|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Vera attend at her brother's school in Chapter 2?
(a) Open House day.
(b) Sports day.
(c) Speech day.
(d) Exam day.
2. When did Vera sit for her university examination?
(a) Two weeks before WWI began.
(b) One month before WWI began.
(c) Four days before WWI began.
(d) On the day WWI began.
3. In Chapter 6, what did Vera tell the Principal at Somerville?
(a) That women were treated badly at Oxford.
(b) That she wanted to do her studies via correspondence.
(c) That she would not resume her studies until the war was over.
(d) That she would resume her studies the following autumn.
4. How long was the journey from Buxton to London by train?
(a) Three hours.
(b) Four hours.
(c) Two hours.
(d) One hour.
5. When was Vera's nursing contract with the 1st London General set to expire?
6. In Chapter 5, who moved into quarters next to the hospital with Vera and Betty?
7. What did Vera once have a dream about after finishing University?
(a) Roland dying in France.
(b) London being bombed.
(c) Edward being lost at sea.
(d) Her wedding.
8. What did Vera intend to do after she finished at Oxford?
(a) Continue her studies at Cambridge.
(b) Go into nursing.
(c) Work for a newspaper.
(d) Get married.
9. Why was Roland at first refused by the military?
(a) He had pneumonia.
(b) He was underage.
(c) He was deaf in one ear.
(d) He had poor eyesight.
10. Where was Roland to be sent in Chapter 2?
(c) North Africa.
11. Why did the length of Vera's letters to Roland decrease?
(a) She didn't have time to write to Roland.
(b) She ran out of things to say to Roland.
(c) She wasn't allowed to say what happened at the hospital.
(d) She had to ration her letter-writing paper.
12. In what year did Vera make her debut in London?
13. Where was Edward's regiment sent in Chapter 4?
14. What did Mrs. Heath Jones encourage her students to do?
(a) Participate in political protests.
(b) Write to politicians.
(c) Go abroad to study.
(d) Read the newspaper.
15. What did Vera begin to do after she finished school?
(a) Work a part-time job.
(b) Write a novel.
(c) Save her money so she could travel.
(d) Write in a diary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sport did Vera participate in while at Oxford?
2. What group did Vera become involved in at Oxford in Chapter 3?
3. In Chapter 2, where did Edward and his friends intend to go after their school term ended?
4. Who visited Vera near the end of the term in Chapter 4?
5. What happened on the train ride from London to Buxton in Chapter 4?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)