|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Vera have published in Chapter 10?
(a) A collection of photographs.
(b) A short story.
(c) A play.
(d) A travel diary.
2. What ship did Vera and Betty take to their foreign post?
(a) The Queen Mary.
(b) The Discovery.
(c) The Royal Earnest.
(d) The Britannic.
3. Resulting from the societal changes around 1919, what was Vera able to do in Chapter 10?
(b) Receive a grant to start her own business.
(c) Join the army.
(d) Earn a degree from Oxford.
4. After her brother's death, what did Vera publish?
(a) A book of verse.
(b) Magazine articles about Malta.
(c) A novel.
(d) A collection of short stories.
5. Where did Vera spend a lot of time after the Armistice?
6. What got lost in Chapter 8?
(a) Vera's engagement ring.
(b) Edward's baggage.
(c) Vera's manuscript.
(d) Vera's parents' savings.
7. What was the name of the feminist campaign group that Vera was a member of?
(a) Women's Social and Political Union.
(b) The London Suffragettes.
(c) Women for England.
(d) The Six Point Group.
8. In Chapter 7, where was there talk that the hospital staff may be sent from Vera's original foreign post?
9. Why did Vera and Betty grow apart in Chapter 7?
(a) Betty became part of the tennis set.
(b) Vera spent a lot of time alone reading.
(c) Betty and Vera were too busy to see each other.
(d) Betty and Vera fought over a man.
10. Why was Vera unable to go out until the end of her leave in Chapter 8?
(a) Vera was needed at the hospital.
(b) There was heavy fighting nearby.
(c) Vera had broken her leg.
(d) Vera had the flu.
11. What kind of housing did Vera have with her new nursing assignment in Chapter 8?
(a) A cabin.
(b) A hut.
(c) A flat.
(d) An inn.
12. Who helped Vera publish her work?
(a) Rose Macauley.
(b) Sir John Marriott.
(c) Roland's mother.
(d) Vera's father.
13. What did Vera make notes for in Chapter 10?
(a) A newspaper article.
(b) A novel she intended to write.
(c) A speech at the university.
(d) A letter of protest.
14. After her brother's death, what did Vera lose interest in?
(b) The war.
15. What kind of organization did Vera and Winifred join in Chapter 11?
(a) A revolutionary organization.
(b) A fascist organization.
(c) A conservative organization.
(d) A liberal organization.
Short Answer Questions
1. Legislation was being passed in England for what purpose around 1919?
2. Where did Vera take a teaching job?
3. What did a cable that Vera received in Chapter 7 say?
4. What did Vera earn her income from?
5. Who did Vera live with after finishing school?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)