|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the parents of the baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" do at their baby's hospital bedside?
2. How does the woman respond when the man asks her if she was inside the place that just got bombed?
3. Which of the following statements does not describe how the woman in "Can I Get a Witness?" feels about the people who died on September 11th?
4. What school does Corliss attend?
5. In "Can I Get a Witness?", where does the woman ask the man to take her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Estelle Walks Above change her name?
2. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what is David's family background and is it the stereotypical background for an Indian?
3. Why do you think Estelle fails to help the bleeding woman in the final scene of the story and how does this failure affect her relationship with her son?
4. Why can't Fekadu return to Ethiopia?
5. Why don't the parents in "Do Not Go Gentle" name their baby at the beginning of the story?
6. Why do you think Chocolate Thunder appeals to the father in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
7. How does Richard in "Lawyer's League" describe himself?
8. Are there any parallels between the bombing of the Good Food Restaurant in "Can I Get a Witness" and the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center?
9. Why does the father in "Do Not Go Gentle" think his wife is more sorrowful than he is over their son's critical condition?
10. When Frank Snake Church thinks he's having a heart attack, what is really going on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the post-September 11th worlds of "Can I Get a Witness?" and "Flight Patterns." What is Alexie saying about September 11th and its effect on American lives in these stories? What is Alexie saying about September 11th and its effect on Native American lives in these stories? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Sherman Alexie uses foreshadowing throughout Ten Little Indians. Give at least three examples of foreshadowing from the short stories in this collection and discuss how foreshadowing is used in each example to indicate events to come later in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Parenting is a theme in many of the stories in Ten Little Indians. Compare and contrast the parents in "Do Not Go Gentle" with Estelle in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and Corliss's parents in "The Search Engine." How does each set of parents deal with the blending of Native American culture and mainstream American culture in the raising of their children? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 2,400 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)