|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Mark Twain and J. Pierpont Morgan die, what happens to Nikola Tesla's behavior?
2. In 1915, who builds a radio station for the U.S. Naval Radio Service?
3. In what year is Nikola Tesla summoned to court for failure to pay his takes in New York City?
4. What happens to patents filed by Nikola Tesla in 1922?
5. In what year does the Luftwaffe bomb Belgrade?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 19, "The Nobel Affair," for what two inventions does Nikola Tesla think he can collaborate with John Hays Hammond, Jr., and why?
2. What role does the National Research Council have in preventing Nikola from getting his ideas listened to?
3. Whom does Nikola approach for funding for his system to broadcast all wavelength channels from a single station, and why is this person his choice?
4. In the face of what is termed the 1903 "Rich Man's Panic," how does Scherff advise Nikola Tesla to leverage one of his inventions to raise funds?
5. Describe why Nikola, now in his fifties, aggrandizes his theories and projects to others.
6. Why is there conflicting information about Nikola Tesla's invention of a "Chinese Wall" in the U.S. of Teleforce?
7. Why is Nikola Tesla constantly passed over for fame and fortune for his inventions, especially radio?
8. In Chapter 16,"Ridiculed, Condemned, Combated," what project is responsible for Nikola Tesla getting little sleep?
9. After 1915, why does Nikola work for two companies as described in Chapter 20, "Flying Stove"?
10. In Chapter 22, "The Guest of Honor," what are B.A. Behrend's motives in persuading the AIEE to award the Edison Medal to Nikola Tesla?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Over a period of several decades, Nikola Tesla has a platonic relationship with Katherine Johnson. Describe the reasons you think Nikola and Katherine have for valuing this relationship. What does Katherine provide Nikola? And in turn, what does Nikola bring Katherine? What reasons is this friendship able to survive for so many years, especially since Katherine is married to Nikola Tesla's friend Robert Underwood Johnson?
Essay Topic 2
Nikola never profited much financially from any of his inventions, and many were never patented. In addition, many of his ideas were developed decades, or even centuries before science and technology were sufficiently developed to carry the work forward. Choose two of Nikola's inventions, and trace the youth and adult experiences in Nikola's life that contribute to this futuristic outlook. Provide examples in the book that seem to substantiate reasons for his unique ability to see far into the science and technology future.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 7, "Radio," Nikola Tesla encounters many obstacles that prevent him from focusing on his research with radio.
Part 1) Briefly describe his main distractions and identify which distractions present the greatest obstacles to his success.
Part 2) Why does the author state that it is impossible for Nikola to accept Sir William Crook's advice to focus on one single area of research?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)