|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Estelle and her son frequently forget?
(a) Their birthdays.
(b) Where they park their cars.
(c) Their address.
(d) Their students' names.
2. Once David and she find the cat, what does Sharon remember seeing in the newspaper the previous week?
(a) A want ad for her dream job.
(b) A lost-cat ad.
(c) A photo of her rival for David.
(d) An ad for engagement rings.
3. What did the taxi driver in "Flight Patterns" do for a living in his birth country?
(a) He was a lawyer.
(b) He was a jet-fighter pilot.
(c) He was a doctor.
(d) He was a rabbi.
4. What does Sharon give David for his fortieth birthday?
(a) A T-shirt referring to the lost cat.
(b) A set of golf clubs.
(c) A painting.
(d) A Tarot card reading.
5. Whose music is William listening to at the beginning of "Flight Patterns"?
(a) Patsy Cline's music.
(b) The Rolling Stones' music.
(c) The Beatles' music.
(d) Madonna's music.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Estelle's son say he sometimes feels like instead of her son?
2. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what does David do when the lost cat's owner comes to reclaim him.
3. What does Jackson buy with his initial twenty-five dollars?
4. How old is Estelle's son at the beginning of the story?
5. How many questions does Sharon tell David he can ask about what she confesses to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what is David's family background and is it the stereotypical background for an Indian?
2. Regarding "Flight Patterns," discuss William's familiarity with Donna Fargo and Patsy Cline and what it indicates.
3. With their education and prosperity, David and Sharon are well assimilated into mainstream American culture. Does "Do You Know Where I Am?" contain examples of the effects of Native American culture in their lives?
4. Describe what Sharon and David do with their children on the day Sharon confesses her infidelity and what it indicates about Sharon and David's relationship.
5. What is Jackson's relationship with Kay?
6. Why do you think Jackson is so eager to redeem his grandmother's powwow regalia?
7. How does the lost cat illustrate the story's theme of redemption in "Do You Know Where I Am?"
8. Why does Estelle Walks Above change her name?
9. Why do you think Estelle fails to help the bleeding woman in the final scene of the story and how does this failure affect her relationship with her son?
10. Why does Jackson consider himself an "effective" homeless man?
This section contains 1,316 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)