|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bill's nickname in "Lawyer's League"?
2. What do the man and woman in "Can I Get a Witness?" each think about when they first meet?
3. Why does Steve in "Lawyer's League" invite Richard to play basketball?
4. What does Richard think Bill's problem with dunking really is?
5. How do Corliss's father and uncles feel about poetry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Richard think most Native American politicians are like?
2. Why do you think Chocolate Thunder appeals to the father in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
3. Do you think the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" is thinking clearly after the bombing, or do you think her head injury affects her speech and behavior?
4. Discuss the influence of Native American culture on the life of the woman in "Can I Get a Witness?"
5. Do any of the lawyers respect Richard?
6. Who is the antagonist in "Lawyer's League" and what helps identify that character as the villain/villainess?
7. What Native American healing traditions do the parents of the dying baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" bring into the hospital?
8. How does the woman's inability to get her waiter's attention at the beginning of "Can I Get a Witness" symbolize her relationship with her husband and sons?
9. What is Richard's relationship with Teresa and how does it compare with what he wishes it was?
10. What is the significance of the last line of "Lawyer's League" in which Richard says, "Do you understand I have a limited range of motion"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Death is a theme or plot element in numerous stories in Sherman Alexie's Ten Little Indians. Compare and contrast the handling of the subject of death and grief in any three stories from the collection. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Sharon in "Do You Know Where I Am" ever truly forgives David for his lies about the lost cat? Why or why not? Cite at least three examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast any three of the following male characters from the short stories in Ten Little Indians: Harlan Atwater, Richard, the unnamed man in "Can I Get a Witness," the father in "Do Not Go Gentle," William, David, Jackson and Frank Snake Church. Include a discussion of how they are each assimilated into mainstream American culture and how they are affected by Native American culture. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,482 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)