|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to patents filed by Nikola Tesla in 1922?
2. In what year does Nikola Tesla finally sue Marconi?
3. On what invention does Nikola Tesla claim he is working?
4. In what decade is Prohibition enacted?
5. With what bird is Nikola Tesla enamored?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mistake does Nikola make when proposing his process for degassifying copper to the American Smelting and Refining Company?
2. In Chapter 25, "The Birthday Parties," how does Kenneth Swezey make Nikola's seventy-fifth birthday memorable?
3. What influence does Nikola have on some Canadians with respect to wireless electric power generation?
4. What is different about Nikola's flivver airplane, or flying stove, and other existing aircraft?
5. After 1915, why does Nikola work for two companies as described in Chapter 20, "Flying Stove"?
6. In Chapter 26, "Corks on Water," explain why J.P. Morgan will not invest in proposals Nikola Tesla makes after the election of Franklin D. Roosevelt.
7. Describe why Nikola, now in his fifties, aggrandizes his theories and projects to others.
8. In Chapter 27, "Cosmic Communion," for what purpose does Nikola Tesla use his birthday parties during his eightieth decade?
9. What use does Nikola describe for radar in Chapter 21, "Radar"?
10. In Chapter 16,"Ridiculed, Condemned, Combated," what project is responsible for Nikola Tesla getting little sleep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss two or three things that you learned as a result of reading this book -- and from all of the class and homework learning experiences. Explain the importance of what you learned in each case, and why your new knowledge might make you a different or better person as you grow older.
Essay Topic 2
It seems that no matter how Nikola approaches the "selling" of his ideas, he never achieves his stated or promised goals. Provide five reasons for this. Which is his biggest obstacle, and why?
Essay Topic 3
In his earlier years, Nikola subscribes to the theory that women have a certain place in the fabric of society, supportive of their men, and not holding leadership positions. Later, through his friendship with Katherine Johnson and women such as Ann Morgan, he changes his position. Describe how his position changes, how he makes this known publicly, and what influence you think Katherine and Ann individually or collectively have on this shift.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)