|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do David and Sharon find a lost cat?
(a) In a dumpster.
(b) In Sharon's college dorm.
(c) In some blackberry bushes.
(d) In an alley.
2. Who is Estelle's son engaged to when he meets the woman he eventually marries?
(a) Cynthia, a liberal white woman.
(b) White Flower, a Spokane Indian woman.
(c) Mary, a Crow Indian woman.
(d) Estelle, a Spokane Indian woman.
3. What kind of Indian is David?
4. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what does David do when the lost cat's owner comes to reclaim him.
(a) Offer to keep the cat.
(b) Demand a reward.
(c) Hide the cat so he can keep it.
(d) Lie about his role in finding the cat, taking all the credit.
5. Why do David and Sharon each spend their college graduation day alone?
(a) They break up temporarily because of David's lie.
(b) Their families don't like each other.
(c) They graduate from different schools.
(d) They are each moving to different cities.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of work does William do?
2. What does Estelle's answering machine message say she's probably out doing?
3. How does Jackson get the pow-wow regalia at the end of "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem"?
4. What does William's daughter in "Flight Patterns" fear will happen to him after September 11th?
5. After Jackson spends his lottery winnings, who gives him another twenty-five dollars?
Short Essay Questions
1. Regarding "Flight Patterns," discuss William's familiarity with Donna Fargo and Patsy Cline and what it indicates.
2. Why does Estelle Walks Above change her name?
3. What does Estelle decide to do the summer her son turns thirteen, and how does her decision affect her son?
4. How are white people depicted in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and how does this depiction compare to Estelle's opinion of white people?
5. In what ways does "Flight Patterns" reflect that it takes place in a post-September 11th world?
6. Why do you think Jackson is so eager to redeem his grandmother's powwow regalia?
7. In what ways is the title "Flight Patterns" related to the story?
8. What are the similarities between Fekadu and William in "Flight Patterns"?
9. Describe Jackson's relationship with Officer Williams in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem."
10. Describe Estelle's relationship with her son in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above."
This section contains 1,208 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)