|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dick actually go?
2. How does Nicole behave at the site of the car accident?
3. Where does Rosemary take Dick the next day?
4. Who does Dick fire at Villa Diana?
5. Nicole refers to herself as _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tommy tell Nicole when they begin flirting with each other?
2. How does Dick begin to fall out of love with Nicole?
3. How does money become a factor in Dick and Nicole's marriage and affect Dick's self esteem?
4. What is the symbolism of Dick's feelings for the Italians and French?
5. How does Nicole's family's wealth further complicate Dick's life?
6. What is the state of the Divers' marriage by the end of Book 3, Chapter 11?
7. What is the irony of the Divers intent to ask about other people's happiness?
8. What is the Diver family's situation after Dick sells his portion of the clinic?
9. How does Nicole manage to get the best of all the worlds she wants?
10. Explain the opinions that Franz and his wife have of the Divers.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of Nicole's sister, Beth, in the book? What does her character represent for Nicole? For Dick? Do you think Beth relishes her role or resents it? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the circumstances under which Dr. Dohmler takes on Nicole as a patient. Do you think Dr.Dohmler sincerely wants to help Nicole? Or does he see dollar signs when he realizes the extent of the treatment Nicole will need as a result of sexual abuse from her wealthy father? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Rosemary's mother tolerate, and even encourage, her daughter's advances toward Dick, an older married man? What does Rosemary's mother truly want for Rosemary? Are the ambitions for Rosemary alone or does Rosemary's mother intend to take her share of the rewards? Explain.
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)