|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the title of Vera's published novel?
(a) The Dark Tide.
(b) Honourable Estate.
(c) The Superfluous Woman.
(d) The Lament of the Demobilised.
2. Why did Vera ask for leave at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) Vera had been contacted by a publisher.
(b) Vera's brother was injured.
(c) Vera's mother was sick.
(d) Betty needed Vera's help.
3. In Chapter 7, where was there talk that the hospital staff may be sent from Vera's original foreign post?
4. What did Vera want a career as?
(a) A nurse.
(b) An activist.
(c) A writer.
(d) A lecturer.
5. Who did Vera spend a lot of her time with after the Armistice?
6. What was the name of the town Vera was sent to for her next nursing assignment?
7. What did Vera have published in Chapter 10?
(a) A play.
(b) A travel diary.
(c) A short story.
(d) A collection of photographs.
8. What got lost in Chapter 8?
(a) Vera's engagement ring.
(b) Vera's parents' savings.
(c) Edward's baggage.
(d) Vera's manuscript.
9. Why did Vera and Winifred's charlady quit?
(a) She claimed Vera and Winifred were too messy.
(b) She claimed Vera and Winifred were rude to her.
(c) She claimed Vera and Winifred refused to pay her.
(d) She claimed Vera and Winifred were of questionable character.
10. Why did Vera and Betty grow apart in Chapter 7?
(a) Betty became part of the tennis set.
(b) Betty and Vera were too busy to see each other.
(c) Vera spent a lot of time alone reading.
(d) Betty and Vera fought over a man.
11. Legislation was being passed in England for what purpose around 1919?
(a) To make conscription illegal.
(b) To reform the British school system.
(c) To ban alcohol consumption.
(d) For better equality between men and women.
12. Compared to Malta, why did Vera like her new work post in Chapter 8?
(a) She had less free time.
(b) She had more privacy.
(c) She had more free time.
(d) She was in a populated area.
13. How did Vera do on her first exams in Chapter 10?
(a) She finished top of her class.
(b) She didn't do as well as she had hoped.
(c) Not as well as Winifred.
(d) She failed.
14. What did Vera feel she had to lecture about?
15. After her brother's death, what did Vera lose interest in?
(c) The war.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who looked down on the V.A.D.s at the civilian hospital in Chapter 9?
2. Who mainly was treated at the hospital Vera began working at in Chapter 7?
3. Where did Vera and Winifred find a new flat?
4. What was the name of the feminist campaign group that Vera was a member of?
5. Where were Betty and Vera assigned to duty in Chapter 7?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)