|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Nikola Tesla go to create new inventions right after the Edison Medal event?
2. What Supreme Court decision about Nikola Tesla's invention eight months after his death vindicates him?
3. Despite the fact that Nikola Tesla inspires the science of radar, in what year is Robert A. Watson-Watt officially credited with the invention?
4. In what year does Nikola Tesla file a patent to describe the supercooling of conductors to appreciably lower resistance?
5. To which fellow New Yorker does Nikola Tesla pay back old debts?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Nikola's appearance and day-to-day circumstances as he enters his fifties as described in Chapter 18, "Midstream Perils".
2. In the face of what is termed the 1903 "Rich Man's Panic," how does Scherff advise Nikola Tesla to leverage one of his inventions to raise funds?
3. In Chapter 22, "The Guest of Honor," what are B.A. Behrend's motives in persuading the AIEE to award the Edison Medal to Nikola Tesla?
4. Why is there conflicting information about Nikola Tesla's invention of a "Chinese Wall" in the U.S. of Teleforce?
5. What closure does Nikola get as he learns about medical uses for his oscillator inventions?
6. What influence does Nikola have on some Canadians with respect to wireless electric power generation?
7. In Chapter 17, "The Great Radio Controversy," what court rules that Nikola Tesla is the inventor of radio, rather than William Marconi?
8. As described in Chapter 28, "Death and Transfiguration," why is Nikola Tesla caught in the middle of politics with regard to the role of Yugoslavia in World War II?
9. Why is Nikola Tesla constantly passed over for fame and fortune for his inventions, especially radio?
10. Describe why Nikola, now in his fifties, aggrandizes his theories and projects to others.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 7, "Radio," Nikola Tesla encounters many obstacles that prevent him from focusing on his research with radio.
Part 1) Briefly describe his main distractions and identify which distractions present the greatest obstacles to his success.
Part 2) Why does the author state that it is impossible for Nikola to accept Sir William Crook's advice to focus on one single area of research?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss two or three things that you learned as a result of reading this book -- and from all of the class and homework learning experiences. Explain the importance of what you learned in each case, and why your new knowledge might make you a different or better person as you grow older.
Essay Topic 3
While Nikola is assembling his ambitious Wardenclyffe facility to broadcast radio across the Atlantic ocean, Marconi signals the letter "S" across the Atlantic from Cornwall to Newfoundland without the benefit of a great physical plant such as Nikola is building. J.P. Morgan, his financier, takes note. Compare and contrast the overall method of Marconi and Nikola in achieving this goal. Provide your opinion about the ethics involved in Marconi's use of Nikola's original radio patent of 1900 in order to achieve this feat. Why does Nikola allow people to keep beating him at his own game?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)