|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the next destination on Dick's trip?
2. Who does Nicole consider taking as a lover?
3. With whom does Dick spend his last days on the Riviera?
4. Who do Nicole and Beth see Dick talking to on the beach?
5. Dick returns to ______________ to live with his family.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dick behave counter to his feelings about Nicole?
2. How is Dick's marriage to Nicole compared to a patient's case?
3. How does Dick's profession get in the way of his marriage?
4. What is the tragic event that occurs while Dick is in Innsbruck?
5. How is Dick's self-esteem diminished in his work?
6. What is the state of the Divers' marriage by the end of Book 3, Chapter 11?
7. What is the state of Dick's alcoholism at this point?
8. What metaphor does Dick use to describe England?
9. What is the perception of homosexuality during this time?
10. Describe the situation in which Dick falls into deeper emotional debt to Nicole's family.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dick begins his psychology career with pure motives to help people by being good and wise. What does it mean when Dick wonders to himself, "God, am I like the rest after all?" Is Dick afraid that he is interested in financial gain as well? Does he witness the practices of his mentors and wish for the same level of financial success and easy life that they live? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the nature of Nicole's mental illness? Is it truly schizophrenia? Or has Nicole created her own safe world as a result of psychological damage done by her father's inappropriate behavior with her? What are Nicole's coping mechanisms?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the circumstances under which Dr. Dohmler takes on Nicole as a patient. Do you think Dr.Dohmler sincerely wants to help Nicole? Or does he see dollar signs when he realizes the extent of the treatment Nicole will need as a result of sexual abuse from her wealthy father? Explain.
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)