|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Dick and Nicole's children?
2. Why does Beth rouse Clay from his drunken sleep?
3. What explanation does Dick give to Nicole for how he sustained his injuries?
4. Dick observes that the English still feel suspicious of the Swiss because of ____________________________.
5. What is the condition of the answer to #149 which is exacerbated by drinking?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dick's profession get in the way of his marriage?
2. How does Nicole manage to get the best of all the worlds she wants?
3. How does money become a factor in Dick and Nicole's marriage and affect Dick's self esteem?
4. What happens to Dick at the end of the novel?
5. What does Abe North's death represent for Dick?
6. What metaphor does Dick use to describe England?
7. Explain the opinions that Franz and his wife have of the Divers.
8. What are Nicole's perceptions of Tommy in Book 3, Chapter 6?
9. What happens to Dick and Rosemary's relationship while in Naples?
10. What does Dick realize about his relationship with Nicole after being with Rosemary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dick begins his psychology career with pure motives to help people by being good and wise. What does it mean when Dick wonders to himself, "God, am I like the rest after all?" Is Dick afraid that he is interested in financial gain as well? Does he witness the practices of his mentors and wish for the same level of financial success and easy life that they live? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Dick is able to separate from Nicole on the advice of her doctors. Why do they think this is in Nicole's best interest even though she is in love with Dick? Why does Dick stand for this even though he is in love with Nicole? Why does it take the jealousy of seeing Nicole with another man to shake Dick out of his passive reverie? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Rosemary's life as a young actress. Why is she so world-weary at such a young age? How is it that she can size up Earl Brady's intentions so quickly? What does Rosemary mean when she says that her view of the Mediterranean had changed since she now knows there is a film studio there?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)