|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Vera imagine is waiting for her in her room?
2. What is the one possible hiding place in Rogers' room?
3. What does Vera wear while she is searched?
4. How does Vera get the revolver?
5. Who does Emily think she sees in the dining room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What romantic notion inspires the author of the manuscript's method of confession?
2. What are Lombard's instructions to Vera?
3. Who is given the keys to the silver chest?
4. Who is Mr. Morris?
5. What is the Judge's appearance when he is found dead?
6. How does the Judge respond when Lombard refuses to give up his weapon?
7. What really happened to Cyril?
8. Why does Lombard suspect Wargrave?
9. What is Vera's opinion of the idea that Lombard might be the killer?
10. What initially gives Wargrave the idea of murdering the people on Indian Island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Armstrong unwittingly helps Wargrave with his murders. Was Armstrong naive or did he trust Wargrave for other reasons? Explain the nature of this relationship. What do the two men think of each other?
Essay Topic 2
In Wargrave's confession, he says that he believes that the "innocent must not suffer." Do you believe that Wargrave has stuck to this? Use examples from the text to support your decision.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast two or three of main characters in the novel based on the following areas:
- Level of guilt felt about their "crimes"
- Reaction to the events that take place on Indian Island
- Social standing
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)