|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Richard's career goals?
2. What "dirty secret" does Richard reveal about Indian tribal leaders at the beginning of "Lawyer's League"?
3. What does Bill say when Richard steals the ball while Bill is dribbling?
4. How old is Corliss in "The Search Engine"?
5. Who is the woman unable to find at the beginning of "Can I Get a Witness?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Corliss think white people feel about Indians?
2. What does the opening scene of "The Search Engine" in which Corliss watches the young couple in the student union cafe foreshadow?
3. Discuss the touches of humor in "Can I Get a Witness?"
4. Why do you think Chocolate Thunder appeals to the father in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
5. What is the significance of the last line of "Lawyer's League" in which Richard says, "Do you understand I have a limited range of motion"?
6. Do you think the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" is thinking clearly after the bombing, or do you think her head injury affects her speech and behavior?
7. What is the significance of Harlan Atwater not giving his real name to Corliss?
8. How does Corliss differ from the rest of her family?
9. Why does the father in "Do Not Go Gentle" think his wife is more sorrowful than he is over their son's critical condition?
10. How does the woman's inability to get her waiter's attention at the beginning of "Can I Get a Witness" symbolize her relationship with her husband and sons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the humor in "Can I Get a Witness?", "Do Not Go Gentle," "What Ever Happened to Frank Snake Church?", or "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above." Give at least three examples of humor from your chosen story and discuss what you think Sherman Alexie is trying to convey or achieve through his use of humor.
Essay Topic 2
Grief and depression are themes in "Can I Get a Witness," "Do Not Go Gentle," and "What Ever Happened to Frank Snake Church?" Discuss how these themes are handled in each story and how each character copes with emotional pain. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast any three of the following male characters from the short stories in Ten Little Indians: Harlan Atwater, Richard, the unnamed man in "Can I Get a Witness," the father in "Do Not Go Gentle," William, David, Jackson and Frank Snake Church. Include a discussion of how they are each assimilated into mainstream American culture and how they are affected by Native American culture. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,467 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)