|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of motor does Nikola Tesla conceive of while walking in the park?
2. How does George Scherff feel about Nikola Tesla?
3. What does Nikola Tesla ask Westinghouse to do with their royalties agreement?
4. In the year 1888, who buys Nikola Tesla's patents to use in his electric company?
5. Where does Charles Batchelor encourage Nikola Tesla to go?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 4, "At the Court of Mr. Edison," why is the early relationship between Nikola Tesla and Thomas Edison strained?
2. In Chapter 5, "The War of the Currents Begins," why is Nikola Tesla depressed at age thirty?
3. In Chapter 3, "Immigrants of Distinction," describe the influence that Charles Bachelor has on Nikola Tesla.
4. What potential modern applications does author Margaret Cheney describe for Nikola Tesla's invention of a peculiar and sensitive vacuum tube?
5. In Chapter 3, "Immigrants of Distinction," why is Nikola Tesla's invention of alternating current so important to the world?
6. What invention does Nikola claim to be useful to send signals to Mars, and why is this possible?
7. In Chapter 2, "A Gambling Man," why does Nikola Tesla feel disappointed for his mother?
8. In Chapter 13, "Hurler of Lightning," what are some of the effects of Nikola Tesla's experiments with the magnifying oscillator in Colorado Springs?
9. In Chapter 4, "At the Court of Mr. Edison," describe the personality differences between Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla.
10. In the "Acknowledgements" section, describe the reasons Leland Anderson is interested in Nikola Tesla.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nikola Tesla has learned to hobnob with high society as a way to gain access to potential investors. He is clearly eccentric and not affluent, yet he is accepted as a member of the New York "400." What reasons can you give for this? Describe your reasons why the Robert Underwood Johnson family considers him worthy of inclusion at their Lexington Avenue parties. Why are the conventions Nikola learns from socializing with the Johnsons important to his ongoing society efforts?
Essay Topic 2
The tragic death of Nikola Tesla's older brother Daniel impacts Nikola Tesla at a very early age.
Part 1) Discuss how the loss of Nikola's brother Daniel leads to problems of self-confidence for Nikola.
Part 2) How does Daniel's death later impact Nikola Tesla's ability to be more successful and productive in his science career in America.
Essay Topic 3
Later in his life, Nikola Tesla becomes enamored with feeding and caring for pigeons in Manhattan. Author Margaret Cheney provides numerous theories that attempt to explain Nikola's attraction and even compulsion for the birds. Describe the various theories mentioned in the book, and explain which theory is the most plausible to you. Why? Finally, discuss your opinion about whether Nikola's love of nursing pigeons has something to do with an attempt to replace the lack of a female marriage partner in his life.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)