|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Near the end of "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above," what do Estelle and her son notice on the back of the white dress of a woman walking along the street?
(a) A paint stain.
(b) A large blood stain.
(c) A large tear.
(d) A big grass stain.
2. What did the taxi driver study at Oxford?
3. What does Jackson buy with twenty of his last twenty-five dollars?
(b) A hotel room.
(c) Food for some hungry and homeless Aleut Indians.
(d) A shave and haircut.
4. From where is the taxi driver in "Flight Patterns"?
5. In what year does "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" begin?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Sharon's parents do for a living?
2. What kind of work does William do?
3. How long has it been since the taxi driver in "Flight Patterns" has seen his children?
4. What feminist book does Estelle make her son read?
5. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what does David do when the lost cat's owner comes to reclaim him.
Short Essay Questions
1. How are white people depicted in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and how does this depiction compare to Estelle's opinion of white people?
2. Why do you think Estelle fails to help the bleeding woman in the final scene of the story and how does this failure affect her relationship with her son?
3. In what ways is the title "Flight Patterns" related to the story?
4. Why does Estelle's son say he doesn't know what an Indian is supposed to be?
5. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what is David's family background and is it the stereotypical background for an Indian?
6. Describe what Sharon and David do with their children on the day Sharon confesses her infidelity and what it indicates about Sharon and David's relationship.
7. What are the similarities between Fekadu and William in "Flight Patterns"?
8. Why do you think Jackson is so eager to redeem his grandmother's powwow regalia?
9. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what is Sharon's family background and is it the stereotypical background for an Indian?
10. Why does Jackson consider himself an "effective" homeless man?
This section contains 1,250 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)