|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What "dirty secret" does Richard reveal about Indian tribal leaders at the beginning of "Lawyer's League"?
(a) Many embezzle tribal funds.
(b) Many are functionally illiterate.
(c) Many engage in extramarital affairs.
(d) Many become alcoholics.
2. Which of the following statements does not describe how the woman has fantasized she would behave if she had been caught in the Twin Towers on September 11th?
(a) She would have walked away and started a new life.
(b) She would have disappeared.
(c) She would have let her family think she had died.
(d) She would have helped them escape the Twin Towers.
3. Why does Richard not become involved with the woman to whom he is so attracted at the dinner he attends?
(a) She would not be a wise choice for his political career.
(b) She has cancer.
(c) She is married to his boss.
(d) She is pregnant with another man's child.
4. How do Corliss's father and uncles feel about poetry?
(a) They like only Native American poetry.
(b) They love to set poetry to music.
(c) They hate poetry.
(d) They love poetry.
5. Which of the following is not a way Corliss gets a prep school education in high school without attending an expensive prep school?
(a) Prep school teachers send her their reading lists.
(b) Prep school teachers fax her sample student papers.
(c) Prep school teachers tutor her for free.
(d) Prep school teachers fax her study guides.
6. What are Richard's career goals?
(a) To be a pro basketball player.
(b) To be a U.S. senator and then run for president.
(c) To write novels.
(d) To start a restaurant.
7. In "The Search Engine," what poet does the man in the Student Union quote at the beginning of the story?
8. How old is Corliss in "The Search Engine"?
9. Which of the following does not describe the physical appearance of Corliss?
(a) Short and thirty pounds overweight.
(b) Plain-featured with clear, dark brown skin, and long hair.
(c) Large-breasted and wearing red cowboy boots.
(d) Tall with thick glasses.
10. At the dinner Richard attends, how many other single people are seated at his table?
11. When Bill keeps protesting every basket Richard makes, what do the other lawyers suggest?
(a) That Richard challenge Bill.
(b) That Richard go home.
(c) That Bill and Richard both leave the game.
(d) That Bill be asked to leave the game.
12. How old is the female main character of "Can I Get a Witness?"
13. Why do crowds gather to listen to the man and his wife in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
(a) They are fighting loudly.
(b) They are both good singers.
(c) They are crying loudly.
(d) They are famous actors.
14. Which of the following is something the man and his wife in "Do Not Go Gentle" do with Chocolate Thunder?
(a) Use it as a paperweight.
(b) Hang it over their baby's crib as a mobile.
(c) Give it to a neighbor.
(d) Bury it.
15. Where is the man in "Do Not Go Gentle" when he falls into a waking sleep?
(a) The hospital bathroom.
(b) A church pew.
(c) A shaman's tipi.
(d) His son's bedside.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of lawyers are most of the players on Steve's team?
2. At the end of "The Search Engine," what does Corliss ask Harlan Atwater for that he does not give her?
3. Which of the following statements does not describe the woman's life in "Can I Get a Witness?"
4. How many people die in the bomb explosion in "Can I Get a Witness?"
5. In "Can I Get a Witness?", what kind of work does the woman do?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)