|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Corliss want to buy the white woman she encounters at the Student Union?
(a) A winter coat.
(b) College textbooks.
(c) Poetry books.
(d) Sandwiches and ice cream.
2. How do Corliss's father and uncles feel about poetry?
(a) They love poetry.
(b) They hate poetry.
(c) They like only Native American poetry.
(d) They love to set poetry to music.
3. Which of the following does not describe the physical appearance of Corliss?
(a) Large-breasted and wearing red cowboy boots.
(b) Short and thirty pounds overweight.
(c) Plain-featured with clear, dark brown skin, and long hair.
(d) Tall with thick glasses.
4. Which of the following statements describes the father of Richard, the narrator in "Lawyer's League"?
(a) An African American politician.
(b) An African American who played defensive end in college.
(c) A Spokane Indian pro basketball star.
(d) A white pro basketball player.
5. What is the woman who is the main character of "Can I Get a Witness?" doing at the beginning of the story?
(a) Eating lunch at a restaurant.
(b) Working at a law firm.
(c) Taking her child to school.
(d) Having an affair.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why don't the parents of the baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" name their son at the beginning of the story?
2. In "Can I Get a Witness?", where does the woman ask the man to take her?
3. Why is Corliss drawn to Harlan Atwater's poetry?
4. What happens to the baby at the end of "Do Not Go Gentle"?
5. When the man can't get 911 and dials other numbers to test the phone service after the bombing, what is the only number that answers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the father in "Do Not Go Gentle" think his wife is more sorrowful than he is over their son's critical condition?
2. What do Corliss's visits to McDonald's illustrate?
3. Are there any parallels between the bombing of the Good Food Restaurant in "Can I Get a Witness" and the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center?
4. Why do you think Chocolate Thunder appeals to the father in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
5. How does the woman's inability to get her waiter's attention at the beginning of "Can I Get a Witness" symbolize her relationship with her husband and sons?
6. How does Corliss think white people feel about Indians?
7. What is the significance of Corliss's referring to her quest for information about Harlan Atwater as a "vision quest"?
8. Describe Jackson's relationship with Officer Williams in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem."
9. Discuss the influence of Native American culture on the life of the woman in "Can I Get a Witness?"
10. Regarding "Flight Patterns," discuss William's familiarity with Donna Fargo and Patsy Cline and what it indicates.
This section contains 1,384 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)