|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do both Estelle and her son do for a living?
2. Why do David and Sharon each spend their college graduation day alone?
3. Which of the following is something William does?
4. How many questions does Sharon tell David he can ask about what she confesses to him?
5. What two things do David and Sharon have in common when they meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does "Flight Patterns" reflect that it takes place in a post-September 11th world?
2. What are the similarities between Fekadu and William in "Flight Patterns"?
3. How does the title of the story "Do You Know Where I Am?" relate to the story?
4. Regarding "Flight Patterns," discuss William's familiarity with Donna Fargo and Patsy Cline and what it indicates.
5. Describe Estelle's relationship with her son in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above."
6. How are white people depicted in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and how does this depiction compare to Estelle's opinion of white people?
7. What does Estelle decide to do the summer her son turns thirteen, and how does her decision affect her son?
8. Why do you think Estelle fails to help the bleeding woman in the final scene of the story and how does this failure affect her relationship with her son?
9. In what ways is the title "Flight Patterns" related to the story?
10. What factors do you think contribute to and help perpetuate Jackson's homelessness in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how "What You Pawn I Will Redeem" illustrates the concept of tribalism. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Parenting is a theme in many of the stories in Ten Little Indians. Compare and contrast the parents in "Do Not Go Gentle" with Estelle in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and Corliss's parents in "The Search Engine." How does each set of parents deal with the blending of Native American culture and mainstream American culture in the raising of their children? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the post-September 11th worlds of "Can I Get a Witness?" and "Flight Patterns." What is Alexie saying about September 11th and its effect on American lives in these stories? What is Alexie saying about September 11th and its effect on Native American lives in these stories? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,361 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)