|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What system of Nikola Tesla's invention allows alternating current to be delivered?
(a) Polyphase system.
(b) DC system.
(c) Fluorescent bulb system.
(d) Voltage system.
2. What reward does Thomas Edison offer Nikola Tesla for completing the work with the dynamo?
(a) A $50,000 bonus.
(b) Vacation days.
(c) A $10/week raise.
(d) Stock in Thomas Edison's company.
3. To what group does Nikola Tesla give a lecture about mechanical electrical oscillators on August 25, 1893?
(a) The International Congress.
(b) The Electrical Congress.
(c) The United States Congress.
(d) The engineers at the Chicago World's Fair.
4. What does Nikola Tesla demonstrate with thousands of high-frequency volts running through his body?
(a) A working model of the incandescent sun.
(b) A fluorescent light bulb.
(d) The light on Mars.
5. What science is always at the forefront of Nikola Tesla's work?
(c) Nuclear fission.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Nikola Tesla when he watches his Colorado Springs experiment?
2. In what 1896 publication is there speculation about Nikola Tesla's status with women?
3. What happens to horses when Nikola Tesla is running his Colorado Springs experiments?
4. In the early 1900s, from what illness does Nikola Tesla suffer?
5. What is Nikola Tesla's first job accomplishment with Thomas Edison?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, "Immigrants of Distinction," describe the influence that Charles Bachelor has on Nikola Tesla.
2. Describe three elements of the friendship between Nikola Tesla and Mr. and Mrs. Robert Wood Johnson.
3. Nikola produces the first x-ray picture in America. Why does he not commercialize this discovery?
4. What invention does Nikola claim to be useful to send signals to Mars, and why is this possible?
5. Nikola's demonstration of the world's first radio-controlled boat doesn't make a big splash. Why is this?
6. In the "Acknowledgements" section, describe the reasons Leland Anderson is interested in Nikola Tesla.
7. How does Nikola out in Colorado keep Scherff motivated while working at the laboratory back in New York?
8. In Chapter 4, "At the Court of Mr. Edison," describe the personality differences between Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla.
9. In Chapter 5, "The War of the Currents Begins," describe several events that demonstrate that Nikola Tesla's notoriety is growing.
10. Why does Nikola Tesla become a regular patron at the Waldorf Astoria in New York City in Chapter 8, "High Society"?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)