|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the father in "Do Not Go Gentle" shop for a toy for his baby?
(a) Toys in Babeland.
(b) Toys R Us.
(c) The reservation trading post.
(d) The hospital gift shop.
2. Why is Corliss drawn to Harlan Atwater's poetry?
(a) Atwater writes love poems.
(b) Atwater is a Spokane Indian like her.
(c) Atwater writes nature poems.
(d) Atwater's poetry is taught in her English Lit classes.
3. What does the man in "Do Not Go Gentle" overhear in his waking sleep?
(a) Other grieving fathers insulting a fat woman.
(b) Doctors predicting his son will die.
(c) Another grieving father crying over a dying child.
(d) An angel predicting his child will live.
4. In "Can I Get a Witness?", where does the woman ask the man to take her?
(a) To his home.
(b) To her home.
(c) To the hospital.
(d) To the police.
5. How do Corliss's father and uncles feel about poetry?
(a) They love poetry.
(b) They like only Native American poetry.
(c) They love to set poetry to music.
(d) They hate poetry.
6. How many people survive the bomb explosion?
(a) Forty one.
(b) One hundred.
7. What school does Corliss attend?
(d) Washington State University.
8. What does Bill say when Richard steals the ball while Bill is dribbling?
(a) Do it again and you're dead.
(b) You cheated.
(c) Time out.
9. Why don't the parents of the baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" name their son at the beginning of the story?
(a) They don't think he'll live.
(b) They might give their child up for adoption.
(c) They haven't thought up a good name yet.
(d) They don't want the child.
10. What did the man's ex-wife used to call him in "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) Mr. Happy.
(b) Mr. Funny.
(c) Honey Bunny.
(d) Big Loser.
11. Which of the following statements does not describe Richard's job experiences?
(a) He manages the Native Voices Now voter registration drive.
(b) He interned for the first African American mayor of Seattle.
(c) He worked for the first Chinese American governor in the US.
(d) He edited a Seattle newspaper.
12. What does the woman want to drink once she reaches the man's apartment?
13. What happens to the man's infant son at the beginning of "Do Not Go Gentle"?
(a) He has a seizure.
(b) He suffocates in his crib.
(c) He is in a car accident.
(d) He falls down stairs.
14. How old is Corliss in "The Search Engine"?
15. Which of the following statements does not describe the man who asks the female main character in "Can I Get a Witness" if she's okay after the bombing?
(a) Twenty pounds overweight.
(b) A short forty-something Caucasian.
(c) Handsome with kind eyes and a mustache.
(d) A tall Asian.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements describes Richard's mother?
2. What do the parents name their baby at the end of "Do Not Go Gentle"?
3. Where is the man in "Do Not Go Gentle" when he falls into a waking sleep?
4. According to the librarian, how many other people have checked out Harlan Atwater's book before Corliss?
5. Why does Steve in "Lawyer's League" invite Richard to play basketball?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)