|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Corliss want a white roommate?
(a) She is ashamed of her poverty and thinks whites are rich.
(b) Her tribe wants her to socialize with other Indians only.
(c) White people romanticize Indians as wise and spiritual.
(d) She wants a male Indian roommate instead.
2. Which of the following statements does not describe the bomber in "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) A Palestinian refugee.
(b) A doctoral student in economics.
(c) Raised in upper-class comfort.
(d) A Syrian American born in Seattle.
3. What school does Corliss attend?
(c) Washington State University.
4. What kind of lawyers are most of the players on Steve's team?
(a) Tax attorneys.
(b) Public defenders.
(d) Divorce lawyers.
5. To what city does the woman to whom Richard is attracted at the dinner move?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the woman who is the main character of "Can I Get a Witness?" doing at the beginning of the story?
2. In "Can I Get a Witness?", how does the woman feel about her husband?
3. Why is Corliss drawn to Harlan Atwater's poetry?
4. How does the woman feel about her children in "Can I Get a Witness?"
5. What does Richard imagine at the end of "Lawyer's League"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how overhearing the other fathers in the hospital bathroom motivates the father in "Do Not Go Gentle."
2. Discuss the influence of Native American culture on the life of the woman in "Can I Get a Witness?"
3. Why don't the parents in "Do Not Go Gentle" name their baby at the beginning of the story?
4. What is the significance of Harlan Atwater not giving his real name to Corliss?
5. Why do you think the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" wants the man to take her to his home after the bombing rather than to hers?
6. How does Corliss think white people feel about Indians?
7. What do Corliss's visits to McDonald's illustrate?
8. Discuss the touches of humor in "Can I Get a Witness?"
9. Are there any parallels between the bombing of the Good Food Restaurant in "Can I Get a Witness" and the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center?
10. Who is the antagonist in "Lawyer's League" and what helps identify that character as the villain/villainess?
This section contains 1,430 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)