|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements describes the father of Richard, the narrator in "Lawyer's League"?
2. What are the parents in "Do Not Go Gentle" and the other parents in the hospital sick and tired of?
3. Which of the following statements does not describe the woman's life in "Can I Get a Witness?"
4. What do the man and woman in "Can I Get a Witness?" each think about when they first meet?
5. What does Corliss learn about Harlan Atwater from his interview in Radical Seattle Weekly?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mr. Grief in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
2. What is the significance of the last line of "Lawyer's League" in which Richard says, "Do you understand I have a limited range of motion"?
3. Are there any parallels between the bombing of the Good Food Restaurant in "Can I Get a Witness" and the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center?
4. Why do you think the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" wants the man to take her to his home after the bombing rather than to hers?
5. Why does the father in "Do Not Go Gentle" think his wife is more sorrowful than he is over their son's critical condition?
6. Do any of the lawyers respect Richard?
7. How is it ironic that Bill is the only prosecutor in the lawyer's basketball league?
8. Do you think the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" is thinking clearly after the bombing, or do you think her head injury affects her speech and behavior?
9. What Native American healing traditions do the parents of the dying baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" bring into the hospital?
10. What does Richard think most Native American politicians are like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Parenting is a theme in many of the stories in Ten Little Indians. Compare and contrast the parents in "Do Not Go Gentle" with Estelle in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and Corliss's parents in "The Search Engine." How does each set of parents deal with the blending of Native American culture and mainstream American culture in the raising of their children? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Sherman Alexie uses foreshadowing throughout Ten Little Indians. Give at least three examples of foreshadowing from the short stories in this collection and discuss how foreshadowing is used in each example to indicate events to come later in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Death is a theme or plot element in numerous stories in Sherman Alexie's Ten Little Indians. Compare and contrast the handling of the subject of death and grief in any three stories from the collection. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,589 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)