|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the man in "Can I Get a Witness?" advise the only person he can get on the phone to do?
(a) Help him get the woman to a hospital.
(b) Make free pizza for rescue workers.
(c) Help rescue people from the bombing site.
(d) Quit his job.
2. In "The Search Engine," what poet does the man in the Student Union quote at the beginning of the story?
3. In "The Search Engine," what is the title of Harlan Atwater's poetry book?
(b) Indian Heart Songs.
(c) Soul Sonnets.
(d) In the Reservation of My Mind.
4. In "Can I Get a Witness?", what kind of work does the woman do?
(a) She's a dentist.
(b) She's a paralegal.
(c) She's a teacher.
(d) She's a writer.
5. What kind of lawyers are most of the players on Steve's team?
(a) Tax attorneys.
(c) Public defenders.
(d) Divorce lawyers.
6. When Corliss searches for information about Harlan Atwater, what does she find out from the Spokane Indian tribe?
(a) Atwater is from a large and well known Spokane family.
(b) Nothing, no one has ever heard of him.
(c) His father was also a poet.
(d) Atwater is an alcoholic.
7. Why doesn't Corliss own her own computer?
(a) She's too poor to afford one.
(b) She doesn't like computers.
(c) She doesn't need to use computers for her classes.
(d) She doesn't know how to use a computer.
8. How old is Corliss in "The Search Engine"?
9. Why does Richard not become involved with the woman to whom he is so attracted at the dinner he attends?
(a) She would not be a wise choice for his political career.
(b) She is married to his boss.
(c) She has cancer.
(d) She is pregnant with another man's child.
10. Who directs Corliss to Harlan Atwater's address?
(a) A homeless man she meets outside McDonald's.
(b) Corliss's father and uncles.
(c) A famous Spokane Indian novelist.
(d) The campus librarian.
11. How old is the mother of the ailing baby in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
12. To what city does the woman to whom Richard is attracted at the dinner move?
13. Why is Richard surprised to be invited to play basketball in a lawyer's league?
(a) He doesn't know the other players.
(b) He's not a lawyer.
(c) He doesn't play basketball.
(d) He is a lousy basketball player.
14. Which of the following does not describe Harlan Atwater's physical appearance in "The Search Engine"?
(a) Short and fat.
(b) Dark-skinned yet pasty.
(c) Thick glasses.
(d) Tall and handsome.
15. What are the parents in "Do Not Go Gentle" and the other parents in the hospital sick and tired of?
(a) Hospital cafeteria food.
(b) Waiting for their babies to die.
(c) Doctors and nurses.
(d) Medical bills.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the man in "Do Not Go Gentle" think his wife is sadder than he is?
2. What does the unnamed man who is the main character of "Do Not Go Gentle" call sorrow?
3. When Corliss searches for information about Harlan Atwater, what does she find out when she e-mails other Indian writers and poets?
4. How many people survive the bomb explosion?
5. What kind of lawyer is Bill?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)