|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mrs. Heath Jones encourage her students to do?
(a) Participate in political protests.
(b) Go abroad to study.
(c) Write to politicians.
(d) Read the newspaper.
2. Who visited Vera near the end of the term in Chapter 4?
(d) Her mother.
3. What did Vera attend while in London to see Roland?
(a) A debutant ball.
(b) A war fundraiser.
(c) A suffrage rally.
(d) A job interview.
4. While on leave from work in Chapter 5, where did Vera travel to?
5. What did the locals ridicule Vera for in Chapter 2?
(a) Wearing the latest fashions.
(b) Studying hard.
(c) Spending most of her time in London.
(d) Speaking Latin in the village.
6. What did Edward tell his father at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) That he was going to fight in Europe.
(b) That he would go to Harvard.
(c) The he failed his university entrance exams.
(d) That he would not attend University unless Vera did
7. What did Edward hint that Vera and Roland should do in Chapter 4?
(b) Break up.
(c) Move to America.
(d) Throw Edward a birthday party.
8. Why was Roland at first refused by the military?
(a) He had poor eyesight.
(b) He had pneumonia.
(c) He was underage.
(d) He was deaf in one ear.
9. How long were Vera and Betty in the hospital due to their illness?
(a) Two months.
(b) One week.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) One month.
10. What happened on the train ride from London to Buxton in Chapter 4?
(a) Roland and Vera got engaged.
(b) Roland became ill.
(c) Roland and Vera had their first argument.
(d) Vera told Roland she was going to America.
11. What did Mrs. Heath Jones introduce Vera to while she was at school?
(a) The feminist movement.
(c) The civil rights movement.
12. What did Vera do after Roland left for France?
(a) Focused on writing in Buxton.
(b) Started teaching at a nursery school.
(c) Returned to her studies at Oxford.
(d) Transferred to an art school.
13. Which of Vera's boarding school friends did she lose touch with after becoming a nurse?
14. What did Roland send to Vera after being sent to the front?
(a) A pearl necklace.
(b) Ruby earrings.
(c) A diamond ring.
(d) An amethyst brooch.
15. In Chapter 2, where did Edward and his friends intend to go after their school term ended?
(a) An academic study camp.
(b) A fishing camp.
(c) A military camp.
(d) A boy scout camp.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Vera's family move when she was eleven years old?
2. What did Vera intend to do after she finished at Oxford?
3. What Oxford exam did Vera sit and pass in Chapter 3?
4. Which of Edward's friends did Vera strike up a friendship with in Chapter 2?
5. Who did Mina have an affair with in Chapter 4?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)