Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a way Corliss gets a prep school education in high school without attending an expensive prep school?
2. What happens when Corliss calls Harlan Atwater on the phone?
3. Why does Richard not become involved with the woman to whom he is so attracted at the dinner he attends?
4. When Corliss searches for information about Harlan Atwater, what does she find out when she e-mails other Indian writers and poets?
5. What kind of lawyers are most of the players on Steve's team?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Frank's basketball game at the community college at the end of the story a victory or a failure?
2. Why does Estelle Walks Above change her name?
3. Before he encounters Bill and the lawyer's basketball league, does Richard's career path seem to be leading him to his goal of the Senate and the White House?
4. How does the lost cat illustrate the story's theme of redemption in "Do You Know Where I Am?"
5. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what is Sharon's family background and is it the stereotypical background for an Indian?
6. Why does Estelle's son say he doesn't know what an Indian is supposed to be?
7. What Native American healing traditions do the parents of the dying baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" bring into the hospital?
8. How is it ironic that Bill is the only prosecutor in the lawyer's basketball league?
9. What does the opening scene of "The Search Engine" in which Corliss watches the young couple in the student union cafe foreshadow?
10. How does Corliss think white people feel about Indians?
Essay Topic 1
Parenting is a theme in many of the stories in Ten Little Indians. Compare and contrast the parents in "Do Not Go Gentle" with Estelle in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and Corliss's parents in "The Search Engine." How does each set of parents deal with the blending of Native American culture and mainstream American culture in the raising of their children? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Death is a theme or plot element in numerous stories in Sherman Alexie's Ten Little Indians. Compare and contrast the handling of the subject of death and grief in any three stories from the collection. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Sharon in "Do You Know Where I Am" ever truly forgives David for his lies about the lost cat? Why or why not? Cite at least three examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 2,371 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)