|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the regalia Jackson spots in the pawnshop window no longer in the possession of its rightful owner?
(a) The original owner pawned it.
(b) It was stolen fifty years earlier.
(c) The original owner sold it.
(d) The original owner gave it away.
2. What does Estelle's son say white people often think Indians are?
(b) Shamanic geniuses.
(d) Poor and uneducated.
3. What does Jackson say is the only thing at which he's ever been good or effective?
(a) Making love.
(b) Making jewelry.
(c) Being homeless.
(d) Selling shoes.
4. In "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem," how long has Jackson been homeless?
(a) Six years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Six months.
(d) All his life.
5. What does Marie in "Flight Patterns" do for a living?
(a) She's a model.
(b) She's a secretary.
(c) She's a stay-at-home wife and mom.
(d) She's a teacher.
6. Where do David and Sharon meet in "Do You Know Where I Am?"
(a) At a Catholic college in Seattle.
(b) At high school.
(c) In a hamburger restaurant.
(d) On the Spokane Indian reservation.
7. What did the taxi driver in "Flight Patterns" do for a living in his birth country?
(a) He was a jet-fighter pilot.
(b) He was a doctor.
(c) He was a lawyer.
(d) He was a rabbi.
8. What does Estelle's son say he sometimes feels like instead of her son?
(a) Her boyfriend.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her student.
(d) Her friend.
9. What is Estelle's real name in "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above"?
(a) Estelle Miller.
(b) Amanda Sue Dickerson.
(c) Estelle Red Blanket.
(d) Sarah Jane Parker.
10. How much does the pawnshop owner tell Jackson it will cost to redeem the regalia?
(a) One million dollars.
(b) One hundred dollars.
(c) Nine hundred and ninety nine dollars.
(d) Ten dollars.
11. What identifies the regalia in the pawnshop window as the property of the person to whom Jackson thinks it once belonged?
(a) A stain on the sleeve.
(b) The design of the beadwork.
(c) The red fringe.
(d) A yellow bead under the armpits.
12. What kind of mental problem does Jackson have?
(a) Bipolar disorder.
(c) Asocial disorder.
13. Who gives Jackson his first twenty dollars for redeeming the pow-wow regalia from the pawn shop?
(b) Rose of Sharon.
(c) Officer Williams.
(d) The pawnshop owner.
14. What does Estelle do after she spots the woman in the white dress?
(a) Rolls down her window and beckons the woman.
(b) Stops her car but doesn't get out to assist the woman.
(c) Ignores the woman.
(d) Honks her horn at the woman.
15. Once David and she find the cat, what does Sharon remember seeing in the newspaper the previous week?
(a) A lost-cat ad.
(b) A want ad for her dream job.
(c) A photo of her rival for David.
(d) An ad for engagement rings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story does Sharon tell at every family gathering during her long marriage to David?
2. What feminist book does Estelle make her son read?
3. From where is the taxi driver in "Flight Patterns"?
4. What kind of Indian is Sharon?
5. How old is Estelle's son at the beginning of the story?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)