|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Nikola Tesla maintain a laboratory for turbine work?
2. In what year does Nikola Tesla become very feeble?
3. Why does Nikola Tesla ignore the NRC mission of finding a way to detect U-Boats?
4. In what year is the Wardenclyffe tower blown up?
5. What is being manufactured at Wardenclyffe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nikola care for pigeons in Chapter 23, "Pigeons"?
2. What do Nikola and Ivan Mestrovic have in common, and how do they leverage those commonalities?
3. In Chapter 15, "Magnificent and Doomed," what trickery does Nikola Tesla use in pictures in a published article to give the impression that he is impervious to the lighting generated at his Colorado Springs laboratory?
4. In Chapter 19, "The Nobel Affair," for what two inventions does Nikola Tesla think he can collaborate with John Hays Hammond, Jr., and why?
5. In Chapter 16,"Ridiculed, Condemned, Combated," what project is responsible for Nikola Tesla getting little sleep?
6. What closure does Nikola get as he learns about medical uses for his oscillator inventions?
7. What influence does Nikola have on some Canadians with respect to wireless electric power generation?
8. Describe why Nikola, now in his fifties, aggrandizes his theories and projects to others.
9. Whom does Nikola approach for funding for his system to broadcast all wavelength channels from a single station, and why is this person his choice?
10. In Chapter 24, "Transitions," why does Nikola Tesla bemoan the "problem" of women in an interview in the Detroit Free Press?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Later in his life, Nikola Tesla becomes enamored with feeding and caring for pigeons in Manhattan. Author Margaret Cheney provides numerous theories that attempt to explain Nikola's attraction and even compulsion for the birds. Describe the various theories mentioned in the book, and explain which theory is the most plausible to you. Why? Finally, discuss your opinion about whether Nikola's love of nursing pigeons has something to do with an attempt to replace the lack of a female marriage partner in his life.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 7, "Radio," Nikola Tesla encounters many obstacles that prevent him from focusing on his research with radio.
Part 1) Briefly describe his main distractions and identify which distractions present the greatest obstacles to his success.
Part 2) Why does the author state that it is impossible for Nikola to accept Sir William Crook's advice to focus on one single area of research?
Essay Topic 3
For a period in Nikola Tesla's life, he becomes quite secretive about more than surface details of his inventions. In his seventies, he announces earth-shattering inventions and makes numerous prophecies. To what do you attribute these changes? Why is Nikola suddenly willing to take risks again after so many years? How much of this change can be attributed to the interest shown to him by Kenneth Swezey?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)