|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Edward's friends did Vera strike up a friendship with in Chapter 2?
2. In Chapter 6, what did Vera tell the Principal at Somerville?
(a) That she would resume her studies the following autumn.
(b) That she wanted to do her studies via correspondence.
(c) That she would not resume her studies until the war was over.
(d) That women were treated badly at Oxford.
3. Why did Vera go back to Buxton in Chapter 3?
(a) For a funeral.
(b) For Easter.
(c) For her birthday.
(d) For Christmas.
4. What did the locals ridicule Vera for in Chapter 2?
(a) Spending most of her time in London.
(b) Studying hard.
(c) Speaking Latin in the village.
(d) Wearing the latest fashions.
5. Who changed Vera's father's mind about the education of women?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A businessman.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) Vera's grandmother.
6. How long was the journey from Buxton to London by train?
(a) One hour.
(b) Two hours.
(c) Four hours.
(d) Three hours.
7. What happened to Vera one day while working in the ward?
(a) She sprained her ankle.
(b) She was yelled at by a doctor.
(c) She collapsed.
(d) She came down with a high fever.
8. What did Vera attend while in London to see Roland?
(a) A war fundraiser.
(b) A debutant ball.
(c) A suffrage rally.
(d) A job interview.
9. Where did Vera live while working at the 1st London General Hospital?
(a) In an apartment.
(b) In a dormitory.
(c) In a hostel.
(d) In a hotel.
10. What did Edward need his father's permission to do?
(a) Enter an artistic competition.
(b) Register to vote.
(c) Go to University.
(d) Join the military.
11. What did Mrs. Heath Jones encourage her students to do?
(a) Write to politicians.
(b) Participate in political protests.
(c) Go abroad to study.
(d) Read the newspaper.
12. Where did Edward do his officer's training?
13. In Chapter 2, what did Vera spend her time writing?
(a) Letters to politicians.
(c) Letters to penpals around the world.
(d) Newspaper articles.
14. Whom did Vera become closer to after Roland died?
(b) The Head Nurse.
15. When was Vera's nursing contract with the 1st London General set to expire?
Short Answer Questions
1. In which month did Vera's night duty end?
2. How far were Vera's lodgings from the hospital?
3. How many women did Vera share a room with at the hostel?
4. What did Vera and Roland discuss after having dinner with her parents?
5. Where did Edward say there was a chance his regiment would be sent in Chapter 4?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)