|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Vera do after Roland left for France?
(a) Started teaching at a nursery school.
(b) Focused on writing in Buxton.
(c) Returned to her studies at Oxford.
(d) Transferred to an art school.
2. Which of Vera's boarding school friends did she lose touch with after becoming a nurse?
3. What did Mrs. Heath Jones encourage her students to do?
(a) Read the newspaper.
(b) Participate in political protests.
(c) Write to politicians.
(d) Go abroad to study.
4. Where did Vera go for comfort during her last semester at Oxford?
(a) At a gallery.
(b) At her aunt's home.
(c) At the library.
(d) At the chapel.
5. What did Vera attend at her brother's school in Chapter 2?
(a) Exam day.
(b) Speech day.
(c) Sports day.
(d) Open House day.
6. Where did Vera's parents move to from Buxton?
7. How did Vera feel about her provincial life?
(a) That it was ideal.
(b) That it was boring.
(c) That is was lonely.
(d) That it was difficult.
8. What did Vera's coworkers tease her about in Chapter 5?
(a) Wearing old-fashioned shoes.
(b) Running off to get married.
(c) Constantly forgetting things.
(d) Being disciplined by the Head Nurse.
9. What happened on the train ride from London to Buxton in Chapter 4?
(a) Vera told Roland she was going to America.
(b) Roland became ill.
(c) Roland and Vera got engaged.
(d) Roland and Vera had their first argument.
10. Where did Edward do his officer's training?
11. How did Vera act at work after Roland's death?
12. Who visited Vera near the end of the term in Chapter 4?
(a) Her mother.
13. What was Vera reprimanded for doing in Chapter 1?
(a) Talking to her brother's friends.
(b) Skipping school.
(c) Dressing in boys' clothes.
(d) Taking part in a political protest.
14. Where did Vera live while working at the 1st London General Hospital?
(a) In a hotel.
(b) In an apartment.
(c) In a dormitory.
(d) In a hostel.
15. In Chapter 2, where did Edward and his friends intend to go after their school term ended?
(a) A fishing camp.
(b) A military camp.
(c) A boy scout camp.
(d) An academic study camp.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Edward say there was a chance his regiment would be sent in Chapter 4?
2. In what year did Vera make her debut in London?
3. After the war began, what did the townspeople do when they began to panic?
4. What did Vera often do at the hospital?
5. Who was injured at Ypres in Chapter 6?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)