|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a charlady?
(a) A personal assistant.
(b) A landlady.
(c) A housekeeper.
(d) A chaperone.
2. Where did Vera take a teaching job?
(d) South Kensington.
3. Where was Queen Alexandra's Hospital located?
4. What did Vera find out when she reapplied for foreign service in Chapter 9?
(a) That she was banned.
(b) That she would be shipped out immediately.
(c) That the rules had changed.
(d) That she had to take another nursing course.
5. How did Vera view Winifred?
(a) As someone to act as a role model.
(b) As someone who knew how to get what she wanted.
(c) As someone who sat out the war in a classroom.
(d) As someone who didn't think for herself..
6. Legislation was being passed in England for what purpose around 1919?
(a) For better equality between men and women.
(b) To reform the British school system.
(c) To make conscription illegal.
(d) To ban alcohol consumption.
7. In Chapter 11, what idea had Vera more or less accepted?
(a) That she would be a spinster.
(b) That her lecturing career was over.
(c) That she would never publish a book.
(d) That she would work in politics instead of writing.
8. In which month did Vera depart for England in Chapter 8?
(a) In January.
(b) In April.
(c) In June.
(d) In September.
9. What did Vera feel she had to lecture about?
10. Which ward was Vera assigned to in Chapter 8?
(a) The civilian ward.
(b) The German prisoner ward.
(c) The pediatric ward.
(d) The British ward.
11. What did Vera call her new roommate in Chapter 8?
(a) Red-haired F.
(b) Red-haired M.
(c) Red-haired S.
(d) Red-haired D.
12. What did a cable that Vera received in Chapter 7 say?
(a) That Victor had been seriously wounded.
(b) That Edward had been injured.
(c) That Edward had run away from his regiment.
(d) That Vera's father was ill.
13. In what month did Vera leave Millbank?
14. Why did Vera and Winifred's charlady quit?
(a) She claimed Vera and Winifred were rude to her.
(b) She claimed Vera and Winifred were too messy.
(c) She claimed Vera and Winifred refused to pay her.
(d) She claimed Vera and Winifred were of questionable character.
15. Where did Vera and Winifred find a new flat?
(a) Maida Vale.
(d) Westbourne Green.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Vera live while working at the civilian hospital in Chapter 9?
2. What did Vera spend a lot of time thinking about after the Armistice?
3. Where did Vera meet with Oswaldo Giacoma?
4. What subject did Vera switch to when she returned to Somerville?
5. What got lost in Chapter 8?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)