|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who looked down on the V.A.D.s at the civilian hospital in Chapter 9?
(a) The patients.
(b) The doctors.
(c) The administration.
(d) The nurses.
2. Why did Vera and Winifred's charlady quit?
(a) She claimed Vera and Winifred refused to pay her.
(b) She claimed Vera and Winifred were rude to her.
(c) She claimed Vera and Winifred were too messy.
(d) She claimed Vera and Winifred were of questionable character.
3. After Malta, where did Vera ask to be sent for her next nursing assignment?
4. What was the name of the hospital where Vera worked at her foreign post?
(a) St. George's.
(b) St. Sebastian's.
(c) St. Bernard's.
(d) St. Michael's.
5. What was the title of Vera's published novel?
(a) Honourable Estate.
(b) The Lament of the Demobilised.
(c) The Superfluous Woman.
(d) The Dark Tide.
6. What did Vera find out when she reapplied for foreign service in Chapter 9?
(a) That she was banned.
(b) That she had to take another nursing course.
(c) That the rules had changed.
(d) That she would be shipped out immediately.
7. How long did Vera spend submitting her first novel to publishers?
(a) Two years.
(b) Three months.
(c) One year.
(d) Six months.
8. Resulting from the societal changes around 1919, what was Vera able to do in Chapter 10?
(a) Earn a degree from Oxford.
(b) Receive a grant to start her own business.
(c) Join the army.
9. Where was Queen Alexandra's Hospital located?
10. What did Vera make notes for in Chapter 10?
(a) A letter of protest.
(b) A newspaper article.
(c) A novel she intended to write.
(d) A speech at the university.
11. What did Vera earn her income from?
(a) A trust left by her grandparents.
(b) Shares in her family business.
(c) From tutoring.
(d) From writing for a newspaper.
12. What was the name of the town Vera was sent to for her next nursing assignment?
13. What kind of organization did Vera and Winifred join in Chapter 11?
(a) A liberal organization.
(b) A revolutionary organization.
(c) A fascist organization.
(d) A conservative organization.
14. Where did Vera and Winifred decide to travel together?
(c) Wales and Ireland.
(d) Central Europe.
15. After her brother's death, what did Vera lose interest in?
(a) The war.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Vera think Winifred viewed her?
2. In Chapter 8, where did Edward indicate he may be sent to fight?
3. In what month did Vera leave Millbank?
4. What did Vera call her new roommate in Chapter 8?
5. In which month did Vera depart for England in Chapter 8?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)