|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Dick's father's church?
2. What does Beth ask Dick about a property of her mother's?
(a) If he wants to buy the property
(b) How to invest Nicole's share of the money
(c) If he knows a good realtor
(d) If he and Nicole would like to live there
3. Where does Beth go to get some help for the jailed Dick?
(a) Her lawyer
(b) The mayor
(c) The police station
(d) American Embassy
4. Into what arrangement does Dick enter with Franz?
(a) To invest in a golf course
(b) To provide free care to Nicole
(c) To buy Beth's mother's house
(d) To open a clinic together
5. What does Franz' wife say is the only reason Dick married Nicole?
(a) For her money
(b) For her family name
(c) To rescue her
(d) To control her
Short Answer Questions
1. Dick observes that the English still feel suspicious of the Swiss because of ____________________________.
2. What is Dick given for his pain?
3. Who is Franz' wife?
4. What is the next destination on Dick's trip?
5. Where is Dick going now?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nicole's family's wealth further complicate Dick's life?
2. What does Abe North's death represent for Dick?
3. What is so surprising about Dick going to the aid of their friend, Mary North?
4. What is the state of the Divers' marriage by the end of Book 3, Chapter 11?
5. What are Nicole's perceptions of Dick in Book 3, Chapter 7?
6. What is the symbolism of Dick's feelings for the Italians and French?
7. What is the tragic event that occurs while Dick is in Innsbruck?
8. What is the irony of the Divers intent to ask about other people's happiness?
9. What does Tommy tell Nicole when they begin flirting with each other?
10. Describe the situation in which Dick falls into deeper emotional debt to Nicole's family.
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)