|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the banquet scene reveal about Alonso, Sebastian and Antonio?
2. What is the banquet supposed to elicit in the men?
3. What does Prospero comment on in regard to Gonzalo?
4. At the beginning of Act III, Scene II, who does Caliban vow to serve?
5. Who are "the rabble"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gonzalo's understanding about Antonio's and Sebastian's plan reveal a similarity between himself and Ferdinand and Miranda?
2. What is the significance of Gonzalo's comment about the gentleness of the spirits at the banquet?
3. Describe Prospero's journey that leads to his transformation at the end of the play.
4. Describe the tempest and how it is developed metaphorically throughout the play and eventually ended.
5. In Prospero's soliloquy after the magical performance, what is the significance of his reference to the nature of being and the nature of life?
6. Who does Prospero refer to as "the rabble" prior to the magical performance with the dancing spirits?
7. In Act V, Scene I, what is a clue that Antonio and Sebastian are not as repentant of their past misdeeds as Alonso?
8. Why does Prospero conjure the banquet for Antonio, Alonso, Sebastian and Gonzalo?
9. After Ariel tells Prospero where Antonio, Alonso, and Sebastian are, what causes Prospero to realize that it is not revenge he wants, but penitence?
10. What is the significance of Stephano and Trinculo dressing up in the ostentatious clothing Prospero lays out for them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prospero uses his magic to conjure a banquet for his enemies. Why does he do this, rather than use his magic in a different way to punish them? What is the significance of the banquet? What was Shakespeare's intention with the inclusion of this scene?
Essay Topic 2
The exposition of a story is the anchor that grounds all details of the plot. However, the placement of exposition within a story can vary. What is your understanding of the exposition in "The Tempest?" Where does it take place? Why does it take place at that point in the play? What is the significance of that placement?
Essay Topic 3
Alonso's character is the only person to appear remorseful for his past misdeeds. Do you believe his remorse to be genuine, or is he as unrepentant as Antonio and Sebastian? Why, or why not? Cite evidence from the play.
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)