|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Corliss drawn to Harlan Atwater's poetry?
(a) Atwater is a Spokane Indian like her.
(b) Atwater writes love poems.
(c) Atwater writes nature poems.
(d) Atwater's poetry is taught in her English Lit classes.
2. Which of the following statements describes the father of Richard, the narrator in "Lawyer's League"?
(a) An African American politician.
(b) A Spokane Indian pro basketball star.
(c) A white pro basketball player.
(d) An African American who played defensive end in college.
3. What does Richard imagine at the end of "Lawyer's League"?
(a) Marriage to Theresa.
(b) Being President of the U.S.
(c) Winning a basketball championship.
(d) Defending his fight with Bill at a press conference.
4. When Corliss searches for information about Harlan Atwater, what does she find out when she e-mails other Indian writers and poets?
(a) Nothing, none of the other writers has ever heard of him.
(b) Atwater is really a woman.
(c) Atwater is the pen name of a white man.
(d) Atwater is good friends with a well known Indian novelist.
5. Which of the following statements does not describe the woman's life in "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) She has a husband and two sons.
(b) She's college-educated and making ten dollars an hour.
(c) She's happy with her job and marriage.
(d) She's middle-aged.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bill say when Richard steals the ball while Bill is dribbling?
2. What kind of lawyers are most of the players on Steve's team?
3. What school does Corliss attend?
4. How many people die in the bomb explosion in "Can I Get a Witness?"
5. How many people survive the bomb explosion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Corliss's apartment and the way it is furnished indicate about Corliss?
2. How is it ironic that Bill is the only prosecutor in the lawyer's basketball league?
3. Do you think the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" is thinking clearly after the bombing, or do you think her head injury affects her speech and behavior?
4. What is Richard's relationship with Teresa and how does it compare with what he wishes it was?
5. How does Corliss think white people feel about Indians?
6. Why do you think the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" wants the man to take her to his home after the bombing rather than to hers?
7. What unconventional thoughts does the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" have about the victims of September 11th?
8. How does Corliss differ from the rest of her family?
9. What is the significance of the last line of "Lawyer's League" in which Richard says, "Do you understand I have a limited range of motion"?
10. What is the significance of Corliss's referring to her quest for information about Harlan Atwater as a "vision quest"?
This section contains 1,312 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)