|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does William's daughter in "Flight Patterns" fear will happen to him after September 11th?
(a) That he will leave her and Marie.
(b) That his plane will crash.
(c) That he will be mistaken for a terrorist.
(d) That his plane will be hijacked by terrorists.
2. What health problem does William have?
(a) High blood pressure.
(d) An ulcer.
3. Who is Estelle's son engaged to when he meets the woman he eventually marries?
(a) White Flower, a Spokane Indian woman.
(b) Cynthia, a liberal white woman.
(c) Estelle, a Spokane Indian woman.
(d) Mary, a Crow Indian woman.
4. How much money does Jackson initially have for redeeming the pow-wow regalia?
(a) Ten dollars.
(b) Five dollars.
(c) One dollar.
(d) Fifty cents.
5. What story does Sharon tell at every family gathering during her long marriage to David?
(a) Their wedding day story.
(b) The lost cat story.
(c) Their first meeting story.
(d) Their first child's birth story.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do David and Sharon each spend their college graduation day alone?
2. What does David's mother do for a living?
3. What does Marie want William to do instead of catch his plane?
4. Whose pow-wow dance regalia does Jackson think he spots in a pawnshop window?
5. How old is Estelle's son at the beginning of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are white people depicted in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and how does this depiction compare to Estelle's opinion of white people?
2. Describe Jackson's relationship with Officer Williams in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem."
3. Describe what Sharon and David do with their children on the day Sharon confesses her infidelity and what it indicates about Sharon and David's relationship.
4. What does Estelle decide to do the summer her son turns thirteen, and how does her decision affect her son?
5. Why does Estelle's son say he doesn't know what an Indian is supposed to be?
6. Why do you think Estelle fails to help the bleeding woman in the final scene of the story and how does this failure affect her relationship with her son?
7. What is William's relationship with his wife in "Flight Patterns"?
8. With their education and prosperity, David and Sharon are well assimilated into mainstream American culture. Does "Do You Know Where I Am?" contain examples of the effects of Native American culture in their lives?
9. Why does Estelle Walks Above change her name?
10. What factors do you think contribute to and help perpetuate Jackson's homelessness in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem"?
This section contains 1,284 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)