|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gonzalo contrast to the character of his present company during the banquet?
2. What does Prospero throw into the ocean?
3. What are Trinculo, Stephano and Caliban arguing about in their drunken stupor?
4. Which character says: "We are such stuff/As dreams are made on"?
5. In Act V, Scene I, who do Sebastian and Antonio make jokes about after Ariel brings everyone back?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The exposition of a story is the anchor that grounds all details of the plot. However, the placement of exposition within a story can vary. What is your understanding of the exposition in "The Tempest?" Where does it take place? Why does it take place at that point in the play? What is the significance of that placement?
Essay Topic 2
Is Caliban a monster? Is he simply a product of his environment? Argue this question, citing specific examples from the play that either prove or disprove his humanity. What do you think Shakespeare intended?
Essay Topic 3
Antonio used Prospero and took advantage of him fifteen years prior to the play in Milan. Can it be argued that Alonso was as much a victim of Antonio's manipulation as Prospero was? What about Sebastian? Support your argument with examples from the text.
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)