|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is something the man and his wife in "Do Not Go Gentle" do with Chocolate Thunder?
(a) Give it to a neighbor.
(b) Bury it.
(c) Use it as a paperweight.
(d) Hang it over their baby's crib as a mobile.
2. What kind of lawyers are most of the players on Steve's team?
(a) Public defenders.
(b) Tax attorneys.
(c) Divorce lawyers.
3. What are the parents in "Do Not Go Gentle" and the other parents in the hospital sick and tired of?
(a) Doctors and nurses.
(b) Waiting for their babies to die.
(c) Hospital cafeteria food.
(d) Medical bills.
4. To what city does the woman to whom Richard is attracted at the dinner move?
5. Who settles a lawsuit out of court in "Lawyer's League"?
(a) Richard and Steve.
(b) Richard and Theresa.
(c) Richard and Bill.
(d) Bill and Steve.
6. Why does Steve in "Lawyer's League" invite Richard to play basketball?
(a) He wants to diversify the team.
(b) He wants to keep Richard away from Theresa.
(c) He knows Richard is a good player.
(d) He thinks he can beat Richard.
7. Which of the following statements does not describe the bomber in "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) Raised in upper-class comfort.
(b) A Syrian American born in Seattle.
(c) A doctoral student in economics.
(d) A Palestinian refugee.
8. How do Corliss's father and uncles feel about poetry?
(a) They hate poetry.
(b) They love poetry.
(c) They like only Native American poetry.
(d) They love to set poetry to music.
9. How many people die in the bomb explosion in "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) Forty two.
(d) One hundred.
10. Who is the woman unable to find at the beginning of "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) Her waiter.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her sons.
(d) Her boss.
11. What kind of poetry does Harlan Atwater write in "The Search Engine"?
(d) Free-verse sonnets.
12. What does Richard think Bill's problem with dunking really is?
(a) A bad temper.
13. Which of the following statements describes the father of Richard, the narrator in "Lawyer's League"?
(a) An African American who played defensive end in college.
(b) An African American politician.
(c) A white pro basketball player.
(d) A Spokane Indian pro basketball star.
14. What happens to the woman after she has a laughing, crying, kicking fit on the man's carpet?
(a) She has a seizure.
(b) She falls and hits her head.
(c) She tries to seduce the man.
(d) She throws up.
15. What kind of work does the man in "Can I Get a Witness?" do?
(a) He designs computer games.
(b) He tends bar.
(c) He drives a taxi.
(d) He owns a nightclub.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Corliss in "The Search Engine"?
2. Which of the following statements does not describe Richard's job experiences?
3. What do the parents of the baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" do at their baby's hospital bedside?
4. Which of the following is not a way Corliss gets a prep school education in high school without attending an expensive prep school?
5. What did the man's ex-wife used to call him in "Can I Get a Witness?"
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)