|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Prospero realize about himself when Ariel tells him about the men in the cave?
2. What story does Prospero tell Alonso, Gonzalo, Sebastian and Antonio?
3. When Trinculo and Stephano wonder where the music is coming from, what is Caliban's reasoning?
4. What do Ariel and Prospero do to disguise themselves from Caliban, Trinculo and Stephano?
5. After sending Ariel to release the men from the cave, what does Prospero vow to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ariel meddle with the Stephano, Trinculo and Caliban trio in Scene II of Act III?
2. How does Caliban reveal his humane side in Act III, Scene II?
3. In Act V, Scene I, why does Prospero whisper to Antonio and Sebastian that he knows of their plans to kill Alonso?
4. Do you think Prospero will actually give up his magic? He only talks of it, but does not actually do it. Why or why not?
5. What is the significance of Stephano and Trinculo dressing up in the ostentatious clothing Prospero lays out for them?
6. After Ariel tells Prospero where Antonio, Alonso, and Sebastian are, what causes Prospero to realize that it is not revenge he wants, but penitence?
7. What is Stephano's ulterior motive in the plan to murder Prospero?
8. In Prospero's soliloquy after the magical performance, what is the significance of his reference to the nature of being and the nature of life?
9. What does Prospero do following his revelation about the futility of revenge and his self realization?
10. Following the magical performance with dancing spirits, Prospero recites one of two famous soliloquies. What does he speak of in the soliloquy and who does he parallel with this soliloquy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of the exposition within a story? What does it do? Where in The Tempest is the exposition? Think about character development, plot and foreshadowing of events to come. Cite examples from the play's exposition that accomplish these objectives.
Essay Topic 2
Who and what is Ariel? He was already on the island before Prospero arrived, but all of the other spirits are conjured by Prospero. They only exist within the play because Prospero bids them. Does Ariel fall into this category, or is he an independent spirit? If Ariel has his own magical powers, why does he serve Prospero when he could use his powers to leave? Support your response with specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
Antonio's character is tested by Prospero throughout the course of the play. Is he truly remorseful for his past wrongdoings, or does he just feel threatened by Prospero? Why, or why not? Cite examples from scenes where Antonio is tested by Prospero and explain how Antonio passes or fails those tests.
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)