|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Corliss own her own computer?
2. What does Bill say when Richard dunks the basketball?
3. How does the woman feel about her children in "Can I Get a Witness?"
4. Who settles a lawsuit out of court in "Lawyer's League"?
5. Which of the following statements describes Richard's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Corliss's visits to McDonald's illustrate?
2. What are the similarities between the man and woman who meet after the bombing in "Can I Get a Witness"?
3. What does the opening scene of "The Search Engine" in which Corliss watches the young couple in the student union cafe foreshadow?
4. What is the significance of Harlan Atwater not giving his real name to Corliss?
5. What is the significance of the last line of "Lawyer's League" in which Richard says, "Do you understand I have a limited range of motion"?
6. Why do you think Chocolate Thunder appeals to the father in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
7. Discuss the influence of Native American culture on the life of the woman in "Can I Get a Witness?"
8. Who is Mr. Grief in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
9. Why does the father in "Do Not Go Gentle" think his wife is more sorrowful than he is over their son's critical condition?
10. Do you think the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" is thinking clearly after the bombing, or do you think her head injury affects her speech and behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jackson in "What You Pawn I Will Redeem," Estelle in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above," Corliss in "The Search Engine," Richard in "Lawyer's League," and William in "Flight Patterns" are all Indian characters but they are diverse in their educational, financial, social, and professional statuses. Select any three of these characters and discuss the differences among them. What do you think Sherman Alexie is trying to say about Indians in creating such varied characters to depict Indian life in America? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the three female characters from the short stories in Ten Little Indians: Corliss, the unnamed female protagonist in "Can I Get a Witness," Estelle, the mother in "Do Not Go Gentle" and Sharon. Include a discussion of how they are each assimilated into mainstream American culture and how they are affected by Native American culture and cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Parenting is a theme in many of the stories in Ten Little Indians. Compare and contrast the parents in "Do Not Go Gentle" with Estelle in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and Corliss's parents in "The Search Engine." How does each set of parents deal with the blending of Native American culture and mainstream American culture in the raising of their children? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,646 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)