|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Richard know about the other basketball players from lunchtime games with them?
(a) They hate Indians.
(b) They cheat.
(c) They play well.
(d) They have a violent core inside.
2. How many times does the baby die and get resuscitated?
3. What does Corliss want to buy the white woman she encounters at the Student Union?
(a) A winter coat.
(b) College textbooks.
(c) Poetry books.
(d) Sandwiches and ice cream.
4. What happens when Corliss calls Harlan Atwater on the phone?
(a) Atwater invites her to his next poetry reading.
(b) Atwater flirts with her.
(c) Atwater invites her to his home.
(d) Although flattered by the call, Atwater hangs up on her.
5. Why don't the parents of the baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" name their son at the beginning of the story?
(a) They might give their child up for adoption.
(b) They don't want the child.
(c) They haven't thought up a good name yet.
(d) They don't think he'll live.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe the man who asks the female main character in "Can I Get a Witness" if she's okay after the bombing?
2. Which of the following does not describe Harlan Atwater's physical appearance in "The Search Engine"?
3. When Corliss searches for information about Harlan Atwater, what does she find out when she e-mails other Indian writers and poets?
4. What "dirty secret" does Richard reveal about Indian tribal leaders at the beginning of "Lawyer's League"?
5. In "Can I Get a Witness?", what kind of work does the woman do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how overhearing the other fathers in the hospital bathroom motivates the father in "Do Not Go Gentle."
2. Why don't the parents in "Do Not Go Gentle" name their baby at the beginning of the story?
3. What Native American healing traditions do the parents of the dying baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" bring into the hospital?
4. What is the significance of Corliss's referring to her quest for information about Harlan Atwater as a "vision quest"?
5. Who is Mr. Grief in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
6. What do Corliss's apartment and the way it is furnished indicate about Corliss?
7. Do any of the lawyers respect Richard?
8. Why does the father in "Do Not Go Gentle" think his wife is more sorrowful than he is over their son's critical condition?
9. Discuss the influence of Native American culture on the life of the woman in "Can I Get a Witness?"
10. How is it ironic that Bill is the only prosecutor in the lawyer's basketball league?
This section contains 1,477 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)