|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does David's mother do for a living?
(a) She's a dentist.
(b) She's a corporate attorney.
(c) She's an actress.
(d) She's a seamstress.
2. How many questions does Sharon tell David he can ask about what she confesses to him?
(a) As many as he wants.
3. Who is Estelle's son engaged to when he meets the woman he eventually marries?
(a) Estelle, a Spokane Indian woman.
(b) Cynthia, a liberal white woman.
(c) Mary, a Crow Indian woman.
(d) White Flower, a Spokane Indian woman.
4. Who gives Jackson his first twenty dollars for redeeming the pow-wow regalia from the pawn shop?
(b) Officer Williams.
(c) Rose of Sharon.
(d) The pawnshop owner.
5. Who does William call at the end of "Flight Patterns"?
(b) His neighbor.
(d) His boss.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does the pawnshop owner tell Jackson it will cost to redeem the regalia?
2. What kind of women are most of Estelle's friends?
3. Which of the following statements is not marital advice Estelle gives her son?
4. What does Jackson do with his lottery winnings?
5. What do Estelle and her son frequently forget?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Estelle fails to help the bleeding woman in the final scene of the story and how does this failure affect her relationship with her son?
2. What factors do you think contribute to and help perpetuate Jackson's homelessness in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem"?
3. In what ways is the title "Flight Patterns" related to the story?
4. How are white people depicted in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and how does this depiction compare to Estelle's opinion of white people?
5. How does the lost cat illustrate the story's theme of redemption in "Do You Know Where I Am?"
6. In what ways does "Flight Patterns" reflect that it takes place in a post-September 11th world?
7. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what is David's family background and is it the stereotypical background for an Indian?
8. Describe what Sharon and David do with their children on the day Sharon confesses her infidelity and what it indicates about Sharon and David's relationship.
9. What are the similarities between Fekadu and William in "Flight Patterns"?
10. How does the title of the story "Do You Know Where I Am?" relate to the story?
This section contains 1,382 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)