|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Act III, Scene II, who does Caliban vow to serve?
2. What does Prospero order Ariel to do when Stephano, Trinculo and Caliban run off?
3. Who does Prospero feel betrayed by in Act IV, Scene I?
4. What does Prospero order Ariel to fetch when he is ready to reveal his identity to the men?
5. How does Ariel appear to the men during the banquet?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gonzalo's understanding about Antonio's and Sebastian's plan reveal a similarity between himself and Ferdinand and Miranda?
2. In Prospero's soliloquy after the magical performance, what is the significance of his reference to the nature of being and the nature of life?
3. What does Prospero do following his revelation about the futility of revenge and his self realization?
4. How does the tempest created by Caliban, Trinculo and Stephano come to an end after they put on the gaudy clothes?
5. Who does Prospero refer to as "the rabble" prior to the magical performance with the dancing spirits?
6. Do you think Prospero will actually give up his magic? He only talks of it, but does not actually do it. Why or why not?
7. How does Ariel meddle with the Stephano, Trinculo and Caliban trio in Scene II of Act III?
8. Following the magical performance with dancing spirits, Prospero recites one of two famous soliloquies. What does he speak of in the soliloquy and who does he parallel with this soliloquy?
9. Describe Prospero's journey that leads to his transformation at the end of the play.
10. In Prospero's final speech at the play's end, what is the significance of his contemplation of his death? How does it link to his now ended revenge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of the musical scenes in The Tempest? What do they do for the plot? The characters? The audience? Cite examples from the play and bear in mind Shakespeare's contemporary period.
Essay Topic 2
"We are such stuff/As dreams are made on." Who says this in a famous soliloquy in "The Tempest?" What is the meaning of this verse? What is its significance in regard to the rest of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Antonio used Prospero and took advantage of him fifteen years prior to the play in Milan. Can it be argued that Alonso was as much a victim of Antonio's manipulation as Prospero was? What about Sebastian? Support your argument with examples from the text.
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)