Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a way Corliss gets a prep school education in high school without attending an expensive prep school?
2. What happens when Corliss calls Harlan Atwater on the phone?
3. Why does Richard not become involved with the woman to whom he is so attracted at the dinner he attends?
4. When Corliss searches for information about Harlan Atwater, what does she find out when she e-mails other Indian writers and poets?
5. What kind of lawyers are most of the players on Steve's team?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Frank's basketball game at the community college at the end of the story a victory or a failure?
2. Why does Estelle Walks Above change her name?
3. Before he encounters Bill and the lawyer's basketball league, does Richard's career path seem to be leading him to his goal of the Senate and the White House?
4. How does the lost cat illustrate the story's theme of redemption in "Do You Know Where I Am?"
5. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what is Sharon's family background and is it the stereotypical background for an Indian?
6. Why does Estelle's son say he doesn't know what an Indian is supposed to be?
7. What Native American healing traditions do the parents of the dying baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" bring into the hospital?
8. How is it ironic that Bill is the only prosecutor in the lawyer's basketball league?
9. What does the opening scene of "The Search Engine" in which Corliss watches the young couple in the student union cafe foreshadow?
10. How does Corliss think white people feel about Indians?
Ceremony is an important aspect of Native American spirituality. Discuss the role of ceremony in "Do Not Go Gentle," "What You Pawn I Will Redeem," and "Whatever Happened to Frank Snake Church?" Give examples of ceremony in each story and discuss its influence on the characters and theme. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments
Discuss symbolism and metaphor in Ten Little Indians. Give three examples of symbolism in the short stories in this collection and discuss what the symbols are used to convey.
Grief and depression are themes in "Can I Get a Witness," "Do Not Go Gentle," and "What Ever Happened to Frank Snake Church?" Discuss how these themes are handled in each story and how each character copes with emotional pain. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,331 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)