|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Prospero feel betrayed by in Act IV, Scene I?
2. What does Alonso do when Prospero reveals Ferdinand and Miranda to him?
3. What does Prospero bury in the earth?
4. What does Alonso wonder about when he sees that Trinculo, Stephano and Caliban are intoxicated?
5. What motif does the scene between Caliban, Trinculo and Stephano and their assassination plan reflect?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act V, Scene I, why does Prospero whisper to Antonio and Sebastian that he knows of their plans to kill Alonso?
2. How, or how not, is Prospero similar to Antonio in Act IV, Scene I?
3. Describe Prospero's journey that leads to his transformation at the end of the play.
4. How does Gonzalo's understanding about Antonio's and Sebastian's plan reveal a similarity between himself and Ferdinand and Miranda?
5. In Prospero's final speech at the play's end, what is the significance of his contemplation of his death? How does it link to his now ended revenge?
6. What does Prospero do following his revelation about the futility of revenge and his self realization?
7. How does Ariel instill remorse in some of the characters when he appears following the banquet?
8. How does Ariel meddle with the Stephano, Trinculo and Caliban trio in Scene II of Act III?
9. Describe the tempest and how it is developed metaphorically throughout the play and eventually ended.
10. How does a tempest begin with the Trinculo, Stephano and Caliban subplot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prospero was always interested in studying and learning, and he applied these interests to his magic book on the island. He uses the powers he gained from the book to teach his enemies a lesson. Was Prospero simply delighting in the use of his magical powers? If so, is it logical to think he will just give them up as he claims he will? Why, or why not? Cite examples from the play to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Alonso's character is the only person to appear remorseful for his past misdeeds. Do you believe his remorse to be genuine, or is he as unrepentant as Antonio and Sebastian? Why, or why not? Cite evidence from the play.
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of the exposition within a story? What does it do? Where in The Tempest is the exposition? Think about character development, plot and foreshadowing of events to come. Cite examples from the play's exposition that accomplish these objectives.
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)