|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much capital funded the incorporation of the Tesla Ozone Company?
2. What does Nikola Tesla's 81st birthday bring him?
3. On what is Nikola Tesla working around the time of his 75th birthday?
4. Who arranges a party for Nikola Tesla's 75th birthday in 1931?
5. Who asks Nikola Tesla to accept the Edison Medal of the American Institute of Electrical Engineers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is different about Nikola's flivver airplane, or flying stove, and other existing aircraft?
2. What influence does Nikola have on some Canadians with respect to wireless electric power generation?
3. Why is Nikola Tesla constantly passed over for fame and fortune for his inventions, especially radio?
4. What do Nikola and Ivan Mestrovic have in common, and how do they leverage those commonalities?
5. In Chapter 15, "Magnificent and Doomed," what trickery does Nikola Tesla use in pictures in a published article to give the impression that he is impervious to the lighting generated at his Colorado Springs laboratory?
6. In Chapter 19, "The Nobel Affair," for what two inventions does Nikola Tesla think he can collaborate with John Hays Hammond, Jr., and why?
7. In Chapter 27, "Cosmic Communion," for what purpose does Nikola Tesla use his birthday parties during his eightieth decade?
8. Why does Nikola care for pigeons in Chapter 23, "Pigeons"?
9. What happens when the New York Times publishes a story indicating that Tesla and Edison will receive a Nobel Prize in physics?
10. In Chapter 26, "Corks on Water," explain why J.P. Morgan will not invest in proposals Nikola Tesla makes after the election of Franklin D. Roosevelt.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nikola Tesla's cool fireball and one thousand volt electrocution demonstrations fascinates Mark Twain, Joseph Jefferson, and Chauncey McGovern. At the end of the demonstrations, Nikola Tesla explains why he can stand briefly on the platform with high voltage yet not get electrocuted. Choose one of the following options to write about.
1) Describe the professions of Nikola Tesla's three guests and why you think Nikola Tesla gives these particular demonstrations.
2) Why does Nikola Tesla explain the rationale for the high voltage platform demonstration?
3) What impression does Nikola Tesla leave with his guests when he does not make a distinction between a human and animal reaction?
Essay Topic 2
In his earlier years, Nikola subscribes to the theory that women have a certain place in the fabric of society, supportive of their men, and not holding leadership positions. Later, through his friendship with Katherine Johnson and women such as Ann Morgan, he changes his position. Describe how his position changes, how he makes this known publicly, and what influence you think Katherine and Ann individually or collectively have on this shift.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss two or three things that you learned as a result of reading this book -- and from all of the class and homework learning experiences. Explain the importance of what you learned in each case, and why your new knowledge might make you a different or better person as you grow older.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)