Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not a way Corliss gets a prep school education in high school without attending an expensive prep school?
(a) Prep school teachers fax her study guides.
(b) Prep school teachers fax her sample student papers.
(c) Prep school teachers tutor her for free.
(d) Prep school teachers send her their reading lists.
2. What happens when Corliss calls Harlan Atwater on the phone?
(a) Although flattered by the call, Atwater hangs up on her.
(b) Atwater invites her to his home.
(c) Atwater invites her to his next poetry reading.
(d) Atwater flirts with her.
3. Why does Richard not become involved with the woman to whom he is so attracted at the dinner he attends?
(a) She has cancer.
(b) She would not be a wise choice for his political career.
(c) She is married to his boss.
(d) She is pregnant with another man's child.
4. When Corliss searches for information about Harlan Atwater, what does she find out when she e-mails other Indian writers and poets?
(a) Nothing, none of the other writers has ever heard of him.
(b) Atwater is really a woman.
(c) Atwater is the pen name of a white man.
(d) Atwater is good friends with a well known Indian novelist.
5. What kind of lawyers are most of the players on Steve's team?
(a) Divorce lawyers.
(c) Tax attorneys.
(d) Public defenders.
6. Where did Richard grow up?
7. How many people survive the bomb explosion?
(a) One hundred.
(b) Forty one.
8. Who directs Corliss to Harlan Atwater's address?
(a) Corliss's father and uncles.
(b) The campus librarian.
(c) A homeless man she meets outside McDonald's.
(d) A famous Spokane Indian novelist.
9. What "dirty secret" does Richard reveal about Indian tribal leaders at the beginning of "Lawyer's League"?
(a) Many become alcoholics.
(b) Many are functionally illiterate.
(c) Many embezzle tribal funds.
(d) Many engage in extramarital affairs.
10. In "Can I Get a Witness?", what kind of work does the woman do?
(a) She's a dentist.
(b) She's a paralegal.
(c) She's a writer.
(d) She's a teacher.
11. What does Bill say when Richard dunks the basketball?
(a) You'll beat us for sure.
(b) Well done.
(c) Do it again.
(d) Dunking doesn't count.
12. What does Richard know about the other basketball players from lunchtime games with them?
(a) They have a violent core inside.
(b) They play well.
(c) They hate Indians.
(d) They cheat.
13. In "Can I Get a Witness?", where does the woman ask the man to take her?
(a) To the hospital.
(b) To the police.
(c) To his home.
(d) To her home.
14. What do the parents of the baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" do at their baby's hospital bedside?
(a) Beat hand drums and sing powwow songs.
(c) Talk to their son as if he can hear them.
15. Where is the man in "Do Not Go Gentle" when he falls into a waking sleep?
(a) A shaman's tipi.
(b) His son's bedside.
(c) A church pew.
(d) The hospital bathroom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the baby at the end of "Do Not Go Gentle"?
2. How many people die in the bomb explosion in "Can I Get a Witness?"
3. What school does Corliss attend?
4. What is Bill's nickname in "Lawyer's League"?
5. Which of the following does not describe Harlan Atwater's physical appearance in "The Search Engine"?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)