|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Armstrong say Marston died of?
2. Where has the voice been coming from?
3. What was the return address on the letter sent to Rogers?
4. What does Rogers have to do before he can retire for the evening?
5. When can't boats land on Indian Island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was General Macarthur's life like in Devon?
2. What does Armstrong remember about the Seton case?
3. How does Lombard explain the accusation against him?
4. Describe the house on Indian Island.
5. How does Emily Brent explain Mrs. Rogers' death?
6. What is Blore's evaluation of the letter to Rogers?
7. Why did Blore, Armstrong and Lombard assume a stranger was upstairs and not Rogers?
8. Describe Marston's arrival in Sticklehaven.
9. What did Emily suggest Vera do with her after breakfast?
10. How is the house on Indian Island described in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
NOTE: This essay touches on the sensitive issue of derogatory language in the history of the story's title. Use delicacy and caution when discussing with students.
The novel "And Then There Were None," has had two previous titles, both of which are used in publications of the book throughout the world: "Ten Little Indians" and "Ten Little Niggers."
The theme of prejudice and "otherness" experienced by the characters is also revealed in these titles. Analyze the role of prejudice in the novel, particularly in the characters of Vera, Lombard and Emily. How do their prejudices affect them? Why do you think Christie used the perjorative term in her original work? Does knowing about this tittle affect a modern-day reading of the book or not?
Essay Topic 2
Indian Island represents something different for each of the main characters. Using examples from the text describe what the island symbolizes for two or three of the main characters.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the symbolism of the weather on Indian Island. How does it affect the tone of the story?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)