|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Estelle's son engaged to when he meets the woman he eventually marries?
2. Who does William call at the end of "Flight Patterns"?
3. What does Sharon confess to David one night in "Do You Know Where I Am?"
4. What kind of Indian is David?
5. What does Estelle's son say at the end of the story that he and his mother have done all his life and will keep doing until one eventually buries the other?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Estelle's relationship with her son in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above."
2. How are white people depicted in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and how does this depiction compare to Estelle's opinion of white people?
3. In what ways is the title "Flight Patterns" related to the story?
4. What factors do you think contribute to and help perpetuate Jackson's homelessness in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem"?
5. With their education and prosperity, David and Sharon are well assimilated into mainstream American culture. Does "Do You Know Where I Am?" contain examples of the effects of Native American culture in their lives?
6. What is Real Change and how is it involved in Jackson's quest for his grandmother's regalia?
7. Why do you think Estelle fails to help the bleeding woman in the final scene of the story and how does this failure affect her relationship with her son?
8. What is Jackson's relationship with Kay?
9. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what is David's family background and is it the stereotypical background for an Indian?
10. What does Estelle decide to do the summer her son turns thirteen, and how does her decision affect her son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the humor in "Can I Get a Witness?", "Do Not Go Gentle," "What Ever Happened to Frank Snake Church?", or "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above." Give at least three examples of humor from your chosen story and discuss what you think Sherman Alexie is trying to convey or achieve through his use of humor.
Essay Topic 2
"Lawyer's League," "Do Not Go Gentle," and "Do You Know Where I Am?" are written in the first-person point of view while the other stories in Ten Little Indians are written in the third-person point of view. Discuss why you think Sherman Alexie selected the first-person viewpoint for each of these three stories. Also discuss whether you think first-person is an effective viewpoint for these stories. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Parenting is a theme in many of the stories in Ten Little Indians. Compare and contrast the parents in "Do Not Go Gentle" with Estelle in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and Corliss's parents in "The Search Engine." How does each set of parents deal with the blending of Native American culture and mainstream American culture in the raising of their children? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,511 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)