|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Vera and Winifred's charlady quit?
(a) She claimed Vera and Winifred were too messy.
(b) She claimed Vera and Winifred were rude to her.
(c) She claimed Vera and Winifred were of questionable character.
(d) She claimed Vera and Winifred refused to pay her.
2. What did Vera call her new roommate in Chapter 8?
(a) Red-haired S.
(b) Red-haired M.
(c) Red-haired F.
(d) Red-haired D.
3. Legislation was being passed in England for what purpose around 1919?
(a) For better equality between men and women.
(b) To ban alcohol consumption.
(c) To make conscription illegal.
(d) To reform the British school system.
4. What did Vera hope to find when she went to Europe?
(a) The spot where her hospital had been.
(b) The portrait of Roland.
(c) Edward's grave.
(d) Her family's ancestral home.
5. How did Vera view Winifred?
(a) As someone who didn't think for herself..
(b) As someone to act as a role model.
(c) As someone who sat out the war in a classroom.
(d) As someone who knew how to get what she wanted.
6. In what month did Vera leave Millbank?
7. What kind of organization did Vera and Winifred join in Chapter 11?
(a) A liberal organization.
(b) A conservative organization.
(c) A revolutionary organization.
(d) A fascist organization.
8. What did Vera find out when she reapplied for foreign service in Chapter 9?
(a) That she was banned.
(b) That the rules had changed.
(c) That she would be shipped out immediately.
(d) That she had to take another nursing course.
9. Which ward was Vera assigned to in Chapter 8?
(a) The British ward.
(b) The pediatric ward.
(c) The German prisoner ward.
(d) The civilian ward.
10. In Chapter 7, who died in April?
11. Who did Vera spend a lot of her time with after the Armistice?
12. What did Vera experience for the first time while she was in London in Chapter 8?
(a) A wartime rally.
(b) A bombing raid.
(d) A meeting with a publisher.
13. What illness did Vera contract shortly after arriving at her foreign post?
(c) Food poisoning.
(d) Scarlet fever.
14. What worried Vera during her voyage to her foreign post?
(b) Home sickness.
15. How did Vera do on her first exams in Chapter 10?
(a) She failed.
(b) She finished top of her class.
(c) Not as well as Winifred.
(d) She didn't do as well as she had hoped.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Vera live while working at the civilian hospital in Chapter 9?
2. Where was Queen Alexandra's Hospital located?
3. What was the name of the town Vera was sent to for her next nursing assignment?
4. Who was Winifred?
5. In Chapter 10, in which month did Vera and her flatmate leave for a European trip?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)