|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jackson do with his lottery winnings?
2. What story does Sharon tell at every family gathering during her long marriage to David?
3. Which of the following is something William does?
4. What does Jackson buy with twenty of his last twenty-five dollars?
5. What does Sharon give David for his fortieth birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Estelle's relationship with her son in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above."
2. What is Real Change and how is it involved in Jackson's quest for his grandmother's regalia?
3. How does the lost cat illustrate the story's theme of redemption in "Do You Know Where I Am?"
4. Describe what Sharon and David do with their children on the day Sharon confesses her infidelity and what it indicates about Sharon and David's relationship.
5. Why does Jackson consider himself an "effective" homeless man?
6. How are white people depicted in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and how does this depiction compare to Estelle's opinion of white people?
7. Why can't Fekadu return to Ethiopia?
8. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what is David's family background and is it the stereotypical background for an Indian?
9. Describe Jackson's relationship with Officer Williams in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem."
10. With their education and prosperity, David and Sharon are well assimilated into mainstream American culture. Does "Do You Know Where I Am?" contain examples of the effects of Native American culture in their lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the post-September 11th worlds of "Can I Get a Witness?" and "Flight Patterns." What is Alexie saying about September 11th and its effect on American lives in these stories? What is Alexie saying about September 11th and its effect on Native American lives in these stories? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Parenting is a theme in many of the stories in Ten Little Indians. Compare and contrast the parents in "Do Not Go Gentle" with Estelle in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and Corliss's parents in "The Search Engine." How does each set of parents deal with the blending of Native American culture and mainstream American culture in the raising of their children? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the following characters either defy or define stereotypes of Indian women: Estelle Walks Above, Corliss Joseph, and Rose of Sharon. Are their backgrounds and character traits typical or atypical of the stereotype of Indian women? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,319 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)