Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who approaches Abe to see if he will speak to Jules Peterson?
2. Who does Abe ask for help for Jules?
3. Where does the group go after lunch?
4. Who are the first guests to arrive at Dick's party?
5. Who is the police sergeant looking for when he comes to Nicole's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Abe North's death represent for Dick?
2. What is the nature of Nicole's mental illness which is mistakenly identified as schizophrenia?
3. What is so surprising about Dick going to the aid of their friend, Mary North?
4. What do Rosemary's thoughts reveal about how she was raised by her mother?
5. Why does Dick get upset at Beth's manipulations?
6. Explain the discrimination incident in Chapter 23.
7. Describe the setting for the opening of the novel.
8. What does Dick reveal about his relationship with Nicole to Dr. Franz Gregorovius?
9. How does the duel turn into an entertainment event?
10. What are Nicole's perceptions of Dick in Book 3, Chapter 7?
Explain the role of Dick and Nicole's children, Lanier and Topsy, in their lives. The children do not seem to have much significance in the story. Why? Why does Lanier respect his father in spite of his absences and bad habits? Why does Nicole invest so little of herself in her children? Explain.
At the end of the novel, Tommy tells Dick that he had treated Nicole more like a patient than a wife. Explain what Tommy means by this. Do you think Tommy is accurate in his appraisal of the situation? Do you think Dick and Nicole are aware of this dynamic? Why or why not?
Why does Dick flirt with Rosemary and then toy with her emotions? Do you think Dick's ego is so fragile that he needs attention from anyone willing to oblige him? Even though Dick knows that he cannot indulge his instincts with Rosemary, he continues to play along. Why does Nicole tolerate this behavior from her husband? Explain.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)