|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nicole consider to be her security blanket?
2. What does Dick find in his hotel room the next day?
3. How many children do Dick and Nicole have?
4. Who visits Nicole when Dick goes to Provence?
5. Why does Beth rouse Clay from his drunken sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the opinions that Franz and his wife have of the Divers.
2. Describe the situation in which Dick falls into deeper emotional debt to Nicole's family.
3. How does Nicole manage to get the best of all the worlds she wants?
4. What does Dick realize about his relationship with Nicole after being with Rosemary?
5. What does Tommy tell Nicole when they begin flirting with each other?
6. Why does Dick get upset at Beth's manipulations?
7. What is the perception of homosexuality during this time?
8. What is the tragic event that occurs while Dick is in Innsbruck?
9. What is so surprising about Dick going to the aid of their friend, Mary North?
10. What does Abe North's death represent for Dick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dick calls the love between him and Nicole an "active" love. What does he mean by that? What does he hope Rosemary will understand by the description? What is so complicated about the love between Dick and Nicole? Is it different from the love between most married couples? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Dick begins his psychology career with pure motives to help people by being good and wise. What does it mean when Dick wonders to himself, "God, am I like the rest after all?" Is Dick afraid that he is interested in financial gain as well? Does he witness the practices of his mentors and wish for the same level of financial success and easy life that they live? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the nature of Nicole's mental illness? Is it truly schizophrenia? Or has Nicole created her own safe world as a result of psychological damage done by her father's inappropriate behavior with her? What are Nicole's coping mechanisms?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)