|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rubber doll did Dudley Knott carry with him everywhere?
2. When the author and his brother lived in _____ they had a nurse who dropped her teeth at will.
3. What color was the house the author and his family lived in on the island, in a town called Paget?
4. Which was the employer of the driver who later gave the author the license plate with the encouraging word imprinted on it that the author saw passing on the road?
5. In what year was "Now and Then" written?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the author attend St. Barnabas Episcopal Church? How is this place more at home for him than another Church? Why does the author enjoy the chanting so much? Who is Robert MacFarlane, and how does he impact the author's connection with this church?
Essay Topic 2
The author talks about being as deaf about his family and himself as his mother was, even with a purse full of half or not working hearing aids. The author uses two pieces of stained glass in his office to help readers understand this time in his life. Explain how the author felt he was "deaf" about his life and how he used the stained glass pieces to convey these experiences, thoughts and feelings to readers.
Essay Topic 3
The author talks about the pluralism of Harvard Divinity School. What makes Harvard pluralistic (as described by the author)? What happens in the author's Harvard classroom that helps him conclude that pluralism can become factionalism? What is factionalism (as presented in the book)?
This section contains 1,468 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)