|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens in spite of Beth's misgivings?
2. Where do Nicole and Tommy take a drive?
3. Where does Rosemary take Dick the next day?
4. Where does Dick tell Franz he is going?
5. What topic is Dick sharing with Elsie Speers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nicole's family's wealth further complicate Dick's life?
2. How does money become a factor in Dick and Nicole's marriage and affect Dick's self esteem?
3. How does Dick begin to fall out of love with Nicole?
4. Why does Dick get upset at Beth's manipulations?
5. How does Dick encounter Rosemary again?
6. How does Dick view his and Franz' differences as psychiatrists?
7. What is so surprising about Dick going to the aid of their friend, Mary North?
8. What is the state of Dick's alcoholism at this point?
9. What metaphor does Dick use to describe England?
10. How does Dick's profession get in the way of his marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the circumstances under which Dr. Dohmler takes on Nicole as a patient. Do you think Dr.Dohmler sincerely wants to help Nicole? Or does he see dollar signs when he realizes the extent of the treatment Nicole will need as a result of sexual abuse from her wealthy father? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the main setting for the novel as it opens. What other locations are prevalent in the book? Describe them. Explain their importance to the characters and the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of Dick and Nicole's children, Lanier and Topsy, in their lives. The children do not seem to have much significance in the story. Why? Why does Lanier respect his father in spite of his absences and bad habits? Why does Nicole invest so little of herself in her children? Explain.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)