|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nicole sew for Dick?
2. What is Dick's special quality?
3. What does Abe spend the day doing?
4. What does Dick do without Nicole's consent?
5. What jewelry does Nicole Driver always wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rosemary continue to compare herself to Nicole?
2. What does Fitzgerald mean when he says this about Dick: "he opened the gate to his amusing world. So long as they subscribed to it completely, their happiness was his preoccupation, but at the first flicker of doubt as to its all-inclusiveness he evaporated before their eyes, leaving little communicable memory of what he had said or done."
3. What are the effects of Dick's habit of giving compliments to Rosemary?
4. What psychological protective mechanisms are put in place for Nicole?
5. How does Rosemary equate Nicole to her mother?
6. What is the symbolism of the sun coming out when Dick kisses Rosemary?
7. What lesson does Rosemary learn when Dick again rebuffs her advances?
8. Why does Rosemary's view of the Mediterranean change after she meets with film director Earl Brady?
9. What do Rosemary's thoughts reveal about how she was raised by her mother?
10. Explain the discrimination incident in Chapter 23.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Rosemary Hoyt's situation. Why is she so bored with most people? Has she grown up too fast? Why does she seek out situations that are beyond her years? Why does she think Dick could possibly be interested in her?
Essay Topic 2
How is it that the characters in the novel have so much time to play? Do they characterize any particular segment of society? Or are they enjoying post-war prosperity to its fullest? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of Dick and Nicole's children, Lanier and Topsy, in their lives. The children do not seem to have much significance in the story. Why? Why does Lanier respect his father in spite of his absences and bad habits? Why does Nicole invest so little of herself in her children? Explain.
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)