|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Vera ask for leave at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) Vera's brother was injured.
(b) Betty needed Vera's help.
(c) Vera's mother was sick.
(d) Vera had been contacted by a publisher.
2. In Chapter 10, in which month did Vera and her flatmate leave for a European trip?
3. Who did Vera get to meet as a result of her writing?
(a) The commander of the British army.
(b) The Prime Minister.
(c) The Queen.
(d) The head of Oxford.
4. What was the name of the hospital where Vera worked at her foreign post?
(a) St. Michael's.
(b) St. Bernard's.
(c) St. Sebastian's.
(d) St. George's.
5. What worried Vera during her voyage to her foreign post?
(a) Home sickness.
6. Who did Vera live with after finishing school?
(c) Roland's parents.
(d) Her parents.
7. How did Vera do on her first exams in Chapter 10?
(a) Not as well as Winifred.
(b) She finished top of her class.
(c) She failed.
(d) She didn't do as well as she had hoped.
8. In Chapter 11, what idea had Vera more or less accepted?
(a) That she would work in politics instead of writing.
(b) That she would never publish a book.
(c) That she would be a spinster.
(d) That her lecturing career was over.
9. What was the name of the feminist campaign group that Vera was a member of?
(a) The Six Point Group.
(b) Women for England.
(c) Women's Social and Political Union.
(d) The London Suffragettes.
10. What was the name of the town Vera was sent to for her next nursing assignment?
11. What did Vera find out when she reapplied for foreign service in Chapter 9?
(a) That she was banned.
(b) That the rules had changed.
(c) That she would be shipped out immediately.
(d) That she had to take another nursing course.
12. What illness did Vera contract shortly after arriving at her foreign post?
(b) Food poisoning.
(d) Scarlet fever.
13. In Chapter 7, who died in April?
14. What did Sir Percy Harris want to hire Vera as?
(a) His speech writer.
(b) His secretary.
(c) His office manager.
(d) His advisor.
15. What kind of organization did Vera and Winifred join in Chapter 11?
(a) A conservative organization.
(b) A liberal organization.
(c) A revolutionary organization.
(d) A fascist organization.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Vera unable to go out until the end of her leave in Chapter 8?
2. Where was Queen Alexandra's Hospital located?
3. Who died while Vera was back in England in Chapter 7?
4. Resulting from the societal changes around 1919, what was Vera able to do in Chapter 10?
5. What was the name of the civilian hospital Vera was assigned to in Chapter 9?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)