|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nikola Tesla's 81st birthday bring him?
(a) More international recognition.
(b) A new secretary.
(c) More funding for research.
(d) A new laboratory.
2. For what is Nikola Tesla singled out due to the role of Yugoslavia in the upcoming war?
(a) An ambassador to Croatia.
(b) A political friend of Yugoslavia.
(c) A scientific advisor.
(d) An ideological pawn between East and West.
3. In 1915, who builds a radio station for the U.S. Naval Radio Service?
(a) A German firm.
(b) A British firm.
(c) A French firm.
(d) A Serbian firm.
4. In what decade is Prohibition enacted?
5. What magazine carries two of Nikola Tesla's designs: extracting electricity from seawater and plans for a geothermal steam plant?
(b) Scientific American.
(c) Everyday Science & Mechanics.
(d) Popular Science.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finds Nikola Tesla dead in his bed on January 8?
2. How much capital funded the incorporation of the Tesla Ozone Company?
3. For what invention is the 1915 Nobel Prize in Physics given?
4. Who asks Nikola Tesla to accept the Edison Medal of the American Institute of Electrical Engineers?
5. In 1927, who tries to help Nikola Tesla with the promotion of a scientific concept?
Short Essay Questions
1. After 1915, why does Nikola work for two companies as described in Chapter 20, "Flying Stove"?
2. Why does Nikola try not to attend the Edison Medal ceremony to receive his award?
3. In Chapter 15, "Magnificent and Doomed," what trickery does Nikola Tesla use in pictures in a published article to give the impression that he is impervious to the lighting generated at his Colorado Springs laboratory?
4. In Chapter 17, "The Great Radio Controversy," what court rules that Nikola Tesla is the inventor of radio, rather than William Marconi?
5. In Chapter 24, "Transitions," why does Nikola Tesla bemoan the "problem" of women in an interview in the Detroit Free Press?
6. Why is there conflicting information about Nikola Tesla's invention of a "Chinese Wall" in the U.S. of Teleforce?
7. What happens when the New York Times publishes a story indicating that Tesla and Edison will receive a Nobel Prize in physics?
8. What is different about Nikola's flivver airplane, or flying stove, and other existing aircraft?
9. In Chapter 25, "The Birthday Parties," how does Kenneth Swezey make Nikola's seventy-fifth birthday memorable?
10. Describe why Nikola, now in his fifties, aggrandizes his theories and projects to others.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)