|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the parents of the baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" do at their baby's hospital bedside?
2. According to the librarian, how many other people have checked out Harlan Atwater's book before Corliss?
3. How many other published Spokane Indian poets are there in "The Search Engine" besides Harlan Atwater?
4. How old is the female main character of "Can I Get a Witness?"
5. Where did Richard grow up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Chocolate Thunder appeals to the father in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
2. Are there any parallels between the bombing of the Good Food Restaurant in "Can I Get a Witness" and the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center?
3. How does the woman's inability to get her waiter's attention at the beginning of "Can I Get a Witness" symbolize her relationship with her husband and sons?
4. Explain why Corliss identifies so strongly with Harlan Atwater.
5. What Native American healing traditions do the parents of the dying baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" bring into the hospital?
6. Do any of the lawyers respect Richard?
7. Who is Mr. Grief in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
8. What does Richard think most Native American politicians are like?
9. What do Corliss's visits to McDonald's illustrate?
10. What unconventional thoughts does the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" have about the victims of September 11th?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Education is one of the themes in the stories in Ten Little Indians. Pick any three of the following stories and discuss the theme of education in each story: "The Search Engine," "Lawyer's League," "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above," and "What Ever Happened to Frank Snake Church?" What do you think the author is trying to say about education through these stories? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the three female characters from the short stories in Ten Little Indians: Corliss, the unnamed female protagonist in "Can I Get a Witness," Estelle, the mother in "Do Not Go Gentle" and Sharon. Include a discussion of how they are each assimilated into mainstream American culture and how they are affected by Native American culture and cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the relationship of Sharon and David in "Do You Know Where I Am" with the relationship of William and Marie in "Flight Patterns" and the relationship of the unnamed parents in "Do Not Go Gentle." Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,369 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)