|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Estelle's son engaged to when he meets the woman he eventually marries?
(a) Estelle, a Spokane Indian woman.
(b) White Flower, a Spokane Indian woman.
(c) Mary, a Crow Indian woman.
(d) Cynthia, a liberal white woman.
2. What does Sharon confess to David one night in "Do You Know Where I Am?"
(a) She has gambled their mortgage money away.
(b) She's an alcoholic.
(c) She's been fired from her job.
(d) She's had an affair.
3. What does Estelle's son say at the end of the story that he and his mother have done all his life and will keep doing until one eventually buries the other?
(a) Loved and failed each other.
(b) Taught at the community college.
(c) Supported women's rights.
(d) Befriended white people.
4. For what does William in "Flight Patterns" always scan airports and airplanes?
(a) Attaché cases that look like they could be bombs.
(b) Security guards and cops.
(c) Little brown guys who reek of fundamentalism.
(d) Coffee and donuts.
5. How is Marie's hair in "Flight Patterns"?
(a) Always unkempt and wild.
(c) Dyed blonde.
(d) Short and neatly brushed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David's mother do for a living?
2. How does Jackson get the pow-wow regalia at the end of "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem"?
3. What does Jackson say is the only thing at which he's ever been good or effective?
4. What does Jackson try to sell to earn money to redeem the pow-wow regalia from the pawnshop?
5. What does Marie in "Flight Patterns" do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Estelle Walks Above change her name?
2. Why do you think Jackson is so eager to redeem his grandmother's powwow regalia?
3. How does the lost cat illustrate the story's theme of redemption in "Do You Know Where I Am?"
4. With their education and prosperity, David and Sharon are well assimilated into mainstream American culture. Does "Do You Know Where I Am?" contain examples of the effects of Native American culture in their lives?
5. How are white people depicted in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and how does this depiction compare to Estelle's opinion of white people?
6. Regarding "Flight Patterns," discuss William's familiarity with Donna Fargo and Patsy Cline and what it indicates.
7. Describe Estelle's relationship with her son in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above."
8. Why do you think Estelle fails to help the bleeding woman in the final scene of the story and how does this failure affect her relationship with her son?
9. Describe what Sharon and David do with their children on the day Sharon confesses her infidelity and what it indicates about Sharon and David's relationship.
10. Why can't Fekadu return to Ethiopia?
This section contains 1,334 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)