|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what patent does Nikola Tesla file in 1898?
2. After World War II, much of Nikola Tesla's library materials are shipped where?
3. In what field does Nikola Tesla pioneer inventions while the Nobel Prize goes to three others?
4. What personality difference jeopardizes the relationship between Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla?
5. In what year does Nikola Tesla go to work for Thomas Edison's subsidiary in Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. What contributions does Nikola believe he has made to science as a result of his magnifying oscillator experiments in Colorado Springs?
2. In Chapter 10, "An Error in Judgment," describe three reasons why Nikola is almost destitute financially.
3. Describe three elements of the friendship between Nikola Tesla and Mr. and Mrs. Robert Wood Johnson.
4. In Chapter 11, "To Mars," what patents does Nikola file in November, 1897, and what application do they potentially support?
5. In Chapter 5, "The War of the Currents Begins," why is Nikola Tesla depressed at age thirty?
6. In Chapter 14, "Blackout at Colorado Springs," what factors contribute to the failure of Nikola Tesla's Colorado Springs laboratory?
7. In Chapter 4, "At the Court of Mr. Edison," why is the early relationship between Nikola Tesla and Thomas Edison strained?
8. What are the six fundamental principles of modern radio, and where does Nikola Tesla demonstrate them in 1893?
9. In Chapter 1, "Modern Prometheus," what is the result of Nikola Tesla's fireball demonstration for Mark Twain and several other contemporaries?
10. In Chapter 3, "Immigrants of Distinction," describe the influence that Charles Bachelor has on Nikola Tesla.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nikola Tesla's cool fireball and one thousand volt electrocution demonstrations fascinates Mark Twain, Joseph Jefferson, and Chauncey McGovern. At the end of the demonstrations, Nikola Tesla explains why he can stand briefly on the platform with high voltage yet not get electrocuted. Choose one of the following options to write about.
1) Describe the professions of Nikola Tesla's three guests and why you think Nikola Tesla gives these particular demonstrations.
2) Why does Nikola Tesla explain the rationale for the high voltage platform demonstration?
3) What impression does Nikola Tesla leave with his guests when he does not make a distinction between a human and animal reaction?
Essay Topic 2
Nikola has nothing but disdain for Orville Wright's aircraft technology. Therefore, he invents his own "flying stove" using early vertical takeoff technology that is not patented until 1928, and not utilized by two companies until after 1950. What reasons can you give for why Nikola is not able to prototype or commercialize this technology? Do you think at least some of his resistance to Wright's aircraft is due to personal or intellectual arrogance? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
It seems that no matter how Nikola approaches the "selling" of his ideas, he never achieves his stated or promised goals. Provide five reasons for this. Which is his biggest obstacle, and why?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)