|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Legislation was being passed in England for what purpose around 1919?
(a) To reform the British school system.
(b) To ban alcohol consumption.
(c) To make conscription illegal.
(d) For better equality between men and women.
2. How did Vera do on her first exams in Chapter 10?
(a) Not as well as Winifred.
(b) She failed.
(c) She finished top of her class.
(d) She didn't do as well as she had hoped.
3. What got lost in Chapter 8?
(a) Vera's manuscript.
(b) Vera's engagement ring.
(c) Edward's baggage.
(d) Vera's parents' savings.
4. What kind of rules still existed at Vera's school?
(a) Rules about women playing sports.
(b) Rules about which classes women could take.
(c) Rules about students holding down jobs.
(d) Rules about the fraternization of males and females.
5. In Chapter 7, who died in April?
6. Who died while Vera was back in England in Chapter 7?
7. On what topic did Vera become an accomplished lecturer?
(a) The League of Nations.
(b) Equality for men and women.
(c) The British health care system.
(d) Women's suffrage.
8. What did Sir Percy Harris want to hire Vera as?
(a) His speech writer.
(b) His office manager.
(c) His advisor.
(d) His secretary.
9. Who was Winifred?
(a) A nurse Vera worked with.
(b) The leader of the Oxford suffrage group.
(c) The secretary of the Debating Society.
(d) Vera's roommate.
10. How many weeks did Vera spend travelling through Europe?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) Eight weeks.
(d) Four weeks.
11. Who mainly was treated at the hospital Vera began working at in Chapter 7?
(a) Civilian patients.
(b) Torpedo attack survivors.
(c) Bombing victims.
(d) Patients with little chance of survival.
12. What was the name of the feminist campaign group that Vera was a member of?
(a) Women's Social and Political Union.
(b) The Six Point Group.
(c) Women for England.
(d) The London Suffragettes.
13. In Chapter 7, where was there talk that the hospital staff may be sent from Vera's original foreign post?
14. What was Vera ill with after returning from Italy?
(a) Food poisoning.
15. What did Vera feel she had to lecture about?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vera's school allow for the first time after the war?
2. What is a charlady?
3. Who did Sir Percy Harris work for?
4. What subject did Vera switch to when she returned to Somerville?
5. After Malta, where did Vera ask to be sent for her next nursing assignment?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)