|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What school does Corliss attend?
(d) Washington State University.
2. How does the woman feel about her children in "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) She loves them.
(b) She hates them.
(c) She never wanted children.
(d) She wants more children.
3. At the end of "The Search Engine," what does Corliss ask Harlan Atwater for that he does not give her?
(a) His real name.
(c) A critique of poetry she's written.
4. What are Richard's career goals?
(a) To start a restaurant.
(b) To write novels.
(c) To be a pro basketball player.
(d) To be a U.S. senator and then run for president.
5. What happens to the baby at the end of "Do Not Go Gentle"?
(a) He dies.
(b) He has a partial recovery.
(c) He recovers fully.
(d) He stays in his coma
6. Why do crowds gather to listen to the man and his wife in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
(a) They are crying loudly.
(b) They are fighting loudly.
(c) They are famous actors.
(d) They are both good singers.
7. What kind of lawyer is Bill?
(a) A prosecutor.
(b) A public defender.
(c) A tax attorney.
(d) A divorce lawyer.
8. How many times does the baby die and get resuscitated?
9. How many people survive the bomb explosion?
(b) Forty one.
(d) One hundred.
10. How old is Corliss in "The Search Engine"?
11. What kind of lawyers are most of the players on Steve's team?
(b) Public defenders.
(c) Tax attorneys.
(d) Divorce lawyers.
12. What is the woman who is the main character of "Can I Get a Witness?" doing at the beginning of the story?
(a) Working at a law firm.
(b) Eating lunch at a restaurant.
(c) Having an affair.
(d) Taking her child to school.
13. Which of the following statements does not describe the woman's life in "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) She's college-educated and making ten dollars an hour.
(b) She has a husband and two sons.
(c) She's happy with her job and marriage.
(d) She's middle-aged.
14. What are the parents in "Do Not Go Gentle" and the other parents in the hospital sick and tired of?
(a) Hospital cafeteria food.
(b) Medical bills.
(c) Waiting for their babies to die.
(d) Doctors and nurses.
15. What do the parents name their baby at the end of "Do Not Go Gentle"?
(a) Red Cloud.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Corliss want to buy the white woman she encounters at the Student Union?
2. Which of the following statements does not describe the man who asks the female main character in "Can I Get a Witness" if she's okay after the bombing?
3. Which of the following statements does not describe the bomber in "Can I Get a Witness?"
4. Who settles a lawsuit out of court in "Lawyer's League"?
5. Which of the following statements describes Richard's mother?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)