|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What feminist book does Estelle make her son read?
(a) The Feminine Mystique.
(b) Our Bodies, Ourselves.
(c) Radical Feminism.
(d) Moving the Mountain.
2. How many questions does Sharon tell David he can ask about what she confesses to him?
(d) As many as he wants.
3. What do Estelle and her son frequently forget?
(a) Where they park their cars.
(b) Their address.
(c) Their birthdays.
(d) Their students' names.
4. What is Estelle's real name in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above"?
(a) Estelle Miller.
(b) Estelle Red Blanket.
(c) Sarah Jane Parker.
(d) Amanda Sue Dickerson.
5. What does Estelle's answering machine message say she's probably out doing?
(a) Parachuting from a plane.
(b) Bungee jumping.
(c) Romancing a man.
(d) Climbing a dormant volcano.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose pow-wow dance regalia does Jackson think he spots in a pawnshop window?
2. What kind of mental problem does Jackson have?
3. What does Marie in "Flight Patterns" do for a living?
4. What did the taxi driver study at Oxford?
5. Why is the regalia Jackson spots in the pawnshop window no longer in the possession of its rightful owner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Estelle Walks Above change her name?
2. With their education and prosperity, David and Sharon are well assimilated into mainstream American culture. Does "Do You Know Where I Am?" contain examples of the effects of Native American culture in their lives?
3. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what is David's family background and is it the stereotypical background for an Indian?
4. What factors do you think contribute to and help perpetuate Jackson's homelessness in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem"?
5. How does the title of the story "Do You Know Where I Am?" relate to the story?
6. Why do you think Estelle fails to help the bleeding woman in the final scene of the story and how does this failure affect her relationship with her son?
7. Why does Jackson consider himself an "effective" homeless man?
8. In what ways is the title "Flight Patterns" related to the story?
9. Why does Estelle's son say he doesn't know what an Indian is supposed to be?
10. What does Estelle decide to do the summer her son turns thirteen, and how does her decision affect her son?
This section contains 1,317 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)