|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does not describe the physical appearance of Corliss?
2. At the end of "The Search Engine," what does Corliss ask Harlan Atwater for that he does not give her?
3. Which of the following statements does not describe how the woman has fantasized she would behave if she had been caught in the Twin Towers on September 11th?
4. To where does the man carry the woman at the end of "Can I Get a Witness?"
5. What is Bill's nickname in "Lawyer's League"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does "Flight Patterns" reflect that it takes place in a post-September 11th world?
2. Why does Estelle's son say he doesn't know what an Indian is supposed to be?
3. How is it ironic that Bill is the only prosecutor in the lawyer's basketball league?
4. What do Corliss's apartment and the way it is furnished indicate about Corliss?
5. How does Richard in "Lawyer's League" describe himself?
6. Is Frank's basketball game at the community college at the end of the story a victory or a failure?
7. Who is Mr. Grief in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
8. Why don't the parents in "Do Not Go Gentle" name their baby at the beginning of the story?
9. Why do you think Estelle fails to help the bleeding woman in the final scene of the story and how does this failure affect her relationship with her son?
10. Regarding "Flight Patterns," discuss William's familiarity with Donna Fargo and Patsy Cline and what it indicates.
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast three of the following African American characters from Ten Little Indians: William from "Lawyer's League," Fekadu from "Flight Patterns," and Preacher, Russell, or the point guard from "What Ever Happened to Frank Snake Church?" Do the African-American characters treat the Native American characters differently than white characters do? Do the Native American characters feel differently about the African-American characters than they do about the white characters? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Sherman Alexie uses foreshadowing throughout Ten Little Indians. Give at least three examples of foreshadowing from the short stories in this collection and discuss how foreshadowing is used in each example to indicate events to come later in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the following characters either defy or define stereotypes of Indian women: Estelle Walks Above, Corliss Joseph, and Rose of Sharon. Are their backgrounds and character traits typical or atypical of the stereotype of Indian women? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 2,328 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)