|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose music is William listening to at the beginning of "Flight Patterns"?
2. Once David and she find the cat, what does Sharon remember seeing in the newspaper the previous week?
3. What feminist book does Estelle make her son read?
4. For what does William in "Flight Patterns" always scan airports and airplanes?
5. What does Estelle's son say white people often think Indians are?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the title of the story "Do You Know Where I Am?" relate to the story?
2. How are white people depicted in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and how does this depiction compare to Estelle's opinion of white people?
3. Regarding "Flight Patterns," discuss William's familiarity with Donna Fargo and Patsy Cline and what it indicates.
4. Why can't Fekadu return to Ethiopia?
5. Describe Estelle's relationship with her son in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above."
6. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what is David's family background and is it the stereotypical background for an Indian?
7. Why do you think Jackson is so eager to redeem his grandmother's powwow regalia?
8. In what ways is the title "Flight Patterns" related to the story?
9. Why does Estelle's son say he doesn't know what an Indian is supposed to be?
10. Why does Estelle Walks Above change her name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the humor in "Can I Get a Witness?", "Do Not Go Gentle," "What Ever Happened to Frank Snake Church?", or "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above." Give at least three examples of humor from your chosen story and discuss what you think Sherman Alexie is trying to convey or achieve through his use of humor.
Essay Topic 2
Grief and depression are themes in "Can I Get a Witness," "Do Not Go Gentle," and "What Ever Happened to Frank Snake Church?" Discuss how these themes are handled in each story and how each character copes with emotional pain. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast three of the following African American characters from Ten Little Indians: William from "Lawyer's League," Fekadu from "Flight Patterns," and Preacher, Russell, or the point guard from "What Ever Happened to Frank Snake Church?" Do the African-American characters treat the Native American characters differently than white characters do? Do the Native American characters feel differently about the African-American characters than they do about the white characters? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)