|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of Indian is David?
2. What does Sharon's confession initially make David want to do to her?
(a) Confess his own affair.
(b) Hit her.
(c) Shoot her.
(d) Leave her.
3. What does Marie want William to do instead of catch his plane?
(a) Go fishing.
(b) Quit his job.
(c) Stay in bed and make love.
(d) Drive the kids to school.
4. What do Estelle and her son frequently forget?
(a) Their birthdays.
(b) Their students' names.
(c) Their address.
(d) Where they park their cars.
5. Where do David and Sharon find a lost cat?
(a) In an alley.
(b) In a dumpster.
(c) In some blackberry bushes.
(d) In Sharon's college dorm.
6. Whose music is William listening to at the beginning of "Flight Patterns"?
(a) The Beatles' music.
(b) Madonna's music.
(c) The Rolling Stones' music.
(d) Patsy Cline's music.
7. Which of the following statements is not marital advice Estelle gives her son?
(a) Give your wife expensive gifts.
(b) Do the laundry.
(d) Wash dishes.
8. What happens to Sharon when she and David are sixty-six years old?
(a) She develops a terminal case of cancer.
(b) She catches a burglar.
(c) She breaks a hip.
(d) She falls in love with another man.
9. What does Estelle's son say at the end of the story that he and his mother have done all his life and will keep doing until one eventually buries the other?
(a) Loved and failed each other.
(b) Taught at the community college.
(c) Befriended white people.
(d) Supported women's rights.
10. How old is Estelle's son at the beginning of the story?
11. How much money does Jackson win at the lottery?
(a) Ten dollars.
(b) One million dollars.
(c) One hundred dollars.
(d) Eight thousand dollars.
12. How many children do David and Sharon have?
13. What does Jackson say is the only thing at which he's ever been good or effective?
(a) Selling shoes.
(b) Making love.
(c) Being homeless.
(d) Making jewelry.
14. What story does Sharon tell at every family gathering during her long marriage to David?
(a) The lost cat story.
(b) Their wedding day story.
(c) Their first child's birth story.
(d) Their first meeting story.
15. In "Do You Know Where I Am?", what does David do when the lost cat's owner comes to reclaim him.
(a) Lie about his role in finding the cat, taking all the credit.
(b) Hide the cat so he can keep it.
(c) Demand a reward.
(d) Offer to keep the cat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does William's daughter in "Flight Patterns" fear will happen to him after September 11th?
2. What does Estelle's son like about Indian men?
3. Once David and she find the cat, what does Sharon remember seeing in the newspaper the previous week?
4. What kind of women are most of Estelle's friends?
5. What does Sharon confess to David one night in "Do You Know Where I Am?"
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)