|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Dick receive via telegram?
2. What does Franz suggest for Dick?
3. What is the nature of the call?
4. Who accompanies Dick to a cabaret?
5. Where do Nicole and Tommy have dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dick's profession get in the way of his marriage?
2. What is so surprising about Dick going to the aid of their friend, Mary North?
3. How does Dick behave counter to his feelings about Nicole?
4. What metaphor does Dick use to describe England?
5. How does Dick begin to fall out of love with Nicole?
6. How does Nicole's family's wealth further complicate Dick's life?
7. What are Nicole's perceptions of Dick in Book 3, Chapter 7?
8. What is the tragic event that occurs while Dick is in Innsbruck?
9. What is the perception of homosexuality during this time?
10. What happens to make Dick deal with his feelings for Nicole?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of Nicole's sister, Beth, in the book? What does her character represent for Nicole? For Dick? Do you think Beth relishes her role or resents it? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
When Dick makes a conscious effort to engage in Rosemary's life, why does he consider it to be a turning point in his own? Why does he follow Rosemary to the film studio? Why does he make sure she does not see him, only to phone her at the earliest opportunity? Is he confused? Is he inexperienced? Explain this time in Dick's life.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Rosemary Hoyt's situation. Why is she so bored with most people? Has she grown up too fast? Why does she seek out situations that are beyond her years? Why does she think Dick could possibly be interested in her?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)