|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What story does Sharon tell at every family gathering during her long marriage to David?
(a) Their first meeting story.
(b) Their first child's birth story.
(c) Their wedding day story.
(d) The lost cat story.
2. How long has it been since the taxi driver in "Flight Patterns" has seen his children?
(a) Two years.
(b) Many years.
(c) One year.
(d) One month.
3. Once David and she find the cat, what does Sharon remember seeing in the newspaper the previous week?
(a) A want ad for her dream job.
(b) A lost-cat ad.
(c) A photo of her rival for David.
(d) An ad for engagement rings.
4. What happens to Sharon when she and David are sixty-six years old?
(a) She falls in love with another man.
(b) She breaks a hip.
(c) She develops a terminal case of cancer.
(d) She catches a burglar.
5. From where is the taxi driver in "Flight Patterns"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Estelle do after she spots the woman in the white dress?
2. Who is Estelle's son engaged to when he meets the woman he eventually marries?
3. When Sharon calls David a liar at the end of "Do You Know Where I Am?", how many times does David say he has lied to his wife?
4. How much money does Jackson win at the lottery?
5. What does David's mother do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can't Fekadu return to Ethiopia?
2. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what is David's family background and is it the stereotypical background for an Indian?
3. How are white people depicted in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and how does this depiction compare to Estelle's opinion of white people?
4. What is Jackson's relationship with Kay?
5. Why does Jackson consider himself an "effective" homeless man?
6. Describe what Sharon and David do with their children on the day Sharon confesses her infidelity and what it indicates about Sharon and David's relationship.
7. Describe Estelle's relationship with her son in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above."
8. How does the lost cat illustrate the story's theme of redemption in "Do You Know Where I Am?"
9. What factors do you think contribute to and help perpetuate Jackson's homelessness in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem"?
10. Describe Jackson's relationship with Officer Williams in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem."
This section contains 1,245 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)