|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Corliss's father and uncles feel about poetry?
(a) They like only Native American poetry.
(b) They hate poetry.
(c) They love to set poetry to music.
(d) They love poetry.
2. What happens when Corliss calls Harlan Atwater on the phone?
(a) Atwater invites her to his next poetry reading.
(b) Atwater invites her to his home.
(c) Although flattered by the call, Atwater hangs up on her.
(d) Atwater flirts with her.
3. How many people die in the bomb explosion in "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) Forty two.
(d) One hundred.
4. Why does Richard not become involved with the woman to whom he is so attracted at the dinner he attends?
(a) She is pregnant with another man's child.
(b) She would not be a wise choice for his political career.
(c) She is married to his boss.
(d) She has cancer.
5. What "dirty secret" does Richard reveal about Indian tribal leaders at the beginning of "Lawyer's League"?
(a) Many become alcoholics.
(b) Many engage in extramarital affairs.
(c) Many are functionally illiterate.
(d) Many embezzle tribal funds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bill's nickname in "Lawyer's League"?
2. Which of the following statements does not describe how the woman in "Can I Get a Witness?" feels about the people who died on September 11th?
3. Which of the following is not a way Corliss gets a prep school education in high school without attending an expensive prep school?
4. In "The Search Engine," what poet does the man in the Student Union quote at the beginning of the story?
5. What kind of work does the man in "Can I Get a Witness?" do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do any of the lawyers respect Richard?
2. Do you think the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" is thinking clearly after the bombing, or do you think her head injury affects her speech and behavior?
3. How does Corliss think white people feel about Indians?
4. What unconventional thoughts does the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" have about the victims of September 11th?
5. What is Richard's relationship with Teresa and how does it compare with what he wishes it was?
6. Who is Mr. Grief in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
7. What do Corliss's visits to McDonald's illustrate?
8. Discuss the touches of humor in "Can I Get a Witness?"
9. Before he encounters Bill and the lawyer's basketball league, does Richard's career path seem to be leading him to his goal of the Senate and the White House?
10. Explain why Corliss identifies so strongly with Harlan Atwater.
This section contains 1,450 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)