|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do David and Sharon meet in "Do You Know Where I Am?"
(a) In a hamburger restaurant.
(b) At high school.
(c) On the Spokane Indian reservation.
(d) At a Catholic college in Seattle.
2. How old is Estelle's son at the beginning of the story?
3. What kind of women are most of Estelle's friends?
(a) Spokane Indians.
(b) White liberals.
(c) Homeless women.
4. Where do David and Sharon find a lost cat?
(a) In a dumpster.
(b) In some blackberry bushes.
(c) In Sharon's college dorm.
(d) In an alley.
5. Whose pow-wow dance regalia does Jackson think he spots in a pawnshop window?
(a) His father's.
(b) His tribal chief's.
(c) His own.
(d) His grandmother's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sharon's confession initially make David want to do to her?
2. What does Jackson say is the only thing at which he's ever been good or effective?
3. Why did the taxi driver leave his birth country?
4. For what physical feature is Estelle's son known?
5. What did the taxi driver in "Flight Patterns" do for a living in his birth country?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Estelle's son say he doesn't know what an Indian is supposed to be?
2. Regarding "Flight Patterns," discuss William's familiarity with Donna Fargo and Patsy Cline and what it indicates.
3. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what is Sharon's family background and is it the stereotypical background for an Indian?
4. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what is David's family background and is it the stereotypical background for an Indian?
5. In what ways is the title "Flight Patterns" related to the story?
6. What is Jackson's relationship with Kay?
7. Describe Jackson's relationship with Officer Williams in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem."
8. Describe Estelle's relationship with her son in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above."
9. How does the title of the story "Do You Know Where I Am?" relate to the story?
10. Why can't Fekadu return to Ethiopia?
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)