|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the unnamed man who is the main character of "Do Not Go Gentle" call sorrow?
(a) The Thunder Bird.
(b) The Eternal Woe.
(c) Mr. Grief.
(d) Heart Sickness.
2. When Corliss searches for information about Harlan Atwater, what does she find out from the Spokane Indian tribe?
(a) His father was also a poet.
(b) Nothing, no one has ever heard of him.
(c) Atwater is an alcoholic.
(d) Atwater is from a large and well known Spokane family.
3. What does Richard imagine at the end of "Lawyer's League"?
(a) Marriage to Theresa.
(b) Being President of the U.S.
(c) Defending his fight with Bill at a press conference.
(d) Winning a basketball championship.
4. In "Do Not Go Gentle," how much money does the father think could be collected from the wallets and purses of all his relatives in total?
(a) Less than $20
(b) About one million dollars.
(c) About $512.
(d) About one thousand dollars.
5. Why doesn't Corliss own her own computer?
(a) She's too poor to afford one.
(b) She doesn't need to use computers for her classes.
(c) She doesn't know how to use a computer.
(d) She doesn't like computers.
6. Why does Steve in "Lawyer's League" invite Richard to play basketball?
(a) He wants to keep Richard away from Theresa.
(b) He wants to diversify the team.
(c) He knows Richard is a good player.
(d) He thinks he can beat Richard.
7. Why does the man in "Do Not Go Gentle" think his wife is sadder than he is?
(a) She carried their baby inside her womb.
(b) She loves the baby more.
(c) She doesn't share his faith their child will live.
(d) She is a woman.
8. To where does the man carry the woman at the end of "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) To the police.
(b) To the hospital.
(c) To her home.
(d) To his bed to make love to her.
9. Why is Corliss drawn to Harlan Atwater's poetry?
(a) Atwater's poetry is taught in her English Lit classes.
(b) Atwater writes nature poems.
(c) Atwater writes love poems.
(d) Atwater is a Spokane Indian like her.
10. In "Can I Get a Witness?", how does the woman feel about her husband?
(a) She hates him.
(b) She wishes he made more money.
(c) She wishes he were with her.
(d) She loves him.
11. Which of the following statements does not describe Richard's job experiences?
(a) He manages the Native Voices Now voter registration drive.
(b) He worked for the first Chinese American governor in the US.
(c) He edited a Seattle newspaper.
(d) He interned for the first African American mayor of Seattle.
12. Which of the following statements does not describe the bomber in "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) A doctoral student in economics.
(b) A Syrian American born in Seattle.
(c) Raised in upper-class comfort.
(d) A Palestinian refugee.
13. What school does Corliss attend?
(c) Washington State University.
14. Where does the father in "Do Not Go Gentle" shop for a toy for his baby?
(a) Toys R Us.
(b) The reservation trading post.
(c) The hospital gift shop.
(d) Toys in Babeland.
15. Which of the following statements does not describe how the woman in "Can I Get a Witness?" feels about the people who died on September 11th?
(a) Some of them could have been cheating on their wives.
(b) Some of them could have been abusing their daughters.
(c) Some of them deserved to die.
(d) None of them deserved to die.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of work does the man in "Can I Get a Witness?" do?
2. Which of the following statements describes the father of Richard, the narrator in "Lawyer's League"?
3. What kind of poetry does Harlan Atwater write in "The Search Engine"?
4. Who settles a lawsuit out of court in "Lawyer's League"?
5. What kind of store does the man in "Do Not Go Gentle" mistakenly visit instead of a toy store?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)