|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the dinner Richard attends, who does he think he could take home, sleep with, and abandon?
2. In "Can I Get a Witness?", how does the woman feel about her husband?
3. When Corliss searches for information about Harlan Atwater, what does she find out from the Spokane Indian tribe?
4. When the man can't get 911 and dials other numbers to test the phone service after the bombing, what is the only number that answers?
5. Why doesn't Corliss own her own computer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Corliss's referring to her quest for information about Harlan Atwater as a "vision quest"?
2. How does the woman's inability to get her waiter's attention at the beginning of "Can I Get a Witness" symbolize her relationship with her husband and sons?
3. Do any of the lawyers respect Richard?
4. What is the significance of Harlan Atwater not giving his real name to Corliss?
5. Explain why Corliss identifies so strongly with Harlan Atwater.
6. Who is the antagonist in "Lawyer's League" and what helps identify that character as the villain/villainess?
7. What do Corliss's apartment and the way it is furnished indicate about Corliss?
8. Why does the father in "Do Not Go Gentle" think his wife is more sorrowful than he is over their son's critical condition?
9. Discuss the touches of humor in "Can I Get a Witness?"
10. How does Corliss think white people feel about Indians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast three of the following African American characters from Ten Little Indians: William from "Lawyer's League," Fekadu from "Flight Patterns," and Preacher, Russell, or the point guard from "What Ever Happened to Frank Snake Church?" Do the African-American characters treat the Native American characters differently than white characters do? Do the Native American characters feel differently about the African-American characters than they do about the white characters? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the relationship of Sharon and David in "Do You Know Where I Am" with the relationship of William and Marie in "Flight Patterns" and the relationship of the unnamed parents in "Do Not Go Gentle." Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Parenting is a theme in many of the stories in Ten Little Indians. Compare and contrast the parents in "Do Not Go Gentle" with Estelle in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and Corliss's parents in "The Search Engine." How does each set of parents deal with the blending of Native American culture and mainstream American culture in the raising of their children? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,355 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)