|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What chills Dick about Rosemary's kiss?
2. What does Dick realize after talking to Clay Collis about Rosemary?
3. What does Nicole sew for Dick?
4. What does Dick do without Nicole's consent?
5. Who does Rosemary think is one of the most beautiful people she has ever seen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rosemary equate Nicole to her mother?
2. What is Rosemary's response when Dick will not comply with her request to make love?
3. How is Dick able to ascertain that Nicole is upset about his continuing attention toward Rosemary?
4. What lesson does Rosemary learn when Dick again rebuffs her advances?
5. What does Dick reveal about his relationship with Nicole to Dr. Franz Gregorovius?
6. What does Fitzgerald mean when he says this about Dick: "he opened the gate to his amusing world. So long as they subscribed to it completely, their happiness was his preoccupation, but at the first flicker of doubt as to its all-inclusiveness he evaporated before their eyes, leaving little communicable memory of what he had said or done."
7. How does Abe's drinking allow him to insult Nicole at the train station?
8. What are Mr. McKisco's concerns after he agrees to a duel with Tommy Barban?
9. What can be determined about Rosemary's personality from her demeanor at the beach?
10. Describe the situation where Dick comforts the American girl looking for her brother's grave.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the nature of Nicole's mental illness? Is it truly schizophrenia? Or has Nicole created her own safe world as a result of psychological damage done by her father's inappropriate behavior with her? What are Nicole's coping mechanisms?
Essay Topic 2
Dick is able to separate from Nicole on the advice of her doctors. Why do they think this is in Nicole's best interest even though she is in love with Dick? Why does Dick stand for this even though he is in love with Nicole? Why does it take the jealousy of seeing Nicole with another man to shake Dick out of his passive reverie? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Dick flirt with Rosemary and then toy with her emotions? Do you think Dick's ego is so fragile that he needs attention from anyone willing to oblige him? Even though Dick knows that he cannot indulge his instincts with Rosemary, he continues to play along. Why does Nicole tolerate this behavior from her husband? Explain.
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)