|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does "The Search Engine" take place?
2. To what kind of dinner is Richard invited?
3. How does Corliss pay for the SAT-prep course that won her a dozen academic scholarships for college?
4. To where does the man carry the woman at the end of "Can I Get a Witness?"
5. In "The Search Engine," what is the title of Harlan Atwater's poetry book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the last line of "Lawyer's League" in which Richard says, "Do you understand I have a limited range of motion"?
2. Discuss the influence of Native American culture on the life of the woman in "Can I Get a Witness?"
3. Before he encounters Bill and the lawyer's basketball league, does Richard's career path seem to be leading him to his goal of the Senate and the White House?
4. Why don't the parents in "Do Not Go Gentle" name their baby at the beginning of the story?
5. How does the woman's inability to get her waiter's attention at the beginning of "Can I Get a Witness" symbolize her relationship with her husband and sons?
6. What does the opening scene of "The Search Engine" in which Corliss watches the young couple in the student union cafe foreshadow?
7. What is Richard's relationship with Teresa and how does it compare with what he wishes it was?
8. Do any of the lawyers respect Richard?
9. Why does the father in "Do Not Go Gentle" think his wife is more sorrowful than he is over their son's critical condition?
10. What do Corliss's apartment and the way it is furnished indicate about Corliss?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" contains many numbered lists, notices of historical revision, and questions and answers marked Q and A. What do you think this unusual method of structure indicates about the character of the male narrator and what do you think Sherman Alexie is trying to convey in this unique format? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Education is one of the themes in the stories in Ten Little Indians. Pick any three of the following stories and discuss the theme of education in each story: "The Search Engine," "Lawyer's League," "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above," and "What Ever Happened to Frank Snake Church?" What do you think the author is trying to say about education through these stories? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Grief and depression are themes in "Can I Get a Witness," "Do Not Go Gentle," and "What Ever Happened to Frank Snake Church?" Discuss how these themes are handled in each story and how each character copes with emotional pain. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,514 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)