|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dick tell Nicole that men look at her?
2. How many children do Dick and Nicole have?
3. What does Nicole give Tommy for his cough?
4. Who does Nicole consider taking as a lover?
5. Where do Dick and Nicole go for Christmas?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nicole manage to get the best of all the worlds she wants?
2. What is the state of the Divers' marriage by the end of Book 3, Chapter 11?
3. How does Dick begin to fall out of love with Nicole?
4. What happens to make Dick deal with his feelings for Nicole?
5. What is the irony of the Divers intent to ask about other people's happiness?
6. How does Dick encounter Rosemary again?
7. Explain the opinions that Franz and his wife have of the Divers.
8. Describe the situation in which Dick falls into deeper emotional debt to Nicole's family.
9. How is Dick's self-esteem diminished in his work?
10. What are Nicole's perceptions of Tommy in Book 3, Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Rosemary Hoyt's situation. Why is she so bored with most people? Has she grown up too fast? Why does she seek out situations that are beyond her years? Why does she think Dick could possibly be interested in her?
Essay Topic 2
Dick begins his psychology career with pure motives to help people by being good and wise. What does it mean when Dick wonders to himself, "God, am I like the rest after all?" Is Dick afraid that he is interested in financial gain as well? Does he witness the practices of his mentors and wish for the same level of financial success and easy life that they live? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Dick is able to separate from Nicole on the advice of her doctors. Why do they think this is in Nicole's best interest even though she is in love with Dick? Why does Dick stand for this even though he is in love with Nicole? Why does it take the jealousy of seeing Nicole with another man to shake Dick out of his passive reverie? Explain.
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)