|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the woman who is the main character of "Can I Get a Witness?" doing at the beginning of the story?
(a) Working at a law firm.
(b) Taking her child to school.
(c) Having an affair.
(d) Eating lunch at a restaurant.
2. How does the woman respond when the man asks her if she was inside the place that just got bombed?
(a) She says nothing.
(b) She says yes.
(c) She lies and says no.
(d) She faints.
3. What did the man's ex-wife used to call him in "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) Honey Bunny.
(b) Big Loser.
(c) Mr. Funny.
(d) Mr. Happy.
4. What kind of store does the man in "Do Not Go Gentle" mistakenly visit instead of a toy store?
(a) A porn store.
(b) A grocery store.
(c) A sex toy store.
(d) A clothing store.
5. What school does Corliss attend?
(d) Washington State University.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what kind of dinner is Richard invited?
2. When the man can't get 911 and dials other numbers to test the phone service after the bombing, what is the only number that answers?
3. How many other published Spokane Indian poets are there in "The Search Engine" besides Harlan Atwater?
4. To where does the man carry the woman at the end of "Can I Get a Witness?"
5. Why do crowds gather to listen to the man and his wife in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it ironic that Bill is the only prosecutor in the lawyer's basketball league?
2. Are there any parallels between the bombing of the Good Food Restaurant in "Can I Get a Witness" and the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center?
3. Before he encounters Bill and the lawyer's basketball league, does Richard's career path seem to be leading him to his goal of the Senate and the White House?
4. How does the woman's inability to get her waiter's attention at the beginning of "Can I Get a Witness" symbolize her relationship with her husband and sons?
5. What do Corliss's apartment and the way it is furnished indicate about Corliss?
6. Do you think the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" is thinking clearly after the bombing, or do you think her head injury affects her speech and behavior?
7. What do Corliss's visits to McDonald's illustrate?
8. Why don't the parents in "Do Not Go Gentle" name their baby at the beginning of the story?
9. How does Corliss differ from the rest of her family?
10. What Native American healing traditions do the parents of the dying baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" bring into the hospital?
This section contains 1,327 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)