|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dick next see Rosemary?
2. Dick returns to ______________ to live with his family.
3. Where does Rosemary take Dick the next day?
4. Over what incident do the Divers offend their hostess, Mary North, and leave her home on bad terms?
5. Who is Nicole's sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dick begin to fall out of love with Nicole?
2. What is the state of the Divers' marriage by the end of Book 3, Chapter 11?
3. Explain the opinions that Franz and his wife have of the Divers.
4. How does Nicole's family's wealth further complicate Dick's life?
5. How is Dick's marriage to Nicole compared to a patient's case?
6. What is the tragic event that occurs while Dick is in Innsbruck?
7. How does Dick encounter Rosemary again?
8. What does Abe North's death represent for Dick?
9. What happens to Dick and Rosemary's relationship while in Naples?
10. What does Dick realize about his relationship with Nicole after being with Rosemary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the nature of Nicole's mental illness? Is it truly schizophrenia? Or has Nicole created her own safe world as a result of psychological damage done by her father's inappropriate behavior with her? What are Nicole's coping mechanisms?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the main setting for the novel as it opens. What other locations are prevalent in the book? Describe them. Explain their importance to the characters and the plot.
Essay Topic 3
How is it that the characters in the novel have so much time to play? Do they characterize any particular segment of society? Or are they enjoying post-war prosperity to its fullest? Explain.
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)