|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mrs. Heath Jones encourage her students to do?
(a) Read the newspaper.
(b) Write to politicians.
(c) Participate in political protests.
(d) Go abroad to study.
2. What was evident from the way Vera worked after Roland died?
(a) That she didn't believe Roland was dead.
(b) That she wanted to save others from Roland's fate.
(c) That she no longer liked working at the hospital.
(d) That she felt like she was among family at the hospital.
3. In which month did Vera begin her work training after finishing at Oxford?
(a) In November.
(b) In June.
(c) In September.
(d) In August.
4. What illness did Vera and Betty contract in Chapter 6?
(b) Scarlet fever.
(c) German measles.
5. In Chapter 6, what did Vera tell the Principal at Somerville?
(a) That she would not resume her studies until the war was over.
(b) That she wanted to do her studies via correspondence.
(c) That women were treated badly at Oxford.
(d) That she would resume her studies the following autumn.
6. Who changed Vera's father's mind about the education of women?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) Vera's grandmother.
(d) A businessman.
7. Where did Vera's family move when she was eleven years old?
8. Why did Vera's family move when she was eleven years old?
(a) Because they couldn't afford to live in the city anymore.
(b) To be near good schools.
(c) To be near her grandparents.
(d) Because her father's job was transferred.
9. Why did the length of Vera's letters to Roland decrease?
(a) She had to ration her letter-writing paper.
(b) She ran out of things to say to Roland.
(c) She didn't have time to write to Roland.
(d) She wasn't allowed to say what happened at the hospital.
10. Which battle made Vera fear for Roland's safety?
(a) The Battle of Loos.
(b) The Battle of Ypres.
(c) The Battle of Guillemont.
(d) The Battle of Lone Pine.
11. Where did Vera go for comfort during her last semester at Oxford?
(a) At the chapel.
(b) At the library.
(c) At a gallery.
(d) At her aunt's home.
12. What did Vera's maternal grandfather do for a living?
(a) He was a musician.
(b) He was a writer.
(c) He was a professor.
(d) He was a painter.
13. How far were Vera's lodgings from the hospital?
(a) Half a mile.
(b) One and a half miles.
(c) Next door.
(d) Three miles.
14. What did Mrs. Heath Jones introduce Vera to while she was at school?
(b) The feminist movement.
(c) The civil rights movement.
15. How far was the location of Vera's training from Buxton?
(a) Ten minutes.
(b) One hour.
(c) Two hours.
(d) Half an hour.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Vera feel about her provincial life?
2. Which of Edward's friends did Vera strike up a friendship with in Chapter 2?
3. After the war began, what did the townspeople do when they began to panic?
4. Where did Vera begin to do volunteer work?
5. When did Roland say he would have leave in Chapter 5?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)