|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dick want to change hotels?
2. What does Dr. Dohmler think about Dick's relationship with Nicole?
3. How many children do Dick and Nicole have?
4. What topic is Dick sharing with Elsie Speers?
5. Why does Nicole tell Dick that he couldn't fall in love with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the situation in which Dick falls into deeper emotional debt to Nicole's family.
2. What does Tommy tell Nicole when they begin flirting with each other?
3. How does Dick view his and Franz' differences as psychiatrists?
4. What metaphor does Dick use to describe England?
5. What happens to make Dick deal with his feelings for Nicole?
6. How does Dick's profession get in the way of his marriage?
7. What does Abe North's death represent for Dick?
8. What is the Diver family's situation after Dick sells his portion of the clinic?
9. How does Nicole manage to get the best of all the worlds she wants?
10. Why does Dick get upset at Beth's manipulations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what Fitzgerald meant by this statement: "She illustrated very simple principles, containing in herself her own doom, but illustrated them so accurately that there was grace in the procedure, and presently Rosemary would try to imitate it." About whom is Fitzgerald speaking? Why would Rosemary want to imitate what she sees from this person?
Essay Topic 2
How is it that the characters in the novel have so much time to play? Do they characterize any particular segment of society? Or are they enjoying post-war prosperity to its fullest? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Dick flirt with Rosemary and then toy with her emotions? Do you think Dick's ego is so fragile that he needs attention from anyone willing to oblige him? Even though Dick knows that he cannot indulge his instincts with Rosemary, he continues to play along. Why does Nicole tolerate this behavior from her husband? Explain.
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)