|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of weapon does Nikola envision in his conversations with Viereck?
2. What Supreme Court decision about Nikola Tesla's invention eight months after his death vindicates him?
3. Who funds Nikola Tesla's big Long Island experiment?
4. In 1906, what type of model does Nikola Tesla build?
5. What is Charles Hausler's job for Nikola Tesla?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mistake does Nikola make when proposing his process for degassifying copper to the American Smelting and Refining Company?
2. In Chapter 19, "The Nobel Affair," for what two inventions does Nikola Tesla think he can collaborate with John Hays Hammond, Jr., and why?
3. In Chapter 25, "The Birthday Parties," how does Kenneth Swezey make Nikola's seventy-fifth birthday memorable?
4. Why is there conflicting information about Nikola Tesla's invention of a "Chinese Wall" in the U.S. of Teleforce?
5. Describe Nikola's appearance and day-to-day circumstances as he enters his fifties as described in Chapter 18, "Midstream Perils".
6. What use does Nikola describe for radar in Chapter 21, "Radar"?
7. Describe why Nikola, now in his fifties, aggrandizes his theories and projects to others.
8. What influence does Nikola have on some Canadians with respect to wireless electric power generation?
9. In Chapter 16,"Ridiculed, Condemned, Combated," what project is responsible for Nikola Tesla getting little sleep?
10. In Chapter 15, "Magnificent and Doomed," what trickery does Nikola Tesla use in pictures in a published article to give the impression that he is impervious to the lighting generated at his Colorado Springs laboratory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nikola Tesla's cool fireball and one thousand volt electrocution demonstrations fascinates Mark Twain, Joseph Jefferson, and Chauncey McGovern. At the end of the demonstrations, Nikola Tesla explains why he can stand briefly on the platform with high voltage yet not get electrocuted. Choose one of the following options to write about.
1) Describe the professions of Nikola Tesla's three guests and why you think Nikola Tesla gives these particular demonstrations.
2) Why does Nikola Tesla explain the rationale for the high voltage platform demonstration?
3) What impression does Nikola Tesla leave with his guests when he does not make a distinction between a human and animal reaction?
Essay Topic 2
The tragic death of Nikola Tesla's older brother Daniel impacts Nikola Tesla at a very early age.
Part 1) Discuss how the loss of Nikola's brother Daniel leads to problems of self-confidence for Nikola.
Part 2) How does Daniel's death later impact Nikola Tesla's ability to be more successful and productive in his science career in America.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 7, "Radio," Nikola Tesla encounters many obstacles that prevent him from focusing on his research with radio.
Part 1) Briefly describe his main distractions and identify which distractions present the greatest obstacles to his success.
Part 2) Why does the author state that it is impossible for Nikola to accept Sir William Crook's advice to focus on one single area of research?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)