|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children do David and Sharon have?
2. What did the taxi driver in "Flight Patterns" do for a living in his birth country?
(a) He was a doctor.
(b) He was a lawyer.
(c) He was a jet-fighter pilot.
(d) He was a rabbi.
3. Why do David and Sharon each spend their college graduation day alone?
(a) They graduate from different schools.
(b) They are each moving to different cities.
(c) Their families don't like each other.
(d) They break up temporarily because of David's lie.
4. Why is the regalia Jackson spots in the pawnshop window no longer in the possession of its rightful owner?
(a) The original owner gave it away.
(b) The original owner sold it.
(c) The original owner pawned it.
(d) It was stolen fifty years earlier.
5. How is Marie's hair in "Flight Patterns"?
(a) Always unkempt and wild.
(b) Short and neatly brushed.
(c) Dyed blonde.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is something William does?
2. Once David and she find the cat, what does Sharon remember seeing in the newspaper the previous week?
3. What does Jackson buy with twenty of his last twenty-five dollars?
4. Near the end of "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above," what do Estelle and her son notice on the back of the white dress of a woman walking along the street?
5. Which of the following is not a trait Estelle's son identifies as a negative aspect of being an Indian?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Jackson is so eager to redeem his grandmother's powwow regalia?
2. What factors do you think contribute to and help perpetuate Jackson's homelessness in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem"?
3. Why do you think Estelle fails to help the bleeding woman in the final scene of the story and how does this failure affect her relationship with her son?
4. In what ways does "Flight Patterns" reflect that it takes place in a post-September 11th world?
5. Describe what Sharon and David do with their children on the day Sharon confesses her infidelity and what it indicates about Sharon and David's relationship.
6. What does Estelle decide to do the summer her son turns thirteen, and how does her decision affect her son?
7. Why does Jackson consider himself an "effective" homeless man?
8. Describe Jackson's relationship with Officer Williams in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem."
9. How are white people depicted in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and how does this depiction compare to Estelle's opinion of white people?
10. How does the lost cat illustrate the story's theme of redemption in "Do You Know Where I Am?"
This section contains 1,413 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)