|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Vera's parents move to from Buxton?
2. What did Vera pass the examination for in Chapter 3?
(a) First aid.
(b) Driving an automobile.
(c) Veterinary care.
(d) Child care.
3. Why did Vera's father retire?
(a) He was too old to continue working.
(b) He had a disagreement with his associates.
(c) His business started losing money.
(d) He was diagnosed with cancer.
4. How long was the journey from Buxton to London by train?
(a) Three hours.
(b) One hour.
(c) Two hours.
(d) Four hours.
5. Where did Edward do his officer's training?
6. What did Vera attend while in London to see Roland?
(a) A suffrage rally.
(b) A debutant ball.
(c) A job interview.
(d) A war fundraiser.
7. Which of Edward's friends did Vera strike up a friendship with in Chapter 2?
8. What did Vera attend at her brother's school in Chapter 2?
(a) Open House day.
(b) Speech day.
(c) Exam day.
(d) Sports day.
9. What Oxford exam did Vera sit and pass in Chapter 3?
(d) Modern history.
10. What happened to Vera one day while working in the ward?
(a) She was yelled at by a doctor.
(b) She collapsed.
(c) She came down with a high fever.
(d) She sprained her ankle.
11. Which college at the university does Vera decide to enter?
(a) Somerville College.
(b) Exeter College.
(c) Magdalen College.
(d) Trinity College.
12. Why did the length of Vera's letters to Roland decrease?
(a) She didn't have time to write to Roland.
(b) She ran out of things to say to Roland.
(c) She had to ration her letter-writing paper.
(d) She wasn't allowed to say what happened at the hospital.
13. What did Vera do after Roland left for France?
(a) Focused on writing in Buxton.
(b) Transferred to an art school.
(c) Started teaching at a nursery school.
(d) Returned to her studies at Oxford.
14. Where did Vera receive an appointment to work at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) The 1st London General Hospital.
(b) King's College Hospital.
(c) Westminster Hospital.
(d) The Royal London Hospital.
15. What did Vera once have a dream about after finishing University?
(a) Her wedding.
(b) Edward being lost at sea.
(c) Roland dying in France.
(d) London being bombed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mrs. Heath Jones encourage her students to do?
2. What did Vera volunteer for in Chapter 6?
3. How long were Vera and Betty in the hospital due to their illness?
4. What did Vera find out when she went to Brighton to wait for Roland?
5. What field did Roland's mother work in?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)