|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Corliss want a white roommate?
(a) Her tribe wants her to socialize with other Indians only.
(b) She is ashamed of her poverty and thinks whites are rich.
(c) White people romanticize Indians as wise and spiritual.
(d) She wants a male Indian roommate instead.
2. Which of the following statements does not describe the man who asks the female main character in "Can I Get a Witness" if she's okay after the bombing?
(a) A tall Asian.
(b) A short forty-something Caucasian.
(c) Twenty pounds overweight.
(d) Handsome with kind eyes and a mustache.
3. Which of the following statements describes Richard's mother?
(a) A petite Spokane Indian ballerina.
(b) An African American lawyer.
(c) A white college basketball player.
(d) A Spokane Indian poet.
4. What kind of store does the man in "Do Not Go Gentle" mistakenly visit instead of a toy store?
(a) A porn store.
(b) A sex toy store.
(c) A grocery store.
(d) A clothing store.
5. In "Can I Get a Witness?", what kind of work does the woman do?
(a) She's a writer.
(b) She's a paralegal.
(c) She's a dentist.
(d) She's a teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the man's ex-wife used to call him in "Can I Get a Witness?"
2. What school does Corliss attend?
3. What do the man and woman in "Can I Get a Witness?" each think about when they first meet?
4. What does the man in "Can I Get a Witness?" advise the only person he can get on the phone to do?
5. What does Richard imagine at the end of "Lawyer's League"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Richard think most Native American politicians are like?
2. What is the significance of the last line of "Lawyer's League" in which Richard says, "Do you understand I have a limited range of motion"?
3. Explain how overhearing the other fathers in the hospital bathroom motivates the father in "Do Not Go Gentle."
4. How does the woman's inability to get her waiter's attention at the beginning of "Can I Get a Witness" symbolize her relationship with her husband and sons?
5. Why does the father in "Do Not Go Gentle" think his wife is more sorrowful than he is over their son's critical condition?
6. What Native American healing traditions do the parents of the dying baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" bring into the hospital?
7. How does Corliss think white people feel about Indians?
8. Why do you think the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" wants the man to take her to his home after the bombing rather than to hers?
9. Discuss the touches of humor in "Can I Get a Witness?"
10. What do Corliss's apartment and the way it is furnished indicate about Corliss?
This section contains 1,345 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)