|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is the book "Godric" dedicated?
2. How many years after his father's suicide did the author write "The Return of Ansel Gibbs?"
3. In the Introduction, how many books does the author mention that dealt with the headlines of his life?
4. What was the make of the family car used for the 1936 suicide?
5. According to the author, what is the doorway to healing and forgiveness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the author's mother's bedroom in her 79th street apartment.
2. How did the daughter being sick affect the author?
3. What was on the stained glass pieces in the author's office?
4. How did the author's mother's aging affect her life?
5. How did author's mom respond to his fictionalized version of his father's death and how did her reaction to this fist telling affect the author's writing about the death later?
6. According to the author, how does memory help us finish with the past?
7. How does the author describe his father's suicide?
8. Why is the author telling his secrets?
9. Why/how does the author identify with one of the stained glass images?
10. How did the author's mother's aging affect her sons' lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Dudley Knott? What challenges did he overcome? What types of work did he do? How did he become acquainted with the author? Why was the author astonished and delighted to know Knott? How did Knott die?
Essay Topic 2
The author talks about the pluralism of Harvard Divinity School. What makes Harvard pluralistic (as described by the author)? What happens in the author's Harvard classroom that helps him conclude that pluralism can become factionalism? What is factionalism (as presented in the book)?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the author attend St. Barnabas Episcopal Church? How is this place more at home for him than another Church? Why does the author enjoy the chanting so much? Who is Robert MacFarlane, and how does he impact the author's connection with this church?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)