|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what financier does Nikola Tesla choose NOT to accept funds?
2. How tall is Nikola Tesla in the year 1893?
3. How does Nikola Tesla feel when he sees his experiment in progress?
4. How does Thomas Edison use electrocution as a political weapon?
5. What type of electrical service does Thomas Edison supply to people?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 4, "At the Court of Mr. Edison," why is the early relationship between Nikola Tesla and Thomas Edison strained?
2. Nikola produces the first x-ray picture in America. Why does he not commercialize this discovery?
3. In the "Acknowledgements" section, describe the reasons Leland Anderson is interested in Nikola Tesla.
4. In Chapter 5, "The War of the Currents Begins," why is Nikola Tesla depressed at age thirty?
5. In Chapter 3, "Immigrants of Distinction," why is Nikola Tesla's invention of alternating current so important to the world?
6. What invention does Nikola claim to be useful to send signals to Mars, and why is this possible?
7. In Chapter 7, "Radio," why does Nikola Tesla feel the need to go home?
8. In Chapter 13, "Hurler of Lightning," what are some of the effects of Nikola Tesla's experiments with the magnifying oscillator in Colorado Springs?
9. In Chapter 12, "Robots," why does Nikola Tesla have challenges moving his inventions from his laboratory into working prototypes?
10. Nikola's demonstration of the world's first radio-controlled boat doesn't make a big splash. Why is this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nikola has nothing but disdain for Orville Wright's aircraft technology. Therefore, he invents his own "flying stove" using early vertical takeoff technology that is not patented until 1928, and not utilized by two companies until after 1950. What reasons can you give for why Nikola is not able to prototype or commercialize this technology? Do you think at least some of his resistance to Wright's aircraft is due to personal or intellectual arrogance? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The tragic death of Nikola Tesla's older brother Daniel impacts Nikola Tesla at a very early age.
Part 1) Discuss how the loss of Nikola's brother Daniel leads to problems of self-confidence for Nikola.
Part 2) How does Daniel's death later impact Nikola Tesla's ability to be more successful and productive in his science career in America.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss two or three things that you learned as a result of reading this book -- and from all of the class and homework learning experiences. Explain the importance of what you learned in each case, and why your new knowledge might make you a different or better person as you grow older.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)