|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the man's infant son at the beginning of "Do Not Go Gentle"?
(a) He falls down stairs.
(b) He suffocates in his crib.
(c) He has a seizure.
(d) He is in a car accident.
2. In "Can I Get a Witness?", where does the woman ask the man to take her?
(a) To the police.
(b) To her home.
(c) To his home.
(d) To the hospital.
3. When Corliss searches for information about Harlan Atwater, what does she find out from the Spokane Indian tribe?
(a) Atwater is from a large and well known Spokane family.
(b) His father was also a poet.
(c) Atwater is an alcoholic.
(d) Nothing, no one has ever heard of him.
4. Who settles a lawsuit out of court in "Lawyer's League"?
(a) Richard and Bill.
(b) Bill and Steve.
(c) Richard and Steve.
(d) Richard and Theresa.
5. To where does the man carry the woman at the end of "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) To his bed to make love to her.
(b) To the hospital.
(c) To her home.
(d) To the police.
6. How does the woman respond when the man asks her if she was inside the place that just got bombed?
(a) She lies and says no.
(b) She says nothing.
(c) She faints.
(d) She says yes.
7. How many other published Spokane Indian poets are there in "The Search Engine" besides Harlan Atwater?
(c) A dozen.
(d) One hundred.
8. What does the man in "Can I Get a Witness?" advise the only person he can get on the phone to do?
(a) Help him get the woman to a hospital.
(b) Make free pizza for rescue workers.
(c) Help rescue people from the bombing site.
(d) Quit his job.
9. At the end of "The Search Engine," what does Corliss ask Harlan Atwater for that he does not give her?
(c) A critique of poetry she's written.
(d) His real name.
10. Why does the man in "Do Not Go Gentle" think his wife is sadder than he is?
(a) She doesn't share his faith their child will live.
(b) She is a woman.
(c) She carried their baby inside her womb.
(d) She loves the baby more.
11. What does the man in "Do Not Go Gentle" overhear in his waking sleep?
(a) Doctors predicting his son will die.
(b) Another grieving father crying over a dying child.
(c) An angel predicting his child will live.
(d) Other grieving fathers insulting a fat woman.
12. Which of the following statements does not describe the bomber in "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) A doctoral student in economics.
(b) A Palestinian refugee.
(c) Raised in upper-class comfort.
(d) A Syrian American born in Seattle.
13. How many people die in the bomb explosion in "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) One hundred.
(b) Forty two.
14. What kind of work does the man in "Can I Get a Witness?" do?
(a) He drives a taxi.
(b) He designs computer games.
(c) He tends bar.
(d) He owns a nightclub.
15. What does Bill say when Richard steals the ball while Bill is dribbling?
(b) Do it again and you're dead.
(c) You cheated.
(d) Time out.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the parents of the baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" do at their baby's hospital bedside?
2. What does Bill say when Richard dunks the basketball?
3. What does the unnamed man who is the main character of "Do Not Go Gentle" call sorrow?
4. What kind of toys does the father in "Do Not Go Gentle" intend to buy for his son?
5. How old is Corliss in "The Search Engine"?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)