|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Nikola Tesla call Marconi?
2. What hotel is Nikola Tesla told to vacate in part because of his birds?
3. What does Nikola Tesla believe about life on other planets?
4. Where are the plans for Nikola Tesla's "aeromobile"?
5. What does Dr. Eisenbud suggest about Nikola Tesla's mental condition?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 22, "The Guest of Honor," what are B.A. Behrend's motives in persuading the AIEE to award the Edison Medal to Nikola Tesla?
2. In Chapter 17, "The Great Radio Controversy," what court rules that Nikola Tesla is the inventor of radio, rather than William Marconi?
3. Whom does Nikola approach for funding for his system to broadcast all wavelength channels from a single station, and why is this person his choice?
4. In Chapter 24, "Transitions," why does Nikola Tesla bemoan the "problem" of women in an interview in the Detroit Free Press?
5. In Chapter 25, "The Birthday Parties," how does Kenneth Swezey make Nikola's seventy-fifth birthday memorable?
6. In the face of what is termed the 1903 "Rich Man's Panic," how does Scherff advise Nikola Tesla to leverage one of his inventions to raise funds?
7. What closure does Nikola get as he learns about medical uses for his oscillator inventions?
8. Why is there conflicting information about Nikola Tesla's invention of a "Chinese Wall" in the U.S. of Teleforce?
9. Describe why Nikola, now in his fifties, aggrandizes his theories and projects to others.
10. Why does Nikola try not to attend the Edison Medal ceremony to receive his award?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It seems that no matter how Nikola approaches the "selling" of his ideas, he never achieves his stated or promised goals. Provide five reasons for this. Which is his biggest obstacle, and why?
Essay Topic 2
The tragic death of Nikola Tesla's older brother Daniel impacts Nikola Tesla at a very early age.
Part 1) Discuss how the loss of Nikola's brother Daniel leads to problems of self-confidence for Nikola.
Part 2) How does Daniel's death later impact Nikola Tesla's ability to be more successful and productive in his science career in America.
Essay Topic 3
While Nikola is assembling his ambitious Wardenclyffe facility to broadcast radio across the Atlantic ocean, Marconi signals the letter "S" across the Atlantic from Cornwall to Newfoundland without the benefit of a great physical plant such as Nikola is building. J.P. Morgan, his financier, takes note. Compare and contrast the overall method of Marconi and Nikola in achieving this goal. Provide your opinion about the ethics involved in Marconi's use of Nikola's original radio patent of 1900 in order to achieve this feat. Why does Nikola allow people to keep beating him at his own game?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)