|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the man's infant son at the beginning of "Do Not Go Gentle"?
(a) He is in a car accident.
(b) He has a seizure.
(c) He falls down stairs.
(d) He suffocates in his crib.
2. What do the parents of the baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" do at their baby's hospital bedside?
(a) Talk to their son as if he can hear them.
(d) Beat hand drums and sing powwow songs.
3. What is the woman who is the main character of "Can I Get a Witness?" doing at the beginning of the story?
(a) Taking her child to school.
(b) Eating lunch at a restaurant.
(c) Working at a law firm.
(d) Having an affair.
4. What did the man's ex-wife used to call him in "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) Mr. Happy.
(b) Mr. Funny.
(c) Big Loser.
(d) Honey Bunny.
5. To what kind of dinner is Richard invited?
(a) A Republican campaign dinner.
(b) A college graduation dinner.
(c) A bipartisan lobbyist dinner.
(d) A basketball team's celebratory dinner.
6. What "dirty secret" does Richard reveal about Indian tribal leaders at the beginning of "Lawyer's League"?
(a) Many engage in extramarital affairs.
(b) Many are functionally illiterate.
(c) Many embezzle tribal funds.
(d) Many become alcoholics.
7. In "Can I Get a Witness?", what kind of work does the woman do?
(a) She's a teacher.
(b) She's a dentist.
(c) She's a writer.
(d) She's a paralegal.
8. Which of the following statements describes Richard's mother?
(a) A white college basketball player.
(b) A petite Spokane Indian ballerina.
(c) An African American lawyer.
(d) A Spokane Indian poet.
9. When Bill keeps protesting every basket Richard makes, what do the other lawyers suggest?
(a) That Richard go home.
(b) That Bill be asked to leave the game.
(c) That Bill and Richard both leave the game.
(d) That Richard challenge Bill.
10. In "The Search Engine," what poet does the man in the Student Union quote at the beginning of the story?
11. What kind of toys does the father in "Do Not Go Gentle" intend to buy for his son?
(a) Blocks and a stuffed panda.
(b) Teddy bears, a rattle, and an educational toy.
(d) Interactive toys.
12. What kind of lawyers are most of the players on Steve's team?
(a) Divorce lawyers.
(b) Tax attorneys.
(d) Public defenders.
13. Which of the following statements does not describe what Corliss learns about Harlan Atwater when she finally meets him face to face?
(a) He is a fake.
(b) He never lived on a reservation.
(c) He was raised by white adoptive parents, not Indians.
(d) He lived everything he wrote in his poems.
14. What school does Corliss attend?
(c) Washington State University.
15. What happens to the baby at the end of "Do Not Go Gentle"?
(a) He recovers fully.
(b) He has a partial recovery.
(c) He dies.
(d) He stays in his coma
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the librarian, how many other people have checked out Harlan Atwater's book before Corliss?
2. How many times does the baby die and get resuscitated?
3. Where did Richard grow up?
4. What does Corliss want to buy the white woman she encounters at the Student Union?
5. Which of the following statements does not describe the bomber in "Can I Get a Witness?"
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)