|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Richard surprised to be invited to play basketball in a lawyer's league?
2. What kind of store does the man in "Do Not Go Gentle" mistakenly visit instead of a toy store?
3. What does Richard imagine at the end of "Lawyer's League"?
4. Why does the man in "Do Not Go Gentle" think his wife is sadder than he is?
5. What do the man and woman in "Can I Get a Witness?" each think about when they first meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the last line of "Lawyer's League" in which Richard says, "Do you understand I have a limited range of motion"?
2. How does Corliss differ from the rest of her family?
3. What unconventional thoughts does the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" have about the victims of September 11th?
4. What is Richard's relationship with Teresa and how does it compare with what he wishes it was?
5. Explain how overhearing the other fathers in the hospital bathroom motivates the father in "Do Not Go Gentle."
6. What do Corliss's visits to McDonald's illustrate?
7. What is the significance of Corliss's referring to her quest for information about Harlan Atwater as a "vision quest"?
8. Before he encounters Bill and the lawyer's basketball league, does Richard's career path seem to be leading him to his goal of the Senate and the White House?
9. How does the woman's inability to get her waiter's attention at the beginning of "Can I Get a Witness" symbolize her relationship with her husband and sons?
10. Who is the antagonist in "Lawyer's League" and what helps identify that character as the villain/villainess?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss symbolism and metaphor in Ten Little Indians. Give three examples of symbolism in the short stories in this collection and discuss what the symbols are used to convey.
Essay Topic 2
Education is one of the themes in the stories in Ten Little Indians. Pick any three of the following stories and discuss the theme of education in each story: "The Search Engine," "Lawyer's League," "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above," and "What Ever Happened to Frank Snake Church?" What do you think the author is trying to say about education through these stories? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Grief and depression are themes in "Can I Get a Witness," "Do Not Go Gentle," and "What Ever Happened to Frank Snake Church?" Discuss how these themes are handled in each story and how each character copes with emotional pain. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,393 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)