|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Blore know Landor?
2. What is Armstrong certain that Rogers did not use to kill his elderly employer?
3. Who was Edward Seton accused of murdering?
4. What does Rogers have to do before he can retire for the evening?
5. How does Macarthur's wife die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Blore's evaluation of the letter to Rogers?
2. How was Macarthur killed?
3. Why does General Macarthur think that the motorboat is not coming?
4. What are some habits in others that annoy Emily Brent?
5. What is the conflict between Vera and Emily concerning Lombard's crime?
6. How does Lombard think Marston was poisoned?
7. Why does Vera feel lucky about her job on Indian Island?
8. What does Armstrong remember about the Seton case?
9. What was General Macarthur's life like in Devon?
10. How does Emily describe the weather?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wargrave sees himself as the ultimate arbiter of justice. Describe his character. Does he feel guilt for his actions? Explain your answers using examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
NOTE: This essay touches on the sensitive issue of derogatory language in the history of the story's title. Use delicacy and caution when discussing with students.
The novel "And Then There Were None," has had two previous titles, both of which are used in publications of the book throughout the world: "Ten Little Indians" and "Ten Little Niggers."
The theme of prejudice and "otherness" experienced by the characters is also revealed in these titles. Analyze the role of prejudice in the novel, particularly in the characters of Vera, Lombard and Emily. How do their prejudices affect them? Why do you think Christie used the perjorative term in her original work? Does knowing about this tittle affect a modern-day reading of the book or not?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the symbolism of the weather on Indian Island. How does it affect the tone of the story?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)