|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Prospero conjure in order to derange Alonso, Gonzalo, Antonio and Sebastian while they are resting?
2. What does Prospero comment on in regard to Alonso and Antonio?
3. What subplot comes to an end at the completion of Act IV, Scene I?
4. What does Caliban ask Stephano to do?
5. What does Prospero order Ariel to do when Stephano, Trinculo and Caliban run off?
Essay Topic 1
"We are such stuff/As dreams are made on." Who says this in a famous soliloquy in "The Tempest?" What is the meaning of this verse? What is its significance in regard to the rest of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Is Caliban a monster? Is he simply a product of his environment? Argue this question, citing specific examples from the play that either prove or disprove his humanity. What do you think Shakespeare intended?
Essay Topic 3
Although the metaphor of a tempest suggests an unnatural upheaval in nature that then returns the environment back to normal, is this the case in the play? Do things return to normal by the play's end? Is there more ambiguity than the idea of a tempest suggests? Why, or why not?
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)