|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age does Nikola Tesla take passage on the ship Saturnia?
2. In what city does Nikola Tesla study after running out of funds for college?
3. What does Nikola Tesla send through neighboring buildings?
4. In what subject does Nikola Tesla excel in high school?
5. What does Thomas Edison do to try to quash the acquisition of Nikola Tesla's invention?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1, "Modern Prometheus," what is the result of Nikola Tesla's fireball demonstration for Mark Twain and several other contemporaries?
2. In Chapter 5, "The War of the Currents Begins," why is Nikola Tesla depressed at age thirty?
3. How does Nikola out in Colorado keep Scherff motivated while working at the laboratory back in New York?
4. In Chapter 6, "Order of the Flaming Sword," what practical applications do Nikola Tesla's inventions have?
5. In Chapter 3, "Immigrants of Distinction," why is Nikola Tesla's invention of alternating current so important to the world?
6. In Chapter 4, "At the Court of Mr. Edison," describe the personality differences between Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla.
7. From the book's Introduction, why does Nikola Tesla maintain an intensely private life?
8. In Chapter 3, "Immigrants of Distinction," describe the influence that Charles Bachelor has on Nikola Tesla.
9. In Chapter 6, "Order of the Flaming Sword," Nikola Tesla develops what he calls a carbon button lamp. For what later device does the lamp serve as a prototype?
10. In Chapter 2, "A Gambling Man," why does Nikola Tesla feel disappointed for his mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nikola never profited much financially from any of his inventions, and many were never patented. In addition, many of his ideas were developed decades, or even centuries before science and technology were sufficiently developed to carry the work forward. Choose two of Nikola's inventions, and trace the youth and adult experiences in Nikola's life that contribute to this futuristic outlook. Provide examples in the book that seem to substantiate reasons for his unique ability to see far into the science and technology future.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 7, "Radio," Nikola Tesla encounters many obstacles that prevent him from focusing on his research with radio.
Part 1) Briefly describe his main distractions and identify which distractions present the greatest obstacles to his success.
Part 2) Why does the author state that it is impossible for Nikola to accept Sir William Crook's advice to focus on one single area of research?
Essay Topic 3
Nikola's expresses two goals for his move to Colorado Springs -- to beat Marconi with a wireless system, and to transmit energy plentifully and cheaply around the Earth. There is no documented information to support research for either of these goals. Although Nikola is satisfied himself that he can make lightning dance and has received messages from outside the earth's atmosphere, he has failed in his attempt to reach both of his stated goals. Explain the reasons for the failure and his eventual departure from Colorado Springs. What, if anything has he learned that may help him do things differently back in New York?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)