|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does William wear his hair?
(b) In a ponytail.
(c) Long and in two braids.
(d) He shaves his head.
2. How is Marie's hair in "Flight Patterns"?
(a) Always unkempt and wild.
(c) Short and neatly brushed.
(d) Dyed blonde.
3. Why do David and Sharon each spend their college graduation day alone?
(a) They break up temporarily because of David's lie.
(b) They are each moving to different cities.
(c) They graduate from different schools.
(d) Their families don't like each other.
4. What does Estelle's son say white people often think Indians are?
(b) Shamanic geniuses.
(c) Poor and uneducated.
5. How many questions does Sharon tell David he can ask about what she confesses to him?
(c) As many as he wants.
6. What kind of women are most of Estelle's friends?
(a) White liberals.
(c) Homeless women.
(d) Spokane Indians.
7. In what year does "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above" begin?
8. What does Jackson say is the only thing at which he's ever been good or effective?
(a) Making jewelry.
(b) Selling shoes.
(c) Making love.
(d) Being homeless.
9. What does Marie in "Flight Patterns" do for a living?
(a) She's a model.
(b) She's a secretary.
(c) She's a teacher.
(d) She's a stay-at-home wife and mom.
10. What is Estelle's real name in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above"?
(a) Estelle Miller.
(b) Estelle Red Blanket.
(c) Amanda Sue Dickerson.
(d) Sarah Jane Parker.
11. Which of the following statements is not marital advice Estelle gives her son?
(b) Wash dishes.
(c) Do the laundry.
(d) Give your wife expensive gifts.
12. How long has it been since the taxi driver in "Flight Patterns" has seen his children?
(a) Many years.
(b) Two years.
(c) One year.
(d) One month.
13. How much money does Jackson win at the lottery?
(a) Ten dollars.
(b) Eight thousand dollars.
(c) One hundred dollars.
(d) One million dollars.
14. What did the taxi driver study at Oxford?
15. After Jackson spends his lottery winnings, who gives him another twenty-five dollars?
(a) The pawnshop owner.
(b) Rose of Sharon.
(d) Officer Williams.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a trait Estelle's son identifies as a negative aspect of being an Indian?
2. What does Jackson try to sell to earn money to redeem the pow-wow regalia from the pawnshop?
3. How old is Estelle's son at the beginning of the story?
4. Why is the regalia Jackson spots in the pawnshop window no longer in the possession of its rightful owner?
5. Whose pow-wow dance regalia does Jackson think he spots in a pawnshop window?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)