|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what bird is Nikola Tesla enamored?
2. What Supreme Court decision about Nikola Tesla's invention eight months after his death vindicates him?
3. To what periodical does Nikola Tesla write in defense of King Alexander?
4. Why does Nikola Tesla ignore the NRC mission of finding a way to detect U-Boats?
5. In 1915, who builds a radio station for the U.S. Naval Radio Service?
Essay Topic 1
Nikola has nothing but disdain for Orville Wright's aircraft technology. Therefore, he invents his own "flying stove" using early vertical takeoff technology that is not patented until 1928, and not utilized by two companies until after 1950. What reasons can you give for why Nikola is not able to prototype or commercialize this technology? Do you think at least some of his resistance to Wright's aircraft is due to personal or intellectual arrogance? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
After the fire in Nikola's laboratory, he is almost financially destitute. Nonetheless, he makes several judgment errors. List at least five errors and select the two that most inhibit Nikola's work during that time period. Describe your reasons for your selections.
Essay Topic 3
Nikola Tesla has learned to hobnob with high society as a way to gain access to potential investors. He is clearly eccentric and not affluent, yet he is accepted as a member of the New York "400." What reasons can you give for this? Describe your reasons why the Robert Underwood Johnson family considers him worthy of inclusion at their Lexington Avenue parties. Why are the conventions Nikola learns from socializing with the Johnsons important to his ongoing society efforts?
This section contains 1,771 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)