|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Vera unable to go out until the end of her leave in Chapter 8?
(a) Vera had broken her leg.
(b) Vera had the flu.
(c) There was heavy fighting nearby.
(d) Vera was needed at the hospital.
2. What ship did Vera and Betty take to their foreign post?
(a) The Royal Earnest.
(b) The Discovery.
(c) The Britannic.
(d) The Queen Mary.
3. Who mainly was treated at the hospital Vera began working at in Chapter 7?
(a) Civilian patients.
(b) Bombing victims.
(c) Patients with little chance of survival.
(d) Torpedo attack survivors.
4. For how many years did Vera lecture on her specialist subject?
(a) More than three years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Only one year.
(d) More than five years.
5. What subject did Vera switch to when she returned to Somerville?
(a) French language.
6. Where did Vera spend a lot of time after the Armistice?
7. What was the name of the town Vera was sent to for her next nursing assignment?
8. Who died while Vera was back in England in Chapter 7?
9. In Chapter 10, in which month did Vera and her flatmate leave for a European trip?
10. Why did Vera and Betty grow apart in Chapter 7?
(a) Betty and Vera fought over a man.
(b) Vera spent a lot of time alone reading.
(c) Betty became part of the tennis set.
(d) Betty and Vera were too busy to see each other.
11. What was the name of the civilian hospital Vera was assigned to in Chapter 9?
(a) St. Jude's.
(b) St. Mary's.
(c) St. Augustus Hospital.
(d) St. Paul's.
12. Which exam did Vera pass in Chapter 10?
(a) English Literature.
(c) Modern Art.
(d) Practical Nursing.
13. Who did Sir Percy Harris work for?
(a) The London County Council.
(b) The British military.
(c) The League of Nations.
(d) The London Mayor's office.
14. What got lost in Chapter 8?
(a) Edward's baggage.
(b) Vera's parents' savings.
(c) Vera's manuscript.
(d) Vera's engagement ring.
15. Who was Winifred?
(a) Vera's roommate.
(b) The leader of the Oxford suffrage group.
(c) The secretary of the Debating Society.
(d) A nurse Vera worked with.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness did Vera contract shortly after arriving at her foreign post?
2. Where did Vera take a teaching job?
3. What was the title of Vera's published novel?
4. Who did Vera spend a lot of her time with after the Armistice?
5. Compared to Malta, why did Vera like her new work post in Chapter 8?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)