|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sharon give David for his fortieth birthday?
(a) A Tarot card reading.
(b) A set of golf clubs.
(c) A T-shirt referring to the lost cat.
(d) A painting.
2. How many children do David and Sharon have?
3. What does Marie in "Flight Patterns" do for a living?
(a) She's a stay-at-home wife and mom.
(b) She's a secretary.
(c) She's a model.
(d) She's a teacher.
4. What identifies the regalia in the pawnshop window as the property of the person to whom Jackson thinks it once belonged?
(a) The red fringe.
(b) A stain on the sleeve.
(c) A yellow bead under the armpits.
(d) The design of the beadwork.
5. What kind of work does William do?
(a) He's a salesman.
(b) He drives a semi.
(c) He's an accountant.
(d) He programs computers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do both Estelle and her son do for a living?
2. How is Marie's hair in "Flight Patterns"?
3. What do Estelle and her son frequently forget?
4. What happens to Sharon when she and David are sixty-six years old?
5. Who does William call at the end of "Flight Patterns"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What factors do you think contribute to and help perpetuate Jackson's homelessness in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem"?
2. What are the similarities between Fekadu and William in "Flight Patterns"?
3. What is Real Change and how is it involved in Jackson's quest for his grandmother's regalia?
4. Why can't Fekadu return to Ethiopia?
5. Why do you think Estelle fails to help the bleeding woman in the final scene of the story and how does this failure affect her relationship with her son?
6. How does the title of the story "Do You Know Where I Am?" relate to the story?
7. How are white people depicted in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and how does this depiction compare to Estelle's opinion of white people?
8. What is William's relationship with his wife in "Flight Patterns"?
9. Regarding "Flight Patterns," discuss William's familiarity with Donna Fargo and Patsy Cline and what it indicates.
10. How does the lost cat illustrate the story's theme of redemption in "Do You Know Where I Am?"
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)