|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Vera meet with Oswaldo Giacoma?
2. Who did Vera spend a lot of her time with after the Armistice?
3. What did Vera and Winifred often have to do because of their jobs?
(a) Stay awake for days.
(b) Interview prisoners.
(c) Stay out overnight.
(d) Attend fancy parties.
4. In Chapter 11, what is said to have been spreading through Europe?
(d) Anti-British feelings.
5. What was the name of the town Vera was sent to for her next nursing assignment?
6. What was Vera's published novel about?
(a) Life at Oxford.
(b) Her expericences during the war.
(c) Life in Malta.
(d) Growing up in rural England.
7. What did a cable that Vera received in Chapter 7 say?
(a) That Vera's father was ill.
(b) That Edward had been injured.
(c) That Edward had run away from his regiment.
(d) That Victor had been seriously wounded.
8. What did Vera hope to find when she went to Europe?
(a) The spot where her hospital had been.
(b) The portrait of Roland.
(c) Her family's ancestral home.
(d) Edward's grave.
9. After her brother's death, what did Vera lose interest in?
(a) The war.
10. Who mainly was treated at the hospital Vera began working at in Chapter 7?
(a) Civilian patients.
(b) Bombing victims.
(c) Patients with little chance of survival.
(d) Torpedo attack survivors.
11. How many weeks did Vera spend travelling through Europe?
(a) Four weeks.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) Eight weeks.
12. What was the title of Vera's published novel?
(a) Honourable Estate.
(b) The Dark Tide.
(c) The Lament of the Demobilised.
(d) The Superfluous Woman.
13. In the 1920s, many women were dismissed from their jobs for what reason?
(a) They were unmarried.
(b) They were married.
(c) They had children.
(d) They were pregnant.
14. Who did Vera get to meet as a result of her writing?
(a) The head of Oxford.
(b) The Queen.
(c) The commander of the British army.
(d) The Prime Minister.
15. In Chapter 7, who died in April?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month did Vera leave Millbank?
2. How did Vera view Winifred?
3. What did Vera earn her income from?
4. Where was Queen Alexandra's Hospital located?
5. What did Vera spend a lot of time thinking about after the Armistice?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)