|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In relation to the White Tower, where does the author say he spent many of his dark days?
2. In the 1950s, the author attended theological seminary in what city?
3. The author states that he has underlying questions, just like his sick daughter, about love, trust, fear, loss and _______.
4. In "The White Tower", the author describes his father as the young man in the gray slacks and maroon _______.
5. According to the author, what could you buy in the island shop called Trimingham's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dream did the author have about a hotel?
2. How do our other selves develop as explained in Part Two of "Telling Secrets?"
3. How did the author's kids connect him with the outside world when they were small?
4. Why does the author go to Bermuda as a child?
5. What can you tell about the author and his time at Union Theological Seminary?
6. What did the author expect in a Harvard teaching experience that he did not get when he actually taught at Harvard Divinity School?
7. Who is Naya?
8. How does the author connect his feelings to what he describes about the Tower in London?
9. What differences did the author write about among Union students as well as what they all shared?
10. How did the author feel about his kids once they were older and how did this affect his life once they left home as adults?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Dudley Knott? What challenges did he overcome? What types of work did he do? How did he become acquainted with the author? Why was the author astonished and delighted to know Knott? How did Knott die?
Essay Topic 2
The author talks about being as deaf about his family and himself as his mother was, even with a purse full of half or not working hearing aids. The author uses two pieces of stained glass in his office to help readers understand this time in his life. Explain how the author felt he was "deaf" about his life and how he used the stained glass pieces to convey these experiences, thoughts and feelings to readers.
Essay Topic 3
Why does the author attend St. Barnabas Episcopal Church? How is this place more at home for him than another Church? Why does the author enjoy the chanting so much? Who is Robert MacFarlane, and how does he impact the author's connection with this church?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)