|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the taxi driver study at Oxford?
2. What kind of work does William do?
(a) He programs computers.
(b) He's a salesman.
(c) He drives a semi.
(d) He's an accountant.
3. How long has it been since the taxi driver in "Flight Patterns" has seen his children?
(a) Two years.
(b) Many years.
(c) One month.
(d) One year.
4. How does William wear his hair?
(b) He shaves his head.
(c) Long and in two braids.
(d) In a ponytail.
5. What does Sharon give David for his fortieth birthday?
(a) A T-shirt referring to the lost cat.
(b) A painting.
(c) A set of golf clubs.
(d) A Tarot card reading.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" begin?
2. Why do David and Sharon each spend their college graduation day alone?
3. What do both Estelle and her son do for a living?
4. Who is Estelle's son engaged to when he meets the woman he eventually marries?
5. How is Marie's hair in "Flight Patterns"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Sharon and David do with their children on the day Sharon confesses her infidelity and what it indicates about Sharon and David's relationship.
2. Describe Jackson's relationship with Officer Williams in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem."
3. Why do you think Jackson is so eager to redeem his grandmother's powwow regalia?
4. What is Real Change and how is it involved in Jackson's quest for his grandmother's regalia?
5. What is Jackson's relationship with Kay?
6. Regarding "Flight Patterns," discuss William's familiarity with Donna Fargo and Patsy Cline and what it indicates.
7. Why do you think Estelle fails to help the bleeding woman in the final scene of the story and how does this failure affect her relationship with her son?
8. With their education and prosperity, David and Sharon are well assimilated into mainstream American culture. Does "Do You Know Where I Am?" contain examples of the effects of Native American culture in their lives?
9. What does Estelle decide to do the summer her son turns thirteen, and how does her decision affect her son?
10. Why does Estelle's son say he doesn't know what an Indian is supposed to be?
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)