|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Blore think has gone mad?
2. Who ordered and paid for everything on Indian Island?
3. What does Rogers drop during the recording?
4. Who does Blore think murdered Mrs. Rogers?
5. Where has the voice been coming from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Armstrong believe Rogers killed his employer?
2. How does Emily claim she was deceived by Beatrice's behavior?
3. Why has the American millionaire who created Indian Island decided to sell it?
4. How is the house on Indian Island described in this chapter?
5. Why does Vera feel lucky about her job on Indian Island?
6. What is Dr. Armstrong's recollection of the accusation against him?
7. How were Mr. and Mrs. Rogers employed and given their orders?
8. Why was Lombard invited to the island?
9. Why did Blore, Armstrong and Lombard assume a stranger was upstairs and not Rogers?
10. What were Lady Constance Culmington's plans the last time Justice Wargrave saw her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This novel has no clear "hero" or protagonist. Select two or three characters that you think best fill the role of "hero" and explain why. Explain why you think Christie decided to tell this tale without a heroic detective who "saves the day."
Essay Topic 2
How does this story compare and contrast to a "typical" piece of mystery/detective fiction? What elements does Christie use to "trick" the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Besides the killer, the other "antagonist" in the novel can be seen as people's consciences. Explain how each character's conscience or perception of guilt affects them. Select two or three characters to analyze.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)