|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What spirits does Prospero conjure after blessing Ferdinand and Miranda's marriage?
2. What does Stephano admit to Prospero at the end of the play?
3. What does Prospero order Ariel to do when Stephano, Trinculo and Caliban run off?
4. In speaking to Stephano, what does Caliban describe as very important?
5. Who are "the rabble"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gonzalo's understanding about Antonio's and Sebastian's plan reveal a similarity between himself and Ferdinand and Miranda?
2. How does a tempest begin with the Trinculo, Stephano and Caliban subplot?
3. What is the significance of Gonzalo's comment about the gentleness of the spirits at the banquet?
4. Describe the tempest and how it is developed metaphorically throughout the play and eventually ended.
5. Following the magical performance with dancing spirits, Prospero recites one of two famous soliloquies. What does he speak of in the soliloquy and who does he parallel with this soliloquy?
6. After Ariel tells Prospero where Antonio, Alonso, and Sebastian are, what causes Prospero to realize that it is not revenge he wants, but penitence?
7. Describe Prospero's journey that leads to his transformation at the end of the play.
8. What is the significance of Stephano and Trinculo dressing up in the ostentatious clothing Prospero lays out for them?
9. In Prospero's soliloquy after the magical performance, what is the significance of his reference to the nature of being and the nature of life?
10. How does the tempest created by Caliban, Trinculo and Stephano come to an end after they put on the gaudy clothes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The exposition of a story is the anchor that grounds all details of the plot. However, the placement of exposition within a story can vary. What is your understanding of the exposition in "The Tempest?" Where does it take place? Why does it take place at that point in the play? What is the significance of that placement?
Essay Topic 2
Antonio used Prospero and took advantage of him fifteen years prior to the play in Milan. Can it be argued that Alonso was as much a victim of Antonio's manipulation as Prospero was? What about Sebastian? Support your argument with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Symbolically, what does the scene involving Caliban, Trinculo, Stephano and the gaudy clothing mean? When Trinculo and Stephano put the clothes on, what and who do they represent?
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)