|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By the beginning of Act III, Scene II, what is the state of Caliban, Trinculo and Stephano?
2. What does Alonso wonder about when he sees that Trinculo, Stephano and Caliban are intoxicated?
3. What part of the scene in which Caliban plans the assassination is somewhat poetic and shows the depth of Caliban?
4. What do Ariel and Prospero do to disguise themselves from Caliban, Trinculo and Stephano?
5. Who provides music and sings along with Stephano and Trinculo?
Essay Topic 1
Antonio's character is tested by Prospero throughout the course of the play. Is he truly remorseful for his past wrongdoings, or does he just feel threatened by Prospero? Why, or why not? Cite examples from scenes where Antonio is tested by Prospero and explain how Antonio passes or fails those tests.
Essay Topic 2
Ferdinand, Miranda and Gonzalo are considered moral beacons throughout the play. Compare them to other characters in the play, citing examples where their moral and pure characteristics directly contrast with the play's more treacherous characters.
Essay Topic 3
Prospero uses his magic to conjure a banquet for his enemies. Why does he do this, rather than use his magic in a different way to punish them? What is the significance of the banquet? What was Shakespeare's intention with the inclusion of this scene?
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)