|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the man's ex-wife used to call him in "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) Mr. Happy.
(b) Honey Bunny.
(c) Big Loser.
(d) Mr. Funny.
2. What do the parents of the baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" do at their baby's hospital bedside?
(b) Beat hand drums and sing powwow songs.
(c) Talk to their son as if he can hear them.
3. When Corliss searches for information about Harlan Atwater, what does she find out when she e-mails other Indian writers and poets?
(a) Atwater is good friends with a well known Indian novelist.
(b) Atwater is the pen name of a white man.
(c) Nothing, none of the other writers has ever heard of him.
(d) Atwater is really a woman.
4. Why is Corliss drawn to Harlan Atwater's poetry?
(a) Atwater writes nature poems.
(b) Atwater is a Spokane Indian like her.
(c) Atwater writes love poems.
(d) Atwater's poetry is taught in her English Lit classes.
5. What kind of poetry does Harlan Atwater write in "The Search Engine"?
(a) Free-verse sonnets.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the librarian, how many other people have checked out Harlan Atwater's book before Corliss?
2. Which of the following is not a way Corliss gets a prep school education in high school without attending an expensive prep school?
3. Which of the following statements describes Richard's mother?
4. What happens when Bill tells Richard to "go home, son"?
5. At the end of "The Search Engine," what does Corliss ask Harlan Atwater for that he does not give her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Corliss's visits to McDonald's illustrate?
2. What is the significance of Harlan Atwater not giving his real name to Corliss?
3. How does the woman's inability to get her waiter's attention at the beginning of "Can I Get a Witness" symbolize her relationship with her husband and sons?
4. Who is Mr. Grief in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
5. What does the opening scene of "The Search Engine" in which Corliss watches the young couple in the student union cafe foreshadow?
6. Discuss the touches of humor in "Can I Get a Witness?"
7. Explain how overhearing the other fathers in the hospital bathroom motivates the father in "Do Not Go Gentle."
8. Why do you think the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" wants the man to take her to his home after the bombing rather than to hers?
9. Are there any parallels between the bombing of the Good Food Restaurant in "Can I Get a Witness" and the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center?
10. How does Richard in "Lawyer's League" describe himself?
This section contains 1,541 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)