|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What personality difference jeopardizes the relationship between Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla?
(a) They solve problems differently.
(b) They have different schedules.
(c) They have different religious beliefs.
(d) They have different hygiene.
2. What is Nikola Tesla's first job accomplishment with Thomas Edison?
(a) He improves direct current.
(b) He improves Edison's laboratory.
(c) He invents new types of light bulbs.
(d) He fixes a ship's lighting plant.
3. For what patent does Nikola Tesla file in 1898?
(a) Radio remote control for use in guided vehicles.
(b) Radio transistors.
(c) Radio remote control for use in his laboratory.
(d) An alternating current engine for an automobile.
4. In what 1896 publication is there speculation about Nikola Tesla's status with women?
(a) The Electrical Times.
(b) The Wall Street Journal.
(c) The Electrical Review.
(d) The New York Times.
5. How tall is Nikola Tesla in the year 1893?
(a) Six feet four inches.
(b) Six feet six inches.
(c) Five feet two inches.
(d) Six feet.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does the Tesla Electric Company open?
2. What major German invention in 1896 is most likely predated by Nikola Tesla's version?
3. What happens to horses when Nikola Tesla is running his Colorado Springs experiments?
4. When does Nikola Tesla perform a major experiment in his Colorado Springs laboratory?
5. In what city does Nikola Tesla give a lecture to the Institution of Electrical Engineers?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, "Immigrants of Distinction," why is Nikola Tesla's invention of alternating current so important to the world?
2. In Chapter 14, "Blackout at Colorado Springs," what factors contribute to the failure of Nikola Tesla's Colorado Springs laboratory?
3. Nikola's demonstration of the world's first radio-controlled boat doesn't make a big splash. Why is this?
4. In Chapter 2, "A Gambling Man," why does Nikola Tesla feel disappointed for his mother?
5. In the "Acknowledgements" section, describe the reasons Leland Anderson is interested in Nikola Tesla.
6. In Chapter 4, "At the Court of Mr. Edison," why is the early relationship between Nikola Tesla and Thomas Edison strained?
7. From the book's Introduction, why does Nikola Tesla maintain an intensely private life?
8. In Chapter 4, "At the Court of Mr. Edison," describe the personality differences between Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla.
9. Describe three elements of the friendship between Nikola Tesla and Mr. and Mrs. Robert Wood Johnson.
10. In Chapter 1, "Modern Prometheus," what is the result of Nikola Tesla's fireball demonstration for Mark Twain and several other contemporaries?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)