|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which month did Vera's night duty end?
2. In what year did Vera make her debut in London?
3. Where did Vera's parents move to from Buxton?
4. How many women did Vera share a room with at the hostel?
5. What did Roland's mother think of Vera?
(a) That she was charming.
(b) That she was spoiled.
(c) That she was clever.
(d) That she was timid.
6. When was Vera's nursing contract with the 1st London General set to expire?
7. What did Vera do after Roland left for France?
(a) Focused on writing in Buxton.
(b) Started teaching at a nursery school.
(c) Transferred to an art school.
(d) Returned to her studies at Oxford.
8. In Chapter 2, what did Vera spend her time writing?
(b) Newspaper articles.
(c) Letters to politicians.
(d) Letters to penpals around the world.
9. What did the locals ridicule Vera for in Chapter 2?
(a) Speaking Latin in the village.
(b) Wearing the latest fashions.
(c) Studying hard.
(d) Spending most of her time in London.
10. Which of Edward's friends did Vera strike up a friendship with in Chapter 2?
11. Where did Edward say there was a chance his regiment would be sent in Chapter 4?
(a) The Persian Gulf.
(b) To Northern Italy.
(c) To a Greek island.
(d) To Berlin.
12. Why did Vera's father retire?
(a) He was diagnosed with cancer.
(b) His business started losing money.
(c) He had a disagreement with his associates.
(d) He was too old to continue working.
13. What happened on the train ride from London to Buxton in Chapter 4?
(a) Roland became ill.
(b) Vera told Roland she was going to America.
(c) Roland and Vera had their first argument.
(d) Roland and Vera got engaged.
14. Where did Vera go for comfort during her last semester at Oxford?
(a) At a gallery.
(b) At her aunt's home.
(c) At the library.
(d) At the chapel.
15. What did Vera often do at the hospital?
(a) Prepared dressing trays.
(b) Stitched up wounds.
(c) Set bones.
(d) Counseled patients.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Vera feel about her provincial life?
2. Who was injured at Ypres in Chapter 6?
3. What did Vera intend to do after she finished at Oxford?
4. What illness did Vera and Betty contract in Chapter 6?
5. Why did the length of Vera's letters to Roland decrease?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)