|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was in the bowl on top of the bureau in the room of the author's mother?
2. In describing what he learned after his father's death, what does the author consider a means of grace?
3. What was the title of the lost book the author's mother hunted for in her room?
4. In the Introduction, the author tells us that this is his ___ venture into autobiography.
5. In the Introduction, how many books does the author mention that dealt with the headlines of his life?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the author's story, our story?
2. What is the most sacred function of memory?
3. How did the author's mother's aging affect her life?
4. What did the author say he would deal with in this autobiography "Telling Secrets?"
5. Why did the author feel like a dwarf as depicted in C. S. Lewis' "The Last Battle?"
6. How does the author describe God loving us, and loving his daughter?
7. Describe the author's mother's bedroom in her 79th street apartment.
8. How did the author's mother's aging affect her sons' lives?
9. How did author's mom respond to his fictionalized version of his father's death and how did her reaction to this fist telling affect the author's writing about the death later?
10. What was on the stained glass pieces in the author's office?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author taught on the east coast and in the mid-west. Explain his thoughts about each experience, using details from the book. Also, identify the major differences that existed between the two in regards to religious discussions, and the students he taught; and how these differences contributed to the author's experiences.
Essay Topic 2
Why does the author attend St. Barnabas Episcopal Church? How is this place more at home for him than another Church? Why does the author enjoy the chanting so much? Who is Robert MacFarlane, and how does he impact the author's connection with this church?
Essay Topic 3
What happened in the author's dream about a hotel (provide details)? What did the room come to mean to the author? In reality what represented Eden to the author and why?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)