|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jackson buy with twenty of his last twenty-five dollars?
(a) A shave and haircut.
(b) Food for some hungry and homeless Aleut Indians.
(c) A hotel room.
2. What did the taxi driver study at Oxford?
3. How long has it been since the taxi driver in "Flight Patterns" has seen his children?
(a) One year.
(b) Two years.
(c) Many years.
(d) One month.
4. About what does William sometimes fantasize?
(a) Being a hero.
(b) Winning the lottery.
(c) A new job.
(d) Other women and possible lives with them.
5. Which of the following statements is not marital advice Estelle gives her son?
(a) Do the laundry.
(b) Give your wife expensive gifts.
(d) Wash dishes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David's mother do for a living?
2. What does Jackson say is the only thing at which he's ever been good or effective?
3. Where do David and Sharon meet in "Do You Know Where I Am?"
4. How long does the pawnshop owner give Jackson to come back with the money to redeem the regalia?
5. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what does David do when the lost cat's owner comes to reclaim him.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Estelle Walks Above change her name?
2. What does Estelle decide to do the summer her son turns thirteen, and how does her decision affect her son?
3. With their education and prosperity, David and Sharon are well assimilated into mainstream American culture. Does "Do You Know Where I Am?" contain examples of the effects of Native American culture in their lives?
4. Describe Estelle's relationship with her son in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above."
5. How does the lost cat illustrate the story's theme of redemption in "Do You Know Where I Am?"
6. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what is Sharon's family background and is it the stereotypical background for an Indian?
7. How are white people depicted in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and how does this depiction compare to Estelle's opinion of white people?
8. What is Jackson's relationship with Kay?
9. Describe Jackson's relationship with Officer Williams in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem."
10. Why does Estelle's son say he doesn't know what an Indian is supposed to be?
This section contains 1,191 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)