Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Tesla coil?
2. What type of engine does Nikola Tesla invent in Chapter 12, "Robots"?
3. How tall is Nikola Tesla in the year 1893?
4. Where does Charles Batchelor encourage Nikola Tesla to go?
5. How many accidents does Nikola Tesla say he has in a year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mistake does Nikola make when proposing his process for degassifying copper to the American Smelting and Refining Company?
2. As described in Chapter 28, "Death and Transfiguration," why is Nikola Tesla caught in the middle of politics with regard to the role of Yugoslavia in World War II?
3. In Chapter 22, "The Guest of Honor," what are B.A. Behrend's motives in persuading the AIEE to award the Edison Medal to Nikola Tesla?
4. In Chapter 25, "The Birthday Parties," how does Kenneth Swezey make Nikola's seventy-fifth birthday memorable?
5. Why does Nikola Tesla become a regular patron at the Waldorf Astoria in New York City in Chapter 8, "High Society"?
6. In Chapter 3, "Immigrants of Distinction," describe the influence that Charles Bachelor has on Nikola Tesla.
7. In Chapter 26, "Corks on Water," explain why J.P. Morgan will not invest in proposals Nikola Tesla makes after the election of Franklin D. Roosevelt.
8. In Chapter 3, "Immigrants of Distinction," why is Nikola Tesla's invention of alternating current so important to the world?
9. What contributions does Nikola believe he has made to science as a result of his magnifying oscillator experiments in Colorado Springs?
10. In Chapter 15, "Magnificent and Doomed," what trickery does Nikola Tesla use in pictures in a published article to give the impression that he is impervious to the lighting generated at his Colorado Springs laboratory?
Essay Topic 1
Later in his life, Nikola Tesla becomes enamored with feeding and caring for pigeons in Manhattan. Author Margaret Cheney provides numerous theories that attempt to explain Nikola's attraction and even compulsion for the birds. Describe the various theories mentioned in the book, and explain which theory is the most plausible to you. Why? Finally, discuss your opinion about whether Nikola's love of nursing pigeons has something to do with an attempt to replace the lack of a female marriage partner in his life.
Essay Topic 2
Nikola never profited much financially from any of his inventions, and many were never patented. In addition, many of his ideas were developed decades, or even centuries before science and technology were sufficiently developed to carry the work forward. Choose two of Nikola's inventions, and trace the youth and adult experiences in Nikola's life that contribute to this futuristic outlook. Provide examples in the book that seem to substantiate reasons for his unique ability to see far into the science and technology future.
Essay Topic 3
In his earlier years, Nikola subscribes to the theory that women have a certain place in the fabric of society, supportive of their men, and not holding leadership positions. Later, through his friendship with Katherine Johnson and women such as Ann Morgan, he changes his position. Describe how his position changes, how he makes this known publicly, and what influence you think Katherine and Ann individually or collectively have on this shift.
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)