|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Dick spend his last days on the Riviera?
2. What does Franz' wife say is the only reason Dick married Nicole?
3. Where do Dick and Nicole go for dinner?
4. What city does Dick associate with the demise of his relationship with Rosemary?
5. Where does Rosemary take Dick the next day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tommy tell Nicole when they begin flirting with each other?
2. What happens to Dick at the end of the novel?
3. What happens to Dick and Rosemary's relationship while in Naples?
4. How is Dick's self-esteem diminished in his work?
5. Describe the situation in which Dick falls into deeper emotional debt to Nicole's family.
6. What are Nicole's perceptions of Tommy in Book 3, Chapter 6?
7. What is the Diver family's situation after Dick sells his portion of the clinic?
8. How does Nicole manage to get the best of all the worlds she wants?
9. What happens to make Dick deal with his feelings for Nicole?
10. What is the state of Dick's alcoholism at this point?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the circumstances under which Dr. Dohmler takes on Nicole as a patient. Do you think Dr.Dohmler sincerely wants to help Nicole? Or does he see dollar signs when he realizes the extent of the treatment Nicole will need as a result of sexual abuse from her wealthy father? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of Collis Clay in the novel? Why does he seem to follow Rosemary around even though she is not interested in him? Does Collis represent a naivete which Rosemary has lost? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
When Dick makes a conscious effort to engage in Rosemary's life, why does he consider it to be a turning point in his own? Why does he follow Rosemary to the film studio? Why does he make sure she does not see him, only to phone her at the earliest opportunity? Is he confused? Is he inexperienced? Explain this time in Dick's life.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)