|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Nicole when she is in Dr. Dohmler's clinic?
2. What is the name of Rosemary's mother?
3. What does Rosemary discover when she returns to her room?
4. What does Dick consider to be his experience level with women?
5. Abe tells Nicole that he was tired of _______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the effects of Dick's habit of giving compliments to Rosemary?
2. What lesson does Rosemary learn when Dick again rebuffs her advances?
3. How can Rosemary tell that the Divers and their friends are wealthy?
4. How does Rosemary continue to compare herself to Nicole?
5. What do Rosemary's thoughts reveal about how she was raised by her mother?
6. How can you tell that Dick's mind is addled by Rosemary?
7. How does Rosemary perceive the Divers during dinner?
8. What can be determined about Rosemary's personality from her demeanor at the beach?
9. What is the nature of Nicole's mental illness which is mistakenly identified as schizophrenia?
10. What does Fitzgerald mean when he says this about Dick: "he opened the gate to his amusing world. So long as they subscribed to it completely, their happiness was his preoccupation, but at the first flicker of doubt as to its all-inclusiveness he evaporated before their eyes, leaving little communicable memory of what he had said or done."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Rosemary Hoyt's situation. Why is she so bored with most people? Has she grown up too fast? Why does she seek out situations that are beyond her years? Why does she think Dick could possibly be interested in her?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Dick flirt with Rosemary and then toy with her emotions? Do you think Dick's ego is so fragile that he needs attention from anyone willing to oblige him? Even though Dick knows that he cannot indulge his instincts with Rosemary, he continues to play along. Why does Nicole tolerate this behavior from her husband? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the circumstances under which Dr. Dohmler takes on Nicole as a patient. Do you think Dr.Dohmler sincerely wants to help Nicole? Or does he see dollar signs when he realizes the extent of the treatment Nicole will need as a result of sexual abuse from her wealthy father? Explain.
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)