|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Edward tell his father at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) The he failed his university entrance exams.
(b) That he would not attend University unless Vera did
(c) That he was going to fight in Europe.
(d) That he would go to Harvard.
2. Where did Edward say there was a chance his regiment would be sent in Chapter 4?
(a) To Berlin.
(b) To a Greek island.
(c) The Persian Gulf.
(d) To Northern Italy.
3. Why did Vera's family move when she was eleven years old?
(a) To be near good schools.
(b) Because they couldn't afford to live in the city anymore.
(c) To be near her grandparents.
(d) Because her father's job was transferred.
4. What did Vera attend at her brother's school in Chapter 2?
(a) Open House day.
(b) Sports day.
(c) Speech day.
(d) Exam day.
5. Where did Vera's parents move to from Buxton?
6. Which university did Vera's father agree to send her to?
(d) St. Andrews.
7. In which month did Roland leave for the front in France?
8. How long were Vera and Betty in the hospital due to their illness?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) One week.
(c) Two months.
(d) One month.
9. How did Vera feel about her provincial life?
(a) That it was boring.
(b) That it was ideal.
(c) That it was difficult.
(d) That is was lonely.
10. Why did the length of Vera's letters to Roland decrease?
(a) She had to ration her letter-writing paper.
(b) She wasn't allowed to say what happened at the hospital.
(c) She didn't have time to write to Roland.
(d) She ran out of things to say to Roland.
11. What happened to Vera one day while working in the ward?
(a) She came down with a high fever.
(b) She collapsed.
(c) She was yelled at by a doctor.
(d) She sprained her ankle.
12. Which of Edward's friends did Vera strike up a friendship with in Chapter 2?
13. In Chapter 2, where did Edward and his friends intend to go after their school term ended?
(a) A military camp.
(b) A fishing camp.
(c) A boy scout camp.
(d) An academic study camp.
14. What group did Vera become involved in at Oxford in Chapter 3?
(a) A suffrage organization.
(b) A pacifism organization.
(c) A humorist group.
(d) A journalism group.
15. What did Edward tell his family about when he returned from camp?
(a) Flooding in the north.
(b) A concert he went to.
(c) Seeing trains full of troops.
(d) Witnessing a hotel fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mrs. Heath Jones introduce Vera to while she was at school?
2. What field did Roland's mother work in?
3. When was Vera's nursing contract with the 1st London General set to expire?
4. Where did Vera begin to do volunteer work?
5. What did Vera begin to do after she finished school?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)