|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe the woman's life in "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) She's middle-aged.
(b) She's happy with her job and marriage.
(c) She's college-educated and making ten dollars an hour.
(d) She has a husband and two sons.
2. What kind of lawyer is Bill?
(a) A divorce lawyer.
(b) A prosecutor.
(c) A tax attorney.
(d) A public defender.
3. What kind of poetry does Harlan Atwater write in "The Search Engine"?
(a) Free-verse sonnets.
4. Why doesn't Corliss want a white roommate?
(a) She is ashamed of her poverty and thinks whites are rich.
(b) Her tribe wants her to socialize with other Indians only.
(c) White people romanticize Indians as wise and spiritual.
(d) She wants a male Indian roommate instead.
5. In "The Search Engine," what poet does the man in the Student Union quote at the beginning of the story?
6. How old is Corliss in "The Search Engine"?
7. What happens to the baby at the end of "Do Not Go Gentle"?
(a) He recovers fully.
(b) He has a partial recovery.
(c) He stays in his coma
(d) He dies.
8. What did the man's ex-wife used to call him in "Can I Get a Witness?"
(a) Mr. Funny.
(b) Honey Bunny.
(c) Mr. Happy.
(d) Big Loser.
9. How old is the female main character of "Can I Get a Witness?"
10. What does Bill say when Richard dunks the basketball?
(a) Well done.
(b) Dunking doesn't count.
(c) You'll beat us for sure.
(d) Do it again.
11. Where did Richard grow up?
12. What happens to the woman after she has a laughing, crying, kicking fit on the man's carpet?
(a) She throws up.
(b) She has a seizure.
(c) She tries to seduce the man.
(d) She falls and hits her head.
13. Where is the man in "Do Not Go Gentle" when he falls into a waking sleep?
(a) The hospital bathroom.
(b) His son's bedside.
(c) A church pew.
(d) A shaman's tipi.
14. What does the woman want to drink once she reaches the man's apartment?
15. How many people survive the bomb explosion?
(a) One hundred.
(c) Forty one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What school does Corliss attend?
2. Which of the following statements describes Richard's mother?
3. Why does Richard not become involved with the woman to whom he is so attracted at the dinner he attends?
4. How do Corliss's father and uncles feel about poetry?
5. At the end of "The Search Engine," what does Corliss ask Harlan Atwater for that he does not give her?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)