Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After sending Ariel to release the men from the cave, what does Prospero vow to do?
2. What does Prospero order Ariel to fetch when he is ready to reveal his identity to the men?
3. In Act IV, Scene I, how is Prospero feeling toward Caliban?
4. What does Gonzalo contrast to the character of his present company during the banquet?
5. What is Prospero surprised at when Ariel tells him that Antonio, Alonso, Sebastian and Gonzalo are upset and remorseful?
Essay Topic 1
Who and what is Ariel? He was already on the island before Prospero arrived, but all of the other spirits are conjured by Prospero. They only exist within the play because Prospero bids them. Does Ariel fall into this category, or is he an independent spirit? If Ariel has his own magical powers, why does he serve Prospero when he could use his powers to leave? Support your response with specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
Based on Prospero's character throughout the play and your personal thoughts on whether or not he truly underwent a "transformation," write an epilogue for The Tempest. Five or ten years following their departure from the island, write what you believe would happen over the course of that time given what you understand about the play and what seems most logical. What happens to all of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of Miranda and Ferdinand's union? Is it true love, or a scheme orchestrated by Prospero? What role does it play in "The Tempest?" Cite specific examples from the text.
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)