|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements describes Richard's mother?
2. Where did Richard grow up?
3. Who is the woman unable to find at the beginning of "Can I Get a Witness?"
4. What does Richard imagine at the end of "Lawyer's League"?
5. What kind of lawyers are most of the players on Steve's team?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why don't the parents in "Do Not Go Gentle" name their baby at the beginning of the story?
2. What do Corliss's apartment and the way it is furnished indicate about Corliss?
3. Do you think the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" is thinking clearly after the bombing, or do you think her head injury affects her speech and behavior?
4. How is it ironic that Bill is the only prosecutor in the lawyer's basketball league?
5. What is the significance of Harlan Atwater not giving his real name to Corliss?
6. Are there any parallels between the bombing of the Good Food Restaurant in "Can I Get a Witness" and the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center?
7. Why does the father in "Do Not Go Gentle" think his wife is more sorrowful than he is over their son's critical condition?
8. How does Corliss think white people feel about Indians?
9. What Native American healing traditions do the parents of the dying baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" bring into the hospital?
10. What does the opening scene of "The Search Engine" in which Corliss watches the young couple in the student union cafe foreshadow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how "What You Pawn I Will Redeem" illustrates the concept of tribalism. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the three female characters from the short stories in Ten Little Indians: Corliss, the unnamed female protagonist in "Can I Get a Witness," Estelle, the mother in "Do Not Go Gentle" and Sharon. Include a discussion of how they are each assimilated into mainstream American culture and how they are affected by Native American culture and cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
"Lawyer's League," "Do Not Go Gentle," and "Do You Know Where I Am?" are written in the first-person point of view while the other stories in Ten Little Indians are written in the third-person point of view. Discuss why you think Sherman Alexie selected the first-person viewpoint for each of these three stories. Also discuss whether you think first-person is an effective viewpoint for these stories. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,348 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)