|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose grave did Vera find in France?
(b) Her cousin's.
2. What was the title of Vera's published novel?
(a) The Superfluous Woman.
(b) The Lament of the Demobilised.
(c) The Dark Tide.
(d) Honourable Estate.
3. What did Vera hope to find when she went to Europe?
(a) Edward's grave.
(b) Her family's ancestral home.
(c) The portrait of Roland.
(d) The spot where her hospital had been.
4. Why did Vera ask for leave at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) Vera had been contacted by a publisher.
(b) Betty needed Vera's help.
(c) Vera's mother was sick.
(d) Vera's brother was injured.
5. Where did Vera and Winifred find a new flat?
(c) Westbourne Green.
(d) Maida Vale.
6. After her brother's death, what did Vera lose interest in?
(b) The war.
7. What did Vera's school allow for the first time after the war?
(a) Scholarships for low income students.
(b) Female students wearing trousers.
(c) Female team sports.
(d) Male-female debates.
8. What worried Vera during her voyage to her foreign post?
(b) Home sickness.
9. What kind of organization did Vera and Winifred join in Chapter 11?
(a) A fascist organization.
(b) A revolutionary organization.
(c) A conservative organization.
(d) A liberal organization.
10. In Chapter 9, what did the letters from Etaples tell Vera?
(a) That the camp had been bombed.
(b) That the nurses there had all become ill.
(c) That she had to return immediately.
(d) That she had left some of her belongings behind.
11. Where did Vera live while working at the civilian hospital in Chapter 9?
(a) In a shared flat.
(b) In a mansion.
(c) In a cottage.
(d) In the hospital basement.
12. What did Vera find her students were interested in?
(b) The Olympics.
(c) Sinn Fein.
(d) The League of Nations.
13. How did Vera think Winifred viewed her?
(a) As someone to make fun of.
(b) As someone to brainstorm with.
(c) As someone to share secrets with.
(d) As someone to manipulate.
14. Where did Vera and Winifred decide to travel together?
(b) Wales and Ireland.
(c) Central Europe.
15. How long did Vera spend submitting her first novel to publishers?
(a) Three months.
(b) Six months.
(c) One year.
(d) Two years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness did Vera contract shortly after arriving at her foreign post?
2. What ship did Vera and Betty take to their foreign post?
3. In Chapter 8, where did Edward indicate he may be sent to fight?
4. In Chapter 7, who died in April?
5. In Chapter 9, where were the nurses in Etaples said to have been sleeping?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)