|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Blore take with him when he leaves his room?
2. What does Armstrong say about the older guests?
3. Why do the investigators believe Narracott checked on the island even though he was instructed not to?
4. What does Emily think she sees on the windowpane?
5. Who offers to help clear the table?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lombard suspect Wargrave?
2. Why does Blore think that Emily might be guilty?
3. What does Vera find when she returns to her room?
4. What romantic notion inspires the author of the manuscript's method of confession?
5. Describe Blore's appearance.
6. How does the Judge respond when Lombard refuses to give up his weapon?
7. Who is Mr. Morris?
8. How does Lombard suggest signaling for help?
9. What does Armstrong say about Emily's strength?
10. How does Rogers ensure that nothing will happen to the figurines?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the symbolism of the weather on Indian Island. How does it affect the tone of the story?
Essay Topic 2
This novel has no clear "hero" or protagonist. Select two or three characters that you think best fill the role of "hero" and explain why. Explain why you think Christie decided to tell this tale without a heroic detective who "saves the day."
Essay Topic 3
Wargrave sees himself as the ultimate arbiter of justice. Describe his character. Does he feel guilt for his actions? Explain your answers using examples from the text.
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)