|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who visited Vera near the end of the term in Chapter 4?
(a) Her mother.
2. What happened to Vera one day while working in the ward?
(a) She sprained her ankle.
(b) She was yelled at by a doctor.
(c) She came down with a high fever.
(d) She collapsed.
3. What did Edward tell his family about when he returned from camp?
(a) A concert he went to.
(b) Witnessing a hotel fire.
(c) Flooding in the north.
(d) Seeing trains full of troops.
4. In Chapter 2, where did Edward and his friends intend to go after their school term ended?
(a) A fishing camp.
(b) A boy scout camp.
(c) A military camp.
(d) An academic study camp.
5. Where did Vera live while working at the 1st London General Hospital?
(a) In a hostel.
(b) In an apartment.
(c) In a dormitory.
(d) In a hotel.
6. What did Vera do after Roland left for France?
(a) Focused on writing in Buxton.
(b) Transferred to an art school.
(c) Returned to her studies at Oxford.
(d) Started teaching at a nursery school.
7. What did Edward need his father's permission to do?
(a) Enter an artistic competition.
(b) Go to University.
(c) Join the military.
(d) Register to vote.
8. What is the name of the boarding school friend Vera kept in touch with for many years?
9. How far were Vera's lodgings from the hospital?
(a) Half a mile.
(b) One and a half miles.
(c) Three miles.
(d) Next door.
10. What did Roland send to Vera after being sent to the front?
(a) An amethyst brooch.
(b) Ruby earrings.
(c) A pearl necklace.
(d) A diamond ring.
11. Why did Vera's father retire?
(a) He had a disagreement with his associates.
(b) He was diagnosed with cancer.
(c) He was too old to continue working.
(d) His business started losing money.
12. What did Vera's maternal grandfather do for a living?
(a) He was a musician.
(b) He was a professor.
(c) He was a writer.
(d) He was a painter.
13. How did Vera feel about her provincial life?
(a) That is was lonely.
(b) That it was difficult.
(c) That it was ideal.
(d) That it was boring.
14. What did Mrs. Heath Jones introduce Vera to while she was at school?
(c) The civil rights movement.
(d) The feminist movement.
15. When did Vera sit for her university examination?
(a) One month before WWI began.
(b) Two weeks before WWI began.
(c) Four days before WWI began.
(d) On the day WWI began.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which month did Vera's night duty end?
2. What did Vera once have a dream about after finishing University?
3. Who changed Vera's father's mind about the education of women?
4. What did Vera intend to do after she finished at Oxford?
5. Where was Roland to be sent in Chapter 2?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)