|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event takes Nikola Tesla away from radio research in 1893?
2. In what year does Nikola Tesla describe in detail the principles of radio broadcasting?
3. What reward does Thomas Edison offer Nikola Tesla for completing the work with the dynamo?
4. In what city does Nikola Tesla study after running out of funds for college?
5. What personality difference jeopardizes the relationship between Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, "Order of the Flaming Sword," what practical applications do Nikola Tesla's inventions have?
2. In Chapter 5, "The War of the Currents Begins," why is Nikola Tesla depressed at age thirty?
3. In Chapter 3, "Immigrants of Distinction," describe the influence that Charles Bachelor has on Nikola Tesla.
4. From the book's Introduction, why does Nikola Tesla maintain an intensely private life?
5. In Chapter 11, "To Mars," what patents does Nikola file in November, 1897, and what application do they potentially support?
6. In Chapter 5, "The War of the Currents Begins," describe several events that demonstrate that Nikola Tesla's notoriety is growing.
7. In Chapter 2, "A Gambling Man," why does Nikola Tesla feel disappointed for his mother?
8. Why does Nikola Tesla become a regular patron at the Waldorf Astoria in New York City in Chapter 8, "High Society"?
9. What potential modern applications does author Margaret Cheney describe for Nikola Tesla's invention of a peculiar and sensitive vacuum tube?
10. How does Nikola out in Colorado keep Scherff motivated while working at the laboratory back in New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nikola Tesla has learned to hobnob with high society as a way to gain access to potential investors. He is clearly eccentric and not affluent, yet he is accepted as a member of the New York "400." What reasons can you give for this? Describe your reasons why the Robert Underwood Johnson family considers him worthy of inclusion at their Lexington Avenue parties. Why are the conventions Nikola learns from socializing with the Johnsons important to his ongoing society efforts?
Essay Topic 2
The tragic death of Nikola Tesla's older brother Daniel impacts Nikola Tesla at a very early age.
Part 1) Discuss how the loss of Nikola's brother Daniel leads to problems of self-confidence for Nikola.
Part 2) How does Daniel's death later impact Nikola Tesla's ability to be more successful and productive in his science career in America.
Essay Topic 3
After the fire in Nikola's laboratory, he is almost financially destitute. Nonetheless, he makes several judgment errors. List at least five errors and select the two that most inhibit Nikola's work during that time period. Describe your reasons for your selections.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)