|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What story does Sharon tell at every family gathering during her long marriage to David?
(a) Their wedding day story.
(b) The lost cat story.
(c) Their first child's birth story.
(d) Their first meeting story.
2. What does Estelle's son say white people often think Indians are?
(a) Shamanic geniuses.
(b) Poor and uneducated.
3. Which of the following is something William does?
(a) Eats processed sugar.
(c) Declines to take pills.
4. What happens to Sharon when she and David are sixty-six years old?
(a) She breaks a hip.
(b) She catches a burglar.
(c) She develops a terminal case of cancer.
(d) She falls in love with another man.
5. In what year does "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" begin?
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does William sometimes fantasize?
2. From where is the taxi driver in "Flight Patterns"?
3. What does Jackson try to sell to earn money to redeem the pow-wow regalia from the pawnshop?
4. What does Sharon confess to David one night in "Do You Know Where I Am?"
5. How long has it been since the taxi driver in "Flight Patterns" has seen his children?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Estelle's son say he doesn't know what an Indian is supposed to be?
2. What is Real Change and how is it involved in Jackson's quest for his grandmother's regalia?
3. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what is David's family background and is it the stereotypical background for an Indian?
4. How does the lost cat illustrate the story's theme of redemption in "Do You Know Where I Am?"
5. Describe Jackson's relationship with Officer Williams in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem."
6. With their education and prosperity, David and Sharon are well assimilated into mainstream American culture. Does "Do You Know Where I Am?" contain examples of the effects of Native American culture in their lives?
7. Regarding "Flight Patterns," discuss William's familiarity with Donna Fargo and Patsy Cline and what it indicates.
8. Describe what Sharon and David do with their children on the day Sharon confesses her infidelity and what it indicates about Sharon and David's relationship.
9. What factors do you think contribute to and help perpetuate Jackson's homelessness in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem"?
10. What are the similarities between Fekadu and William in "Flight Patterns"?
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)