|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Gonzalo's comments about the dancing nymphs important during the banquet scene?
2. What does Prospero order Ariel to do when Stephano, Trinculo and Caliban run off?
3. What is Prospero surprised at when Ariel tells him that Antonio, Alonso, Sebastian and Gonzalo are upset and remorseful?
4. Prospero distracts the three men from their plan of revenge; who distracts Prospero from his?
5. Who does Prospero feel betrayed by in Act IV, Scene I?
Essay Topic 1
Symbolically, what does the scene involving Caliban, Trinculo, Stephano and the gaudy clothing mean? When Trinculo and Stephano put the clothes on, what and who do they represent?
Essay Topic 2
Prospero is a puppet master. Evaluate this statement by examining his relationships with others and why you believe it to be true or false. Cite examples from the play that prove or disprove this statement.
Essay Topic 3
Prospero uses his magic to conjure a banquet for his enemies. Why does he do this, rather than use his magic in a different way to punish them? What is the significance of the banquet? What was Shakespeare's intention with the inclusion of this scene?
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)