|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Corliss searches for information about Harlan Atwater, what does she find out when she e-mails other Indian writers and poets?
(a) Nothing, none of the other writers has ever heard of him.
(b) Atwater is really a woman.
(c) Atwater is good friends with a well known Indian novelist.
(d) Atwater is the pen name of a white man.
2. To what kind of dinner is Richard invited?
(a) A Republican campaign dinner.
(b) A basketball team's celebratory dinner.
(c) A college graduation dinner.
(d) A bipartisan lobbyist dinner.
3. Where did Richard grow up?
4. How does the woman feel about her children in "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) She loves them.
(b) She hates them.
(c) She wants more children.
(d) She never wanted children.
5. How old is Corliss in "The Search Engine"?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Can I Get a Witness?", where does the woman ask the man to take her?
2. Which of the following does not describe Harlan Atwater's physical appearance in "The Search Engine"?
3. How do Corliss's father and uncles feel about poetry?
4. Who settles a lawsuit out of court in "Lawyer's League"?
5. To where does the man carry the woman at the end of "Can I Get a Witness?"
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what is David's family background and is it the stereotypical background for an Indian?
2. Why does Estelle's son say he doesn't know what an Indian is supposed to be?
3. Who is Mr. Grief in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
4. With their education and prosperity, David and Sharon are well assimilated into mainstream American culture. Does "Do You Know Where I Am?" contain examples of the effects of Native American culture in their lives?
5. Why don't the parents in "Do Not Go Gentle" name their baby at the beginning of the story?
6. Before he encounters Bill and the lawyer's basketball league, does Richard's career path seem to be leading him to his goal of the Senate and the White House?
7. How are white people depicted in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" and how does this depiction compare to Estelle's opinion of white people?
8. What Native American healing traditions do the parents of the dying baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" bring into the hospital?
9. How does Corliss differ from the rest of her family?
10. Describe what Sharon and David do with their children on the day Sharon confesses her infidelity and what it indicates about Sharon and David's relationship.
This section contains 1,388 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)