|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Oxford exam did Vera sit and pass in Chapter 3?
(a) Modern history.
2. In Chapter 6, what did Vera tell the Principal at Somerville?
(a) That she wanted to do her studies via correspondence.
(b) That women were treated badly at Oxford.
(c) That she would not resume her studies until the war was over.
(d) That she would resume her studies the following autumn.
3. In Chapter 5, who moved into quarters next to the hospital with Vera and Betty?
4. In which month did Vera begin her work training after finishing at Oxford?
(a) In June.
(b) In August.
(c) In September.
(d) In November.
5. What happened to Vera one day while working in the ward?
(a) She collapsed.
(b) She was yelled at by a doctor.
(c) She sprained her ankle.
(d) She came down with a high fever.
6. How far was the location of Vera's training from Buxton?
(a) Half an hour.
(b) Ten minutes.
(c) Two hours.
(d) One hour.
7. What did Vera attend while in London to see Roland?
(a) A war fundraiser.
(b) A job interview.
(c) A debutant ball.
(d) A suffrage rally.
8. What illness did Vera and Betty contract in Chapter 6?
(a) Scarlet fever.
(d) German measles.
9. How did Vera act at work after Roland's death?
10. Which of Vera's boarding school friends did she lose touch with after becoming a nurse?
11. Who visited Vera near the end of the term in Chapter 4?
(c) Her mother.
12. What did Vera find out when she went to Brighton to wait for Roland?
(a) That her father had had a heart attack.
(b) That Roland had died.
(c) That one of her short stories was to be published.
(d) That Edward had been wounded.
13. In Chapter 2, what did Vera spend her time writing?
(a) Letters to penpals around the world.
(b) Letters to politicians.
(d) Newspaper articles.
14. Which battle made Vera fear for Roland's safety?
(a) The Battle of Loos.
(b) The Battle of Lone Pine.
(c) The Battle of Guillemont.
(d) The Battle of Ypres.
15. What did Edward tell Vera in a letter in Chapter 6?
(a) That he had been wounded.
(b) That he was leaving the army.
(c) That he had gotten engaged.
(d) That he was returning to England.
Short Answer Questions
1. What group did Vera become involved in at Oxford in Chapter 3?
2. Where did Vera live while working at the 1st London General Hospital?
3. What did the locals ridicule Vera for in Chapter 2?
4. Where was Roland's family estate?
5. In which month did Roland leave for the front in France?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)