|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Emily use while discussing Mrs. Rogers' death?
2. Why doesn't Lombard think Rogers killed his wife?
3. How many men does Lombard admit to having abandoned?
4. What interests did Macarthur's wife have in common with her lover?
5. Who does General Macarthur keep seeing in his mind before he falls asleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Lady Constance Culmington's plans the last time Justice Wargrave saw her?
2. What do Vera and Emily disagree about?
3. What is the conflict between Vera and Emily concerning Lombard's crime?
4. What is Blore's evaluation of the letter to Rogers?
5. Why does Vera feel lucky about her job on Indian Island?
6. How was Macarthur killed?
7. What was General Macarthur's life like in Devon?
8. After the "indictments" are played, what is the behavior of Wargrave and Miss Brent?
9. Why does General Macarthur think that the motorboat is not coming?
10. What does Wargrave deduce about their host?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wargrave sees himself as the ultimate arbiter of justice. Describe his character. Does he feel guilt for his actions? Explain your answers using examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
In Wargrave's confession, he says that he believes that the "innocent must not suffer." Do you believe that Wargrave has stuck to this? Use examples from the text to support your decision.
Essay Topic 3
The novel progresses from a world of order to one of chaos. Describe the progression and explain how it affects the characters.
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)