|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the taxi driver study at Oxford?
2. What does Sharon give David for his fortieth birthday?
(a) A T-shirt referring to the lost cat.
(b) A set of golf clubs.
(c) A painting.
(d) A Tarot card reading.
3. What kind of Indian is Sharon?
4. Near the end of "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above," what do Estelle and her son notice on the back of the white dress of a woman walking along the street?
(a) A big grass stain.
(b) A large tear.
(c) A large blood stain.
(d) A paint stain.
5. How is Marie's hair in "Flight Patterns"?
(a) Dyed blonde.
(b) Always unkempt and wild.
(d) Short and neatly brushed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story does Sharon tell at every family gathering during her long marriage to David?
2. Whose pow-wow dance regalia does Jackson think he spots in a pawnshop window?
3. Once David and she find the cat, what does Sharon remember seeing in the newspaper the previous week?
4. Who does William call at the end of "Flight Patterns"?
5. What does Marie want William to do instead of catch his plane?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Estelle's relationship with her son in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above."
2. Why do you think Estelle fails to help the bleeding woman in the final scene of the story and how does this failure affect her relationship with her son?
3. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what is Sharon's family background and is it the stereotypical background for an Indian?
4. What factors do you think contribute to and help perpetuate Jackson's homelessness in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem"?
5. Describe what Sharon and David do with their children on the day Sharon confesses her infidelity and what it indicates about Sharon and David's relationship.
6. What is Jackson's relationship with Kay?
7. Why do you think Jackson is so eager to redeem his grandmother's powwow regalia?
8. How are white people depicted in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and how does this depiction compare to Estelle's opinion of white people?
9. What are the similarities between Fekadu and William in "Flight Patterns"?
10. In what ways does "Flight Patterns" reflect that it takes place in a post-September 11th world?
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)