|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what age does Nikola Tesla take passage on the ship Saturnia?
2. What does Nikola Tesla do to the oscillator?
(a) Turns it off.
(b) Oils it.
(c) Smashes it.
(d) Turns it up.
3. In the year 1888, who buys Nikola Tesla's patents to use in his electric company?
(a) George Westinghouse.
(b) Dr. B.A. Behrend.
(c) Mark Twain.
(d) Thomas Edison.
4. What event takes Nikola Tesla away from radio research in 1893?
(a) The Chicago World's Fair.
(b) A bad radio experiment.
(c) A scientists' meeting in London.
(d) The World Congress.
5. How does George Scherff feel about Nikola Tesla?
(a) He feels nothing for him.
(b) He feels sorry for him.
(c) He worships him.
(d) He detests him.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what group does Nikola Tesla give a lecture about mechanical electrical oscillators on August 25, 1893?
2. What does Nikola Tesla demonstrate with thousands of high-frequency volts running through his body?
3. What accomplishment occurs at Niagara Falls in 1895?
4. What type of engine does Nikola Tesla invent in Chapter 12, "Robots"?
5. For whom does Nikola Tesla say he will build a villa in New York City?
Short Essay Questions
1. What invention does Nikola claim to be useful to send signals to Mars, and why is this possible?
2. In Chapter 14, "Blackout at Colorado Springs," what factors contribute to the failure of Nikola Tesla's Colorado Springs laboratory?
3. In Chapter 11, "To Mars," what patents does Nikola file in November, 1897, and what application do they potentially support?
4. In Chapter 4, "At the Court of Mr. Edison," describe the personality differences between Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla.
5. What potential modern applications does author Margaret Cheney describe for Nikola Tesla's invention of a peculiar and sensitive vacuum tube?
6. In Chapter 9, "High Road, Low Road," Nikola Tesla focuses on the use of alternating current for electricity generation, while his competitor Thomas Edison refuses to endorse anything but direct current. How is the electricity generation business divided in the mid-1890s in Buffalo?
7. In Chapter 7, "Radio," why does Nikola Tesla feel the need to go home?
8. Nikola produces the first x-ray picture in America. Why does he not commercialize this discovery?
9. Describe three elements of the friendship between Nikola Tesla and Mr. and Mrs. Robert Wood Johnson.
10. In Chapter 1, "Modern Prometheus," what is the result of Nikola Tesla's fireball demonstration for Mark Twain and several other contemporaries?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)