|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who settles a lawsuit out of court in "Lawyer's League"?
(a) Richard and Theresa.
(b) Bill and Steve.
(c) Richard and Bill.
(d) Richard and Steve.
2. Which of the following statements does not describe what Corliss learns about Harlan Atwater when she finally meets him face to face?
(a) He was raised by white adoptive parents, not Indians.
(b) He lived everything he wrote in his poems.
(c) He never lived on a reservation.
(d) He is a fake.
3. What does the man in "Can I Get a Witness?" advise the only person he can get on the phone to do?
(a) Quit his job.
(b) Make free pizza for rescue workers.
(c) Help rescue people from the bombing site.
(d) Help him get the woman to a hospital.
4. What do the parents of the baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" do at their baby's hospital bedside?
(a) Talk to their son as if he can hear them.
(d) Beat hand drums and sing powwow songs.
5. Why is Richard surprised to be invited to play basketball in a lawyer's league?
(a) He is a lousy basketball player.
(b) He doesn't play basketball.
(c) He doesn't know the other players.
(d) He's not a lawyer.
6. What kind of poetry does Harlan Atwater write in "The Search Engine"?
(d) Free-verse sonnets.
7. How does Corliss pay for the SAT-prep course that won her a dozen academic scholarships for college?
(a) She works as a waitress.
(b) She collects aluminum cans.
(c) She gets babysitting jobs.
(d) Her grandmother loans her the money.
8. Where does "The Search Engine" take place?
(a) Los Angeles.
(c) New York.
9. Why does the man in "Do Not Go Gentle" think his wife is sadder than he is?
(a) She loves the baby more.
(b) She is a woman.
(c) She doesn't share his faith their child will live.
(d) She carried their baby inside her womb.
10. Which of the following statements does not describe the bomber in "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) Raised in upper-class comfort.
(b) A Palestinian refugee.
(c) A doctoral student in economics.
(d) A Syrian American born in Seattle.
11. Which of the following statements does not describe how the woman has fantasized she would behave if she had been caught in the Twin Towers on September 11th?
(a) She would have helped them escape the Twin Towers.
(b) She would have disappeared.
(c) She would have let her family think she had died.
(d) She would have walked away and started a new life.
12. Which of the following is something the man and his wife in "Do Not Go Gentle" do with Chocolate Thunder?
(a) Bury it.
(b) Give it to a neighbor.
(c) Use it as a paperweight.
(d) Hang it over their baby's crib as a mobile.
13. What is the woman who is the main character of "Can I Get a Witness?" doing at the beginning of the story?
(a) Having an affair.
(b) Taking her child to school.
(c) Eating lunch at a restaurant.
(d) Working at a law firm.
14. Why doesn't Corliss own her own computer?
(a) She doesn't like computers.
(b) She doesn't need to use computers for her classes.
(c) She doesn't know how to use a computer.
(d) She's too poor to afford one.
15. Who directs Corliss to Harlan Atwater's address?
(a) Corliss's father and uncles.
(b) The campus librarian.
(c) A famous Spokane Indian novelist.
(d) A homeless man she meets outside McDonald's.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Can I Get a Witness?", how does the woman feel about her husband?
2. Why does Richard not become involved with the woman to whom he is so attracted at the dinner he attends?
3. What is Bill's nickname in "Lawyer's League"?
4. What kind of toys does the father in "Do Not Go Gentle" intend to buy for his son?
5. In "The Search Engine," what is the title of Harlan Atwater's poetry book?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)