|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Richard surprised to be invited to play basketball in a lawyer's league?
(a) He's not a lawyer.
(b) He doesn't know the other players.
(c) He is a lousy basketball player.
(d) He doesn't play basketball.
2. Which of the following statements describes Richard's mother?
(a) An African American lawyer.
(b) A white college basketball player.
(c) A Spokane Indian poet.
(d) A petite Spokane Indian ballerina.
3. What is the woman who is the main character of "Can I Get a Witness?" doing at the beginning of the story?
(a) Having an affair.
(b) Eating lunch at a restaurant.
(c) Taking her child to school.
(d) Working at a law firm.
4. Why do crowds gather to listen to the man and his wife in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
(a) They are both good singers.
(b) They are famous actors.
(c) They are crying loudly.
(d) They are fighting loudly.
5. Where did Richard grow up?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man in "Do Not Go Gentle" overhear in his waking sleep?
2. What was the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" doing on September 11th when the World Trade Center attacks occurred?
3. How many other published Spokane Indian poets are there in "The Search Engine" besides Harlan Atwater?
4. How does the woman feel about her children in "Can I Get a Witness?"
5. What do the man and woman in "Can I Get a Witness?" each think about when they first meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Corliss's visits to McDonald's illustrate?
2. Explain how overhearing the other fathers in the hospital bathroom motivates the father in "Do Not Go Gentle."
3. Discuss the influence of Native American culture on the life of the woman in "Can I Get a Witness?"
4. Why do you think Chocolate Thunder appeals to the father in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
5. Before he encounters Bill and the lawyer's basketball league, does Richard's career path seem to be leading him to his goal of the Senate and the White House?
6. What do Corliss's apartment and the way it is furnished indicate about Corliss?
7. How does Richard in "Lawyer's League" describe himself?
8. Who is Mr. Grief in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
9. What is Richard's relationship with Teresa and how does it compare with what he wishes it was?
10. Are there any parallels between the bombing of the Good Food Restaurant in "Can I Get a Witness" and the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center?
This section contains 1,544 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)