|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many questions does Sharon tell David he can ask about what she confesses to him?
2. How much money does Jackson initially have for redeeming the pow-wow regalia?
3. Which of the following statements is not marital advice Estelle gives her son?
4. How much does the pawnshop owner tell Jackson it will cost to redeem the regalia?
5. What does David's mother do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Regarding "Flight Patterns," discuss William's familiarity with Donna Fargo and Patsy Cline and what it indicates.
2. What are the similarities between Fekadu and William in "Flight Patterns"?
3. How does the lost cat illustrate the story's theme of redemption in "Do You Know Where I Am?"
4. What factors do you think contribute to and help perpetuate Jackson's homelessness in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem"?
5. Describe Jackson's relationship with Officer Williams in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem."
6. In what ways does "Flight Patterns" reflect that it takes place in a post-September 11th world?
7. With their education and prosperity, David and Sharon are well assimilated into mainstream American culture. Does "Do You Know Where I Am?" contain examples of the effects of Native American culture in their lives?
8. In what ways is the title "Flight Patterns" related to the story?
9. Why does Estelle's son say he doesn't know what an Indian is supposed to be?
10. Why does Estelle Walks Above change her name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast any three of the following male characters from the short stories in Ten Little Indians: Harlan Atwater, Richard, the unnamed man in "Can I Get a Witness," the father in "Do Not Go Gentle," William, David, Jackson and Frank Snake Church. Include a discussion of how they are each assimilated into mainstream American culture and how they are affected by Native American culture. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the following characters either defy or define stereotypes of Indian women: Estelle Walks Above, Corliss Joseph, and Rose of Sharon. Are their backgrounds and character traits typical or atypical of the stereotype of Indian women? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
"Lawyer's League," "Do Not Go Gentle," and "Do You Know Where I Am?" are written in the first-person point of view while the other stories in Ten Little Indians are written in the third-person point of view. Discuss why you think Sherman Alexie selected the first-person viewpoint for each of these three stories. Also discuss whether you think first-person is an effective viewpoint for these stories. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,266 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)