|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Corliss drawn to Harlan Atwater's poetry?
(a) Atwater writes nature poems.
(b) Atwater writes love poems.
(c) Atwater is a Spokane Indian like her.
(d) Atwater's poetry is taught in her English Lit classes.
2. What was the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" doing on September 11th when the World Trade Center attacks occurred?
(a) Flying to Washington, DC.
(b) Collating files at the law firm where she works.
(c) Taking her children to school.
(d) Shopping in New York.
3. Which of the following statements does not describe how the woman has fantasized she would behave if she had been caught in the Twin Towers on September 11th?
(a) She would have let her family think she had died.
(b) She would have helped them escape the Twin Towers.
(c) She would have walked away and started a new life.
(d) She would have disappeared.
4. How does Corliss pay for the SAT-prep course that won her a dozen academic scholarships for college?
(a) She works as a waitress.
(b) Her grandmother loans her the money.
(c) She gets babysitting jobs.
(d) She collects aluminum cans.
5. In "Can I Get a Witness?", where does the woman ask the man to take her?
(a) To the hospital.
(b) To her home.
(c) To his home.
(d) To the police.
6. What are the parents in "Do Not Go Gentle" and the other parents in the hospital sick and tired of?
(a) Hospital cafeteria food.
(b) Waiting for their babies to die.
(c) Doctors and nurses.
(d) Medical bills.
7. How does the woman feel about her children in "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) She wants more children.
(b) She hates them.
(c) She loves them.
(d) She never wanted children.
8. What happens to the baby at the end of "Do Not Go Gentle"?
(a) He recovers fully.
(b) He has a partial recovery.
(c) He stays in his coma
(d) He dies.
9. What do the parents of the baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" do at their baby's hospital bedside?
(b) Beat hand drums and sing powwow songs.
(d) Talk to their son as if he can hear them.
10. Why does Steve in "Lawyer's League" invite Richard to play basketball?
(a) He thinks he can beat Richard.
(b) He wants to diversify the team.
(c) He wants to keep Richard away from Theresa.
(d) He knows Richard is a good player.
11. What is the woman who is the main character of "Can I Get a Witness?" doing at the beginning of the story?
(a) Eating lunch at a restaurant.
(b) Having an affair.
(c) Taking her child to school.
(d) Working at a law firm.
12. How old is the mother of the ailing baby in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
13. What does Richard think Bill's problem with dunking really is?
(d) A bad temper.
14. What does Bill say when Richard dunks the basketball?
(a) You'll beat us for sure.
(b) Dunking doesn't count.
(c) Do it again.
(d) Well done.
15. In "Can I Get a Witness?", how does the woman feel about her husband?
(a) She loves him.
(b) She wishes he made more money.
(c) She hates him.
(d) She wishes he were with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the man and woman in "Can I Get a Witness?" each think about when they first meet?
2. At the end of "The Search Engine," what does Corliss ask Harlan Atwater for that he does not give her?
3. What kind of lawyers are most of the players on Steve's team?
4. Which of the following does not describe the physical appearance of Corliss?
5. To what city does the woman to whom Richard is attracted at the dinner move?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)