|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Richard know about the other basketball players from lunchtime games with them?
(a) They have a violent core inside.
(b) They cheat.
(c) They hate Indians.
(d) They play well.
2. Why is Richard surprised to be invited to play basketball in a lawyer's league?
(a) He doesn't play basketball.
(b) He is a lousy basketball player.
(c) He doesn't know the other players.
(d) He's not a lawyer.
3. What kind of lawyers are most of the players on Steve's team?
(a) Tax attorneys.
(c) Divorce lawyers.
(d) Public defenders.
4. What does Richard think Bill's problem with dunking really is?
(c) A bad temper.
5. At the dinner Richard attends, who does he think he could take home, sleep with, and abandon?
(a) An Indian woman at his table.
(c) The Democrat wife.
(d) A black woman at his table.
6. What does Corliss want to buy the white woman she encounters at the Student Union?
(a) Sandwiches and ice cream.
(b) A winter coat.
(c) Poetry books.
(d) College textbooks.
7. What does the unnamed man who is the main character of "Do Not Go Gentle" call sorrow?
(a) Mr. Grief.
(b) The Thunder Bird.
(c) Heart Sickness.
(d) The Eternal Woe.
8. In "The Search Engine," what is the title of Harlan Atwater's poetry book?
(b) Soul Sonnets.
(c) In the Reservation of My Mind.
(d) Indian Heart Songs.
9. How does the woman respond when the man asks her if she was inside the place that just got bombed?
(a) She says yes.
(b) She says nothing.
(c) She lies and says no.
(d) She faints.
10. Which of the following statements describes Richard's mother?
(a) A petite Spokane Indian ballerina.
(b) A white college basketball player.
(c) An African American lawyer.
(d) A Spokane Indian poet.
11. Which of the following statements does not describe the bomber in "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) A Palestinian refugee.
(b) A doctoral student in economics.
(c) Raised in upper-class comfort.
(d) A Syrian American born in Seattle.
12. What does the woman want to drink once she reaches the man's apartment?
13. Which of the following statements does not describe the man who asks the female main character in "Can I Get a Witness" if she's okay after the bombing?
(a) A tall Asian.
(b) A short forty-something Caucasian.
(c) Handsome with kind eyes and a mustache.
(d) Twenty pounds overweight.
14. What happens to the woman after she has a laughing, crying, kicking fit on the man's carpet?
(a) She has a seizure.
(b) She throws up.
(c) She tries to seduce the man.
(d) She falls and hits her head.
15. What kind of toys does the father in "Do Not Go Gentle" intend to buy for his son?
(b) Blocks and a stuffed panda.
(c) Teddy bears, a rattle, and an educational toy.
(d) Interactive toys.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Corliss in "The Search Engine"?
2. What is Bill's nickname in "Lawyer's League"?
3. Which of the following does not describe Harlan Atwater's physical appearance in "The Search Engine"?
4. To what city does the woman to whom Richard is attracted at the dinner move?
5. What kind of poetry does Harlan Atwater write in "The Search Engine"?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)