|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what city does Nikola Tesla study after running out of funds for college?
2. Who later demonstrates the correctness of Nikola Tesla's theory of cosmic rays as high-energy subatomic particles that could make other substances radioactive?
(a) Henri Becquerel.
(b) Vladimir Zworykin.
(c) Irene Curie.
(d) Thomas Edison.
3. In Chapter 10, "An Error of Judgment," to what does Nikola Tesla expose his head frequently?
(d) Radio waves.
4. Why are balloons ordered?
(a) For the enjoyment of local children.
(b) To anchor the equipment.
(c) To hoist stationary antennae into the air.
(d) To celebrate the completion of an experiment.
5. In Chapter 6, "Order of the Flaming Sword," how does Nikola Tesla share his inventions of electricity in a vacuum tube with other scientists?
(a) He publishes articles in magazines.
(b) He conducts lectures with demonstrations.
(c) He sends out letters to the scientists.
(d) He has a newspaper reporter write about them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nikola Tesla send through neighboring buildings?
2. What does Nikola Tesla invent that is used in Rahway, New Jersey?
3. In what year does the Tesla Electric Company open?
4. What type of motor does Nikola Tesla conceive of while walking in the park?
5. How tall is Nikola Tesla in the year 1893?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 4, "At the Court of Mr. Edison," why is the early relationship between Nikola Tesla and Thomas Edison strained?
2. In Chapter 2, "A Gambling Man," why does Nikola Tesla feel disappointed for his mother?
3. Describe three elements of the friendship between Nikola Tesla and Mr. and Mrs. Robert Wood Johnson.
4. In Chapter 12, "Robots," why does Nikola Tesla have challenges moving his inventions from his laboratory into working prototypes?
5. In Chapter 7, "Radio," why does Nikola Tesla feel the need to go home?
6. In Chapter 3, "Immigrants of Distinction," describe the influence that Charles Bachelor has on Nikola Tesla.
7. In Chapter 6, "Order of the Flaming Sword," what practical applications do Nikola Tesla's inventions have?
8. In Chapter 13, "Hurler of Lightning," what are some of the effects of Nikola Tesla's experiments with the magnifying oscillator in Colorado Springs?
9. In the "Acknowledgements" section, describe the reasons Leland Anderson is interested in Nikola Tesla.
10. Nikola's demonstration of the world's first radio-controlled boat doesn't make a big splash. Why is this?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)