|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has the voice been coming from?
2. Who suggests that everyone go to bed?
3. What street does Justice Wargrave associate Dr. Armstrong with?
4. Who chokes on his wine?
5. What kind of food is left in the larder?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lombard explain the accusation against him?
2. What is Rogers' appearance like when he comes on the terrace to speak to Dr. Armstrong?
3. How does Lombard think Marston was poisoned?
4. How does Emily Brent explain Mrs. Rogers' death?
5. Why don't Vera and the others think that Marston would have killed himself?
6. Describe Marston's arrival in Sticklehaven.
7. What are some habits in others that annoy Emily Brent?
8. After the "indictments" are played, what is the behavior of Wargrave and Miss Brent?
9. Why does Vera feel lucky about her job on Indian Island?
10. What is Blore's evaluation of the letter to Rogers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Armstrong unwittingly helps Wargrave with his murders. Was Armstrong naive or did he trust Wargrave for other reasons? Explain the nature of this relationship. What do the two men think of each other?
Essay Topic 2
The novel doesn't really have a "happy ending." Decide whether you think the ending is a negative or a positive one. Explain why and use examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Who is really in control in the novel: the characters or the murderer? At the end, it is Vera's choice to kill Lombard or the has her free will been eroded by the psychological torture of Wargrave?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)