|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Corliss in "The Search Engine"?
2. What does Richard know about the other basketball players from lunchtime games with them?
(a) They have a violent core inside.
(b) They play well.
(c) They hate Indians.
(d) They cheat.
3. When Corliss searches for information about Harlan Atwater, what does she find out when she e-mails other Indian writers and poets?
(a) Nothing, none of the other writers has ever heard of him.
(b) Atwater is good friends with a well known Indian novelist.
(c) Atwater is the pen name of a white man.
(d) Atwater is really a woman.
4. What was the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" doing on September 11th when the World Trade Center attacks occurred?
(a) Shopping in New York.
(b) Collating files at the law firm where she works.
(c) Taking her children to school.
(d) Flying to Washington, DC.
5. Which of the following is something the man and his wife in "Do Not Go Gentle" do with Chocolate Thunder?
(a) Give it to a neighbor.
(b) Hang it over their baby's crib as a mobile.
(c) Use it as a paperweight.
(d) Bury it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements describes the father of Richard, the narrator in "Lawyer's League"?
2. Why doesn't Corliss want a white roommate?
3. What kind of toys does the father in "Do Not Go Gentle" intend to buy for his son?
4. What does Corliss want to buy the white woman she encounters at the Student Union?
5. What "dirty secret" does Richard reveal about Indian tribal leaders at the beginning of "Lawyer's League"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the last line of "Lawyer's League" in which Richard says, "Do you understand I have a limited range of motion"?
2. What does Estelle decide to do the summer her son turns thirteen, and how does her decision affect her son?
3. Why does Estelle Walks Above change her name?
4. Who is the antagonist in "Lawyer's League" and what helps identify that character as the villain/villainess?
5. Describe Jackson's relationship with Officer Williams in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem."
6. Why do you think Chocolate Thunder appeals to the father in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
7. Explain how overhearing the other fathers in the hospital bathroom motivates the father in "Do Not Go Gentle."
8. Is Frank's basketball game at the community college at the end of the story a victory or a failure?
9. In what ways is the title "Flight Patterns" related to the story?
10. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what is David's family background and is it the stereotypical background for an Indian?
This section contains 1,453 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)