|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe the bomber in "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) A Palestinian refugee.
(b) A doctoral student in economics.
(c) Raised in upper-class comfort.
(d) A Syrian American born in Seattle.
2. Which of the following does not describe Harlan Atwater's physical appearance in "The Search Engine"?
(a) Thick glasses.
(b) Dark-skinned yet pasty.
(c) Short and fat.
(d) Tall and handsome.
3. How many people survive the bomb explosion?
(a) Forty one.
(c) One hundred.
4. What does Corliss learn about Harlan Atwater from his interview in <i>Radical Seattle Weekly</i>?
(a) He is blind.
(b) He claims to be sacred, traditional, and connected to his tribe.
(c) He is dying of cancer.
(d) He has also written short stories.
5. How old is the female main character of "Can I Get a Witness?"
Short Answer Questions
1. To where does the man carry the woman at the end of "Can I Get a Witness?"
2. What kind of store does the man in "Do Not Go Gentle" mistakenly visit instead of a toy store?
3. Which of the following statements does not describe the woman's life in "Can I Get a Witness?"
4. At the dinner Richard attends, how many other single people are seated at his table?
5. What are the parents in "Do Not Go Gentle" and the other parents in the hospital sick and tired of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the influence of Native American culture on the life of the woman in "Can I Get a Witness?"
2. What Native American healing traditions do the parents of the dying baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" bring into the hospital?
3. Why can't Fekadu return to Ethiopia?
4. With their education and prosperity, David and Sharon are well assimilated into mainstream American culture. Does "Do You Know Where I Am?" contain examples of the effects of Native American culture in their lives?
5. Why does Estelle's son say he doesn't know what an Indian is supposed to be?
6. Why do you think the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" wants the man to take her to his home after the bombing rather than to hers?
7. How does the lost cat illustrate the story's theme of redemption in "Do You Know Where I Am?"
8. In what ways is the title "Flight Patterns" related to the story?
9. Why does Frank want to play basketball at age forty?
10. What does the opening scene of "The Search Engine" in which Corliss watches the young couple in the student union cafe foreshadow?
This section contains 1,434 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)