magazine articles about Malta.
(d) A collection of short stories.
4. In Chapter 11, what idea had Vera more or less accepted?
(a) That she would never publish a book.
(b) That she would work in politics instead of writing.
(c) That she would be a spinster.
(d) That her lecturing career was over.
5. What did Vera find her students were interested in?
(a) The Olympics.
(c) Sinn Fein.
(d) The League of Nations.
6. What did Vera spend a lot of time thinking about after the Armistice?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Whether to go back to Oxford.
(d) Travelling in Europe.
7. What did Vera's school allow for the first time after the war?
(a) Male-female debates.
(b) Female team sports.
(c) Female students wearing trousers.
(d) Scholarships for low income students.
8. What did Vera find out when she reapplied for foreign service in Chapter 9?
(a) That the rules had changed.
(b) That she was banned.
(c) That she would be shipped out immediately.
(d) That she had to take another nursing course.
9. Which exam did Vera pass in Chapter 10?
(a) English Literature.
(b) Modern Art.
(d) Practical Nursing.
10. What was the name of the feminist campaign group that Vera was a member of?
(a) The London Suffragettes.
(b) Women for England.
(c) Women's Social and Political Union.
(d) The Six Point Group.
11. In Chapter 9, what did the letters from Etaples tell Vera?
(a) That she had left some of her belongings behind.
(b) That the nurses there had all become ill.
(c) That the camp had been bombed.
(d) That she had to return immediately.
12. How did Vera do on her first exams in Chapter 10?
(a) She finished top of her class.
(b) She didn't do as well as she had hoped.
(c) She failed.
(d) Not as well as Winifred.
13. Where did Vera live while working at the civilian hospital in Chapter 9?
(a) In a cottage.
(b) In a mansion.
(c) In a shared flat.
(d) In the hospital basement.
14. Where did Vera take a teaching job?
(d) South Kensington.
15. Whose grave did Vera find in France?
(d) Her cousin's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a charlady?
2. Where did Vera and Winifred find a new flat?
3. What was the title of Vera's published novel?
4. Why was Vera unable to go out until the end of her leave in Chapter 8?
5. Where did Vera take her mother after returning to England in Chapter 9?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)