|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Prospero conjure in order to derange Alonso, Gonzalo, Antonio and Sebastian while they are resting?
2. While discussing the plan with Caliban, what is Stephano's main objective?
3. Who listens in on Caliban's and Stephano's conversation?
4. Who are "the rabble"?
5. In Act IV, Scene I, Prospero's speech mirrors that of which other character?
Short Essay Questions
1. How, or how not, is Prospero similar to Antonio in Act IV, Scene I?
2. What is Stephano's ulterior motive in the plan to murder Prospero?
3. How does a tempest begin with the Trinculo, Stephano and Caliban subplot?
4. In Prospero's soliloquy after the magical performance, what is the significance of his reference to the nature of being and the nature of life?
5. What spirits does Prospero summon for the magical performance when he sees Ferdinand getting too close to Miranda?
6. How does Gonzalo's understanding about Antonio's and Sebastian's plan reveal a similarity between himself and Ferdinand and Miranda?
7. What does Prospero do following his revelation about the futility of revenge and his self realization?
8. What is the significance of Stephano and Trinculo dressing up in the ostentatious clothing Prospero lays out for them?
9. In Act V, Scene I, why does Prospero whisper to Antonio and Sebastian that he knows of their plans to kill Alonso?
10. Describe the tempest and how it is developed metaphorically throughout the play and eventually ended.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of the musical scenes in The Tempest? What do they do for the plot? The characters? The audience? Cite examples from the play and bear in mind Shakespeare's contemporary period.
Essay Topic 2
Prospero is a puppet master. Evaluate this statement by examining his relationships with others and why you believe it to be true or false. Cite examples from the play that prove or disprove this statement.
Essay Topic 3
Antonio used Prospero and took advantage of him fifteen years prior to the play in Milan. Can it be argued that Alonso was as much a victim of Antonio's manipulation as Prospero was? What about Sebastian? Support your argument with examples from the text.
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)