|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marie want William to do instead of catch his plane?
2. What does the taxi driver say when passengers ask him if he's East Coast or West Coast?
3. Who is Estelle's son engaged to when he meets the woman he eventually marries?
4. What did the taxi driver in "Flight Patterns" do for a living in his birth country?
5. What feminist book does Estelle make her son read?
Essay Topic 1
Grief and depression are themes in "Can I Get a Witness," "Do Not Go Gentle," and "What Ever Happened to Frank Snake Church?" Discuss how these themes are handled in each story and how each character copes with emotional pain. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the three female characters from the short stories in Ten Little Indians: Corliss, the unnamed female protagonist in "Can I Get a Witness," Estelle, the mother in "Do Not Go Gentle" and Sharon. Include a discussion of how they are each assimilated into mainstream American culture and how they are affected by Native American culture and cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Ceremony is an important aspect of Native American spirituality. Discuss the role of ceremony in "Do Not Go Gentle," "What You Pawn I Will Redeem," and "Whatever Happened to Frank Snake Church?" Give examples of ceremony in each story and discuss its influence on the characters and theme. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments
This section contains 1,332 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)