|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Roland at first refused by the military?
(a) He was underage.
(b) He had poor eyesight.
(c) He had pneumonia.
(d) He was deaf in one ear.
2. What did Vera pass the examination for in Chapter 3?
(a) Driving an automobile.
(b) Veterinary care.
(c) First aid.
(d) Child care.
3. Who visited Vera near the end of the term in Chapter 4?
(c) Her mother.
4. What field did Roland's mother work in?
5. What did Vera find out when she went to Brighton to wait for Roland?
(a) That one of her short stories was to be published.
(b) That her father had had a heart attack.
(c) That Edward had been wounded.
(d) That Roland had died.
6. In what year did Vera make her debut in London?
7. What is the name of the boarding school friend Vera kept in touch with for many years?
8. When did Vera sit for her university examination?
(a) Two weeks before WWI began.
(b) On the day WWI began.
(c) One month before WWI began.
(d) Four days before WWI began.
9. While on leave from work in Chapter 5, where did Vera travel to?
10. What did Edward tell his father at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) The he failed his university entrance exams.
(b) That he would go to Harvard.
(c) That he was going to fight in Europe.
(d) That he would not attend University unless Vera did
11. Where did Edward do his officer's training?
12. Which college at the university does Vera decide to enter?
(a) Somerville College.
(b) Trinity College.
(c) Magdalen College.
(d) Exeter College.
13. What was Vera reprimanded for doing in Chapter 1?
(a) Skipping school.
(b) Taking part in a political protest.
(c) Talking to her brother's friends.
(d) Dressing in boys' clothes.
14. Who was injured at Ypres in Chapter 6?
(b) Vera's cousin.
15. Who changed Vera's father's mind about the education of women?
(a) Vera's grandmother.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A businessman.
(d) A doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Edward's regiment sent in Chapter 4?
2. What did Edward hint that Vera and Roland should do in Chapter 4?
3. Where did Vera receive an appointment to work at the end of Chapter 4?
4. What is the name of the school Vera was sent to at age thirteen?
5. Why did Vera go back to Buxton in Chapter 3?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)