|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Vera travel back to England in Chapter 7?
(a) On a passenger ship.
(b) By train.
(c) On a cargo ship.
(d) In a plane.
2. What was Vera ill with after returning from Italy?
(c) Food poisoning.
3. What did Vera hope to find when she went to Europe?
(a) The portrait of Roland.
(b) Her family's ancestral home.
(c) Edward's grave.
(d) The spot where her hospital had been.
4. In Chapter 7, where was there talk that the hospital staff may be sent from Vera's original foreign post?
5. What kind of rules still existed at Vera's school?
(a) Rules about women playing sports.
(b) Rules about students holding down jobs.
(c) Rules about the fraternization of males and females.
(d) Rules about which classes women could take.
6. Why did Vera ask for leave at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) Vera's mother was sick.
(b) Vera had been contacted by a publisher.
(c) Betty needed Vera's help.
(d) Vera's brother was injured.
7. In what month did Vera leave Millbank?
8. What did Vera feel she had to lecture about?
9. What is a charlady?
(a) A personal assistant.
(b) A housekeeper.
(c) A chaperone.
(d) A landlady.
10. Who was Winifred?
(a) The secretary of the Debating Society.
(b) Vera's roommate.
(c) A nurse Vera worked with.
(d) The leader of the Oxford suffrage group.
11. How did Vera think Winifred viewed her?
(a) As someone to manipulate.
(b) As someone to brainstorm with.
(c) As someone to make fun of.
(d) As someone to share secrets with.
12. After Malta, where did Vera ask to be sent for her next nursing assignment?
13. Who died while Vera was back in England in Chapter 7?
14. After her brother's death, what did Vera lose interest in?
(c) The war.
15. What subject did Vera switch to when she returned to Somerville?
(c) French language.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Vera get to meet as a result of her writing?
2. Where did Vera and Winifred decide to travel together?
3. What was Vera's published novel about?
4. How long did Vera spend submitting her first novel to publishers?
5. In Chapter 10, in which month did Vera and her flatmate leave for a European trip?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)