|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Estelle do after she spots the woman in the white dress?
(a) Stops her car but doesn't get out to assist the woman.
(b) Rolls down her window and beckons the woman.
(c) Honks her horn at the woman.
(d) Ignores the woman.
2. What does Sharon's confession initially make David want to do to her?
(a) Shoot her.
(b) Confess his own affair.
(c) Leave her.
(d) Hit her.
3. How long does the pawnshop owner give Jackson to come back with the money to redeem the regalia?
(a) Ten days.
(b) Twenty-four hours.
(c) One week.
(d) Two weeks.
4. How is Marie's hair in "Flight Patterns"?
(a) Short and neatly brushed.
(b) Always unkempt and wild.
(c) Dyed blonde.
5. In "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem," how long has Jackson been homeless?
(a) Six months.
(b) Six years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) All his life.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many questions does Sharon tell David he can ask about what she confesses to him?
2. After Jackson spends his lottery winnings, who gives him another twenty-five dollars?
3. What do Estelle and her son frequently forget?
4. What did the taxi driver in "Flight Patterns" do for a living in his birth country?
5. What does Estelle's son say white people often think Indians are?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways is the title "Flight Patterns" related to the story?
2. How are white people depicted in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and how does this depiction compare to Estelle's opinion of white people?
3. Why does Estelle's son say he doesn't know what an Indian is supposed to be?
4. With their education and prosperity, David and Sharon are well assimilated into mainstream American culture. Does "Do You Know Where I Am?" contain examples of the effects of Native American culture in their lives?
5. Describe Jackson's relationship with Officer Williams in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem."
6. What is Real Change and how is it involved in Jackson's quest for his grandmother's regalia?
7. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what is Sharon's family background and is it the stereotypical background for an Indian?
8. What are the similarities between Fekadu and William in "Flight Patterns"?
9. Describe Estelle's relationship with her son in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above."
10. Why does Estelle Walks Above change her name?
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)