|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What old acquaintance does Dick run into at a cafe?
(a) Tommy Barban
(b) Earl Brady
(c) Mr. Warren
(d) Abe North
2. How does Nicole behave at the site of the car accident?
(a) She runs away.
(b) She breaks down in sobs.
(c) She laughs hysterically.
(d) She calls for an ambulance.
3. Where does Nicole's sister think that Nicole should live?
(b) New York
4. Where does Dick actually go?
5. What does Nicole say she learned a lot about in the institution?
(a) Flowers and poetry
(b) Language and music
(c) Behaviors and motivations
(d) Discipline and regulations
Short Answer Questions
1. What treatment does Dick not approve of for patients?
2. What does Elsie share with Dick?
3. What does Nicole consider to be her security blanket?
4. What city does Dick associate with the demise of his relationship with Rosemary?
5. Into what arrangement does Dick enter with Franz?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dick's profession get in the way of his marriage?
2. How does Nicole's family's wealth further complicate Dick's life?
3. What are Nicole's perceptions of Dick in Book 3, Chapter 7?
4. What does Tommy tell Nicole when they begin flirting with each other?
5. What is the irony of the Divers intent to ask about other people's happiness?
6. What is the state of the Divers' marriage by the end of Book 3, Chapter 11?
7. What metaphor does Dick use to describe England?
8. What does Abe North's death represent for Dick?
9. What is the Diver family's situation after Dick sells his portion of the clinic?
10. How does money become a factor in Dick and Nicole's marriage and affect Dick's self esteem?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)