Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After sending Ariel to release the men from the cave, what does Prospero vow to do?
2. What does Prospero order Ariel to fetch when he is ready to reveal his identity to the men?
3. In Act IV, Scene I, how is Prospero feeling toward Caliban?
4. What does Gonzalo contrast to the character of his present company during the banquet?
5. What is Prospero surprised at when Ariel tells him that Antonio, Alonso, Sebastian and Gonzalo are upset and remorseful?
What is the purpose of the musical scenes in The Tempest? What do they do for the plot? The characters? The audience? Cite examples from the play and bear in mind Shakespeare's contemporary period.
Although the metaphor of a tempest suggests an unnatural upheaval in nature that then returns the environment back to normal, is this the case in the play? Do things return to normal by the play's end? Is there more ambiguity than the idea of a tempest suggests? Why, or why not?
Is Caliban a monster? Is he simply a product of his environment? Argue this question, citing specific examples from the play that either prove or disprove his humanity. What do you think Shakespeare intended?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)