|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story does Sharon tell at every family gathering during her long marriage to David?
2. Why is the regalia Jackson spots in the pawnshop window no longer in the possession of its rightful owner?
3. What do Sharon's parents do for a living?
4. How does Jackson get the pow-wow regalia at the end of "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem"?
5. Who gives Jackson his first twenty dollars for redeeming the pow-wow regalia from the pawn shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is William's relationship with his wife in "Flight Patterns"?
2. Describe Jackson's relationship with Officer Williams in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem."
3. What is Jackson's relationship with Kay?
4. Why does Estelle's son say he doesn't know what an Indian is supposed to be?
5. How are white people depicted in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and how does this depiction compare to Estelle's opinion of white people?
6. In what ways does "Flight Patterns" reflect that it takes place in a post-September 11th world?
7. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what is David's family background and is it the stereotypical background for an Indian?
8. What is Real Change and how is it involved in Jackson's quest for his grandmother's regalia?
9. Why do you think Estelle fails to help the bleeding woman in the final scene of the story and how does this failure affect her relationship with her son?
10. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what is Sharon's family background and is it the stereotypical background for an Indian?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the post-September 11th worlds of "Can I Get a Witness?" and "Flight Patterns." What is Alexie saying about September 11th and its effect on American lives in these stories? What is Alexie saying about September 11th and its effect on Native American lives in these stories? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Sherman Alexie uses foreshadowing throughout Ten Little Indians. Give at least three examples of foreshadowing from the short stories in this collection and discuss how foreshadowing is used in each example to indicate events to come later in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast three of the following African American characters from Ten Little Indians: William from "Lawyer's League," Fekadu from "Flight Patterns," and Preacher, Russell, or the point guard from "What Ever Happened to Frank Snake Church?" Do the African-American characters treat the Native American characters differently than white characters do? Do the Native American characters feel differently about the African-American characters than they do about the white characters? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,318 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)