|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides being an inventor, for what other role is Nikola Tesla known?
2. On what invention does Nikola Tesla claim he is working?
3. Whom does Lt. Hobson try to interest in robotry as a way to raise funds for Nikola Tesla?
4. What is rumored to have been developed in 1924 by Nikola Tesla?
5. What are the descendants of the Tesla flivver airplane?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nikola care for pigeons in Chapter 23, "Pigeons"?
2. What do Nikola and Ivan Mestrovic have in common, and how do they leverage those commonalities?
3. What happens when the New York Times publishes a story indicating that Tesla and Edison will receive a Nobel Prize in physics?
4. What is different about Nikola's flivver airplane, or flying stove, and other existing aircraft?
5. What use does Nikola describe for radar in Chapter 21, "Radar"?
6. In Chapter 26, "Corks on Water," explain why J.P. Morgan will not invest in proposals Nikola Tesla makes after the election of Franklin D. Roosevelt.
7. Describe Nikola's appearance and day-to-day circumstances as he enters his fifties as described in Chapter 18, "Midstream Perils".
8. What does the fact that Nikola Tesla tries to send a letter to the long-dead Mark Twain signal about his impending death?
9. In Chapter 19, "The Nobel Affair," for what two inventions does Nikola Tesla think he can collaborate with John Hays Hammond, Jr., and why?
10. What role does the National Research Council have in preventing Nikola from getting his ideas listened to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nikola has nothing but disdain for Orville Wright's aircraft technology. Therefore, he invents his own "flying stove" using early vertical takeoff technology that is not patented until 1928, and not utilized by two companies until after 1950. What reasons can you give for why Nikola is not able to prototype or commercialize this technology? Do you think at least some of his resistance to Wright's aircraft is due to personal or intellectual arrogance? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Nikola Tesla and Thomas Edison are two men with a shared interest in science, yet cannot be more different in their outlook on life and approaches to their work.
Part 1) How does Nikola Tesla's and Thomas Edison's first meeting in 1884 set the stage for the personality conflicts that follow?
Part 2) Why does Thomas Edison proceed to put Nikola Tesla to work despite his disdain for alternating current?
Essay Topic 3
The tragic death of Nikola Tesla's older brother Daniel impacts Nikola Tesla at a very early age.
Part 1) Discuss how the loss of Nikola's brother Daniel leads to problems of self-confidence for Nikola.
Part 2) How does Daniel's death later impact Nikola Tesla's ability to be more successful and productive in his science career in America.
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)