|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rosemary think her wild party wasn't fun?
2. Where does Dick go after lunch with Clay?
3. What do Dick and Nicole plan for this evening?
4. What transpires between Dick and the answer to #80?
5. What is Dick's professional goal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Rosemary's thoughts reveal about how she was raised by her mother?
2. How does Abe's drinking allow him to insult Nicole at the train station?
3. Why does Rosemary feel jealous for the first time in her life?
4. How does Dick realize that Nicole is mentally unstable?
5. What does Dick reveal about his relationship with Nicole to Dr. Franz Gregorovius?
6. How does the duel turn into an entertainment event?
7. Why does Rosemary not have fun at the party after she analyzes the evening?
8. Describe the situation where Dick comforts the American girl looking for her brother's grave.
9. What is the symbolism of the sun coming out when Dick kisses Rosemary?
10. What lesson does Rosemary learn when Dick again rebuffs her advances?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of Nicole's sister, Beth, in the book? What does her character represent for Nicole? For Dick? Do you think Beth relishes her role or resents it? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Rosemary's life as a young actress. Why is she so world-weary at such a young age? How is it that she can size up Earl Brady's intentions so quickly? What does Rosemary mean when she says that her view of the Mediterranean had changed since she now knows there is a film studio there?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Rosemary Hoyt's situation. Why is she so bored with most people? Has she grown up too fast? Why does she seek out situations that are beyond her years? Why does she think Dick could possibly be interested in her?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)