Lesson 1 (from Chapter 1)
Agatha Christie uses the brief character sketches in this chapter as a way of introducing the reader to the characters and also to create a suspenseful plot.
The objective of this lesson is for students to be able to define suspense and analyze how Christie builds suspense in the first chapter.
1) DISCUSSION: Ask students to think about the last time they saw or read something scary. Ask the following questions in a large group discussion:
- What was scary about the movie or book?
- How did the film or book create the frightening mood?
- What is it about not knowing what will happen that makes things frightening?
2) SUSPENSE: Define "suspense" for students as an uncertainty about what will happen in a story. Explain that suspense is meant to create anxiety or tension in the reader. Suspense can be created through sensory detail...
This section contains 7,892 words
(approx. 27 pages at 300 words per page)