|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who funds Nikola Tesla's big Long Island experiment?
2. On what invention does Nikola Tesla claim he is working?
3. With whom does the New York Times suggest that Nikola Tesla will share the 1915 Nobel Prize in physics?
4. What New York establishment drops Nikola Tesla's membership for non-payment of bills?
5. In what year does Nikola Tesla finally sue Marconi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is different about Nikola's flivver airplane, or flying stove, and other existing aircraft?
2. In the face of what is termed the 1903 "Rich Man's Panic," how does Scherff advise Nikola Tesla to leverage one of his inventions to raise funds?
3. In Chapter 22, "The Guest of Honor," what are B.A. Behrend's motives in persuading the AIEE to award the Edison Medal to Nikola Tesla?
4. In Chapter 24, "Transitions," why does Nikola Tesla bemoan the "problem" of women in an interview in the Detroit Free Press?
5. In Chapter 26, "Corks on Water," explain why J.P. Morgan will not invest in proposals Nikola Tesla makes after the election of Franklin D. Roosevelt.
6. In Chapter 15, "Magnificent and Doomed," what trickery does Nikola Tesla use in pictures in a published article to give the impression that he is impervious to the lighting generated at his Colorado Springs laboratory?
7. Why does Nikola try not to attend the Edison Medal ceremony to receive his award?
8. Why is Nikola Tesla constantly passed over for fame and fortune for his inventions, especially radio?
9. What does the fact that Nikola Tesla tries to send a letter to the long-dead Mark Twain signal about his impending death?
10. What influence does Nikola have on some Canadians with respect to wireless electric power generation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The tragic death of Nikola Tesla's older brother Daniel impacts Nikola Tesla at a very early age.
Part 1) Discuss how the loss of Nikola's brother Daniel leads to problems of self-confidence for Nikola.
Part 2) How does Daniel's death later impact Nikola Tesla's ability to be more successful and productive in his science career in America.
Essay Topic 2
During his life, Nikola makes many claims regarding the invention of devices designed to protect America during wartime. After his death in 1943, several people attempt to find his research papers, fearing that they may have fallen into the hands of other countries. Based on what you learned about Nikola Tesla in this book, do you think he actually completed any of these projects? Do you believe that he may have provided this information to any other countries, especially given the reluctance of the U.S. government to further them? State and justify your position with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
In his earlier years, Nikola subscribes to the theory that women have a certain place in the fabric of society, supportive of their men, and not holding leadership positions. Later, through his friendship with Katherine Johnson and women such as Ann Morgan, he changes his position. Describe how his position changes, how he makes this known publicly, and what influence you think Katherine and Ann individually or collectively have on this shift.
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)