|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of poetry does Harlan Atwater write in "The Search Engine"?
(b) Free-verse sonnets.
2. How many people die in the bomb explosion in "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) Forty two.
(d) One hundred.
3. To where does the man carry the woman at the end of "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) To his bed to make love to her.
(b) To the police.
(c) To the hospital.
(d) To her home.
4. Where is the man in "Do Not Go Gentle" when he falls into a waking sleep?
(a) The hospital bathroom.
(b) A church pew.
(c) His son's bedside.
(d) A shaman's tipi.
5. According to the librarian, how many other people have checked out Harlan Atwater's book before Corliss?
(a) One thousand.
(d) One hundred.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bill say when Richard steals the ball while Bill is dribbling?
2. What are the parents in "Do Not Go Gentle" and the other parents in the hospital sick and tired of?
3. Why does Richard not become involved with the woman to whom he is so attracted at the dinner he attends?
4. How old is the mother of the ailing baby in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
5. What does the man in "Do Not Go Gentle" overhear in his waking sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Corliss differ from the rest of her family?
2. What do Corliss's apartment and the way it is furnished indicate about Corliss?
3. Do any of the lawyers respect Richard?
4. What unconventional thoughts does the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" have about the victims of September 11th?
5. What does the opening scene of "The Search Engine" in which Corliss watches the young couple in the student union cafe foreshadow?
6. What Native American healing traditions do the parents of the dying baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" bring into the hospital?
7. Do you think the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" is thinking clearly after the bombing, or do you think her head injury affects her speech and behavior?
8. Discuss the touches of humor in "Can I Get a Witness?"
9. How does Corliss think white people feel about Indians?
10. How does the woman's inability to get her waiter's attention at the beginning of "Can I Get a Witness" symbolize her relationship with her husband and sons?
This section contains 1,358 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)