|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nicole behave at the site of the car accident?
2. Who is with Nicole when Dick sees her in a cable car?
3. With whom does Dick spend his last days on the Riviera?
4. What does Tommy tell Nicole?
5. What does Nicole consider to be her security blanket?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is so surprising about Dick going to the aid of their friend, Mary North?
2. How does Dick's profession get in the way of his marriage?
3. Explain the opinions that Franz and his wife have of the Divers.
4. What does Tommy tell Nicole when they begin flirting with each other?
5. Describe the situation in which Dick falls into deeper emotional debt to Nicole's family.
6. How does Dick view his and Franz' differences as psychiatrists?
7. How does Dick behave counter to his feelings about Nicole?
8. What is the state of Dick's alcoholism at this point?
9. What is the Diver family's situation after Dick sells his portion of the clinic?
10. What is the state of the Divers' marriage by the end of Book 3, Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the circumstances under which Dr. Dohmler takes on Nicole as a patient. Do you think Dr.Dohmler sincerely wants to help Nicole? Or does he see dollar signs when he realizes the extent of the treatment Nicole will need as a result of sexual abuse from her wealthy father? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the main setting for the novel as it opens. What other locations are prevalent in the book? Describe them. Explain their importance to the characters and the plot.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of Nicole's sister, Beth, in the book? What does her character represent for Nicole? For Dick? Do you think Beth relishes her role or resents it? Explain.
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)