|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the author go to wait with a friend who got news about a family accident?
2. When the author asked another of his atheist students what he have faith in, the student replied he had faith in ____.
3. The scripture passage in the beginning of Part Two of the book says that we were created in the likeness and image of who?
4. According to the author, besides himself, who else to some degree is like the White Tower?
5. According to the author what batters and shapes us in all sorts of ways?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author describe about the Tower of London?
2. Who goes to Bermuda with the author when he is a child and how does he describe their arrival in Bermuda?
3. How do our other selves develop as explained in Part Two of "Telling Secrets?"
4. What did the author expect in a Harvard teaching experience that he did not get when he actually taught at Harvard Divinity School?
5. How does the author connect his feelings to what he describes about the Tower in London?
6. When do Dudley Knott and the author become friends?
7. What differences did the author write about among Union students as well as what they all shared?
8. Besides complaints about him praying in his first class at Harvard, what other surprises did the author's students give him?
9. How did the author's kids connect him with the outside world when they were small?
10. Why does the author describe Bermuda as enchanting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of Part One of the book, the author talks about ministers losing themselves and setting aside their own experiences when they preach. Explain this position. Then discuss how the author views such behavior is detrimental not only to the ministers, but their congregations as well. Why does the author include these observations at this point in the book?
Essay Topic 2
After the author's mother-in-law dies, he and his wife spend time in Florida, where he begins seeing another therapist. How does this therapy help him forgive and understand his father? His mother? What did the author dream about that helped this process? What did the author realize he had passed on to his kids after going through this process?
Essay Topic 3
The author talks about the pluralism of Harvard Divinity School. What makes Harvard pluralistic (as described by the author)? What happens in the author's Harvard classroom that helps him conclude that pluralism can become factionalism? What is factionalism (as presented in the book)?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)