|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Edward tell his family about when he returned from camp?
(a) Flooding in the north.
(b) Seeing trains full of troops.
(c) Witnessing a hotel fire.
(d) A concert he went to.
2. Where did Vera go for comfort during her last semester at Oxford?
(a) At the chapel.
(b) At a gallery.
(c) At her aunt's home.
(d) At the library.
3. What did Vera begin to do after she finished school?
(a) Write in a diary.
(b) Work a part-time job.
(c) Save her money so she could travel.
(d) Write a novel.
4. Why did the length of Vera's letters to Roland decrease?
(a) She wasn't allowed to say what happened at the hospital.
(b) She didn't have time to write to Roland.
(c) She had to ration her letter-writing paper.
(d) She ran out of things to say to Roland.
5. What did Edward hint that Vera and Roland should do in Chapter 4?
(a) Throw Edward a birthday party.
(c) Break up.
(d) Move to America.
6. During her vacation from Oxford, what kind of work did Vera do?
(a) Publishing industry functions.
(c) Society tea parties.
(d) Anti-war rallies.
7. How long were Vera and Betty in the hospital due to their illness?
(a) Two months.
(b) One week.
(c) One month.
(d) Three weeks.
8. What did Mrs. Heath Jones introduce Vera to while she was at school?
(b) The feminist movement.
(d) The civil rights movement.
9. What did Vera intend to do after she finished at Oxford?
(a) Work for a newspaper.
(b) Continue her studies at Cambridge.
(c) Go into nursing.
(d) Get married.
10. What did Vera once have a dream about after finishing University?
(a) Roland dying in France.
(b) Her wedding.
(c) London being bombed.
(d) Edward being lost at sea.
11. What did Edward need his father's permission to do?
(a) Enter an artistic competition.
(b) Join the military.
(c) Go to University.
(d) Register to vote.
12. In which month did Vera's night duty end?
13. What did Vera's maternal grandfather do for a living?
(a) He was a professor.
(b) He was a writer.
(c) He was a painter.
(d) He was a musician.
14. Who changed Vera's father's mind about the education of women?
(a) Vera's grandmother.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A businessman.
15. Where was Edward's regiment sent in Chapter 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Vera's boarding school friends did she lose touch with after becoming a nurse?
2. Where did Vera begin to do volunteer work?
3. What did Vera often do at the hospital?
4. What did Edward tell Vera in a letter in Chapter 6?
5. Which university did Vera's father agree to send her to?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)