|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of work does William do?
(a) He drives a semi.
(b) He programs computers.
(c) He's a salesman.
(d) He's an accountant.
2. What did the taxi driver in "Flight Patterns" do for a living in his birth country?
(a) He was a doctor.
(b) He was a lawyer.
(c) He was a jet-fighter pilot.
(d) He was a rabbi.
3. Whose music is William listening to at the beginning of "Flight Patterns"?
(a) Madonna's music.
(b) The Beatles' music.
(c) The Rolling Stones' music.
(d) Patsy Cline's music.
4. What kind of women are most of Estelle's friends?
(a) Spokane Indians.
(c) White liberals.
(d) Homeless women.
5. What does Sharon give David for his fortieth birthday?
(a) A Tarot card reading.
(b) A set of golf clubs.
(c) A painting.
(d) A T-shirt referring to the lost cat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Estelle do after she spots the woman in the white dress?
2. In "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem," how long has Jackson been homeless?
3. How long has it been since the taxi driver in "Flight Patterns" has seen his children?
4. What does Jackson say is the only thing at which he's ever been good or effective?
5. What does Estelle's son like about Indian men?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what is Sharon's family background and is it the stereotypical background for an Indian?
2. How does the title of the story "Do You Know Where I Am?" relate to the story?
3. Why do you think Estelle fails to help the bleeding woman in the final scene of the story and how does this failure affect her relationship with her son?
4. Why do you think Jackson is so eager to redeem his grandmother's powwow regalia?
5. Describe Jackson's relationship with Officer Williams in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem."
6. How are white people depicted in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and how does this depiction compare to Estelle's opinion of white people?
7. Why does Estelle Walks Above change her name?
8. How does the lost cat illustrate the story's theme of redemption in "Do You Know Where I Am?"
9. Describe Estelle's relationship with her son in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above."
10. Regarding "Flight Patterns," discuss William's familiarity with Donna Fargo and Patsy Cline and what it indicates.
This section contains 1,214 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)