|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What musical instrument does Dick play?
2. With whom does Dick spend his last days on the Riviera?
3. Where do Nicole and Tommy take a drive?
4. What does Dick find in his hotel room the next day?
5. Who is with Nicole when Dick sees her in a cable car?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Dick at the end of the novel?
2. What is the perception of homosexuality during this time?
3. What does Dick realize about his relationship with Nicole after being with Rosemary?
4. What happens to make Dick deal with his feelings for Nicole?
5. How does Dick encounter Rosemary again?
6. What is the tragic event that occurs while Dick is in Innsbruck?
7. What is so surprising about Dick going to the aid of their friend, Mary North?
8. How is Dick's self-esteem diminished in his work?
9. What is the state of the Divers' marriage by the end of Book 3, Chapter 11?
10. What is the symbolism of Dick's feelings for the Italians and French?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the nature of Nicole's breakdown in the bathroom of her hotel suite? Why does she shout at Dick for not giving her privacy in the only place she can be alone? Does this mean that all the rest of Nicole's life is an act? Or has she just reacted to Dick's indiscretions like any wife would? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
When Dick makes a conscious effort to engage in Rosemary's life, why does he consider it to be a turning point in his own? Why does he follow Rosemary to the film studio? Why does he make sure she does not see him, only to phone her at the earliest opportunity? Is he confused? Is he inexperienced? Explain this time in Dick's life.
Essay Topic 3
Dick calls the love between him and Nicole an "active" love. What does he mean by that? What does he hope Rosemary will understand by the description? What is so complicated about the love between Dick and Nicole? Is it different from the love between most married couples? Explain.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)