|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the locals ridicule Vera for in Chapter 2?
(a) Spending most of her time in London.
(b) Studying hard.
(c) Wearing the latest fashions.
(d) Speaking Latin in the village.
2. In which month did Vera begin her work training after finishing at Oxford?
(a) In November.
(b) In June.
(c) In September.
(d) In August.
3. What happened to Vera one day while working in the ward?
(a) She was yelled at by a doctor.
(b) She collapsed.
(c) She came down with a high fever.
(d) She sprained her ankle.
4. Where did Vera begin to do volunteer work?
(a) A hospital in Dorset.
(b) A hospital in Wiltshire.
(c) A hospital in Cornwall.
(d) A hospital in Devonshire.
5. What did Edward tell his family about when he returned from camp?
(a) Flooding in the north.
(b) Seeing trains full of troops.
(c) Witnessing a hotel fire.
(d) A concert he went to.
6. In Chapter 2, what did Vera spend her time writing?
(a) Letters to penpals around the world.
(b) Newspaper articles.
(c) Letters to politicians.
7. What did Roland send to Vera after being sent to the front?
(a) A diamond ring.
(b) An amethyst brooch.
(c) Ruby earrings.
(d) A pearl necklace.
8. Which battle made Vera fear for Roland's safety?
(a) The Battle of Ypres.
(b) The Battle of Loos.
(c) The Battle of Guillemont.
(d) The Battle of Lone Pine.
9. Where was Roland to be sent in Chapter 2?
(a) North Africa.
10. In Chapter 5, who moved into quarters next to the hospital with Vera and Betty?
11. Where did Vera receive an appointment to work at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) The Royal London Hospital.
(b) King's College Hospital.
(c) Westminster Hospital.
(d) The 1st London General Hospital.
12. How did Vera act at work after Roland's death?
13. What group did Vera become involved in at Oxford in Chapter 3?
(a) A journalism group.
(b) A suffrage organization.
(c) A humorist group.
(d) A pacifism organization.
14. Which university did Vera's father agree to send her to?
(d) St. Andrews.
15. Who was injured at Ypres in Chapter 6?
(c) Vera's cousin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visited Vera near the end of the term in Chapter 4?
2. What did Vera do after Roland left for France?
3. In which month did Vera's night duty end?
4. Where did Vera's family move when she was eleven years old?
5. What was Vera reprimanded for doing in Chapter 1?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)