|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What illness did Vera contract shortly after arriving at her foreign post?
(b) Scarlet fever.
(c) Food poisoning.
2. Where did Vera live while working at the civilian hospital in Chapter 9?
(a) In a shared flat.
(b) In a cottage.
(c) In the hospital basement.
(d) In a mansion.
3. Where did Vera spend a lot of time after the Armistice?
4. Who did Vera live with after finishing school?
(b) Her parents.
(d) Roland's parents.
5. In Chapter 9, where were the nurses in Etaples said to have been sleeping?
(a) On the hospital floor.
(b) In a quarantined area.
(c) In the trenches.
(d) At a luxury hotel.
6. Who did Sir Percy Harris work for?
(a) The British military.
(b) The London County Council.
(c) The League of Nations.
(d) The London Mayor's office.
7. Where did Vera meet with Oswaldo Giacoma?
8. What did Vera find out when she reapplied for foreign service in Chapter 9?
(a) That the rules had changed.
(b) That she was banned.
(c) That she would be shipped out immediately.
(d) That she had to take another nursing course.
9. How many weeks did Vera spend travelling through Europe?
(a) Four weeks.
(b) Eight weeks.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Six weeks.
10. What did Vera hope to find when she went to Europe?
(a) Edward's grave.
(b) Her family's ancestral home.
(c) The portrait of Roland.
(d) The spot where her hospital had been.
11. What did Vera call her new roommate in Chapter 8?
(a) Red-haired M.
(b) Red-haired D.
(c) Red-haired S.
(d) Red-haired F.
12. In Chapter 11, what is said to have been spreading through Europe?
(b) Anti-British feelings.
13. What got lost in Chapter 8?
(a) Vera's engagement ring.
(b) Edward's baggage.
(c) Vera's manuscript.
(d) Vera's parents' savings.
14. What did Sir Percy Harris want to hire Vera as?
(a) His office manager.
(b) His secretary.
(c) His advisor.
(d) His speech writer.
15. In Chapter 8, where did Edward indicate he may be sent to fight?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Vera and Winifred decide to travel together?
2. Who mainly was treated at the hospital Vera began working at in Chapter 7?
3. In which month did Vera depart for England in Chapter 8?
4. Who helped Vera publish her work?
5. What did Vera find her students were interested in?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)