|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many questions does Sharon tell David he can ask about what she confesses to him?
2. Which of the following is not a trait Estelle's son identifies as a negative aspect of being an Indian?
3. Whose music is William listening to at the beginning of "Flight Patterns"?
4. What does Sharon confess to David one night in "Do You Know Where I Am?"
5. How much money does Jackson initially have for redeeming the pow-wow regalia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jackson's relationship with Officer Williams in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem."
2. Why can't Fekadu return to Ethiopia?
3. What are the similarities between Fekadu and William in "Flight Patterns"?
4. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what is David's family background and is it the stereotypical background for an Indian?
5. How are white people depicted in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and how does this depiction compare to Estelle's opinion of white people?
6. With their education and prosperity, David and Sharon are well assimilated into mainstream American culture. Does "Do You Know Where I Am?" contain examples of the effects of Native American culture in their lives?
7. What factors do you think contribute to and help perpetuate Jackson's homelessness in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem"?
8. What does Estelle decide to do the summer her son turns thirteen, and how does her decision affect her son?
9. What is Real Change and how is it involved in Jackson's quest for his grandmother's regalia?
10. Why does Estelle's son say he doesn't know what an Indian is supposed to be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ceremony is an important aspect of Native American spirituality. Discuss the role of ceremony in "Do Not Go Gentle," "What You Pawn I Will Redeem," and "Whatever Happened to Frank Snake Church?" Give examples of ceremony in each story and discuss its influence on the characters and theme. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the post-September 11th worlds of "Can I Get a Witness?" and "Flight Patterns." What is Alexie saying about September 11th and its effect on American lives in these stories? What is Alexie saying about September 11th and its effect on Native American lives in these stories? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how "What You Pawn I Will Redeem" illustrates the concept of tribalism. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,252 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)