|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Nikola Tesla doing in Europe when he conceives the idea that man could produce electric storms?
(a) Touring Zagreb.
(b) Doing research in Budapest.
(c) Roaming in his native mountains.
(d) Visiting his mother's grave.
2. What major German invention in 1896 is most likely predated by Nikola Tesla's version?
(a) The x-ray.
(b) The fluorescent light bulb.
(c) The radio.
(d) The vacuum tube.
3. What is the Tesla coil?
(a) An electromagnetic force.
(b) A vacuum tube.
(c) A radio wave.
(d) A high frequency transmitter.
4. In Chapter 10, "An Error of Judgment," to what does Nikola Tesla expose his head frequently?
(d) Radio waves.
5. What happens to Nikola Tesla's laboratory in 1895?
(a) It catches fire.
(b) It is robbed.
(c) It is raided by police.
(d) It is made larger.
6. What does Nikola Tesla do to the oscillator?
(a) Turns it up.
(b) Smashes it.
(c) Oils it.
(d) Turns it off.
7. What does a group of men offer Tesla the opportunity to do?
(a) Buy Thomas Edison's company.
(b) Form his own company.
(c) Invest in other businesses.
(d) Travel in Europe.
8. In what year does Nikola Tesla go to work for Thomas Edison's subsidiary in Paris?
9. What event takes Nikola Tesla away from radio research in 1893?
(a) A bad radio experiment.
(b) The World Congress.
(c) The Chicago World's Fair.
(d) A scientists' meeting in London.
10. In Chapter 13, "Hurler of Lightning," to where does Nikola Tesla move in 1899?
(b) Colorado Springs.
11. After World War II, much of Nikola Tesla's library materials are shipped where?
(a) Belgrade, Yugoslavia.
(b) Paris, France.
(c) London, England.
(d) Washington, D.C.
12. What happens when Nikola Tesla visits an official in Washington to offer a robotic invention to the government?
(a) The official accepts the research.
(b) The official asks for more research.
(c) The official laughs at Nikola Tesla.
(d) The official tells him someone already approached the government.
13. What type of motor does Nikola Tesla conceive of while walking in the park?
(a) An AC motor.
(b) A DC motor.
(c) A gas powered motor.
(d) A pulley motor.
14. What profession does Nikola Tesla's father expect him to follow?
15. Who contributed $30,000 toward the building of the new research station?
(a) Simpson and Crawford.
(b) John Jacob Astor.
(c) Leonard Curtis.
(d) Robert Underwood Johnson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps to found the Tesla Society around 1956?
2. How many volts are Nikola Tesla's coils producing when he asks Leonard Curtis to find him a new laboratory?
3. Why is Nikola Tesla's vacuum tube unsuitable for laboratory research?
4. With what planet does Nikola Tesla say communication can be made?
5. Whom does Nikola Tesla invite to a celebration at the Waldorf in 1898?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)