|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Compared to Malta, why did Vera like her new work post in Chapter 8?
(a) She had less free time.
(b) She was in a populated area.
(c) She had more privacy.
(d) She had more free time.
2. Where did Vera take a teaching job?
(b) South Kensington.
3. What did Vera's school allow for the first time after the war?
(a) Female students wearing trousers.
(b) Female team sports.
(c) Male-female debates.
(d) Scholarships for low income students.
4. Where did Vera and Winifred decide to travel together?
(a) Wales and Ireland.
(d) Central Europe.
5. What illness did Vera contract shortly after arriving at her foreign post?
(a) Scarlet fever.
(d) Food poisoning.
6. Why did Vera ask for leave at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) Vera's brother was injured.
(b) Betty needed Vera's help.
(c) Vera's mother was sick.
(d) Vera had been contacted by a publisher.
7. Where did Vera and Winifred find a new flat?
(b) Maida Vale.
(d) Westbourne Green.
8. What did Vera find out when she reapplied for foreign service in Chapter 9?
(a) That she was banned.
(b) That she would be shipped out immediately.
(c) That she had to take another nursing course.
(d) That the rules had changed.
9. Who died while Vera was back in England in Chapter 7?
10. What did Vera hope to find when she went to Europe?
(a) Her family's ancestral home.
(b) The spot where her hospital had been.
(c) The portrait of Roland.
(d) Edward's grave.
11. After her brother's death, what did Vera lose interest in?
(d) The war.
12. Where did Vera take her mother after returning to England in Chapter 9?
(a) To her mother's house.
(b) To the 1st London General Hospital.
(c) To Vera's flat.
(d) To a private clinic.
13. How did Vera view Winifred?
(a) As someone who knew how to get what she wanted.
(b) As someone who didn't think for herself..
(c) As someone to act as a role model.
(d) As someone who sat out the war in a classroom.
14. What was the name of the feminist campaign group that Vera was a member of?
(a) The Six Point Group.
(b) The London Suffragettes.
(c) Women's Social and Political Union.
(d) Women for England.
15. For how many years did Vera lecture on her specialist subject?
(a) Only one year.
(b) More than five years.
(c) More than three years.
(d) Two years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Resulting from the societal changes around 1919, what was Vera able to do in Chapter 10?
2. What was the name of the hospital where Vera worked at her foreign post?
3. What was Vera's published novel about?
4. Which ward was Vera assigned to in Chapter 8?
5. Where did Vera live while working at the civilian hospital in Chapter 9?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)