|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the librarian, how many other people have checked out Harlan Atwater's book before Corliss?
(a) One thousand.
(d) One hundred.
2. What happens to the man's infant son at the beginning of "Do Not Go Gentle"?
(a) He has a seizure.
(b) He suffocates in his crib.
(c) He is in a car accident.
(d) He falls down stairs.
3. What kind of lawyer is Bill?
(a) A tax attorney.
(b) A prosecutor.
(c) A public defender.
(d) A divorce lawyer.
4. When Corliss searches for information about Harlan Atwater, what does she find out from the Spokane Indian tribe?
(a) His father was also a poet.
(b) Atwater is an alcoholic.
(c) Atwater is from a large and well known Spokane family.
(d) Nothing, no one has ever heard of him.
5. Why doesn't Corliss want a white roommate?
(a) White people romanticize Indians as wise and spiritual.
(b) She wants a male Indian roommate instead.
(c) She is ashamed of her poverty and thinks whites are rich.
(d) Her tribe wants her to socialize with other Indians only.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the woman respond when the man asks her if she was inside the place that just got bombed?
2. When the man can't get 911 and dials other numbers to test the phone service after the bombing, what is the only number that answers?
3. In "The Search Engine," what is the title of Harlan Atwater's poetry book?
4. How old is the mother of the ailing baby in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
5. Which of the following does not describe the physical appearance of Corliss?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why don't the parents in "Do Not Go Gentle" name their baby at the beginning of the story?
2. What does Richard think most Native American politicians are like?
3. What does the opening scene of "The Search Engine" in which Corliss watches the young couple in the student union cafe foreshadow?
4. Do any of the lawyers respect Richard?
5. Why do you think Chocolate Thunder appeals to the father in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
6. Why does the father in "Do Not Go Gentle" think his wife is more sorrowful than he is over their son's critical condition?
7. What is the significance of the last line of "Lawyer's League" in which Richard says, "Do you understand I have a limited range of motion"?
8. Who is the antagonist in "Lawyer's League" and what helps identify that character as the villain/villainess?
9. What is the significance of Harlan Atwater not giving his real name to Corliss?
10. Discuss the influence of Native American culture on the life of the woman in "Can I Get a Witness?"
This section contains 1,457 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)