|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Corliss searches for information about Harlan Atwater, what does she find out when she e-mails other Indian writers and poets?
(a) Atwater is the pen name of a white man.
(b) Nothing, none of the other writers has ever heard of him.
(c) Atwater is good friends with a well known Indian novelist.
(d) Atwater is really a woman.
2. Where does the father in "Do Not Go Gentle" shop for a toy for his baby?
(a) The hospital gift shop.
(b) The reservation trading post.
(c) Toys R Us.
(d) Toys in Babeland.
3. What kind of lawyers are most of the players on Steve's team?
(a) Public defenders.
(b) Tax attorneys.
(c) Divorce lawyers.
4. To where does the man carry the woman at the end of "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) To the hospital.
(b) To her home.
(c) To his bed to make love to her.
(d) To the police.
5. What kind of toys does the father in "Do Not Go Gentle" intend to buy for his son?
(a) Teddy bears, a rattle, and an educational toy.
(c) Blocks and a stuffed panda.
(d) Interactive toys.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Richard grow up?
2. Why is Corliss drawn to Harlan Atwater's poetry?
3. Which of the following statements does not describe how the woman has fantasized she would behave if she had been caught in the Twin Towers on September 11th?
4. Why do crowds gather to listen to the man and his wife in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
5. When Bill keeps protesting every basket Richard makes, what do the other lawyers suggest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" is thinking clearly after the bombing, or do you think her head injury affects her speech and behavior?
2. What do Corliss's apartment and the way it is furnished indicate about Corliss?
3. How does Corliss think white people feel about Indians?
4. Who is the antagonist in "Lawyer's League" and what helps identify that character as the villain/villainess?
5. What is the significance of the last line of "Lawyer's League" in which Richard says, "Do you understand I have a limited range of motion"?
6. Why do you think the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" wants the man to take her to his home after the bombing rather than to hers?
7. Explain how overhearing the other fathers in the hospital bathroom motivates the father in "Do Not Go Gentle."
8. Do any of the lawyers respect Richard?
9. How does Corliss differ from the rest of her family?
10. Before he encounters Bill and the lawyer's basketball league, does Richard's career path seem to be leading him to his goal of the Senate and the White House?
This section contains 1,490 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)