Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who approaches Abe to see if he will speak to Jules Peterson?
2. Who does Abe ask for help for Jules?
3. Where does the group go after lunch?
4. Who are the first guests to arrive at Dick's party?
5. Who is the police sergeant looking for when he comes to Nicole's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Abe North's death represent for Dick?
2. What is the nature of Nicole's mental illness which is mistakenly identified as schizophrenia?
3. What is so surprising about Dick going to the aid of their friend, Mary North?
4. What do Rosemary's thoughts reveal about how she was raised by her mother?
5. Why does Dick get upset at Beth's manipulations?
6. Explain the discrimination incident in Chapter 23.
7. Describe the setting for the opening of the novel.
8. What does Dick reveal about his relationship with Nicole to Dr. Franz Gregorovius?
9. How does the duel turn into an entertainment event?
10. What are Nicole's perceptions of Dick in Book 3, Chapter 7?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of Dick and Nicole's children, Lanier and Topsy, in their lives. The children do not seem to have much significance in the story. Why? Why does Lanier respect his father in spite of his absences and bad habits? Why does Nicole invest so little of herself in her children? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Dick begins his psychology career with pure motives to help people by being good and wise. What does it mean when Dick wonders to himself, "God, am I like the rest after all?" Is Dick afraid that he is interested in financial gain as well? Does he witness the practices of his mentors and wish for the same level of financial success and easy life that they live? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of Collis Clay in the novel? Why does he seem to follow Rosemary around even though she is not interested in him? Does Collis represent a naivete which Rosemary has lost? Explain.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)