Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who approaches Abe to see if he will speak to Jules Peterson?
2. Who does Abe ask for help for Jules?
3. Where does the group go after lunch?
4. Who are the first guests to arrive at Dick's party?
5. Who is the police sergeant looking for when he comes to Nicole's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Abe North's death represent for Dick?
2. What is the nature of Nicole's mental illness which is mistakenly identified as schizophrenia?
3. What is so surprising about Dick going to the aid of their friend, Mary North?
4. What do Rosemary's thoughts reveal about how she was raised by her mother?
5. Why does Dick get upset at Beth's manipulations?
6. Explain the discrimination incident in Chapter 23.
7. Describe the setting for the opening of the novel.
8. What does Dick reveal about his relationship with Nicole to Dr. Franz Gregorovius?
9. How does the duel turn into an entertainment event?
10. What are Nicole's perceptions of Dick in Book 3, Chapter 7?
Essay Topic 1
Explain Rosemary Hoyt's situation. Why is she so bored with most people? Has she grown up too fast? Why does she seek out situations that are beyond her years? Why does she think Dick could possibly be interested in her?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Rosemary's mother tolerate, and even encourage, her daughter's advances toward Dick, an older married man? What does Rosemary's mother truly want for Rosemary? Are the ambitions for Rosemary alone or does Rosemary's mother intend to take her share of the rewards? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Nicole seems to have a vapid life of parties and shopping. Describe a week in Nicole's life. Do you think this aimless existence helps or hinders her fragile mental state? Explain.
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)