|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Edward hint that Vera and Roland should do in Chapter 4?
(b) Throw Edward a birthday party.
(c) Break up.
(d) Move to America.
2. How long was the journey from Buxton to London by train?
(a) Three hours.
(b) Four hours.
(c) Two hours.
(d) One hour.
3. What did Vera often do at the hospital?
(a) Prepared dressing trays.
(b) Stitched up wounds.
(c) Counseled patients.
(d) Set bones.
4. What is the name of the school Vera was sent to at age thirteen?
(a) St. Agatha's.
(b) St. Anne's.
(c) St. Monica's.
(d) St. Margaret's.
5. In Chapter 2, where did Edward and his friends intend to go after their school term ended?
(a) An academic study camp.
(b) A military camp.
(c) A fishing camp.
(d) A boy scout camp.
6. When was Vera's nursing contract with the 1st London General set to expire?
7. How long were Vera and Betty in the hospital due to their illness?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Two months.
(c) One week.
(d) One month.
8. What was Vera reprimanded for doing in Chapter 1?
(a) Talking to her brother's friends.
(b) Dressing in boys' clothes.
(c) Taking part in a political protest.
(d) Skipping school.
9. What did Vera intend to do after she finished at Oxford?
(a) Get married.
(b) Work for a newspaper.
(c) Go into nursing.
(d) Continue her studies at Cambridge.
10. Where did Vera begin to do volunteer work?
(a) A hospital in Devonshire.
(b) A hospital in Cornwall.
(c) A hospital in Dorset.
(d) A hospital in Wiltshire.
11. What did Vera volunteer for in Chapter 6?
(a) For the Women's Royal Naval Service.
(b) For the foreign service.
(c) For work at a newspaper.
(d) For tutoring students hoping to go to Oxford.
12. Who changed Vera's father's mind about the education of women?
(a) Vera's grandmother.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A businessman.
13. Which of Edward's friends did Vera strike up a friendship with in Chapter 2?
14. Which of Vera's boarding school friends did she lose touch with after becoming a nurse?
15. In Chapter 2, what did Vera spend her time writing?
(a) Newspaper articles.
(c) Letters to penpals around the world.
(d) Letters to politicians.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was injured at Ypres in Chapter 6?
2. Why was Roland at first refused by the military?
3. What did the locals ridicule Vera for in Chapter 2?
4. In Chapter 5, who moved into quarters next to the hospital with Vera and Betty?
5. In which month did Roland leave for the front in France?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)