|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the length of Vera's letters to Roland decrease?
(a) She had to ration her letter-writing paper.
(b) She wasn't allowed to say what happened at the hospital.
(c) She ran out of things to say to Roland.
(d) She didn't have time to write to Roland.
2. How did Vera feel about her provincial life?
(a) That is was lonely.
(b) That it was ideal.
(c) That it was difficult.
(d) That it was boring.
3. Which of Vera's boarding school friends did she lose touch with after becoming a nurse?
4. Where did Vera go for comfort during her last semester at Oxford?
(a) At the library.
(b) At a gallery.
(c) At her aunt's home.
(d) At the chapel.
5. What did Mrs. Heath Jones introduce Vera to while she was at school?
(b) The feminist movement.
(c) The civil rights movement.
6. What was evident from the way Vera worked after Roland died?
(a) That she no longer liked working at the hospital.
(b) That she wanted to save others from Roland's fate.
(c) That she didn't believe Roland was dead.
(d) That she felt like she was among family at the hospital.
7. What is the name of Vera's brother?
8. Which battle made Vera fear for Roland's safety?
(a) The Battle of Loos.
(b) The Battle of Ypres.
(c) The Battle of Guillemont.
(d) The Battle of Lone Pine.
9. Who visited Vera near the end of the term in Chapter 4?
(d) Her mother.
10. Where did Edward do his officer's training?
11. What did Vera attend at her brother's school in Chapter 2?
(a) Speech day.
(b) Open House day.
(c) Exam day.
(d) Sports day.
12. After the war began, what did the townspeople do when they began to panic?
(a) Took all of their savings out of the bank.
(b) Stockpiled food.
(c) Fled from the town.
(d) Planted vegetable gardens.
13. Where did Vera live while working at the 1st London General Hospital?
(a) In an apartment.
(b) In a dormitory.
(c) In a hotel.
(d) In a hostel.
14. What illness did Vera and Betty contract in Chapter 6?
(a) German measles.
(d) Scarlet fever.
15. What sport did Vera participate in while at Oxford?
(b) Field hockey.
(c) Show jumping.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Vera begin to do volunteer work?
2. What is the name of the boarding school friend Vera kept in touch with for many years?
3. What did Vera often do at the hospital?
4. What group did Vera become involved in at Oxford in Chapter 3?
5. In what year did Vera make her debut in London?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)