|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Edward tell his father at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) The he failed his university entrance exams.
(b) That he was going to fight in Europe.
(c) That he would not attend University unless Vera did
(d) That he would go to Harvard.
2. Where did Edward say there was a chance his regiment would be sent in Chapter 4?
(a) The Persian Gulf.
(b) To Berlin.
(c) To a Greek island.
(d) To Northern Italy.
3. What did Vera's coworkers tease her about in Chapter 5?
(a) Being disciplined by the Head Nurse.
(b) Constantly forgetting things.
(c) Wearing old-fashioned shoes.
(d) Running off to get married.
4. Who changed Vera's father's mind about the education of women?
(a) A businessman.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) Vera's grandmother.
5. What did Roland's mother think of Vera?
(a) That she was clever.
(b) That she was charming.
(c) That she was spoiled.
(d) That she was timid.
6. What did Vera once have a dream about after finishing University?
(a) Edward being lost at sea.
(b) Roland dying in France.
(c) Her wedding.
(d) London being bombed.
7. In Chapter 5, who moved into quarters next to the hospital with Vera and Betty?
8. Where was Edward's regiment sent in Chapter 4?
9. What did Vera do after Roland left for France?
(a) Started teaching at a nursery school.
(b) Focused on writing in Buxton.
(c) Returned to her studies at Oxford.
(d) Transferred to an art school.
10. Where did Vera's family move when she was eleven years old?
11. What did the locals ridicule Vera for in Chapter 2?
(a) Wearing the latest fashions.
(b) Speaking Latin in the village.
(c) Spending most of her time in London.
(d) Studying hard.
12. When was Vera's nursing contract with the 1st London General set to expire?
13. While on leave from work in Chapter 5, where did Vera travel to?
14. What did Vera and Roland discuss after having dinner with her parents?
(a) Breaking up.
(b) Visiting some school friends.
(d) Going on a trip together.
15. Where did Vera receive an appointment to work at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) The Royal London Hospital.
(b) The 1st London General Hospital.
(c) King's College Hospital.
(d) Westminster Hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Mina have an affair with in Chapter 4?
2. Which battle made Vera fear for Roland's safety?
3. Where was Roland's family estate?
4. What did Vera volunteer for in Chapter 6?
5. What did Mrs. Heath Jones introduce Vera to while she was at school?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)