|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Estelle do after she spots the woman in the white dress?
(a) Stops her car but doesn't get out to assist the woman.
(b) Honks her horn at the woman.
(c) Ignores the woman.
(d) Rolls down her window and beckons the woman.
2. Why did the taxi driver leave his birth country?
(a) He is on the run from the mob.
(b) He feared the poverty and disease there.
(c) He killed a man and had to flee.
(d) He couldn't bomb his own people any more.
3. What health problem does William have?
(a) An ulcer.
(d) High blood pressure.
4. From where is the taxi driver in "Flight Patterns"?
5. How old is Estelle's son at the beginning of the story?
6. What does Estelle's son like about Indian men?
(a) Their totems.
(b) Their ceremonies.
(c) Their long hair, colorful clothes, and singing and dancing.
(d) Their healing magic.
7. In "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem," how long has Jackson been homeless?
(a) All his life.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Six years.
(d) Six months.
8. Which of the following statements is not marital advice Estelle gives her son?
(a) Give your wife expensive gifts.
(b) Wash dishes.
(c) Do the laundry.
9. What do both Estelle and her son do for a living?
(a) Practice medicine.
(b) Make Indian jewelry.
(c) Practice law.
(d) Teach at a community college.
10. What story does Sharon tell at every family gathering during her long marriage to David?
(a) Their wedding day story.
(b) Their first meeting story.
(c) Their first child's birth story.
(d) The lost cat story.
11. After Jackson spends his lottery winnings, who gives him another twenty-five dollars?
(a) The pawnshop owner.
(b) Rose of Sharon.
(d) Officer Williams.
12. How much money does Jackson initially have for redeeming the pow-wow regalia?
(a) Fifty cents.
(b) Five dollars.
(c) Ten dollars.
(d) One dollar.
13. Which of the following is something William does?
(b) Declines to take pills.
(c) Eats processed sugar.
14. Why is the regalia Jackson spots in the pawnshop window no longer in the possession of its rightful owner?
(a) It was stolen fifty years earlier.
(b) The original owner sold it.
(c) The original owner pawned it.
(d) The original owner gave it away.
15. Who are Rose of Sharon and Junior in "What You Pawn, I Will Redeem"?
(a) Homeless friends who hang out with Jackson.
(b) Jackson's siblings.
(c) Jackson's neighbors.
(d) Jackson's children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jackson buy with twenty of his last twenty-five dollars?
2. What did the taxi driver in "Flight Patterns" do for a living in his birth country?
3. How long has it been since the taxi driver in "Flight Patterns" has seen his children?
4. What does Estelle's son say white people often think Indians are?
5. Near the end of "The Life and Times of Estelle Walks Above," what do Estelle and her son notice on the back of the white dress of a woman walking along the street?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)