|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe what Corliss learns about Harlan Atwater when she finally meets him face to face?
(a) He was raised by white adoptive parents, not Indians.
(b) He is a fake.
(c) He never lived on a reservation.
(d) He lived everything he wrote in his poems.
2. Which of the following statements describes Richard's mother?
(a) An African American lawyer.
(b) A Spokane Indian poet.
(c) A white college basketball player.
(d) A petite Spokane Indian ballerina.
3. In "Can I Get a Witness?", what kind of work does the woman do?
(a) She's a dentist.
(b) She's a paralegal.
(c) She's a writer.
(d) She's a teacher.
4. According to the librarian, how many other people have checked out Harlan Atwater's book before Corliss?
(b) One hundred.
(c) One thousand.
5. How many times does the baby die and get resuscitated?
6. What is Bill's nickname in "Lawyer's League"?
(a) Little Bill.
(b) Big Bill.
(c) The Terminator.
(d) Kobe Bryant.
7. Why don't the parents of the baby in "Do Not Go Gentle" name their son at the beginning of the story?
(a) They haven't thought up a good name yet.
(b) They don't want the child.
(c) They don't think he'll live.
(d) They might give their child up for adoption.
8. How many people survive the bomb explosion?
(b) Forty one.
(c) One hundred.
9. How old is the female main character of "Can I Get a Witness?"
10. What do the man and woman in "Can I Get a Witness?" each think about when they first meet?
(a) Whether they will die.
(b) Sleeping together.
(c) Whether they can trust each other.
(d) Where they can find safety.
11. What does Richard know about the other basketball players from lunchtime games with them?
(a) They have a violent core inside.
(b) They hate Indians.
(c) They cheat.
(d) They play well.
12. What did the man's ex-wife used to call him in "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) Big Loser.
(b) Mr. Happy.
(c) Honey Bunny.
(d) Mr. Funny.
13. Why does Richard not become involved with the woman to whom he is so attracted at the dinner he attends?
(a) She is pregnant with another man's child.
(b) She has cancer.
(c) She is married to his boss.
(d) She would not be a wise choice for his political career.
14. What happens when Bill tells Richard to "go home, son"?
(a) Richard goes home.
(b) Richard throws water on Bill.
(c) Richard cusses Bill out.
(d) Richard punches Bill and breaks his nose.
15. What does Bill say when Richard steals the ball while Bill is dribbling?
(a) Time out.
(b) You cheated.
(c) Do it again and you're dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Corliss want a white roommate?
2. What kind of poetry does Harlan Atwater write in "The Search Engine"?
3. What are the parents in "Do Not Go Gentle" and the other parents in the hospital sick and tired of?
4. What does Richard think Bill's problem with dunking really is?
5. Which of the following statements does not describe Richard's job experiences?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)