|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1915, who builds a radio station for the U.S. Naval Radio Service?
2. What New York establishment drops Nikola Tesla's membership for non-payment of bills?
3. Besides being an inventor, for what other role is Nikola Tesla known?
4. After Mark Twain and J. Pierpont Morgan die, what happens to Nikola Tesla's behavior?
5. What influences does Nikola Tesla believe will compromise the religion of the human race in the year 2100?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the fact that Nikola Tesla tries to send a letter to the long-dead Mark Twain signal about his impending death?
2. Whom does Nikola approach for funding for his system to broadcast all wavelength channels from a single station, and why is this person his choice?
3. What use does Nikola describe for radar in Chapter 21, "Radar"?
4. What influence does Nikola have on some Canadians with respect to wireless electric power generation?
5. Describe Nikola's appearance and day-to-day circumstances as he enters his fifties as described in Chapter 18, "Midstream Perils".
6. As described in Chapter 28, "Death and Transfiguration," why is Nikola Tesla caught in the middle of politics with regard to the role of Yugoslavia in World War II?
7. In Chapter 27, "Cosmic Communion," for what purpose does Nikola Tesla use his birthday parties during his eightieth decade?
8. In Chapter 22, "The Guest of Honor," what are B.A. Behrend's motives in persuading the AIEE to award the Edison Medal to Nikola Tesla?
9. After 1915, why does Nikola work for two companies as described in Chapter 20, "Flying Stove"?
10. In Chapter 19, "The Nobel Affair," for what two inventions does Nikola Tesla think he can collaborate with John Hays Hammond, Jr., and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After the fire in Nikola's laboratory, he is almost financially destitute. Nonetheless, he makes several judgment errors. List at least five errors and select the two that most inhibit Nikola's work during that time period. Describe your reasons for your selections.
Essay Topic 2
Over a period of several decades, Nikola Tesla has a platonic relationship with Katherine Johnson. Describe the reasons you think Nikola and Katherine have for valuing this relationship. What does Katherine provide Nikola? And in turn, what does Nikola bring Katherine? What reasons is this friendship able to survive for so many years, especially since Katherine is married to Nikola Tesla's friend Robert Underwood Johnson?
Essay Topic 3
Nikola never profited much financially from any of his inventions, and many were never patented. In addition, many of his ideas were developed decades, or even centuries before science and technology were sufficiently developed to carry the work forward. Choose two of Nikola's inventions, and trace the youth and adult experiences in Nikola's life that contribute to this futuristic outlook. Provide examples in the book that seem to substantiate reasons for his unique ability to see far into the science and technology future.
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)