|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marie in "Flight Patterns" do for a living?
(a) She's a secretary.
(b) She's a stay-at-home wife and mom.
(c) She's a model.
(d) She's a teacher.
2. What kind of Indian is Sharon?
3. Whose pow-wow dance regalia does Jackson think he spots in a pawnshop window?
(a) His tribal chief's.
(b) His father's.
(c) His own.
(d) His grandmother's.
4. What health problem does William have?
(a) High blood pressure.
(c) An ulcer.
5. How does Jackson get the pow-wow regalia at the end of "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem"?
(a) The pawnshop owner gives it to him.
(b) Officer Williams loans him the money to redeem it.
(c) He wins the lottery and redeems it.
(d) He steals it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of Indian is David?
2. What does Estelle do after she spots the woman in the white dress?
3. Which of the following is something William does?
4. What does David's mother do for a living?
5. What is Estelle's real name in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jackson's relationship with Officer Williams in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem."
2. Why can't Fekadu return to Ethiopia?
3. How does the lost cat illustrate the story's theme of redemption in "Do You Know Where I Am?"
4. Why does Jackson consider himself an "effective" homeless man?
5. Why do you think Estelle fails to help the bleeding woman in the final scene of the story and how does this failure affect her relationship with her son?
6. Describe what Sharon and David do with their children on the day Sharon confesses her infidelity and what it indicates about Sharon and David's relationship.
7. Describe Estelle's relationship with her son in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above."
8. How are white people depicted in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and how does this depiction compare to Estelle's opinion of white people?
9. With their education and prosperity, David and Sharon are well assimilated into mainstream American culture. Does "Do You Know Where I Am?" contain examples of the effects of Native American culture in their lives?
10. Why does Estelle's son say he doesn't know what an Indian is supposed to be?
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)