|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dick see on the boat ride back to Europe?
2. What agreement do Dick and Franz make?
3. What does Nicole sense about Dick's feelings for her?
4. What is the content of the letter?
5. Nicole refers to herself as _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tommy tell Nicole when they begin flirting with each other?
2. What does Dick realize about his relationship with Nicole after being with Rosemary?
3. How does money become a factor in Dick and Nicole's marriage and affect Dick's self esteem?
4. How is Dick's marriage to Nicole compared to a patient's case?
5. How is Dick's self-esteem diminished in his work?
6. What is the symbolism of Dick's feelings for the Italians and French?
7. What happens to Dick and Rosemary's relationship while in Naples?
8. What are Nicole's perceptions of Dick in Book 3, Chapter 7?
9. How does Dick view his and Franz' differences as psychiatrists?
10. How does Dick encounter Rosemary again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Rosemary Hoyt's situation. Why is she so bored with most people? Has she grown up too fast? Why does she seek out situations that are beyond her years? Why does she think Dick could possibly be interested in her?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the main setting for the novel as it opens. What other locations are prevalent in the book? Describe them. Explain their importance to the characters and the plot.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of Nicole's sister, Beth, in the book? What does her character represent for Nicole? For Dick? Do you think Beth relishes her role or resents it? Explain.
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)