|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the woman who is the main character of "Can I Get a Witness?" doing at the beginning of the story?
2. Why is Richard surprised to be invited to play basketball in a lawyer's league?
3. How old is the female main character of "Can I Get a Witness?"
4. According to the librarian, how many other people have checked out Harlan Atwater's book before Corliss?
5. What do the parents of the baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" do at their baby's hospital bedside?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" wants the man to take her to his home after the bombing rather than to hers?
2. Describe what Sharon and David do with their children on the day Sharon confesses her infidelity and what it indicates about Sharon and David's relationship.
3. What is Richard's relationship with Teresa and how does it compare with what he wishes it was?
4. How does Richard in "Lawyer's League" describe himself?
5. What are the similarities between Fekadu and William in "Flight Patterns"?
6. Why do you think Chocolate Thunder appeals to the father in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
7. Regarding "Flight Patterns," discuss William's familiarity with Donna Fargo and Patsy Cline and what it indicates.
8. When Frank Snake Church thinks he's having a heart attack, what is really going on?
9. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what is Sharon's family background and is it the stereotypical background for an Indian?
10. Why do you think Estelle fails to help the bleeding woman in the final scene of the story and how does this failure affect her relationship with her son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the way white people think about Indians and interact with them in "Search Engine," "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above," and "What You Pawn I Will Redeem." Give examples from the stories to illustrate your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the humor in "Can I Get a Witness?", "Do Not Go Gentle," "What Ever Happened to Frank Snake Church?", or "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above." Give at least three examples of humor from your chosen story and discuss what you think Sherman Alexie is trying to convey or achieve through his use of humor.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how "What You Pawn I Will Redeem" illustrates the concept of tribalism. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 2,359 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)