|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Vera go back to Buxton in Chapter 3?
(a) For her birthday.
(b) For a funeral.
(c) For Easter.
(d) For Christmas.
2. Where was Roland to be sent in Chapter 2?
(a) North Africa.
3. Where did Vera live while working at the 1st London General Hospital?
(a) In a hotel.
(b) In a dormitory.
(c) In a hostel.
(d) In an apartment.
4. What did Vera do after Roland left for France?
(a) Focused on writing in Buxton.
(b) Returned to her studies at Oxford.
(c) Started teaching at a nursery school.
(d) Transferred to an art school.
5. What did Edward tell his father at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) That he was going to fight in Europe.
(b) That he would go to Harvard.
(c) The he failed his university entrance exams.
(d) That he would not attend University unless Vera did
6. In Chapter 5, who moved into quarters next to the hospital with Vera and Betty?
7. What field did Roland's mother work in?
8. Who was injured at Ypres in Chapter 6?
(c) Vera's cousin.
9. How many women did Vera share a room with at the hostel?
10. What happened on the train ride from London to Buxton in Chapter 4?
(a) Roland and Vera had their first argument.
(b) Roland and Vera got engaged.
(c) Roland became ill.
(d) Vera told Roland she was going to America.
11. Where did Edward say there was a chance his regiment would be sent in Chapter 4?
(a) The Persian Gulf.
(b) To Berlin.
(c) To a Greek island.
(d) To Northern Italy.
12. What did Vera attend while in London to see Roland?
(a) A job interview.
(b) A war fundraiser.
(c) A debutant ball.
(d) A suffrage rally.
13. What was Vera reprimanded for doing in Chapter 1?
(a) Taking part in a political protest.
(b) Talking to her brother's friends.
(c) Dressing in boys' clothes.
(d) Skipping school.
14. What sport did Vera participate in while at Oxford?
(b) Show jumping.
(d) Field hockey.
15. What did Vera intend to do after she finished at Oxford?
(a) Work for a newspaper.
(b) Get married.
(c) Continue her studies at Cambridge.
(d) Go into nursing.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far were Vera's lodgings from the hospital?
2. When was Vera's nursing contract with the 1st London General set to expire?
3. What did Mrs. Heath Jones introduce Vera to while she was at school?
4. What did Edward tell Vera in a letter in Chapter 6?
5. Which college at the university does Vera decide to enter?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)