|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Richard not become involved with the woman to whom he is so attracted at the dinner he attends?
2. According to the librarian, how many other people have checked out Harlan Atwater's book before Corliss?
3. When Corliss searches for information about Harlan Atwater, what does she find out from the Spokane Indian tribe?
4. How many people survive the bomb explosion?
5. Why doesn't Corliss want a white roommate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do any of the lawyers respect Richard?
2. How does the woman's inability to get her waiter's attention at the beginning of "Can I Get a Witness" symbolize her relationship with her husband and sons?
3. Why do you think Chocolate Thunder appeals to the father in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
4. What are the similarities between the man and woman who meet after the bombing in "Can I Get a Witness"?
5. Do you think the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" is thinking clearly after the bombing, or do you think her head injury affects her speech and behavior?
6. What do Corliss's visits to McDonald's illustrate?
7. Explain how overhearing the other fathers in the hospital bathroom motivates the father in "Do Not Go Gentle."
8. Who is Mr. Grief in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
9. Discuss the touches of humor in "Can I Get a Witness?"
10. Explain why Corliss identifies so strongly with Harlan Atwater.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how "What You Pawn I Will Redeem" illustrates the concept of tribalism. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Education is one of the themes in the stories in Ten Little Indians. Pick any three of the following stories and discuss the theme of education in each story: "The Search Engine," "Lawyer's League," "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above," and "What Ever Happened to Frank Snake Church?" What do you think the author is trying to say about education through these stories? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the three female characters from the short stories in Ten Little Indians: Corliss, the unnamed female protagonist in "Can I Get a Witness," Estelle, the mother in "Do Not Go Gentle" and Sharon. Include a discussion of how they are each assimilated into mainstream American culture and how they are affected by Native American culture and cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,489 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)