|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 10, in which month did Vera and her flatmate leave for a European trip?
2. Resulting from the societal changes around 1919, what was Vera able to do in Chapter 10?
(a) Earn a degree from Oxford.
(b) Join the army.
(c) Receive a grant to start her own business.
3. What did Vera experience for the first time while she was in London in Chapter 8?
(a) A wartime rally.
(c) A bombing raid.
(d) A meeting with a publisher.
4. How did Vera do on her first exams in Chapter 10?
(a) She finished top of her class.
(b) She failed.
(c) Not as well as Winifred.
(d) She didn't do as well as she had hoped.
5. What did Vera hope to find when she went to Europe?
(a) The spot where her hospital had been.
(b) Edward's grave.
(c) Her family's ancestral home.
(d) The portrait of Roland.
6. Why did Vera and Betty grow apart in Chapter 7?
(a) Betty became part of the tennis set.
(b) Betty and Vera were too busy to see each other.
(c) Betty and Vera fought over a man.
(d) Vera spent a lot of time alone reading.
7. What kind of housing did Vera have with her new nursing assignment in Chapter 8?
(a) A flat.
(b) An inn.
(c) A hut.
(d) A cabin.
8. Who died while Vera was back in England in Chapter 7?
9. Who was Winifred?
(a) The leader of the Oxford suffrage group.
(b) The secretary of the Debating Society.
(c) A nurse Vera worked with.
(d) Vera's roommate.
10. Who did Vera visit in hospitals in Chapter 9?
(a) People who were with her brother when he died.
(b) Patients who had been transferred from Malta.
(c) Former classmates.
(d) Fellow voluntary aid detachment nurses.
11. Where did Vera give a lecture in Chapter 11?
(a) The 1st London General Hospital.
(c) St. Monica's.
12. Where did Vera take her mother after returning to England in Chapter 9?
(a) To Vera's flat.
(b) To a private clinic.
(c) To the 1st London General Hospital.
(d) To her mother's house.
13. Who did Sir Percy Harris work for?
(a) The League of Nations.
(b) The London County Council.
(c) The British military.
(d) The London Mayor's office.
14. In Chapter 7, who died in April?
15. Why did Vera ask for leave at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) Vera's brother was injured.
(b) Betty needed Vera's help.
(c) Vera had been contacted by a publisher.
(d) Vera's mother was sick.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Malta, where did Vera ask to be sent for her next nursing assignment?
2. What did Vera find out when she reapplied for foreign service in Chapter 9?
3. In Chapter 11, what is said to have been spreading through Europe?
4. Which exam did Vera pass in Chapter 10?
5. In the 1920s, many women were dismissed from their jobs for what reason?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)