|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Prospero ask in his soliloquy at the play's end?
2. What part of the scene in which Caliban plans the assassination is somewhat poetic and shows the depth of Caliban?
3. What does Prospero conjure in order to derange Alonso, Gonzalo, Antonio and Sebastian while they are resting?
4. What does Prospero order Ariel to fetch when he is ready to reveal his identity to the men?
5. In Act V, Scene I, who do Sebastian and Antonio make jokes about after Ariel brings everyone back?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shakespearean plays tend to have comic relief characters to lighten the drama that is taking place. Describe the characters involved in the Caliban, Trinculo and Stephano trio. What are the comical elements of their scenes? How do they make light of the more serious subplots in the play? What do their scenes do for the play's plot?
Essay Topic 2
Alonso's character is the only person to appear remorseful for his past misdeeds. Do you believe his remorse to be genuine, or is he as unrepentant as Antonio and Sebastian? Why, or why not? Cite evidence from the play.
Essay Topic 3
Prospero was always interested in studying and learning, and he applied these interests to his magic book on the island. He uses the powers he gained from the book to teach his enemies a lesson. Was Prospero simply delighting in the use of his magical powers? If so, is it logical to think he will just give them up as he claims he will? Why, or why not? Cite examples from the play to support your response.
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)