|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe Richard's job experiences?
2. What does the man in "Can I Get a Witness?" advise the only person he can get on the phone to do?
3. When the man can't get 911 and dials other numbers to test the phone service after the bombing, what is the only number that answers?
4. To what kind of dinner is Richard invited?
5. When Bill keeps protesting every basket Richard makes, what do the other lawyers suggest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" is thinking clearly after the bombing, or do you think her head injury affects her speech and behavior?
2. What do Corliss's visits to McDonald's illustrate?
3. Why don't the parents in "Do Not Go Gentle" name their baby at the beginning of the story?
4. Are there any parallels between the bombing of the Good Food Restaurant in "Can I Get a Witness" and the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center?
5. Why do you think Chocolate Thunder appeals to the father in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
6. What is Richard's relationship with Teresa and how does it compare with what he wishes it was?
7. What is the significance of Corliss's referring to her quest for information about Harlan Atwater as a "vision quest"?
8. What are the similarities between the man and woman who meet after the bombing in "Can I Get a Witness"?
9. Why does the father in "Do Not Go Gentle" think his wife is more sorrowful than he is over their son's critical condition?
10. Discuss the influence of Native American culture on the life of the woman in "Can I Get a Witness?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" contains many numbered lists, notices of historical revision, and questions and answers marked Q and A. What do you think this unusual method of structure indicates about the character of the male narrator and what do you think Sherman Alexie is trying to convey in this unique format? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Parenting is a theme in many of the stories in Ten Little Indians. Compare and contrast the parents in "Do Not Go Gentle" with Estelle in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and Corliss's parents in "The Search Engine." How does each set of parents deal with the blending of Native American culture and mainstream American culture in the raising of their children? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Ceremony is an important aspect of Native American spirituality. Discuss the role of ceremony in "Do Not Go Gentle," "What You Pawn I Will Redeem," and "Whatever Happened to Frank Snake Church?" Give examples of ceremony in each story and discuss its influence on the characters and theme. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments
This section contains 1,562 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)