|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does William wear his hair?
2. What does Jackson buy with twenty of his last twenty-five dollars?
3. Which of the following is not a trait Estelle's son identifies as a negative aspect of being an Indian?
4. What did the taxi driver in "Flight Patterns" do for a living in his birth country?
5. Who is Estelle's son engaged to when he meets the woman he eventually marries?
Short Essay Questions
1. What factors do you think contribute to and help perpetuate Jackson's homelessness in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem"?
2. What is Jackson's relationship with Kay?
3. Regarding "Flight Patterns," discuss William's familiarity with Donna Fargo and Patsy Cline and what it indicates.
4. Why can't Fekadu return to Ethiopia?
5. Why do you think Estelle fails to help the bleeding woman in the final scene of the story and how does this failure affect her relationship with her son?
6. Why does Estelle's son say he doesn't know what an Indian is supposed to be?
7. Why do you think Jackson is so eager to redeem his grandmother's powwow regalia?
8. Why does Estelle Walks Above change her name?
9. What is William's relationship with his wife in "Flight Patterns"?
10. What is Real Change and how is it involved in Jackson's quest for his grandmother's regalia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Death is a theme or plot element in numerous stories in Sherman Alexie's Ten Little Indians. Compare and contrast the handling of the subject of death and grief in any three stories from the collection. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Grief and depression are themes in "Can I Get a Witness," "Do Not Go Gentle," and "What Ever Happened to Frank Snake Church?" Discuss how these themes are handled in each story and how each character copes with emotional pain. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the humor in "Can I Get a Witness?", "Do Not Go Gentle," "What Ever Happened to Frank Snake Church?", or "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above." Give at least three examples of humor from your chosen story and discuss what you think Sherman Alexie is trying to convey or achieve through his use of humor.
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)