|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the hospital where Vera worked at her foreign post?
(a) St. George's.
(b) St. Michael's.
(c) St. Sebastian's.
(d) St. Bernard's.
2. What did Vera have published in Chapter 10?
(a) A collection of photographs.
(b) A travel diary.
(c) A short story.
(d) A play.
3. Where was Queen Alexandra's Hospital located?
4. In Chapter 10, in which month did Vera and her flatmate leave for a European trip?
5. In Chapter 9, what did the letters from Etaples tell Vera?
(a) That she had left some of her belongings behind.
(b) That the camp had been bombed.
(c) That the nurses there had all become ill.
(d) That she had to return immediately.
6. What did Vera spend a lot of time thinking about after the Armistice?
(b) Travelling in Europe.
(c) Whether to go back to Oxford.
(d) Her brother.
7. What did Vera find her students were interested in?
(a) Sinn Fein.
(c) The Olympics.
(d) The League of Nations.
8. Where did Vera take her mother after returning to England in Chapter 9?
(a) To the 1st London General Hospital.
(b) To a private clinic.
(c) To Vera's flat.
(d) To her mother's house.
9. Whose grave did Vera find in France?
(c) Her cousin's.
10. What did Vera call her new roommate in Chapter 8?
(a) Red-haired F.
(b) Red-haired S.
(c) Red-haired M.
(d) Red-haired D.
11. What did Vera decide to never mention at school?
(a) Her brother's death.
(b) Her writing aspirations.
(c) Her wealth.
(d) The war.
12. What did Vera find out when she reapplied for foreign service in Chapter 9?
(a) That she was banned.
(b) That she had to take another nursing course.
(c) That the rules had changed.
(d) That she would be shipped out immediately.
13. In Chapter 9, where were the nurses in Etaples said to have been sleeping?
(a) In the trenches.
(b) On the hospital floor.
(c) At a luxury hotel.
(d) In a quarantined area.
14. Who did Vera visit in hospitals in Chapter 9?
(a) People who were with her brother when he died.
(b) Patients who had been transferred from Malta.
(c) Fellow voluntary aid detachment nurses.
(d) Former classmates.
15. How did Vera view Winifred?
(a) As someone to act as a role model.
(b) As someone who sat out the war in a classroom.
(c) As someone who knew how to get what she wanted.
(d) As someone who didn't think for herself..
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Vera and Winifred's charlady quit?
2. What did Vera's school allow for the first time after the war?
3. Where did Vera and Winifred find a new flat?
4. In Chapter 7, where was there talk that the hospital staff may be sent from Vera's original foreign post?
5. Where did Vera give a lecture in Chapter 11?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)