|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Search Engine," what poet does the man in the Student Union quote at the beginning of the story?
2. What do the parents of the baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" do at their baby's hospital bedside?
3. Which of the following is something the man and his wife in "Do Not Go Gentle" do with Chocolate Thunder?
4. How does the woman feel about her children in "Can I Get a Witness?"
5. In "The Search Engine," what is the title of Harlan Atwater's poetry book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the woman's inability to get her waiter's attention at the beginning of "Can I Get a Witness" symbolize her relationship with her husband and sons?
2. Who is Mr. Grief in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
3. Discuss the influence of Native American culture on the life of the woman in "Can I Get a Witness?"
4. Before he encounters Bill and the lawyer's basketball league, does Richard's career path seem to be leading him to his goal of the Senate and the White House?
5. Discuss the touches of humor in "Can I Get a Witness?"
6. What is the significance of Corliss's referring to her quest for information about Harlan Atwater as a "vision quest"?
7. What is the significance of Harlan Atwater not giving his real name to Corliss?
8. Do any of the lawyers respect Richard?
9. Who is the antagonist in "Lawyer's League" and what helps identify that character as the villain/villainess?
10. What does Richard think most Native American politicians are like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Lawyer's League," "Do Not Go Gentle," and "Do You Know Where I Am?" are written in the first-person point of view while the other stories in Ten Little Indians are written in the third-person point of view. Discuss why you think Sherman Alexie selected the first-person viewpoint for each of these three stories. Also discuss whether you think first-person is an effective viewpoint for these stories. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
"The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" contains many numbered lists, notices of historical revision, and questions and answers marked Q and A. What do you think this unusual method of structure indicates about the character of the male narrator and what do you think Sherman Alexie is trying to convey in this unique format? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss symbolism and metaphor in Ten Little Indians. Give three examples of symbolism in the short stories in this collection and discuss what the symbols are used to convey.
This section contains 1,577 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)