|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Richard grow up?
2. When Corliss searches for information about Harlan Atwater, what does she find out when she e-mails other Indian writers and poets?
(a) Atwater is the pen name of a white man.
(b) Nothing, none of the other writers has ever heard of him.
(c) Atwater is good friends with a well known Indian novelist.
(d) Atwater is really a woman.
3. What did the man's ex-wife used to call him in "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) Big Loser.
(b) Honey Bunny.
(c) Mr. Happy.
(d) Mr. Funny.
4. In "Can I Get a Witness?", where does the woman ask the man to take her?
(a) To the hospital.
(b) To his home.
(c) To the police.
(d) To her home.
5. Where does the father in "Do Not Go Gentle" shop for a toy for his baby?
(a) Toys in Babeland.
(b) Toys R Us.
(c) The reservation trading post.
(d) The hospital gift shop.
6. What does the woman want to drink once she reaches the man's apartment?
7. What kind of lawyers are most of the players on Steve's team?
(a) Tax attorneys.
(c) Divorce lawyers.
(d) Public defenders.
8. How old is the female main character of "Can I Get a Witness?"
9. Which of the following statements does not describe how the woman has fantasized she would behave if she had been caught in the Twin Towers on September 11th?
(a) She would have walked away and started a new life.
(b) She would have let her family think she had died.
(c) She would have helped them escape the Twin Towers.
(d) She would have disappeared.
10. What does the unnamed man who is the main character of "Do Not Go Gentle" call sorrow?
(a) Heart Sickness.
(b) The Eternal Woe.
(c) The Thunder Bird.
(d) Mr. Grief.
11. Why does the man in "Do Not Go Gentle" think his wife is sadder than he is?
(a) She carried their baby inside her womb.
(b) She is a woman.
(c) She doesn't share his faith their child will live.
(d) She loves the baby more.
12. Who directs Corliss to Harlan Atwater's address?
(a) The campus librarian.
(b) A famous Spokane Indian novelist.
(c) Corliss's father and uncles.
(d) A homeless man she meets outside McDonald's.
13. At the end of "The Search Engine," what does Corliss ask Harlan Atwater for that he does not give her?
(a) His real name.
(d) A critique of poetry she's written.
14. How does the woman respond when the man asks her if she was inside the place that just got bombed?
(a) She faints.
(b) She says nothing.
(c) She lies and says no.
(d) She says yes.
15. What kind of store does the man in "Do Not Go Gentle" mistakenly visit instead of a toy store?
(a) A sex toy store.
(b) A porn store.
(c) A clothing store.
(d) A grocery store.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the man can't get 911 and dials other numbers to test the phone service after the bombing, what is the only number that answers?
2. At the dinner Richard attends, who does he think he could take home, sleep with, and abandon?
3. What school does Corliss attend?
4. In "Do Not Go Gentle," how much money does the father think could be collected from the wallets and purses of all his relatives in total?
5. What does Richard know about the other basketball players from lunchtime games with them?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)