|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Blore's explanation for Emily's lack of guilt over what happened to Beatrice?
2. Where was Rogers' body found?
3. What does Emily think she sees on the windowpane?
4. Who makes tea for the others?
5. What does Lombard at first refuse to give up?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Emily interpret the poem's reference to a "red herring?"
2. Who is given the keys to the silver chest?
3. What romantic notion inspires the author of the manuscript's method of confession?
4. Why does Blore think that Emily might be guilty?
5. How does Rogers ensure that nothing will happen to the figurines?
6. What are Lombard's instructions to Vera?
7. Describe Blore's appearance.
8. What did Morris tell the people of Sticklehaven?
9. What is the Judge's appearance when he is found dead?
10. Who is Mr. Morris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Christie exploit the class or social system that the characters are a part of? How do the characters' social roles affect the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Indian Island represents something different for each of the main characters. Using examples from the text describe what the island symbolizes for two or three of the main characters.
Essay Topic 3
This novel has no clear "hero" or protagonist. Select two or three characters that you think best fill the role of "hero" and explain why. Explain why you think Christie decided to tell this tale without a heroic detective who "saves the day."
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)