|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a trait Estelle's son identifies as a negative aspect of being an Indian?
2. Who is Estelle's son engaged to when he meets the woman he eventually marries?
3. How does William wear his hair?
4. Who does William call at the end of "Flight Patterns"?
5. What kind of work does William do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jackson consider himself an "effective" homeless man?
2. Why do you think Jackson is so eager to redeem his grandmother's powwow regalia?
3. Why do you think Estelle fails to help the bleeding woman in the final scene of the story and how does this failure affect her relationship with her son?
4. With their education and prosperity, David and Sharon are well assimilated into mainstream American culture. Does "Do You Know Where I Am?" contain examples of the effects of Native American culture in their lives?
5. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what is David's family background and is it the stereotypical background for an Indian?
6. Why does Estelle Walks Above change her name?
7. What does Estelle decide to do the summer her son turns thirteen, and how does her decision affect her son?
8. Regarding "Flight Patterns," discuss William's familiarity with Donna Fargo and Patsy Cline and what it indicates.
9. Describe Estelle's relationship with her son in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above."
10. What is Real Change and how is it involved in Jackson's quest for his grandmother's regalia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how "What You Pawn I Will Redeem" illustrates the concept of tribalism. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the post-September 11th worlds of "Can I Get a Witness?" and "Flight Patterns." What is Alexie saying about September 11th and its effect on American lives in these stories? What is Alexie saying about September 11th and its effect on Native American lives in these stories? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the three female characters from the short stories in Ten Little Indians: Corliss, the unnamed female protagonist in "Can I Get a Witness," Estelle, the mother in "Do Not Go Gentle" and Sharon. Include a discussion of how they are each assimilated into mainstream American culture and how they are affected by Native American culture and cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,332 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)