|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe the bomber in "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) A Palestinian refugee.
(b) A Syrian American born in Seattle.
(c) A doctoral student in economics.
(d) Raised in upper-class comfort.
2. Which of the following statements describes Richard's mother?
(a) A petite Spokane Indian ballerina.
(b) An African American lawyer.
(c) A white college basketball player.
(d) A Spokane Indian poet.
3. Why is Richard surprised to be invited to play basketball in a lawyer's league?
(a) He doesn't play basketball.
(b) He is a lousy basketball player.
(c) He doesn't know the other players.
(d) He's not a lawyer.
4. Which of the following does not describe Harlan Atwater's physical appearance in "The Search Engine"?
(a) Short and fat.
(b) Thick glasses.
(c) Tall and handsome.
(d) Dark-skinned yet pasty.
5. What "dirty secret" does Richard reveal about Indian tribal leaders at the beginning of "Lawyer's League"?
(a) Many engage in extramarital affairs.
(b) Many are functionally illiterate.
(c) Many become alcoholics.
(d) Many embezzle tribal funds.
6. Why don't the parents of the baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" name their son at the beginning of the story?
(a) They might give their child up for adoption.
(b) They don't think he'll live.
(c) They don't want the child.
(d) They haven't thought up a good name yet.
7. What school does Corliss attend?
(d) Washington State University.
8. Which of the following statements does not describe the man who asks the female main character in "Can I Get a Witness" if she's okay after the bombing?
(a) A short forty-something Caucasian.
(b) Handsome with kind eyes and a mustache.
(c) A tall Asian.
(d) Twenty pounds overweight.
9. When Corliss searches for information about Harlan Atwater, what does she find out when she e-mails other Indian writers and poets?
(a) Atwater is really a woman.
(b) Atwater is the pen name of a white man.
(c) Atwater is good friends with a well known Indian novelist.
(d) Nothing, none of the other writers has ever heard of him.
10. What does the man in "Can I Get a Witness?" advise the only person he can get on the phone to do?
(a) Help him get the woman to a hospital.
(b) Make free pizza for rescue workers.
(c) Quit his job.
(d) Help rescue people from the bombing site.
11. What is the woman who is the main character of "Can I Get a Witness?" doing at the beginning of the story?
(a) Taking her child to school.
(b) Eating lunch at a restaurant.
(c) Having an affair.
(d) Working at a law firm.
12. Why do crowds gather to listen to the man and his wife in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
(a) They are famous actors.
(b) They are fighting loudly.
(c) They are crying loudly.
(d) They are both good singers.
13. Which of the following statements does not describe what Corliss learns about Harlan Atwater when she finally meets him face to face?
(a) He is a fake.
(b) He never lived on a reservation.
(c) He lived everything he wrote in his poems.
(d) He was raised by white adoptive parents, not Indians.
14. In "Can I Get a Witness?", how does the woman feel about her husband?
(a) She loves him.
(b) She wishes he made more money.
(c) She wishes he were with her.
(d) She hates him.
15. How many other published Spokane Indian poets are there in "The Search Engine" besides Harlan Atwater?
(c) One hundred.
(d) A dozen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the man in "Do Not Go Gentle" when he falls into a waking sleep?
2. Where did Richard grow up?
3. What happens to the man's infant son at the beginning of "Do Not Go Gentle"?
4. Why does Steve in "Lawyer's League" invite Richard to play basketball?
5. In "Can I Get a Witness?", where does the woman ask the man to take her?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)