|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Dick see on the boat ride back to Europe?
(a) Abe North
(b) Albert and Violet McKisco
(c) Rosemary Hoyt
(d) Luis Campion
2. Over what incident do the Divers offend their hostess, Mary North, and leave her home on bad terms?
(a) A fish fork
(b) A candlestick
(c) A finger bowl
(d) A bath
3. What advice does Dick give to Nicole?
(a) Stop wearing such dramatic clothing.
(b) Go back to America, fall in love and have a family.
(c) Stay at the institution for another year.
(d) Get a second opinion from another psychologist.
4. Why does Nicole tell Dick that he couldn't fall in love with her?
(a) She is in love with Mamora.
(b) He is too old for her.
(c) He never gave her a chance.
(d) She is going back to America.
5. Where do Dick and Nicole go for dinner?
(a) Saint Tropez
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nicole behave at the site of the car accident?
2. Whose money funded the clinic operated by Franz and Dick?
3. What topic is Dick sharing with Elsie Speers?
4. What does Franz suggest for Dick?
5. Why does Dick help in this situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Nicole's perceptions of Dick in Book 3, Chapter 7?
2. How does money become a factor in Dick and Nicole's marriage and affect Dick's self esteem?
3. How is Dick's self-esteem diminished in his work?
4. Describe the situation in which Dick falls into deeper emotional debt to Nicole's family.
5. What happens to Dick at the end of the novel?
6. What is the symbolism of Dick's feelings for the Italians and French?
7. What does Abe North's death represent for Dick?
8. What are Nicole's perceptions of Tommy in Book 3, Chapter 6?
9. What is the Diver family's situation after Dick sells his portion of the clinic?
10. What happens to Dick and Rosemary's relationship while in Naples?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)