|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, what is the invention that most fascinates Nikola Tesla followers?
2. From what financier does Nikola Tesla choose NOT to accept funds?
3. Where is Nikola Tesla when he watches his Colorado Springs experiment?
4. What major German invention in 1896 is most likely predated by Nikola Tesla's version?
5. In what country is Nikola Tesla born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom does Nikola approach for funding for his system to broadcast all wavelength channels from a single station, and why is this person his choice?
2. From the book's Introduction, why does Nikola Tesla maintain an intensely private life?
3. In Chapter 12, "Robots," why does Nikola Tesla have challenges moving his inventions from his laboratory into working prototypes?
4. In Chapter 2, "A Gambling Man," why does Nikola Tesla feel disappointed for his mother?
5. In Chapter 6, "Order of the Flaming Sword," Nikola Tesla develops what he calls a carbon button lamp. For what later device does the lamp serve as a prototype?
6. In Chapter 4, "At the Court of Mr. Edison," why is the early relationship between Nikola Tesla and Thomas Edison strained?
7. What potential modern applications does author Margaret Cheney describe for Nikola Tesla's invention of a peculiar and sensitive vacuum tube?
8. Nikola produces the first x-ray picture in America. Why does he not commercialize this discovery?
9. Why are many of Nikola's ideas and inventions veiled in mystery in Chapter 29, "The Missing Papers"?
10. What happens when the New York Times publishes a story indicating that Tesla and Edison will receive a Nobel Prize in physics?
Essay Topic 1
Later in his life, Nikola Tesla becomes enamored with feeding and caring for pigeons in Manhattan. Author Margaret Cheney provides numerous theories that attempt to explain Nikola's attraction and even compulsion for the birds. Describe the various theories mentioned in the book, and explain which theory is the most plausible to you. Why? Finally, discuss your opinion about whether Nikola's love of nursing pigeons has something to do with an attempt to replace the lack of a female marriage partner in his life.
Essay Topic 2
After the fire in Nikola's laboratory, he is almost financially destitute. Nonetheless, he makes several judgment errors. List at least five errors and select the two that most inhibit Nikola's work during that time period. Describe your reasons for your selections.
Essay Topic 3
Over a period of several decades, Nikola Tesla has a platonic relationship with Katherine Johnson. Describe the reasons you think Nikola and Katherine have for valuing this relationship. What does Katherine provide Nikola? And in turn, what does Nikola bring Katherine? What reasons is this friendship able to survive for so many years, especially since Katherine is married to Nikola Tesla's friend Robert Underwood Johnson?
This section contains 2,342 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)