|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" doing on September 11th when the World Trade Center attacks occurred?
(a) Collating files at the law firm where she works.
(b) Flying to Washington, DC.
(c) Shopping in New York.
(d) Taking her children to school.
2. What does Corliss learn about Harlan Atwater from his interview in Radical Seattle Weekly?
(a) He is blind.
(b) He has also written short stories.
(c) He claims to be sacred, traditional, and connected to his tribe.
(d) He is dying of cancer.
3. Which of the following is not a way Corliss gets a prep school education in high school without attending an expensive prep school?
(a) Prep school teachers tutor her for free.
(b) Prep school teachers fax her study guides.
(c) Prep school teachers send her their reading lists.
(d) Prep school teachers fax her sample student papers.
4. How old is Corliss in "The Search Engine"?
5. Which of the following statements describes the father of Richard, the narrator in "Lawyer's League"?
(a) A white pro basketball player.
(b) A Spokane Indian pro basketball star.
(c) An African American politician.
(d) An African American who played defensive end in college.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does not describe the physical appearance of Corliss?
2. What does Richard imagine at the end of "Lawyer's League"?
3. In "Can I Get a Witness?", how does the woman feel about her husband?
4. What happens when Bill tells Richard to "go home, son"?
5. Where is the man in "Do Not Go Gentle" when he falls into a waking sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mr. Grief in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
2. What are the similarities between the man and woman who meet after the bombing in "Can I Get a Witness"?
3. Discuss the influence of Native American culture on the life of the woman in "Can I Get a Witness?"
4. What does Richard think most Native American politicians are like?
5. Explain why Corliss identifies so strongly with Harlan Atwater.
6. How is it ironic that Bill is the only prosecutor in the lawyer's basketball league?
7. How does Corliss differ from the rest of her family?
8. Do you think the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" is thinking clearly after the bombing, or do you think her head injury affects her speech and behavior?
9. Are there any parallels between the bombing of the Good Food Restaurant in "Can I Get a Witness" and the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center?
10. Who is the antagonist in "Lawyer's League" and what helps identify that character as the villain/villainess?
This section contains 1,445 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)