|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Estelle's son like about Indian men?
2. What does Estelle's son say he sometimes feels like instead of her son?
3. From where is the taxi driver in "Flight Patterns"?
4. For what physical feature is Estelle's son known?
5. What kind of women are most of Estelle's friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are white people depicted in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and how does this depiction compare to Estelle's opinion of white people?
2. What is William's relationship with his wife in "Flight Patterns"?
3. Why does Jackson consider himself an "effective" homeless man?
4. With their education and prosperity, David and Sharon are well assimilated into mainstream American culture. Does "Do You Know Where I Am?" contain examples of the effects of Native American culture in their lives?
5. Why does Estelle's son say he doesn't know what an Indian is supposed to be?
6. In what ways is the title "Flight Patterns" related to the story?
7. What does Estelle decide to do the summer her son turns thirteen, and how does her decision affect her son?
8. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what is Sharon's family background and is it the stereotypical background for an Indian?
9. What is Real Change and how is it involved in Jackson's quest for his grandmother's regalia?
10. Regarding "Flight Patterns," discuss William's familiarity with Donna Fargo and Patsy Cline and what it indicates.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the following characters either defy or define stereotypes of Indian women: Estelle Walks Above, Corliss Joseph, and Rose of Sharon. Are their backgrounds and character traits typical or atypical of the stereotype of Indian women? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Parenting is a theme in many of the stories in Ten Little Indians. Compare and contrast the parents in "Do Not Go Gentle" with Estelle in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and Corliss's parents in "The Search Engine." How does each set of parents deal with the blending of Native American culture and mainstream American culture in the raising of their children? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Death is a theme or plot element in numerous stories in Sherman Alexie's Ten Little Indians. Compare and contrast the handling of the subject of death and grief in any three stories from the collection. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,218 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)