|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of Indian is Sharon?
2. Who are Rose of Sharon and Junior in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem"?
(a) Jackson's neighbors.
(b) Jackson's children.
(c) Homeless friends who hang out with Jackson.
(d) Jackson's siblings.
3. Where do David and Sharon find a lost cat?
(a) In a dumpster.
(b) In some blackberry bushes.
(c) In Sharon's college dorm.
(d) In an alley.
4. What identifies the regalia in the pawnshop window as the property of the person to whom Jackson thinks it once belonged?
(a) A yellow bead under the armpits.
(b) A stain on the sleeve.
(c) The red fringe.
(d) The design of the beadwork.
5. What does Estelle's son say he sometimes feels like instead of her son?
(a) Her friend.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her boyfriend.
(d) Her student.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Sharon calls David a liar at the end of "Do You Know Where I Am?", how many times does David say he has lied to his wife?
2. What health problem does William have?
3. Once David and she find the cat, what does Sharon remember seeing in the newspaper the previous week?
4. How many children do David and Sharon have?
5. What does William's daughter in "Flight Patterns" fear will happen to him after September 11th?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Estelle's son say he doesn't know what an Indian is supposed to be?
2. Regarding "Flight Patterns," discuss William's familiarity with Donna Fargo and Patsy Cline and what it indicates.
3. Describe Estelle's relationship with her son in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above."
4. In what ways does "Flight Patterns" reflect that it takes place in a post-September 11th world?
5. Why can't Fekadu return to Ethiopia?
6. How does the title of the story "Do You Know Where I Am?" relate to the story?
7. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what is Sharon's family background and is it the stereotypical background for an Indian?
8. Describe what Sharon and David do with their children on the day Sharon confesses her infidelity and what it indicates about Sharon and David's relationship.
9. What is Jackson's relationship with Kay?
10. What factors do you think contribute to and help perpetuate Jackson's homelessness in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem"?
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)