|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what financier does Nikola Tesla choose NOT to accept funds?
(a) J. Pierpont Morgan.
(b) Thomas Edison.
(c) George Westinghouse.
(d) Robert Underwood Johnson.
2. What type of electrical service does Thomas Edison supply to people?
(a) Hydroelectric current.
(b) Direct current.
(c) Indirect current.
(d) Alternating current.
3. Who helps to found the Tesla Society around 1956?
(a) D. McFarlan Moore.
(b) Louis Cohen.
(c) Gano Dunn.
(d) Leland Anderson.
4. What happens to the electric company generator when Nikola Tesla runs his experiment?
(b) It knocks the generator off line and makes it burn.
(c) It restores the generator to the line.
(d) It discharges and quits.
5. What profession does Nikola Tesla's father expect him to follow?
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Nikola Tesla perform a major experiment in his Colorado Springs laboratory?
2. Why is Nikola Tesla's vacuum tube unsuitable for laboratory research?
3. In the early 1900s, from what illness does Nikola Tesla suffer?
4. In what city does Nikola Tesla find a job in 1881?
5. What happens to Nikola Tesla when he steps onto his experimental platform in his laboratory?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1, "Modern Prometheus," what is the result of Nikola Tesla's fireball demonstration for Mark Twain and several other contemporaries?
2. In Chapter 3, "Immigrants of Distinction," describe the influence that Charles Bachelor has on Nikola Tesla.
3. In the "Acknowledgements" section, describe the reasons Leland Anderson is interested in Nikola Tesla.
4. Why does Nikola Tesla become a regular patron at the Waldorf Astoria in New York City in Chapter 8, "High Society"?
5. Nikola's demonstration of the world's first radio-controlled boat doesn't make a big splash. Why is this?
6. In Chapter 2, "A Gambling Man," why does Nikola Tesla feel disappointed for his mother?
7. From the book's Introduction, why does Nikola Tesla maintain an intensely private life?
8. In Chapter 14, "Blackout at Colorado Springs," what factors contribute to the failure of Nikola Tesla's Colorado Springs laboratory?
9. Nikola produces the first x-ray picture in America. Why does he not commercialize this discovery?
10. In Chapter 11, "To Mars," what patents does Nikola file in November, 1897, and what application do they potentially support?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)