|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Corliss in "The Search Engine"?
2. Who is the woman unable to find at the beginning of "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) Her boss.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her sons.
(d) Her waiter.
3. Why don't the parents of the baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" name their son at the beginning of the story?
(a) They don't think he'll live.
(b) They might give their child up for adoption.
(c) They don't want the child.
(d) They haven't thought up a good name yet.
4. Which of the following statements does not describe the man who asks the female main character in "Can I Get a Witness" if she's okay after the bombing?
(a) A tall Asian.
(b) A short forty-something Caucasian.
(c) Handsome with kind eyes and a mustache.
(d) Twenty pounds overweight.
5. Which of the following statements does not describe Richard's job experiences?
(a) He interned for the first African American mayor of Seattle.
(b) He manages the Native Voices Now voter registration drive.
(c) He edited a Seattle newspaper.
(d) He worked for the first Chinese American governor in the US.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe how the woman has fantasized she would behave if she had been caught in the Twin Towers on September 11th?
2. Where does the father in "Do Not Go Gentle" shop for a toy for his baby?
3. What happens to the baby at the end of "Do Not Go Gentle"?
4. Which of the following statements does not describe the bomber in "Can I Get a Witness?"
5. What happens when Bill tells Richard to "go home, son"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why don't the parents in "Do Not Go Gentle" name their baby at the beginning of the story?
2. Who is Mr. Grief in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
3. What are the similarities between the man and woman who meet after the bombing in "Can I Get a Witness"?
4. What unconventional thoughts does the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" have about the victims of September 11th?
5. Before he encounters Bill and the lawyer's basketball league, does Richard's career path seem to be leading him to his goal of the Senate and the White House?
6. How is it ironic that Bill is the only prosecutor in the lawyer's basketball league?
7. Why does the father in "Do Not Go Gentle" think his wife is more sorrowful than he is over their son's critical condition?
8. Discuss the influence of Native American culture on the life of the woman in "Can I Get a Witness?"
9. How does the woman's inability to get her waiter's attention at the beginning of "Can I Get a Witness" symbolize her relationship with her husband and sons?
10. Why do you think Chocolate Thunder appeals to the father in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
This section contains 1,530 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)