|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Beth go to get some help for the jailed Dick?
2. What does Nicole say she learned a lot about in the institution?
3. Where do Dick and Nicole go to get haircuts together?
4. Who does Dick see on the boat ride back to Europe?
5. Who does Dick run into while in Naples?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nicole manage to get the best of all the worlds she wants?
2. How does Dick begin to fall out of love with Nicole?
3. What is the state of Dick's alcoholism at this point?
4. How is Dick's self-esteem diminished in his work?
5. How does Dick's profession get in the way of his marriage?
6. How does money become a factor in Dick and Nicole's marriage and affect Dick's self esteem?
7. How does Nicole's family's wealth further complicate Dick's life?
8. What happens to Dick at the end of the novel?
9. What is the tragic event that occurs while Dick is in Innsbruck?
10. How is Dick's marriage to Nicole compared to a patient's case?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the nature of Nicole's breakdown in the bathroom of her hotel suite? Why does she shout at Dick for not giving her privacy in the only place she can be alone? Does this mean that all the rest of Nicole's life is an act? Or has she just reacted to Dick's indiscretions like any wife would? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the novel, Tommy tells Dick that he had treated Nicole more like a patient than a wife. Explain what Tommy means by this. Do you think Tommy is accurate in his appraisal of the situation? Do you think Dick and Nicole are aware of this dynamic? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Dick begins his psychology career with pure motives to help people by being good and wise. What does it mean when Dick wonders to himself, "God, am I like the rest after all?" Is Dick afraid that he is interested in financial gain as well? Does he witness the practices of his mentors and wish for the same level of financial success and easy life that they live? Explain.
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)