|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a trait Estelle's son identifies as a negative aspect of being an Indian?
2. What is Estelle's real name in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above"?
3. Why is the regalia Jackson spots in the pawnshop window no longer in the possession of its rightful owner?
4. How many children do David and Sharon have?
5. What does Jackson try to sell to earn money to redeem the pow-wow regalia from the pawnshop?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how "What You Pawn I Will Redeem" illustrates the concept of tribalism. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast any three of the following male characters from the short stories in Ten Little Indians: Harlan Atwater, Richard, the unnamed man in "Can I Get a Witness," the father in "Do Not Go Gentle," William, David, Jackson and Frank Snake Church. Include a discussion of how they are each assimilated into mainstream American culture and how they are affected by Native American culture. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Parenting is a theme in many of the stories in Ten Little Indians. Compare and contrast the parents in "Do Not Go Gentle" with Estelle in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and Corliss's parents in "The Search Engine." How does each set of parents deal with the blending of Native American culture and mainstream American culture in the raising of their children? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,308 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)