|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sends a disturbing letter to Nicole?
2. What is the nature of the call?
3. Who visits Nicole when Dick goes to Provence?
4. What old acquaintance does Dick run into at a cafe?
5. What does Nicole sense about Dick's feelings for her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What metaphor does Dick use to describe England?
2. What is the Diver family's situation after Dick sells his portion of the clinic?
3. What is the perception of homosexuality during this time?
4. How does Nicole's family's wealth further complicate Dick's life?
5. What is the tragic event that occurs while Dick is in Innsbruck?
6. How does Dick view his and Franz' differences as psychiatrists?
7. What is the state of the Divers' marriage by the end of Book 3, Chapter 11?
8. How is Dick's self-esteem diminished in his work?
9. What is the state of Dick's alcoholism at this point?
10. What is the irony of the Divers intent to ask about other people's happiness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Dick makes a conscious effort to engage in Rosemary's life, why does he consider it to be a turning point in his own? Why does he follow Rosemary to the film studio? Why does he make sure she does not see him, only to phone her at the earliest opportunity? Is he confused? Is he inexperienced? Explain this time in Dick's life.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the circumstances under which Dr. Dohmler takes on Nicole as a patient. Do you think Dr.Dohmler sincerely wants to help Nicole? Or does he see dollar signs when he realizes the extent of the treatment Nicole will need as a result of sexual abuse from her wealthy father? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of Dick and Nicole's children, Lanier and Topsy, in their lives. The children do not seem to have much significance in the story. Why? Why does Lanier respect his father in spite of his absences and bad habits? Why does Nicole invest so little of herself in her children? Explain.
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)