Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a way Corliss gets a prep school education in high school without attending an expensive prep school?
2. What happens when Corliss calls Harlan Atwater on the phone?
3. Why does Richard not become involved with the woman to whom he is so attracted at the dinner he attends?
4. When Corliss searches for information about Harlan Atwater, what does she find out when she e-mails other Indian writers and poets?
5. What kind of lawyers are most of the players on Steve's team?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Frank's basketball game at the community college at the end of the story a victory or a failure?
2. Why does Estelle Walks Above change her name?
3. Before he encounters Bill and the lawyer's basketball league, does Richard's career path seem to be leading him to his goal of the Senate and the White House?
4. How does the lost cat illustrate the story's theme of redemption in "Do You Know Where I Am?"
5. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what is Sharon's family background and is it the stereotypical background for an Indian?
6. Why does Estelle's son say he doesn't know what an Indian is supposed to be?
7. What Native American healing traditions do the parents of the dying baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" bring into the hospital?
8. How is it ironic that Bill is the only prosecutor in the lawyer's basketball league?
9. What does the opening scene of "The Search Engine" in which Corliss watches the young couple in the student union cafe foreshadow?
10. How does Corliss think white people feel about Indians?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast any three of the following male characters from the short stories in Ten Little Indians: Harlan Atwater, Richard, the unnamed man in "Can I Get a Witness," the father in "Do Not Go Gentle," William, David, Jackson and Frank Snake Church. Include a discussion of how they are each assimilated into mainstream American culture and how they are affected by Native American culture. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
"Lawyer's League," "Do Not Go Gentle," and "Do You Know Where I Am?" are written in the first-person point of view while the other stories in Ten Little Indians are written in the third-person point of view. Discuss why you think Sherman Alexie selected the first-person viewpoint for each of these three stories. Also discuss whether you think first-person is an effective viewpoint for these stories. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how "What You Pawn I Will Redeem" illustrates the concept of tribalism. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,376 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)