|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the man in "Can I Get a Witness?" advise the only person he can get on the phone to do?
(a) Help rescue people from the bombing site.
(b) Help him get the woman to a hospital.
(c) Make free pizza for rescue workers.
(d) Quit his job.
2. What happens to the baby at the end of "Do Not Go Gentle"?
(a) He stays in his coma
(b) He recovers fully.
(c) He has a partial recovery.
(d) He dies.
3. Where is the man in "Do Not Go Gentle" when he falls into a waking sleep?
(a) A church pew.
(b) His son's bedside.
(c) A shaman's tipi.
(d) The hospital bathroom.
4. Which of the following is not a way Corliss gets a prep school education in high school without attending an expensive prep school?
(a) Prep school teachers send her their reading lists.
(b) Prep school teachers tutor her for free.
(c) Prep school teachers fax her sample student papers.
(d) Prep school teachers fax her study guides.
5. To what city does the woman to whom Richard is attracted at the dinner move?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man in "Do Not Go Gentle" overhear in his waking sleep?
2. What does the woman want to drink once she reaches the man's apartment?
3. What does Bill say when Richard dunks the basketball?
4. What kind of poetry does Harlan Atwater write in "The Search Engine"?
5. What "dirty secret" does Richard reveal about Indian tribal leaders at the beginning of "Lawyer's League"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What unconventional thoughts does the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" have about the victims of September 11th?
2. Why do you think the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" wants the man to take her to his home after the bombing rather than to hers?
3. Who is the antagonist in "Lawyer's League" and what helps identify that character as the villain/villainess?
4. How does the woman's inability to get her waiter's attention at the beginning of "Can I Get a Witness" symbolize her relationship with her husband and sons?
5. Explain why Corliss identifies so strongly with Harlan Atwater.
6. How does Corliss differ from the rest of her family?
7. What is the significance of Harlan Atwater not giving his real name to Corliss?
8. Who is Mr. Grief in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
9. What are the similarities between the man and woman who meet after the bombing in "Can I Get a Witness"?
10. What Native American healing traditions do the parents of the dying baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" bring into the hospital?
This section contains 1,358 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)