|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what kind of dinner is Richard invited?
2. What does Richard think Bill's problem with dunking really is?
3. What kind of lawyers are most of the players on Steve's team?
4. Who is the woman unable to find at the beginning of "Can I Get a Witness?"
5. What does Bill say when Richard steals the ball while Bill is dribbling?
Short Essay Questions
1. Are there any parallels between the bombing of the Good Food Restaurant in "Can I Get a Witness" and the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center?
2. What do Corliss's apartment and the way it is furnished indicate about Corliss?
3. Before he encounters Bill and the lawyer's basketball league, does Richard's career path seem to be leading him to his goal of the Senate and the White House?
4. Do any of the lawyers respect Richard?
5. What is the significance of Corliss's referring to her quest for information about Harlan Atwater as a "vision quest"?
6. Explain why Corliss identifies so strongly with Harlan Atwater.
7. What are the similarities between the man and woman who meet after the bombing in "Can I Get a Witness"?
8. Why don't the parents in "Do Not Go Gentle" name their baby at the beginning of the story?
9. How does the woman's inability to get her waiter's attention at the beginning of "Can I Get a Witness" symbolize her relationship with her husband and sons?
10. What does Richard think most Native American politicians are like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast three of the following African American characters from Ten Little Indians: William from "Lawyer's League," Fekadu from "Flight Patterns," and Preacher, Russell, or the point guard from "What Ever Happened to Frank Snake Church?" Do the African-American characters treat the Native American characters differently than white characters do? Do the Native American characters feel differently about the African-American characters than they do about the white characters? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the post-September 11th worlds of "Can I Get a Witness?" and "Flight Patterns." What is Alexie saying about September 11th and its effect on American lives in these stories? What is Alexie saying about September 11th and its effect on Native American lives in these stories? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how "What You Pawn I Will Redeem" illustrates the concept of tribalism. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,280 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)