|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the man's infant son at the beginning of "Do Not Go Gentle"?
2. What does Corliss want to buy the white woman she encounters at the Student Union?
3. Which of the following statements describes Richard's mother?
4. What does the unnamed man who is the main character of "Do Not Go Gentle" call sorrow?
5. Why does the man in "Do Not Go Gentle" think his wife is sadder than he is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the touches of humor in "Can I Get a Witness?"
2. What are the similarities between the man and woman who meet after the bombing in "Can I Get a Witness"?
3. Before he encounters Bill and the lawyer's basketball league, does Richard's career path seem to be leading him to his goal of the Senate and the White House?
4. Are there any parallels between the bombing of the Good Food Restaurant in "Can I Get a Witness" and the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center?
5. Who is the antagonist in "Lawyer's League" and what helps identify that character as the villain/villainess?
6. Discuss the influence of Native American culture on the life of the woman in "Can I Get a Witness?"
7. How does the woman's inability to get her waiter's attention at the beginning of "Can I Get a Witness" symbolize her relationship with her husband and sons?
8. What do Corliss's apartment and the way it is furnished indicate about Corliss?
9. What is Richard's relationship with Teresa and how does it compare with what he wishes it was?
10. Explain why Corliss identifies so strongly with Harlan Atwater.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast three of the following African American characters from Ten Little Indians: William from "Lawyer's League," Fekadu from "Flight Patterns," and Preacher, Russell, or the point guard from "What Ever Happened to Frank Snake Church?" Do the African-American characters treat the Native American characters differently than white characters do? Do the Native American characters feel differently about the African-American characters than they do about the white characters? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Education is one of the themes in the stories in Ten Little Indians. Pick any three of the following stories and discuss the theme of education in each story: "The Search Engine," "Lawyer's League," "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above," and "What Ever Happened to Frank Snake Church?" What do you think the author is trying to say about education through these stories? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Parenting is a theme in many of the stories in Ten Little Indians. Compare and contrast the parents in "Do Not Go Gentle" with Estelle in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and Corliss's parents in "The Search Engine." How does each set of parents deal with the blending of Native American culture and mainstream American culture in the raising of their children? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,551 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)