|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 9, where were the nurses in Etaples said to have been sleeping?
(a) On the hospital floor.
(b) At a luxury hotel.
(c) In a quarantined area.
(d) In the trenches.
2. Why was Vera unable to go out until the end of her leave in Chapter 8?
(a) Vera had the flu.
(b) Vera was needed at the hospital.
(c) Vera had broken her leg.
(d) There was heavy fighting nearby.
3. Resulting from the societal changes around 1919, what was Vera able to do in Chapter 10?
(a) Earn a degree from Oxford.
(c) Join the army.
(d) Receive a grant to start her own business.
4. Where was Queen Alexandra's Hospital located?
5. What did Vera and Winifred often have to do because of their jobs?
(a) Interview prisoners.
(b) Attend fancy parties.
(c) Stay out overnight.
(d) Stay awake for days.
6. In Chapter 8, where did Edward indicate he may be sent to fight?
7. What did Vera find her students were interested in?
(a) The Olympics.
(c) The League of Nations.
(d) Sinn Fein.
8. Which exam did Vera pass in Chapter 10?
(b) English Literature.
(c) Modern Art.
(d) Practical Nursing.
9. What did Vera make notes for in Chapter 10?
(a) A novel she intended to write.
(b) A newspaper article.
(c) A speech at the university.
(d) A letter of protest.
10. What was the title of Vera's published novel?
(a) The Superfluous Woman.
(b) The Lament of the Demobilised.
(c) The Dark Tide.
(d) Honourable Estate.
11. Where did Vera and Winifred find a new flat?
(c) Westbourne Green.
(d) Maida Vale.
12. Where did Vera meet with Oswaldo Giacoma?
13. How did Vera do on her first exams in Chapter 10?
(a) Not as well as Winifred.
(b) She finished top of her class.
(c) She didn't do as well as she had hoped.
(d) She failed.
14. Whose grave did Vera find in France?
(c) Her cousin's.
15. Compared to Malta, why did Vera like her new work post in Chapter 8?
(a) She had more privacy.
(b) She was in a populated area.
(c) She had more free time.
(d) She had less free time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vera want a career as?
2. Where did Vera live while working at the civilian hospital in Chapter 9?
3. What did Vera hope to find when she went to Europe?
4. What ship did Vera and Betty take to their foreign post?
5. On what topic did Vera become an accomplished lecturer?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)