|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Richard's career goals?
(a) To be a U.S. senator and then run for president.
(b) To start a restaurant.
(c) To be a pro basketball player.
(d) To write novels.
2. Why don't the parents of the baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" name their son at the beginning of the story?
(a) They might give their child up for adoption.
(b) They don't think he'll live.
(c) They haven't thought up a good name yet.
(d) They don't want the child.
3. According to the librarian, how many other people have checked out Harlan Atwater's book before Corliss?
(b) One thousand.
(c) One hundred.
4. How does the woman feel about her children in "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) She loves them.
(b) She wants more children.
(c) She never wanted children.
(d) She hates them.
5. How do Corliss's father and uncles feel about poetry?
(a) They love to set poetry to music.
(b) They hate poetry.
(c) They love poetry.
(d) They like only Native American poetry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Steve in "Lawyer's League" invite Richard to play basketball?
2. In "Can I Get a Witness?", where does the woman ask the man to take her?
3. Which of the following statements does not describe Richard's job experiences?
4. What does the woman want to drink once she reaches the man's apartment?
5. What does the unnamed man who is the main character of "Do Not Go Gentle" call sorrow?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the woman's inability to get her waiter's attention at the beginning of "Can I Get a Witness" symbolize her relationship with her husband and sons?
2. Why do you think the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" wants the man to take her to his home after the bombing rather than to hers?
3. What do Corliss's apartment and the way it is furnished indicate about Corliss?
4. Discuss the touches of humor in "Can I Get a Witness?"
5. What Native American healing traditions do the parents of the dying baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" bring into the hospital?
6. What is the significance of Corliss's referring to her quest for information about Harlan Atwater as a "vision quest"?
7. How does Corliss differ from the rest of her family?
8. Why do you think Chocolate Thunder appeals to the father in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
9. How does Richard in "Lawyer's League" describe himself?
10. What is the significance of the last line of "Lawyer's League" in which Richard says, "Do you understand I have a limited range of motion"?
This section contains 1,384 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)