|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children do Dick and Nicole have?
2. With whom does Dick spend his last days on the Riviera?
(d) His children
3. Who visits Nicole when Dick goes to Provence?
4. Why does Dick tell Nicole he had taken the trip?
(a) He went on a job interview.
(b) He wanted to find out if Rosemary had anything to offer.
(c) He just needed some time to himself.
(d) He wanted to talk to a friend about his marriage.
5. What advice does Dick give to Nicole?
(a) Stay at the institution for another year.
(b) Stop wearing such dramatic clothing.
(c) Go back to America, fall in love and have a family.
(d) Get a second opinion from another psychologist.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Nicole and Tommy take a drive?
2. Where does Dick actually go?
3. What makes Dick feel trapped in his marriage?
4. Over what incident do the Divers offend their hostess, Mary North, and leave her home on bad terms?
5. Why has Dick taken this trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dick realize about his relationship with Nicole after being with Rosemary?
2. What happens to Dick at the end of the novel?
3. How does Nicole's family's wealth further complicate Dick's life?
4. What is the tragic event that occurs while Dick is in Innsbruck?
5. What happens to make Dick deal with his feelings for Nicole?
6. What is the Diver family's situation after Dick sells his portion of the clinic?
7. What is the state of the Divers' marriage by the end of Book 3, Chapter 11?
8. What does Abe North's death represent for Dick?
9. How is Dick's marriage to Nicole compared to a patient's case?
10. What is the irony of the Divers intent to ask about other people's happiness?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)