|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the man in "Do Not Go Gentle" think his wife is sadder than he is?
(a) She loves the baby more.
(b) She doesn't share his faith their child will live.
(c) She carried their baby inside her womb.
(d) She is a woman.
2. What happens to the man's infant son at the beginning of "Do Not Go Gentle"?
(a) He falls down stairs.
(b) He has a seizure.
(c) He is in a car accident.
(d) He suffocates in his crib.
3. What does Richard think Bill's problem with dunking really is?
(c) A bad temper.
4. At the end of "The Search Engine," what does Corliss ask Harlan Atwater for that he does not give her?
(a) A critique of poetry she's written.
(c) His real name.
5. Why do crowds gather to listen to the man and his wife in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
(a) They are fighting loudly.
(b) They are both good singers.
(c) They are famous actors.
(d) They are crying loudly.
6. Which of the following statements does not describe the bomber in "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) A Syrian American born in Seattle.
(b) A Palestinian refugee.
(c) A doctoral student in economics.
(d) Raised in upper-class comfort.
7. Why doesn't Corliss want a white roommate?
(a) Her tribe wants her to socialize with other Indians only.
(b) She is ashamed of her poverty and thinks whites are rich.
(c) She wants a male Indian roommate instead.
(d) White people romanticize Indians as wise and spiritual.
8. Where did Richard grow up?
9. What kind of work does the man in "Can I Get a Witness?" do?
(a) He owns a nightclub.
(b) He tends bar.
(c) He drives a taxi.
(d) He designs computer games.
10. In "Can I Get a Witness?", what kind of work does the woman do?
(a) She's a writer.
(b) She's a dentist.
(c) She's a teacher.
(d) She's a paralegal.
11. How old is Corliss in "The Search Engine"?
12. What are Richard's career goals?
(a) To be a U.S. senator and then run for president.
(b) To start a restaurant.
(c) To be a pro basketball player.
(d) To write novels.
13. How old is the mother of the ailing baby in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
14. To what kind of dinner is Richard invited?
(a) A Republican campaign dinner.
(b) A basketball team's celebratory dinner.
(c) A bipartisan lobbyist dinner.
(d) A college graduation dinner.
15. What is the woman who is the main character of "Can I Get a Witness?" doing at the beginning of the story?
(a) Working at a law firm.
(b) Taking her child to school.
(c) Eating lunch at a restaurant.
(d) Having an affair.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Can I Get a Witness?", how does the woman feel about her husband?
2. Which of the following statements does not describe the woman's life in "Can I Get a Witness?"
3. Why does Steve in "Lawyer's League" invite Richard to play basketball?
4. Why is Richard surprised to be invited to play basketball in a lawyer's league?
5. Which of the following statements does not describe what Corliss learns about Harlan Atwater when she finally meets him face to face?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)