|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Search Engine," what poet does the man in the Student Union quote at the beginning of the story?
2. What does the unnamed man who is the main character of "Do Not Go Gentle" call sorrow?
(a) Heart Sickness.
(b) The Eternal Woe.
(c) Mr. Grief.
(d) The Thunder Bird.
3. Which of the following does not describe Harlan Atwater's physical appearance in "The Search Engine"?
(a) Dark-skinned yet pasty.
(b) Thick glasses.
(c) Tall and handsome.
(d) Short and fat.
4. What kind of lawyers are most of the players on Steve's team?
(a) Divorce lawyers.
(c) Tax attorneys.
(d) Public defenders.
5. Which of the following statements does not describe how the woman in "Can I Get a Witness?" feels about the people who died on September 11th?
(a) Some of them deserved to die.
(b) Some of them could have been abusing their daughters.
(c) None of them deserved to die.
(d) Some of them could have been cheating on their wives.
6. In "Can I Get a Witness?", what kind of work does the woman do?
(a) She's a dentist.
(b) She's a writer.
(c) She's a teacher.
(d) She's a paralegal.
7. When the man can't get 911 and dials other numbers to test the phone service after the bombing, what is the only number that answers?
(a) Domino's Pizza.
(b) The local newspaper.
(c) Lou's Bail Bonds.
(d) The local hospital.
8. What is the woman who is the main character of "Can I Get a Witness?" doing at the beginning of the story?
(a) Having an affair.
(b) Working at a law firm.
(c) Eating lunch at a restaurant.
(d) Taking her child to school.
9. How many people die in the bomb explosion in "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) Forty two.
(b) One hundred.
10. Which of the following statements describes Richard's mother?
(a) An African American lawyer.
(b) A petite Spokane Indian ballerina.
(c) A Spokane Indian poet.
(d) A white college basketball player.
11. How many people survive the bomb explosion?
(b) Forty one.
(c) One hundred.
12. To what city does the woman to whom Richard is attracted at the dinner move?
13. How does the woman feel about her children in "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) She hates them.
(b) She loves them.
(c) She never wanted children.
(d) She wants more children.
14. Which of the following statements does not describe Richard's job experiences?
(a) He manages the Native Voices Now voter registration drive.
(b) He worked for the first Chinese American governor in the US.
(c) He interned for the first African American mayor of Seattle.
(d) He edited a Seattle newspaper.
15. What happens to the baby at the end of "Do Not Go Gentle"?
(a) He stays in his coma
(b) He dies.
(c) He recovers fully.
(d) He has a partial recovery.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the mother of the ailing baby in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
2. What "dirty secret" does Richard reveal about Indian tribal leaders at the beginning of "Lawyer's League"?
3. To what kind of dinner is Richard invited?
4. What was the woman in "Can I Get a Witness" doing on September 11th when the World Trade Center attacks occurred?
5. Which of the following statements does not describe how the woman has fantasized she would behave if she had been caught in the Twin Towers on September 11th?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)