|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Nicole tell Dick that he couldn't fall in love with her?
(a) He is too old for her.
(b) He never gave her a chance.
(c) She is going back to America.
(d) She is in love with Mamora.
2. What do both Dick and Nicole realize now?
(a) They never really loved each other.
(b) They want to separate for awhile.
(c) They want to rekindle their love.
(d) Their marriage is truly over.
3. Who sends a disturbing letter to Nicole?
(a) The mother of one of Dick's patients
(b) Lanier's teacher
(c) Nicole's sister
(d) Nicole's father
4. What does Nicole consider to be her security blanket?
(a) Her children
(b) Her sister
(c) Dick's love
(d) Her money
5. Where does Dick next see Rosemary?
Short Answer Questions
1. Tommy tells Dick that _______________ has been beaten to death at a speakeasy.
2. What is the content of the letter?
3. Where does Beth go to get some help for the jailed Dick?
4. Tommy tells Dick that he always treats Nicole ______________________________.
5. Why does Dick tell Nicole he had taken the trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to make Dick deal with his feelings for Nicole?
2. What does Dick realize about his relationship with Nicole after being with Rosemary?
3. What is the irony of the Divers intent to ask about other people's happiness?
4. How does money become a factor in Dick and Nicole's marriage and affect Dick's self esteem?
5. What is the symbolism of Dick's feelings for the Italians and French?
6. Explain the opinions that Franz and his wife have of the Divers.
7. What does Abe North's death represent for Dick?
8. How does Nicole manage to get the best of all the worlds she wants?
9. How does Nicole's family's wealth further complicate Dick's life?
10. How does Dick behave counter to his feelings about Nicole?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)