|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is the female main character of "Can I Get a Witness?"
2. Why don't the parents of the baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" name their son at the beginning of the story?
(a) They don't think he'll live.
(b) They haven't thought up a good name yet.
(c) They don't want the child.
(d) They might give their child up for adoption.
3. Which of the following statements does not describe how the woman has fantasized she would behave if she had been caught in the Twin Towers on September 11th?
(a) She would have walked away and started a new life.
(b) She would have helped them escape the Twin Towers.
(c) She would have disappeared.
(d) She would have let her family think she had died.
4. What does Corliss learn about Harlan Atwater from his interview in Radical Seattle Weekly?
(a) He is blind.
(b) He has also written short stories.
(c) He claims to be sacred, traditional, and connected to his tribe.
(d) He is dying of cancer.
5. Which of the following statements describes the father of Richard, the narrator in "Lawyer's League"?
(a) An African American politician.
(b) A white pro basketball player.
(c) A Spokane Indian pro basketball star.
(d) An African American who played defensive end in college.
6. Why is Richard surprised to be invited to play basketball in a lawyer's league?
(a) He doesn't know the other players.
(b) He is a lousy basketball player.
(c) He doesn't play basketball.
(d) He's not a lawyer.
7. Which of the following does not describe the physical appearance of Corliss?
(a) Short and thirty pounds overweight.
(b) Tall with thick glasses.
(c) Large-breasted and wearing red cowboy boots.
(d) Plain-featured with clear, dark brown skin, and long hair.
8. What kind of lawyer is Bill?
(a) A tax attorney.
(b) A prosecutor.
(c) A public defender.
(d) A divorce lawyer.
9. In "Can I Get a Witness?", how does the woman feel about her husband?
(a) She hates him.
(b) She wishes he made more money.
(c) She loves him.
(d) She wishes he were with her.
10. What does the man in "Do Not Go Gentle" overhear in his waking sleep?
(a) Doctors predicting his son will die.
(b) An angel predicting his child will live.
(c) Another grieving father crying over a dying child.
(d) Other grieving fathers insulting a fat woman.
11. What does Richard think Bill's problem with dunking really is?
(b) A bad temper.
12. What does Bill say when Richard steals the ball while Bill is dribbling?
(a) Do it again and you're dead.
(c) You cheated.
(d) Time out.
13. To where does the man carry the woman at the end of "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) To the police.
(b) To her home.
(c) To the hospital.
(d) To his bed to make love to her.
14. Why doesn't Corliss own her own computer?
(a) She doesn't know how to use a computer.
(b) She doesn't like computers.
(c) She doesn't need to use computers for her classes.
(d) She's too poor to afford one.
15. How old is the mother of the ailing baby in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the baby at the end of "Do Not Go Gentle"?
2. Why do crowds gather to listen to the man and his wife in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
3. How many people die in the bomb explosion in "Can I Get a Witness?"
4. Which of the following statements does not describe the woman's life in "Can I Get a Witness?"
5. At the dinner Richard attends, who does he think he could take home, sleep with, and abandon?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)