|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Trinculo and Stephano threaten to beat Caliban?
2. What does Ariel ask Prospero before going to fetch Caliban, Trinculo and Stephano?
3. What is Prospero surprised at when Ariel tells him that Antonio, Alonso, Sebastian and Gonzalo are upset and remorseful?
4. In Act IV, Scene I, how is Prospero feeling toward Caliban?
5. Who provides music and sings along with Stephano and Trinculo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Prospero, in Act IV, Scene I, decide to torment Trinculo, Stephano and Caliban rather than continue his revenge on Antonio?
2. How does the tempest created by Caliban, Trinculo and Stephano come to an end after they put on the gaudy clothes?
3. After Ariel tells Prospero where Antonio, Alonso, and Sebastian are, what causes Prospero to realize that it is not revenge he wants, but penitence?
4. How does Caliban reveal his humane side in Act III, Scene II?
5. How does Ariel meddle with the Stephano, Trinculo and Caliban trio in Scene II of Act III?
6. How, or how not, is Prospero similar to Antonio in Act IV, Scene I?
7. In Prospero's soliloquy after the magical performance, what is the significance of his reference to the nature of being and the nature of life?
8. Who does Prospero refer to as "the rabble" prior to the magical performance with the dancing spirits?
9. Do you think Prospero will actually give up his magic? He only talks of it, but does not actually do it. Why or why not?
10. How does Ariel instill remorse in some of the characters when he appears following the banquet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Antonio's character is tested by Prospero throughout the course of the play. Is he truly remorseful for his past wrongdoings, or does he just feel threatened by Prospero? Why, or why not? Cite examples from scenes where Antonio is tested by Prospero and explain how Antonio passes or fails those tests.
Essay Topic 2
Symbolically, what does the scene involving Caliban, Trinculo, Stephano and the gaudy clothing mean? When Trinculo and Stephano put the clothes on, what and who do they represent?
Essay Topic 3
Who and what is Ariel? He was already on the island before Prospero arrived, but all of the other spirits are conjured by Prospero. They only exist within the play because Prospero bids them. Does Ariel fall into this category, or is he an independent spirit? If Ariel has his own magical powers, why does he serve Prospero when he could use his powers to leave? Support your response with specific examples from the play.
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)