|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Oxford exam did Vera sit and pass in Chapter 3?
(b) Modern history.
2. After the war began, what did the townspeople do when they began to panic?
(a) Fled from the town.
(b) Stockpiled food.
(c) Planted vegetable gardens.
(d) Took all of their savings out of the bank.
3. Where did Vera's parents move to from Buxton?
4. Which of Edward's friends did Vera strike up a friendship with in Chapter 2?
5. What did Vera volunteer for in Chapter 6?
(a) For the foreign service.
(b) For the Women's Royal Naval Service.
(c) For tutoring students hoping to go to Oxford.
(d) For work at a newspaper.
6. Where did Vera begin to do volunteer work?
(a) A hospital in Dorset.
(b) A hospital in Devonshire.
(c) A hospital in Cornwall.
(d) A hospital in Wiltshire.
7. What did Vera's maternal grandfather do for a living?
(a) He was a writer.
(b) He was a painter.
(c) He was a musician.
(d) He was a professor.
8. What did Vera attend while in London to see Roland?
(a) A war fundraiser.
(b) A job interview.
(c) A suffrage rally.
(d) A debutant ball.
9. What happened to Vera one day while working in the ward?
(a) She sprained her ankle.
(b) She was yelled at by a doctor.
(c) She came down with a high fever.
(d) She collapsed.
10. What is the name of the school Vera was sent to at age thirteen?
(a) St. Margaret's.
(b) St. Anne's.
(c) St. Monica's.
(d) St. Agatha's.
11. Which of Vera's boarding school friends did she lose touch with after becoming a nurse?
12. What did Edward hint that Vera and Roland should do in Chapter 4?
(a) Move to America.
(b) Throw Edward a birthday party.
(d) Break up.
13. What did Roland's mother think of Vera?
(a) That she was spoiled.
(b) That she was clever.
(c) That she was charming.
(d) That she was timid.
14. What did Edward tell his father at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) The he failed his university entrance exams.
(b) That he would go to Harvard.
(c) That he would not attend University unless Vera did
(d) That he was going to fight in Europe.
15. While on leave from work in Chapter 5, where did Vera travel to?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visited Vera near the end of the term in Chapter 4?
2. What did Edward need his father's permission to do?
3. What is the name of the boarding school friend Vera kept in touch with for many years?
4. How many women did Vera share a room with at the hostel?
5. What group did Vera become involved in at Oxford in Chapter 3?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)