|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dick's special quality?
2. Who accompanies Nicole when she meets with Dick?
3. On what had Rosemary's mother spent everything her husbands had left her?
4. What does Dick realize after talking to Clay Collis about Rosemary?
5. What does Abe say is the best thing to have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Abe's drinking allow him to insult Nicole at the train station?
2. How can Rosemary tell that the Divers and their friends are wealthy?
3. How does Rosemary perceive the Divers during dinner?
4. Describe the burgeoning romance between Dick and Nicole.
5. How is Dick able to ascertain that Nicole is upset about his continuing attention toward Rosemary?
6. What can be determined about Rosemary's personality from her demeanor at the beach?
7. How does the duel turn into an entertainment event?
8. Why does Rosemary's view of the Mediterranean change after she meets with film director Earl Brady?
9. What psychological protective mechanisms are put in place for Nicole?
10. What differences does Rosemary note in her spending habits and Nicole's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Rosemary's life as a young actress. Why is she so world-weary at such a young age? How is it that she can size up Earl Brady's intentions so quickly? What does Rosemary mean when she says that her view of the Mediterranean had changed since she now knows there is a film studio there?
Essay Topic 2
Explain what Fitzgerald meant by this statement: "She illustrated very simple principles, containing in herself her own doom, but illustrated them so accurately that there was grace in the procedure, and presently Rosemary would try to imitate it." About whom is Fitzgerald speaking? Why would Rosemary want to imitate what she sees from this person?
Essay Topic 3
Nicole seems to have a vapid life of parties and shopping. Describe a week in Nicole's life. Do you think this aimless existence helps or hinders her fragile mental state? Explain.
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)