|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dick tell Rosemary when he goes to her hotel room?
2. What is Dick given for his pain?
3. Where does Dick work on his book?
4. How many children do Dick and Nicole have?
5. Who is Dick and Nicole's son?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the situation in which Dick falls into deeper emotional debt to Nicole's family.
2. What is the state of Dick's alcoholism at this point?
3. What happens to make Dick deal with his feelings for Nicole?
4. What is the tragic event that occurs while Dick is in Innsbruck?
5. What is the state of the Divers' marriage by the end of Book 3, Chapter 11?
6. How does Dick begin to fall out of love with Nicole?
7. What does Abe North's death represent for Dick?
8. What is the Diver family's situation after Dick sells his portion of the clinic?
9. How does Dick's profession get in the way of his marriage?
10. What metaphor does Dick use to describe England?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what Fitzgerald meant by this statement: "She illustrated very simple principles, containing in herself her own doom, but illustrated them so accurately that there was grace in the procedure, and presently Rosemary would try to imitate it." About whom is Fitzgerald speaking? Why would Rosemary want to imitate what she sees from this person?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the novel, Tommy tells Dick that he had treated Nicole more like a patient than a wife. Explain what Tommy means by this. Do you think Tommy is accurate in his appraisal of the situation? Do you think Dick and Nicole are aware of this dynamic? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Rosemary's mother tolerate, and even encourage, her daughter's advances toward Dick, an older married man? What does Rosemary's mother truly want for Rosemary? Are the ambitions for Rosemary alone or does Rosemary's mother intend to take her share of the rewards? Explain.
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)