|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Prospero conjure the spirits to dance for Ferdinand and Miranda?
2. What are Trinculo, Stephano and Caliban arguing about in their drunken stupor?
3. What does Caliban ask Stephano to do?
4. Who accuses Alonso, Antonio and Sebastian of being the men of sin?
5. What does Alonso do when Prospero reveals Ferdinand and Miranda to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Ariel tells Prospero where Antonio, Alonso, and Sebastian are, what causes Prospero to realize that it is not revenge he wants, but penitence?
2. Who does Prospero refer to as "the rabble" prior to the magical performance with the dancing spirits?
3. How does Ariel instill remorse in some of the characters when he appears following the banquet?
4. Do you think Prospero will actually give up his magic? He only talks of it, but does not actually do it. Why or why not?
5. How does Ariel meddle with the Stephano, Trinculo and Caliban trio in Scene II of Act III?
6. In Act V, Scene I, what is a clue that Antonio and Sebastian are not as repentant of their past misdeeds as Alonso?
7. In Prospero's soliloquy after the magical performance, what is the significance of his reference to the nature of being and the nature of life?
8. What is the significance of Stephano and Trinculo dressing up in the ostentatious clothing Prospero lays out for them?
9. What does Prospero do following his revelation about the futility of revenge and his self realization?
10. How does a tempest begin with the Trinculo, Stephano and Caliban subplot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Antonio's character is tested by Prospero throughout the course of the play. Is he truly remorseful for his past wrongdoings, or does he just feel threatened by Prospero? Why, or why not? Cite examples from scenes where Antonio is tested by Prospero and explain how Antonio passes or fails those tests.
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of the exposition within a story? What does it do? Where in The Tempest is the exposition? Think about character development, plot and foreshadowing of events to come. Cite examples from the play's exposition that accomplish these objectives.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of Miranda and Ferdinand's union? Is it true love, or a scheme orchestrated by Prospero? What role does it play in "The Tempest?" Cite specific examples from the text.
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)