|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nicole behave at the site of the car accident?
2. What happens in spite of Beth's misgivings?
3. What city does Dick associate with the demise of his relationship with Rosemary?
4. What advice does Dick give to Nicole?
5. Who does Dick run into while in Naples?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tommy tell Nicole when they begin flirting with each other?
2. What is so surprising about Dick going to the aid of their friend, Mary North?
3. What is the state of Dick's alcoholism at this point?
4. What is the irony of the Divers intent to ask about other people's happiness?
5. What metaphor does Dick use to describe England?
6. What is the perception of homosexuality during this time?
7. What happens to Dick and Rosemary's relationship while in Naples?
8. What is the Diver family's situation after Dick sells his portion of the clinic?
9. How does Dick begin to fall out of love with Nicole?
10. How does money become a factor in Dick and Nicole's marriage and affect Dick's self esteem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Dick flirt with Rosemary and then toy with her emotions? Do you think Dick's ego is so fragile that he needs attention from anyone willing to oblige him? Even though Dick knows that he cannot indulge his instincts with Rosemary, he continues to play along. Why does Nicole tolerate this behavior from her husband? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the nature of Nicole's mental illness? Is it truly schizophrenia? Or has Nicole created her own safe world as a result of psychological damage done by her father's inappropriate behavior with her? What are Nicole's coping mechanisms?
Essay Topic 3
What is the nature of Nicole's breakdown in the bathroom of her hotel suite? Why does she shout at Dick for not giving her privacy in the only place she can be alone? Does this mean that all the rest of Nicole's life is an act? Or has she just reacted to Dick's indiscretions like any wife would? Explain.
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)