|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who refers to themselves as the "last rose of summer?"
2. What is the title of the book the author wrote to tell the story of his father to a child?
3. What was the name of the woman who came nights but according to the author's mother was late because of the subway?
4. What condition made it almost impossible for the author's mom to walk during her last year of life?
5. Where were the ashes of the author's father buried?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the author's mother have so few friends as she got older?
2. What was on the stained glass pieces in the author's office?
3. Why is the author telling his secrets?
4. Describe the author's mother's bedroom in her 79th street apartment.
5. What illness did the author's daughter have and how did it affect her?
6. How did the author's mother's aging affect her sons' lives?
7. According to the author, how does memory help us finish with the past?
8. Why/how does the author identify with one of the stained glass images?
9. How is the author's story, our story?
10. How did the author's mother's aging affect her life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After the author's mother-in-law dies, he and his wife spend time in Florida, where he begins seeing another therapist. How does this therapy help him forgive and understand his father? His mother? What did the author dream about that helped this process? What did the author realize he had passed on to his kids after going through this process?
Essay Topic 2
The author writes his own book introduction. What does the introduction reveal about the author? What purpose for the book is explained, and why is he writing another autobiography when he has already penned two such publications? What picture does the author create for the reader about expectations for this book, as well as his state of mind about the book's content?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Dudley Knott? What challenges did he overcome? What types of work did he do? How did he become acquainted with the author? Why was the author astonished and delighted to know Knott? How did Knott die?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)