|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe Richard's job experiences?
2. What did the man's ex-wife used to call him in "Can I Get a Witness?"
3. What are the parents in "Do Not Go Gentle" and the other parents in the hospital sick and tired of?
4. In "Can I Get a Witness?", what kind of work does the woman do?
5. Which of the following statements describes the father of Richard, the narrator in "Lawyer's League"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the similarities between the man and woman who meet after the bombing in "Can I Get a Witness"?
2. What does Richard think most Native American politicians are like?
3. What is Richard's relationship with Teresa and how does it compare with what he wishes it was?
4. How does the woman's inability to get her waiter's attention at the beginning of "Can I Get a Witness" symbolize her relationship with her husband and sons?
5. Before he encounters Bill and the lawyer's basketball league, does Richard's career path seem to be leading him to his goal of the Senate and the White House?
6. Who is the antagonist in "Lawyer's League" and what helps identify that character as the villain/villainess?
7. Do any of the lawyers respect Richard?
8. How does Corliss think white people feel about Indians?
9. Why do you think the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" wants the man to take her to his home after the bombing rather than to hers?
10. How does Richard in "Lawyer's League" describe himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sherman Alexie uses foreshadowing throughout Ten Little Indians. Give at least three examples of foreshadowing from the short stories in this collection and discuss how foreshadowing is used in each example to indicate events to come later in the story.
Essay Topic 2
"Lawyer's League," "Do Not Go Gentle," and "Do You Know Where I Am?" are written in the first-person point of view while the other stories in Ten Little Indians are written in the third-person point of view. Discuss why you think Sherman Alexie selected the first-person viewpoint for each of these three stories. Also discuss whether you think first-person is an effective viewpoint for these stories. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Ceremony is an important aspect of Native American spirituality. Discuss the role of ceremony in "Do Not Go Gentle," "What You Pawn I Will Redeem," and "Whatever Happened to Frank Snake Church?" Give examples of ceremony in each story and discuss its influence on the characters and theme. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments
This section contains 1,307 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)