|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Sir Percy Harris want to hire Vera as?
(a) His speech writer.
(b) His office manager.
(c) His advisor.
(d) His secretary.
2. In Chapter 11, what idea had Vera more or less accepted?
(a) That she would be a spinster.
(b) That her lecturing career was over.
(c) That she would never publish a book.
(d) That she would work in politics instead of writing.
3. What did Vera want a career as?
(a) A lecturer.
(b) A writer.
(c) A nurse.
(d) An activist.
4. In Chapter 9, where were the nurses in Etaples said to have been sleeping?
(a) In a quarantined area.
(b) On the hospital floor.
(c) In the trenches.
(d) At a luxury hotel.
5. Who died while Vera was back in England in Chapter 7?
6. What kind of housing did Vera have with her new nursing assignment in Chapter 8?
(a) A cabin.
(b) A flat.
(c) An inn.
(d) A hut.
7. Where did Vera live while working at the civilian hospital in Chapter 9?
(a) In a mansion.
(b) In the hospital basement.
(c) In a shared flat.
(d) In a cottage.
8. What did Vera hope to find when she went to Europe?
(a) The portrait of Roland.
(b) Edward's grave.
(c) The spot where her hospital had been.
(d) Her family's ancestral home.
9. After her brother's death, what did Vera lose interest in?
(c) The war.
10. Where did Vera take her mother after returning to England in Chapter 9?
(a) To her mother's house.
(b) To a private clinic.
(c) To the 1st London General Hospital.
(d) To Vera's flat.
11. What kind of rules still existed at Vera's school?
(a) Rules about which classes women could take.
(b) Rules about students holding down jobs.
(c) Rules about the fraternization of males and females.
(d) Rules about women playing sports.
12. Resulting from the societal changes around 1919, what was Vera able to do in Chapter 10?
(a) Join the army.
(b) Earn a degree from Oxford.
(d) Receive a grant to start her own business.
13. Which exam did Vera pass in Chapter 10?
(a) Modern Art.
(b) English Literature.
(d) Practical Nursing.
14. How did Vera think Winifred viewed her?
(a) As someone to share secrets with.
(b) As someone to manipulate.
(c) As someone to make fun of.
(d) As someone to brainstorm with.
15. Compared to Malta, why did Vera like her new work post in Chapter 8?
(a) She had less free time.
(b) She had more privacy.
(c) She had more free time.
(d) She was in a populated area.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the feminist campaign group that Vera was a member of?
2. Why did Vera ask for leave at the end of Chapter 8?
3. In Chapter 11, what is said to have been spreading through Europe?
4. What did Vera decide to never mention at school?
5. Where did Vera take a teaching job?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)