|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Vera do after Roland left for France?
(a) Focused on writing in Buxton.
(b) Returned to her studies at Oxford.
(c) Transferred to an art school.
(d) Started teaching at a nursery school.
2. Why did Vera go back to Buxton in Chapter 3?
(a) For Easter.
(b) For a funeral.
(c) For her birthday.
(d) For Christmas.
3. Why did the length of Vera's letters to Roland decrease?
(a) She ran out of things to say to Roland.
(b) She didn't have time to write to Roland.
(c) She wasn't allowed to say what happened at the hospital.
(d) She had to ration her letter-writing paper.
4. What did Vera begin to do after she finished school?
(a) Work a part-time job.
(b) Write a novel.
(c) Save her money so she could travel.
(d) Write in a diary.
5. What did Vera and Roland discuss after having dinner with her parents?
(a) Going on a trip together.
(b) Visiting some school friends.
(c) Breaking up.
6. Which university did Vera's father agree to send her to?
(b) St. Andrews.
7. In Chapter 2, what did Vera spend her time writing?
(b) Newspaper articles.
(c) Letters to politicians.
(d) Letters to penpals around the world.
8. Which battle made Vera fear for Roland's safety?
(a) The Battle of Ypres.
(b) The Battle of Guillemont.
(c) The Battle of Lone Pine.
(d) The Battle of Loos.
9. Why did Vera's family move when she was eleven years old?
(a) Because her father's job was transferred.
(b) Because they couldn't afford to live in the city anymore.
(c) To be near good schools.
(d) To be near her grandparents.
10. What is the name of the boarding school friend Vera kept in touch with for many years?
11. Where did Vera's family move when she was eleven years old?
12. Who did Vera have problems with in Chapter 4?
(a) One of her patients.
(b) Her father.
(c) A doctor at the hospital.
(d) The Head of Nursing.
13. Who did Mina have an affair with in Chapter 4?
(a) A professor.
(b) An artist.
(c) A musician.
(d) A poet.
14. What did Edward tell Vera in a letter in Chapter 6?
(a) That he had gotten engaged.
(b) That he was leaving the army.
(c) That he had been wounded.
(d) That he was returning to England.
15. Which college at the university does Vera decide to enter?
(a) Exeter College.
(b) Somerville College.
(c) Trinity College.
(d) Magdalen College.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Roland say he would have leave in Chapter 5?
2. After the war began, what did the townspeople do when they began to panic?
3. Whom did Vera become closer to after Roland died?
4. How did Vera feel about her provincial life?
5. Which of Vera's boarding school friends did she lose touch with after becoming a nurse?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)