|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Vera's coworkers tease her about in Chapter 5?
(a) Being disciplined by the Head Nurse.
(b) Constantly forgetting things.
(c) Wearing old-fashioned shoes.
(d) Running off to get married.
2. What did Vera pass the examination for in Chapter 3?
(a) First aid.
(b) Driving an automobile.
(c) Veterinary care.
(d) Child care.
3. In which month did Vera's night duty end?
4. In Chapter 6, what did Vera tell the Principal at Somerville?
(a) That women were treated badly at Oxford.
(b) That she wanted to do her studies via correspondence.
(c) That she would not resume her studies until the war was over.
(d) That she would resume her studies the following autumn.
5. What did Edward tell Vera in a letter in Chapter 6?
(a) That he had been wounded.
(b) That he had gotten engaged.
(c) That he was leaving the army.
(d) That he was returning to England.
6. When was Vera's nursing contract with the 1st London General set to expire?
7. How did Vera act at work after Roland's death?
8. Who changed Vera's father's mind about the education of women?
(a) A businessman.
(b) A doctor.
(c) Vera's grandmother.
(d) A lawyer.
9. Why did Vera's father retire?
(a) He was diagnosed with cancer.
(b) He was too old to continue working.
(c) His business started losing money.
(d) He had a disagreement with his associates.
10. Which of Edward's friends did Vera strike up a friendship with in Chapter 2?
11. Where did Edward do his officer's training?
12. What did Vera attend at her brother's school in Chapter 2?
(a) Sports day.
(b) Exam day.
(c) Speech day.
(d) Open House day.
13. In Chapter 5, who moved into quarters next to the hospital with Vera and Betty?
14. Who was injured at Ypres in Chapter 6?
(d) Vera's cousin.
15. What is the name of the boarding school friend Vera kept in touch with for many years?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened on the train ride from London to Buxton in Chapter 4?
2. Whom did Vera become closer to after Roland died?
3. Where did Vera begin to do volunteer work?
4. What did Vera and Roland discuss after having dinner with her parents?
5. During her vacation from Oxford, what kind of work did Vera do?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)