|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do both Estelle and her son do for a living?
2. Why is the regalia Jackson spots in the pawnshop window no longer in the possession of its rightful owner?
3. What does Estelle do after she spots the woman in the white dress?
4. Whose pow-wow dance regalia does Jackson think he spots in a pawnshop window?
5. Which of the following is not a trait Estelle's son identifies as a negative aspect of being an Indian?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the post-September 11th worlds of "Can I Get a Witness?" and "Flight Patterns." What is Alexie saying about September 11th and its effect on American lives in these stories? What is Alexie saying about September 11th and its effect on Native American lives in these stories? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
"The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" contains many numbered lists, notices of historical revision, and questions and answers marked Q and A. What do you think this unusual method of structure indicates about the character of the male narrator and what do you think Sherman Alexie is trying to convey in this unique format? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast three of the following African American characters from Ten Little Indians: William from "Lawyer's League," Fekadu from "Flight Patterns," and Preacher, Russell, or the point guard from "What Ever Happened to Frank Snake Church?" Do the African-American characters treat the Native American characters differently than white characters do? Do the Native American characters feel differently about the African-American characters than they do about the white characters? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,334 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)