|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which ward was Vera assigned to in Chapter 8?
(a) The civilian ward.
(b) The German prisoner ward.
(c) The British ward.
(d) The pediatric ward.
2. What did Vera find her students were interested in?
(a) The League of Nations.
(b) The Olympics.
(d) Sinn Fein.
3. Who did Vera visit in hospitals in Chapter 9?
(a) Former classmates.
(b) Patients who had been transferred from Malta.
(c) Fellow voluntary aid detachment nurses.
(d) People who were with her brother when he died.
4. What did a cable that Vera received in Chapter 7 say?
(a) That Victor had been seriously wounded.
(b) That Edward had run away from his regiment.
(c) That Edward had been injured.
(d) That Vera's father was ill.
5. Where did Vera live while working at the civilian hospital in Chapter 9?
(a) In a shared flat.
(b) In the hospital basement.
(c) In a mansion.
(d) In a cottage.
6. How did Vera travel back to England in Chapter 7?
(a) On a passenger ship.
(b) By train.
(c) In a plane.
(d) On a cargo ship.
7. What did Vera hope to find when she went to Europe?
(a) The spot where her hospital had been.
(b) The portrait of Roland.
(c) Her family's ancestral home.
(d) Edward's grave.
8. Why was Vera unable to go out until the end of her leave in Chapter 8?
(a) Vera was needed at the hospital.
(b) There was heavy fighting nearby.
(c) Vera had the flu.
(d) Vera had broken her leg.
9. Who mainly was treated at the hospital Vera began working at in Chapter 7?
(a) Patients with little chance of survival.
(b) Torpedo attack survivors.
(c) Bombing victims.
(d) Civilian patients.
10. Where did Vera and Winifred decide to travel together?
(b) Wales and Ireland.
(c) Central Europe.
11. Who looked down on the V.A.D.s at the civilian hospital in Chapter 9?
(a) The patients.
(b) The doctors.
(c) The nurses.
(d) The administration.
12. Compared to Malta, why did Vera like her new work post in Chapter 8?
(a) She had more privacy.
(b) She was in a populated area.
(c) She had less free time.
(d) She had more free time.
13. Why did Vera and Betty grow apart in Chapter 7?
(a) Betty became part of the tennis set.
(b) Betty and Vera were too busy to see each other.
(c) Vera spent a lot of time alone reading.
(d) Betty and Vera fought over a man.
14. What was the name of the town Vera was sent to for her next nursing assignment?
15. How did Vera think Winifred viewed her?
(a) As someone to manipulate.
(b) As someone to make fun of.
(c) As someone to brainstorm with.
(d) As someone to share secrets with.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month did Vera leave Millbank?
2. Who helped Vera publish her work?
3. What did Vera make notes for in Chapter 10?
4. Whose grave did Vera find in France?
5. What did Vera want a career as?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)