|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rosemary think of back at her hotel?
2. What place reminds Rosemary of Hollywood?
3. What jewelry does Nicole Driver always wear?
4. At what age had Dick arrived in Zurich?
5. Why does Abe ask if Jules is allowed in the bar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rosemary's view of the Mediterranean change after she meets with film director Earl Brady?
2. How is Dick able to ascertain that Nicole is upset about his continuing attention toward Rosemary?
3. How does Dick realize that Nicole is mentally unstable?
4. How does Abe's drinking allow him to insult Nicole at the train station?
5. What psychological protective mechanisms are put in place for Nicole?
6. How does Rosemary perceive the Divers during dinner?
7. What can be determined about Rosemary's personality from her demeanor at the beach?
8. What is Rosemary's response when Dick will not comply with her request to make love?
9. What is the symbolism of the sun coming out when Dick kisses Rosemary?
10. What does Dick reveal about his relationship with Nicole to Dr. Franz Gregorovius?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Rosemary Hoyt's situation. Why is she so bored with most people? Has she grown up too fast? Why does she seek out situations that are beyond her years? Why does she think Dick could possibly be interested in her?
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Dick and Nicole constantly host lunches and parties. Why do they always need other people around? What happens to them in the end when they have to face each other without the benefit of a party? Why are they truly afraid of each other? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the circumstances under which Dr. Dohmler takes on Nicole as a patient. Do you think Dr.Dohmler sincerely wants to help Nicole? Or does he see dollar signs when he realizes the extent of the treatment Nicole will need as a result of sexual abuse from her wealthy father? Explain.
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)