|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the war began, what did the townspeople do when they began to panic?
(a) Stockpiled food.
(b) Planted vegetable gardens.
(c) Fled from the town.
(d) Took all of their savings out of the bank.
2. What was evident from the way Vera worked after Roland died?
(a) That she wanted to save others from Roland's fate.
(b) That she felt like she was among family at the hospital.
(c) That she no longer liked working at the hospital.
(d) That she didn't believe Roland was dead.
3. What Oxford exam did Vera sit and pass in Chapter 3?
(a) Modern history.
4. What did Edward hint that Vera and Roland should do in Chapter 4?
(a) Throw Edward a birthday party.
(c) Move to America.
(d) Break up.
5. What did the locals ridicule Vera for in Chapter 2?
(a) Speaking Latin in the village.
(b) Studying hard.
(c) Wearing the latest fashions.
(d) Spending most of her time in London.
6. What did Vera pass the examination for in Chapter 3?
(a) First aid.
(b) Driving an automobile.
(c) Veterinary care.
(d) Child care.
7. In Chapter 5, who moved into quarters next to the hospital with Vera and Betty?
8. What group did Vera become involved in at Oxford in Chapter 3?
(a) A pacifism organization.
(b) A humorist group.
(c) A journalism group.
(d) A suffrage organization.
9. In Chapter 6, what did Vera tell the Principal at Somerville?
(a) That she would resume her studies the following autumn.
(b) That she would not resume her studies until the war was over.
(c) That women were treated badly at Oxford.
(d) That she wanted to do her studies via correspondence.
10. Why did the length of Vera's letters to Roland decrease?
(a) She ran out of things to say to Roland.
(b) She had to ration her letter-writing paper.
(c) She didn't have time to write to Roland.
(d) She wasn't allowed to say what happened at the hospital.
11. How did Vera act at work after Roland's death?
12. What did Edward tell Vera in a letter in Chapter 6?
(a) That he was returning to England.
(b) That he was leaving the army.
(c) That he had gotten engaged.
(d) That he had been wounded.
13. Who changed Vera's father's mind about the education of women?
(a) A doctor.
(b) Vera's grandmother.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A businessman.
14. Where did Edward do his officer's training?
15. What is the name of the boarding school friend Vera kept in touch with for many years?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which college at the university does Vera decide to enter?
2. What did Vera attend while in London to see Roland?
3. What did Roland's mother think of Vera?
4. What did Vera often do at the hospital?
5. When did Vera sit for her university examination?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)