|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Corliss want a white roommate?
(a) She is ashamed of her poverty and thinks whites are rich.
(b) She wants a male Indian roommate instead.
(c) White people romanticize Indians as wise and spiritual.
(d) Her tribe wants her to socialize with other Indians only.
2. Which of the following is not a way Corliss gets a prep school education in high school without attending an expensive prep school?
(a) Prep school teachers tutor her for free.
(b) Prep school teachers send her their reading lists.
(c) Prep school teachers fax her study guides.
(d) Prep school teachers fax her sample student papers.
3. What happens when Bill tells Richard to "go home, son"?
(a) Richard throws water on Bill.
(b) Richard goes home.
(c) Richard punches Bill and breaks his nose.
(d) Richard cusses Bill out.
4. What does the man in "Can I Get a Witness?" advise the only person he can get on the phone to do?
(a) Quit his job.
(b) Make free pizza for rescue workers.
(c) Help rescue people from the bombing site.
(d) Help him get the woman to a hospital.
5. Which of the following statements does not describe the woman's life in "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) She's happy with her job and marriage.
(b) She's college-educated and making ten dollars an hour.
(c) She's middle-aged.
(d) She has a husband and two sons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the parents of the baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" do at their baby's hospital bedside?
2. Why does Richard not become involved with the woman to whom he is so attracted at the dinner he attends?
3. How old is Corliss in "The Search Engine"?
4. What does Bill say when Richard steals the ball while Bill is dribbling?
5. To what city does the woman to whom Richard is attracted at the dinner move?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Corliss think white people feel about Indians?
2. What is the significance of Corliss's referring to her quest for information about Harlan Atwater as a "vision quest"?
3. What does Richard think most Native American politicians are like?
4. Before he encounters Bill and the lawyer's basketball league, does Richard's career path seem to be leading him to his goal of the Senate and the White House?
5. Do you think the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" is thinking clearly after the bombing, or do you think her head injury affects her speech and behavior?
6. How is it ironic that Bill is the only prosecutor in the lawyer's basketball league?
7. What is Richard's relationship with Teresa and how does it compare with what he wishes it was?
8. Why do you think Chocolate Thunder appeals to the father in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
9. What Native American healing traditions do the parents of the dying baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" bring into the hospital?
10. What unconventional thoughts does the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" have about the victims of September 11th?
This section contains 1,411 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)