|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of electrical service does Thomas Edison supply to people?
2. In the year 1888, who buys Nikola Tesla's patents to use in his electric company?
3. What does Nikola Tesla invent that is used in Rahway, New Jersey?
4. In Chapter 6, "Order of the Flaming Sword," how does Nikola Tesla share his inventions of electricity in a vacuum tube with other scientists?
5. What does a group of men offer Tesla the opportunity to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 4, "At the Court of Mr. Edison," describe the personality differences between Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla.
2. In Chapter 3, "Immigrants of Distinction," why is Nikola Tesla's invention of alternating current so important to the world?
3. What invention does Nikola claim to be useful to send signals to Mars, and why is this possible?
4. Nikola's demonstration of the world's first radio-controlled boat doesn't make a big splash. Why is this?
5. In Chapter 6, "Order of the Flaming Sword," what practical applications do Nikola Tesla's inventions have?
6. What are the six fundamental principles of modern radio, and where does Nikola Tesla demonstrate them in 1893?
7. In Chapter 10, "An Error in Judgment," describe three reasons why Nikola is almost destitute financially.
8. In the "Acknowledgements" section, describe the reasons Leland Anderson is interested in Nikola Tesla.
9. In Chapter 14, "Blackout at Colorado Springs," what factors contribute to the failure of Nikola Tesla's Colorado Springs laboratory?
10. In Chapter 3, "Immigrants of Distinction," describe the influence that Charles Bachelor has on Nikola Tesla.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nikola has nothing but disdain for Orville Wright's aircraft technology. Therefore, he invents his own "flying stove" using early vertical takeoff technology that is not patented until 1928, and not utilized by two companies until after 1950. What reasons can you give for why Nikola is not able to prototype or commercialize this technology? Do you think at least some of his resistance to Wright's aircraft is due to personal or intellectual arrogance? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 7, "Radio," Nikola Tesla encounters many obstacles that prevent him from focusing on his research with radio.
Part 1) Briefly describe his main distractions and identify which distractions present the greatest obstacles to his success.
Part 2) Why does the author state that it is impossible for Nikola to accept Sir William Crook's advice to focus on one single area of research?
Essay Topic 3
For a period in Nikola Tesla's life, he becomes quite secretive about more than surface details of his inventions. In his seventies, he announces earth-shattering inventions and makes numerous prophecies. To what do you attribute these changes? Why is Nikola suddenly willing to take risks again after so many years? How much of this change can be attributed to the interest shown to him by Kenneth Swezey?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)