|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Richard know about the other basketball players from lunchtime games with them?
(a) They hate Indians.
(b) They cheat.
(c) They have a violent core inside.
(d) They play well.
2. When Corliss searches for information about Harlan Atwater, what does she find out from the Spokane Indian tribe?
(a) Nothing, no one has ever heard of him.
(b) Atwater is from a large and well known Spokane family.
(c) Atwater is an alcoholic.
(d) His father was also a poet.
3. When Corliss searches for information about Harlan Atwater, what does she find out when she e-mails other Indian writers and poets?
(a) Nothing, none of the other writers has ever heard of him.
(b) Atwater is really a woman.
(c) Atwater is the pen name of a white man.
(d) Atwater is good friends with a well known Indian novelist.
4. At the end of "The Search Engine," what does Corliss ask Harlan Atwater for that he does not give her?
(b) A critique of poetry she's written.
(d) His real name.
5. Which of the following does not describe the physical appearance of Corliss?
(a) Tall with thick glasses.
(b) Large-breasted and wearing red cowboy boots.
(c) Plain-featured with clear, dark brown skin, and long hair.
(d) Short and thirty pounds overweight.
6. Why does the man in "Do Not Go Gentle" think his wife is sadder than he is?
(a) She loves the baby more.
(b) She is a woman.
(c) She doesn't share his faith their child will live.
(d) She carried their baby inside her womb.
7. How do Corliss's father and uncles feel about poetry?
(a) They love poetry.
(b) They like only Native American poetry.
(c) They love to set poetry to music.
(d) They hate poetry.
8. Which of the following statements does not describe the woman's life in "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) She has a husband and two sons.
(b) She's happy with her job and marriage.
(c) She's middle-aged.
(d) She's college-educated and making ten dollars an hour.
9. What are Richard's career goals?
(a) To start a restaurant.
(b) To be a pro basketball player.
(c) To be a U.S. senator and then run for president.
(d) To write novels.
10. What do the parents name their baby at the end of "Do Not Go Gentle"?
(c) Red Cloud.
11. Which of the following statements does not describe how the woman in "Can I Get a Witness?" feels about the people who died on September 11th?
(a) Some of them deserved to die.
(b) Some of them could have been abusing their daughters.
(c) Some of them could have been cheating on their wives.
(d) None of them deserved to die.
12. How does the woman feel about her children in "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) She never wanted children.
(b) She hates them.
(c) She loves them.
(d) She wants more children.
13. Which of the following is something the man and his wife in "Do Not Go Gentle" do with Chocolate Thunder?
(a) Bury it.
(b) Hang it over their baby's crib as a mobile.
(c) Use it as a paperweight.
(d) Give it to a neighbor.
14. Where is the man in "Do Not Go Gentle" when he falls into a waking sleep?
(a) The hospital bathroom.
(b) His son's bedside.
(c) A shaman's tipi.
(d) A church pew.
15. Which of the following statements does not describe the man who asks the female main character in "Can I Get a Witness" if she's okay after the bombing?
(a) Handsome with kind eyes and a mustache.
(b) Twenty pounds overweight.
(c) A tall Asian.
(d) A short forty-something Caucasian.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Corliss drawn to Harlan Atwater's poetry?
2. In "Do Not Go Gentle," how much money does the father think could be collected from the wallets and purses of all his relatives in total?
3. How many other published Spokane Indian poets are there in "The Search Engine" besides Harlan Atwater?
4. In "Can I Get a Witness?", what kind of work does the woman do?
5. In "Can I Get a Witness?", where does the woman ask the man to take her?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)