|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rubber doll did Dudley Knott carry with him everywhere?
2. What type of cedar trees does the author describe, as a smell of "the island?"
3. When the author asked another of his atheist students what he have faith in, the student replied he had faith in ____.
4. What did Knights of the Order of the Bath keep an all night vigil over the day before a king's coronation?
5. In what year was "The Sacred Journey" written?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Dudley Knott? What challenges did he overcome? What types of work did he do? How did he become acquainted with the author? Why was the author astonished and delighted to know Knott? How did Knott die?
Essay Topic 2
On page 10 of the book, the author writes that "don't talk, don't trust, don't feel" is supposed to be the unwritten law of dysfunctional families. How does this "law" manifest itself in the author's life as a child when his father commits suicide, as well as in the immediate events following his father's death (e.g. the lack of a funeral, the family move out of the country, the mother's behavior, ...); and how does the "law manifest itself in later events involving the author and his brother's relationship with their mother as she aged?
Essay Topic 3
In Part Two of the book, the author talks about the "mystery" of Genesis 1:26-27. What is the "mystery" and how does this relate to what the author calls our deepest, original self? What happens to this original self after the world "does its work?" What does the author mean when he talks about the weather of the world, hats and coats, and "all our other selves?"
This section contains 1,456 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)