|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements describes the father of Richard, the narrator in "Lawyer's League"?
(a) An African American politician.
(b) A Spokane Indian pro basketball star.
(c) A white pro basketball player.
(d) An African American who played defensive end in college.
2. At the end of "The Search Engine," what does Corliss ask Harlan Atwater for that he does not give her?
(b) A critique of poetry she's written.
(d) His real name.
3. How many people survive the bomb explosion?
(c) Forty one.
(d) One hundred.
4. What happens to the woman after she has a laughing, crying, kicking fit on the man's carpet?
(a) She has a seizure.
(b) She tries to seduce the man.
(c) She throws up.
(d) She falls and hits her head.
5. How old is Corliss in "The Search Engine"?
6. In "Can I Get a Witness?", what kind of work does the woman do?
(a) She's a writer.
(b) She's a teacher.
(c) She's a paralegal.
(d) She's a dentist.
7. Why is Corliss drawn to Harlan Atwater's poetry?
(a) Atwater's poetry is taught in her English Lit classes.
(b) Atwater is a Spokane Indian like her.
(c) Atwater writes nature poems.
(d) Atwater writes love poems.
8. Why is Richard surprised to be invited to play basketball in a lawyer's league?
(a) He is a lousy basketball player.
(b) He doesn't play basketball.
(c) He's not a lawyer.
(d) He doesn't know the other players.
9. In "The Search Engine," what is the title of Harlan Atwater's poetry book?
(a) Soul Sonnets.
(c) In the Reservation of My Mind.
(d) Indian Heart Songs.
10. Why do crowds gather to listen to the man and his wife in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
(a) They are both good singers.
(b) They are famous actors.
(c) They are crying loudly.
(d) They are fighting loudly.
11. Which of the following statements does not describe Richard's job experiences?
(a) He edited a Seattle newspaper.
(b) He worked for the first Chinese American governor in the US.
(c) He interned for the first African American mayor of Seattle.
(d) He manages the Native Voices Now voter registration drive.
12. How does the woman respond when the man asks her if she was inside the place that just got bombed?
(a) She lies and says no.
(b) She faints.
(c) She says yes.
(d) She says nothing.
13. Where is the man in "Do Not Go Gentle" when he falls into a waking sleep?
(a) His son's bedside.
(b) A church pew.
(c) A shaman's tipi.
(d) The hospital bathroom.
14. Which of the following is not a way Corliss gets a prep school education in high school without attending an expensive prep school?
(a) Prep school teachers fax her study guides.
(b) Prep school teachers fax her sample student papers.
(c) Prep school teachers tutor her for free.
(d) Prep school teachers send her their reading lists.
15. What kind of lawyer is Bill?
(a) A divorce lawyer.
(b) A tax attorney.
(c) A prosecutor.
(d) A public defender.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the dinner Richard attends, who does he think he could take home, sleep with, and abandon?
2. Why does Richard not become involved with the woman to whom he is so attracted at the dinner he attends?
3. What kind of lawyers are most of the players on Steve's team?
4. What does Bill say when Richard dunks the basketball?
5. What do the man and woman in "Can I Get a Witness?" each think about when they first meet?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)