|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not a way Corliss gets a prep school education in high school without attending an expensive prep school?
(a) Prep school teachers fax her study guides.
(b) Prep school teachers fax her sample student papers.
(c) Prep school teachers tutor her for free.
(d) Prep school teachers send her their reading lists.
2. What happens when Corliss calls Harlan Atwater on the phone?
(a) Although flattered by the call, Atwater hangs up on her.
(b) Atwater invites her to his home.
(c) Atwater invites her to his next poetry reading.
(d) Atwater flirts with her.
3. Why does Richard not become involved with the woman to whom he is so attracted at the dinner he attends?
(a) She has cancer.
(b) She would not be a wise choice for his political career.
(c) She is married to his boss.
(d) She is pregnant with another man's child.
4. When Corliss searches for information about Harlan Atwater, what does she find out when she e-mails other Indian writers and poets?
(a) Nothing, none of the other writers has ever heard of him.
(b) Atwater is really a woman.
(c) Atwater is the pen name of a white man.
(d) Atwater is good friends with a well known Indian novelist.
5. What kind of lawyers are most of the players on Steve's team?
(a) Divorce lawyers.
(c) Tax attorneys.
(d) Public defenders.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Richard grow up?
2. How many people survive the bomb explosion?
3. Who directs Corliss to Harlan Atwater's address?
4. What "dirty secret" does Richard reveal about Indian tribal leaders at the beginning of "Lawyer's League"?
5. In "Can I Get a Witness?", what kind of work does the woman do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Frank's basketball game at the community college at the end of the story a victory or a failure?
2. Why does Estelle Walks Above change her name?
3. Before he encounters Bill and the lawyer's basketball league, does Richard's career path seem to be leading him to his goal of the Senate and the White House?
4. How does the lost cat illustrate the story's theme of redemption in "Do You Know Where I Am?"
5. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what is Sharon's family background and is it the stereotypical background for an Indian?
6. Why does Estelle's son say he doesn't know what an Indian is supposed to be?
7. What Native American healing traditions do the parents of the dying baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" bring into the hospital?
8. How is it ironic that Bill is the only prosecutor in the lawyer's basketball league?
9. What does the opening scene of "The Search Engine" in which Corliss watches the young couple in the student union cafe foreshadow?
10. How does Corliss think white people feel about Indians?
This section contains 1,298 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)