|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard know about the other basketball players from lunchtime games with them?
2. In "The Search Engine," what is the title of Harlan Atwater's poetry book?
3. Where is the man in "Do Not Go Gentle" when he falls into a waking sleep?
4. To where does the man carry the woman at the end of "Can I Get a Witness?"
5. What happens when Bill tells Richard to "go home, son"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Jackson is so eager to redeem his grandmother's powwow regalia?
2. When Frank Snake Church thinks he's having a heart attack, what is really going on?
3. How does the lost cat illustrate the story's theme of redemption in "Do You Know Where I Am?"
4. In what ways does "Flight Patterns" reflect that it takes place in a post-September 11th world?
5. What is the significance of Corliss's referring to her quest for information about Harlan Atwater as a "vision quest"?
6. Are there any parallels between the bombing of the Good Food Restaurant in "Can I Get a Witness" and the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center?
7. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what is David's family background and is it the stereotypical background for an Indian?
8. What does Estelle decide to do the summer her son turns thirteen, and how does her decision affect her son?
9. In "What Even Happened to Frank Snake Church?", what is Frank's relationship with Russell?
10. Do you think the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" is thinking clearly after the bombing, or do you think her head injury affects her speech and behavior?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast any three of the following male characters from the short stories in Ten Little Indians: Harlan Atwater, Richard, the unnamed man in "Can I Get a Witness," the father in "Do Not Go Gentle," William, David, Jackson and Frank Snake Church. Include a discussion of how they are each assimilated into mainstream American culture and how they are affected by Native American culture. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how "What You Pawn I Will Redeem" illustrates the concept of tribalism. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Death is a theme or plot element in numerous stories in Sherman Alexie's Ten Little Indians. Compare and contrast the handling of the subject of death and grief in any three stories from the collection. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 2,541 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)