|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides being an inventor, for what other role is Nikola Tesla known?
2. In what year does Nikola Tesla turn 80?
3. What influences does Nikola Tesla believe will compromise the religion of the human race in the year 2100?
4. In what year does the U.S. Supreme Court strike down the Marconi Company patents for the invention of radio?
5. In what year is the Wardenclyffe tower blown up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the New York Times publishes a story indicating that Tesla and Edison will receive a Nobel Prize in physics?
2. In Chapter 26, "Corks on Water," explain why J.P. Morgan will not invest in proposals Nikola Tesla makes after the election of Franklin D. Roosevelt.
3. What is different about Nikola's flivver airplane, or flying stove, and other existing aircraft?
4. What role does the National Research Council have in preventing Nikola from getting his ideas listened to?
5. Why is Nikola Tesla constantly passed over for fame and fortune for his inventions, especially radio?
6. Describe why Nikola, now in his fifties, aggrandizes his theories and projects to others.
7. What does the fact that Nikola Tesla tries to send a letter to the long-dead Mark Twain signal about his impending death?
8. Why does Nikola care for pigeons in Chapter 23, "Pigeons"?
9. Why does Nikola try not to attend the Edison Medal ceremony to receive his award?
10. As described in Chapter 28, "Death and Transfiguration," why is Nikola Tesla caught in the middle of politics with regard to the role of Yugoslavia in World War II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The tragic death of Nikola Tesla's older brother Daniel impacts Nikola Tesla at a very early age.
Part 1) Discuss how the loss of Nikola's brother Daniel leads to problems of self-confidence for Nikola.
Part 2) How does Daniel's death later impact Nikola Tesla's ability to be more successful and productive in his science career in America.
Essay Topic 2
It seems that no matter how Nikola approaches the "selling" of his ideas, he never achieves his stated or promised goals. Provide five reasons for this. Which is his biggest obstacle, and why?
Essay Topic 3
After the fire in Nikola's laboratory, he is almost financially destitute. Nonetheless, he makes several judgment errors. List at least five errors and select the two that most inhibit Nikola's work during that time period. Describe your reasons for your selections.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)