|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are balloons ordered?
2. Who adores Nikola Tesla for his many charms?
3. What type of motor does Nikola Tesla conceive of while walking in the park?
4. How does Thomas Edison use electrocution as a political weapon?
5. For what does Nikola offer a plan to redesign for Edison?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 30, "The Legacy," why does Robert Golka believe in the work of Nikola Tesla and continue to carry it on, and why is this also frustrating for Golka?
2. In Chapter 16,"Ridiculed, Condemned, Combated," what project is responsible for Nikola Tesla getting little sleep?
3. In Chapter 24, "Transitions," why does Nikola Tesla bemoan the "problem" of women in an interview in the Detroit Free Press?
4. What role does the National Research Council have in preventing Nikola from getting his ideas listened to?
5. What influence does Nikola have on some Canadians with respect to wireless electric power generation?
6. Why does Nikola try not to attend the Edison Medal ceremony to receive his award?
7. In Chapter 5, "The War of the Currents Begins," describe several events that demonstrate that Nikola Tesla's notoriety is growing.
8. In Chapter 14, "Blackout at Colorado Springs," what factors contribute to the failure of Nikola Tesla's Colorado Springs laboratory?
9. What happens when the New York Times publishes a story indicating that Tesla and Edison will receive a Nobel Prize in physics?
10. In Chapter 4, "At the Court of Mr. Edison," why is the early relationship between Nikola Tesla and Thomas Edison strained?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Later in his life, Nikola Tesla becomes enamored with feeding and caring for pigeons in Manhattan. Author Margaret Cheney provides numerous theories that attempt to explain Nikola's attraction and even compulsion for the birds. Describe the various theories mentioned in the book, and explain which theory is the most plausible to you. Why? Finally, discuss your opinion about whether Nikola's love of nursing pigeons has something to do with an attempt to replace the lack of a female marriage partner in his life.
Essay Topic 2
In his earlier years, Nikola subscribes to the theory that women have a certain place in the fabric of society, supportive of their men, and not holding leadership positions. Later, through his friendship with Katherine Johnson and women such as Ann Morgan, he changes his position. Describe how his position changes, how he makes this known publicly, and what influence you think Katherine and Ann individually or collectively have on this shift.
Essay Topic 3
Nikola's expresses two goals for his move to Colorado Springs -- to beat Marconi with a wireless system, and to transmit energy plentifully and cheaply around the Earth. There is no documented information to support research for either of these goals. Although Nikola is satisfied himself that he can make lightning dance and has received messages from outside the earth's atmosphere, he has failed in his attempt to reach both of his stated goals. Explain the reasons for the failure and his eventual departure from Colorado Springs. What, if anything has he learned that may help him do things differently back in New York?
This section contains 2,383 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)