|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Corliss want a white roommate?
(a) White people romanticize Indians as wise and spiritual.
(b) Her tribe wants her to socialize with other Indians only.
(c) She wants a male Indian roommate instead.
(d) She is ashamed of her poverty and thinks whites are rich.
2. Where did Richard grow up?
3. What kind of lawyers are most of the players on Steve's team?
(a) Tax attorneys.
(b) Public defenders.
(d) Divorce lawyers.
4. How does the woman feel about her children in "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) She loves them.
(b) She hates them.
(c) She never wanted children.
(d) She wants more children.
5. Where is the man in "Do Not Go Gentle" when he falls into a waking sleep?
(a) A church pew.
(b) The hospital bathroom.
(c) A shaman's tipi.
(d) His son's bedside.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard imagine at the end of "Lawyer's League"?
2. What did the man's ex-wife used to call him in "Can I Get a Witness?"
3. What does Richard know about the other basketball players from lunchtime games with them?
4. What happens when Bill tells Richard to "go home, son"?
5. Why doesn't Corliss own her own computer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Before he encounters Bill and the lawyer's basketball league, does Richard's career path seem to be leading him to his goal of the Senate and the White House?
2. What is the significance of Harlan Atwater not giving his real name to Corliss?
3. Why do you think the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" wants the man to take her to his home after the bombing rather than to hers?
4. Explain why Corliss identifies so strongly with Harlan Atwater.
5. What unconventional thoughts does the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" have about the victims of September 11th?
6. Discuss the touches of humor in "Can I Get a Witness?"
7. What Native American healing traditions do the parents of the dying baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" bring into the hospital?
8. Why don't the parents in "Do Not Go Gentle" name their baby at the beginning of the story?
9. What do Corliss's apartment and the way it is furnished indicate about Corliss?
10. Are there any parallels between the bombing of the Good Food Restaurant in "Can I Get a Witness" and the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center?
This section contains 1,443 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)