|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Marie's hair in "Flight Patterns"?
(a) Dyed blonde.
(b) Always unkempt and wild.
(d) Short and neatly brushed.
2. From where is the taxi driver in "Flight Patterns"?
3. What does Estelle do after she spots the woman in the white dress?
(a) Honks her horn at the woman.
(b) Stops her car but doesn't get out to assist the woman.
(c) Ignores the woman.
(d) Rolls down her window and beckons the woman.
4. Which of the following is not a trait Estelle's son identifies as a negative aspect of being an Indian?
(a) Educational opportunities.
(c) Misogyny and lateral violence.
(d) Low self-esteem.
5. What does Jackson buy with his initial twenty-five dollars?
(a) A haircut and shave.
(b) A hotel room.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does William wear his hair?
2. Why did the taxi driver leave his birth country?
3. In "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem," how long has Jackson been homeless?
4. How old is Estelle's son at the beginning of the story?
5. What does David's mother do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Estelle's son say he doesn't know what an Indian is supposed to be?
2. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what is Sharon's family background and is it the stereotypical background for an Indian?
3. What factors do you think contribute to and help perpetuate Jackson's homelessness in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem"?
4. In what ways is the title "Flight Patterns" related to the story?
5. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what is David's family background and is it the stereotypical background for an Indian?
6. What does Estelle decide to do the summer her son turns thirteen, and how does her decision affect her son?
7. Why does Jackson consider himself an "effective" homeless man?
8. In what ways does "Flight Patterns" reflect that it takes place in a post-September 11th world?
9. Describe Estelle's relationship with her son in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above."
10. Why do you think Jackson is so eager to redeem his grandmother's powwow regalia?
This section contains 1,258 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)