Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After sending Ariel to release the men from the cave, what does Prospero vow to do?
2. What does Prospero order Ariel to fetch when he is ready to reveal his identity to the men?
3. In Act IV, Scene I, how is Prospero feeling toward Caliban?
4. What does Gonzalo contrast to the character of his present company during the banquet?
5. What is Prospero surprised at when Ariel tells him that Antonio, Alonso, Sebastian and Gonzalo are upset and remorseful?
Essay Topic 1
Shakespearean plays tend to have comic relief characters to lighten the drama that is taking place. Describe the characters involved in the Caliban, Trinculo and Stephano trio. What are the comical elements of their scenes? How do they make light of the more serious subplots in the play? What do their scenes do for the play's plot?
Essay Topic 2
Prospero uses his magic to conjure a banquet for his enemies. Why does he do this, rather than use his magic in a different way to punish them? What is the significance of the banquet? What was Shakespeare's intention with the inclusion of this scene?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the title "The Tempest"? What does it symbolize? Cite specific examples of how this symbolism is used in the play.
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)