|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of store does the man in "Do Not Go Gentle" mistakenly visit instead of a toy store?
(a) A sex toy store.
(b) A grocery store.
(c) A clothing store.
(d) A porn store.
2. According to the librarian, how many other people have checked out Harlan Atwater's book before Corliss?
(b) One hundred.
(d) One thousand.
3. How does Corliss pay for the SAT-prep course that won her a dozen academic scholarships for college?
(a) She collects aluminum cans.
(b) She works as a waitress.
(c) She gets babysitting jobs.
(d) Her grandmother loans her the money.
4. In "The Search Engine," what poet does the man in the Student Union quote at the beginning of the story?
5. Which of the following statements does not describe how the woman has fantasized she would behave if she had been caught in the Twin Towers on September 11th?
(a) She would have let her family think she had died.
(b) She would have walked away and started a new life.
(c) She would have disappeared.
(d) She would have helped them escape the Twin Towers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bill say when Richard dunks the basketball?
2. Why does the man in "Do Not Go Gentle" think his wife is sadder than he is?
3. When the man can't get 911 and dials other numbers to test the phone service after the bombing, what is the only number that answers?
4. Why do crowds gather to listen to the man and his wife in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
5. Why is Corliss drawn to Harlan Atwater's poetry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Richard's relationship with Teresa and how does it compare with what he wishes it was?
2. What unconventional thoughts does the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" have about the victims of September 11th?
3. Who is Mr. Grief in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
4. Why don't the parents in "Do Not Go Gentle" name their baby at the beginning of the story?
5. What is the significance of Harlan Atwater not giving his real name to Corliss?
6. How does Corliss differ from the rest of her family?
7. What do Corliss's apartment and the way it is furnished indicate about Corliss?
8. Who is the antagonist in "Lawyer's League" and what helps identify that character as the villain/villainess?
9. Are there any parallels between the bombing of the Good Food Restaurant in "Can I Get a Witness" and the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center?
10. What does the opening scene of "The Search Engine" in which Corliss watches the young couple in the student union cafe foreshadow?
This section contains 1,435 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)