Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who approaches Abe to see if he will speak to Jules Peterson?
2. Who does Abe ask for help for Jules?
3. Where does the group go after lunch?
4. Who are the first guests to arrive at Dick's party?
5. Who is the police sergeant looking for when he comes to Nicole's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Abe North's death represent for Dick?
2. What is the nature of Nicole's mental illness which is mistakenly identified as schizophrenia?
3. What is so surprising about Dick going to the aid of their friend, Mary North?
4. What do Rosemary's thoughts reveal about how she was raised by her mother?
5. Why does Dick get upset at Beth's manipulations?
6. Explain the discrimination incident in Chapter 23.
7. Describe the setting for the opening of the novel.
8. What does Dick reveal about his relationship with Nicole to Dr. Franz Gregorovius?
9. How does the duel turn into an entertainment event?
10. What are Nicole's perceptions of Dick in Book 3, Chapter 7?
At the end of the novel, Tommy tells Dick that he had treated Nicole more like a patient than a wife. Explain what Tommy means by this. Do you think Tommy is accurate in his appraisal of the situation? Do you think Dick and Nicole are aware of this dynamic? Why or why not?
Dick is able to separate from Nicole on the advice of her doctors. Why do they think this is in Nicole's best interest even though she is in love with Dick? Why does Dick stand for this even though he is in love with Nicole? Why does it take the jealousy of seeing Nicole with another man to shake Dick out of his passive reverie? Explain.
Explain the nature of Nicole's mental illness? Is it truly schizophrenia? Or has Nicole created her own safe world as a result of psychological damage done by her father's inappropriate behavior with her? What are Nicole's coping mechanisms?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)