|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Estelle's son engaged to when he meets the woman he eventually marries?
(a) White Flower, a Spokane Indian woman.
(b) Estelle, a Spokane Indian woman.
(c) Cynthia, a liberal white woman.
(d) Mary, a Crow Indian woman.
2. What health problem does William have?
(a) An ulcer.
(b) High blood pressure.
3. What do Sharon's parents do for a living?
(a) They're architects.
(b) They're musicians.
(c) They're lawyers.
(d) They own a convenience store.
4. How much money does Jackson win at the lottery?
(a) One million dollars.
(b) One hundred dollars.
(c) Ten dollars.
(d) Eight thousand dollars.
5. About what does William sometimes fantasize?
(a) Being a hero.
(b) Winning the lottery.
(c) A new job.
(d) Other women and possible lives with them.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does William in "Flight Patterns" always scan airports and airplanes?
2. Whose music is William listening to at the beginning of "Flight Patterns"?
3. How long does the pawnshop owner give Jackson to come back with the money to redeem the regalia?
4. What kind of Indian is Sharon?
5. What did the taxi driver study at Oxford?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does "Flight Patterns" reflect that it takes place in a post-September 11th world?
2. What is William's relationship with his wife in "Flight Patterns"?
3. Why does Jackson consider himself an "effective" homeless man?
4. How does the title of the story "Do You Know Where I Am?" relate to the story?
5. Why can't Fekadu return to Ethiopia?
6. Why does Estelle Walks Above change her name?
7. What is Real Change and how is it involved in Jackson's quest for his grandmother's regalia?
8. Describe what Sharon and David do with their children on the day Sharon confesses her infidelity and what it indicates about Sharon and David's relationship.
9. With their education and prosperity, David and Sharon are well assimilated into mainstream American culture. Does "Do You Know Where I Am?" contain examples of the effects of Native American culture in their lives?
10. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what is Sharon's family background and is it the stereotypical background for an Indian?
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)