|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the woman who is the main character of "Can I Get a Witness?" doing at the beginning of the story?
(a) Eating lunch at a restaurant.
(b) Having an affair.
(c) Taking her child to school.
(d) Working at a law firm.
2. In "The Search Engine," what poet does the man in the Student Union quote at the beginning of the story?
3. What does the unnamed man who is the main character of "Do Not Go Gentle" call sorrow?
(a) Mr. Grief.
(b) Heart Sickness.
(c) The Thunder Bird.
(d) The Eternal Woe.
4. What is Bill's nickname in "Lawyer's League"?
(a) The Terminator.
(b) Little Bill.
(c) Big Bill.
(d) Kobe Bryant.
5. Why doesn't Corliss want a white roommate?
(a) She wants a male Indian roommate instead.
(b) Her tribe wants her to socialize with other Indians only.
(c) She is ashamed of her poverty and thinks whites are rich.
(d) White people romanticize Indians as wise and spiritual.
6. Where is the man in "Do Not Go Gentle" when he falls into a waking sleep?
(a) A church pew.
(b) His son's bedside.
(c) A shaman's tipi.
(d) The hospital bathroom.
7. What does Bill say when Richard dunks the basketball?
(a) Dunking doesn't count.
(b) Well done.
(c) Do it again.
(d) You'll beat us for sure.
8. Where does the father in "Do Not Go Gentle" shop for a toy for his baby?
(a) Toys R Us.
(b) Toys in Babeland.
(c) The reservation trading post.
(d) The hospital gift shop.
9. How old is the female main character of "Can I Get a Witness?"
10. When Corliss searches for information about Harlan Atwater, what does she find out when she e-mails other Indian writers and poets?
(a) Nothing, none of the other writers has ever heard of him.
(b) Atwater is really a woman.
(c) Atwater is good friends with a well known Indian novelist.
(d) Atwater is the pen name of a white man.
11. What happens to the man's infant son at the beginning of "Do Not Go Gentle"?
(a) He suffocates in his crib.
(b) He has a seizure.
(c) He falls down stairs.
(d) He is in a car accident.
12. Why does Steve in "Lawyer's League" invite Richard to play basketball?
(a) He wants to keep Richard away from Theresa.
(b) He knows Richard is a good player.
(c) He thinks he can beat Richard.
(d) He wants to diversify the team.
13. Which of the following statements does not describe what Corliss learns about Harlan Atwater when she finally meets him face to face?
(a) He never lived on a reservation.
(b) He lived everything he wrote in his poems.
(c) He was raised by white adoptive parents, not Indians.
(d) He is a fake.
14. What kind of lawyer is Bill?
(a) A prosecutor.
(b) A tax attorney.
(c) A public defender.
(d) A divorce lawyer.
15. According to the librarian, how many other people have checked out Harlan Atwater's book before Corliss?
(a) One hundred.
(d) One thousand.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the mother of the ailing baby in "Do Not Go Gentle"?
2. Which of the following statements does not describe the bomber in "Can I Get a Witness?"
3. What are Richard's career goals?
4. Where does "The Search Engine" take place?
5. How many times does the baby die and get resuscitated?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)