|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Bill keeps protesting every basket Richard makes, what do the other lawyers suggest?
(a) That Richard challenge Bill.
(b) That Bill be asked to leave the game.
(c) That Richard go home.
(d) That Bill and Richard both leave the game.
2. How old is the mother of the ailing baby in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
3. What does Corliss learn about Harlan Atwater from his interview in Radical Seattle Weekly?
(a) He is dying of cancer.
(b) He is blind.
(c) He has also written short stories.
(d) He claims to be sacred, traditional, and connected to his tribe.
4. Why doesn't Corliss want a white roommate?
(a) She is ashamed of her poverty and thinks whites are rich.
(b) Her tribe wants her to socialize with other Indians only.
(c) She wants a male Indian roommate instead.
(d) White people romanticize Indians as wise and spiritual.
5. What did the man's ex-wife used to call him in "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) Honey Bunny.
(b) Mr. Funny.
(c) Big Loser.
(d) Mr. Happy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bill's nickname in "Lawyer's League"?
2. At the dinner Richard attends, how many other single people are seated at his table?
3. What does Corliss want to buy the white woman she encounters at the Student Union?
4. Which of the following statements does not describe what Corliss learns about Harlan Atwater when she finally meets him face to face?
5. How many times does the baby die and get resuscitated?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the antagonist in "Lawyer's League" and what helps identify that character as the villain/villainess?
2. Why don't the parents in "Do Not Go Gentle" name their baby at the beginning of the story?
3. What does the opening scene of "The Search Engine" in which Corliss watches the young couple in the student union cafe foreshadow?
4. How does Corliss think white people feel about Indians?
5. How does Corliss differ from the rest of her family?
6. Why does the father in "Do Not Go Gentle" think his wife is more sorrowful than he is over their son's critical condition?
7. Discuss the touches of humor in "Can I Get a Witness?"
8. What is Richard's relationship with Teresa and how does it compare with what he wishes it was?
9. What is the significance of Harlan Atwater not giving his real name to Corliss?
10. What do Corliss's visits to McDonald's illustrate?
This section contains 1,201 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)