|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Rosemary and Nicole do together that afternoon?
2. Everyone agrees that at 18, ____________________.
3. What does Rosemary do at the Newfoundland memorial?
4. What does Abe say is the best thing to have?
5. Who does Rosemary promise to stay with at the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the situation where Dick comforts the American girl looking for her brother's grave.
2. What are Mr. McKisco's concerns after he agrees to a duel with Tommy Barban?
3. Explain Mrs. Elsie Speers' devotion to her daughter, Rosemary.
4. What does Dick reveal about his relationship with Nicole to Dr. Franz Gregorovius?
5. Why does Rosemary's view of the Mediterranean change after she meets with film director Earl Brady?
6. Why does Rosemary not have fun at the party after she analyzes the evening?
7. Explain the discrimination incident in Chapter 23.
8. Describe the burgeoning romance between Dick and Nicole.
9. What lesson does Rosemary learn when Dick again rebuffs her advances?
10. How is Dick able to ascertain that Nicole is upset about his continuing attention toward Rosemary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nicole seems to have a vapid life of parties and shopping. Describe a week in Nicole's life. Do you think this aimless existence helps or hinders her fragile mental state? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the nature of Nicole's mental illness? Is it truly schizophrenia? Or has Nicole created her own safe world as a result of psychological damage done by her father's inappropriate behavior with her? What are Nicole's coping mechanisms?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of Nicole's sister, Beth, in the book? What does her character represent for Nicole? For Dick? Do you think Beth relishes her role or resents it? Explain.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)