|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children do David and Sharon have?
2. What does Estelle's son say at the end of the story that he and his mother have done all his life and will keep doing until one eventually buries the other?
(a) Taught at the community college.
(b) Befriended white people.
(c) Supported women's rights.
(d) Loved and failed each other.
3. How does Jackson get the pow-wow regalia at the end of "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem"?
(a) Officer Williams loans him the money to redeem it.
(b) He steals it.
(c) He wins the lottery and redeems it.
(d) The pawnshop owner gives it to him.
4. What did the taxi driver study at Oxford?
5. About what does William sometimes fantasize?
(a) Other women and possible lives with them.
(b) Winning the lottery.
(c) A new job.
(d) Being a hero.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose music is William listening to at the beginning of "Flight Patterns"?
2. What kind of Indian is Sharon?
3. What kind of mental problem does Jackson have?
4. Who is Estelle's son engaged to when he meets the woman he eventually marries?
5. Which of the following is something William does?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are white people depicted in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and how does this depiction compare to Estelle's opinion of white people?
2. What does Estelle decide to do the summer her son turns thirteen, and how does her decision affect her son?
3. Why does Estelle Walks Above change her name?
4. How does the lost cat illustrate the story's theme of redemption in "Do You Know Where I Am?"
5. What is William's relationship with his wife in "Flight Patterns"?
6. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what is Sharon's family background and is it the stereotypical background for an Indian?
7. In what ways does "Flight Patterns" reflect that it takes place in a post-September 11th world?
8. Describe Estelle's relationship with her son in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above."
9. What factors do you think contribute to and help perpetuate Jackson's homelessness in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem"?
10. With their education and prosperity, David and Sharon are well assimilated into mainstream American culture. Does "Do You Know Where I Am?" contain examples of the effects of Native American culture in their lives?
This section contains 1,261 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)