|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dick fire at Villa Diana?
2. What is the next destination on Dick's trip?
3. What does Dick resent about Beth?
4. Where does Dick actually go?
5. What do both Dick and Nicole realize now?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tommy tell Nicole when they begin flirting with each other?
2. What is the tragic event that occurs while Dick is in Innsbruck?
3. What is the symbolism of Dick's feelings for the Italians and French?
4. Why does Dick get upset at Beth's manipulations?
5. How does Dick's profession get in the way of his marriage?
6. How does Dick begin to fall out of love with Nicole?
7. How does Dick view his and Franz' differences as psychiatrists?
8. Explain the opinions that Franz and his wife have of the Divers.
9. What is the irony of the Divers intent to ask about other people's happiness?
10. What does Dick realize about his relationship with Nicole after being with Rosemary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Dick makes a conscious effort to engage in Rosemary's life, why does he consider it to be a turning point in his own? Why does he follow Rosemary to the film studio? Why does he make sure she does not see him, only to phone her at the earliest opportunity? Is he confused? Is he inexperienced? Explain this time in Dick's life.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Rosemary Hoyt's situation. Why is she so bored with most people? Has she grown up too fast? Why does she seek out situations that are beyond her years? Why does she think Dick could possibly be interested in her?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Dick flirt with Rosemary and then toy with her emotions? Do you think Dick's ego is so fragile that he needs attention from anyone willing to oblige him? Even though Dick knows that he cannot indulge his instincts with Rosemary, he continues to play along. Why does Nicole tolerate this behavior from her husband? Explain.
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)