|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Steve in "Lawyer's League" invite Richard to play basketball?
(a) He wants to keep Richard away from Theresa.
(b) He knows Richard is a good player.
(c) He thinks he can beat Richard.
(d) He wants to diversify the team.
2. What does the unnamed man who is the main character of "Do Not Go Gentle" call sorrow?
(a) Mr. Grief.
(b) Heart Sickness.
(c) The Thunder Bird.
(d) The Eternal Woe.
3. Why doesn't Corliss own her own computer?
(a) She's too poor to afford one.
(b) She doesn't need to use computers for her classes.
(c) She doesn't like computers.
(d) She doesn't know how to use a computer.
4. In "The Search Engine," what poet does the man in the Student Union quote at the beginning of the story?
5. Where does the father in "Do Not Go Gentle" shop for a toy for his baby?
(a) The hospital gift shop.
(b) Toys R Us.
(c) The reservation trading post.
(d) Toys in Babeland.
6. When Corliss searches for information about Harlan Atwater, what does she find out when she e-mails other Indian writers and poets?
(a) Atwater is good friends with a well known Indian novelist.
(b) Atwater is the pen name of a white man.
(c) Nothing, none of the other writers has ever heard of him.
(d) Atwater is really a woman.
7. What does Richard think Bill's problem with dunking really is?
(a) A bad temper.
8. When Corliss searches for information about Harlan Atwater, what does she find out from the Spokane Indian tribe?
(a) Atwater is an alcoholic.
(b) Nothing, no one has ever heard of him.
(c) His father was also a poet.
(d) Atwater is from a large and well known Spokane family.
9. What happens to the baby at the end of "Do Not Go Gentle"?
(a) He dies.
(b) He recovers fully.
(c) He has a partial recovery.
(d) He stays in his coma
10. What does the man in "Can I Get a Witness?" advise the only person he can get on the phone to do?
(a) Quit his job.
(b) Help rescue people from the bombing site.
(c) Make free pizza for rescue workers.
(d) Help him get the woman to a hospital.
11. In "The Search Engine," what is the title of Harlan Atwater's poetry book?
(b) Soul Sonnets.
(c) In the Reservation of My Mind.
(d) Indian Heart Songs.
12. When the man can't get 911 and dials other numbers to test the phone service after the bombing, what is the only number that answers?
(a) The local newspaper.
(b) The local hospital.
(c) Domino's Pizza.
(d) Lou's Bail Bonds.
13. At the dinner Richard attends, how many other single people are seated at his table?
14. What happens when Bill tells Richard to "go home, son"?
(a) Richard throws water on Bill.
(b) Richard cusses Bill out.
(c) Richard goes home.
(d) Richard punches Bill and breaks his nose.
15. How does the woman feel about her children in "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) She hates them.
(b) She loves them.
(c) She wants more children.
(d) She never wanted children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Corliss want a white roommate?
2. What does Richard imagine at the end of "Lawyer's League"?
3. What school does Corliss attend?
4. Which of the following statements does not describe what Corliss learns about Harlan Atwater when she finally meets him face to face?
5. How does Corliss pay for the SAT-prep course that won her a dozen academic scholarships for college?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)