|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the pawnshop owner give Jackson to come back with the money to redeem the regalia?
2. How much money does Jackson win at the lottery?
3. About what does William sometimes fantasize?
4. What does Sharon confess to David one night in "Do You Know Where I Am?"
5. How many questions does Sharon tell David he can ask about what she confesses to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Estelle Walks Above change her name?
2. What is Real Change and how is it involved in Jackson's quest for his grandmother's regalia?
3. How are white people depicted in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and how does this depiction compare to Estelle's opinion of white people?
4. What is William's relationship with his wife in "Flight Patterns"?
5. How does the title of the story "Do You Know Where I Am?" relate to the story?
6. What is Jackson's relationship with Kay?
7. In what ways is the title "Flight Patterns" related to the story?
8. Why can't Fekadu return to Ethiopia?
9. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what is David's family background and is it the stereotypical background for an Indian?
10. Why does Jackson consider himself an "effective" homeless man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the humor in "Can I Get a Witness?", "Do Not Go Gentle," "What Ever Happened to Frank Snake Church?", or "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above." Give at least three examples of humor from your chosen story and discuss what you think Sherman Alexie is trying to convey or achieve through his use of humor.
Essay Topic 2
Ceremony is an important aspect of Native American spirituality. Discuss the role of ceremony in "Do Not Go Gentle," "What You Pawn I Will Redeem," and "Whatever Happened to Frank Snake Church?" Give examples of ceremony in each story and discuss its influence on the characters and theme. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Sharon in "Do You Know Where I Am" ever truly forgives David for his lies about the lost cat? Why or why not? Cite at least three examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)