|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where is the taxi driver in "Flight Patterns"?
2. For what does William in "Flight Patterns" always scan airports and airplanes?
3. How much money does Jackson win at the lottery?
4. What story does Sharon tell at every family gathering during her long marriage to David?
5. What does Jackson buy with his initial twenty-five dollars?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what is Sharon's family background and is it the stereotypical background for an Indian?
2. With their education and prosperity, David and Sharon are well assimilated into mainstream American culture. Does "Do You Know Where I Am?" contain examples of the effects of Native American culture in their lives?
3. Why do you think Estelle fails to help the bleeding woman in the final scene of the story and how does this failure affect her relationship with her son?
4. What is Real Change and how is it involved in Jackson's quest for his grandmother's regalia?
5. What factors do you think contribute to and help perpetuate Jackson's homelessness in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem"?
6. How are white people depicted in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and how does this depiction compare to Estelle's opinion of white people?
7. Describe Jackson's relationship with Officer Williams in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem."
8. Describe Estelle's relationship with her son in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above."
9. What is Jackson's relationship with Kay?
10. How does the title of the story "Do You Know Where I Am?" relate to the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Parenting is a theme in many of the stories in Ten Little Indians. Compare and contrast the parents in "Do Not Go Gentle" with Estelle in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and Corliss's parents in "The Search Engine." How does each set of parents deal with the blending of Native American culture and mainstream American culture in the raising of their children? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
"Lawyer's League," "Do Not Go Gentle," and "Do You Know Where I Am?" are written in the first-person point of view while the other stories in Ten Little Indians are written in the third-person point of view. Discuss why you think Sherman Alexie selected the first-person viewpoint for each of these three stories. Also discuss whether you think first-person is an effective viewpoint for these stories. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast three of the following African American characters from Ten Little Indians: William from "Lawyer's League," Fekadu from "Flight Patterns," and Preacher, Russell, or the point guard from "What Ever Happened to Frank Snake Church?" Do the African-American characters treat the Native American characters differently than white characters do? Do the Native American characters feel differently about the African-American characters than they do about the white characters? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,349 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)