|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Richard surprised to be invited to play basketball in a lawyer's league?
(a) He is a lousy basketball player.
(b) He doesn't play basketball.
(c) He's not a lawyer.
(d) He doesn't know the other players.
2. What is the woman who is the main character of "Can I Get a Witness?" doing at the beginning of the story?
(a) Working at a law firm.
(b) Taking her child to school.
(c) Eating lunch at a restaurant.
(d) Having an affair.
3. What school does Corliss attend?
(d) Washington State University.
4. Where did Richard grow up?
5. Which of the following statements describes the father of Richard, the narrator in "Lawyer's League"?
(a) An African American politician.
(b) A white pro basketball player.
(c) A Spokane Indian pro basketball star.
(d) An African American who played defensive end in college.
6. At the end of "The Search Engine," what does Corliss ask Harlan Atwater for that he does not give her?
(a) A critique of poetry she's written.
(c) His real name.
7. Who settles a lawsuit out of court in "Lawyer's League"?
(a) Richard and Theresa.
(b) Richard and Bill.
(c) Bill and Steve.
(d) Richard and Steve.
8. Why is Corliss drawn to Harlan Atwater's poetry?
(a) Atwater's poetry is taught in her English Lit classes.
(b) Atwater writes love poems.
(c) Atwater writes nature poems.
(d) Atwater is a Spokane Indian like her.
9. Which of the following statements describes Richard's mother?
(a) A Spokane Indian poet.
(b) An African American lawyer.
(c) A petite Spokane Indian ballerina.
(d) A white college basketball player.
10. What does Richard know about the other basketball players from lunchtime games with them?
(a) They have a violent core inside.
(b) They cheat.
(c) They hate Indians.
(d) They play well.
11. Why do crowds gather to listen to the man and his wife in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
(a) They are famous actors.
(b) They are fighting loudly.
(c) They are both good singers.
(d) They are crying loudly.
12. What did the man's ex-wife used to call him in "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) Honey Bunny.
(b) Big Loser.
(c) Mr. Happy.
(d) Mr. Funny.
13. In "Can I Get a Witness?", where does the woman ask the man to take her?
(a) To the police.
(b) To the hospital.
(c) To her home.
(d) To his home.
14. At the dinner Richard attends, how many other single people are seated at his table?
15. In "The Search Engine," what poet does the man in the Student Union quote at the beginning of the story?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe how the woman has fantasized she would behave if she had been caught in the Twin Towers on September 11th?
2. To what city does the woman to whom Richard is attracted at the dinner move?
3. Which of the following statements does not describe the man who asks the female main character in "Can I Get a Witness" if she's okay after the bombing?
4. Where does "The Search Engine" take place?
5. What does the unnamed man who is the main character of "Do Not Go Gentle" call sorrow?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)