|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marie want William to do instead of catch his plane?
2. What does the taxi driver say when passengers ask him if he's East Coast or West Coast?
3. Who is Estelle's son engaged to when he meets the woman he eventually marries?
4. What did the taxi driver in "Flight Patterns" do for a living in his birth country?
5. What feminist book does Estelle make her son read?
Essay Topic 1
Jackson in "What You Pawn I Will Redeem," Estelle in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above," Corliss in "The Search Engine," Richard in "Lawyer's League," and William in "Flight Patterns" are all Indian characters but they are diverse in their educational, financial, social, and professional statuses. Select any three of these characters and discuss the differences among them. What do you think Sherman Alexie is trying to say about Indians in creating such varied characters to depict Indian life in America? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the humor in "Can I Get a Witness?", "Do Not Go Gentle," "What Ever Happened to Frank Snake Church?", or "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above." Give at least three examples of humor from your chosen story and discuss what you think Sherman Alexie is trying to convey or achieve through his use of humor.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the way white people think about Indians and interact with them in "Search Engine," "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above," and "What You Pawn I Will Redeem." Give examples from the stories to illustrate your conclusions.
This section contains 1,332 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)