|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what financier does Nikola Tesla choose NOT to accept funds?
(a) Thomas Edison.
(b) J. Pierpont Morgan.
(c) Robert Underwood Johnson.
(d) George Westinghouse.
2. In Chapter 10, "An Error of Judgment," to what does Nikola Tesla expose his head frequently?
(b) Radio waves.
3. In Chapter 13, "Hurler of Lightning," to where does Nikola Tesla move in 1899?
(c) Colorado Springs.
4. How does George Scherff feel about Nikola Tesla?
(a) He feels nothing for him.
(b) He worships him.
(c) He feels sorry for him.
(d) He detests him.
5. Who later demonstrates the correctness of Nikola Tesla's theory of cosmic rays as high-energy subatomic particles that could make other substances radioactive?
(a) Irene Curie.
(b) Henri Becquerel.
(c) Thomas Edison.
(d) Vladimir Zworykin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps to found the Tesla Society around 1956?
2. What type of motor does Nikola Tesla conceive of while walking in the park?
3. For what does Nikola offer a plan to redesign for Edison?
4. For whom does Nikola Tesla say he will build a villa in New York City?
5. What is the Tesla coil?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 2, "A Gambling Man," why does Nikola Tesla feel disappointed for his mother?
2. In Chapter 13, "Hurler of Lightning," what are some of the effects of Nikola Tesla's experiments with the magnifying oscillator in Colorado Springs?
3. In Chapter 3, "Immigrants of Distinction," why is Nikola Tesla's invention of alternating current so important to the world?
4. What are the six fundamental principles of modern radio, and where does Nikola Tesla demonstrate them in 1893?
5. In Chapter 10, "An Error in Judgment," describe three reasons why Nikola is almost destitute financially.
6. In Chapter 5, "The War of the Currents Begins," describe several events that demonstrate that Nikola Tesla's notoriety is growing.
7. Nikola produces the first x-ray picture in America. Why does he not commercialize this discovery?
8. In Chapter 9, "High Road, Low Road," Nikola Tesla focuses on the use of alternating current for electricity generation, while his competitor Thomas Edison refuses to endorse anything but direct current. How is the electricity generation business divided in the mid-1890s in Buffalo?
9. In the "Acknowledgements" section, describe the reasons Leland Anderson is interested in Nikola Tesla.
10. In Chapter 12, "Robots," why does Nikola Tesla have challenges moving his inventions from his laboratory into working prototypes?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)