|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is with Nicole when Dick sees her in a cable car?
2. Where is Dick going now?
3. What does Dick find in his hotel room the next day?
4. Who accompanies Dick to a cabaret?
5. Who are Dick and Nicole's children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dick realize about his relationship with Nicole after being with Rosemary?
2. Why does Dick get upset at Beth's manipulations?
3. How does Dick behave counter to his feelings about Nicole?
4. What does Tommy tell Nicole when they begin flirting with each other?
5. How does Dick view his and Franz' differences as psychiatrists?
6. What does Abe North's death represent for Dick?
7. Explain the opinions that Franz and his wife have of the Divers.
8. What is the state of Dick's alcoholism at this point?
9. What is so surprising about Dick going to the aid of their friend, Mary North?
10. How does Dick's profession get in the way of his marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is it that the characters in the novel have so much time to play? Do they characterize any particular segment of society? Or are they enjoying post-war prosperity to its fullest? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Dick calls the love between him and Nicole an "active" love. What does he mean by that? What does he hope Rosemary will understand by the description? What is so complicated about the love between Dick and Nicole? Is it different from the love between most married couples? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the nature of Nicole's mental illness? Is it truly schizophrenia? Or has Nicole created her own safe world as a result of psychological damage done by her father's inappropriate behavior with her? What are Nicole's coping mechanisms?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)