|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After J. Pierpont Morgan dies in 1913, from whom does Nikola Tesla try to get investment funding?
2. For what invention is the 1915 Nobel Prize in Physics given?
3. In 1927, who tries to help Nikola Tesla with the promotion of a scientific concept?
4. On what is Nikola Tesla working around the time of his 75th birthday?
5. How much does Nikola Tesla's 1906 invention weigh?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Nikola and Ivan Mestrovic have in common, and how do they leverage those commonalities?
2. What use does Nikola describe for radar in Chapter 21, "Radar"?
3. Describe Nikola's appearance and day-to-day circumstances as he enters his fifties as described in Chapter 18, "Midstream Perils".
4. In Chapter 27, "Cosmic Communion," for what purpose does Nikola Tesla use his birthday parties during his eightieth decade?
5. In Chapter 26, "Corks on Water," explain why J.P. Morgan will not invest in proposals Nikola Tesla makes after the election of Franklin D. Roosevelt.
6. What closure does Nikola get as he learns about medical uses for his oscillator inventions?
7. In Chapter 25, "The Birthday Parties," how does Kenneth Swezey make Nikola's seventy-fifth birthday memorable?
8. What is different about Nikola's flivver airplane, or flying stove, and other existing aircraft?
9. Why is Nikola Tesla constantly passed over for fame and fortune for his inventions, especially radio?
10. In the face of what is termed the 1903 "Rich Man's Panic," how does Scherff advise Nikola Tesla to leverage one of his inventions to raise funds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nikola Tesla and Thomas Edison are two men with a shared interest in science, yet cannot be more different in their outlook on life and approaches to their work.
Part 1) How does Nikola Tesla's and Thomas Edison's first meeting in 1884 set the stage for the personality conflicts that follow?
Part 2) Why does Thomas Edison proceed to put Nikola Tesla to work despite his disdain for alternating current?
Essay Topic 2
While Nikola is assembling his ambitious Wardenclyffe facility to broadcast radio across the Atlantic ocean, Marconi signals the letter "S" across the Atlantic from Cornwall to Newfoundland without the benefit of a great physical plant such as Nikola is building. J.P. Morgan, his financier, takes note. Compare and contrast the overall method of Marconi and Nikola in achieving this goal. Provide your opinion about the ethics involved in Marconi's use of Nikola's original radio patent of 1900 in order to achieve this feat. Why does Nikola allow people to keep beating him at his own game?
Essay Topic 3
For a period in Nikola Tesla's life, he becomes quite secretive about more than surface details of his inventions. In his seventies, he announces earth-shattering inventions and makes numerous prophecies. To what do you attribute these changes? Why is Nikola suddenly willing to take risks again after so many years? How much of this change can be attributed to the interest shown to him by Kenneth Swezey?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)