|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Corliss pay for the SAT-prep course that won her a dozen academic scholarships for college?
(a) Her grandmother loans her the money.
(b) She collects aluminum cans.
(c) She gets babysitting jobs.
(d) She works as a waitress.
2. In "The Search Engine," what is the title of Harlan Atwater's poetry book?
(b) Soul Sonnets.
(c) In the Reservation of My Mind.
(d) Indian Heart Songs.
3. What is the woman who is the main character of "Can I Get a Witness?" doing at the beginning of the story?
(a) Eating lunch at a restaurant.
(b) Working at a law firm.
(c) Having an affair.
(d) Taking her child to school.
4. What happens to the woman after she has a laughing, crying, kicking fit on the man's carpet?
(a) She falls and hits her head.
(b) She tries to seduce the man.
(c) She has a seizure.
(d) She throws up.
5. Why is Richard surprised to be invited to play basketball in a lawyer's league?
(a) He doesn't know the other players.
(b) He is a lousy basketball player.
(c) He's not a lawyer.
(d) He doesn't play basketball.
6. Which of the following does not describe Harlan Atwater's physical appearance in "The Search Engine"?
(a) Tall and handsome.
(b) Short and fat.
(c) Thick glasses.
(d) Dark-skinned yet pasty.
7. What happens when Corliss calls Harlan Atwater on the phone?
(a) Atwater invites her to his home.
(b) Atwater invites her to his next poetry reading.
(c) Although flattered by the call, Atwater hangs up on her.
(d) Atwater flirts with her.
8. Why don't the parents of the baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" name their son at the beginning of the story?
(a) They don't want the child.
(b) They don't think he'll live.
(c) They haven't thought up a good name yet.
(d) They might give their child up for adoption.
9. Who is the woman unable to find at the beginning of "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) Her sons.
(b) Her boss.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her waiter.
10. Why do crowds gather to listen to the man and his wife in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
(a) They are crying loudly.
(b) They are both good singers.
(c) They are fighting loudly.
(d) They are famous actors.
11. What does the man in "Can I Get a Witness?" advise the only person he can get on the phone to do?
(a) Quit his job.
(b) Make free pizza for rescue workers.
(c) Help him get the woman to a hospital.
(d) Help rescue people from the bombing site.
12. What kind of store does the man in "Do Not Go Gentle" mistakenly visit instead of a toy store?
(a) A sex toy store.
(b) A grocery store.
(c) A porn store.
(d) A clothing store.
13. Which of the following statements does not describe the woman's life in "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) She's college-educated and making ten dollars an hour.
(b) She's happy with her job and marriage.
(c) She has a husband and two sons.
(d) She's middle-aged.
14. How do Corliss's father and uncles feel about poetry?
(a) They love poetry.
(b) They like only Native American poetry.
(c) They love to set poetry to music.
(d) They hate poetry.
15. What kind of poetry does Harlan Atwater write in "The Search Engine"?
(c) Free-verse sonnets.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the unnamed man who is the main character of "Do Not Go Gentle" call sorrow?
2. Which of the following does not describe the physical appearance of Corliss?
3. What school does Corliss attend?
4. How many times does the baby die and get resuscitated?
5. In "Can I Get a Witness?", what kind of work does the woman do?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)