|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After her brother's death, what did Vera publish?
(a) A book of verse.
(b) Magazine articles about Malta.
(c) A novel.
(d) A collection of short stories.
2. How did Vera think Winifred viewed her?
(a) As someone to make fun of.
(b) As someone to share secrets with.
(c) As someone to manipulate.
(d) As someone to brainstorm with.
3. Why did Vera and Winifred's charlady quit?
(a) She claimed Vera and Winifred were rude to her.
(b) She claimed Vera and Winifred refused to pay her.
(c) She claimed Vera and Winifred were of questionable character.
(d) She claimed Vera and Winifred were too messy.
4. In what month did Vera leave Millbank?
5. In Chapter 7, where was there talk that the hospital staff may be sent from Vera's original foreign post?
6. In which month did Vera depart for England in Chapter 8?
(a) In September.
(b) In April.
(c) In June.
(d) In January.
7. Who did Sir Percy Harris work for?
(a) The League of Nations.
(b) The London County Council.
(c) The London Mayor's office.
(d) The British military.
8. What worried Vera during her voyage to her foreign post?
(a) Home sickness.
9. What was Vera's published novel about?
(a) Life in Malta.
(b) Her expericences during the war.
(c) Growing up in rural England.
(d) Life at Oxford.
10. What did Vera experience for the first time while she was in London in Chapter 8?
(a) A meeting with a publisher.
(b) A bombing raid.
(d) A wartime rally.
11. What did Vera's school allow for the first time after the war?
(a) Female team sports.
(b) Female students wearing trousers.
(c) Scholarships for low income students.
(d) Male-female debates.
12. On what topic did Vera become an accomplished lecturer?
(a) The British health care system.
(b) Equality for men and women.
(c) Women's suffrage.
(d) The League of Nations.
13. What did Sir Percy Harris want to hire Vera as?
(a) His secretary.
(b) His office manager.
(c) His speech writer.
(d) His advisor.
14. How long did Vera spend submitting her first novel to publishers?
(a) Three months.
(b) One year.
(c) Six months.
(d) Two years.
15. In Chapter 9, where were the nurses in Etaples said to have been sleeping?
(a) On the hospital floor.
(b) In a quarantined area.
(c) In the trenches.
(d) At a luxury hotel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Vera spend a lot of time after the Armistice?
2. What did Vera earn her income from?
3. What was the name of the town Vera was sent to for her next nursing assignment?
4. In Chapter 9, what did the letters from Etaples tell Vera?
5. Who did Vera live with after finishing school?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)