|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Caliban talk about at length to Stephano?
2. What does the banquet scene reveal about Alonso, Sebastian and Antonio?
3. Why does Prospero abruptly stop the marriage ceremony and change his mood?
4. What does Stephano admit to Prospero at the end of the play?
5. In his soliloquy in Act IV, Scene I, what does Prospero insinuate a personal connection to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Caliban reveal his humane side in Act III, Scene II?
2. Why does Prospero, in Act IV, Scene I, decide to torment Trinculo, Stephano and Caliban rather than continue his revenge on Antonio?
3. How does the tempest created by Caliban, Trinculo and Stephano come to an end after they put on the gaudy clothes?
4. Why does Prospero conjure the banquet for Antonio, Alonso, Sebastian and Gonzalo?
5. Following the magical performance with dancing spirits, Prospero recites one of two famous soliloquies. What does he speak of in the soliloquy and who does he parallel with this soliloquy?
6. What does Prospero do following his revelation about the futility of revenge and his self realization?
7. What spirits does Prospero summon for the magical performance when he sees Ferdinand getting too close to Miranda?
8. How does a tempest begin with the Trinculo, Stephano and Caliban subplot?
9. Who does Prospero refer to as "the rabble" prior to the magical performance with the dancing spirits?
10. In Act V, Scene I, why does Prospero whisper to Antonio and Sebastian that he knows of their plans to kill Alonso?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The exposition of a story is the anchor that grounds all details of the plot. However, the placement of exposition within a story can vary. What is your understanding of the exposition in "The Tempest?" Where does it take place? Why does it take place at that point in the play? What is the significance of that placement?
Essay Topic 2
What is the purpose of the musical scenes in The Tempest? What do they do for the plot? The characters? The audience? Cite examples from the play and bear in mind Shakespeare's contemporary period.
Essay Topic 3
Who and what is Ariel? He was already on the island before Prospero arrived, but all of the other spirits are conjured by Prospero. They only exist within the play because Prospero bids them. Does Ariel fall into this category, or is he an independent spirit? If Ariel has his own magical powers, why does he serve Prospero when he could use his powers to leave? Support your response with specific examples from the play.
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)