|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Vera's family move when she was eleven years old?
(a) To be near her grandparents.
(b) Because her father's job was transferred.
(c) Because they couldn't afford to live in the city anymore.
(d) To be near good schools.
2. What is the name of Vera's brother?
3. In Chapter 2, what did Vera spend her time writing?
(a) Letters to politicians.
(b) Newspaper articles.
(c) Letters to penpals around the world.
4. Where was Roland to be sent in Chapter 2?
(d) North Africa.
5. Where did Vera's parents move to from Buxton?
6. What did Vera find out when she went to Brighton to wait for Roland?
(a) That one of her short stories was to be published.
(b) That Roland had died.
(c) That Edward had been wounded.
(d) That her father had had a heart attack.
7. How did Vera act at work after Roland's death?
8. While on leave from work in Chapter 5, where did Vera travel to?
9. What did Vera begin to do after she finished school?
(a) Write a novel.
(b) Write in a diary.
(c) Save her money so she could travel.
(d) Work a part-time job.
10. What did Vera intend to do after she finished at Oxford?
(a) Continue her studies at Cambridge.
(b) Get married.
(c) Go into nursing.
(d) Work for a newspaper.
11. What is the name of the boarding school friend Vera kept in touch with for many years?
12. What did Vera pass the examination for in Chapter 3?
(a) Child care.
(b) Veterinary care.
(c) Driving an automobile.
(d) First aid.
13. In which month did Vera's night duty end?
14. Where did Vera begin to do volunteer work?
(a) A hospital in Cornwall.
(b) A hospital in Wiltshire.
(c) A hospital in Devonshire.
(d) A hospital in Dorset.
15. Where did Edward do his officer's training?
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness did Vera and Betty contract in Chapter 6?
2. What Oxford exam did Vera sit and pass in Chapter 3?
3. In Chapter 6, what did Vera tell the Principal at Somerville?
4. What did Edward tell his father at the end of Chapter 2?
5. What happened to Vera one day while working in the ward?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)