|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Corliss want a white roommate?
2. What did the man's ex-wife used to call him in "Can I Get a Witness?"
3. What happens when Corliss calls Harlan Atwater on the phone?
4. Why doesn't Corliss own her own computer?
5. How do Corliss's father and uncles feel about poetry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Before he encounters Bill and the lawyer's basketball league, does Richard's career path seem to be leading him to his goal of the Senate and the White House?
2. How is it ironic that Bill is the only prosecutor in the lawyer's basketball league?
3. Why do you think Chocolate Thunder appeals to the father in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
4. What is the significance of Harlan Atwater not giving his real name to Corliss?
5. What unconventional thoughts does the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" have about the victims of September 11th?
6. Explain how overhearing the other fathers in the hospital bathroom motivates the father in "Do Not Go Gentle."
7. How does the woman's inability to get her waiter's attention at the beginning of "Can I Get a Witness" symbolize her relationship with her husband and sons?
8. How does Corliss differ from the rest of her family?
9. What does Richard think most Native American politicians are like?
10. Do you think the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" is thinking clearly after the bombing, or do you think her head injury affects her speech and behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ceremony is an important aspect of Native American spirituality. Discuss the role of ceremony in "Do Not Go Gentle," "What You Pawn I Will Redeem," and "Whatever Happened to Frank Snake Church?" Give examples of ceremony in each story and discuss its influence on the characters and theme. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the humor in "Can I Get a Witness?", "Do Not Go Gentle," "What Ever Happened to Frank Snake Church?", or "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above." Give at least three examples of humor from your chosen story and discuss what you think Sherman Alexie is trying to convey or achieve through his use of humor.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the post-September 11th worlds of "Can I Get a Witness?" and "Flight Patterns." What is Alexie saying about September 11th and its effect on American lives in these stories? What is Alexie saying about September 11th and its effect on Native American lives in these stories? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,496 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)