|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Vera attend at her brother's school in Chapter 2?
(a) Speech day.
(b) Sports day.
(c) Open House day.
(d) Exam day.
2. What did Vera volunteer for in Chapter 6?
(a) For the Women's Royal Naval Service.
(b) For the foreign service.
(c) For work at a newspaper.
(d) For tutoring students hoping to go to Oxford.
3. What is the name of the boarding school friend Vera kept in touch with for many years?
4. What illness did Vera and Betty contract in Chapter 6?
(a) German measles.
(b) Scarlet fever.
5. Who did Vera have problems with in Chapter 4?
(a) Her father.
(b) One of her patients.
(c) The Head of Nursing.
(d) A doctor at the hospital.
6. Where did Vera live while working at the 1st London General Hospital?
(a) In a hotel.
(b) In a hostel.
(c) In a dormitory.
(d) In an apartment.
7. What did Edward need his father's permission to do?
(a) Join the military.
(b) Enter an artistic competition.
(c) Register to vote.
(d) Go to University.
8. Which of Edward's friends did Vera strike up a friendship with in Chapter 2?
9. Where did Edward do his officer's training?
10. In Chapter 6, what did Vera tell the Principal at Somerville?
(a) That women were treated badly at Oxford.
(b) That she would resume her studies the following autumn.
(c) That she would not resume her studies until the war was over.
(d) That she wanted to do her studies via correspondence.
11. What did Mrs. Heath Jones encourage her students to do?
(a) Go abroad to study.
(b) Participate in political protests.
(c) Write to politicians.
(d) Read the newspaper.
12. Where did Vera receive an appointment to work at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) The 1st London General Hospital.
(b) The Royal London Hospital.
(c) King's College Hospital.
(d) Westminster Hospital.
13. What did Vera attend while in London to see Roland?
(a) A job interview.
(b) A debutant ball.
(c) A suffrage rally.
(d) A war fundraiser.
14. Which of Vera's boarding school friends did she lose touch with after becoming a nurse?
15. When was Vera's nursing contract with the 1st London General set to expire?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the school Vera was sent to at age thirteen?
2. What did Vera pass the examination for in Chapter 3?
3. What was evident from the way Vera worked after Roland died?
4. What did Roland's mother think of Vera?
5. Where did Vera's family move when she was eleven years old?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)