|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what does Nikola Tesla say that civilized nations would spend more on than war?
2. Why does Nikola Tesla ignore the NRC mission of finding a way to detect U-Boats?
3. In what year is Nikola Tesla summoned to court for failure to pay his takes in New York City?
4. In what year does the U.S. Supreme Court strike down the Marconi Company patents for the invention of radio?
5. in 1902, what engineer supports the work Nikola Tesla is doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is there conflicting information about Nikola Tesla's invention of a "Chinese Wall" in the U.S. of Teleforce?
2. In Chapter 25, "The Birthday Parties," how does Kenneth Swezey make Nikola's seventy-fifth birthday memorable?
3. Describe Nikola's appearance and day-to-day circumstances as he enters his fifties as described in Chapter 18, "Midstream Perils".
4. Why does Nikola care for pigeons in Chapter 23, "Pigeons"?
5. Why is Nikola Tesla constantly passed over for fame and fortune for his inventions, especially radio?
6. In Chapter 17, "The Great Radio Controversy," what court rules that Nikola Tesla is the inventor of radio, rather than William Marconi?
7. In Chapter 27, "Cosmic Communion," for what purpose does Nikola Tesla use his birthday parties during his eightieth decade?
8. In Chapter 19, "The Nobel Affair," for what two inventions does Nikola Tesla think he can collaborate with John Hays Hammond, Jr., and why?
9. What happens when the New York Times publishes a story indicating that Tesla and Edison will receive a Nobel Prize in physics?
10. Whom does Nikola approach for funding for his system to broadcast all wavelength channels from a single station, and why is this person his choice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The tragic death of Nikola Tesla's older brother Daniel impacts Nikola Tesla at a very early age.
Part 1) Discuss how the loss of Nikola's brother Daniel leads to problems of self-confidence for Nikola.
Part 2) How does Daniel's death later impact Nikola Tesla's ability to be more successful and productive in his science career in America.
Essay Topic 2
For a period in Nikola Tesla's life, he becomes quite secretive about more than surface details of his inventions. In his seventies, he announces earth-shattering inventions and makes numerous prophecies. To what do you attribute these changes? Why is Nikola suddenly willing to take risks again after so many years? How much of this change can be attributed to the interest shown to him by Kenneth Swezey?
Essay Topic 3
It seems that Nikola Tesla's decision not to enter into a marriage was part of a deliberate effort to maintain the focus on his career. Yet other successful "money men" and inventors of the times had wives and children. With your knowledge of Nikola, and given the times in which he lived, explain whether you think he would have been able to envision and create the devices and ideas that he did had he been married. Select one or two married "money men" described in the book, and discuss why they were able to be successful. Are the type of women they selected for mates similar to the type of women with whom Nikola affiliated as friends?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)