|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Vera go for comfort during her last semester at Oxford?
(a) At the chapel.
(b) At a gallery.
(c) At the library.
(d) At her aunt's home.
2. What did Vera and Roland discuss after having dinner with her parents?
(a) Visiting some school friends.
(c) Breaking up.
(d) Going on a trip together.
3. When was Vera's nursing contract with the 1st London General set to expire?
4. Where was Edward's regiment sent in Chapter 4?
5. Whom did Vera become closer to after Roland died?
(d) The Head Nurse.
6. What was evident from the way Vera worked after Roland died?
(a) That she wanted to save others from Roland's fate.
(b) That she no longer liked working at the hospital.
(c) That she felt like she was among family at the hospital.
(d) That she didn't believe Roland was dead.
7. What did Vera volunteer for in Chapter 6?
(a) For the Women's Royal Naval Service.
(b) For tutoring students hoping to go to Oxford.
(c) For work at a newspaper.
(d) For the foreign service.
8. Who did Vera have problems with in Chapter 4?
(a) A doctor at the hospital.
(b) Her father.
(c) The Head of Nursing.
(d) One of her patients.
9. When did Vera sit for her university examination?
(a) Two weeks before WWI began.
(b) On the day WWI began.
(c) Four days before WWI began.
(d) One month before WWI began.
10. What did Vera's coworkers tease her about in Chapter 5?
(a) Wearing old-fashioned shoes.
(b) Running off to get married.
(c) Being disciplined by the Head Nurse.
(d) Constantly forgetting things.
11. Which of Edward's friends did Vera strike up a friendship with in Chapter 2?
12. Where did Vera's family move when she was eleven years old?
13. What did Edward need his father's permission to do?
(a) Enter an artistic competition.
(b) Go to University.
(c) Join the military.
(d) Register to vote.
14. How many women did Vera share a room with at the hostel?
15. Who changed Vera's father's mind about the education of women?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A businessman.
(c) A doctor.
(d) Vera's grandmother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vera pass the examination for in Chapter 3?
2. In Chapter 2, where did Edward and his friends intend to go after their school term ended?
3. Who was injured at Ypres in Chapter 6?
4. In Chapter 2, what did Vera spend her time writing?
5. What did Vera often do at the hospital?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)