|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Nicole's sister?
2. Who does Dick run into while in Naples?
3. Who calls Dick in the middle of the night?
4. Who is Dick and Nicole's son?
5. Where do Dick and Nicole go with Tommy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dick view his and Franz' differences as psychiatrists?
2. What metaphor does Dick use to describe England?
3. What happens to Dick and Rosemary's relationship while in Naples?
4. How does Dick encounter Rosemary again?
5. What is the state of Dick's alcoholism at this point?
6. What is the symbolism of Dick's feelings for the Italians and French?
7. What are Nicole's perceptions of Dick in Book 3, Chapter 7?
8. How is Dick's marriage to Nicole compared to a patient's case?
9. What is the perception of homosexuality during this time?
10. What are Nicole's perceptions of Tommy in Book 3, Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Dick makes a conscious effort to engage in Rosemary's life, why does he consider it to be a turning point in his own? Why does he follow Rosemary to the film studio? Why does he make sure she does not see him, only to phone her at the earliest opportunity? Is he confused? Is he inexperienced? Explain this time in Dick's life.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Dick flirt with Rosemary and then toy with her emotions? Do you think Dick's ego is so fragile that he needs attention from anyone willing to oblige him? Even though Dick knows that he cannot indulge his instincts with Rosemary, he continues to play along. Why does Nicole tolerate this behavior from her husband? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of Collis Clay in the novel? Why does he seem to follow Rosemary around even though she is not interested in him? Does Collis represent a naivete which Rosemary has lost? Explain.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)