|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once David and she find the cat, what does Sharon remember seeing in the newspaper the previous week?
(a) A want ad for her dream job.
(b) A lost-cat ad.
(c) An ad for engagement rings.
(d) A photo of her rival for David.
2. What does Estelle's son say at the end of the story that he and his mother have done all his life and will keep doing until one eventually buries the other?
(a) Taught at the community college.
(b) Loved and failed each other.
(c) Supported women's rights.
(d) Befriended white people.
3. What does Marie want William to do instead of catch his plane?
(a) Go fishing.
(b) Drive the kids to school.
(c) Quit his job.
(d) Stay in bed and make love.
4. Which of the following is something William does?
(b) Declines to take pills.
(d) Eats processed sugar.
5. From where is the taxi driver in "Flight Patterns"?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Jackson initially have for redeeming the pow-wow regalia?
2. What does Sharon confess to David one night in "Do You Know Where I Am?"
3. For what does William in "Flight Patterns" always scan airports and airplanes?
4. Whose music is William listening to at the beginning of "Flight Patterns"?
5. How is Marie's hair in "Flight Patterns"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the title of the story "Do You Know Where I Am?" relate to the story?
2. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what is Sharon's family background and is it the stereotypical background for an Indian?
3. What is Jackson's relationship with Kay?
4. What are the similarities between Fekadu and William in "Flight Patterns"?
5. In what ways does "Flight Patterns" reflect that it takes place in a post-September 11th world?
6. Describe Estelle's relationship with her son in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above."
7. How are white people depicted in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and how does this depiction compare to Estelle's opinion of white people?
8. Why do you think Jackson is so eager to redeem his grandmother's powwow regalia?
9. Describe Jackson's relationship with Officer Williams in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem."
10. What factors do you think contribute to and help perpetuate Jackson's homelessness in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem"?
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)